Photograph as originally submitted to this page
in the Historical Marker Database www.HMdb.org
. Click on photo to resize in browser. Scroll down to see metadata.
Photographer: Barry Swackhamer
Taken: June 24, 2014
Caption: Twillingate Marker
Additional Description: Captions: (top row, left to right) Twillingate - South Side, about 1900; The first bridge between North and South Twillingate Islands was built in 1844. This picture was taken from the bridge in 1905 and show a number of fishing schooners.; Twillingate - North Side, about 1900; (center row, left to right) To the left in this picture is Slade’s original store on the South Side. These premises remained in the Slade family until the 1860s, when they were acquired by a former clerk, Henry J. Earle of Fogo. Earles sold the “room” to William Ashbourne of Twillingate in 1915 - in living memory the premises were known as “Ashbourne’s Upper Trade.”; A souvenir postcard sent by Georgina Stirling from Milan, Italy in 1898 at reads, “To Mr. & Mrs. Titus Manuel With all good wishes for the season from Georgina Stirling.”; The Original Notre Dame Bay Memorial Hospital; (bottom, center) Building were occasionally moved from one location to another in the winter months. When a “house haul” was to take place boys ran around knocking on doors to turn out all able-bodied hands. In Twillingate it was not much trouble to get 200-250 men - their reward a “lunch” at the end of the day’s labour.
Submitted: December 8, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.
Database Locator Identification Number: p294570
File Size: 3.431 Megabytes
To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.