Photograph as originally submitted to this page
in the Historical Marker Database www.HMdb.org
. Click on photo to resize in browser. Scroll down to see metadata.
Photographer: Allen C. Browne
Taken: January 11, 2015
Caption: The Wharf
Additional Description: Dr. Brome owned a bustling steamship wharf just north of the present Maryland Dove dock, starting in the 1840s. During the Civil War, the Union Navy apparently destroyed this wharf in an effort to stop smuggling activities. It was rebuilt in 1874 and steamboats continued to be the primary means of travel to St. Mary's until the 1930s.
Submitted: January 14, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.
Database Locator Identification Number: p298206
File Size: 1.374 Megabytes
To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.