Photograph as originally submitted to this page
in the Historical Marker Database www.HMdb.org
. Click on photo to resize in browser. Scroll down to see metadata.
Photographer: Richard E. Miller
Taken: June 08
Caption: The Middledorf Building and Historic Commandant's Office
Additional Description: The U.S. Navy's oldest active office building, constructed 1837-38, renovated 1993. Note some of the Yard's extensive collection of historic iron ordnance on display in the foreground. On the right is a "Stockton Gun" which once armed the USS Princeton. In the center is a Brooke 7-inch Rifled Cannon from the CSS Tennessee, made famous for actions at the Battle of Mobile Bay. On the right is a 10-inch Brooke Smoothbore from the CSS Columbia, captured at Charleston, S.C.
Submitted: August 10, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.
Database Locator Identification Number: p31239
File Size: 0.744 Megabytes
To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.