Photograph as originally submitted to this page
in the Historical Marker Database www.HMdb.org
. Click on photo to resize in browser. Scroll down to see metadata.
Photographer: Beverly Pfingsten
Taken: August 10, 2008
Caption: Fort Delaware
Additional Description: Fort was built in 1812 to protect Philadelphia from the British. It is a star shaped fort designed to deflect direct hits by cannon shots. Fort Delaware was the largest prisoner of war camp during the Civil War with over 9500 Confederate prisoners housed on the grounds of Pea Patch Island. Costumed reenactors give demonstrations of fort life in 1864.
Submitted: August 13, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Database Locator Identification Number: p31539
File Size: 0.564 Megabytes
To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.