Photograph as originally submitted to this page
in the Historical Marker Database www.HMdb.org
. Click on photo to resize in browser. Scroll down to see metadata.
Photographer: Bill Coughlin
Taken: August 11, 2008
Caption: Marker in Fort Monroe
Additional Description: Fort Monroe was originally called Point Comfort. It is beleived to have been named in 1607 by the original settlers of Jamestown. Captain Christopher Newport anchored the Susan Constant near here on April 28, 1607, and members of his crew rowed to this place "which put them in good comfort."
Submitted: August 16, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Database Locator Identification Number: p31940
File Size: 1.161 Megabytes
To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.