Photograph as originally submitted to this page
in the Historical Marker Database www.HMdb.org
. Click on photo to resize in browser. Scroll down to see metadata.
Photographer: Brandon Fletcher
Taken: October 11, 2008
Caption: Kolb House Marker
Additional Description: General Hooker Questions Prisoners
This hewn log house, built about 1836 by a pioneer settler, Peter Valentine Kolb, is the only surviving structure of about a dozen farms, mills and churches existing within the park at the time of the Civil War. The house sustained light damage during the battle of Kolb's Farm, June 22, 1864. It was possibly the headquarters of Union Maj. Gen. Joseph Hooker. Altered considerably following the war, the Kolb House was restored to its historic appearance in 1964. It is a government quarters and is not open to the public.
Submitted: August 19, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee.
Database Locator Identification Number: p323727
File Size: 4.455 Megabytes
To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.