Photograph as originally submitted to this page
in the Historical Marker Database www.HMdb.org
. Click on photo to resize in browser. Scroll down to see metadata.
Photographer: Brian Scott
Taken: September 21, 2015
Caption: Newtown Battlefield Reservation Marker
Additional Description: According to 1879 newspaper accounts and a plaque inside the first structure, Alfred Searles gave 15 acres to the Newtown Monument Association to build the monument. The "donation," however, does not appear to have been a legal transfer of ownership. His daughter, Hattie Elliot, legally deeded the original park to New York State in 1912 as well as several surrounding parcels in subsequent years.
Submitted: November 6, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Database Locator Identification Number: p337084
File Size: 0.045 Megabytes
To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.