Photograph as originally submitted to this page
in the Historical Marker Database www.HMdb.org
. Click on photo to resize in browser. Scroll down to see metadata.
Photographer: Brian Scott
Taken: September 5, 2008
Caption: Original The Stockade Fort Marker
Additional Description: The British built this "stockade fort on the right" in 1781 on property owned by James Holmes, a Loyalist, to protect the garrison's water supply.
An irregular fortification built around a barn and several out buildings, the stockade was surrounded by a ditch and abatis, and was linked to the town by a communications trench.
When he arrived from Augusta, Georgia, in June 1781, Lt. Col. Henry Lee assumed command of the Patriot attack against the Stockade Fort. In the final American assault on June 18, Lee's men captured the redoubt, but held it only until Greene ordered the attack ended.
Submitted: September 9, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Database Locator Identification Number: p35007
File Size: 2.563 Megabytes
To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.