Photograph as originally submitted to this page
in the Historical Marker Database www.HMdb.org
. Click on photo to resize in browser. Scroll down to see metadata.
Photographer: Allen C. Browne
Taken: April 24, 2016
Caption: 8600 Mulberry Grove Place
Additional Description: The original frame house where John Hanson was born burned on July 25, 1934. This house, begun in 1938 and completed by 1950, replaced it. "Built on the same foundations, the existing structure follows the same basic configuration of the earlier house that is believed to have been built by John Hanson, Jr. shortly after his purchase of the property in 1744." -- MDHT. Dr. Edward J. Edelen and his wife Lexy Edelen moved-in in 1953. According to Herbert J. Stoeckel, "Old materials were used almost exclusively by the Edelens in rebuilding John Hanson's birthplace. Into Hanson House went bricks and woodwork from the Bates-Lincoln House [formerly at 1775 N Street, N.W.] in Washington, demolished in 1950." The house is currently up for sale.
Submitted: April 25, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.
Database Locator Identification Number: p350754
File Size: 3.668 Megabytes
To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.