Photograph as originally submitted to this page
in the Historical Marker Database www.HMdb.org
. Click on photo to resize in browser. Scroll down to see metadata.
Photographer: Michael C. Wilcox
Taken: November 13, 2016
Caption: Photo & history from adjacent Morganton Civil War Trails marker
Additional Description: In 1837, builder James Binnie completed this stone courthouse to replace the first Burke County Courthouse, a wooden structure. From 1847 to 1862, this was the only courthouse outside Raleigh in which the North Carolina Supreme Court convened, to escape the summer heat. The exterior was stuccoed in 1885, and in 1903 architect Frank Milburn raised the porticoes and replaced the simple cupola depicted here with one in the Baroque style. In 1976, the county completed a new courthouse and moved from this building. The Old Burke County Courthouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1970.
Burke County Courthouse, ca.1885
Courtesy Picture Burke, NC Room, Burke County Library
Submitted: November 14, 2016, by Michael C. Wilcox of Winston-Salem, North Carolina.
Database Locator Identification Number: p369237
File Size: 1.435 Megabytes
To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.