Photograph as originally submitted to this page
in the Historical Marker Database www.HMdb.org
. Click on photo to resize in browser. Scroll down to see metadata.
Photographer: Allen C. Browne
Taken: February 11, 2017
Caption: George Peabody
Additional Description: On April 20, 1867, donated a fund to establish a public library in the city of Georgetown, where he had “Commenced business for himself in early Youth."
A Library was maintained from 1875 to 1935 in the Curtis School building under the name of the Peabody Library.
Upon the erection of this building in 1935 the books were placed in the Georgetown Branch of the Public Library. A collection of Historical data relating to Georgetown is maintained in the east room of the second floor.Plaque in the Peabody Room on the 3rd floor of the Georgetown Neighborhood Library
Submitted: February 13, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.
Database Locator Identification Number: p375222
File Size: 2.125 Megabytes
To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.