Photograph as originally submitted to this page
in the Historical Marker Database www.HMdb.org
. Click on photo to resize in browser. Scroll down to see metadata.
Photographer: Andrew Ruppenstein
Taken: May 30, 2017
Caption: Formerly the Astor Library, Now the Joseph Papp Public Theater
Additional Description: The NYPL abandoned the building in 1911, and the books were moved to the NYPL's newly constructed building by Bryant Park. In 1920, the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society purchased it. By 1965 it was in disuse and faced demolition. The Public Theater (then the New York Shakespeare Festival) persuaded the city to purchase it for use as a theater. It was converted for theater use by Giorgio Cavaglieri. The building is a New York City Landmark, designated in 1965. - Wikipedia
Submitted: July 14, 2017, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.
Database Locator Identification Number: p389390
File Size: 2.147 Megabytes
To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.