Photograph as originally submitted to this page
in the Historical Marker Database www.HMdb.org
. Click on photo to resize in browser. Scroll down to see metadata.
Photographer: Bill Coughlin
Taken: November 10, 2006
Caption: East Side of Marker
Additional Description: U. S. Armory fire engine and guardhouse, located near the confluence of the Potomac and Shenandoah rivers, was used by John Brown and his men during the 1859 raid to free enslaved blacks. Exhibited in Chicago during the 1893 World’s Fair, Brown’s Fort returned and in 1909 was erected on the campus of Storer College, WV’s first African American college (1867-1955). Moved to present site in 1968.
Submitted: October 25, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.
Database Locator Identification Number: p40993
File Size: 3.440 Megabytes
To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.