Photograph as originally submitted to this page
in the Historical Marker Database www.HMdb.org
. Click on photo to resize in browser. Scroll down to see metadata.
Photographer: Bill Pfingsten
Taken: November 7, 2008
Caption: The Lodge Descriptive Marker
Additional Description: Visitors coming to Rockwood entered the property through a gate by this lodge, where the gatekeeper lived. Baltimore architects Thomas and James Dixon designed the building in 1855. The building's style and materials introduced visitors to Joseph Shipley's English country house, which they would see at the top of the hill.
Left: Thomas and James Dixon's design for the lodge, 1855.
Middle: The lodge as seen from the gate about 1900.
Right: The lodge, about 1892.
Submitted: November 16, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Database Locator Identification Number: p43763
File Size: 0.972 Megabytes
To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.