Photograph as originally submitted to this page
in the Historical Marker Database www.HMdb.org
. Click on photo to resize in browser. Scroll down to see metadata.
Photographer: Cosmos Mariner
Taken: August 19, 2016
Caption: 1935 Hughes County Courthouse
Additional Description: Work on the new courthouse began in early 1934. The county received a citizensí petition asking that the new courthouse include a facing of native stone. This was not only for aesthetic reasons, but because the use of the stone would result in greater employment of local labor and the expenditure of more of the money in the local community. The walls are cut South Dakota stone, while the trim is Hot Springs, South Dakota sandstone.
Submitted: October 7, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.
Database Locator Identification Number: p448517
File Size: 4.342 Megabytes
To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.