Photograph as originally submitted to this page in the Historical Marker Database Click on photo to resize in browser. Scroll down to see metadata.
Quaker Meeting House
Photographer: Andrew Ruppenstein
Taken: April 24, 2019
Caption: Quaker Meeting House
Additional Description: "Thomas Powell along with other Quaker settlers of the Bethpage Purchase organized the Bethpage Meeting in 1698, and they met in each others homes on "First Day" (Sunday) for worship. They were known as the Bethpage Preparative Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends.... In 1741 the first of three meeting houses was built on, what is now known as, Quaker Meeting House Road. Fire destroyed the first house, a second was built in 1810 and lost to fire as well. The third house built in 1888 burned during the Great Blizzard. In 1890 the meeting house was built and it stood on the north side of Quaker Meeting House Road until mid-1930s. At this time the Bethpage State Park was created and the State moved the structure to the south side across the road to its present site surrounded by the Quaker Cemetery. It is a simple gray and white structure." - Central Park Historical Society Encyclopedia
Submitted: May 5, 2019, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.
Database Locator Identification Number: p473784
File Size: 4.095 Megabytes

To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.