Photograph as originally submitted to this page
in the Historical Marker Database www.HMdb.org
. Click on photo to resize in browser. Scroll down to see metadata.
Photographer: Cosmos Mariner
Taken: May 1, 2019
Caption: This Lighthouse Was Moved
(interpretive panel inside lighthouse)
Additional Description: Wisely, the 1875 tower was designed to be moveable. Its shell is a series of stackable, interlocking cast iron segments, each weighing roughly 1200 pounds. This casing is then lined with bricks linked to the iron panels. The staircase and deck complete the structure.
The building's forward-thinking design meant that relocating the entire lighthouse compound could be accomplished for half what the original construction had cost fourteen years earlier.
Due to the threat of malaria, construction crews worked only during cooler months, finishing this tower on this location in 1889.
Submitted: June 18, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.
Database Locator Identification Number: p479833
File Size: 4.342 Megabytes
To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.