Photograph as originally submitted to this page
in the Historical Marker Database www.HMdb.org
. Click on photo to resize in browser. Scroll down to see metadata.
Photographer: J. J. Prats
Taken: July 13, 2019
Caption: Paint Creek Scenic Trail Map
Additional Description: Click on the image to zoom in. Highlights (shown in green) left to right:
- 1920—Striking miners terrorize Willis Branch with gunfire and destroy the mining complex with dynamite.
- 1919—7 miners are killed in an explosion of the Weirwood coal mine.
- 1989—Striking miners bombed the coal mine at Milbourn, WV
- 1990s—The last company store operating in West Virginia was the Imperial Collieries store in Burnwell.
- 1913—Approximate location of the striking miners’ tent colony that was fired on by mine guards wielding a machine gun mounted on the “Bull Moose” special train.
- 1913—Union organizer mary “Mother” Jones inprisoned in Pratt.
Submitted: August 11, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Database Locator Identification Number: p487523
File Size: 8.279 Megabytes
To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.