Photograph as originally submitted to this page
in the Historical Marker Database www.HMdb.org
. Click on photo to resize in browser. Scroll down to see metadata.
Photographer: Barry Swackhamer
Taken: August 28, 2020
Caption: The Blockhouses Marker
Additional Description: Captions: (top left) 1833-1834 - Prince Maximilian Wied von Neuwied's plan of Fort Clark shows blockhouses on the north and south corners of the palisade.; (middle left) 1847 - Blockhouses were on the fort's east and west corners (detail from Fort Clark and village of the Arikaras by Father Nicolas Point, S.J.; view to the south); (bottom left) 1860 - William Hays' sketch of the fort shows the fort had only one large blockhouse at the east corner (view to the southwest); (upper right) 2001 - Archaeologists excavated the west blockhouse; (lower right) Archaeological plan map (left) showing architecture-related features and reconstructed ground plan (right) for the 1850s era west blockhouse at Fort Clark.
Submitted: December 13, 2020, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.
Database Locator Identification Number: p556836
File Size: 3.295 Megabytes
To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.