Photograph as originally submitted to this page
in the Historical Marker Database www.HMdb.org
. Click on photo to resize in browser. Scroll down to see metadata.
Photographer: Beverly Pfingsten
Taken: August 12, 2007
Caption: Ice House Interpretive Marker
Additional Description: Ice House
circa 1800. A subterranean structure with central circular chamber, 33' 7" deep, boasting a brick dome with fieldstone side walls. The room is approached by an underground vaulted passageway on the south side, and insulated with several feet of earth. The structure was used to store ice cut in the winter from near-by ponds. Ice was used to preserve food, make ice cream, and cool drinks for the Ridgely family.
Submitted: August 13, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Database Locator Identification Number: p5858
File Size: 0.784 Megabytes
To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.