Photograph as originally submitted to this page
in the Historical Marker Database www.HMdb.org
. Click on photo to resize in browser. Scroll down to see metadata.
Photographer: Special Collections, South Carolina Library, USC Columbia
Caption: Furman University (1854)
Additional Description: Furman Campus was designed by Edward C. Jones of Charleston. The Italian-style bell tower was rung each time there was a southern victory during the Civil War. The campus was demolished in 1961 but the bell tower was recreated on Furman's current campus. It now chimes each time there is a Furman athletic victory.
Submitted: April 13, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Database Locator Identification Number: p59260
File Size: 1.443 Megabytes
To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.