Photograph as originally submitted to this page in the Historical Marker Database www.HMdb.org. Click on photo to resize in browser. Scroll down to see metadata.
Schools and Churches Marker  bottom images
Photographer: Photos courtesy of the Bentley Historical Library
Caption: Schools and Churches Marker bottom images
Additional Description: Bottom image: Looking south on State Street ca. 1916. The Presbyterian Sackett and McMillan Halls (right foreground, next to the 1867 Methodist Church) provided university students with Bible study, prayer meetings, missionary work, social activities, and residences for fifty years. The new First Methodist Church replaced all three buildings in 1940.
Top left inset: In this 1870 view west on Huron Street, steeples had yet to be added to the First Presbyterian Church at Division Street. In 1936 the church was demolished to make way for the Ann Arbor News building.
Bottom left inset: The 1876 First Congregational Church across from campus at State and William, seen here in 1921, attracted faculty and students.
Submitted: July 22, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Database Locator Identification Number: p598711
File Size: 4.538 Megabytes

To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.