Photograph as originally submitted to this page in the Historical Marker Database Click on photo to resize in browser. Scroll down to see metadata.
Marker at Main Entrance of Building
Photographer: Syd Whittle
Taken: April 25, 2009
Caption: Marker at Main Entrance of Building
Additional Description:
The Hayes Mansion
Mary Hayes Chynoweth, matriarch of the Hayes family, built this 65 room, 41,000 square foot Mediterranean Revival-Style mansion to replace an earlier Victorian one which had been destroyed by fire. While she did not live to occupy the mansion herself, her two sons and their families lived in the house for four decades.

Everis Anson Hayes and Jay Orley Hayes were two of San Jose’s most influential and illustrious citizens. E.A. Hayes served in the U.S. House of Representatives from 1904 to 1918. J.O. Hayes was founder and president of the California Prune and Apricot Growers Association, which later became known as Sunsweet Growers. Together the two brothers owned and published the San Jose Mercury and the San Jose Herald Newspapers.

The Edenvale Estate was a center of social and political activity for the Santa Clara Valley and was visited by many distinguished public figures.

The Hayes Mansion was designed by architect George Page and completed in 1905. Renovation and remodeling was completed in 1994 by the public/private partnership of the City of San Jose and the Renaissance Conference Company.
Submitted: May 1, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Database Locator Identification Number: p61461
File Size: 2.526 Megabytes

To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.