Photograph as originally submitted to this page
in the Historical Marker Database www.HMdb.org
. Click on photo to resize in browser. Scroll down to see metadata.
Photographer: Mike Stroud
Taken: May 10, 2009
Caption: The Town Wall, an additional marker
Additional Description: The tree- covered embankment in front of you
is a remnant of a mile-long earthen wall that
once enclosed the town. Construction of the
wall began about 1739 and probably continued
for several years.
The earthworks consisted of a sodden rampart
6 feet high, with a firing step on the inside and
a moat on the outside. The moat was bounded
by two rows of eight-foot posts called palisades.
These defenses would have been difficult for
enemy soldiers to cross, and none ever tried.
Today the palisades are gone and the earthworks
have been eroded, but remnants of the wall
and moat are visible.
The fortications surrounding the town resembled
those at the fort. The earth removed in digging the
moat was used to build the rampart.
" The town is surrounded by a rampart with
flankers, of the same thickness with that round the fort...."
London Magazine 1745
Submitted: May 11, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Database Locator Identification Number: p62716
File Size: 0.717 Megabytes
To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.