Photograph as originally submitted to this page
in the Historical Marker Database www.HMdb.org
. Click on photo to resize in browser.
Scroll down to see metadata.
Photographer: Craig Swain
Taken: July 25, 2008
Caption: Spang, Chalfant & Company #8
Additional Description: The cutaway engine's interpretive marker (indoor):
The Baldwin Locomotive Works of Eddystone, Pennsylvania, delivered this 0-6-0 switcher to Spang, Chalfant & Company of Etna, Pennsylvania, in April 1923. For thirty years Spang used the engine to switch incoming loads of iron ore to the company's blast furnaces and haul carloads of finished tubing, pipe, and steel plate to connections with the Baltimore and Ohio and Pennsylvania Railroads.
During the mid-1950s, the Duquesne Slag Company purchased the switcher. This engine then hauled slag for concrete, ballast, road building, roofing and other industrial products. For 41 years the locomotive operated in the Pittsburgh area.
In 1964 it was sold to a tourist excursion line. Two years later, the engine was determined to be worn out and was retired from service. During 1995 and 1996, the Spang, Chalfant locomotive as "sectioned" to visually display locomotive construction methods.
Submitted: June 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Database Locator Identification Number: p66933
File Size: 0.847 Megabytes
To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.