Photograph as originally submitted to this page
in the Historical Marker Database www.HMdb.org
. Click on photo to resize in browser. Scroll down to see metadata.
Photographer: Craig Swain
Taken: September 29, 2007
Caption: The Stickley House
Additional Description: The red house and barn still stand today beside the highway on private property. The hill behind the house figured importantly in the initial Confederate advance for the battle of Cedar Creek, October 19, 1864. Confederate artillery posted there bombarded the Federal positions on the high ground to the north and east. Wharton's Confederate division staged here before crossing Cedar Creek, and advanced through Middletown.
Submitted: September 30, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Database Locator Identification Number: p7743
File Size: 1.201 Megabytes
To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.