Photograph as originally submitted to this page
in the Historical Marker Database www.HMdb.org
. Click on photo to resize in browser. Scroll down to see metadata.
Photographer: Robert H. Moore, II
Taken: October 18, 2009
Caption: Lockhouse for Locks #45 and #46
Additional Description: The lockhouse at Dam 5 was built ca. 1839 and served both Locks #45 and #46. It is 1 ½ stories high, with a fully exposed stone basement, brick above and a brick chimney at each gable end. The front door faces toward the canal and Potomac River. It is the only standing Civil War building remaining on the grounds surrounding the Dam 5 site.
Submitted: October 23, 2009, by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia.
Database Locator Identification Number: p81711
File Size: 1.334 Megabytes
To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.