Photograph as originally submitted to this page
in the Historical Marker Database www.HMdb.org
. Click on photo to resize in browser. Scroll down to see metadata.
Photographer: Unknown, Provided Courtesy of Historical American Building Survey
Caption: Utica Mine - General View, from Historic American Buildings Survey
Additional Description: According to the Historic American Building Survey notes for the Utica Mine, "Utica Mine consolidation of six other claims reached total production in gold of $17,000,000, when it closed down in 1915. Most famous mine between Carson Hill and Jackson. James G. Fair owned Utica Mine in the 1860's, when it was called "Invincible". Fair sold to James T. Boyd and Judge Delos Lake in 1865. Lake renamed it "Utica" after his hometown in New York. The "Utica" did not produce well and was closed down for 20 years. Reopened in 1890's, its greatest period of production was from 1893-1895, when it was owned by Hobart Estate and operated by Charley Lane as Superintendent."
Submitted: December 19, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.
Database Locator Identification Number: p90174
File Size: 0.142 Megabytes
To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.