Photograph as originally submitted to this page
in the Historical Marker Database www.HMdb.org
. Click on photo to resize in browser. Scroll down to see metadata.
Photographer: Bill Kirchner
Taken: January 30, 2010
Caption: Jefferson Hunt
Additional Description: [This plaque is on the northeast side of the sculpture.]
1803 - 1879
Captain, Company “A” of the Mormon Battalion. While in Tucson, Hunt was in charge of negotiating the exchange of goods with the local citizenry. Days later on the trail, Hunt made friendly contacts with Pima Indians along the Gila River. This contact very likely aided the Mormons in their colonization of the Salt River Valley, where Phoenix is now located. Called by Brigham Young in 1851 to colonize San Bernardino, Hunt remained in California until 1857, when he finally returned to Utah.
Submitted: January 31, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.
Database Locator Identification Number: p94732
File Size: 2.833 Megabytes
To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.