Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Agriculture Historical Markers

3659 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 3459
 
Buena Vista Plantation Home image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, December 17, 2013
Buena Vista Plantation Home
Alabama (Autauga County), Prattville — Buena VistaMontgomery-Janes-Wittaker Home — (circa 1830) —
This antebellum plantation house was completed by Capt. William Montgomery, a contemporary of Prattville's founder, Daniel Pratt. This “Deep South” architecture reflects the Federal style with the later addition of a Colonial . . . — Map (db m70795) HM
Alabama (Autauga County), Prattville — Old Plank RoadCirca 1840's
The plank road was constructed of large pine logs, sawed lengthwise and laid round-side down. Daniel Pratt built the road for public benefit and to provide transportation from the Pratt Cotton Gin Factory to Washington on the Alabama River. Over . . . — Map (db m27983) HM
Alabama (Autauga County), Prattville — Pratt HomesiteCirca 1842
Daniel Pratt, Prattville’s founding father, constructed an imposing home and garden within a quarter-mile of this site on Autauga Creek, near his industrial complex. The large home was designed and erected by Pratt himself, a noted architect / . . . — Map (db m27985) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Perdido — Perdido Vineyards
"Alabama's First Farm Winery Since Prohibition" A 50 acre Muscadine Grape Vineyard was established at this site in 1972 to produce grapes for Bartels Winery of Pensacola, Florida. In 1979, legislation sponsored by Rep. John M. McMillan . . . — Map (db m122470) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Stockton — Major Robert Farmar Plantation
Here on the banks of the Tensaw River -- named for the Tensa Indian tribe whose principal village was located at this place -- Major Robert Farmar developed a plantation c. 1772. Farmar was one of the most prominent and controversial Alabamians of . . . — Map (db m66380) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Summerdale — Sonora Community / Sonora School and Community Hall
Sonora Community The community of Sonora was named in 1901 by the wife of the first postmaster, G.L. Sharretts. Situated near Red Hill Ford on Baker Branch and the intersection of travel routes between Silverhill, Magnolia Springs, Marlow . . . — Map (db m130878) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — Cotton and Creek Country — Creek Heritage Trail —
A primary factor in the eventual expulsion of the Creeks from their ancestral homeland was the fact that their territory was some of the best suited in the nation for the production of cotton. Containing enormous tracts of productive soils, a long . . . — Map (db m101658) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — Hart House
Built by John Hart about 1850, the Hart House is recognized as an outstanding example of pure Greek Revival architecture. Hart (c. 1805-1863) moved from New Hampshire and became a prominent merchant and farmer. When constructed, the house was on the . . . — Map (db m48376) HM
Alabama (Bibb County), Brierfield — Hayes-Morton House
Wilson Hayes constructed this typical farm house for his wife and six children just south of Six Mile around 1900. After he moved to Oklahoma c. 1915, his daughter Ollie and her husband Levert Rotenberry lived in the home until 1928. Between 1928 . . . — Map (db m37136) HM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Jacksonville — Thomas A. Walker1811-1888
Prominent citizen of Jacksonville who served Alabama as Brigadier General, State Militia; member Legislature and Pres. of Senate; Circuit Court Judge; and Pres. Ala. and Tenn. Railroad He owned extensive cotton plantations and mining interests . . . — Map (db m29921) HM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Oxford — Mississippi AgricultureAD 1000 to AD 1625 — Choccolocco Park Interpretive Trail —
The Mississippian inhabitants of Choccolocco were skilled agriculturalists who grew corn, squash and beans in addition to the many wild plants that they harvested. Archaeologists working here have found the remains of many of these plants in the . . . — Map (db m144950) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Claiborne — 93001517 — Dellet-Bedsole PlantationC. 1850 — National Register of Historic Places —
This 4000 acre complex has been recognized for its contribution to our understanding of the history of Monroe County and the State of Alabama. Originally developed as a cotton plantation during the Antebellum period, this farm has been in continuous . . . — Map (db m80345) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Jackson — First District Agricultural College and Experiment Station1896—1936
On this site was located the First District Agricultural College, authorized by an act of the Alabama Legislature and opened in 1896. The street in front was changed from Grove Hill Road to College Avenue in honor of the new school. An Experimental . . . — Map (db m101603) HM
Alabama (Clay County), Ashland — Ashland, Alabama
Side 1 Clay County was formed by an act of the Alabama General Assembly on December 7, 1866. Less than a year later, Ashland was established as the county seat on land donated by Hollingsworth Watts for the construction of a . . . — Map (db m95087) HM
Alabama (Coffee County), Enterprise — Boll Weevil MonumentDecember 11, 1919
In profound appreciation of the Boll Weevil and what it has done as the Herald of Prosperity this monument was erected by the Citizens of Enterprise, Coffee County, Alabama — Map (db m30306) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Cherokee — A Chickasaw PlanterNatchez Trace Parkway
During the early 1800s, a slave-owning planter class including George Colbert’s family, emerged among the Chickasaw. George’s success stemmed from a variety of endeavors. He fought with the Americans against the Shawnee and Creeks, traveled to . . . — Map (db m107261) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — Belle Mont
Built between 1828 and 1832, Belle Mont is a foremost example of Jeffersonian Palladian Architecture in the deep south and one of Alabama's first great plantation houses. It was build for Dr. Alexander W. Mitchell, a native of Virginia, and a . . . — Map (db m29561) HM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — King Pharr Canning Company Operated Here1946~1976
In 1946, the McPhillips family brought King Pharr Canning Company, a major vegetable canning operation to Cullman. Led by chairman Julian B. McPhillips of Mobile, and his two sons Julian L. McPhillips and W. Warren McPhillips (returning from Navy . . . — Map (db m101093) HM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — Land-Use and Water Quality
Land-based activities affect water quality and quantity. For that reason, it is important that we make good decisions about our day to day actions.

Dry stacks prevent poultry manure from entering streams. Silt fences prevent erosion from . . . — Map (db m107957) HM

Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — Sand Mountain Plateau
Thrifty German colonists, led by Col. John G. Cullman, in 1873 settled this thinly populated plateau. This section, previously thought unproductive, became famous for its diversified crops.Map (db m29976) HM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — What’s the Big Deal about Litter?!
Litter or trash thrown on our roadside or illegally dumped often ends up in a steam or creek. This threatens the critters that live there and it can threaten humans too!

Thankfully, litter is an easy problem to fix - If everyone does their . . . — Map (db m106102)

Alabama (Dallas County), Cahaba — Alabama's Native Prairie
Waist-high grasses billowing in the wind. Rolling prairie expanses. Most people connect these images with the Midwest's Great Plains. But for thousands of years, tallgrass soils of Alabama's Black Belt. Along prairie—25 miles across . . . — Map (db m112692) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Cahaba — Black Belt Transformations
Alabama's Black Belt region derives its name from a narrow sash of dark, fertile soil across the state's midsection. Covering 1000 square miles, the Black Belt occupies just 2% of the state's landmass, but its history and transformations . . . — Map (db m112800) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Cahaba — Perine Well
This artesian well was drilled to serve a factory which did not materialize. It was then used to water the grounds, a garden and pastures. In addition, by forcing water through pipes into his $50,000 home, E. M. Perine, a merchant prince, had the . . . — Map (db m83518) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Cahaba — The Duke of Cahaba
In 1889, Samuel and Sarah Kirkpatrick moved to Selma, leaving their farm and house in the capable hands of their son Clifton (1863-1930). He turned the abandoned remains of Alabama's first capital into a showcase farm of diversified, scientific . . . — Map (db m23005) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Cahaba — The Duke of Cahaba
Look around you. There are hundreds of pecan trees growing nearby. All were planted by Clifton Kirkpatrick, a.k.a. The Duke of Cahaba." (Note: Cahawba lost its "w" by the late 19th century.) In 1889 Samuel and Sarah Kirkpatrick . . . — Map (db m112473) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Headland — Head's Land Yielded Fruits of Success
Begun on 160 acres of land owned by Dr. Joshua Head, "Head's Land," or Headland, was established in 1871, incorporated as a town in 1884 and a city in 1893. The land itself yielded the city's first industry. Due to the abundance of pine trees, . . . — Map (db m71816) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — East Birmingham
Marker Front: Founded in 1886 on 600 acres of land, East Birmingham was the agricultural area consisting primarily of dairy farms extending to the present Birmingham airport. The East Birmingham Land Company that developed the area was . . . — Map (db m83827) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Hoover — Overseer’s HouseBuilt in 1889
This house was provided for the overseer of the 560-acre A. B. Howell Peach Orchard. William Morgan and William and Evan Hale were overseers. The house was purchased by John and Marie Taylor in 1989 and was placed on the Alabama Register of . . . — Map (db m28494) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Leeds — Rowan House
Thomas Rowan, son of Irish immigrants who settled in St. Clair County, Alabama, purchased his first 130 acres at auction and built a house here by c. 1854 that probably forms the core of the two northeast rooms. Heir John Thomas Rowan and his wife, . . . — Map (db m24716) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Mountain Brook — Robert Jemison, Jr. (1878-1974) / The Old Mill (1927)
Robert Jemison, Jr. (1878-1974) The Father of Mountain Brook A man of great vision, dreams and enthusiasm, Robert Jemison, Jr. was by far the greatest real estate developer of Birmingham’s 20th century. The Post-Herald newspaper . . . — Map (db m83922) HM
Alabama (Lamar County), Sulligent — John Hollis BankheadAncestral Home — 1842 — 1920 —
Farmer Confederate Soldier Legislator Member U.S. House and Senate Thirty Three Years Father of Federal Aid to Good Roads Author making Warrior longest canalized river in the world Active in development of Muscle Shoals and other . . . — Map (db m96473) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Deibert Park-dedicated May 25, 2000-
This park was donated to the people of Florence by Dr. Kirk R. and Lillian Cook Deibert who initially acquired this property in 1952. The acreage was once a part of a large ante-bellum plantation owned by Judge Sidney Cherry Posey. In 1875 his heirs . . . — Map (db m33086) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Dr. Amit RoyCity of Florence Walk of Honor
Named President of the International Fertilizer Development Center in 1992, Dr. Amit Roy distinguished himself as a leader of a team to create sustainable agricultural productivity worldwide, alleviating hunger and ensuring food security. . . . — Map (db m99379) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Edward Asbury O'Neal, IIICity of Florence Walk of Honor
Serving 16 years as president of the American Farm Bureau Federation (1931-1947), Mr. O'Neal developed major New Deal farm policies in the Franklin D. Roosevelt Administration. — Map (db m28906) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Florence, Alabama
The Forks of Cypress plantation was established in 1818 by James and Sarah Jackson. Its home, believed the design of William Nichols, was one of Alabama's great houses, featuring perhaps the earliest peristyle colonnades in America. Built by skilled . . . — Map (db m83975) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Frank Perron AchornCity of Florence Walk of Honor
In 1947 Frank Achorn began his successful work as a chemical engineer in 45 states and 40 countries to feed the hungry of the world through increased crop yields. He later secured eight patents related to the fertilizer industry. — Map (db m56373) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — John Thomas Bulls, JrCity of Florence Walk of Honor
For 21 years following the end of World War II, John Bulls served as Agricultural Extension Advisor for the U.S. State Dept. in India, Nigeria, Tunisia and Uganda, assisting farmers and organizing community development programs. — Map (db m84025) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — McFarland Park and Recreation Area
This bottom land serves as a reservoir for TVA's flood control program. Florence leases it for recreational purposes when not being used by TVA. Major Robert McFarland, a native of Ireland, his wife, Kate Armstead McFarland, and their seven . . . — Map (db m28453) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Wilson Family Cemetery 19th Century / Slave Cemetery 19th Century
Side A In 1818 three Wilson brothers John, Matthew and Samuel, came from Virginia to purchase large farms in this area. The plantations of John and Matthew joined near this cemetery. All three brothers and their families are buried here. . . . — Map (db m28160) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Lexington — French-Glover Farm 1837
Revolutionary War Veteran Benjamin French (1764-1847), a native of Virginia, is buried at this site. Arriving in Limestone County, Alabama, about 1808 French acquired this farm in 1837. The nearby spring is the site of prehistoric Indian Village . . . — Map (db m141982) HM
Alabama (Lawrence County), Courtland — A Cotton Kingdom
Side A A combination of rich soil, mild climate and ready access to market via river and later railroad made Courtland an early center of cotton production. From surrounding plantations with colorful names like Bonnie Doone, Oak Grove, . . . — Map (db m71285) HM
Alabama (Lawrence County), Courtland — The Town of Courtland / Early Settlers1819
Side A Federal lands in this area were first sold in 1818 and quickly purchased by settlers and speculators. A group of investors calling themselves the “Courtland Land Company” and consisting of William H. Whitaker, James M. . . . — Map (db m28989) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Noble Hall
Marker Front: The Greek Revival rock and mortar house was built by Addison Frazer (1809-1873) between 1852 and 1854 and served as the center for a 2,000 acre cotton plantation. Frazer owned 100 slaves and was on the Board of Trustees of . . . — Map (db m25988) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — The Cullars Rotation / The Alvis Field and Cotton Rust
Side 1 The Cullars Rotation The Cullars Rotation is the oldest, continuous soil fertility study in the South and the second oldest cotton study in the world. It was started in 1911 by the Alabama Agricultural Experiment Station . . . — Map (db m74463) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — The Old Rotation
Established in 1896 by Professor J.F. Duggar, the Old Rotation at Auburn University is: (1) the oldest, continuous cotton experiment in the U.S.; and (2) the 3rd oldest continuous field crop experiment in the U.S.; and (3) the 1st experiment to . . . — Map (db m74429) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — Top Rock Millstone
This "Top Rock" Millstone was in a grist mill owned and operated by W.S.A. Bence on Sweetwater Creek in Clay County, AL 1919-1947 Donated by H.S. Bence — Map (db m75160) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Mooresville — Cottonport / Mooresville
Front The town of Cottonport flourished in the early years of Limestone County. It was settled in 1818 and chartered in 1824. It was located approx. 1½ miles S.E. near the point where Limestone Creek flowed into the Tennessee River and . . . — Map (db m85455) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Tanner — Cotton Hillcirca 1824
A grand two story brick house built in the Federal style with a double tier pedimented Palladian portico. The house displays architectural features brought to Limestone County by early settlers from Southside Virginia, and adjacent North Carolina. . . . — Map (db m90915) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Tanner — Gamble House
One of the oldest brick houses in the country. It was built, circa 1822-28, by Wm. Parham for Joseph Johnston, the original landowner. It displays both Georgian and Federal influences in its style and details. A molded brick water table and . . . — Map (db m117805) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Shorter — Prairie Farms Resettlement Community
(obverse) Beginning in the mid-1930s during the Great Depression, the federal New Deal promoted Land Resettlement to move farmers across the nation off worn out soil to new farmland. The Resettlement Administration, and its successor the . . . — Map (db m68000) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Carver's Laboratory — Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site —
The primary idea in all of my work was to help the farmer and fill the poor man's empty dinner pail . . . —George Washington Carver George Washington Carver taught classes and developed new products from peanuts, . . . — Map (db m101938) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — George Washington CarverDied in Tuskegee Alabama — January 5, 1943 —
A life that stood out as a gospel of self-forgetting service. He could have added fortune to fame but caring for neither he found happiness and honor in being helpful to the world. The centre of his world was the South where he was born in . . . — Map (db m100165) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Thomas Monroe Campbell
. . . — Map (db m102540) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Tuskegee Chapel — Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site —
. . . I always make it a rule to read a chapter [in the Bible] or a portion of a chapter in the morning, before beginning the work of the day. —Booker T. Washington, Up From Slavery The chapel, designed by Paul . . . — Map (db m100162) HM
Alabama (Madison County), New Market — Town of New Market
Settled by Pioneers early as 1806. Voting Precinct established 1827. Town incorporated 1837. George Smith, major landowner of town site, built first log house and established mercantile business, 1814. John Miller excavated millrace, erected . . . — Map (db m31657) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Triana — Triana, Alabama
Originally called “The Prairie” by the Chickasaw Indians who settled here, Triana was incorporated November 13, 1819 as the second town in Madison County. The community purportedly was named after Rodrigo de Triana, the crewman who first . . . — Map (db m70237) HM
Alabama (Marengo County), Demopolis — Gaineswood
Built 1842-1860 by Gen. Nathan Bryan Whitfield 1799-1868 accomplished planter of the Canebrake using imported materials and artisans Glorifying the Greek Revival Architecture by combining Doric exterior Corinthian grand ballroom Ionic parlor . . . — Map (db m38068) HM
Alabama (Marshall County), Arab — Farmer's Exchange
The Farmer’s Exchange was a focal point of commerce during the early years of the young town of Arab. Farmers exchanged their corn, eggs, butter, hides and other agricultural products for a barrel of flour, a stand of lard or other . . . — Map (db m40627) HM
Alabama (Marshall County), Boaz — City of Boaz
Side A Informally called Sparkstown for a period of time, the city of Boaz was officially named after the husband of Ruth, a Biblical character in the Old Testament. Incorporated in March 1897, Boaz quickly began to "set a pace for her . . . — Map (db m39156) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Richards D.A.R. House Museum — 1860 —
One of the premier antebellum structures in the city, the house was built by Charles Richards, a riverboat captain originally from Maine. The building is considered to have Mobile's finest cast iron, featuring figures in a garden setting and . . . — Map (db m86511) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Teague Road
This 2.8-mile road connecting U.S. highways 331 and 31 first appeared on Montgomery County road maps in 1928. Land for the road was deeded to Montgomery County in September 1926 by local landowners from the Teague, Bellingrath and Matthews families. . . . — Map (db m70932) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Teague Road
This 2.8-mile road connecting U.S. highways 331 and 31 first appeared on Montgomery County road maps in 1928. Land for the road was deeded to Montgomery County in September 1926 by local landowners from the Teague, Bellingrath and Matthews families. . . . — Map (db m99235) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Pintlala — Pintlala Grange Hall / Grange Hall School
(Side 1) Pintlala Grange Hall The National Grange of the Patrons of Husbandry was organized in 1867 to provide economic, social and cultural improvements for farmers and their families. Pintlala's Grange Hall was erected circa . . . — Map (db m71433) HM
Alabama (Morgan County), Decatur — Health and Civic WelfareRestoring the Vision ... Preserving the Legacy
"The opportunies which were at hand in the development of the river and the region were being seized upon by our people with renewed courage and confidence. We now know that we couldn't be licked again, that what had been preached to us by TVA was . . . — Map (db m86505) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Brundidge — City of Brundidge and the Bass House / Brundidge's Peanut Butter Heritage
Side 1 City of Brundidge and the Bass House Brundidge was founded in 1851 and incorporated in 1890. Brundidge City Hall has been located in the former Bass House on South Main Street in downtown Brundidge since November 1992. . . . — Map (db m71796) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Orion — Orion Institute
Founded 1848 by legislative act and donations of citizens. Excellent instruction made it only school of kind for youth in area. Later used as public school until 1929 school consolidation. Orion settled about 1815, by 1830 saw arrival of . . . — Map (db m71791) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Hurtsboro — Long FamilyNimrod Long House
Nimrod Washington Long moved to Alabama from Georgia in the 1830s. A planter, mill owner and state legislator, he had real estate and railroad interests in Russell County. This house was the plantation home of Nimrod Washington Long in Spring Hill, . . . — Map (db m69433) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Phenix City — Coweta and Northeastern Russell County:Focal Point for Creek-American Diplomacy — Creek Heritage Trail —
During the tumultuous decades prior to the Removal of the Creeks from their ancestral homelands in the 1830s, the vicinity of the town of Coweta became an important location for interaction between the Creek Nation and the American government. . . . — Map (db m101339) HM
Alabama (Tallapoosa County), Dadeville — Fletcher Napoleon Farrington, Sr.1902 - 1968 — County Agent and Civic Leader —
Fletcher Farrington, after graduating from the Alabama Polytechnic Institute (now Auburn University), came to Tallapoosa County as a county agent for the Agricultural Extension Service in 1932. Concluding that soil erosion was the local farmers . . . — Map (db m95105) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Benjamin FitzpatrickGovernor 1841 - 1845
He oversaw the closing of the unstable State Bank. In 1845 the legislature amended the constitution to allow the removal of the capital from Tuscaloosa. The growing wealth and population of the Black Belt brought the seat of government to Montgomery. — Map (db m29033) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Eagar — 14 — Joseph Udall Barn
Built in the early 1900s by one of Eagar's prominent civic, religious & business leaders, this barn was constructed with wooden pegs & retains remarkable architectural integrity. The 2-story brick farmhouse no longer stands. — Map (db m36640) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 5 — Old Grist Mill Site1876
Just west on the river, W.R Milligan built the first grist mill & sawmill in Round Valley, later a brick kiln was added. Subsequent owners included the Udall Bros. & J.P. Rothlisberger who built the barn just ahead. — Map (db m36597) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — Beale Wagon Road1857 - 1882
From 1857-60, Lt. Edward F. Beale and a crew of 100 men completed the first federal highway in the southwest from Fort Smith, Ark. to Los Angeles, Calif. at a cost of $200,000. The wagon road was used extensively by immigrants en route to California . . . — Map (db m33346) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — The Old Tractor
This 1945 Model H International Farmall, purchased by the Zanzucchi Family after World War II, was used to plow the "Fields" at the Flagstaff Dairy. The Flagstaff Dairy operated from 1904 thru 1979 and was located 3 miles west of Flagstaff on Old . . . — Map (db m78740) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon National Park — Mules and the Canyon
Behind you is the Bright Angel mule corral, where each morning mules greet riders and another adventure begins. Mules have carried people into Grand Canyon since sightseeers first visited here in the 1890s. For many people - including those who . . . — Map (db m39551) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Jacob Lake — Jacob Lake Lookout Tower
This location has two markers This steel lookout tower is 80 feet tall and has a 7 foot by 7 foot steel cab on top. It was erected in 1934. As guardians of our nation's vast timber reserves, the U.S. Forest Service has always given fire . . . — Map (db m94919) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Mormon Lake — Mormon Dairy
Between 1876 and 1886, Hyrum Judd, under the direction of Lot Smith, supervised a Mormon Dairy one mile northeast near Dairy Spring. Beginning with a herd of 115 cows, large quantities of butter and cheese were produced. During the 1880s the . . . — Map (db m35187) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Sedona — 2 — Fruit Packing HouseCity of Sedona Landmark No. 2
In 1946, Walter Jordan's orchard business had expanded. This building was constructed to house an apple grading machine and other fruit packing operations. Walter Jordan operated the orchards until 1973. — Map (db m94848) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Sedona — Indian GardensHomesite of the First Settler in Oak Creek Canyon
In 1876 or 1877, Jim Thompson built a log cabin here and began cultivating the old Indian Gardens where the Indians had grown corn and squash long before Oak Creek was known to white men. Thompson remained here at his Indian Gardens Ranch until his . . . — Map (db m33203) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Sedona — 3 — Jordan Tractor ShedCity of Sedona Landmark No. 3
Built in c1929 by Walter Jordan to house tractors and other farm implements for use in the Jordan Orchards. — Map (db m94847) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Sedona — Orchards (1890 - 1970)
Fruit growing played a significant role in the early Sedona economy. Over time, settlers constructed ditches, flumes, pipelines, reservoirs, and water wheels to provide irrigation to their gardens and eventually to their larger orchards. Apples . . . — Map (db m54228) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Sedona — Van Deren Ranch
Lee Van Deren, cattleman, arrived to put his children in the new Sedona school opened in 1910. Ranching was a major part of Sedona’s early economy. Round ups and cattle drives were a twice a year occurrence for ranchers when moving their herds from . . . — Map (db m54229) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Walnut Canyon National Monument — Departure
Despite all it had to offer, in time Walnut Canyon became a difficult place for farmers to live. Drier, colder conditions meant crop failures. More people and diminished resources meant nutritional stress, disease, and conflict. However, . . . — Map (db m61370) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Wupatki National Monument — Where Were The Fields?
Farming then did not mean vast fields like we use today. Anasazi and Sinagua people modified these small terraces to grow hand-tended corn, cotton, beans, and squash. We know the climate was about what it is now, very dry for farming. The terraces . . . — Map (db m41715) HM
Arizona (Gila County), Globe — Site of Sheriff Thompson's HomeHistoric Site
John Henry Thompson, a noted Gila County pioneer, brought his bride, Carrie Louise Nash, to Globe to live in the house he had built on this site, one of the town's early adobe buildings. Thompson was active in mining, cattle ranching and the feed . . . — Map (db m34119) HM
Arizona (La Paz County), Cibola — 104 — Cibola Arizona
Gold and silver strikes in the 1860's created growth in the area. It is said Wyatt Earp served as sheriff of Cibola for one year in the 1890's. The town of Cibola formed in 1898 and construction began on a 16 mile canal to bring water from the river . . . — Map (db m78552) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Chandler — Arizona Cotton Land
The land surrounding this cemetery represents the beginning of commercial cotton growing in Arizona. In January 1917, during World War I, the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company founded the Southwest Cotton Company to begin producing long-staple . . . — Map (db m34554) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Chandler — Arthur E. Price1889 – 1971 — “Patriarch of Chandler” —
Chandler’s First City Attorney Filed Incorporation Papers Drafted the City Constitution and By-Laws Farmer – Land Developer — Map (db m70997) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Chandler — Dr. A. J. Chandler1859 – 1950
He knew no yesterdays His living was for tomorrow Founder of the town of Chandler Built the San Marcos Hotel Arizona’s first veterinarian Father of modern irrigation system Pioneer rancher and developer of the southside area of . . . — Map (db m70990) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Blacksmith and Machine Shop — at Sahuaro Ranch . . . —
Farm and ranch work have always been hard on machinery, making frequent repairs necessary. Throughout Sahuaro Ranch's history, most of these repairs were made here by the ranch's own employees. This building, which is believed to have been . . . — Map (db m40676) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Corrals and Tack House — at Sahuaro Ranch . . . —
The corrals here are the remnants of the sprawling complex of corrals and pastures needed to raise the livestock that was always important to the operations of Sahuaro Ranch. In early years, horses and mules were the primary source of power for . . . — Map (db m40686) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Fruit Packing Shed — at Sahuaro Ranch... —
This packing shed, constructed in 1891, is one of the oldest farm buildings on the ranch. It was designed by James M. Creighton, a prominent architect in territoral Arizona. Exactly how the shed was used is not known, but presumably it was here . . . — Map (db m40702) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Irrigation — at Sahuaro Ranch... —
The water for Sahuaro Ranch came by gravity flow from the Arizona Canal, located about two miles to the north. It was carried from the canal by a ditch on 59th Avenue known as Lateral 18 and then flowed onto the ranch through smaller ditches such . . . — Map (db m40706) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Manistee Ranch
National Register of Historic Places Listed April 9, 1998 United Stated Department of the Interior Manistee Ranch a treasured Glendale landmark and was the long-time home of Louis M. Sands, a pioneer of modern Arizona cattle . . . — Map (db m30500) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Orchards — at Sahuaro Ranch —
The most important crops in the early years of Sahuaro Ranch were fruits and nuts. These commanded high prices, which meant they could profitably be raised here and sold to buyers across the country despite the high cost of shipping from such a . . . — Map (db m40705) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Sahuaro Ranch
National Register of Historic Places Listed March 7, 1980 United States Department of the Interior Sahuaro Ranch was one of the first farms in the Glendale area and a reminder of Glendale’s agricultural beginnings. Started by wealthy . . . — Map (db m28088) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Stable / Granary — at Sahuaro Ranch . . . —
Little is known about the history of this building, which started out as a horse stable, but it almost certainly was one of the earliest work buildings to be erected at Sahuaro Ranch. The eastern half, with the vertical wood siding, was built . . . — Map (db m40685) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — The Barnyard — at Sahuaro Ranch . . . —
The barnyard was the center of activity as Sahuaro Ranch. Horses and mules were stabled, trained, and shoed here. Cattle were brought to the corrals for branding, treatment and shipment. Farm implements and wagons were stored and repaired here. . . . — Map (db m40674) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Water & Power — at Sahuaro Ranch . . . —
When Sahuaro Ranch was built, and for some years afterward, water and electricity had to be provided by the owners themselves, often at great expense. Drinking water was obtained from a groundwater well located in the back yard of the Main . . . — Map (db m40638) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Welcome to Sahuaro Ranch — at Sahuaro Ranch . . . —
Sahuaro Ranch was established in 1886, when William H. Bartlett filed a claim to 640 acres of public land at this site. Using irrigation water delivered by the Arizona Canal, which reached the Glendale area in early 1885, Barlett and his ranch . . . — Map (db m40656) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Well HouseSRP Well House Re-creation — at Sahuaro Ranch . . . —
This building, which houses a groundwater well pump, is a re-creation of a Salt River Project (SRP) pump house from the 1920s. In the original pump houses, a wooden derrick was erected first and used to drill the well. Once the well was working, an . . . — Map (db m40660) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — 344 — Arizona's Pioneer Women
Before 1875 hundreds of heroic women came to Arizona from the East and South. From this group came Arizona's first schoolteachers and the publisher of the first newspaper. In 1876 a group of pioneer women and their families came from the north, . . . — Map (db m27385) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — F.Q. Story Addition
Land that was to become the Story Neighborhood (bounded by McDowell Road, Roosevelt Street, 7th Avenue, and Grand Avenue) was purchased in 1887 and 1906 by Francis Q. Story, a horticulturist known as the "father of the Sunkist Orange." Serious . . . — Map (db m39413) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Jacob Waltz
Jacob Waltz was born in the kingdom of Wurttemberg Germany circa 1810. He immigrated to the USA in 1839 and became a naturalized citizen in 1864. Waltz was prospecting in Arizona and is reputed to have found a gold deposit near the superstition . . . — Map (db m74397) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — S. (Frenchy) Sawyer
At this site in the Spring of 1868 S. (Frenchy) Sawyer Built the first farm dwelling and harvested the first cultivated crop (barley) in the Anglo-American occupation of the Salt River Valley. These same fertile acres had been irrigated . . . — Map (db m30402) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Scottsdale — Peoria Train Depot
The Peoria train depot was constructed in 1895 at a cost of $1,455 by the Santa Fe, Prescott and Phoenix Railway Company. The wood-frame structure served the agricultural and ranching interests in Peoria and areas west of Phoenix until 1972. The . . . — Map (db m126698) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Wickenburg — Everett BowmanAll-Around Champion Cowboy of the World — Years 1935 & 1937 —
b. July 12, 1899 Hope, NM d. October 25, 1971 Wickenburg, AZ Known as the cowboy's cowboy Admired and revered by townsfolk Father and organizer of Turtle Association 1936 which became the Professional Rodeo Cowboy Association 1937 Owned . . . — Map (db m29473) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Wickenburg — Vulture Mine
Discovered in 1863 by Henry Wickenburg and his Burro To supply the needs of the mines and protecting military camps, the Salt River Valley irrigated agricultural industry was developed. The Vulture Mine produced 10 millions in gold and was the . . . — Map (db m29477) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Bicentennial Moon Tree
This seedling was grown from the very seeds that journeyed to the moon and back on board Apollo 14. It symbolizes the major role forests played in developing our American Heritage and the vital role forests have in our future. This planting made . . . — Map (db m83012) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — George E. P. Smith ResidenceResidencia del Profesor George E. P. Smith
Dr. Smith built this house in 1904 in anticipation of his marriage to Maud North, a Tucson teacher. The house, which he designed, was the first building on the north side of Speedway. Dr. Smith was a University of Arizona professor of engineering . . . — Map (db m83035) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — The Tucson Plant Materials Center
The Tucson Plant Materials Center Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of Agriculture 1997 — Map (db m31525) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Who Lived Here?Historical Gardens
Like many Tucsonans in the 1920s, Bernice Walkley and Rutger Porter were transplanted easterners – she from Connecticut and he from New York. Rutger met Bernice while doing landscape work for her father in Tucson.

In 1929 Rutger bought the . . . — Map (db m84199) HM

Arizona (Pima County), Vail — Hired Man’s House – Who Lived Here?/Historic Preservation of the Hired Man’s House
Hired Man’s House – Who Lived Here? This two room house was in existence by 1920. Most likely, the Vails built it for use by families working on the Empire Ranch. Dusty Vail Ingram, who grew up on the Empire, recalled that the Estrada . . . — Map (db m84201) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Vail — Historic Empire Ranch
Behind you are many of the original buildings of the historic Empire Ranch, established in the 1870s by Edward Nye Fish on 160 acres with a four-room adobe ranch house and corral. In 1876, Walter L. Vail and Herbert R. Hislop purchased the . . . — Map (db m84196) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Elmer Coker HouseHistoric Site
This 1881 Sonoran/Early Transitional adobe was home to the Elmer Coker family in 1907. A prominent cattleman and lawyer specializing in land and water rights. Coker was a delegate to the Arizona Constitutional Convention and is considered the father . . . — Map (db m26626) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Camp Verde — Pecan Lane Rural Historic Landscape
Upper Plaque: Pecan Lane Rural Historic Landscape Lower Plaque: Pecan Lane Rural Historic Landscape was added to the National Register of Historic Places on May 2, 2000. Pecan Lane played a significant part in the . . . — Map (db m27855) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Camp Verde — Wales Arnold
In memory of Wales Arnold. Co. E, 5th Cal. Vol. Inft.: Scout in Apache Wars: Post trader at Camp Verde: Pioneer farmer in Verde Valley: and of his wife, the beloved ”Aunty Arnold” of all the Verde. — Map (db m100022) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Dewey — Historic Site of Orchard RanchHome of Sharlot Mabridth Hall — (1870-1943) —
In 1890 James and Adeline Hall purchased 130 acres here above the junction of the Agua Fria River and Lynx Creek. The Halls named their homestead "Orchard Ranch" and, with the help of their children, Sharlot and Ted, produced apples and beef. . . . — Map (db m33059) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Early UptownHistoric Sedona
In early times. Uptown Sedona was a patchwork of orchards, homestead and pastures. In the late 1930s, the Jordan’s built a stone building along the highway from which to sell their fruit to the increasing traveler traffic coming down the newly . . . — Map (db m133575) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — OrchardsHistoric Sedona
Sedona’s earliest permanent settlers planted fruit trees as they arrived along Oak Creek. Apples and peaches seemed to grow well along with apricots and plums. Grapevines didn’t take as long to mature as fruit trees so the Schuerman’s planted grapes . . . — Map (db m133679) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Seligman — Beale Wagon RoadSeligman, Arizona
From 1857 to 1860 Lt. Edward F. Beale and a crew of 100 men built the first federal highway in the southwest. The 1857 Beale Expedition used 22 camels and dromedaries for pack animals. This road went from Fort Smith, Arkansas to Los Angeles, . . . — Map (db m32206) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — World War II Home Front

Following the sneak attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, the massive American production might was mobilized. After that attack the production of most non-essential consumer goods was halted or curtailed, and manufacturing facilities . . . — Map (db m92187) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Lowell — Canning Factory

January 1936, Tom Farish & Joe Steele started building a canning factory using a lot of donated labor. The first run of green beans was June 26, 1936, tomatoes July 22, 1936, followed by spinach and other products later on.

After Tom Farish . . . — Map (db m93283) HM

Arkansas (Chicot County), Lake Village — Italian Immigrants On Sunnyside Plantation
In 1895 Austin Corbin, a New York banker and land developer, working with immigration officials brought 100 families from north central Italy to grow cotton at Sunnyside, a plantation located between the Mississippi River and Lake Chicot. These . . . — Map (db m89774) HM
Arkansas (Chicot County), Lake Village — Lakeport Plantation House
Side 1 The Lakeport Plantation house was constructed circa 1859 for Lycurgus and Lydia Taylor Johnson. The skilled craftsmanship and lasting character are testaments to those who built the house. It is preserved in remembrance of all who . . . — Map (db m90491) HM
Arkansas (Cross County), Parkin — Mississippian Garden — Parkin Archaeological State Park —
The legacy of the Mississippian culture lives forever through the Three Sisters Garden, like the one you see planted here. The American Indians who lived here over 500 years ago were expert farmers whose most important crops were corn, beans, . . . — Map (db m116605) HM
Arkansas (Lee County), Marianna — Marianna ArkansasDedicated to Pioneer Families of Marianna
Marianna named in honor of Maryann Martin Harland Town established 1858 A.D. Incorporated Oct. 24, 1870 A.D. 1870 Agriculture, Timber Population 165 1970 Agriculture, Industry Population 6215 — Map (db m117262) HM
Arkansas (Little River County), Wilton — Mills Family Story
In the fall of 1851, three Mills brothers headed west, one by water, one by land and one to Texas. This brought Joel Mills wife, Kitura Burke Bird and family from Henderson Co., Tennessee to Sevier County, now known as Little River County. . . . — Map (db m121361) HM
Arkansas (Lonoke County), Carlisle — William H. FullerFather of the Arkansas Rice Industry
In 1897 on the NW 1/4 Sect. 8 1N 7W Fuller planted the first rice on the Grand Prairie. The venture failed. Having learned about rice production in Louisiana, he returned for more information. In 1903 he returned to Lonoke County. The citizens of . . . — Map (db m96636) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Sans Souci
The 10,000-acre Sans Souci plantation established in 1854 by John Harding McGavock, served as a Civil War hospital as the Union fleet docked across from the home. In addition to farming cotton, much acreage was devoted to hunting deer, bear, and . . . — Map (db m36298) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Site of John Hinkel Livery Stable, 1900Berkeley Farm Creamery Complex — F.E. Armstrong, Contractor, 1910 —
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1998 By 1900, downtown Berkeley had developed around Shattuck Avenue, its main street. On this site, owned by John Hinkel, stood a brick livery stable run by John Fitzpatrick, the early operator of the . . . — Map (db m54346) HM
California (Alameda County), Dublin — Dobbel Family
Margaret Tehan Dobbel, the granddaughter of Jeremiah and Ellen Fallon. She was born in Jeremiah Fallon’s home, Dublin, 1874. She married Julius Dobbel and had 13 children. They raised cattle and sheep at Rice, Camel, Dougherty and Donlon Ranches. — Map (db m26822) HM
California (Alameda County), Fremont — Ardenwood Historic Farm / George Washington Patterson Ranch
. . . — Map (db m28825) HM
California (Alameda County), Fremont — 642 — Leland Stanford Winery
This winery was founded in 1869 by Leland Stanford, railroad builder, Governor of California, United States Senator, and founder of Stanford University. The vineyard, planted by his brother Josiah Stanford, helped to prove that wines equal to any in . . . — Map (db m100554) HM
California (Alameda County), Hayward — The Meek Mansion
Built in 1869 by William Meek, a pioneer of commercial agriculture, the mansion is characteristic of the affluent agricultural society of the Victorian era in California. The estate is on the site of the former Rancho San Lorenzo. This area . . . — Map (db m149204) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — 641 — Concannon Vineyard
Here, in 1883, James Concannon founded the Concannon Vineyard. The quality it achieved in sacramental and commercial wines helped establish Livermore Valley as one of America’s select wine growing districts. Grape cuttings from this vineyard were . . . — Map (db m100553) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — 586 — Cresta Blanca Winery
Here, Charles A. Wetmore planted his vineyard in 1882. The Cresta Blanca wine he made from its fruit won for California the first international award, the highest honor at the 1889 Paris Exposition, first bringing assurance to California wine . . . — Map (db m100552) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — 241 — Robert LivermoreFirst Settler of Livermore Valley
Born in England 1799 – Died Rancho Las Positas 1858. Arrived in Monterey 1822. Married Josefa Higuera y Puentes 1830. Settled on Rancho Las Positas 1835. “Next to the Mission Fathers, he was the first man to engage himself in the . . . — Map (db m100547) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — 957 — Wente Bros. Winery
Here the first Wente Vineyards of 47 acres was established by C.H. Wente in 1883. In 1935 his sons, Ernest and Herman, introduced California’s first varietal wine label, Sauvignon Blanc. The efforts of the Wente family have helped to establish the . . . — Map (db m100563) HM
California (Alameda County), Pleasanton — 510 — Alviso AdobeAlviso Adobe Community Park
Built in 1854, the Alviso Adobe is one of the few adobe structures remaining in the Bay Area. Declared a California Historic Landmark in 1954, the building stands relatively unmodified since the 1920s. The adobe was in continuous use from 1854 . . . — Map (db m24616) HM
California (Alameda County), Pleasanton — Meadowlark Dairy - The Dairy SiloAlviso Adobe Community Park
At roughly 45 feet high, the Meadowlark Dairy silo was a distinctive visual landmark. This circular paving marks the silo’s approximate location. The original silo and barn were much larger. Silage, fodder for animals, is created by partially . . . — Map (db m24663) HM
California (Alameda County), Pleasanton — Meadowlark Dairy – Dairy BunkhouseAlviso Adobe Community Park
There were once many buildings on the Meadowlark Dairy complex. One important building was a place for the ranch hands and workers to sleep and socialize. This bunkhouse is a smaller version of the one that was at the dairy. The current Foothill . . . — Map (db m24665) HM
California (Alameda County), Pleasanton — Meadowlark Dairy – Dairy Manager’s HouseAlviso Adobe Community Park
These low boundary walls show the approximate location of the Meadowlark Dairy manager’s house. The dairy manager played an important role in day-to-day operations. His house had a kitchen, living room, office and bedrooms. A half-cellar under the . . . — Map (db m24671) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — Historic Daniel & Meta Best Home1886
This home was built in the late 1870’s by Joseph Demont, a San Leandro pioneer who was active in industry and politics. Daniel Best bought the property in 1886. Best established Daniel Best Agricultural Works, which later became Caterpillar Tractor. . . . — Map (db m26380) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — San Leandro – Cherry Festivals
West side of marker: San Leandro’s farmers expected a bumper crop of cherries in 1909. Why not celebrate and promote the city and one of its wonderful crops? The first cherry festival took place that spring. The Oakland . . . — Map (db m26458) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — San Leandro – Industry
West side of marker: San Leandro’s first industries served the needs of farmers. In 1886, Daniel Best bought San Leandro Plow and formed Daniel Best Agriculture Works to manufacture tractors, combines, and harvesters. Best’s son . . . — Map (db m26437) HM
California (Alameda County), Union City — 768 — Site of the Nation’s First Successful Beet Sugar Factory
The factory was built in 1870 by E. H. Dyer, “Father of the American Beet Sugar Industry.” Located on a corner of Dyer’s farm, the small factory began processing sugarbeets on November 15, 1870, and produced 293 tons of sugar during its . . . — Map (db m100556) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — Scully Ranch
Property settled by J. P. Martin in 1848. Home built circa 1852. Purchased in 1882 by William Scully, who arrived from Ireland in 1854. The Scully family has owned and operated the ranch for five generations. Present owners are Robert and Etta . . . — Map (db m42398) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — University of California Foothill Field Station1888 – 1903
The Foothill Station became the first University of California qualifying outlying station funded jointly by federal, state and local county sources in March 1888. The station was developed under the patronage of Senator A. Caminetti of Jackson. . . . — Map (db m72065) HM
California (Amador County), Pine Grove — Chaw'seThe Grinding Rock
Chaw’se is the Miwok word for a mortar hole. The cup-shaped depression in a grinding rock was used to process acorns and other seeds into food by pounding and grinding with a cobblestone pestle.      The hole or chaw’se began as a . . . — Map (db m71895) HM
California (Amador County), Plymouth — Shenandoah ValleySince 1852
Dedicated to the early Shenandoah Valley pioneers & their descendants. They mined gold & produced grain, livestock, orchards & vineyards in these rolling hills. Nearby are the old school, used for 100 years, and now a social center, and the cemetery . . . — Map (db m10639) HM
California (Butte County), Chico — 329 — Rancho Del Arroyo Chico
A vast expanse covering 26,000 acres, Rancho Chico was purchased in 1849-50 by John Bidwell. In 1865 he began construction of the mansion nearby, which in time became the social and cultural center of the upper Sacramento Valley. It was through his . . . — Map (db m108748) HM
California (Butte County), Chico — The Historic Home of Annie and John BidwellA House With a Style
Completed in 1868, the home featured many surprisingly modern conveniences including running water, flush toilets, an acetylene gas lighting system, eight fireplaces, and wall-to-wall carpeting. The pink stucco mansion was designed by San Francisco . . . — Map (db m29644) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — 1043 — Mother Orange Tree of Butte County
Judge Joseph Lewis planted this Mediterranean Sweet Orange seedling near the toll bridge at Bidwell’s Bar, Butte County, California in 1856. It has survived hard times and is the oldest living orange tree in California. “From its example and . . . — Map (db m143395) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — 1043 — Northern California's Oldest Citrus TreeSweet Mother Orange and Her Seeds
Imported from Mazatlan, Mexico, the Mother Orange Tree was purchased on the streets of Sacramento when it was only a 2 to 3 year-old seedling in a tub. She was planted in 1856 and quickly grew into a California legend. The leafy greens of her robust . . . — Map (db m62787) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — Oroville Dam
In deep appreciation of those who had the foresight to plan, design, and construct the Oroville Dam Project and to those who have been operating and maintaining it for the State Water Project and the people of California. Since its inception, . . . — Map (db m101447) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — 314 — The Mother Orange Tree of Butte CountyBidwell Bar Bridge
To commemorate The Mother Orange Tree of Butte County planted at this spot by Judge Joseph Lewis in 1856 The Bidwell Bar Bridge First suspension bridge of California Transported from New York via Cape Horn 1853. Completed . . . — Map (db m100596) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — Bells
Fashioned as either small ornaments or large enough to be heard for miles, bells have long been a part of human history and culture. First appearing around 2000 B.C. as simple percussion instruments, they continue to celebrate special events to this . . . — Map (db m101587) HM
California (Calaveras County), Copperopolis — Madame Josephine Felix
Josephine Felix arrived from France in 1852, one of the first settlers in Salt Spring Valley. Soon widowed, she established a waystation at the junction of the Angels and Central Ferry Roads. She wed neighbor Alban Hettick and the couple developed a . . . — Map (db m58929) HM
California (Calaveras County), Jenny Lind — 266 — Jenny Lind
Settled in the 1840’s as a flourishing gold mining, cattle ranching and farming community. — Map (db m13040) HM
California (Colusa County), Arbuckle — Arbuckle
In 1859 Tacitus Ryland Arbuckle located a homestead in the Sacramento Valley, and in 1875 had the land plotted for a town site. The legendary Arbuckle founded the town, deeded the lots, furnished the nails, and helped build the first houses in what . . . — Map (db m54548) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Alamo — Whitegate Farm
Since 1856 Built by Charles and Nathaniel Howard Owner Ray L. Donahue — Map (db m93990) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Antioch — The Cannery Lady
In the early 19th century many canneries operated throughout California. The rich agricultural and fishing areas of east Contra Costa County hosted a number of canneries and packing sheds. The picturesque Antioch waterfront was home to two canneries . . . — Map (db m18292) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Antioch — The McCoy Cook House
This little house built by the McCoy's in 1861, at their ranch on the side of Kirker Pass, served as their first home. As time passed and the ranch became established, a much larger farmhouse was built for the family. It was then that the 2 room . . . — Map (db m93574) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Brentwood — Byer/Nail House
This house, which serves as the museum for the East Contra Costa Historical Society, was originally built by Johnson and Elizabeth Fancher in 1878. In the early 1880's the Fanchers sold the house and surrounding acreage to John and Letitia Byer. In . . . — Map (db m94652) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Clayton — Clayton
Miwok Indians inhabited this valley at the base of Mt. Diablo when Spanish explorers came in the 1770’s. Scouts, trappers, prospectors and settlers followed. In 1857 Clayton was founded by Joel Clayton, a miner, farmer, and wagonmaster from . . . — Map (db m59954) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Clayton — De Martini Winery
Paul De Martini built Clayton Vineyards Winery in 1885 on land formerly owned by Joel Clayton, the area’s first vintner. An Austrian stone mason directed construction, using stone quarried on Mount Diablo and hauled here by wagon teams. This was the . . . — Map (db m60033) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Clayton — Keller Ranch
As early as 2000 BC, this area was home to the Volvon Miwok Native Americans. Many artifacts of their lifestyle were found when American settlers arrived in the 1800s. Under the Homestead Act between 1862 and 1872, Clayton's founder, Joel Clayton . . . — Map (db m150414) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — A Community of Flower Growers
(front or street side:)

"My parents were given much help (from the Adachis and Nabetas) digging a well by hand and building their house. Much help was given on how to grow the flowers as well as how to build the greenhouses. . . . — Map (db m145945) HM

California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — Contra Costa Florist
In front of you is the last remaining structure of El Cerrito's once vibrant Japanese American flower growing industry: the former storefront of Contra Costa Florist which was owned by the Mabuchi Family.

Hikojiro and Tomi Mabuchi, . . . — Map (db m145944) HM

California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — Farms and Dairies
El Cerrito was once a town of farms and dairies. The mild weather, lush fields, and many creeks coming down from the hills made for excellent dairy farming. Over the years, there have been about 25 dairies located in El Cerrito. — Map (db m94131) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Sobrante — Dairy Country
El Sobrante never attracted heavy industry. Probably the largest commercial enterprise in the town was the S.P. Skow & Sons Dairy, which supplied milk in Richmond and surrounding towns. For most of that time, the dairy was located on Clark Road, . . . — Map (db m94273) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Sobrante — Ranchos to Ranches
El Sobrante gets its name from Rancho El Sobrante, "surplus" land situated between existing ranchos that in 1841 was granted by the government of Mexico to brothers Juan Jose and Victor Castro. Curiously, El Sobrante's downtown is actually within . . . — Map (db m94305) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — The Christian Brothers Winery
In the city, from 1879 to 1932, the 70 acre parcel of land extending in a triangle from what is now Bush Street to Pacheco Boulevard to Brown Street to Alhambra Creek was owned by The Christian Brothers Religious Teaching Order, Founded by Saint . . . — Map (db m112828) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — 511 — The Vicente Martinez Adobe - 1849
Vicente Martínez was born in Santa Barbara on August 18, 1818, the second son of Don Ygnacio and Martina de Arellano Martínez who were married in the Presidio Chapel at Santa Barbara 1802. Don Ygnacio Martínez was a Spanish officer at San Diego and . . . — Map (db m50827) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Pleasant Hill — Rodgers Ranch
Patrick Rodgers left Ireland for America C. 1843 at the age of 10, without his family. In 1855, he arrived in California for the Gold Rush. In 1868, he and his wife, Mary Ann, bought this 149-acre site to grow wheat. The Rodgers, along with eight . . . — Map (db m99625) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — Broad Spreader of Seed Spreader WagonManure Spreader
Used for sowing seeds in the fields. Most early farm machinery were Rube Goldberg-like contraptions. When the wagon wheels turned, the gears fastened to them turned other gears. — Map (db m93982) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — Farmall Tractor - c. 1925"A New Era in Power Farming"
First model built by International Harvester in 1924. Designed to cultivate or weed between rows. Instead of the traditional side-mounted flywheel to which a belt was attached to run machinery, the Farmall had what was known as a "power take-off," a . . . — Map (db m93979) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Mining Ditches
Mining ditches were dug by ditch companies to carry vast amounts of water needed for placer mining. Thousands of miles of ditches and flumes were built in the gold country; some brought immense profits to their owners. As mining declined in the . . . — Map (db m17484) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Monroe Family Homestead
The home of the pioneer Monroe family stood here for more than a century. The family matriarch, Nancy Gooch, came across the plains from Missouri as a slave in 1849. She gained her freedom in 1850 when California joined the Union as a . . . — Map (db m17455) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Monroe House
Perly Monroe was the grandson of Peter and Nancy Gooch, who were freed from slavery here when California became a state in 1850. The Monroe family became successful fruit farmers and prominent property holders in Coloma. Built in 1925, this house is . . . — Map (db m17205) HM
California (El Dorado County), Diamond Springs — 487 — Diamond Springs
This town, settled in 1848, derived its name from its crystal clear springs. Among the richest in this vicinity its diggings produced a 25 pound nugget, one of the largest in El Dorado County. Its most thriving period was in 1851. Later it became a . . . — Map (db m10936) HM
California (El Dorado County), Gold Hill — 815 — Wakamatsu Tea and Silk Farm Colony
Site of the only tea and silk farm established in California. First agricultural settlement of pioneer Japanese immigrants who arrived at Gold Hill on June 8, 1869. Despite the initial success, it failed to prosper. It marked the beginning of . . . — Map (db m76181) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Boeger Winery
This fieldstone building was built by Giovanni N. Lombardo in 1872 from stones cleared to plant vineyards on the property. The lower cellar was used to produce wine for the local community. The grapes were crushed in the upper story living room and . . . — Map (db m101534) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — James G. EddyApril 7, 1881 - June 5, 1964
Whose deep concern for the conservation and improvement of our forests led him to establish the Eddy Tree Breeding Station on this site in 1925. His own effort and funds created this oldest forest genetics research institution in the Western . . . — Map (db m105854) HM
California (Fresno County), Coalinga — Crescent Meat Co.1905 – 1968
Jacob Zwang was born in Sennefeld, Baden Germany and migrated to the United States in 1896 at the age of 16 years. He arrived at 2:00 o’clock in the morning and was met by his uncle Moses Levy, and cousin Albert Levy. This was the start of a . . . — Map (db m64061) HM
California (Fresno County), Easton — 35 — Easton / Washington Union High School District
[Side A:] Easton In 1878, O.W. Easton and J.P. Whitney, San Francisco entrepreneurs, bought a total of 12 sections of land in this area (7680 acres), formed the Washington Irrigated Colony and began selling 20-acre farms. Allen T. . . . — Map (db m28011) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — 916 — Forestiere Underground Gardens
Here, beneath the hot, arid surface of the San Joaquin Valley, Baldasare Forestiere (1879-1946) began in the early 1900's to sculpt a fantastic retreat. Excavating the hardpan by hand, he created a unique complex of underground rooms, passages and . . . — Map (db m41003) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — Fresno
"Fresno" is the Spanish word for "Ash Tree." The first settlement to which the name was applied was "Fresno City," a station on the old Butterfield Stage Route located on Fresno Slough about one and one-half miles northwesterly from the present . . . — Map (db m41007) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — Honoring the Ex-Braceros and Their ContributionsHonoramos los Ex-Braceros y Sus Contribuciones — 1942 - 1964 —
During and after World War II, nearly 5,000,000 contracted braceros came to work in agriculture and on the railroads, the majority in California and the San Joaquin Valley, under U.S. and Mexican Treaty, demonstrating their patriotism . . . — Map (db m41067) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — 20 — Moses J. Church
The Father of Fresno Irrigation. He was born in New York State in 1819, became a blacksmith and emigrated to California in 1852. He came to Fresno County in 1868 and employed by A. Y. Easterby, built the first irrigation system for lush fields of . . . — Map (db m127909) HM
California (Fresno County), Sanger — 25 — Kings River
Its waters made possible the irrigation of a million fertile acres, despite a 39 year battle over water rights. From 1882 forward, 150 lawsuits were filed and early irrigators often used armed force to open headgates to water their crops. L. A. . . . — Map (db m27996) HM
California (Fresno County), Sanger — 38 — William "Yank" Hazelton1824 -1906
"Yank" Hazelton, son of Joseph, a blacksmith, and Sophia Cleveland, was born in Coeyman, N.Y., in 1824. He emigrated to California through San Diego in 1853. He settled on this site and homesteaded this land in November, 1857, with his wife of 2 . . . — Map (db m28069) HM
California (Fresno County), Selma — 30 — Groundwater Irrigation Beginnings
[Marker Front:] Groundwater Irrigation Beginnings The San Joaquin Valley's groundwater reservoir was first tapped with a practical pumping plant 4 miles northeast of here on Dec. 12, 1894. William De La Grange of Selma, tired of . . . — Map (db m28594) HM
California (Fresno County), Selma — Libby, McNeill and Libby Cannery
On this 6 1/4 acre site, Libby, McNeill and Libby opened the San Joaquin Valley's largest cannery on July 18, 1911, less than four hectic months after the site was acquired and construction plans were announced. The initial construction cost was . . . — Map (db m52240) HM
California (Humboldt County), Ferndale — 883 — Ferndale
This pioneer agricultural community, settled in 1852, helped feed the booming population of mid-century San Francisco. Long known as “Cream City,” Ferndale made innovative and lasting contributions to the dairy industry. Local . . . — Map (db m1557) HM
California (Humboldt County), Ferndale — The First California Central Creamery
This site, originally R.A. Simpson's Ferndale Mechanical Shop, and shared by A. Monroe Cider and Vinegar Company, was chosen in 1904 by Aage Jensen as the founding location of the Central Creamery with first production of butter in September, . . . — Map (db m65235) HM
California (Humboldt County), Loleta — Early Agricultural Use of the Bottomlands
These historic images represent an earlier time when the low-lying wetlands and salt marshes around Humboldt Bay and the lower Eel River valley were largely drained and converted to agricultural uses. Under the congressional Swamp and . . . — Map (db m139531) HM
California (Humboldt County), Loleta — History of the McBride Ranch
Hard work and perseverance created a family business that lasted generations In 1850, Joseph and Zipporah Russ moved to Humboldt County from Maine to start a cattle and sheep ranch. The main buildings were built between 1915 and 1925 and . . . — Map (db m139548) HM

3659 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 3459
Paid Advertisement
May. 30, 2020