Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Notable Events Historical Markers

3253 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 3053
 
The Pride of Seven Flags Marker image, Touch for more information
April 4, 2007
The Pride of Seven Flags Marker
Alabama (Baldwin County), Fort Morgan — The Pride of Seven Flags
On Dixie Graves Parkway near Alabama Route 180 W.
(East Face): Tribute dedicated to the memory of the soldiers who gave their lives in the defense of our country here at Fort Morgan. Here lies the pride of seven flags entombed in our ancestor’s worth, who heard the thunder of the fray . . . — Map (db m4649) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Gulf Shores — Fort Bowyer War of 1812
On Dixie Graves Highway, on the right when traveling south.
At, or near, this site, the United States, after seizing this point of land from the Spanish in 1813, built Fort Bowyer, a structure of wood and sand. A small garrison of men courageously fought to defend the fort against two British attacks, one . . . — Map (db m104017) HM
Alabama (Butler County), Greenville — Ogly-Stroud Massacre / Gary's Stockade
On Sherling Lake Road (Road 44) 0.4 miles north of Ridge Road (County Road 54), on the right when traveling north.
Ogly-Stroud Massacre William Ogly built his cabin near this site at Poplar Springs along the Federal Road, and was killed here with most of his family on March 13, 1818. His friend Eli Stroud's wife was fatally wounded and their infant . . . — Map (db m120933) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Muscle Shoals — The Singing River SculptureIn Muscle Shoals, Alabama
On Avalon Avenue at Brown Street, on the left when traveling west on Avalon Avenue.
This sculpture is dedicated to the many individuals whose efforts made Muscle Shoals and the Muscle Shoals area the “Hit Recording Capital of the World,” and to those who continue that legacy. Legend of the Singing River The . . . — Map (db m95318) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Sheffield — President Franklin Delano Roosevelt
On South Montgomery Avenue at West 1st Street, on the right when traveling south on South Montgomery Avenue.
On Jan. 21, 1933 President-elect Franklin Delano Roosevelt addressed an immense crowd at this crossing from his railroad car and promised "to put Muscle Shoals back on the map." He then toured the idle U.S. Nitrate Plant No. 2 and Wilson Dam with . . . — Map (db m83392) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — Sacred TearsBy Branko Medenica — September 19, 2003
On South Main Street at Spring Park Road, on the left when traveling south on South Main Street.
Panel 1 Tuscumbia and much of the Shoals area played an integral part in the "Trail of Tears" with the Tennessee River route and the overland routes. In 1825, the U.S. Government formally adopted a removal policy, which was carried out . . . — Map (db m83403) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — 99 — The Blues Trail: Mississippi to Alabama
On U.S. 72.
Musicians have long crossed the Alabama -Mississippi border to perform and record. Mississippians such as Albert King, Little Milton, and Pops Staples recorded at studios in Muscle Shoals and Sheffield, including those owned by Mississippi natives . . . — Map (db m50652) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — Yellow Fever Epidemic 1878 / The 31 Victims of Yellow Fever Who died in Tuscumbia
On North Main Street at North Commons Street, on the left when traveling north on North Main Street.
Side AYellow Fever Epidemic 1878 Taking 31 Lives in Tuscumbia Citizen's Relief Committee: F.H. Aydlett, H.M. Finley, J.J. Davis, James Jackson, Chm. J.W. Rand Jr., F.A. Ross, J.N. Sampson, Sec. and C. A. Womble. . . . — Map (db m29263) HM
Alabama (Covington County), Andalusia — Old Courthouse Clock Bell
On North Court Square at Crescent Street, on the right when traveling west on North Court Square.
Old courthouse clock bell from 1897 to 1917 has been donated to Covington County this Bicentennial year 1976 by H. Speller Moates and family. Dedicated to the early settlers of Covington County Erected in honor of the . . . — Map (db m94205) HM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — Bent But Not Broken
Near Lee Avenue SW near Broadway Ave SW.
A tribute to the citizens of Cullman County for bending, but not breaking, following the EF4 tornado on April 27, 2011. Dedicated: April 27, 2013 Designed by: Cullman City Street Dept. — Map (db m101094) HM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — Marion Albert HillNov. 13, 1895 — Feb. 3. 1979
Near Sportsman Lake Road NW 0.4 miles west of 2nd Avenue NW (Route 31).
The Cullman County native was the first man drafted in America for World War I. His Selective Service number 258, was the first one drawn in the U.S. Senate Building in Washington D.C. on July 20, 1917. 10,500 men were drafted that . . . — Map (db m101097) HM
Alabama (Cullman County), Vinemont — Streight’s RaidThe Battle of Hog Mountain
On County Road 1136 0.4 miles north of Route 1145, on the right when traveling north.
"This was a glorious fight, one that did the soldiers' hearts good to look upon, made there in the mountains in the darkness of the night, almost hand-to-hand, with only the light from the vivid flash of the artillery and . . . — Map (db m101089) HM
Alabama (Cullman County), Vinemont — Streight’s RaidA Failed Campaign
On County Road 1136 0.4 miles north of 1145, on the right when traveling north.
"The thanks of Congress are again due to General N. B. Forrest and the officers and men of his command, for meritorious service in the field, and especially for the daring, skill, and perseverance exhibited in the pursuit . . . — Map (db m101090) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Cahaba — Death in the Street
On Second Street North at Vine Street, on the left when traveling west on Second Street North.
On a May afternoon in 1856, an angry John A. Bell rounded this corner carrying a large hickory stick. He passed by Edward Perine's fine brick store, and continued south down the sidewalk. Under his coat, he carried two pistols and a . . . — Map (db m112527) HM
Alabama (Etowah County), Gadsden — Eleventh Street School
On Chestnut Street at South 11th Street, on the right when traveling east on Chestnut Street.
The Eleventh Street School, built in 1907, was one of the earliest elementary schools in Gadsden. It is the only local surviving school building of that era. This two-story red brick structure has solid masonry exterior walls and an entrance which . . . — Map (db m83734) HM
Alabama (Etowah County), Gadsden — The North Alabama Conference of the United Methodist Church
On Chestnut Street when traveling west.
The North Alabama Conference of the United Methodist Church was organized on this site in the Methodist Episcopal Church, South of Gadsden, Alabama November 16, 1870 Bishop Robert Paine, presiding The Centennial Convocation of the Conference . . . — Map (db m83739) HM
Alabama (Houston County), Ashford — Ashford Centennial
On Broadway Avenue (County Road 55) at Midland Street, on the right when traveling north on Broadway Avenue.
Ashford was incorporated on June 22, 1891. Citizens, friends, and families of Ashford gathered here on June 22, 1991, to remember Ashford's durable and progressive history. This commemoration also affirmed their faith in Ashford's future by placing . . . — Map (db m73411) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — The Iron Man: Vulcan
Near Valley View Drive west of Richard Arrington Jr Boulevard South.
The giant, cast iron statue you see towering above you is Vulcan, the Roman god of metalwork and the forge. The 56-foot tall statue was commissioned by Birmingham leaders to represent their new, growing city at the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair. After . . . — Map (db m26297) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Leeds — John HenryLedgendary 'Steel Drivin' Man'
On Thornton Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
The story of "steel driving' man" John Henry is one of America's most enduring legends. The strong ex-slave became a folk hero during construction of the Columbus & Western Railroad between Goodwater and Birmingham. He drilled holes for explosives . . . — Map (db m22207) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — "Mountain" Tom ClarkHanged September 4, 1872
On Tennessee Street.
The notorious outlaw gang leader who boasted that no one would ever run over Tom Clark lies buried near the center of Tennessee Street where now all who pass by do run over him. In 1872, Clark, who terrorized helpless citizens during the Civil . . . — Map (db m80320) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Andrew Jackson's Military Road-1817-
On County Route 47 at Cox Creek Parkway on County Route 47.
Construction of this road, as ordered by General Andrew Jackson, began in May 1817 by troops of the U.S. Army for national defense purposes. Beginning near Nashville, Tennessee and continuing to Madison, Louisiana, it shortened the distance from . . . — Map (db m80321) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Ante-Bellum Cotton Mills 1840
On Appleby Blvd. at Cypress Mill Road on Appleby Blvd..
About one mile west of here is the site of the Globe Cotton Factory which was erected on Cypress Creek in 1840. By 1857 its operations included three cotton mills, a flour mill, and two corn mills, all powered by the use of three dams. By 1860 the . . . — Map (db m83938) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Cherokee Chief Doublehead's village around 1800
On U.S. 72, on the right when traveling east.
About 1800 Doublehead located his village at this site, where his brother-in-law Tahlonteeskee had previously lived. Doublehead's log house was built along the same style of those of the white settlers. Chief Doublehead had previously led raids . . . — Map (db m83942) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Dr. Ethelbert Brinkley NortonCity of Florence Walk of Honor
Near Hightower Place south of Veterans Drive (Alabama Route 133), on the left when traveling south.
Dr. E. B. Norton was a member of the U.S. Education Mission sent to Japan after World War II to advise Gen. McArthur on the complete reorganization of the Japanese School System, which is still in place today. — Map (db m29266) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Dred Scott(In Florence 1820 -1830)
On N. Pine Street at W. Tennessee St on N. Pine Street.
Dred Scott, whose name is associated with the landmark U.S. Supreme Court Dred Scott Decision of 1857, was born in Virginia between 1795~1809. In 1818 he was in Madison County, Alabama. He came to Florence with the Peter Blow family in 1820. About . . . — Map (db m35183) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — General John CoffeeHome Site and Grave
On Cloverdale Road/Co Rd 157.
Cavalry Commander under Andrew Jackson throughout War of 1812: (Creek War, Pensacola, New Orleans). Negotiated many treaties ceding Indian lands to U.S. Made original surveys of Tennessee Valley. — Map (db m35259) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Justice John McKinley Federal Building
On N. Seminary St. just from E. Tombigbee St..
Side A Named for Alabama's first United States Supreme Court Justice, John McKinley made his home in Florence, Alabama from about 1821 to 1842. Born May 1, 1780 in Culpepper County, Virginia, he died July 19, 1852 and is buried in . . . — Map (db m28930) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Lt. Col. R. Edward YeildingCity of Florence Walk of Honor
Near Highttower Place south of Veterans Drive (Alabama Route 133), on the left when traveling south.
After flying more than 90 worldwide reconnaissance missions, in 1990 Lt. Col. Ed Yeilding set a coast to coast aircraft speed record of 67 minutes 54 seconds flying an SR-71 spy plane, which is now at the Smithsonian. — Map (db m84030) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Prehistoric Native Americans / Historic Native Americans(Circa 8,000 B.C. ~1500 A.D.) / (Circa 1550 A.D.~ 1816 A.D.)
On McFarland Park Road.
Side A This area near the mouth of Cypress Creek was inhabited by Archaic People as early as 8,000 B.C. Their main food consisted of freshwater mollusks from the river. (These mussels were the origin of the name "Muscle Shoals.") The . . . — Map (db m84044) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Samuel Cornelius PhillipsCity of Florence Walk of Honor
Near Hightower Place south of Veterans Drive (Alabama Route 133), on the left when traveling south.
Known as the "Father of Rock and Roll," Sam Phillips established Sun Records in 1952, helping Elvis Presley and other well-known artists launch their careers. He received a Grammy for Lifetime Achievement in music. — Map (db m84046) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — The Father of Rock ’N’ Roll / Sam Phillips in Florence
Near Hightower Pl..
Side A Sam Phillips fell in love with the miracle of sound and the unifying power of music. Moving to Memphis, Tennessee, he embraced the beauty of the blues with his early recordings of Howlin Wolf, B.B. King and other delta artists. In . . . — Map (db m29270) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — The University of North AlabamaFootball Program National NCAA Division II — Championship Titles (1993~1994~1995)
On Pine Street.
The University of North Alabama became the first school in the history of NCAA scholarship football to win three consecutive national championships (1993, 1994, and 1995). Under Coach Bobby Wallace, UNA posted a 41~1 record over the same three ~ . . . — Map (db m32765) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Wilson Family Cemetery 19th Century / Slave Cemetery 19th Century
On Plantation Springs Drive.
Side A In 1818 three Wilson brothers John, Matthew and Samuel, came from Virginia to purchase large farms in this area. The plantations of John and Matthew joined near this cemetery. All three brothers and their families are buried here. . . . — Map (db m28160) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Waterloo — Trail of Tears
On Main Street.
Thousands of Cherokee Indians passed through Waterloo in the 1830s when they were forced by the U.S. government to move West on the "Trail of Tears". Most came by boat from Tuscumbia and camped here to await transfer to larger steamboats. During the . . . — Map (db m84301) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Waterloo — WaterlooSettled 1819~Incorporated 1832
One of Alabama's oldest incorporated towns. Waterloo was an important Tennessee river port during the steamboat era. In low~water season after large boats from Louisville, Cincinnati and other places downriver unloaded here: smaller craft . . . — Map (db m84302) HM
Alabama (Lawrence County), Courtland — Early Roads / One of the South's First Railroads 1832
On College St..
Side A Tennessee Street along the north side of the square was originally part of Gaines’ Trace, a horse path laid out in 1807 under the direction of Capt. Edmund Pendleton Gaines of the U. S. Army. From Melton’s Bluff on the Tennessee . . . — Map (db m29056) HM
Alabama (Lawrence County), Courtland — The Town of Courtland / Early Settlers1819
Side A Federal lands in this area were first sold in 1818 and quickly purchased by settlers and speculators. A group of investors calling themselves the “Courtland Land Company” and consisting of William H. Whitaker, James M. . . . — Map (db m28989) HM
Alabama (Lawrence County), Oakville — Historic Indians
Five Historic Indian tribes lived in this area. By 1701, The Yuchi were living at the shoals on the Tennessee River. In early 1700s the Yuchi left, some moving to the Cherokee Nation on the Hiwassee River, TN and others to Chattahoochee River, GA. . . . — Map (db m36040) HM
Alabama (Lawrence County), Town Creek — Trail of Tears
Near Foster Mill Road (County Road 314) 0.5 miles west of Wheeler Dam Road.
Form the late 1700's to 1807 a Cherokee Chief named Doublehead guarded this area, that was claimed by both the Cherokee and Chickasaw Nations as sacred hunting grounds against encroachment of white settlers. Chief Doublehead had the reputation of . . . — Map (db m84646) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Loachapoka — Boom and Change
On Stage Road.
Coming of the railroad from Montgomery in 1845 started a new era, with Loachapoka's name revived. It became the trade center for Waverly, Roxana, Rome, Camp Hill, Dudleyville, and Dadeville. Rousseau's Raiders hit Loachapoka at sun down, . . . — Map (db m31356) HM
Alabama (Lowndes County), Mt. Carmel — Lynching in America / Lynching in Letohatchee
On West Hickory Grove Road 1.3 miles east of Route 97, on the right when traveling east.
Side 1 Lynching in America Thousands of black people were the victims of lynching and racial violence in the United States between 1877 and 1950. The lynching of African Americans during this era was a form of racial terrorism . . . — Map (db m97983) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Brownsboro — Trail of TearsDrane/Hood Overland Route
On Lee Highway/John T. Reid Parkway (U.S. 72 at milepost 109) at Brock Road, on the right when traveling west on Lee Highway/John T. Reid Parkway.
In May 1838 soldiers, under the command of U.S. Army General Winfield Scott, began rounding up Cherokee Indians in this area who had refused to move to Indian Territory in Oklahoma. About 16,000 Cherokees were placed in stockades in Tennessee and . . . — Map (db m33318) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Alabama’s Constitution And Statehood
On Gates Avenue at Franklin Street S.E. on Gates Avenue.
Before statehood, the Alabama Territory had only limited rights of self government. Between July 5 and August 2, 1819, forty-four delegates from across the Territory convened in Huntsville to draft a constitution for statehood. Lawyers, merchants, . . . — Map (db m26592) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Andrew Jackson
On Holmes Avenue at Lincoln St., NE on Holmes Avenue.
On this spot, camped his army, October 11, 1813, after marching from Fayetteville, Tenn.,~"32 miles without halting,"~ enroute to the Battle of Horseshoe Bend. — Map (db m30382) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — The Chamber of Commerce Huntsville/Madison CountyEstablished January 12, 1894
On Church Street, NW.
Side A Organized to enhance the economic growth and well~being of the community in order to provide employment opportunities and a superior quality of life for local residents. First known as the Huntsville Chamber of Commerce, the . . . — Map (db m85608) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — L'Arbre de Pau
On Theatre Street at South Royal Street, on the right when traveling west on Theatre Street.
The Tree of Pau Presented to the people of Mobile from their sister city, Pau, France. Symbolic of the restoration after Hurricane Frederic 1979. — Map (db m86439) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Le Marquis de Lafayette visited Mobile
On Government Street (U.S. 98) at South Jackson Street, on the right when traveling east on Government Street.
On this site stood the home of Mayor Samuel H. Garrow, where the Marquis de Lafayette was entertained on his visit to Mobile, April 7, 1825. Lafayette, French officer, statesman, and hero of the American Revolution, visited the United States as . . . — Map (db m86420) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Memorial to USS Herring (SS-233) — Submarines and the Battleship Park
On Battleship Parkway (U.S. 90/98) east of Old Spanish Trail (U.S. 90/98).
Panel 1: Anderson, Fred H., RT1 Anderson, John L., Jr., MoMM2 Armstrong, James E., RM1 Balestrieri, S., ENS Blair, Jack L., S2 Blevins, J.T., S1 Boucher, Leo J., S1 Brennan, James J., TM2 Bronder, John J., SC2 Brown, . . . — Map (db m74810) WM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — 27 — Michael Donald
On Michael Donald Avenue north of Old Shell Road, on the right when traveling north.
On March 21, 1981, 19-year-old Michael Donald was abducted, beaten, killed and hung from a tree on this street by members of the Ku Klux Klan. He was randomly selected in retaliation for an interracial jury failing to convict a black man for killing . . . — Map (db m111384) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell-Gunter Air Force Base — Khobar Towers MemorialDhahran   Saudia Arabia — 25 June 1996
Near Avenue D at Libby Street.
Front Khobar Towers Dhahran   Saudia Arabia 25 June 1996 Right side Eglin AFB Florida MSgt Kendall K. Kitson, Jr. TSgt Daniel B. Cafourek TSgt Patrick P. Fennig TSgt Thanh Van . . . — Map (db m95392) WM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell-Gunter Air Force Base — Operation Allied ForceKosovo Campaign — 24 Mar 1999 – 10 Jun 1999
Near Avenue D at Libby Street.
{Title is text}Map (db m95389) WM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell-Gunter Air Force Base — Operation Noble Eagle
Near Avenue D at Libby Street.
. . . — Map (db m95390) WM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell-Gunter Air Force Base — Vietnam Service Memorial
Near Avenue D at Libby Street.
Front Dedicated to the enlisted men and women who served in S.E. Asia Reverse {Vietnam Service Medal} 1958 – 1973 — Map (db m95391) WM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Chris’ Hot DogsEstablished In 1917
On Dexter Avenue east of South Perry Street, on the right when traveling east.
Greek immigrant Christopher Anastasios Katechis opened Chris’ Hot Dogs on May 1, 1917, at 138 Dexter Avenue. Until the 1960’s, Chris offered curb service for its hot dogs, leading to long lines of cars cued for service. The hot dogs featured Chris’ . . . — Map (db m103243) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Georgia GilmoreFebruary 5, 1920 - March 3, 1990
On Dericote St..
Georgia Gilmore, cited as a “solid energetic boycott participant and supporter.” Lived in this house during the days of the Montgomery Bus Boycott. Once arrested on a bus, Gilmore was ardent in her efforts to raise funds for the Movement . . . — Map (db m28197) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Harris House
On South Jackson Street, on the left when traveling south.
Front Between May 20-24, 1961 Dr. Harris opened this home to a group of 33 students from Nashville, Tennessee, who were challenging interstate bus segregation. Known as the Freedom Riders, the group was attacked at the historic Montgomery . . . — Map (db m86119) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — History of the Alabama State Bar
On Dexter Avenue east of North Hull Street, on the left when traveling east.
On December 13, 1878, a meeting was held in Montgomery for the purpose of forming a bar association, and on January 15, 1879, delegates from each county met for five days at a preliminary conference in the Hall of the House of Representatives. The . . . — Map (db m86121) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Montgomery’s Slave Markets / First Emancipation Observance - 1866
On Montgomery Street at Commerce Street, on the right when traveling west on Montgomery Street.
Side A The city’s slave market was at the Artesian Basin (Court Square). Slaves of all ages were auctioned, along with land and livestock, standing in line to be inspected. Public posters advertised sales and included gender, approximate . . . — Map (db m28187) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — The National Memorial for Peace and Justice
Near Caroline Street south of Clayton Street, on the left when traveling south.
In the 17th and 18th centuries, 12 million African people were kidnapped, chained, and brought to the Americas after a torturous journey across the Atlantic Ocean. Nearly two million people died during the voyage. The labor of enslaved black people . . . — Map (db m118044) HM
Alabama (Perry County), Marion — South College Barracks Fire of 1924
Near Washington Street south of Wilkerson Street.
Erected By The Cadet Corps 1923-1924 Cadets Jefferson Bryant Meharg and Lawrence Christopher Olsen who lost their lives in the burning of college barracks March 17, 1924 "Greater love hath no man than this, . . . — Map (db m116917) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Fort Mitchell — Fort Mitchell and Creek Removal — Creek Heritage Trail
Near County Highway 165 2.3 miles south of Nuckols Road (Road 39).
Fort Mitcheli served as a primary point of concentration for creeks being sent westward to Indian Territory before, during, and after the Second Creek War (1836-1837). By the terms of the 1832 Treaty of Washington, Creek heads of household and . . . — Map (db m101840) HM
Alabama (Saint Clair County), Ashville — Assassination Site of Sgt. E. Frank Harrison
On 5th Street (U.S. 231) south of 9th Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
In 1870 St. Clair Co. was still under Radical Republican Reconstruction. On August 20, 1870 honorable men of the County (former Confederates) had decided to hold the first Democratic Convention after the War Between the States. The meeting would be . . . — Map (db m28142) HM
Alabama (Talladega County), Oak Grove — Stars Fell On Alabama / Hodges Meteorite
On Old U.S. Highway 280 0.2 miles north of Odens Mill Road (County Road 36), on the left when traveling north.
Stars Fell On Alabama November 30, 1954. It was a cold, clear early afternoon when Dr. Moody Jacobs left his office for lunch. In the sky, he saw a trail of dark smoke and heard an explosion before white smoke shot out in several . . . — Map (db m44229) HM
Alabama (Talladega County), Talladega — Battle Of TalladegaNov. 9, 1813
On East Battle Street at Court Street North, on the right when traveling west on East Battle Street.
Here Andrew Jackson led Tennessee Volunteers and friendly Indians to victory over hostile “Red Sticks.” This action rescued friendly Creeks besieged in Fort Leslie. Creek Indian War 1813 - 1814. — Map (db m28205) HM
Alabama (Talladega County), Talladega — USS Talladega (APA-208)Talladega County — "The Tremblin' T"
On W. North Street at Court Square West, on the left when traveling west on W. North Street.
Seven Battle Stars * * * * * * * World War II * Iwo Jima Operation * Okinawa Gunto Operation First of the 31 ship convoy with occupation troops to dock at Yokohama on VJ Day, September 2, 1945 Korean War * 3rd Korean . . . — Map (db m12212) HM
Alabama (Tallapoosa County), Alexander City — The Savannah And Memphis Railroad 1874
On Broad Street at Main Street, on the right when traveling east on Broad Street.
The transformation of Youngsville from a country hamlet to a market town can be traced from the arrival of the railroad. The Savannah and Memphis Railroad was completed from Opelika to the east side of the Tallapoosa River at Sturdivant in 1872. . . . — Map (db m28653) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — “The Indian Fires Are Going Out”
On 28th Avenue south of 2nd Street, on the right when traveling south.
The Trail of Tears led thousands of Creek Indians through Tuscaloosa, capital of Alabama in 1836. Chief Eufaula addressed the legislature with these words: "I come here, brothers, to see the great house of Alabama and the men who make laws and . . . — Map (db m119308) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Arthur P. BagbyGovernor 1837 - 1841
On 6th Street west of 28th Avenue, on the right.
He inherited the financial woes brought on by the collapse of the "Flush Times". Despite chaotic banking conditions during the Panic of 1837, chancery courts and a penitentiary system were both created, and Alabama settled its boundary dispute with . . . — Map (db m29030) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Site Of The Stand In The Schoolhouse Door / Foster Auditorium, 1939
Near 6th Avenue at 8th Street.
Foster Auditorium is the site of the June 11, 1963, “stand in the schoolhouse door” by Governor George C. Wallace in defiance of a court order requiring The University of Alabama to admit African-American students Vivian Malone and James . . . — Map (db m37917) HM
Alabama (Walker County), Jasper — William Brockman Bankhead Home1874-1940 — Speaker of the United States House of Representatives
On Seventh Street.
William Brockman Bankhead served Alabama in the U.S. Congress from 1917 until 1940. For the last four years of his life, during Franklin D. Roosevelt's presidency, he served as the 47th Speaker of the House. He was the son of U.S. Senator John . . . — Map (db m29980) HM
Alaska (Sitka Borough), Sitka — 250th Anniversary of the Bering- Chirikov Expedition1741-1991
[Top rim]: К 250 летию экспедиции В. И. Беринга и А.И. . . . — Map (db m8448) HM
Alaska (Skagway Borough), Skagway — Fatal Duel
On Second Avenue at State Street, on the right when traveling east on Second Avenue.
Frank Reid, guarding the approach to Sylvester's Wharf, where the vigilantes were meeting to restore law and order, shot "Soapy Smith" who failed to stop when challenged, July 8, 1898. — Map (db m72790) HM
Alaska (Skagway Borough), Skagway — Inspector Charles Constantineand Staff Sergeant Charles Brown — Northwest Mounted Police
On Broadway at Centennial Park, on the right when traveling north on Broadway.
[Seal of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police] In Commemoration of Inspector Charles Constantine and Staff Sergeant Charles Brown North West Mounted Police First members of this historic Canadian police force who landed at Skagway, Alaska . . . — Map (db m69014) HM
Alaska (Yukon Koyukuk Borough), Nenana — Golden Spike
A Golden Spike was driven at this point by President Harding on completion of the Alaska Railroad July 15 1923 — Map (db m4286) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 17 — Bertha Wahl Shooting
On West Airport Road at North Becker Lake Road, on the right when traveling west on West Airport Road.
In 1899, 14 year old Bertha Wahl was murdered here by a shepherd. Just south of here was the original Becker Store. Beyond lie the graves of the Becker family. Due west stood Henry Springer's Mercantile. — Map (db m36647) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 19 — James Hale Shooting
On South Mountain Avenue (Business U.S. 180), on the right when traveling south.
On Dec. 25, 1886, James Hale was gunned down here in front of the Brighton Saloon. His accused was never brought to trial. In 1894 this site, then called Hunter's Hall, held the first Presbyterian services in the Round Valley. — Map (db m36651) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Douglas — Douglas International Airport
On West Airport Road near 10th Street, on the right when traveling north.
At this location on June 5, 1933, First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt, wife of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, dedicated Douglas International Airport as the first international airport in the United States. Designed by J. P. Sexton as the first . . . — Map (db m28357) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Douglas — Mormon BattalionLDS Church
Longest infantry march on record Dec 6, 1846 — Map (db m28299) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Douglas — Mormon BattalionLDS Church
On Geronimo Trail, on the right when traveling east.
San Bernardino Ranch Rest Camp Dec 5 1846 — Map (db m28300) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Hereford — The Coronado Expedition, 1540-42
Near East Montezuma Canyon Road..
Spanish: En el año 1539, recordando aún el anuncio de la conquista del imperio inca que occurrió en 1533, el virrey Antonio de Mendoza receloso pero con te a la vez, envió a un sacerdote para comprobar los rumres [rumores] sobre ricas . . . — Map (db m28255) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Tombstone — 18 — Campbell & Hatch Saloon and Billiard Parlor1881
On East Allen Street, on the left when traveling east.
Bob Hatch and John Campbell opened a billiard parlor in 1880. Bob Hatch was a colorful character and an amateur thespian. It was said he kept a jar of frogs on the counter as their croaking helped him predict the weather. He followed the Earps to . . . — Map (db m48516) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Tombstone — City Marshall Virgil Earp
On Allen Street.
Virgil Earp was ambushed here and crippled for life as an aftermath of the OK battle-Dec 28, 1881 — Map (db m61873) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Tombstone — 33 — Curly Bill Brocius
On East Allen Street, on the right when traveling east.
Curly Bill Brocius killed Marshal Fred White here on October 28th, 1880. — Map (db m53408) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Tombstone — 36 — Tombstone Engine Co. No. 11881
On East Toughnut Street, on the right when traveling east.
The devastating fires of 1881 and 1882 brought major changes to the Tombstone Fire Department. A new fire station was completed in 1881, a new Rescue Hook and Ladder Co. was formed, and a new water source was obtained. Thirty six miles of fifteen . . . — Map (db m53403) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — Beale Wagon Road1857 - 1882
On North Gemini Drive, on the right when traveling north.
From 1857-60, Lt. Edward F. Beale and a crew of 100 men completed the first federal highway in the southwest from Fort Smith, Ark. to Los Angeles, Calif. at a cost of $200,000. The wagon road was used extensively by immigrants en route to California . . . — Map (db m33346) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — Flagstaff
On Route 66 at South Beaver Street, on the right when traveling east on Route 66.
Named for a pine tree stripped of its branches by a party of immigrants and used as a flagpole for a patriotic celebration on July 4, 1876. Nearby Antelope or Old Town Spring provided water and led to the establishment of a railroad construction . . . — Map (db m33330) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — Walkway of Flags1994
On West Route 66, on the right when traveling west.
Flags have been important to the history of Flagstaff. It was a pine tree used as a flag staff that gave the town its name when Old Glory was flown at a spring (that later became the site of Flagstaff) on the occasion of the nation's . . . — Map (db m33338) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Page — Bureau of Reclamation Memorial Fountain
This fountain is dedicated to the memory of our fellow employees who died October 8, 1997 in a plane crash near Montrose, Colorado. Their names encircle the fountain just as the accomplishments of their careers and lives encircle us. . . . — Map (db m40325) HM
Arizona (Gila County), Payson — The Dude Fire
On Fire Control Road or "Control Road" (Route NF 64) 13.8 miles east of Arizona Route 260, on the left when traveling east.
On June 25, 1990 a lightning caused fire entrapped ten members of the Perryville fire crew in this canyon. Resulting in six fatalities. Before the fire was contained it had burned more than 24,000 acres and destroyed over 70 structures. This . . . — Map (db m28210) HM
Arizona (Gila County), Young — The Pleasant Valley War a.k.a. The Graham-Tewksbury FeudCirca 1882 - 1892
On Desert to Tall Pines Highway / Young Highway Road (State Highway 288).
One of the West’s Longest and Bloodiest feuds took place here and around Pleasant Valley. The Grahams and the Tewksburys had been in the cattle business and it seems probable that they first fell out over the division of cattle they jointly owned . . . — Map (db m78742) HM
Arizona (Graham County), Safford — Army of the West
On U.S. 70 at milepost 347, on the left when traveling east.
. . . — Map (db m81868) HM
Arizona (Graham County), Safford — In Memory of Lorenzo and Seth Wright
On U.S. 70 at milepost 356, 16 miles east of Town of Safford, on the left when traveling east.
In Memory of two of the many pioneers who brought law, order and safety to the Gila Valley. Lorenzo and Seth Wright were killed 1 mile north of this spot by Indians who had stolen 45 horses from early settlers. While . . . — Map (db m28170) HM
Arizona (La Paz County), Bouse — 90 — 740th Tank BattalionDaredevil Tankers
On Broadway Avenue (Arizona Route 72 at milepost 27) south of Main Street, on the right when traveling west.
The 740th tank battalion was activated at Fort Knox, Ky. on March 1, 1943. It trained at Fort Knox and at Camp Bouse, Az. as a canal defense light (CDL) unit and as a standard medium tank battalion from October 15, 1943 to April 24, 1944 then sailed . . . — Map (db m78562) HM
Arizona (La Paz County), Salome — McMullen Valley 9/11 Memorial
On U.S. 60, on the right when traveling west.
We place this memorial in honor of this great nation and the victims of September 11, 2001. — Map (db m31823) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Arizona's U.S.S. Arizona Memorial - In Memory of the Gallant MenWho Gave Their Lives on December 7, 1941 on the Battleship U.S.S. Arizona — During the Attack on Pearl Harbor
On Adams Street.
In memory of the gallant men who gave their lives on December 7, 1941 on the Battleship U.S.S. Arizona during the attack on Pearl Harbor Dedicated December 7, 1976 The Honorable Raul H. Castro, Governor of Arizona The contributions . . . — Map (db m26425) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Wickenburg — Wickenburg Massacre
On U.S. 60 at milepost 106 at Flying E Ranch Road, on the right when traveling east on U.S. 60.
. . . — Map (db m29478) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Bullhead City — 9/11 Arizona Heroes Memorial
Near Rio Grande Road.
In honor of our Arizona fire fighting heroes from Phoenix who went to New York City on September 11, 2001 to aid in the recovery efforts at the World Trade Center. Dedicated on Veterans Day — Map (db m29433) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Kingman — Ha' Qa' Muwe:(Ancestral Home of the Hualapai)
On Fort Beale Road at Wagon Trail Road, on the left when traveling north on Fort Beale Road.
In Memory of Our Hualapai Ancestors Who Fought Against Cultural Genocide With Bravery and Foresight They Sacrificed Their Lives So The Hualapai People's Survival May Continue Today And Forever… This location was a . . . — Map (db m36013) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Kingman — Mohave Center Plaza of Valor
On East Oak Street at North 5th Street, on the right when traveling west on East Oak Street.
"O Lord, thou givest us everything at the price of an effort." Leonardo Da Vinci 1452-1519 We remember those who gave their lives in the Holocaust of July 5, 1973, in Kingman John O. Campbell • Allan Hanson • Christopher G . . . — Map (db m29421) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Lake Havasu City — British – American Friendship
On McCulloch Boulevard 0.1 miles south of Arizona Route 95, on the right when traveling south.
"We are now friends with England and with all Mankind." Written by Benjamin Franklin, American Peace Commissioner in Paris, following the signing of the peace treaty ending the American Revolution September 1783 With American and . . . — Map (db m31843) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Lake Havasu City — London Bridge
On Arizona Route 95 south of McCulloch Blvd. N when traveling south.
Opened By The Right Honorable The Lord Mayor Of London Alderman Sir Peter Studd G.B.E.M.A.D.Sc. In The Presence Of The Honorable Jack Williams Governor Of Arizona October 10, 1971 Robert P. McCulloch Sr          C.V. Wood Jr. . . . — Map (db m4328) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Littlefield — 121 — The Old Spanish Trail1829 - 1848
On County Highway 91 at Old Pioneer Road on County Highway 91.
The Old Spanish Trail, the main trade route between Santa Fe and Los Angeles, passed this way beginning in 1829. At the end of the Mexican-American War this portion of the route evolved into what was variously known as the Salt Lake Road, the Mormon . . . — Map (db m78535) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Holbrook — Jasper Forest
Near Jasper Forest Road, on the left when traveling west.
The petrified wood strewn in the valley below was once encased in the bluffs around you. When erosional forces removed the softer rocks, the petrified wood tumbled and accumulated on the valley floor. Once filled with fallen logs, Jasper Forest was . . . — Map (db m68871) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Holbrook — Summer Solstice Marker
Near Petrified Forest Road, on the right when traveling north.
A solstice is an astronomical event that happens twice annually as the Sun reaches its highest or lowest point in the sky. Here in the Northern Hemisphere, June 20th is usually the longest day of the year and is referred to as the summer solstice. . . . — Map (db m68888) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Show Low — "show low and you win the ranch".
On East Cooley Street at North 11th Street, on the right when traveling west on East Cooley Street.
In 1876, Corydon E. Cooley and Marion Clark, two ranchers who had both laid claim to, and eventually became partners in managing 100,000 acres of land at the northwest edge of the White Mountains determined that the land could not support two . . . — Map (db m36664) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Commemorating the Raising of the First American Flag within the Walled City of Tucson
Near West Alameda Street.
Commemorating the raising of the First American Flag within the Walled City of Tucson Dec 16, 1846 — Map (db m74174) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Exchange at the PresidioThe Mormon Battalion Enters Tucson, 16 December 1846
Near West Alameda Street.
Near this site on December 16 – 17, 1846, the U.S. 101st Infantry ("Mormon") Battalion under the command of Colonel Philip St. George Cooke peacefully occupied the Presidio San Agustin del Tucson. Organized in Council Bluffs, Iowa, to . . . — Map (db m73983) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Padre-Eusebio-Francisco-Kino, S.J.
On West Alameda Street, on the right when traveling east.
Born Segno, Italy, 1645 – Educated at Jesuit Colleges Entered society of Jesus, 1665 – His petition to be sent upon a distant and dangerous mission granted, 1678 – Began missionary labors in Lower California, April 1, 1683 . . . — Map (db m26394) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — U.S.S. Arizona 1916 - Wilber L. "Bill" Bower U of A Outstanding Achievement Awards
Near East University Boulevard.
The bell in this clock tower is one of the two original ship's bells salvaged from the battleship U.S.S. Arizona following the attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941. In 1944, Wilber L. "Bill" Bowers, UA Class of 1927, discovered the bell . . . — Map (db m31199) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Wyatt Earp Shot Frank Stilwell...
Near North Toole Avenue near East Pennington Street.
Wyatt Earp joined his four brothers in the silver-boom town of Tombstone in 1879 where brother Virgil was deputy U.S. marshal. Wyatt was a sometimes-lawman himself, and hoped to become sheriff of the newly formed Cochise County in 1881. He withdrew . . . — Map (db m28929) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Vail — The CCC WorkerCamp SP-10-A — Colossal Cave Mountain Park 1934 – 1937
Near East Old Spanish Trail.
Honoring the young men who served in the Civilian Conservation Corps here and across the nation. With shovel and hammer, trowel and chisel, they moved earth, planted trees, crafted stone, and built structures that shape our landscape and remain a . . . — Map (db m30614) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Casa Grande — In Honor of Mormon Battalion
On North Pinal Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
Who camped here Dec 20, 1846 in rout to Cal. War with Mexico. Erected By Aaronic Priesthood Mesa 3rd Ward L.D.S.C. Troop 57 Boy Scouts of America R.C. Hugh Dana Sp.• Joseph Moody S.M. • F.K. Pomeroy 1st Coun • T. Elmer Hastings Asst . . . — Map (db m27207) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Gila River — Gadsden Purchase
Near Interstate 10 at milepost 183.
The Gila River north of this site marked the international border of the United States and Mexico from 1848 to 1854. James Gadsden negotiated to purchase 38,000 sq. miles of "wild country" for $15 million in gold. Amended to $10 million for 29,640 . . . — Map (db m33689) HM
Arizona (Pinal county), Gila River — Gadsden Purchase
Near Interstate 10 at milepost 181.
The Gila River north of this site marked the international border of the United States and Mexico from 1848 to 1854. James Gadsden negotiated to purchase 38,000 sq. miles of "wild country" for $15 million in gold. Amended to $10 million for 29,640 . . . — Map (db m33692) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Globe — The Hanging TreeDedicated to Gila County Law Enforcement — Protect and Serve
On North Broad Street 0.1 miles south of Hackney Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
From a Sycamore near this spot, L.V. Grime and C.B. Hawley were lynched on Aug. 24, 1882 for the hold up – murder of Andrew Hall, Wells Fargo Packer, and Dr. S.T. Vail. The culprits had a fair hearing before JP Allen on Wednesday eve, and at 2 . . . — Map (db m34116) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Sacaton — Dedicated to Ira H. Hayes USMC
On Sacaton Road (Arizona Route 87) at Sacaton-Casa Blanca Road, on the right when traveling east on Sacaton Road.
Dedicated to Ira H. Hayes USMC February 23rd 1992 by the Memorial Committee Lance Lewis Director, Shirley Lewis Coordinator JR Currea Artist In Country Vietnam Veterans Post 2 Tempe Arizona Ira H. Hayes American . . . — Map (db m32845) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Superior — US 60 History Trail
On U.S. 60 at milepost 226.3, on the left when traveling east.
This historical trail began in 1997 when Broken Hill Proprietary Company Limited ( BHP ) donated local mining artifacts from the 120 year old magma mine to the Superior Historical Society, Inc. due to their age and size, it was determined that these . . . — Map (db m67494) HM
Arizona (Santa Cruz County), Madera Canyon — Boy Scout Memorial
Near Madera Canyon Road.
Troop 301 and Venture Crew 301 cautions you to Be Prepared before you hike to the summit. In memory of the 50th anniversary of the Boy Scouts lost on November 15, 1958 David Greenberg – 12 years old Mike . . . — Map (db m73898) HM
Arizona (Santa Cruz County), Patagonia — John Ward's Ranch
On Patagonia Highway (Arizona Route 82 at milepost 16), on the left when traveling west.
Arizona Pioneer Johnny Ward established a ranch here in 1858. In 1861 Indians kidnapped his Mexican stepson Felix Ward. Army officers assumed that local eastern Chiracahua Apaches were responsible, leading to the infamous conflict between Lt. Bascom . . . — Map (db m24436) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Prescott
On S. Montezuma Street (Arizona Route 89) near W. Gurley St and S. Montezuma St., on the left when traveling south.
Prescott, Yavapai County Seat, founded 1864 on Granite Creek, source of Placer gold. Named for William Hickling Prescott, Historian, first Gov. JN. N. Goodwin, Appointee of Abraham Lincoln. Established first territorial capital of Arizona here. At . . . — Map (db m18805) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Prescott's Beginnings: The First Mining District in Yavapai County
On South Montezuma Street (Arizona Route 89), on the right when traveling west.
The City of Prescott had its beginnings in the Spring of 1863 when a party of explorers and would-be gold miners led by the famed Joseph R. Walker arrived near the headwaters of the Hassayampa River. On May 10, 1863, at a location some six miles . . . — Map (db m20623) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — The Fire of 1900
On South Montezuma Street (Arizona Route 89) at West Goodwin Street, on the right when traveling south on South Montezuma Street.
A disastrous fire on the night of July 14, 1900 changed the face of downtown Prescott. Starting in a room in the Scopel Hotel on the southwest corner of Goodwin and Montezuma Streets, the fire quickly hopped across Goodwin Street and proceeded to . . . — Map (db m20811) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Seligman — Beale Wagon RoadSeligman, Arizona
On Chino Street (Arizona Route 66) at Main Street, on the right when traveling east on Chino Street.
From 1857 to 1860 Lt. Edward F. Beale and a crew of 100 men built the first federal highway in the southwest. The 1857 Beale Expedition used 22 camels and dromedaries for pack animals. This road went from Fort Smith, Arkansas to Los Angeles, . . . — Map (db m32206) HM
Arizona (Yuma County), Dateland — Boeing B-50A The "Long Ranger"
On Ave 64E near U.S. 8, on the left when traveling south.
On the morning of March 23, 1950, an Air Force B-50 Bomber on a routine training mission, exploded and crashed north of the communities of Dateland and Hyder AZ. Two of the 14 crewman on board, Capt. John H. Lee and 1st. Lt. William T. Gentry, . . . — Map (db m28936) HM
Arizona (Yuma County), Yuma — Robert G. Fowler1883 – 1966
On South 4th Avenue south of West 1st Street, on the right when traveling north.
On October 25, 1911, pioneer aviator Robert Grant Fowler touched down on this site, becoming the first person to land an airplane in Arizona under its own power. A native Californian, he had departed Los Angles October 19, and completed aviation . . . — Map (db m29018) HM
Arizona (Yuma County), Yuma — Robert G. Fowler
On 4th Avenue (Business Interstate 8), on the right when traveling north.
. . . — Map (db m29046) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Arkansas Post National Memorial — 38,000 Reasons to Fight
Near Old Post Road 0.4 miles south of State Route 169.
Half the Yankees in the West [were coming]. Confederate scout I expected Mary would be a widow before I got 10 rods [55 yards]. . . . — Map (db m107858) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — The Years Between

The periods from the end of World War I to 1929 could be accurately described as 'boom to bust'. Great new technologies such as the family automobile, talking pictures, radio, and commercial air service were being woven into American lives. . . . — Map (db m91952) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Garfield — Pea Ridge and the Trail of TearsTrail of Tears National Historic Trail — National Trails System
On Military Park Road (County Road 65), on the left when traveling south.
"Decr 23rd 1837, Buried Rainfrogs daughter. Marched at 8 o'c A.M. halted at Reddix, 3 o'c. P.M. encamped and issued corn & fodder & beef, 16 miles today. -B.B. Cannon, Detachment Leader Not Far to Go Here, members of William . . . — Map (db m21085) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Rogers — War Eagle Mills Farm
On War Eagle Road, on the right when traveling east.
The Ozark Arts and Crafts Fair was founded on War Eagle Mills Farm by Lester and Blanche Elliott and friends in October 1954 for the purpose of giving recognition to Ozark artists and craftsmen who work with their hands and hearts to preserve the . . . — Map (db m52066) HM
Arkansas (Chicot County), Lake Village — Colonel Charles A. Lindbergh
On North Lakeshore Drive 0.8 miles south of Club Drive, on the right when traveling south.
In April 1923 Lindbergh, then an unknown 21-year-old mail pilot, experienced engine trouble and landed his airplane on the now-abandoned golf course behind this site of the old Lake Village County Club. He remained in Lake Village overnight. During . . . — Map (db m89779) HM
Arkansas (Cleveland County), New Edinburg — The Battle of Marks' Mill
On Arkansas Route 8 at Arkansas Route 97, on the left when traveling south on State Route 8.
Front Fought here on April 25, 1864 was a complete Confederate victory General James F. Fagan's Division of Confederate cavalry surprised and captured a Union supply train of 2000 men and 240 wagonloads of supplies. General . . . — Map (db m121310) HM WM
Arkansas (Crawford County), Van Buren — First Three U.S. Deaths in WWI
Near Main Street at South 4th Street.
In memory of Merle D. Hay Thomas Enwright James B. Gresham They were the first members of the Expeditionary Army of the United States in France to die that we might live stricken on the field of glory, November 3, . . . — Map (db m96633) WM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Rhodes StorefrontsCirca 1925 — Courthouse Square Walking Trail
On Court Street north of East Military Road, on the left when traveling north.
One of the city's biggest fires occurred in the early 1900's when a series of businesses in frame buildings on the east side of Court Street were destroyed by fire. Volunteer firefighters brought water from Harvard yards by train to help . . . — Map (db m116545) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — The Loss of the Sultana
Near Arkansas Route 77 north of Military Road, on the right when traveling south.
Early on April 27, 1865, the overcrowded steamboat Sultana exploded on the Mississippi River near Marion, Arkansas. The vast majority of the Sultana's passengers, believed to number over 2000, were Federal soldiers, recently released . . . — Map (db m116356) HM
Arkansas (Faulkner County), Conway — "Trail of Tears"
Near State Highway 319 0.1 miles west of Cadron Settlement Lane.
After Congress passed the Indian Removal Act, May 28, 1830, the Government forceably relocated about 60,000 Indians from the southeastern U.S. to what is now Oklahoma. This included the five (5) civilized tribes Cherokee, Chickasaw, Creek, Choctaw, . . . — Map (db m97912) HM
Arkansas (Johnson County), Clarksville — 103 — Clarksville in the Civil War / Depredations
On West Main Street (U.S. 64) at South Fulton Street, on the right when traveling east on West Main Street.
Side 1 Clarksville in the Civil War Clarksville was a key point in the defense of the Arkansas River Valley during the Civil War. Confederate troops occupied the town several times before Union forces took Little Rock . . . — Map (db m96447) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — A Short Lived Confederate Victory
Near Yorkshire Drive 0.1 miles east of Audubon Drive when traveling east.
The Confederates Take Battery C "Both brigades moved forward on the instant, rapidly, steadily unflinchingly, and in perfect order under a storm of Minie balls, grape, and canister, which poured upon them not only . . . — Map (db m107958) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — A Terrific Fire From Graveyard Hill
Near Yorkshire Drive 0.1 miles east of Audubon Drive when traveling east.
You are facing Battery D. One half-mile southeast of here, it was the closest of the fortifications on Crowley's Ridge to Battery C. During the Battle of Helena, Union troops at these batteries aided each other with artillery fire. Map (db m107950) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — Freedom in Helena!
Near Biscoe Street at Little Rock Road.
The Emancipation Proclamation "...all persons held as slaves within any State or designated part of a State, the people whereof shall then be in rebellion against the United States, shall be then, thenceforward, . . . — Map (db m107885) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — Phillips County, Arkansas
On Cherry Street.
Phillips County lies in what is known as the Mississippi alluvial plain, also called The Delta. The earliest known inhabitants were native Indians, noted for building large earthen mounds for ceremonial purposes and to bury their chiefs. By the . . . — Map (db m51929) HM
Arkansas (Pope County), Russellville — 101 — Pope County in the Civil War / Pope County Militia War
Near Lake Front Drive 0.2 miles west of River Lane.
Pope County in the Civil War Pope County soldiers served in at least 10 companies that were raised for Confederate service during the Civil War, fighting in battles east of the Mississippi River and in Arkansas. Two companies were . . . — Map (db m119957) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — 118 — Marmaduke-Walker Duel
On South First Street (Arkansas Route 161) at Lakeshore Drive, on the right when traveling south on South First Street.
Following the Aug. 27, 1863, battle at Bayou Meto, Confederate Gen. John Marmaduke asked to be removed from under Gen. Lucius M. Walker’s command. The two generals were at odds over actions at Helena and Brownsville earlier in 1863. Marmaduke’s . . . — Map (db m116265) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — The Trail of Tears through JacksonvilleTrail of Tears National Historic Trail — National Trails System
Near East Trickey Lane at Military Road.
"The route which the Choctaws and Chickasaws will travel, in emigrating to their new homes, is not yet, we believe, fully determined on; but it is quite probable that a large proportion of them will cross the Mississippi at Helena, and White . . . — Map (db m116572) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — They Passed This WayTrail of Tears National Historic Trail — National Trails System
Near East Trickey Lane at Military Road.
"Long time we travel on way to new land.... Womens cry.... Children cry and men cry...but they say nothing and just put heads down and keep on go towards West. Many days pass and people die very much." -Recollection of a . . . — Map (db m116602) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Roosevelt Visits Little Rock
Near East 9th Street.
On October 25, 1905, Theodore Roosevelt became only the second sitting president to visit our state. His visit was a key stop on a southern tour following the election of 1904 in which he was elected easily but failed to win any states of the former . . . — Map (db m116375) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — The First Human Dissection in Arkansas
On McMath Avenue at East 11th Street, on the right when traveling south on McMath Avenue.
Front The first human dissection in Arkansas was made on this spot in November 1874 by James H. Lenow M.D. Little Rock and Richard S. Vickery M.D. U.S. Army Rear Erected by the Arkansas Medical Society to perpetuate the . . . — Map (db m116362) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Executions at Fort Smith
On Parker Avenue, on the left when traveling north.
During the twenty-four years the federal executions took place in Fort Smith, eighty-seven men died on the gallows. While Judge Isaac C. Parker sat on the bench, 160 people, including four women, were sentenced to hang. Just over half received a . . . — Map (db m59023) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Old Federal Building
On Parker Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
The old part of this building was the Barracks of the Fort, 1840-1871; Federal Court and Jail, 1872-1887; presided over by Judge I.C. Parker, 1875-1887. Erected as a public service by The Noon Civics Club — Map (db m57922) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — W.J. Murphy - Eads Brothers Building in 1903
On Garrison Avenue (U.S. 64), on the left when traveling west.
The first mention of this property is from 1838 when it was part of the brickyard that manufactured bricks to build the second Fort Smith. In 1877 the City Hotel was built here. In 1897, identical buildings were constructed to house the W.J. Murphy . . . — Map (db m57917) HM
Arkansas (Union County), El Dorado — Oil in Arkansas — The Discovery
Near South Jefferson Avenue at East Cedar Street, on the right when traveling south.
On January 10th, 1921, shortly after 4:00 P.M., on a cold January day, a deafening roar from a drilling rig one mile west of El Dorado announced the discovery of oil in Arkansas. Dr. Samuel Busey brought in the Armstrong #1 as an earthshaking, . . . — Map (db m121350) HM
Arkansas (Union County), El Dorado — The Gunfight on El Dorado's Courthouse Square, Oct. 9, 1902
On North Jefferson Avenue north of East Main Street, on the right when traveling north.
• Marshal Guy Tucker (1) argues with Walter (2) and Tom (3) Parnell at east gate of courthouse fence. Tucker draws pistol and covers them. • Jim Parnell (4) approaches fence and Tucker warns him not to get behind him. • Harrison Dearing (5) . . . — Map (db m121343) HM
Arkansas (Union County), El Dorado — The Gunfight on the SquareHistoric Union Square — October 9, 1902 4:30 p.m.
On North Jefferson Avenue north of East Main Street, on the right when traveling north.
Marshal Guy B. Tucker, Constable Harrison Dearing, and other supporters, faced the four Parnell Brothers, Jim, Mat, Tom, and Walter. Killed Constable Harrison Dearing. Killed Walter Parnell. Killed Tom Parnell. Wounded Dr. Robert . . . — Map (db m121342) HM
California (Alameda County), Alameda — 968 — Pan Am China Clipper
On West Mall Square.
Pan American World Airways fabled China Clipper (Martin M/130 Flying Boat) left Alameda Marina on November 22, 1935 under the command of Captain Edwin G. Musick. The flight would reach Manila via Honolulu, Midway, Wake, and Guam. The inauguration of . . . — Map (db m100565) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — “A People’s History of Telegraph Avenue”
On Haste Street at Telegraph Avenue on Haste Street.
Mural designed by Osha Newmann, painted with O’Brien Thiele, Janet Kranzberg, Daniel Galvez and many others Painted in 1976 Restored and enlarged in 1999 City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1990 The mural on this wall was painted . . . — Map (db m54696) HM
California (Alameda County), Hayward — Juan Bautista de Anza Expedition Campsite #98
On Foothill Boulevard (U.S. 238) at City Center Drive, on the right when traveling north on Foothill Boulevard. Reported missing.
Lt. Colonel Juan Bautista de Anza by decree of Carlos III of Spain led an expedition to this site – The mission being to colonize the San Francisco Bay Area In the center of the marker is a circular motif, designed by Doris Birkland . . . — Map (db m28815) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — Livermore Flagpole
On South Livermore Avenue at First Street, on the left when traveling north on South Livermore Avenue.
A flagpole has anchored this site since 1905. On July 4, 2005, the citizens of this community dedicated a new flagpole. Sixty feet of the original flagpole stand in nearby Carnegie Park. Both symbolize the strength of our nation and its people. . . . — Map (db m17872) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — Tolliver Airship
On Terminal Circle, on the left when traveling west.
Eight miles southwest of this location, in the Spring of 1904, Charles Tolliver built an airship. With an aluminum superstructure covered with 6,000 yards of rongee silk, the craft was to be 250 feet long, 40 feet wide and 44 feet high. Four . . . — Map (db m19968) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Pony Express Ferry "Oakland"
Near Water Street at Broadway Street.
Dedicated April 23, 1999 Jack London Square By Port of Oakland, William Campbell Family, Dreyers Grand Ice Cream, Alameda/Oakland Ferry Service, Waterfront Plaza Hotel & Jacks, Sportsman's Hall - Pollock Pines Pony Express Home . . . — Map (db m19017) HM
California (Alameda County), Pleasanton — Gold CreekThe Great Gold Discovery of 1871
Near Pleasant Hill Road at Chestnut Way.
On Feb. 8, 1871 two men, the names of Neal F. Taylor and Timothy Cox, were looking for coal in the area and found more than they were looking for. On this creek which comes down through the then Dougherty Ranch the two men found a gold nugget. They . . . — Map (db m69728) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — San Leandro – Cherry Festivals
On West Estudillo Avenue at Clarke Street, on the right when traveling west on West Estudillo Avenue.
West side of marker: San Leandro’s farmers expected a bumper crop of cherries in 1909. Why not celebrate and promote the city and one of its wonderful crops? The first cherry festival took place that spring. The Oakland . . . — Map (db m26458) HM
California (Alameda County), Union City — 768 — Site of the Nation’s First Successful Beet Sugar Factory
On Dyer Street at Ratekin Drive, on the right when traveling west on Dyer Street.
The factory was built in 1870 by E. H. Dyer, “Father of the American Beet Sugar Industry.” Located on a corner of Dyer’s farm, the small factory began processing sugarbeets on November 15, 1870, and produced 293 tons of sugar during its . . . — Map (db m100556) HM
California (Alpine County), Kirkwood — Snowshoe Thom(p)son(John Tostensen) — A True Pioneer
On Carson Pass Scenic Byway (State Highway 88), on the right when traveling east.
“…there ought to be a shaft raised to Snow-Shoe Thompson: Not of marble; Not carved and not planted in the valley, but a rough shaft of basalt or of granite, massive and tall, with top ending roughly as if broken short, to represent a life . . . — Map (db m12028) HM
California (Alpine County), Markleeville — 318 — Ebbetts PassHistorical Landmark
On Ebbetts Pass Scenic Byway (State Highway 4), on the left when traveling east.
Named after Major John Ebbett and pointed out in 1853 to surveyor G.H. Goodard who referred to it as a “route of great promise – probably the best one for a transcontinental railway.” No emigrant train used this route but a . . . — Map (db m11444) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — - Jackson -The Jumping Seat of Calaveras County
Near Main Street near Court Street, on the right when traveling south.
Judge Smith proclaimed Jackson the Seat of Justice after Clerk Collier canvassed the votes of the May 1851 election in which 1224 votes were cast for Moquelumne Hill and 1014 for Jackson. An armed party from Moquelumne Hill pursued Judge Smith to . . . — Map (db m27499) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Archimandrite Sebastian Dabovich
On North Main Street, on the right when traveling north.
Very Reverend Archimandrite Sebastian Dabovich The First Administrator of the Serbian Church In America – Born in San Francisco on June 21, 1863 – Died November 30, 1940 in the Monastery of Zitcha at the Age of Seventy-Seven. — Map (db m13966) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — In Memoriam: The '49ers
On Court Street at Summit Street on Court Street.
They traveled here from family hearths throughout the world to mine Sierra’s treasures from the Golden Mother Lode. O’er claims where stood raw shacks and sailcloth tents the woodsmoke curled, while pick and shovel, pan and sluice marked where . . . — Map (db m42497) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Labor Day Celebration
On Main Street at California Highway 49, on the right when traveling east on Main Street.
On this site in 1905, a double jack drilling contest took place. A 31 ½ inch hole was drilled in this granite in 15 minutes. The contest was won by Matt Thomas & Pete Vasilovich. — Map (db m10777) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 34 — Pioneer Hall
On Main Street near Court Street, on the right when traveling south.
The Order or Native Daughters of the Golden West was organized on these premises The site of the Pioneer Hall on September 1, 1886. This tablet is placed In memory of the founding of the order by Ursula Parlor No. 1, . . . — Map (db m28039) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — NR07000507 — William J. Paugh House
On Center Street near State Highway 88, on the right when traveling north.
The William J. Paugh House, also known as Rosewall, is a very pure example of a Gothic Revival House. The style was most popular during the 1840's and 1850's. It was built in the late 1850's by Charles L. Parish, artist, architect and builder. . . . — Map (db m28067) HM
California (Amador County), Martell — To The Memory of Mike ToveyWells Fargo Messenger
On State Highway 88/104 1.6 miles west of Ridge Road (State Highway 104), on the left when traveling west.
Michael (“Mike”) Tovey, Wells Fargo Messenger was killed and DeWitt Clinton Radcliff, stage driver injured on this spot, June 15, 1893, by a lone bandit who attempted to hold up the regular six-horse stage on the old Ione - Jackson Stage . . . — Map (db m41555) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — 1854 · Amador County · 1954
On Sutter Hill Road at Eureka Road, on the right when traveling west on Sutter Hill Road.
Amador County, carved from Calaveras and El Dorado, was organized July 3, 1854, at the crossroads of Sutter Hill. Act of Legislature, May 11, 1854, set June 17, 1854, as election date for people to vote on such a division, and appointed five . . . — Map (db m11222) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Central Eureka Mine
On Sutter Hill Road at Old Ridge Road when traveling east on Sutter Hill Road.
Was begun here in the early 1850’s as the Badger and later the Summit Mine. It consolidated with Hayward’s old Eureka Mine in 1924 as the Central Eureka Company, Amador Consolidated Mines. The main shaft reached a depth of 4,965’. It was the last of . . . — Map (db m13084) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — In Memory of General John A. SutterBenefactor of the Great State of — California
On Main Street (State Highway 49), on the right when traveling north.
Who mined here and gave Sutter Creek its name and under whose regime gold was discovered. Also to those pioneer mothers, fathers and miners of the Mother Lode, which has produced millions is gold. This rock used in Mother Lode Champion hand . . . — Map (db m13407) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Leland Stanford, Jr.1824 – 1893
On Gopher Flat Road, on the left when traveling east on Gopher Flat Road.
A man of tremendous ambition, Leland Stanford, Sr., was one of California’s most distinguished businessmen, politicians, philanthropists, and proponents of education. Lured to California by the Gold Rush in 1852, he became an owner of Sutter Creek’s . . . — Map (db m12610) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Mahoney Mine
Near Gopher Flat Road.
. . . — Map (db m12606) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Wildman MinePowder House
Near Gopher Flat Road.
Founded by William T. Wildman in 1851. Merged with Mahoney Mine and reached a depth of 1500 feet. Combined mines operated a 70 stamp mill and produced a total of $5 million in old by 1924. Powder house used to store explosives. Became part of . . . — Map (db m12598) HM
California (Amador County), Volcano — Soldier Gulch
On Main Street at Consolation Street, on the left when traveling north on Main Street.
This plaque is in commemoration of two soldiers of a party from Stevenson’s New York Regiment who discovered Volcano Valley in late 1848 and camped here in Soldier Gulch through a hard winter. Their bodies were discovered in the spring and buried . . . — Map (db m11364) HM
California (Amador County), Volcano — Volcano
On Main Street at Consolation Street, on the left when traveling north on Main Street.
Discovered in 1848 by Colonel Stevenson’s men who mined Soldiers’ Gulch in ’49. First covered wagon party sluiced rich gravel beds. By ’53, men swarmed flats and gulches naming them picturesquely. Hydraulic operations, begun in ’55, brought . . . — Map (db m11365) HM
California (Butte County), Magalia — 771 — The Dogtown Nugget
On Old Skyway Road 0.3 miles north of Pentz-Magalia Road, on the right when traveling east.
This marker symbolizes the discovery of the first large gold nugget in California. It was found across this canyon in Willard Gulch April 12, 1859. Weight 54 pounds. — Map (db m29663) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — 287 — Angels CampHome of the Jumping Frog — Romance - Gold - History
On Main Street (State Highway 49) at State Highway 4, on the right when traveling south on Main Street.
Founded in 1849 by George Angel, who established a mining camp and trading store 200 feet below this marker. A rich gravel mining area and one of the richest quartz mining sections of the Mother Lode. Production records of over $100 million for . . . — Map (db m14460) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — Mark Twain
Near Main Street (State Highway 49).
. . . — Map (db m13006) HM
California (Calaveras County), Copperopolis — Black Bart at Funk HillCopperopolis
Near Main Street, on the left when traveling south.
July 1875, at Funk Hill 4 miles due east Black Bart, alias Charles E. Bolton or Boles, wearing a flour sack mask and a linen duster, waving a double-barrelled shot gun held up the Wells Fargo Sonora to Milton Stage. The first successful stage . . . — Map (db m70090) HM
California (Calaveras County), Copperopolis — 296 — CopperopolisState Registered Landmark No.296
On Main Street, on the left when traveling south.
Copper here discovered by W. K. Reed and Thomas McCarty in 1860. Mines utilized during the Civil War and the First and Second World Wars. During Civil War period was the principal copper producing section of the United States. — Map (db m13002) HM
California (Calaveras County), Copperopolis — 281 — O'Bryne Ferry
On O'Byrne Ferry Road (State Highway 49), on the right when traveling south.
In 1852 a chain cable bridge replaced the ferries that once crossed here, to be supplanted in its turn by a covered truss structure in 1862. Some writers claimed this was the locale of Bret Harte's Poker Flat. In late “49” there was a . . . — Map (db m13013) HM
California (Calaveras County), Mokelumne Hill — 265 — Chili Gulch
On State Highway 49, on the right when traveling north.
Richest placer mining section, extending five miles, in Calaveras County. Received name from Chileans who worked gulch in 1848 and 1849, and scene of the so-called Chilean War. Largest known quartz crystals recovered from mine on south side of gulch. — Map (db m11515) HM
California (Calaveras County), San Andreas — Attempted Stage Robbery
On Mountain Ranch Road at Rocky Road, on the right when traveling east on Mountain Ranch Road.
At this place, April 30th 1892, without warning, a lone bandit fired two charges of buckshot into the stage carrying the payroll for the Sheepranch Mine. Miss Johanna Rodesino, a passenger, was instantly killed. Babe Raggio, driver, was severely . . . — Map (db m11683) HM
California (Calaveras County), San Andreas — Pioneer Cemetery
Near State Highway 12.
California Pioneers Reinterred From Poverty Bar Cemetery [Left Column] Mr. and Mrs. Calhoun Elva Lucy Drennan Mr. Hussky [Right Column] John Laplasse Christian Kientz Henry Christian Kientz ---Were . . . — Map (db m13020) HM
California (Calaveras County), Valley Springs — 295 — Paloma (Fosteria)
On Paloma Road at Edster Street, on the right when traveling south on Paloma Road.
Gwin Mine, Paloma, and Lower Rich Gulch were mined for placer in 1849. Quartz was discovered by J. Alexander in 1851. Property acquired by Wm. M. Gwin, California's first U.S. Senator, in 1851. The Gwin Mine closed, in 1908, yielded millions. — Map (db m14449) HM
California (Calaveras County), West Point — HOSTAGE: A most painful experience of human suffering444 Days - "Free at Last"
On Winton Road near California Route 26, on the right when traveling east.
All Americans have a partnership in the "ROCK" at West Point, California. ...It's purpose is to demonstrate the solidarity of the American people in their heartfelt concern and compassion for the 53 fellow Americans taken from the U.S. Embassy . . . — Map (db m91729) HM WM
California (Colusa County), Grimes — COL-001 — Grand Island Shrine
On California Route 45 0.3 miles south of Buster Road, on the right when traveling south.
Site of the first Catholic mass to be said in Colusa County, May 1856. In 1864, a Catholic mission was conducted and a large wooden cross erected to commemorate the occasion. Masses, pilgrimages and visits were made here continuously thereafter. In . . . — Map (db m6144) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — Birthplace of The Martini
On Alhambra Avenue at Masonic Street, on the right when traveling north on Alhambra Avenue.
On this site in 1874, Julio Richelieu, bartender, served up the first martini when a miner came into his saloon with a fistful of nuggets and asked for something special. He was served a "Martinez Special." After three or four drinks, however, the . . . — Map (db m57975) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — Morgan House
On Main Street at Ferry Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street.
Dedicated April 23, 2000 Morgan House Pony Express Route Apr. 23, 1860 - Sep. 8, 1861 Home Station Apr. 16, 1869 - Sep.8, 1861 By James Stretesky Supervisor Gayle B. Uilkema Martinez Area Chamber of Commerce Pony Express Trail . . . — Map (db m24369) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — Pony Express Ferry "Carquinez"
On Ferry Street near Marina Vista Avenue, on the left when traveling north.
Dedicated April 23, 2005 Martinez By James Stretestky · Julian M. Frazer · Martinez Historical Society · Mayor Rob & Carole Schroder · Supervisor Gayle B. Uilkema · Vice Mayor Mark & Dianne Ross · Tesoro's Golden Eagle Refinery · . . . — Map (db m19224) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — 103 — Liberty Bell ReplicaLiberty Bell Plaza 1976
On Mt. Diablo Boulevard at North Broadway Street on Mt. Diablo Boulevard.
During the U.S. Bicentennial, President Gerald R. Ford dedicated a replica of the Liberty Bell as a war memorial. The bell was donated by the local Soroptimist International chapter. Liberty Bell Plaza covers the confluence of the two creeks that . . . — Map (db m91565) HM WM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — “Gold Boys Gold”
Near Highway 49.
On January 24, 1848, James Marshall set off early and alone to inspect progress in deepening the ditch that channeled water from the sawmill back to the river. Suddenly, he bent over and picked up a few particles gleaming in the icy water. . . . — Map (db m17241) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Cabin of James Marshall
On Marshall Park Way, on the left when traveling north.
This cabin was erected by Marshall and occupied by him from 1856 : 1870. Born in New Jersey October 8, 1810. Came to California in 1845 – Died at Kelsey, this state, August 10, 1885. The discovery of gold by Marshall in the tailrace of John A. . . . — Map (db m12215) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Chinese Miners of the Mother Lode
Near State Highway 49.
Following the California Gold Rush of ’49, swarms of Chinese miners came to make their mark on the diggings in the Mother Lode, including this Coloma Valley. They were industrious and self-contained and mostly content to thoroughly comb the old . . . — Map (db m12225) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Chinese Stores
Near State Highway 49.
These two stone buildings known as the Wah Hop and Man Lee Stores were built by Jonas Wilder before 1860and leased to Chinese merchants. Located at the edge of a large Chinese community, they sold traditional foods, clothing and other items. Such . . . — Map (db m12227) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — ColomaAn Artists View
On State Highway 49, on the left when traveling south.
”The principle street of Coloma was alive with crowds of moving men, passing and repassing, laughing, talking, and all appearing in the best of humor. It was a scene that no other country could ever imitate.” from “A . . . — Map (db m12274) HM

3253 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 3053
Paid Advertisement