Born and educated in England, Toulmin became a Unitarian Minister and fled persecution in 1793. In the U.S. he served as President of Transylvania University and Secretary of the State of Kentucky. In 1804 Thomas Jefferson appointed him as the first . . . — — Map (db m100850) HM
The Charles Swift Family
Charles Swift came to Alabama in 1880 and married Susan Roberts in 1885. He developed a successful lumber business, including a sawmill here on the Bon Secour River. The Swifts raised their eleven children in this . . . — — Map (db m122465) HM
Standing on a low limb of a giant oak tree near here, General Andrew Jackson made a pep talk to his troops, fresh from their victory at the Battle of Horse Shoe Bend and poised before advancing on the British and Spanish at Pensacola, and the . . . — — Map (db m100852) HM
(Obverse): First Alabama soldier to lose life in Civil War.
DeVotie graduated in 1856 from University of Alabama; Presbyterian Theological Seminary at Princeton in 1859. In 1856 at the University of Alabama, he was chief founder of Sigma . . . — — Map (db m4219) HM
Romar Beach began as a large homestead property with
three miles of beachfront spanning from Gulf State Park
to Hwy 161 in Orange Beach. The original property now
covers only 480 feet. It was a true homestead and the
owners were required to . . . — — Map (db m122463) HM
Located on this bluff overlooking Minette Bay, Battery No. 21 anchored the right flank of Maj. Gen. Edward Canby's Army of West Mississippi during the Battle of Spanish Fort. Maj. Gen. Andrew Smith's XVI Army Corps occupied the . . . — — Map (db m120339) HM
William Bartram, America’s first native born artist - naturalist, passed through Baldwin County during the Revolutionary era, making the first scientific notations of its flora, fauna and inhabitants. As the appointed botanist of Britain’s King . . . — — Map (db m81855) HM
Here on the banks of the Tensaw River -- named for the Tensa Indian tribe whose principal village was located at this place -- Major Robert Farmar developed a plantation c. 1772. Farmar was one of the most prominent and controversial Alabamians of . . . — — Map (db m66380) HM
Front Interred on this gently sloping hillside are the remains of many of Eufaula’s early black citizens. Their names are known only to God because the wooden grave markers which located the burials have long since vanished. This burying . . . — — Map (db m27987) HM
William Thomas "Tom" Mann
Family man, entrepreneur and bass angler legend, Tom Mann, achieved fame as a fishing lure designer/manufacturer and helped put Lake Eufaula on the map with his popular television shows. With an . . . — — Map (db m113682) HM
Absalom Pratt built this house 8 miles west of here circa 1835 though a section was constructed earlier. It was moved to this site in 1994 by the Cahaba Trace Commission, restored by the Alabama Historic Ironworks Commission, 1997-98, and dedicated . . . — — Map (db m37078) HM
At this site, on Nov. 3, 1813, after the Battle of
Tallasehatchee, known then as Talluschatches,
during the Creek Indian War,
Gen. Andrew Jackson found a dead
Creek Indian woman embracing her living
infant son. Gen. Jackson, upon hearing that . . . — — Map (db m36551) HM
Outstanding local industrialist as President, Kilby Steel Company; Chairman, Board of Directors, Alabama Pipe Company; President, City National and Anniston National Banks. Served as Mayor of Anniston (1905-09); State Senator (1911-15); Lieutenant . . . — — Map (db m35758) HM
In 1904, 18 year old Tyrus Raymond Cobb lived in a boarding house on this site while playing minor league baseball for the Anniston Steelers. From nearby Scarbrough Drug Store on Noble Street he wrote letters, using fictitious names, to sports . . . — — Map (db m106606) HM
Dean of American College Presidents
President of Jacksonville State Normal-State Teachers College 1899-1942
During an Educational Renascence in the South he was in the forefront of the Alabama Educational System
President 1st National Bank . . . — — Map (db m29922) HM
Jacob Forney III lived and operated a thriving mercantile establishment at Jacksonville from 1835-56 on the south-east corner of the square. He and his wife Sabina Swope Hoke were the parents of nine children.
1. Daniel Peter - b. Feb. 24, 1819, . . . — — Map (db m36450) HM
Lawyer, Soldier, Senator
← Lived here in 1838
1862-63 Colonel of
51st Alabama Cavalry
Raised by him in this county
1863-65 Brigadier General C.S.A.
with Wheeler’s Cavalry
1876-1907 United States Senator
Distinguished . . . — — Map (db m36468) HM
Lawyer, Industrialist, Patriot
Brigadier General, U.S.A.
Gen. Burke helped rebuild
Alabama’s mining & manufacturing
interests after the Civil War.
He helped establish the Catholic
Church at Jacksonville.
His home, . . . — — Map (db m36424) HM
James G. Ryals, Jr. 1883-1885
J. Harris Chappell 1885-1886
Carleton B. Gibson 1886-1892
J. B. Jarrett 1892-1893
Jacob Forney, IV 1893-1899
Clarence William Daugette 1899-1942
Houston Cole 1942-1971
Ernest Stone 1971-1981
Theron E. . . . — — Map (db m36427) HM
Since 1890 the financial interests of this area have been served by The First National Bank and its predecessor The Tredagar National Bank (an institution of the "Boom" days of Jacksonville)
Organizers were Peyton Rowan, President, Jos. . . . — — Map (db m29480) HM
Brigadier General C.S.A.
With Army of Virginia 1861-1865.
Wounded in battle five times.
He was one of four distinguished sons
of Jacob Forney and Sabina Swope Hoke
of Jacksonville who held commissions
in the Confederate Army.
. . . — — Map (db m36480) HM
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid
As sheriff of Lincoln County, Pat Garrett was charged with tracking down and arresting Billy the Kid, a friend from Garrett's saloon keeping days in Fort Sumner, New Mexico. He was captured . . . — — Map (db m83262) HM
Chambers County, created December 18, 1832 from Creek Indian cession. Named for Dr. Henry C. Chambers of Madison County, member of Constitutional Convention 1819, legislature of 1820, elected U.S. Senator 1825 but died enroute to Washington.
. . . — — Map (db m18162) HM
Inventor of the early typewriter—the pterotye. Born in 1831, Union Dist., S.C., died in 1905, grave 2 miles west. While registered in chancery and later editor of the National Democrat near this siteabout 1860, developed his first writing . . . — — Map (db m115571) HM
David was born 4 of 12 children, served in combat in Vietnam, was wounded and is a highly decorated war veteran. David is a best selling author, a veteran advocate, and State Commander of the American Legion. He is a former college instructor and . . . — — Map (db m114742) HM
Born 1785 in Robeson County, N.C.
Came in 1818 to Monroe County, Alabama. Represented Monroe County in Alabama Constitutional Convention in 1819 and in State Legislature 1819-1822. Served as Governor of Alabama 1825-1829. Elected 1833 to Congress . . . — — Map (db m47637) HM
William Bartram, America’s first native born artist-naturalist, passed through Clarke County during the Revolutionary era, making the first scientific notations of its flora, fauna and inhabitants. As the appointed botanist of Britain’s King George . . . — — Map (db m101568) HM
February 16, 1826, November 8, 1913.
Minister, Teacher, Historian, Author.
His love of history, natural resources and mankind led him to record events, past and present, writing many of his notes on the pommel of his saddle and also walking . . . — — Map (db m83272) HM
James Elisha (Big Jim) Folsom, a resident of Elba,
Coffee County, served as the 45th and 47th
Governor of Alabama. Folsom lived in this home
from 1908 to 1910 when it was located near the
Folsom Mill Creek and Tabernacle communities.
The Folsom . . . — — Map (db m94160) HM
Joshua Marion Folsom
Eulala Dunnavant Folsom
James Elisha Folsom
October 9, 1908
46th Governor of Alabama
January 1947 — 1951
48th Governor of Alabama . . . — — Map (db m94161) HM
This monument is to memorialize Chickasaw Chief George Colbert who operated a river ferry, traveler’s stand, and had a home on this Natchez Trace site. Colbert Co. AL was named in his honor. — — Map (db m84706) HM
Muscle Shoals City was incorporated on April 24, 1923. Among the leading developers were New York realtors A.L. Howell and C.T. Graves. Their interest in Muscle Shoals was inspired by the vision of Henry Ford to use power from . . . — — Map (db m28580) HM
On Jan. 21, 1933 President-elect Franklin Delano Roosevelt addressed an immense crowd at this crossing from his railroad car and promised "to put Muscle Shoals back on the map." He then toured the idle U.S. Nitrate Plant No. 2 and Wilson Dam with . . . — — Map (db m83392) HM
Built between 1828 and 1832, Belle Mont is a foremost example of Jeffersonian Palladian Architecture in the deep south and one of Alabama's first great plantation houses.
It was build for Dr. Alexander W. Mitchell, a native of Virginia, and a . . . — — Map (db m29561) HM
Howell Thomas Heflin retired from a lifetime of distinguished public service in 1997, having served Alabama in the U.S. Senate for three consecutive terms. There he was known as a national leader on judicial, agricultural, defense, and space issues. . . . — — Map (db m28586) HM
The Family Home of Captain Arthur M. & Kate Adams Keller was build 1820, being the second house erected in Tuscumbia.
Here on June 27, 1880 was born America's First Lady of Courage
Helen Adams Keller — — Map (db m29089) HM
After the Battle of New Orleans in 1815, General Andrew Jackson proposed this road as a shorter and improved route for military movements between Nashville and New Orleans. The U.S. War Department authorized Jackson to appoint an . . . — — Map (db m83401) HM
Tuscumbia and much of the Shoals area played an integral part in the "Trail of Tears" with the Tennessee River route and the overland routes. In 1825, the U.S. Government formally adopted a removal policy, which was carried out . . . — — Map (db m83403) HM
Construction on the home which became the center building of Deshler High School was begun in 1824 by Clark T. Barton. William Winston purchased and completed the Georgian-style dwelling in 1833. The largest remaining antebellum house in Tuscumbia, . . . — — Map (db m28565) HM
Front – Side A:
The Winston family settled this area in the early 1820s. Andrew Jackson purchased the property at the U.S. government land sale and conveyed it to Col. Anthony Winston (1782-1841) who lived nearby in a two-story . . . — — Map (db m28566) HM
In Honor of Native Son
Ernest Stanley Crawford, M.D.
This pioneer surgeon, teacher and medical statesman was born May 12, 1922 in Evergreen. He worked at Conecuh Drug Company as a youngster and graduated from Evergreen High School . . . — — Map (db m81289) HM
For a few months between 1811—1818 the nationally infamous highwayman, Joseph Thompson Hare, operated with his gang along the Federal Road. They headquartered at Turk's Cave near Brooklyn in Conecuh County. In his confession he referred to the . . . — — Map (db m81282) HM
Col. John G. Cullmann
July 2, 1823 - December 3, 1895
Thrifty German Colonists led by Col. John G. Cullmann in 1873 settled this thinly populated plateau of Alabama.
This plaque and Restoration Sponsored by Cullman Federated Garden . . . — — Map (db m35629) HM
The first church in the City of Cullman was established on this block of land donated by the North and South Railroad in February 1874. Lots 154, 155, and 181 were granted to Henry Dietz, August Henning, and George Stoback as trustees of the . . . — — Map (db m33841) HM
Thrifty German colonists, led by Col. John G. Cullman, in 1873 settled this thinly populated plateau.
This section, previously thought unproductive, became famous for its diversified crops. — — Map (db m29976) HM
Constructed in c. 1900 by G. P. Dowling, the Dowling-Steagall House is a Classical Revival dwelling featuring a full-height portico with Ionic columns and an elaborate door surround. A judge and prominent businessman, G. P. Dowling organized Ozark's . . . — — Map (db m36510) HM
The original part of this building was home to one of the oldest
African American schools in Dale County. In 1949 on this site, the
new building for the Pinckard Colored School was constructed and
Mack M. Matthews became its . . . — — Map (db m115029) HM
In 1889, Samuel and Sarah Kirkpatrick moved to Selma, leaving their farm and house in the capable hands of their son Clifton (1863-1930). He turned the abandoned remains of Alabama's first capital into a showcase farm of diversified, scientific . . . — — Map (db m23005) HM
Look around you. There are hundreds
of pecan trees growing nearby. All were
planted by Clifton Kirkpatrick, a.k.a.
The Duke of Cahaba." (Note: Cahawba
lost its "w" by the late 19th century.)
In 1889 Samuel and Sarah Kirkpatrick . . . — — Map (db m112473) HM
Edmund Winston Pettus, lawyer, General C.S.A., U.S. Senator, was born Limestone County, Alabama, 1821.
Admitted to bar, 1842.
Moved to Cahaba, 1858.
Major, C.S.A., 1861.
Brigadier General, 1863.
U.S. Senator, 1897-1907.
Resided here . . . — — Map (db m38273) HM
Highlights of Selma History
Dallas County was created by Territorial Legislature Feb. 9, 1818. Selma Land Company formed Mar. 19, 1819 by George Phillips, William Rufus King, Jesse Beene, Gilbert Shearer and Caleb Tate. . . . — — Map (db m37679) HM
The demonstration that led to the most important advance in civil rights for millions of Black Americans began here March 21, 1965. It was the 50-mile march from Selma to Montgomery, Alabama, the State Capital.
Defying threats of death, Dr. . . . — — Map (db m83578) HM
Rev. James J. Reeb, an Army Veteran and Unitarian minister from Casper, Wyoming, was working in Boston when Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. appealed for clergymen of all faiths to come to Selma to protest the violence that occurred at the Edmund Pettus . . . — — Map (db m37683) HM
This was the residence of John Tyler Morgan (1824-1907), one of Alabama’s most honored political and military leaders. Constructed in 1859 by Thomas R. Wetmore, it was purchased by Morgan in 1865, and served for many years as his principal . . . — — Map (db m37676) HM
Erected by the Citizens of Selma
to Commemorate the Heroism of
Lieutenant John Tillman Melvin
United States Navy, R.F.
Born Selma, Alabama Oct. 16, 1887
Among the first to volunteer and the first American Naval officer killed in action . . . — — Map (db m37660) HM
Side A The earliest Jewish settlers came to Selma prior to the Civil War, some as early as the 1830’s. A group of Jewish citizens assembled as the Mishkan Israel Congregation and began meeting in private homes in 1867. The congregation was . . . — — Map (db m37677) HM
Edgar Cayce (1877-1945), was internationally accepted as an extremely gifted psychic. An humble man, he never profited materially from his psychic ability, but used it to help “make manifest the love of God and man.” Operated his . . . — — Map (db m83680) HM
Soldier of France
Volunteer in the cause of
Guest of the Nation
Entertained in Selma
On his way to Cahaba
Placed by the Cherokee Chapter
Daughters of the American Revolution
June 14, . . . — — Map (db m37671) HM
This Italianate style cottage was built in 1859 by C. B. and Martha Todd White. Mrs. White, half sister of Mrs. Abraham Lincoln, was an outspoken Southern patriot, who subjected the Lincolns to severe criticism, when the Northern press accused her . . . — — Map (db m38274) HM
Native Sampson County, North Carolina.
Admitted to bar, 1806.
North Carolina House of Commons 1807-1809.
U.S. Congressman 1811-16.
Secretary U.S. Legation Naples and St. Petersburg 1816-1818.
Moved to Dallas County, Alabama, 1818.
. . . — — Map (db m37654) HM
In the late '60s, cousins Randy Owen and Teddy Gentry discovered they shared a common interest in music. Joined by Jeff Cook, they started playing on a regular basis. Working their day jobs and playing any place they could locally in the evenings, . . . — — Map (db m25277) HM
— grave 300 yards —
First governor of Alabama
Only governor of Alabama Territory
Born in Amelia County, Va., Oct. 2, 1781
In U.S. Congress from Georgia 1805-1813
Moved here from Elbert County, . . . — — Map (db m71180) HM
Erected by his friends and the Escambia County Bar
Association in memory of James Edward Hart, Jr.
(1942 – 1992), who contributed much to his community, his church and his profession. He loved trains. Due to his efforts, passenger service . . . — — Map (db m39033) HM
Nichols came to Alabama City in 1894 to supervise construction of the Dwight Manufacturing Company. While serving as the mill's first agent, he planned and began a model mill village and was elected Mayor of Alabama City. — — Map (db m18578) HM
This stately Classic Revival house, built c. 1904, was the residence of Colonel Oliver Roland Hood (1867-1951), eminent Gadsden attorney and civic leader. Colonel Hood was one of the three incorporators of Alabama Power Company in 1906 and author of . . . — — Map (db m83732) HM
On Loyalty Day this 30th day of April, 1967, we do pay honor and tribute to a great American
- Paul Harvey -
a man who has contributed much toward making this nation and especially Gadsden a better place to live. We salute a true champion of . . . — — Map (db m83737) HM
This is the site of the family home of Gadsden native General William Luther Sibert who played a major role in the construction of the Panama Canal. While serving in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, he was appointed chief engineer for the Atlantic . . . — — Map (db m39253) HM
On the night of May 2nd and the morning of May 3rd, 1863, John Wisdom rode 67 miles, from Gadsden, Ala. To Rome, Ga. Under very harassing conditions, to warn the citizens of Col. A. D. Streight’s proposed march to burn and sack the city, Rome being . . . — — Map (db m41001) HM
Named for Revolutionary hero,
General Nathaniel Greene,
who drove British from Southeast.
Area explored by DeSoto, 1540.
Claimed as French Louisiana, 1699.
Ceded to England, 1763.
Ceded by Choctaw Nation, 1816.
Made a territorial . . . — — Map (db m37962) HM
Discover of the antibiotic, Aureomycin
Son of a beloved country doctor, he carried a dedicated spirit to the frontiers of science
Having won degrees at Alabama, Auburn, Missouri, Harvard and Cornell, he taught at Cornell, Missouri, . . . — — Map (db m38191) HM
Near this spot was the boyhood home of Rev. Bob Jones, (1884-1968), D.D., L.L.D., internationally known evangelist and founder of Bob Jones University. The eleventh child of W. Alexander and Georgia Creel Jones, he was three months old when the . . . — — Map (db m95353) HM
Side A Johnny Mack Brown, an outstanding athlete and western movie star, was born in Dothan on September 1, 1904. Johnny Mack was one of nine children born to John Henry and Hattie McGillivray Brown. The Brown family home was located on . . . — — Map (db m83783) HM
A mule trader for 65 years, was known throughout the nation for the slogan,"'Tolable' fair dealer". Opposite this site, on the southeast corner of East Main and Holman Streets stood one of the south's largest mule stables. Built in 1917, the 27,000 . . . — — Map (db m83784) HM
Jackson County was created by the State Legislature on December 13, 1819 while in session in Huntsville, Ala. The county was named in honor of Gen. Andrew Jackson who was visiting in Huntsville at the time.
This Statue was presented by the . . . — — Map (db m22262) HM
Planter, tavern operator, newspaper editor, legislator, and land developer, he sought in vain to have the Jackson County seat moved from Bellefont to the settlement that bore his name. After his death in 1863, his widow reached an agreement in 1868 . . . — — Map (db m22260) HM
In 1840 he published his study, History of Rise and Progress of the Baptists in Alabama.
Also an evangelist and missionary.
In 1818 moved to Alabama from Carolinas, organizing five churches in vicinity.
President of Alabama . . . — — Map (db m27025) HM
This house was built in 1906 by architect William E. Benns for H. W. Sweet at a cost of $10,000. The house uniquely blended the Queen Anne and Neo-Classical architectural styles, featuring two identical pedimented entrance porticos supported by . . . — — Map (db m27024) HM
Dedicated to the sacred memory
of the Avondale Boys of
World War II who made the Supreme
Sacrifice for Liberty and Humanity.
Thomas Nelson •
Albert W. Moore •
James A. Williams •
John L. Warner •
Wayne Daily •
Chester Smith • . . . — — Map (db m55950) HM
During the first 30 years of his 54-year-old practice, Attorney Shores practiced all over the State of Alabama - from the Tennessee line to the Gulf of Mexico at Mobile Bay, and from the Mississippi borders to the Georgia limits. During the period . . . — — Map (db m26720) HM
This building was constructed in 1908 by Louis V. Clark (1862-1934), who also built the historic Lyric Theater located nearby on 18th Street. The Clark Theater on Caldwell Park is named in honor of Mr. Clark’s generosity to the Birmingham Little . . . — — Map (db m27515) HM
This neoclassical structure was built in 1905 for James W. Donnelly, "the father of the Birmingham Library System."
Donnelly moved to Birmingham from his native Cincinnati, Ohio after retiring from Proctor and Gamble. A much respected . . . — — Map (db m26740) HM
Founded in 1886 on 600 acres of land, East Birmingham was the agricultural area consisting primarily of dairy farms extending to the present Birmingham airport. The East Birmingham Land Company that developed the area was . . . — — Map (db m83827) HM
Eddie James Kendrick, nicknamed "cornbread", was born the eldest of five children to Johnny and Lee Bell Kendrick in Union Springs, Alabama.
After attending Western-Olin High School in Ensley, Alabama, Eddie was persuaded by his childhood . . . — — Map (db m26724) HM
Emory Overton Jackson was born on September 8, 1908 in Buena Vista, Georgia to Will Burt and Lovie Jones Jackson. E. O. Jackson and his seven siblings were raised in the middle-class Birmingham enclave of Enon Ridge, located on the west side of . . . — — Map (db m64736) HM
A residential district extending from the crest of Red Mountain to the floor of Jones Valley with roads built along natural land contours. Birmingham real estate promoter and civic leader, Robert Jemison, Jr., began development as Mountain Terrace . . . — — Map (db m26983) HM
The Fraternal Hotel Building was built in 1925. Some of the businesses that were located in this building included:
1925 - 1980 Fraternal Hotel
1925 - 1970 Fraternal Café
1950 - 1966 Monroe Steak House
1985 - 1994 Grand Lodge Knights of . . . — — Map (db m27518) HM
Founded in 1898 by Robert Jemison, this 30-acre historic district is a private residential park containing an almost intact collection of some of Birmingham's finest 20th century houses. It was the first professionally landscaped residential . . . — — Map (db m27520) HM
Businesses that occupied this building between 1908 - 1970
1908 - 1913 Southern Bell Telephone Company Stockroom
1915 - 1926 OK French Dry Cleaning Company
1927 - 1938 George Kanelis Billiards
1940 - 1945 Alex’s Steak House
1946 - . . . — — Map (db m27521) HM
In Tribute to
Pauline Bray Fletcher
1878 - 1970
The First Black Registered Nurse of Alabama
Through self-sacrifice, perseverance founded in 1926 Camp Pauline Bray Fletcher.
Renewing the faith and the good health of all black . . . — — Map (db m27393) HM
Birmingham's first public school was named for Colonel James R. Powell, the city's first elected Mayor. This energetic promoter also served as the first President of the Elyton Land Company (now Birmingham Realty), which founded the city in 1871. . . . — — Map (db m83835) HM
Birmingham’s first library was organized in 1886 and in 1891 became a subscription library for the general public. In 1908 the Birmingham Public Library Association established a free public library, and the City created an independent Library Board . . . — — Map (db m83856) HM
Built in 1937 by Gen. Louis Verdier Clark from a design by architect William T. Warren as a community playhouse for cultural activities. It was recognized as one of the best of its kind in the nation. Mrs. Vassar Allen - first president, Bernard . . . — — Map (db m27513) HM
On May 10, 1919, soon after its completion, this 21st Street Viaduct was named the Rainbow Viaduct in tribute to Alabama's famous 167th Infantry of the Rainbow Division, renowned for Bravery and Honor. The 167th was the Nation's only regiment in . . . — — Map (db m83860) HM
"Tuxedo Junction" was the street car crossing on the Ensley-Fairfield line at this corner in the Tuxedo Park residential area. It also refers to the fraternal dance hall operated in the 1920's and 1930s on the second floor of the adjacent building, . . . — — Map (db m25623) HM
Mt. Zion Baptist Church began burying here in the mid-1800s. On June 2, 1970, New Grace Hill Cemetery, Inc., a subsidiary of the Booker T. Washington Insurance Company in Birmingham, purchased this cemetery and officially named it Zion Memorial . . . — — Map (db m35602) HM
Virgil Allen Howard, who was born in South Carolina in 1859, came to Alabama in 1884 seeking employment with the Alabama Waterworks. He and Ollie Grace Hogan were married on July 15, 1903 and made their first home in Gardendale on property they . . . — — Map (db m39221) HM
In the early 1900's, among the many craftsmen who migrated south to build the booming industrial cities was Swedish brick mason A. G. Hallman. Hallman moved from the Lake Michigan area and purchased an acre of farmland along the north side of Oxmoor . . . — — Map (db m26986) HM
Clyde Nelson, born in Columbiana, Alabama, was only 26 when he began development of the Town of Hollywood in 1926. With a sales force of 75 and the slogan "Out of the smoke zone, into the ozone" his beautiful community soon took shape. Homes were . . . — — Map (db m27091) HM
William M. and Evan Hale built this home on the 400 acres purchased by Gardner Hale in 1862. The Hales descended from two signers of the Mayflower compact, 1620. Purchased in 1993 by Carlo and Dianne Joseph, it was placed on the Alabama Register of . . . — — Map (db m28487) HM
The poetic lines inscribed on the boulder below is a replica of those carved in 1827 by Thomas W. Farrar.
Thomas W. Farrar was the Founder and first Grand Master of the Masonic Lodge in Alabama 1821-22-24.
This historical site donated to the . . . — — Map (db m28490) HM
This house was provided for the overseer of the 560-acre A. B. Howell Peach Orchard. William Morgan and William and Evan Hale were overseers. The house was purchased by John and Marie Taylor in 1989 and was placed on the Alabama Register of . . . — — Map (db m28494) HM
Robert Jemison, Jr. (1878-1974)
The Father of Mountain Brook
A man of great vision, dreams and enthusiasm, Robert Jemison, Jr. was by far the greatest real estate developer of Birmingham’s 20th century. The Post-Herald newspaper . . . — — Map (db m83922) HM
The Town of Trussville was named for the Truss Family who emigrated from North Carolina in the early 1820's.
Trussville was incorporated in 1947.
The present City Hall was constructed in 1959 on land patented in 1821 by Warren Truss. — — Map (db m26225) HM
Vestavia Hills Baptist Church Vestavia Hills Baptist Church, constituted May 6, 1957, first met at Vestavia Hills City Hall. The church purchased the George Ward estate in 1958. On the property was Ward’s home, “Vestavia,” a replica . . . — — Map (db m83931) HM
Farmer Confederate Soldier Legislator
Member U.S. House and Senate
Thirty Three Years
Father of Federal Aid to Good Roads
Author making Warrior
longest canalized river in the world
development of Muscle Shoals and other . . . — — Map (db m96473) HM
Jesse James Gang
Canal Payroll Robbery
In, 1881, approximately three miles south of here, the U.S. Corps of Engineers was constructing the Muscle Shoals Canal along the north side of the Tennessee River. On . . . — — Map (db m99897) HM
The notorious outlaw gang leader who boasted that no one would ever run over Tom Clark lies buried near the center of Tennessee Street where now all who pass by do run over him.
In 1872, Clark, who terrorized helpless citizens during the Civil . . . — — Map (db m80320) HM
John A. Murrell, known as the "Great Western Land Pirate," was captured near this site in the winter of 1834. He was said to have killed over 400 people, including many kidnapped slaves. His arrest was brought about through the clever maneuvering of . . . — — Map (db m80322) HM
About 1800 Doublehead located his village at this site, where his brother-in-law Tahlonteeskee had previously lived. Doublehead's log house was built along the same style of those of the white settlers. Chief Doublehead had previously led raids . . . — — Map (db m83942) HM
This park was donated to the people of Florence by Dr. Kirk R. and Lillian Cook Deibert who initially acquired this property in 1952. The acreage was once a part of a large ante-bellum plantation owned by Judge Sidney Cherry Posey. In 1875 his heirs . . . — — Map (db m33086) HM
Dred Scott, whose name is associated with the landmark U.S. Supreme Court Dred Scott Decision of 1857, was born in Virginia between 1795~1809. In 1818 he was in Madison County, Alabama. He came to Florence with the Peter Blow family in 1820. About . . . — — Map (db m35183) HM
Side A The Forks of Cypress plantation was established in 1818 by James and Sarah Jackson. Its home, believed the design of William Nichols, was one of Alabama's great houses, featuring perhaps the earliest peristyle colonnades in America. . . . — — Map (db m83975) HM
Hugh P. Harris became a four-star general in 1964, the 66th officer to receive this rank. A leader in the development of the airborne concept, he held such important post as Commanding General, U.S. Continental Army Commander. — — Map (db m71487) HM
Cavalry Commander under Andrew Jackson throughout War of 1812:
(Creek War, Pensacola, New Orleans).
Negotiated many treaties ceding Indian lands to U.S.
Made original surveys of Tennessee Valley. — — Map (db m35259) HM
Gilbert School, named in honor of Henry C. Gilbert, school superintendent 1892-1904 and long time member of Board of Education was built in 1920, costing $79,000. The structure was planned by George D. Waller, architect. A relief sculpture . . . — — Map (db m83988) HM
McVay (1766~1851), South Carolina native, built a three room log house at head of Cox's Creek about 1818. Community later called Mars Hill. He was a member of Mississippi Territorial Legislature, delegate to convention of 1819 which framed Alabama's . . . — — Map (db m35260) HM
The home of Homer Givens, America's first hero in World War I was located .4 of a mile north of this intersection. Following a bloody two-hour battle on November 1, 1917 Corporal Givens stood alone after his comrades had fallen.
He then managed . . . — — Map (db m28163) HM
John McKinley (1780~1852), native of Virginia, prominent attorney, member of Cypress Land Company, built a large three story mansion near this site in 1820's which later burned. McKinley served in Alabama Legislature, U.S. Senate (1826~31); was . . . — — Map (db m28926) HM
Named for Alabama's first United States Supreme Court Justice, John McKinley made his home in Florence, Alabama from about 1821 to 1842. Born May 1, 1780 in Culpepper County, Virginia, he died July 19, 1852 and is buried in . . . — — Map (db m28930) HM
Built by Theophilus Brown Larimore and his wife, Esther Gresham Larimore, as a home and educational center. Near site of foundry and arsenal of War Between The States, it served as a school, 1871-1887, to train ministers and Christian workers of the . . . — — Map (db m35261) HM
On this site Nicholas Marcellus Hentz conducted a girls school. Native of Metz, France,
Hentz was a painter, entomologist, author, and was once a professor at University of North Alabama. Experimenting with silkworms, he planted groves of mulberry . . . — — Map (db m84029) HM
After flying more than 90 worldwide reconnaissance missions, in 1990 Lt. Col. Ed Yeilding set a coast to coast aircraft speed record of 67 minutes 54 seconds flying an SR-71 spy plane, which is now at the Smithsonian. — — Map (db m84030) HM
Devoting her career to reducing childbirth
mortality among women and newborns across
the world, Lynn Sibley developed a 21st century
community-based model for maternal
and newborn health in low-resource countries. — — Map (db m84031) HM
The great engineering genius of the Panama Canal lived at this site from 1888 until 1907.
As a young lieutenant, Gothals was sent to Florence to speed up the work on the Muscle Shoals Canal Project which effectively by~passed the serious river . . . — — Map (db m84033) HM
Winner of international awards such as the 1982 Wildlife Photographer of the Year through the Overseas Press Club, Michael Nichols was named Photography Editor-at-Large for National Geographic Magazine in 2008. — — Map (db m99375) HM
This building which was completed in 1983 is an accurate replica of the local historical mansion known as The Forks of Cypress. The original mansion, completed in 1822 by James and Sarah Jackson on a knoll five miles from Florence Alabama, was . . . — — Map (db m29253) HM
In his 14 years in the U.S. House of Representatives (1977-1991), Ronnie Flippo held such important posts as the chairmanship of the Space Science Subcommittee during the development of the space shuttle, Columbia. — — Map (db m84045) HM
Known as the "Father of Rock and Roll,"
Sam Phillips established Sun Records in 1952, helping Elvis Presley and other well-known artists launch their careers. He received a Grammy for Lifetime Achievement in music. — — Map (db m84046) HM
Sam Phillips fell in love with the miracle of sound and the unifying power of music. Moving to Memphis, Tennessee, he embraced the beauty of the blues with his early recordings of Howlin Wolf, B.B. King and other delta artists. In . . . — — Map (db m29270) HM
The Council of Fashion Designers of America
recognized Billy Reid as the Best New Menswear
Designer in 2001, followed by the Gentleman's
Quarterly, the Vogue Fashion Fund and the Best
Menswear Designer Awards. — — Map (db m71486) HM
In 1818 three Wilson brothers John, Matthew and Samuel, came from Virginia to purchase large farms in this area. The plantations of John and Matthew joined near this cemetery. All three brothers and their families are buried here. . . . — — Map (db m28160) HM
This park, first designated as a Public Walk, was laid out as part of the original plans of Florence in 1818. On February 20, 1924, the Board of City Commissioners officially changed its name from City Park to Woodrow Wilson Park in honor of the . . . — — Map (db m35665) HM
Daniel White, native of North Carolina, purchased land here in 1818, a year before Alabama became a state. His home and stagecoach stop, "Wayside Inn" was a large two~ story log house located on the North side of the highway from this site. In 1834 . . . — — Map (db m29170) HM
Lock Six, headquarters of Muscle Shoals Canal, was located 1.3 miles south of here. An 1836 attempt to build a bypass canal around the shoals proved unsuccessful. On November 10, 1890 the canal from Rogersville to Florence was successfully . . . — — Map (db m28452) HM
The Newman House was restored and presented in 1995 to the citizens of Waterloo by Ezra Lee Culver, as a memorial to his wife, Edith Elizabeth Newman Culver.
Built in 1872 by Hiram L. and Julia Ann Young Richardson. This house was purchased in . . . — — Map (db m29276) HM
One of Alabama's oldest incorporated towns. Waterloo was an important Tennessee river port during the steamboat era. In low~water season after large boats from Louisville, Cincinnati and other places downriver unloaded here: smaller craft . . . — — Map (db m84302) HM
Tennessee Street along the north side of the square was originally part of Gaines’ Trace, a horse path laid out in 1807 under the direction of Capt. Edmund Pendleton Gaines of the U. S. Army. From Melton’s Bluff on the Tennessee . . . — — Map (db m29056) HM
This circa 1820 house is thought to be one of the oldest houses in Courtland. Occupying a lot platted by the Courtland Land Company in 1818, the house faces North toward what was once the main Tuscumbia Road. Dr. Jack Shackelford . . . — — Map (db m84306) HM
Side A Federal lands in this area were first sold in 1818 and quickly purchased by settlers and speculators. A group of investors calling themselves the “Courtland Land Company” and consisting of William H. Whitaker, James M. . . . — — Map (db m28989) HM
Born near this site 12 September 1913 to Henry Cleveland and Emma (Fitzgerald) Owens, who were sharecroppers and the offspring of freed slaves, Jesse was destined to attain immortality in the 1936 Olympic Games at Berlin, Germany. Although he moved . . . — — Map (db m80969) HM
Born 11 June 1769, in Maryland and married 18 Nov 1797, Anne Royall became a wealthy widow upon her Revolutionary War Veteran husband's death in 1813. However, her husband's family filed an ultimately successful suit for his estate. While she waited . . . — — Map (db m84309) HM
Black Warriors' Path played a critical role as a route for Creek Removal. On December 19, 1835, some 511 Creek emigrants passed along the path through present ~ day Oakville Indian Mounds Park. In September 1836, a group of Creeks left Tallassee in . . . — — Map (db m36027) HM
Form the late 1700's to 1807 a Cherokee Chief named Doublehead guarded this area, that was claimed by both the Cherokee and Chickasaw Nations as sacred hunting grounds against encroachment of white settlers.
Chief Doublehead had the reputation of . . . — — Map (db m84646) HM
This is the earliest known cemetery in the town of Athens, and the final resting place for many of its first citizens. The earliest burials date from the 1820’s and continue through the mid-1800’s, with an occasional burial past 1900. Through the . . . — — Map (db m71525) HM
Born April 23, 1781 in Hanover Co. Virginia, married there to Martha Hargrave of a wealthy Quaker family. He served as U.S. Marshall and in other positions. Moved to Kentucky in 1808. Was a Captain in the WAR OF 1812 and became a political and . . . — — Map (db m29284) HM
Post office contains original call boxes
Old tavern, 1817 used as stagecoach stop
Red Brick Methodist church 1817
U.S. Gen. James A Garfield was stationed here 1862
White frame church is more than a century old
Andrew Johnson was . . . — — Map (db m28154) HM
Approximately 200 yards east of this site are the unmarked graves of Abner Alloway Strange, Sr., and other family members. (The markers were moved to Salem Methodist Cemetery in 1977.) A Sergeant in the Virginia Militia, Strange was at Yorktown . . . — — Map (db m32561) HM
He lifted the Veil of Ignorance
from his people and pointed
the way to progress through
education and industry
We shall prosper in proportion as we
learn to dignify and glorify labor . . . — — Map (db m100163) HM
The young women all seated first, and then the young men march in. But no conversation is allowed until . . . a simple grace is chanted by the
chorus of a thousand voices. —Booker T. Washington, The Working . . . — — Map (db m101926) HM
Named for Frederick Douglass, famed runaway slave, abolitionist and statesman. Douglass came to Tuskegee in 1892 and delivered the 11th Annual Commencement address in which he "urged economy, thrift and common sense." Those words of Douglass echoed . . . — — Map (db m101908) HM
A life that stood out as a gospel of
He could have added fortune to fame
but caring for neither he found happi-
ness and honor in being helpful to
The centre of his world was the South
where he . . . — — Map (db m100165) HM
I will be very glad to pay the bills for the library building . . .
and I am glad of this opportunity to show the interest I have
in your noble work. —Andrew Carnegie
Carnegie Hall is named for Andrew Carnegie, . . . — — Map (db m101923) HM
In this sculpture by Charles Keck, Booker T. Washington lifts the veil of ignorance from the face of a former slave. The open book, plow, and anvil symbolize Washington's guiding principles of opening the path to education through agriculture and . . . — — Map (db m99942) HM
This plaza is dedicated to the memory of the Tuskegee Airmen, including General Daniel "Chappie" James, whose training at Tuskegee University and the Tuskegee Army Air Field enabled them to prove for all time the competence and bravery of Black . . . — — Map (db m20076) HM
More than 8,000 people, White and Colored, rich and poor, from the lowliest farm and the richest Fifth Avenue mansion crowded in and around the school chapel to pay homage [to Booker T. Washington].
—Baltimore Afro-American, . . . — — Map (db m99943) HM
C.B. "Bill" Miller, of Miller and Miller, Inc., had a positive impact in all areas of the transportation industry across the State of Alabama. He has erected bridges, railroads, parks, pedestrian walks, airports, drainage, wastewater facilities, . . . — — Map (db m54247) HM
Harrison Brothers, the oldest operating hardware store in Alabama, was founded in 1879 when James B. Daniel and T. Harrison opened a tobacco shop on Jefferson Street. In 1897 they purchased this building on South Side Square and expanded into the . . . — — Map (db m27791) HM
Built 1819 by H. C. Bradford, this home was later owned by John Read, John McKinley, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court (1837-1852), Bartley M. Lowe, M. C. Betts and Marie Howard Weeden (1846-1905) whose poetry and paintings preserve nineteenth . . . — — Map (db m27841) HM
This canal was constructed to the Tennessee River to facilitate the transportation of cotton to market. Developers were: Thomas Fearn, LeRoy Pope, Stephen S. Ewing, Henry Cook, and Samuel Hazard. — — Map (db m27844) HM
Here, President James Monroe was honored at a public dinner on June 2, 1819, while on a three-day visit to the Alabama Territory. Here, also, the First Alabama Legislature convened on October 25, 1819, while Huntsville was the first Capital. — — Map (db m27851) HM
Tallulah Bankhead was the toast of the London theatre in the 1920's, and nationally renowned for her dramatic roles in “The Little Foxes” (1939), “The Skin of Our Teeth” (1942), the movie . . . — — Map (db m27850) HM
Side A Organized to enhance the economic growth and well~being of the community in order to provide employment opportunities and a superior quality of life for local residents.
First known as the Huntsville Chamber of Commerce, the . . . — — Map (db m85608) HM
The Church of the Nativity congregation was organized December 17, 1842 - the name chosen because of the approaching Christmas season. The Convention of the Diocese of Alabama, Protestant Episcopal Church, approved the congregation . . . — — Map (db m27858) HM
The Demopolis Opera House In 1876, the town of Demopolis leased the former
Presbyterian Church, a classic brick structure
built in 1843 and occupied by federal troops during
Reconstruction, to the Demopolis Opera Association.
The . . . — — Map (db m38009) HM
Andrew N. Johnson, born 1865 in Marion, Alabama, graduated from Talladega College in 1886, and taught in rural Alabama. On this site in 1894, he established the Mobile Weekly Press, a voice for African-Americans, "A.N.", a powerful member of the . . . — — Map (db m111347) HM
Joseph Stillwell Cain Jr., recognized today as the patron saint of Mardi Gras in Mobile, purchased this plot of land in 1859 for $500, along with his wife of more than three years, Elizabeth Rabby Cain. The couple built a four-room classic revival . . . — — Map (db m111285) HM
Joseph Stillwell Cain, Jr. was born along Dauphin Street in Mobile, Alabama. Joe served as a clerk for the city, and developed many mystic societies within the city. The Civil War brought all Mardi Gras Festivities to a halt. Cain had participated . . . — — Map (db m86730) HM
A postal worker, a community leader, a state legislator, a journalist, and a civil rights activist, Mobile native John L. LeFlore spent 50 years working to peacefully transform the character of the city and create opportunities to enhance citizens' . . . — — Map (db m111413) HM
Joseph (Joe) N. Langan devoted his life to helping others and championing noble causes. He provided wisdom as a city and stare leader and served courageously
as a U.S. Army officer during World War II and the Korean War. As a leading
advocate for . . . — — Map (db m111415) HM
"I want to take this occasion to say that the United States will never again seek one additional foot of territory by conquest. She will devote herself to showing that she knows how to make honorable and fruitful use of the territory she has and she . . . — — Map (db m86381) HM
Native of Montreal, Canada, Naval Officer of France,
Governor of Louisiana
and Founder of the first Capital, Mobile, in 1711.
Born 1680 — Died 1768
With the Genius to create an Empire
and the Courage to maintain . . . — — Map (db m86732) HM
Vernon Crawford established the first African-American law firm in Mobile. He successfully argued the Birdie Mae Davis case that desegregated Mobile schools. He stood before the Supreme Court and won the landmark case of Bolden vs. the City of . . . — — Map (db m111319) HM
On this site stood the home of the Faulk family of Monroeville, relatives of the writer Truman Capote. Capote himself lived in this home between 1927 and c. 1933, and for several years spent his summer vacations here. Two of the Faulk sisters . . . — — Map (db m47694) HM
During the westward expansion of the United States in the early 1800’s, those whose destination was the new Mississippi Territory took a right fork off the Federal Road which led to the Alabama River ferry at Claiborne. After the land cessions of . . . — — Map (db m47638) HM
The Alabama home of the commander of the Alamo. While living in this house Travis read law under The Hon. James Dellet of Claiborne, Al. In 1831, at the age of 22, he left Claiborne for Texas where he practiced law and became involved in the Texas . . . — — Map (db m47644) HM
To the memory of
Albert L. Patterson
Soldier, Educator, Attorney,
State Senator Attorney General-Elect
An honorable life dedicated to
his fellowman and to the cause of
good government. Shot down by an
assassin's . . . — — Map (db m86064) HM
A native of Opelika, Alabama, he is the son of Clement C. Torbert and Lynda Meadows Torbert. He was educated in the Opelika public schools. He attended the United States Naval Academy and received his B.S. Degree from Auburn University in 1951. He . . . — — Map (db m86073) HM
The second black Baptist Church in Montgomery. First pastor was Rev. C. O. Boothe. Present structure built 1885. Designed by Pelham J. Anderson; built by William Watkins, a member of the congregation.
Many prominent black citizens of Montgomery . . . — — Map (db m25128) HM
Born in Montgomery, Alabama, he is the son of Ernest Arnold Hornsby and Kate Clayton Hornsby. A 1955 graduate of Tallassee High School, he received his B.A. Degree from Auburn University and his Juris Doctor Degree from the University of Alabama . . . — — Map (db m69338) HM
8590 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 8390