Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Communications Historical Markers

2138 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 1938
 
Swift Coles Historic Home Marker image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, August 22, 2018
Swift Coles Historic Home Marker
Alabama (Baldwin County), Bon Secour — The Charles Swift Family / Swift Coles Historic Home
The Charles Swift Family Charles Swift came to Alabama in 1880 and married Susan Roberts in 1885. He developed a successful lumber business, including a sawmill here on the Bon Secour River. The Swifts raised their eleven children in this . . . — Map (db m122465) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Summerdale — Sonora Community / Sonora School and Community Hall
Sonora Community The community of Sonora was named in 1901 by the wife of the first postmaster, G.L. Sharretts. Situated near Red Hill Ford on Baker Branch and the intersection of travel routes between Silverhill, Magnolia Springs, Marlow . . . — Map (db m130878) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — William Thomas "Tom" Mann / Eufaula, Alabama1932-2005 / Fishing Lure Capital of the World
William Thomas "Tom" Mann 1932-2005 Family man, entrepreneur and bass angler legend, Tom Mann, achieved fame as a fishing lure designer/manufacturer and helped put Lake Eufaula on the map with his popular television shows. With an . . . — Map (db m113682) HM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Anniston — Tyrus Raymond Cobb
In 1904, 18 year old Tyrus Raymond Cobb lived in a boarding house on this site while playing minor league baseball for the Anniston Steelers. From nearby Scarbrough Drug Store on Noble Street he wrote letters, using fictitious names, to sports . . . — Map (db m106606) HM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Jacksonville — JacksonvilleCalhoun County, Alabama
Postoffice established July 20, 1833 as Drayton, Benton County, Alabama. Name changed to Jacksonville Aug. 6, 1834 and county changed to Calhoun Jan. 29, 1858. Office maintained by Confederate Government 1861-1865. Postmasters and dates of . . . — Map (db m36449) HM
Alabama (Cherokee County), Centre — John Johnathan Pratt
Inventor of the early typewriter—the pterotye. Born in 1831, Union Dist., S.C., died in 1905, grave 2 miles west. While registered in chancery and later editor of the National Democrat near this siteabout 1860, developed his first writing . . . — Map (db m115571) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Cherokee — Bridging CulturesNatchez Trace Parkway
Here, near the bubbling waters of Buzzard Roost Spring, Levi Colbert (Itawamba Minko, “Bench Chief”) built one of the many inns—called stands—along the Natchez Trace. But it was Colbert’s negotiating and language skills . . . — Map (db m107265) HM
Alabama (Etowah County), Gadsden — Gadsden Times-News Building
This Italianate brick commercial structure with a cast-iron storefront on the first floor is significant for its 24 year association with Gadsden’s principal newspaper. It was constructed in 1904 to house The Gadsden Times-News, which was . . . — Map (db m39217) HM
Alabama (Etowah County), Gadsden — Paul Harvey Loyalty Day
On Loyalty Day this 30th day of April, 1967, we do pay honor and tribute to a great American - Paul Harvey - a man who has contributed much toward making this nation and especially Gadsden a better place to live. We salute a true champion of . . . — Map (db m83737) HM
Alabama (Jackson County), Scottsboro — Robert Thomas Scott1800-1863
Planter, tavern operator, newspaper editor, legislator, and land developer, he sought in vain to have the Jackson County seat moved from Bellefont to the settlement that bore his name. After his death in 1863, his widow reached an agreement in 1868 . . . — Map (db m22260) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Emory Overton Jackson1908 - 1975
Emory Overton Jackson was born on September 8, 1908 in Buena Vista, Georgia to Will Burt and Lovie Jones Jackson. E. O. Jackson and his seven siblings were raised in the middle-class Birmingham enclave of Enon Ridge, located on the west side of town . . . — Map (db m64736) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Green Acres Café1705 - 4th Avenue, North
Businesses that occupied this building between 1908 - 1970 1908 - 1913 Southern Bell Telephone Company Stockroom 1915 - 1926 OK French Dry Cleaning Company 1927 - 1938 George Kanelis Billiards 1940 - 1945 Alex’s Steak House 1946 - . . . — Map (db m27521) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Charles Lee MooreCity of Florence Walk of Honor
Recipient of 1989 of the first Kodak Award for Photojournalism, Charles Moore chronicled such major events as the Civil Rights Movement in the 1960's South, political violence in Haiti, and the air war in Vietnam. — Map (db m56376) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Michael "Nick" NicholsCity of Florence Walk of Honor
Winner of international awards such as the 1982 Wildlife Photographer of the Year through the Overseas Press Club, Michael Nichols was named Photography Editor-at-Large for National Geographic Magazine in 2008. — Map (db m99375) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — William Burch (Billy) Reid
The Council of Fashion Designers of America recognized Billy Reid as the Best New Menswear Designer in 2001, followed by the Gentleman's Quarterly, the Vogue Fashion Fund and the Best Menswear Designer Awards. — Map (db m71486) HM
Alabama (Lawrence County), Moulton — Anne Newport Royall
Born 11 June 1769, in Maryland and married 18 Nov 1797, Anne Royall became a wealthy widow upon her Revolutionary War Veteran husband's death in 1813. However, her husband's family filed an ultimately successful suit for his estate. While she waited . . . — Map (db m84309) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Elkmont — Downtown Scenes
01: Looking south on Railroad Street. 02: McWilliams Store, June 1913. 03: Drugstore interior, 1940s. 04: Citizens' Bank, early 1900s. 05: Elkmont Post Office, circa 1900s. 06: Telephone switchboard, early 1900s. 07: Elkmont Post . . . — Map (db m93856) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Mooresville — MooresvilleIncorporated in 1818
Post office contains original call boxes Old tavern, 1817 used as stagecoach stop Red Brick Methodist church 1817 U.S. Gen. James A Garfield was stationed here 1862 White frame church is more than a century old Andrew Johnson was . . . — Map (db m28154) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Norwegian Light Beacon And Fog Bell
The light beacon and fog bell in Big Springs International Park were presented as a gift from Norway in 1973. The light beacon served as one of the guiding lights to the mariner from 1903 to 1966 being situated on the west coast of Norway at . . . — Map (db m85545) HM
Alabama (Marengo County), Dixons Mills — Office of Joel Desaker Jones
Born January 5, 1861 - Died June 28, 1948 Marengo Co. Surveyor, Historian, and Journalist Author of Democrat Reporter Newspaper Column “Old Times” "He was a Baptist, A Mason, A Surveyor, an Old-Timer" . . . — Map (db m73005) HM
Alabama (Marshall County), Albertville — Albert Family
The City of Albertville is named for Thomas Albert, buried here with his wife Sarah Sappington Albert and daughter Sarah. They had three other daughters -- Martha, who married James C. Miller,the city's first postmaster, Elizabeth, and Mary. Albert . . . — Map (db m143214) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — 1 — Andrew N. Johnson
Andrew N. Johnson, born 1865 in Marion, Alabama, graduated from Talladega College in 1886, and taught in rural Alabama. On this site in 1894, he established the Mobile Weekly Press, a voice for African-Americans, "A.N.", a powerful member of the . . . — Map (db m111347) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — John L. LeFlore1903- 1976
A postal worker, a community leader, a state legislator, a journalist, and a civil rights activist, Mobile native John L. LeFlore spent 50 years working to peacefully transform the character of the city and create opportunities to enhance citizens' . . . — Map (db m111413) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — WALA-TV, Channel 10Mobile's Oldest Operating Station
In 1952, W.O. Pape, owner of the WALA-AM radio station, received a television license from the Federal Communications Commission. The WALA acronym stood for "We Are Loyal Alabamians." On January 14, 1953, WALA-TV, Channel 10, began broadcasting from . . . — Map (db m149325) HM
Alabama (Monroe County), Frisco City — Frisco City Centennial Time Capsule
Placed here in 1988 Do not open until Oct. 2088 Time Capsule contains no articles of any monetary value. Town of Frisco City, AL Mayor Billy McCrory Council Members: Billy Hoffman • Jimmy McKinley Joe Ikner • . . . — Map (db m84381) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Award of Air Force Cross to Richard L. Etchberger
Citation to Accompany the Award of The Air Force Cross to Richard L. Etchberger Chief Master Sergeant Richard L. Etchberger distinguished himself by extraordinary heroism in connection with military . . . — Map (db m95529) WM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Howell Thomas HeflinTwenty-Forth Chief Justice — 1971-1977 —
A native of Tuscumbia, he was the son of Reverend Marvin R. Heflin and Louise D. Strudwick Heflin. He was a graduate of Colbert County High School, Birmingham Southern College, and the University of Alabama School of Law. He was a past President of . . . — Map (db m69336) HM
Alabama (Morgan County), Decatur — The Decatur DailyA Century of Service / Four Generations of Sheltons
A Century of Service The Decatur Daily newspaper began publication in the basement of a building on the northeast corner of Moulton Street and Second Avenue on Feb. 26, 1912 to serve the adjacent towns of Decatur and New Decatur. Its web . . . — Map (db m127338) HM
Alabama (Perry County), Marion — The Alabama Baptist
The first issue of The Alabama Baptist was published in Marion, Alabama. General Edwin D. King, a Judson trustee, offered his office for use in printing and distributing the paper from 1843-1852. The building was owned by Milo P. Jewett, . . . — Map (db m70070) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Troy — Cowart HallRenovated 1993
Born in Henderson, Alabama in 1850, Fletcher Jackson Cowart began his working career as a public school teacher. He later served superintendencies for both the Pike County and the Troy City schools. He was editor of the Troy Messenger and a . . . — Map (db m38934) HM
Alabama (Talladega County), Talladega — The Joiner Family
The distinguished Joiner family lived here in an imposing mansion, demolished in 1970. James H. Joiner: Pioneer in Talladega's progress while publisher, 1844-73, of one of Alabama's most influential newspapers - The Democratic Watchtower. . . . — Map (db m37220) HM
Alabama (Tallapoosa County), Alexander City — First Presbyterian Church
First Presbyterian Church was organized March 2, 1893. The church was made up of 17 members at the home of Robert Clinton Sandlin, who was installed as the First Ruling Elder. The church constructed their 1st building on this site in 1895. The . . . — Map (db m28548) HM
Alabama (Winston County), Arley — The Party Line - The “Talking Machine”Historic Corner
Here was located the switchboard known as “Central”, of Winston Telephone, Arley’s Grand Old Party Line. Built about 1909 by Mimm Wright, with an estimated maximum of 25 phones, she was the pulse of the community. When one phone rang, . . . — Map (db m42857) HM
Arizona (Cochise county), Sierra Vista — Carmichael General Store/U.S. Post OfficeBill's Trading Post/G & M Stronghold Steakhouse — Daisy Mae's Steakhouse —
335 North Garden Avenue Built in 1905 This is perhaps the oldest building still standing in Sierra Vista. Mr. John Reilly homesteaded the property and received the patent for the land in March of 1911. John Reilly and his wife Ellen sold . . . — Map (db m27895) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Sierra Vista — Ice Hall
Dedicated 9, July 1993 In honor of Command Sergeant Major Clovis D. Ice United States Army 1933 – 1991 CSM Ice was a pioneer in military intelligence, airborne and special forces operations. He was a principal developer of . . . — Map (db m28234) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Willcox — Rex Allen Memorial
[Marker mounted to the left of sculpture:] Born December 31, 1920 to Horace and Faye Allen in Willcox, Rex Elvie Allen was cross-eyed at birth. As a young boy, Rex sang in the barber shop on this very street. He and his Dad played . . . — Map (db m28199) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — Telephone Exchange1909
This building was constructed in 1909 by John W. Weatherford, the man who earlier built the adjacent Weatherford Hotel. It was the headquarters for the Arizona Overland Telephone Company, housing its offices and physical plant. Construction . . . — Map (db m59966) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon National Park — CCC Legacy
The nearby plaque commemorates an amazing feat achieved by members of the Civilian Conservation Corp (CCC) in the 1930s - construction of a telephone line spanning the entire width of Grand Canyon. One of the poles still stands behind this wall. . . . — Map (db m78836) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon National Park — Trans-Canyon Telephone Line
Trans-Canyon Telephone Line, built in 1935 by CCC workers, maintained by Mountain Bell, has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m78832) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Walnut Canyon National Monument — A Community Sharing the Land
This was a community of relatives and neighbors. Its members worked together to haul water, hunt animals, and gather plants. They likely assisted each other with large fields on the rims. They shared walls and resources, joy and sorrow, success . . . — Map (db m61366) HM
Arizona (Gila County), Payson — Historic Mail TrailCamp Verde Arizona to Payson Arizona Mail Trail
This historic mail trail is dedicated to the memory of the mail riders named below and unknown mail carriers that braved weather, rough terrain and the Verde River to deliver mail 52 miles from Camp Verde to Payson, Arizona from 1884 to 1914. . . . — Map (db m36063) HM
Arizona (Graham County), Solomon — Solomon(Solomonville) — County Seat of Graham County 1883 – 1915 —
Named for Isadore Elkan Solomon, a pioneer settler, who in 1876 burned charcoal here for supplying fuel to the Lesinsky Brothers' Copper Smelter near Clifton. First Treasurer of Graham County. Early day merchant, postmaster, and one of the founders . . . — Map (db m28059) HM
Arizona (La Paz County), Salome — Salome"Where She Danced"
This desert town was made famous by the humor of Dick Wick Hall, healthseeker and operator of the laughing gas station. Hall's publication the Salome Sun was filled with extravagant tales of the desert's adaptation of species. He told of his frog . . . — Map (db m31824) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Phoenix Newspapers, Inc.
The Arizona Republic is directly descended from the Valley’s first newspaper, the Salt River Herald, first published January 26, 1878. The weekly newspaper became a semi-weekly, then in 1879, a daily titled the Phoenix Herald. Merging . . . — Map (db m126695) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Scottsdale — Passing the Legacy
The western spirit of adventure is captured in a moment of connection between two Pony Express riders. A legendary American tradition established in 1860 was revived in 1958 by Arizona's Hashknife Pony Express-who have continued to deliver the U.S. . . . — Map (db m49937) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Boulder City — Anson Smith1860 – 1935
A Memorial Tribute to Anson Smith 1860 - 1935 Editor and Publisher of the Mohave County Miner, acclaimed by President Herbert Hoover for his tireless efforts and support during construction of Boulder Canyon Project and the location of . . . — Map (db m46819) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Fredonia — 995 Miles of Wire — Pipe Spring National Monument —
A long line of juniper poles — like the one you see here — set 70 yards apart ended Pipe Spring’s isolation. From 1871 on, telegraph wire connected the ranch first to Utah and then to the outside world. By 1880 Mormon settlements from . . . — Map (db m149370) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Kingman — A.T. & T. BuildingBuilt 1930
This building has been placed on The National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior. A.T.&T. Building Built 1930 A good example of Spanish Colonial Revival style with Federal Modern . . . — Map (db m29395) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Kingman — Charles Metcalfe Park
Dedicated in Memory of Charles Metcalfe 1855-1943 He deeded in perpetuity this land as a park for the use of Kingman youth. Recognized as a civic leader and land developer, He proposed development of Hualapai Mountain Park. He held . . . — Map (db m29362) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — E. N. Fish & Co. Store
Built in 1874 of unplastered adobe with pitched roofs, this second Edward Nye Fish mercantile store in Florence changed hands to become the, Joseph Collingwood & Co. Store and Wells Fargo office in 1877. Collingwood, Florence's first postmaster, had . . . — Map (db m26717) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — E.N. Fish & Co. StoreHistoric Site
Edward Nye Fish, prominent Tucson merchant, and his partner/manager Joseph Collingwood, first Florence postmaster, opened Florence's first store in this building in 1868. Building additions from 1867 to 1888 formed a U-shaped complex, and . . . — Map (db m26708) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — John P. Clum House
Built in 1878 for John P. Clum, Indian agent, editor of Florence's first newspaper, the "Arizona Citizen" and founder of the "Tombstone Epitaph." Typical of transitional architecture, the home is a Sonoran adobe with an Anglo-influenced roof. . . . — Map (db m26744) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Levi RugglesFounder of Florence — Historic Site —
Civil War veteran Levi Ruggles came to Arizona Territory in 1866 as a U.S. Indian Agent. Recognizing the agricultural potential of this valley, he found an easily fordable crossing on the Gila River and surveyed a townsite here. He called the . . . — Map (db m26709) HM
Arizona (Santa Cruz County), Nogales — Commemorating Jacob IsaacsonPioneer Settler — 1880 —
First postmaster of Isaacson, Arizona (Changed to Nogales June 4, 1883) — Map (db m27079) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Bumble Bee — The Sunset Point Rest AreaDedicated to the Engineering Achievement of — William Clayton LeFebvre, 1890-1964 —
A colorful administrator, he is credited with establishing the basic location of Arizona's billion-dollar Interstate Highway System. He served as State Engineer twice, from 1924 to 1928 and from 1945 to 1951. He devoted much of his final term to . . . — Map (db m40780) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — Whitten Printers
Carl E.C. Whitten, graduate of Jerome High School and son of immigrant parents, worked for the Prescott Evening Courier before moving back to Jerome in 1927. Carl purchased the Verde Copper News which began in Jerome in 1917. He purchased the . . . — Map (db m33163) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Grace M. Sparkes1893 – 1963
There was a time when progress in Yavapai County was spelled S-P-A-R-K-E-S. Grace M. Sparkes came to Prescott, Arizona Territory, at the age of 14 in 1906. By 1911, she was working for the Yavapai County Chamber of Commerce as Secretary, a job she . . . — Map (db m33137) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Garfield — The Butterfield Overland Mail Route
John Butterfield was born in Berne, New York in 1801 and grew up on a farm amid the technological revolution of the first steamboat, the Erie Canal, the steam locomotive, and the electric telegraph.      In 1857, John Butterfield won a lucrative . . . — Map (db m84484) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Lowell — Lowell Postal Service

The earliest postal area was at Cross Hollows. Records show the Bloomington Post Office was changed to Lowell, March 9, 1881 with Paul F. Lewis, Postmaster. Insets show a 1900 Post Office building on North Jackson Street. The one next door to . . . — Map (db m93274) HM

Arkansas (Crawford County), Van Buren — A-23 — Albert Pike School HouseCrawford County — 1836 – 1936 —
In this small log building Albert Pike noted lawyer, poet and mason taught school in 1832. He later went to Little Rock to become editor of the Advocate. — Map (db m96857) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Old Bell Telephone Building
Built in 1911 by a local attorney, R.C. Rose, as Osceola's first telephone office, the building features two louver-covered windows, a cornice dividing the two floors and two square pilasters with corbelled brick separating the upper 8-over-8 . . . — Map (db m36707) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — The Osceola Times Building
This 1901 office was the first building in "New Town," having been used continuously as a newspaper office since that time and remains the oldest and tallest commercial building in the city. The "Osceola Times," reporting on life along the Cotton . . . — Map (db m36408) HM
Arkansas (Saline County), Benton — The Benton Courier
Founded in 1876 by W.A. Webber as The Saline County Digest, this was the first newspaper and is the oldest continuously operated business in Saline County. The name was changed to The Review in 1882 and to The Courier in 1883. The original office . . . — Map (db m104055) HM
Arkansas (Union County), Mount Holly — 23 — Mount Holly Cemetery
Mount Holly Cemetery is the final resting place of 15 Confederate soldiers, including Asa S. Morgan, who in 1861 recruited the El Dorado Sentinels, which became Co. A, 1st Arkansas Infantry. Morgan later served as colonel of the 26th Arkansas . . . — Map (db m121172) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Fayetteville — Butterfield Stage Route
This tablet marks a part of the Butterfield Stage Route from St. Louis to San Francisco 1857 – 1860 — Map (db m59888) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Springdale — Fitzgerald's Station
Here on this, the Old Wire Road, was located Fitzgerald's Station on the Butterfield Overland mail route from St. Louis to San Francisco. First trip 1858. Last 1861. Longest and best conducted mail route in the world. 2795 miles. Service twice . . . — Map (db m59950) HM
California (Alameda County), Alameda — They Brought Alameda the NewsPaul's Newstand Re-dedicated April 30, 2011
NEWSPAPERS were the main source of public information before the introduction of radio and television. The Bay Area was home to several daily newspapers and the larger publishers produced as many as five editions released throughout the day. . . . — Map (db m145341) HM
California (Alameda County), Fremont — Site of First Post Office
Site of the First Post Office In Niles Established 1873 William Synder Postmaster Annual Salary $12.00 — Map (db m63809) HM
California (Alameda County), Hayward — 1025 — Honcharenko’s Sanctuary
Along the ridge behind this panel lies a 52-acre parcel of historical significance. This farmstead known as “Ukraina” was the home of Ukrainian patriot, writer, and publisher Father Agapius Honcharenko. He and his wife Albina lived here . . . — Map (db m26499) HM
California (Alameda County), Hayward — 1025 — Ukrania
“Ukraina” is the site of the farm and burial place of the Ukrainian patriot and exiled orthodox priest Agapius Honcharenko (1832-1916) and his wife Albina. Honcharenko was the first nationally conscious Ukrainian to arrive in the United . . . — Map (db m146447) HM
California (Alpine County), Kirkwood — Snowshoe Thom(p)son(John Tostensen) — A True Pioneer —
“…there ought to be a shaft raised to Snow-Shoe Thompson: Not of marble; Not carved and not planted in the valley, but a rough shaft of basalt or of granite, massive and tall, with top ending roughly as if broken short, to represent a life . . . — Map (db m12028) HM
California (Alpine County), Markleeville — Snowshoe Thompson
This marks the home of John Albert Thompson (Snowshoe Thompson) great pioneer of the Sierras and hero of the mountains, who for twenty winters carried the mail over the deep snow of the mountains on his long skies: Giving help to those in need along . . . — Map (db m21302) HM
California (Alpine County), Markleeville — Snowshoe Thompson Home
John A. “Snowshoe” Thompson (1827-1876) Native of Norway who carried mail across the Sierra Nevada on skis, assisting the needful for twenty years, dwelt and died on this site. Dedicated on June 30, 1990 Native Sons of the Golden . . . — Map (db m21301) HM
California (Alpine County), Woodfords — 805 — The Pony Express - Woodfords
During the initial five weeks of its operation in 1860, an important remount station of the famous Pony Express was located a few feet from here at Cary’s Barn. This monument erected by the Historical Society of Alpine County. National . . . — Map (db m143520) HM
California (Alpine County), Woodfords — 805 — Woodfords Station
Historic Woodfords Station, the Eastern Sierra gateway to the goldfields of California, way station of the famed Pony Express, and entrance to Carson Pass on the Emigrant Trail to the Sacramento Valley. Beginning in 1849 with the building of the . . . — Map (db m143519) HM
California (Amador County), Martell — Amador Ledger
This newspaper was started in Volcano October 27, 1855. It was moved to Jackson in April, 1857. The Amador Ledger is the fourth oldest weekly newspaper in California and the oldest in Amador County. This building became the new home of the Amador . . . — Map (db m44139) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — James H. Carson
. . . — Map (db m7502) HM
California (Calaveras County), Copperopolis — Calaveras Telephone
Present site of one of the last family-founded and-still-operated-by-that-family phone companies in America. Founded by Jim Tower, who strung his first telephone wires in 1895 tacked along posts of barb wire fences, earning himself the colorful . . . — Map (db m57982) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Alamo — Site of the J.M. Jones House(former Francisco Garcia Adobe)
John M. & Mary Ann Smith Jones, lived at this location from 1851 - 1866. They came out west in a prairie schooner. Here John opened the only post office between Martinez and Mission San Jose on May 18, 1852. Mary Ann was his deputy while her . . . — Map (db m93991) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Clayton — The Clayton Post Office
The Clayton Post Office, established on October 4, 1861, is one of the oldest post offices in continuous operation in California. Ensuring its continuation in Clayton was one reason for incorporating the city in 1964. During the past 140 . . . — Map (db m24534) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — 1 — Site of Pioneer American Settler William Rust's Blacksmith ShopCirca 1889
In 1909 Rust was named the first postmaster of Rust, California, which was renamed El Cerrito in 1917 — Map (db m94108) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Sobrante — El Sobrante's First Full-service Post Office
El Sobrante's first free-standing post office opened in this building in 1957, marking an important milestone in the town's development. The post office was previously located in the adjacent Lee's Variety Store (the Elks Lodge as of 2014) and . . . — Map (db m94308) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Lafayette — Dedicated to the Pony Express
In 1860-1861 Pony Express riders stopped in Lafayette 19 times to change horses en route to San Francisco from St. Joseph, Missouri Lafayette Historical Society 1992 — Map (db m24461) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Lafayette — Lafayette House
Dedicated April 23, 1998 Lafayette House Added Station By Diablo Foods Better Homes Realty - Lafayette Diamond K. Supply, Ltd. Lafayette Chamber of Commerce Lafayette Historical Society Pony Express Trail Association {reverse . . . — Map (db m24916) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — XIV — 736 Ferry Street1906
Built after the Fire of 1904 that consumed the entire block Occupied in 1881 by Contra Costa Telephone Company founded in 1881 by J. Borland which was sold to Pacific Bell Telephone Company in 1892 with R. Borland as superintendent for 40 years . . . — Map (db m53919) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — Morgan House
Dedicated April 23, 2000 Morgan House Pony Express Route Apr. 23, 1860 - Sep. 8, 1861 Home Station Apr. 16, 1869 - Sep.8, 1861 By James Stretesky Supervisor Gayle B. Uilkema Martinez Area Chamber of Commerce Pony Express Trail . . . — Map (db m24369) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — Pony Express Ferry "Carquinez"
Dedicated April 23, 2005 Martinez By James Stretestky · Julian M. Frazer · Martinez Historical Society · Mayor Rob & Carole Schroder · Supervisor Gayle B. Uilkema · Vice Mayor Mark & Dianne Ross · Tesoro's Golden Eagle Refinery · . . . — Map (db m19224) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Moraga — 5 — Moraga Barn
. . . — Map (db m49762) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Orinda — Pony Express1860-1861
A nearby plaque commemorates the passage in 1860-1861 of Pony Express riders from Sacramento to the San Francisco terminus. They usually rode river steamers, but 20 times the Pony Express took an overland route as the steamers did not . . . — Map (db m142217) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Orinda — The Pony Express
Pony Express Trail This plaque commemorates the passage in 1860 and 1861 of the Pony Express riders from Sacramento to San Francisco through what is now Orinda. Sponsored by the City of Orinda's Historical Landmark Committee and the Pony . . . — Map (db m29913) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Pittsburg — Pittsburg Post Dispatch Building
Built in 1923, this brick building was the home of the Coast Counties Gas and Electric Company which provided utilities to the City of Pittsburgh. The company closed its office in the 1950s and the building became a newspaper publishing and . . . — Map (db m37423) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — 148 — Post Office1410 N. Main St. — 1928 —
In the early years, Walnut Creek residents picked up their mail from one of the local merchants on Main Street, who served as postmaster. This brick building served as Walnut Creek's first post office, beginning in 1928. A newer post office opened . . . — Map (db m93826) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — 145 — Ramona TheatreN. Main at Cypress — 1920 —
The 400-seat Ramona, Walnut Creek's first cinema, opened in 1920 as a silent-movie house. The theater sat on Main Street, next to the Contra Costa Courier newspaper and where Cypress Street now connects to Broadway. It was owned by Theodore . . . — Map (db m93828) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — What Are Those Towers For?
Mount Diablo has always been a guide and landmark to people far bellow, and so it became a natural location for many radio and transmission towers as well. As early as 1928, the Standard Oil Company and U.S. Dept. of Commerce jointly . . . — Map (db m103092) HM
California (El Dorado County), Meyers — John (Snowshoe) Thompson
Send me men to match my mountains. These are words a great poet said speaking for the brave young nation that needed strong and brave men’s aid. In memory of John (Snowshoe) Thompson who, for twenty successive winters, 1856-1876, . . . — Map (db m434) HM
California (El Dorado County), Meyers — Yank’s Added Station
(back) The Hawley Grade from April 3, 1860 to November 17, 1860 was used by the Pony Express. On November 18, 1860 the new toll road down Johnson Pass (Echo Summit), today’s Old Meyers Grade, was opened to horse traffic and was now used by . . . — Map (db m435) HM
California (El Dorado County), Meyers — 708 — Yank’s Station
This was the site of the most eastern remount station of the Central Overland Pony Express in California. Established as a trading post in 1851 by Martin Smith, it became a popular hostelry and stage-stop operated by Ephraim “Yank” . . . — Map (db m433) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Davis and Roy News Depot / Shelley Inch Building / Placerville News Company
Fisher’s Oasis Coffee House and Wadsworth’s Chicago Dining Saloon occupied this site from 1851- 1855. In 1853 F.A. Bee, founder of the Placerville Herald, printed his short-lived newspaper here. Early pioneer doctors, Harvey and Sholer and . . . — Map (db m65253) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Snowshoe Thompson
A Viking Son of Norway who fulfilled California’s motto: “Bring Me Men To Match My Mountains” For twenty winters from 1858 to 1878 he was the lifeline between Utah Territory across the Sierras, and the new state of California. . . . — Map (db m12750) HM
California (El Dorado County), Pollack Pines — The Pony Express - Sportsman’s Hall
California’s only Home Station where riders changed on the Pony Express trail. Here, at 8:01 A.M. on April 4, 1860, Sam Hamilton, first eastbound rider, was relieved by Warren Upson who carried the initial mail over the then storm swept Sierras. . . . — Map (db m613) HM
California (El Dorado County), Pollock Pines — 704 — Sportsman’s Hall
This was the site of Sportsman’s Hall, also known as Twelve-Mile House. The hotel operated in the late 1850’s and 1860’s by John and James Blair, a stopping place for stages and teams of the comstock. It became a relay station of the Central . . . — Map (db m609) HM
California (El Dorado County), Pollock Pines — The Pony Express
The Pony Express originated in 1860, when our nation was divided and civil war threatened. Communication between California and Washington DC took months. Although the Pony Express existed little more than 18 months, it played a major role in the . . . — Map (db m94642) HM
California (El Dorado County), Shingle Springs — Du Roc HouseIn Search of the Pony Express — Historical Marker —
Dedicated July 1, 2000 Du Roc House Added Station July 1, 1861 – Nov. 20, 1861 by PW Pipe James Stretesky Norman & Ann Root County of El Dorado American Suzuki Motor Corporation Pony Express Trail . . . — Map (db m50321) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — Buhne BuildingItalianate Architecture - 1884 — Eureka Historic Landmark —
Built for Captain H.H. Buhne; Humboldt County Bank, other businesses, residences, public hall, rooftop signal service station. This program made possible through a partnership with property owners Kelly and Kala Martin, Eureka Main Street, and . . . — Map (db m61275) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — U.S. Post Office 1882-1885 / 1890-1894
This was the first building expressly constructed for the Eureka Post Office Postmaster Frederick Aze, (served as Eureka postmaster for 17 years.) motivated by cramped and ill suited facilities at 612 Second St. had this building constructed at . . . — Map (db m135482) HM
California (Humboldt County), Ferndale — GPY 136-09 — "The Victorian Inn"
The Victorian Inn was built in 1890 with completion in 1891, and known as the Russ Building. The structure was originally built to house the Ferndale Bank with the Ferndale Enterprise Newspaper following. There were 33 rooms on the second floor; . . . — Map (db m65289) HM
California (Humboldt County), Patrick's Point — William Z. Hegy1915 - 1986
A native of Plunkett, Saskatchewan, Canada. Graduated from Stanford University with a degree in Civil Engineering, began work with the Division of Highways in 1936. He worked in many positions and locations throughout his career, becoming State . . . — Map (db m1509) HM
California (Imperial County), El Centro — Imperial Valley Press
The Imperial Valley Press was established in 1901 with the aid of W.F. Holt in the town of Imperial and was known as the Imperial Press. Mr. Holt moved the paper to the new city of El Centro in 1906 and changed the name to the Imperial Valley Press. . . . — Map (db m105982) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Havilah Courier
Newspapers brought news of wars, politics, local happenings and other important information to the residents of Kern County. This exhibit displays artifacts reminiscent of Kern County’s first newspaper office, the Weekly Courier. . . . — Map (db m26087) HM
California (Kern County), Piute Springs — Piute Ranch Homesite of Elizabeth "Lizzie" McGuirkScobie, Shipsey, Kersey — 1860 - 1932 —
Came to territory by covered wagon in 1865 Settled here in 1876 Owned and operated Gwynne Gold Mine, store hotel and stage station cattle rancher, Indian agent Postmistress — Map (db m83310) HM
California (Kern County), Randsburg — Whitehouse SaloonDickinson's Saloon — 1895 Centennial 1995 —
The Whitehouse Saloon The Whitehouse Saloon was thought to first open as Whitehouse in the late “Teens” under the management of H.B. “Moses” Elder and his brother Emmett Elder. It was closed down by Prohibition in 1920 . . . — Map (db m53855) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 24 — Former Post OfficeSite of Early Historic Buildings & Former Post Office
The current building, which was built to house the post office, replaced two older houses. It is now privately owned and houses offices of local businesses. Across the alley behind the building, there was once a small, tin building that housed . . . — Map (db m71108) HM
California (Kern County), Woody — Joseph Weringer, Sr.Pioneer Businessman, Miner
Joseph Weringer, Sr., Born 1855 in Vienna, established the “Weringer Brewery and Bowling Alley” in Bakersfield in 1881. In 1889 he moved here and established the original townsite of Woody, named after pioneer rancher Sparrel Woody. . . . — Map (db m113825) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — Oakes & Philbrook Furniture Store
William Vellenoweth, better known to a generation of Susanville youngsters as Dad Popcorn, had his colorful stand at this location from 1918 to 1931. This building, constructed in 1901 as the Oakes & Philbrook Furniture Store, also housed the . . . — Map (db m112617) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Carson — Robert A. Cinader
Robert A. Cinader's involvement with the Los Angeles County Fire Department began in 1971 when he filmed a pilot television movie about the county's fledgling paramedic program. "Emergency" aired in 1972 and ran as a prime time show for five . . . — Map (db m50349) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — 4 — The Citizen Publishing Building
"Dedicated in perpetuity to the service of the people that no good cause shall lack a champion and that evil shall not thrive unopposed." The Citizen Publishing and Printing Company, established in 1923 by Eugene Donovan was the oldest . . . — Map (db m50078) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — Award of Excellence KTLA-TV
Award of Excellence KTLA-TV The first television station west of the Mississippi, KTLA-5 has been a part of Los Angeles broadcasting since January 22, 1947. — Map (db m32469) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — The Hollywood Reporter
The first entertainment trade paper founded in Hollywood, California September 3, 1930 — Map (db m32462) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — 12 — Warner Pacific Theatre
Built by Warner Bros. in 1928 to be the crown jewel of its West Coast theaters. Sam Warner oversaw construction but died before it was completed. His ghost is said to haunt the building. The Italian Renaissance exterior design theme is continued . . . — Map (db m125717) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — "Snowshoe" ThompsonA Pioneer Hero of the Sierras
Who for twenty winters carried the mail over the mountains to isolated camps, rescuing the lost and giving succor to those in need along the way. Born 1827 Died 1876 — Map (db m101465) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Special DeliveryAutry National Center — Griffith Park —
The Pony Express was an ultra-fast but short-lived mail service that ran between the East and West from 1860 to 1861. The roughly 1,900-mile route began in Missouri and passed through Wyoming and Utah before crossing the Sierra Nevada mountain . . . — Map (db m76323) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Daniel O. McCarthyA Gallant Pioneer of  ’49
This fountain is a Memorial to the Gallant Pioneers of  ’49 of whom Daniel O. McCarthy, patriot, miner, leader, was an outstanding example. He was born [in] Raleigh, N.C., August 24, 1830. Died Los Angeles, August 13, 1919. Through his . . . — Map (db m101457) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 744 — Historical Site
This block is the site of: First brick school house in Los Angeles known as School No. 1, built 1854-1855; Butterfield Overland Mail Company office and corral, 1858-1861; Office of U.S. Quartermaster, 1861; Corral for camels from Fort Tejon, . . . — Map (db m123038) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 789 — Los Angeles Star
Southern California's first newspaper, The Los Angeles Star, was founded in this block on May 17, 1851 and for many years exerted a major influence upon this part of the state. Suspended temporarily from 1864 to 1868, it continued later as an . . . — Map (db m125413) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Student Media — USC — University of Southern California —
Ever since USC was founded, its students have sought ways to have their say. The earliest student publication, The College Review, dates back to 1884, only four years after USC was established. A slim monthly magazine, it lasted only the . . . — Map (db m129532) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Teaching and Learning — USC — University of Southern California —
If USC’s earliest students could travel through time to today’s university, they would probably find the changes inside the classrooms even more astounding than the transformation of the campus. Confined to a rigid academic program that included . . . — Map (db m128480) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Rancho Palos Verdes — Point Vicente Lighthouse
The site was explored by Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo on Oct. 9, 1542, and named Pointe Vicente Bante Maria by Captain George Vancouver in 1793. Placed in service by the U.S. Lighthouse Service on May 1, 1926, it was renamed Point Vicente by the Pacific . . . — Map (db m82001) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Redondo Beach — Space ParkAIAA Historic Aerospace Site
Beginning in 1961, at what was then the Ramo-Wooldridge Corporation, the dedicated employees of Space Park designed and built more than 100 of the world's most technically challenging satellites, rocket engines and astronomical observatories. . . . — Map (db m141124) HM
California (Marin County), Inverness — AT&T & RCA Receiving StationsShip-to-Shore Communication
The remaining antenna fields and buildings in front of you were established by two cutting-edge worldwide communications companies in 1931. American Telephone and Telegraph (AT&T) radio-telephone station KMI provided two-way voice services between . . . — Map (db m102641) HM
California (Marin County), Inverness — Providing Global CommunicationsPoint Reyes Receiving Station
The Radio Corporation of America (RCA) wireless stations on the Point Reyes Peninsula were know as the "Wireless Giant of the Pacific." The station locations and cutting-edge wireless technology developed by the company under the leadership of . . . — Map (db m102643) HM
California (Marin County), Marshall — Beryl and Leonard Buck Hall
Originally constructed for the American Marconi Company, the powerhouse, a 2900 square foot concrete structure, housed the stations transformer, boiler, batteries and workshop. The Marshall Station, in conjunction with the Bolinas Station, made . . . — Map (db m73755) HM
California (Marin County), Novato — Novato History Museum
This building was the home of the first Novato Post Office - February 2, 1856. Maintained by Novato Historical Guild. — Map (db m102582) HM
California (Marin County), Novato — Postmaster's House815 De Long Avenue
The Postmaster's House, one of the oldest structures in Novato, was built circa 1850 and was originally located on South Novato Blvd west of Yukon Way. The earliest known occupant was Henry Jones, who began Novato's postal service in 1856 and served . . . — Map (db m102594) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — The “Harbor Light”
Built ca. 1922 after an earlier building was destroyed in the 1921 fire that burned most of downtown Tiburon. This two-story structure originally held a billiards hall and soft drink parlor which is believed to have operated as an illegal saloon . . . — Map (db m69201) HM
California (Mariposa County), Coulterville — Coulterville
George W. Coulter started a Tent Store here, early in 1850 to supply hundreds of miners working the rich placers of Maxwell, Boneyard and Black Creeks. The settlement was called Banderita, from the flag flying over Coulters store. A postoffice . . . — Map (db m5955) HM
California (Mendocino County), Boonville — Boontling: The Lingo of Boonville
Storekeeper, W.W. Boone settled in Southern Anderson Valley among families that brought the Scottish and Midwestern patterns of speech in the mid 1890’s. Young men picked hops, sheared sheep, and displayed marvelous whit, cleverness, and . . . — Map (db m64259) HM
California (Mendocino County), Ukiah — Ukiah Telephone Exchange
On June, 28, 1897 Ukiah became the 118th telephone exchange in California, when the Sunset Telephone Company started providing service. Minnie Smith Scott was the first manager and operator. Female operators were fondly called "Hello Girls", There . . . — Map (db m96477) HM
California (Merced County), Los Banos — Guglielmo Marconi1874 - 1937
Who giving voice to silence benefitted the world irradiating a new glorious light upon Italy I Figli D'Italia of Los Banos Devoted to their great country of adoption but unforgetful of their mother country, in perpetual . . . — Map (db m41187) HM
California (Mono County), Bridgeport — Bridgeport Chronicle-Union
On this site stood the original office of the Bridgeport Chronicle - Union newspaper. In 1880, while still publishing the "Bodie Chronicle", the Folger Brothers, Robert and Alex, started the "Bridgeport Union". The first number of the Bridgeport . . . — Map (db m37622) HM
California (Mono County), Topaz — Topaz Post Office
Near this location, records show establishment of a post office at Topaz, Mono County, California, February 20, 1885. Discontinued in 1922, it was re-established in June, 1926. Nearby could also be found a school, way-station, blacksmith shop, and . . . — Map (db m50086) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — Chaplain Walter Colton, U.S.N., 1787-1851
This hall started in 1847, completed in 1848, was named after its builder Chaplain Walter Colton, U.S.N., 1787-1851 Congregational Minister, historian, author, and editor, who served as alcalde at Monterey from 28 July 1846 to 1 October . . . — Map (db m63328) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — First Newspaper in California
Walter Colton and Robert Semple began publication of The Californian August 15, 1846 in the old Cuartel on this site — Map (db m63480) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — Griffin Plaza
Honoring Allen Griffin, 1893-1981, founder and publisher of the Monterey Peninsula Herald for his outstanding contributions to the City of Monterey. Allen Griffin was the vital force in founding the History and Art Association, the . . . — Map (db m63509) HM
California (Monterey County), Pacific Grove — Point Pinos Lighthouse Oil House
“The Oil House” ***************************** The structure you see before you is a fuel storage house commonly referred to as an ‘oil house’. This oil house was constructed in 1899. In the 1880’s, before the conversion to . . . — Map (db m63689) HM
California (Napa County), Napa — Napa - Birthplace of the Loudspeaker and the Magnavox Corp.
Peter Jensen and Edwin Pridham's invention occurred at 1606 F St. in May of 1915. This statue, unveiled on May 18, 1985 is the work of Napa sculptor Franco Vianello — Map (db m91327) HM
California (Nevada County), French Corral — 247 — The First Long Distance Telephone
Commemorating The First Long Distance Telephone In the World Built in 1877, by the Ridge Telephone Co, it connected French Corral with French Lake 58 miles away. It was operated by the Milton Mining Co from this building which was built . . . — Map (db m40210) HM
California (Nevada County), Norden — McGlashan Point
Dedicated August 10, 1986 in honor of Charles Fayette McGlashan 1847-1931 Truckee’s patriarch, historian, author, editor, attorney, legislator, inventor, entomologist and astronomer. His last public address was given in 1926 at . . . — Map (db m81893) HM
California (Nevada County), North Columbia — Alvin Stevens Trivelpiece1903 - 1967
Californian, Clamper, Nevada County historian, newspaperman, friend and founding father of the Malakoff State Park in whose memory these benches were placed. — Map (db m43689) HM
California (Nevada County), Soda Springs — Snowshoe Thompson
A hero of the Sierra Nevada Mountains! Probably the first skier of the West. This Viking son of Norway, exemplified the spirit of a true pioneer. Strong, daring, faithful and courageous he was the answer to California’s motto “Bring Me . . . — Map (db m60514) HM
California (Orange County), Yorba Linda — 1015 — Richard Nixon Birthplace"I was born in a house my father built." — President Richard Nixon (1913-1994) —
In 1912 Frank and Hannah Nixon built this modest farmhouse on their small citrus ranch. Here Richard Nixon was born, January 9, 1913, and spent his first nine years. He served his country as Congressman, U.S. Senator, Vice President, and 37th . . . — Map (db m50342) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Auburn Post OfficeHistorical Landmark
. . . — Map (db m12358) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Placer Press
Historical Landmark Nearby in this area 1850’s Placer Press paper 1855 to 1858 Above the pioneer livery stable Temple Saloon & Post-Office 1853 — Map (db m44088) HM
California (Placer County), Colfax — Colfax RecordLot 14 Bl 4 Crocker to Kohn & Kind -22 July 1865
Established Nov. 26, 1908 This office built 1930 ————— Plaque in Memory of Pat Jones, Historian Writer – Colfax Record 1961-1983 Author – The Colfax Connection Donor – Printing Press . . . — Map (db m45167) HM
California (Placer County), Lincoln — Fleming Building
Erected in 1863 – 1864 By John Ziegenbein as a general store Sold to Herman Lohse 1879; to George Aldrich 1881; To A.C. Fleming (& Alex Hemphill) in 1888 Bank of Lincoln, Lincoln’s first bank, here 1902 – 1911 U.S. Post . . . — Map (db m17784) HM
California (Placer County), Roseville — Roseville Tribune and Register Building
Built in 1915 as Roseville''s first funeral parlor.

Acquired in 1924 by the Brill family to house the Roseville Register-Tribune our local newspaper until 1947.

Operated from 1947-1998 as Roseville Printing. Acquired in 1998 by Donald . . . — Map (db m135935) HM

California (Plumas County), La Porte — Frank D. Everts
. . . — Map (db m56321) HM
California (Plumas County), Quincy — Feather Publishing Co.
. . . — Map (db m56551) HM
California (Riverside County), Corona — 188 — Site of Butterfield Stage Station
Where mail was delivered, horses changed and passengers given rest and a meal. First stage carrying overland mail left Tipton, Missouri on Sept. 15, 1858 and, passing through Temescal arrived in Los Angeles onOct. 7, 1858. First dedicated by . . . — Map (db m82155) HM
California (Riverside County), Indio — 116 — Dr. June Robertson McCarroll
Dr. June Robertson McCarroll was born June 30, 1867 in the Adirondacks and began her medical career in Chicago. She left a promising practice for Indio in 1904. Becoming the sole practicing physician for the entire Coachella Valley. She traveled by . . . — Map (db m78540) HM
California (Riverside County), Palm Springs — HSPB-9 — Lykken’s Department Store
Desert pioneer, Carl Lykken, built the first general store in the village in 1914. For many years it contained the only telephone and the post office. The store was remodeled with the existing overhang and arches when sidewalks were installed in the . . . — Map (db m52734) HM
California (Sacramento County), Folsom — 702 — Folsom Pony Express Terminus
Gold Rush and Railroad town Folsom became the Western Terminus of the Central Overland Pony Express on July 1, 1860. The express mail had been run by pony to and from Sacramento. Beginning on July 1, 1860, the Sacramento Valley Railroad carried it . . . — Map (db m5090) HM
California (Sacramento County), Folsom — J. Clifton Toney
In Memory of J. Clifton Toney Publisher of the Folsom Telegraph 1962 – 1976 His vision resulted in the Development of the Sutter Street Mall — Map (db m14378) HM
California (Sacramento County), Rancho Cordova — Pony Express Riders Memorial
To the memory of the riders of the Pony Express, 1860-1861 First relay station out of Sutter's Fort. Dedicated April 19, 1936 by the Native Sons and Daughters of the Golden West. — Map (db m61348) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — 780 — First Transcontinental Railroad Groundbreaking Site
At this location on January 8, 1863, Governor Stanford surrounded by politicians and locals, announced the start of the United States’ first transcontinental railroad. You are standing at Mile Marker 0, the origin of the Central Pacific Railroad . . . — Map (db m149177) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — The Pony Express
This statue commemorates the glory of The Pony Express, which started here at 2:45 a.m. on April 4, 1860, when Sam Hamilton galloped into a blinding rainstorm on the first lap of the 1,966-mile trip to St. Joseph, Missouri. During its 18-month . . . — Map (db m11326) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Tony's Corner
Anthony J. "Tony" Monti sold newspapers on this corner for 35 years. He lost a leg in an accident early in life and sold newspapers here day and night to support his mother and sister. All of the Governors of the State of California from 1915 to . . . — Map (db m27236) HM
California (Sacramento County), Walnut Grove — Delta Transmission Towers/Delta Cross Channel Gates
Delta Transmission Towers The Delta area is home to four separate transmission towers which provide reception for television and radio stations serving the residents of Northern California. Three of the towers rival some of the tallest . . . — Map (db m37390) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Earp — 82 — Wyatt Earp
Wyatt Earp was born in Illinois March 19, 1848. In 1864 he came west with his family, settling near San Bernardino. He later served as lawman in Wichita and Dodge City, then came to Tombstone in 1879. After the gunfight at the O.K. Corral in 1881, . . . — Map (db m78569) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Upland — George Chaffey, Jr.1848–1932
Man of Vision Land, Water and Power Father of The Model Colony Sponsored by Upland Sister Cities Association. Upland's Sister City Mildura, Australia, was founded by George and W.B. Chaffey. John Edward Svenson, FNSS . . . — Map (db m168) HM
California (San Diego County), El Cajon — Amaziah Lord Knox1833-1918
Founder of Knox's Corners, later the City of El Cajon Owner of community's first business, the Knox Hotel on the southwest corner of Main and Magnolia; first Postmaster, County roadmaster; charter member of California's International Order of . . . — Map (db m54383) HM
California (San Diego County), El Cajon — Historic El Cajon Hall̴ 1894 ̴
This building has also served as newspaper office, a bank, telephone company, a lodge, Farmers Institute and a meat market. Purchased by the Weinstock family and served as an appliance and radio store 1932 Purchased & restored by . . . — Map (db m54384) HM
California (San Diego County), Julian — 304 — Vallecito Stage Station
A reconstruction (1934) of Vallecito Stage Station built in 1852 at the edge of the Great Colorado Desert. It was an important stop on the first official transcontinental route, serving the San Diego-San Antonio ('Jackass') mail line (1857-1859), . . . — Map (db m51579) HM
California (San Diego County), Oak Grove — 502 — Oak Grove Stage Station
Occupied in 1858 by Warren Hall, Divison Superintendent, Butterfield Overland Mail which operated between San Francisco and the eastern termini, St. Louis and Memphis, from September 15, 1858 to March 2, 1861. The first mail stage from the east . . . — Map (db m51093) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Birthplace of The San Diego Union
A pioneer newspaper of California Founded October 10, 1868 — Map (db m11661) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Birthplace of The San Diego Union
. . . — Map (db m11664) HM
California (San Diego County), Santee — KCBQ “Top 40” Personalities1958 to 1978
[ Upper Plaque: ] In 1958, here at 9416 Mission Gorge Road, then owner Lee Bartell built the KCBQ AM 1170 radio broadcast facility with its 50,000 watt transmitter and six two-hundred foot towers. For many years, KCBQ AM 1170 was San . . . — Map (db m35120) HM
California (San Diego County), Warner Springs — 311 — Warner Ranch House
In 1844, Gov. Manuel Micheltorena granted 44,322 acres to Juan Jose Warner who built this house. Gen. Kearny passed here in 1846; Mormon Battalion in 1847. First Butterfield Stage stopped at this ranch on Oct. 6, 1858 enroute from Tipton, Mo. to San . . . — Map (db m51084) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Alan Turing(1912-1954) — Rainbow Honor Walk —
British cryptanalyst, logician, philosopher and mathematician widely recognized as a pioneer of artificial intelligence and the father of computer science Alan TuringMap (db m98105) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Brannan Street
This marker consists of six plaques arranged in a 2 X 3 pattern. The top left plaque is the title plaque and may contain some text. The top right plaque displayed an arrow which points in the direction of the named street. Other plaques contain . . . — Map (db m72551) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — California Star
On this site January 9, 1847 the California Star, the first newspaper in San Francisco, was published by Samuel Brannan — Map (db m71460) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — 941 — Farnsworth's Green Street Lab
In a simple laboratory on this site, 202 Green Street, Philo Taylor Farnsworth, U.S. pioneer in electronics,invented and patented the first operational all-electronic "television system" on September 7, 1927. The 21 year-old inventor and several . . . — Map (db m20900) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Herb Caen Way
Herb Caen published his first column in the San Francisco Chronicle July 5, 1938; he won the Pulitzer Prize in 1996. His last weekday column appeared January 10, 1997 when he moved to the San Francisco Examiner in 1950, 30,000 . . . — Map (db m73492) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — 141 — Home Telephone Company
This historic building originally served as the headquarters of the Home Telephone Company, San Francisco’s first telephone exchange site. Built 1908 Original Architect Coxhead and Coxhead . . . — Map (db m71944) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Marina Air FieldStanley Hiller Jr.
There are two markers mounted on opposite sides of the flagpole base in the Marina Green This plaque marks the site of the Marina Air Field The first terminus of the United States Post Office Dept. Trans-Continental Air . . . — Map (db m70028) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Navigating the Golden Gate - Bonfires, buoys, and foghorns
Deep channels make San Francisco’s remarkable harbor accessible to immense ships. On the other hand, a narrow entrance, swift currents, high winds, rocks, and fog make navigating the Golden Gate treacherous. Early mariners looked for on-shore . . . — Map (db m48641) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Officer Jane Warner
Jane Warner spent two decades keeping the peace in the city's Castro, Noe Valley and Mission neighborhoods as a San Francisco Patrol Special Police Officer. To her many friends, she was simply known as "Officer Jane". She was dedicated not only . . . — Map (db m64229) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Pacific States BuildingBuilding 1905
Headquarters of Pacific Telephone and Telegraph Company Category I Historically Significant — Map (db m71945) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Pony Express
The first Pony Express rider to reach San Francisco on the final relay carrying mail from St. Joseph, Missouri to California, arrived in this city Apr. 14, 1860 aboard the River Str. ‘Antelope’. Led by a band and several engine companies, a . . . — Map (db m84866) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Pony Express Wharf
Nearby was the location of the Broadway Wharf. The wharf extended from Broadway and Davis Streets east to this location. All of the Pony Express mail that was delivered to and from San Francisco used this wharf. The Pony Express ran from April 3, . . . — Map (db m63717) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Randy Shilts(1951-1994) — Rainbow Honor Walk —
Influential author and journalist, the first openly gay reporter to cover LGBT issues for American mainstream media Randy ShiltsMap (db m98161) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — 91 — Telegraph Hill
During Gold Rush days a look-out stationed in a structure on this spot observed and signalled (sic) the arrival of incoming vessels. By adjusting movable arms high on a tall pole and by hoisting national colors, he identified the nature of the ship . . . — Map (db m143441) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — 696 — Western Headquarters of Russell, Majors, and Waddell
This was the site of the western business headquarters of Russell, Majors, and Waddell -- founders, owners, and operators of the Pony Express, 1860-1861. The firm's main office was in Leavenworth, Kansas. W.W. Finney was the western representative . . . — Map (db m33775) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — William Randolph Hearst1863 – 1951
Founder of Hearst Newspapers began his newspaper publishing career with the San Francisco Examiner on March 4, 1887. Announcing:“The Examiner with this issue, has become the exclusive property of William R. Hearst, the son of its former . . . — Map (db m71869) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Lockeford — 365 — Pioneer Hill / Lockeford
Pioneer Hill It was on this hill that Dr. Dean Jewett Locke and his brother Elmer H. Locke built the first cabin of this section in 1851. Disturbed by grizzly bears, they spent their first nights in the oak trees. Dr. Locke, physician for the . . . — Map (db m143490) HM
California (San Luis Obispo County), San Luis Obispo — J. P. Andrews BuildingCity of San Luis Obispo Historic Building
On this site, the storied original Andrews Hotel stood. The grand opening of that remarkable structure was celebrated July 3, 1885. Nine and one half months later, on Palm Sunday, April 18, 1886 it burned to the ground. On the ashes, the present . . . — Map (db m16502) HM
California (San Mateo County), Colma — Colma City HallErected 1936 – 1940
Architect Resing & Mc Ginnes Contractor H.H. Smith ** Incorporated as Lawndale In Aug. 1924. The Town’s name was changed to Colma in Nov. 1941 Originally the Town Hall served as a traffic court, post office, health dept. and . . . — Map (db m18401) HM
California (San Mateo County), Half Moon Bay — Joseph Debenedetti Building
The decade of the 1870’s saw an influx of European immigrants into the Half Moon Bay area and over to the coast. Irish, German, Italian, and Portuguese made up the majority of the newcomers whose numbers included merchants, business people, dairy . . . — Map (db m13747) HM
California (San Mateo County), San Carlos — San Carlos Depot
Erected 1888 Deeded as use as a railroad depot by John W. Brittan Site of the first San Carlos Telegraph Post Office and Library An Historical Site Dedicated 1976 — Map (db m41451) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Hollister — Bell Station
A toll road was built over Pacheco Pass in 1857 by Andrew D. Firebaugh. Later in that same year he built a tavern near this site, which became a Butterfield transcontinental stage stop. In 1859 the Pacific and Atlantic Company built a telegraph line . . . — Map (db m54036) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — 976 — Birthplace of “Silicon Valley”
This garage is the birthplace of the world’s first high-technology region, “Silicon Valley.” The idea for such a region originated with Dr. Frederick Terman, a Stanford university professor who encouraged his students to start up their . . . — Map (db m3402) HM

2138 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 1938
Paid Advertisement
May. 26, 2020