Founder of Prattville
Daniel Pratt, a native of New Hampshire, became an industrialist, statesman and philanthropist in Alabama. He was a Methodist in both heart and practice. He encourage the development of the . . . — — Map (db m70813) HM
First Presbyterian Church of Prattville, Alabama
Organized 1846 by Pastor Wm. H. Mitchell, this congregation succeeded Millenium Hope Presbyterian, 2 mi. E. of town. Pastor Jas. K. Hazen (1861-77) married Mary Ticknor, . . . — — Map (db m81479) HM
Known as Fair Road, Sixth Street from Northington Street to the big curve was called “Happy Hollow”. The road went to the Fair home place but also curved right, into Warren Circle. Here stood a small frame church where the congregation’s . . . — — Map (db m70800) HM
Indian Springs Post Office
Location of considerable Community activity in the early nineteenth-century Autauga County
Thomas Hill House
Site of first Court after Autauga became a County
Union Baptist Meeting House
1830s . . . — — Map (db m70798) HM
Saint Mark's was organized in 1859 as a mission of the Diocese of Alabama. Services were first held at the Presbyterian Church and in the old Court House. In December 1876, the congregation purchased an old wooden frame chapel from the Methodists . . . — — Map (db m70801) HM
This church and cemetery have been in continuous service by the citizens of this area since the 1840's. Originally named "Methodist Episcopal Church South." Land donated by William L. Howard. Building built by L. E. Edmondson and a Creole helper, . . . — — Map (db m49260) HM
On April 15, 1867, Major Lewis Starke deeded these two acres to four of his ex-slaves and their heirs as trustees for this church: Nimrod Lovett, Stamford Starlin (now Sterling), Narcis Elwa, and Benjamin Franklin.
In this cemetery is buried . . . — — Map (db m100851) HM
(Obverse): First Alabama soldier to lose life in Civil War.
DeVotie graduated in 1856 from University of Alabama; Presbyterian Theological Seminary at Princeton in 1859. In 1856 at the University of Alabama, he was chief founder of Sigma . . . — — Map (db m4219) HM
This Shell Banks Baptist Church rests near the location of the first Indian village in America visited by a white man. This was the Indian village of “Achuse” visited by Admiral Maldonado who was one of De Soto’s officers. He scouted . . . — — Map (db m66295) HM
First known as Baldwin Presbyterian Church, members met in 1847, in Old Union Church near John Gallagher Springs. In 1903, the membership was moved to this site and the name was changed to Stockton Presbyterian Church. In 1956, the membership moved . . . — — Map (db m66387) HM
In 1828, Reverend John Wesley Norton left his native South Carolina with his family and a wagon train of followers, crossed into the Creek Indian Nation and just into the edge of what was then Pike County, settling near the . . . — — Map (db m78123) HM
This church had its origins in a mission station established by the Rev. J. L. Gay in 1844. On May 10, 1872 the mission was formally accepted in the Diocese of Alabama as Grace Church. Construction of a church building began in 1875 on a lot owned . . . — — Map (db m60756) HM
Church founded in 1835 and rebuilt in 1947. Union Baptist Church is the second oldest Baptist church in Barbour County.
In memory of Reverend John L. Dowling.
Loving husband and father. — — Map (db m60800) HM
Barbour County’s “Little Scotland”
In the 1820’s before the Creek Indian Cession, Scot immigrants from Richmond County, North Carolina, settled this area of west Barbour County. Few other regions outside the motherland of . . . — — Map (db m89605) HM
The origins of this church date back to 1834 when Methodists, under the leadership of Jesse Burch and others, met to worship and formed a Sunday School. A frame Greek Revival edifice, at the corner of Livingston and Barbour Streets, was completed in . . . — — Map (db m75188) HM
Irwinton Baptist Church was constituted on June 24, 1837. The name of the town changed to Eufaula in 1843, and consequently the name of the church became Eufaula Baptist Church. The church assumed its third name in 1869 when it was changed to First . . . — — Map (db m46237) HM
In 1836 sixteen Eufaula Presbyterians met in a room above William McKenzie’s store to hold worship services. By 1838 the congregation had built their first sanctuary dedicated to worship on the southeast corner of Forsyth Ave. and Union Street. . . . — — Map (db m60560) HM
(Front): First known as White Oak Chapel this church was dedicated on October, 18, 1859 by Rev. Issac I. Tatum of the Alabama Conference Methodist Episcopal Church South. The Society was organized by Rev. John J. Cassady who served as pastor . . . — — Map (db m82873) HM
First minister assigned to Alabama Territory by Tennessee Conference. Preached first sermon two blocks west at Bear Meat Cabin (present Blountsville) April 18, 1818. He later organized churches in Shelby, St. Clair, Jefferson, Tuscaloosa and Cotaco . . . — — Map (db m27991) HM
William M. Bailey (born 1859 in Cherokee Co.; died 1909 in Blount Co.) settled 40 acres on what became Co. Rd 36 to the west and New Home Church Rd to the east in 1893. He brought three small sons from Cherokee Co. after the death of his first wife . . . — — Map (db m42599) HM
Lacking an established church nearby, pioneer families of the Fitzpatrick community into the mid-19th century took turns hosting worship services in their homes on Sunday mornings. "The Church of the Seven Sisters" was established in 1858 by seven . . . — — Map (db m67158) HM
The Macedonia Baptist Church, located between the communities of Midway and Mt. Coney, was constructed by freedmen after the American Civil War, replacing the brush arbors used by the area’s antebellum slaves as sites for religious worship. Four . . . — — Map (db m60947) HM
Midway, a part of Barbour County in the mid-19th century, was also known as Five Points, a small community of a handful of dwellings, two stores, and a Methodist church of logs. In this Methodist church, Joel Willis, J.M. Thornton, Robert G. Hall, . . . — — Map (db m60908) HM
St. James Christian Methodist Episcopal Church founded by Reverend Jack McMillan, a former slave of Midway’s Daniel McMillan. Initially meeting outdoors under a brush arbor, ex-slaves and their children constructed a wood-frame church building soon . . . — — Map (db m60909) HM
Founded by settlers from Virginia, Georgia, and Carolinas. Building erected 1856. It was the central feature of the village of Mount Hilliard. Named in honor of Henry W. Hilliard -- who debated William L. Yancey in the 1850's. Revivals held at . . . — — Map (db m67553) HM
Settlers from the Edgefield District, South Carolina, organized the Sardis Baptist Church on June 10, 1837. The first building, a log cabin, was constructed in 1841 after John M. and his wife Amy Youngblood Dozier deeded four and . . . — — Map (db m67552) HM
Trinity Episcopal Church was established in Union Springs by Rev. DeBerniere Waddell in 1872 as a parish of the Episcopal Diocese of Alabama with seventeen communicants and an annual budget of $412.50. Until 1879 services were held monthly in the . . . — — Map (db m60973) HM
In March 1863 Francis and Sarah Sheppard gave 3 acres of land to Methodist Episcopal Church South as a place for worship and burial. 2 more acres given by Alexander and Mary Sheppard Oct. 1868. Property sold to County Line Primitive Baptist Church . . . — — Map (db m70838) HM
The community of Oakey Streak was so named for the abundance of oak trees in the immediate vicinity. From 1829-1843 the post office here was known as Middletown and from 1853-1935 Oakey Streak. Nearby was the . . . — — Map (db m70757) HM
Called “A poem in cedar & stone,” its history is intimately related to that of Anniston: Town Founders, Daniel Tyler & Samuel Noble, inspired its conception, funded its construction & caused Woodstock Iron Co. to donate the land on which . . . — — Map (db m35759) HM
On July 3, 1887, a congregation of 45 people met at the Opera House on Noble Street to organize a new church. Originally called Second Baptist Church, the name soon was changed to Twelfth Street Baptist Church.
In 1889, it became Parker . . . — — Map (db m36545) HM
Built by John Ward Noble, one of Anniston’s founders. Consecrated on September 29, 1890. Widely acclaimed for unique and beautiful Norman Gothic architecture. The church dominated by imposing 95 foot bell tower.
Open Daily — — Map (db m36540) HM
Seventeenth Street Missionary Baptist Church served as the home of "mass meetings" for black Annistonians who planned and executed Anniston's part of the Civil Rights Movement. Reverends D.C. Washington (1937-1960) and Nimrod Q. Reynolds (1960-2008) . . . — — Map (db m106651) HM
Temple Beth El is the oldest building continuously used for Jewish worship in Alabama. Anniston’s Reform Jewish congregation was established in 1888. Its women’s organization, the Ladies Hebrew Benevolent Society, directed the construction of the . . . — — Map (db m36543) HM
In April 1888, the founder of a newly established Reform Jewish congregation purchased twenty-three lots in Hillside Cemetery to bury their deceased members.
In 1987, the City of Anniston vacated right-of-way that allowed the Temple to expand the . . . — — Map (db m53163) HM
The First Presbyterian Church of Piedmont was organized March 18, 1890, with seventeen charter members, by Rev. B. F. Bedinger, Presbyterian evangelist. Rev. J. E. McLean was the first minister. First elders were C. W. McMahon and Stephen Ferguson; . . . — — Map (db m27993) HM
Beginning as a Methodist mission in the 1850's, the Piedmont First United Methodist Church was organized in 1867 as the Cross Plains Methodist Episcopal Church, South, by Wilson Johnson and a small band of local Methodists. In 1868 a small church . . . — — Map (db m83261) HM
This structure was built by early settlers from Virginia, Tennessee, and the Carolinas, and subsequently modified. The original building has stood since 1836.
Union Sunday School begun here in 1891. Many eminent ministers have filled the . . . — — Map (db m83264) HM
Providence Baptist Church was organized before 1836 by Elder Francis Calloway. It was one of the ten charter churches of the East Liberty Baptist Association. The small white frame church was built during the ministry of Reverend . . . — — Map (db m83265) HM
Built 1916 by West Point Mfg. Co. and called Fairfax “Union” Church as it was shared by Disciples of Christ, Methodist, & Baptist groups. It was purchased by the Disciples of Christ after the others left to build their . . . — — Map (db m83266) HM
Arthur Love, a charter member, was first pastor. Organized as a Methodist Episcopal Church. Became Methodist Protestant, 1828. Changed to Methodist Church, 1939. Affiliated with United Methodist, 1968. In the original church built of logs, Judge . . . — — Map (db m83268) HM
This structure is an excellent example of the one-room Gothic Revival - style church buildings which once were built throughout the South. It was originally located on a three-acre site that was deeded to trustees W. A. D. Ramsey, G. W. Brand, and . . . — — Map (db m37615) HM
Cavalry engagement here among fiercest of war.
To defend arsenal at Selma Forrest (CSA) charged with 1500 into Wilson (USA) moving south with 7500.
Forrest was seeking to delay Wilson pending arrival of scattered (CSA) units.
Forrest in . . . — — Map (db m37617) HM
The only community in the U.S. so designated, Verbena was named for the profuse wild flowers growing in the area. Settlers arrived in the area as early as 1832. Completion of the North-South Railroad and a train depot at Verbena in 1870 enabled . . . — — Map (db m68286) HM
First church building of record in Clarke County.
Erected here in 1810 by John French of Virginia,
who organized Methodist congregation here 1811.
Combined with Gainestown Church 1897. — — Map (db m101575) HM
Founded by the CME (Christian Methodist Episcopal) Church as the only school for black students in the area in the early 1900’s, Williams’ Temple eventually consolidated with another school in Booker City to form Miles College . . . — — Map (db m101596) HM
Originally home to Creek and Choctaw Indians, Whatley was first settled by pioneers about 1808. Some of the most famous events in Clarke County’s history happened in or near Whatley. A Creek War battle occurred here in 1812 at Fort . . . — — Map (db m110971) HM
Established 1858, ¼ mile east of here. Camp meetings were held in summers. Congregation moved to site near Peniel 1894. The "arbor" and church building were left at original site. These buildings convenient for annual encampment of county . . . — — Map (db m101579) HM
Union Baptist Church. later named the First Baptist Church of Ashland, was founded with 23 charter members in 1865, six years before the town was incorporated. Members met in a log cabin in the southwestern part of Ashland. From . . . — — Map (db m95101) HM
The first congregational meetings were held in a small former dwelling house.
In 1915 this congregation joined with the Alabama District of The Assemblies of God. First pastors were: Rev. Elijah Spence and Rev. Wayne Tomlin.
First deacons . . . — — Map (db m95357) HM
A congregation of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South existed in Elba even before Rev. Robert Shaw Rabb was assigned as the first minister to the Elba Circuit on December 15, 1853. This site was purchased in 1909 and the Church officially opened . . . — — Map (db m83274) HM
Organized in 1883 by 13 charter members as Carmichael Chapel of Elba Circuit, the congregation originally worshipped in a brush arbor on the NW corner of N. Main and Lee Streets. The first two sanctuaries built in 1883 and 1893 were both located on . . . — — Map (db m54745) HM
Founded near Double Bridges Creek (LeCompte Place) three miles southwest of the present location. First Pastor: J. W. Bullard. Charter members: Mr. & Mrs. Thomas Mathis, Mr. & Mrs. Tom Barbee, Mr. & Mrs. Jack Nichols, Mr. & Mrs. Joe Jones, Mr. Bob . . . — — Map (db m83327) HM
The town of Leighton was named in honor of the Reverend William Leigh, son and grandson of Revolutionary War veterans. He was born in Amelia County Virginia, Oct 4, 1790 and moved to Alabama about 1823. Leigh settled nearby . . . — — Map (db m106112) HM
This congregation was organized in July 1823 as Concord Church, later known as Union Church, then as Tuscumbia Baptist. Jeremiah Burns was the first pastor. It began meeting at this site about 1845 in a plain wooden building. The New England-style . . . — — Map (db m28564) HM
First Presbyterian Church was organized April 13, 1824, by Scots-Irish settlers. The sanctuary, erected in 1827, is the oldest in continuous use in Alabama. Its Georgian Gothic style remains essentially unchanged. The brick walls . . . — — Map (db m40429) HM
This congregation was organized in the 1830's, with services being held in private homes and the Methodist meeting house. The present building was first used in October 1852 and completed the following year. During the Civil War, Union troops . . . — — Map (db m28422) HM
The Louise Short Baptist Widows’ and Orphans’ Home, consisting of a 10-room brick residence and related buildings on 80 acres of land fronted on Main Street, Evergreen, for more than ¼ mile.
It was established by the Alabama Baptist State . . . — — Map (db m81293) HM
In the fall of 1817 Reverend Alexander Travis settled his affairs in South Carolina and immigrated to Conecuh County, where, in the spring of 1818, Beulah Baptist Church was constituted. In rapid succession, Travis’ firm resolve and his devotion to . . . — — Map (db m86270) HM
The church was organized March 15, 1845, in the home of George Brown. The organizing council consisted of Alexander Travis, Keidar Hawthorne, J.J. Sessions. Charter members were George and Mary Brown, Elbert and Louisa Joiner, . . . — — Map (db m81290) HM
Doctor Reverend Hillary James Hawkins, who was affectionately known throughout the community as “Brown,” dedicated most of his adult life to providing spiritual guidance to blacks in Evergreen and surrounding . . . — — Map (db m81292) HM
Peace & Goodwill Cemetery is Coosa County's first African American Cemetery to be placed on the prestigious Alabama Historic Cemetery Register. It provides powerful insights about the diligence and commitment of our African Ancestors. Family . . . — — Map (db m64587) HM
Constituted in 1833 about 1 mile northwest of this location with 10 charter members. The Church was admitted to the Conecuh River Baptist Association in November 1833. In 1863, the Church moved to this location on land bought from Benjamin Dorman . . . — — Map (db m72055) HM
The Rutledge Primitive Baptist Church was built circa 1890, on land donated by Thomas Warren Shows and his family. The Rutledge Primitive Baptist Church was a member of the Ebenezer Primitive Baptist Association, which was formed in 1837. It was one . . . — — Map (db m72054) HM
The first church in the City of Cullman was established on this block of land donated by the North and South Railroad in February 1874. Lots 154, 155, and 181 were granted to Henry Dietz, August Henning, and George Stoback as trustees of the . . . — — Map (db m33841) HM
The first church at the town site of Cullman. Founded May 1, 1874, at the beginning of the second year of settlement.
An ethnic German church formed by immigrant families. Services held exclusively in the German language until 1932. In 1937, . . . — — Map (db m33840) HM
Early settlers to Cullman County established Shady Grove Methodist Episcopal Church as a brush arbor in the 1870s on land homesteaded and donated by Richard McCain. Trustees, J. J. McKissack, W. H. Martin, J. C. Vickery, J. W. Kilgo, together with . . . — — Map (db m34244) HM
Union Presbyterian Church
Organized by John Warnock, East Alabama Presbytery, September 1843, its mother church being Pea River Presbyterian (Barbour County). Founders, who migrated from Scotland to Argura, North . . . — — Map (db m71588) HM
Organized May 26, 1849
First Pastor: Ruben E. Brown
First Deacons: William P. Bryan, Jonas P. Bell
Charter Members: William Green, David Kelly, Kader Powell, Elizabeth Kelly, Ardilla Green, Winny Lacy, Bill Fowler, nancy Fowler
Bellwood, Cool . . . — — Map (db m39124) HM
Organized in 1898 under the Christian leadership of A. W. Tate and Newton Baptist Church. The property was later given to the Baptists of southeast Alabama, adopted by nine Baptist Associations. In 1907 Baptist State Convention agreed to accept . . . — — Map (db m79000) HM
Listed below are the known pastors of Peniel Baptist Church since its establishment about 1852. Middleton Brooks, S. Hargrove, W. A. Cumbie, Ransom C. Deal, Sr., R. Cass Deal, R. B. Arnold, J. W. Phillips, F. M. Shirah, M. A. . . . — — Map (db m71587) HM
Marker Front: The Beloit Industrial Institute was founded in 1888 by Industrial Missionary Association, an area subdivision of the American Missionary Associations. The President of the Association, Dr. Charles B. Curtis, was a Presbyterian . . . — — Map (db m83504) HM
St. Luke's Episcopal Church was built at Cahawba in 1854 but was dismantled and moved sometime after 1884 but before 1888. It was reassembled fifteen miles away in a rural community called Martin's Station. The raised outline before you indicates . . . — — Map (db m83510) HM
These ruins were once a place of worship for members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Built in 1849, it was the first single denomination church in Cahawba. An earlier church for the common use of all denominations was erected about 1840. . . . — — Map (db m112410) HM
St. Luke's was consecrated in 1854. It was an outstanding example of the Gothic Revival style, popular at the time. The contractor closely followed designs in a widely circulated book, Rural Architecture, published in 1852 by the celebrated . . . — — Map (db m75922) HM
Frank Orr and his brother, William, settled Orrville in the early 1800's with a very strong religious group of people. A church was soon organized and a place of worship was built on this site in 1846. The church was known as the Methodist Episcopal . . . — — Map (db m23003) HM
A Cumberland Presbyterian church named Mt. Pleasant was organized here about 1821 by Rev. William James Moor, a missionary from the Elk Presbytery of Tennessee. Renamed Mount Carmel in 1827, this church provided early leadership for the Ala. . . . — — Map (db m75777) HM
"Of all the nights of my experience, this is most like the horrors of war — a captured city burning at night, a victorious army advancing, and a demoralized one retreating. ...this Sunday night nearly gone, will be remembered. If there is a . . . — — Map (db m82744) HM
First Baptist was the first church in Selma to open its doors to members of the Dallas County Voters League as well as to young activists from the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee. From 1963 to 1965, under the leadership of Reverend M.C. . . . — — Map (db m112366) HM
The Selma-Montgomery March
"Bloody Sunday", March 7, 1965
He Fed the Hungry
"Unbossed and Unbought"
Women's Organizational Movement for Equality . . . — — Map (db m111689) HM
The shooting of Jimmie Lee Jackson in nearby Marion, Alabama, transformed Brown Chapel from a sanctuary into a staging area for the Selma march, In a passionate sermon SCLC worker James Bevel suggested making a pilgrimage to the State Capitol to . . . — — Map (db m112364) HM
Side A The original church, built one block south of the present site, was consecrated in 1843 by Bishop Leonidas Polk. In 1861, the second Bishop of Alabama, the Rt. Rev. Richard H. Wilmer, was elected there. During the Battle of Selma, St. . . . — — Map (db m37691) HM
In January 1885, Dr. Edward M. Brawley, President, Alabama Baptist Normal and Theological School (now Selma University) formed Tabernacle Baptist Church to be an integral part of the students' Christian formation and education. . . . — — Map (db m82034) HM
Tabernacle Baptist Church was founded in 1885, and in March of that year, the congregation purchased this site. Built in 1922 under the leadership of Dr. David Vivian Jemison, the current church features bricks from the original . . . — — Map (db m83677) HM
Side A The earliest Jewish settlers came to Selma prior to the Civil War, some as early as the 1830’s. A group of Jewish citizens assembled as the Mishkan Israel Congregation and began meeting in private homes in 1867. The congregation was . . . — — Map (db m37677) HM
By early 1964, the Dallas County Voters League (DCVL) and Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee's (SNCC) efforts to organize for voting rights had reached a turning point. In July 1964 Judge James Hare, pressured by Selma law enforcement to . . . — — Map (db m112369) HM
Established in 1816 by eight families from Rocky River Presbyterian Church in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina.
In 1859 this two-story brick building replaced original wooden structure.
Sanctuary and former slave gallery are on second . . . — — Map (db m83683) HM
Established circa 1819 as Childers Meeting House on land given by George Childers. Patent for the land was issued to George Childers March 16, 1819. This Methodist Church was later known as Childers Chapel. Church burned in 1842. Congregation . . . — — Map (db m37646) HM
Congregation was organized as early as 1837, first under the charge of Charles McLeod and next, Asbury H. Shanks. Contract for the present building was let October 23, 1844, and the building was dedicated on October 5, 1845. Greenberry Garrett was . . . — — Map (db m37647) HM
The mission was established in 1823 by the American Board of Missions to further education and Christianity among the Cherokee Indians. Mission operated until the Indian removal in 1838.
Grave site of Reverend Ard Hoyt, first superintendent, . . . — — Map (db m28035) HM
This notable Greek Revival structure was completed in the late 1840's on land donated by Eli Robinson. The congregation was established 1828-1830 and the first church, built of logs, was located c. 1 mile east of here. Charter members were: Rev. . . . — — Map (db m71178) HM
Baptists settlers scattered along the Coosa River Valley established the church May 26, 1821. For the first twenty years, it was mostly known as the Coosa River Baptist Church. Migrating members sought several locations for the . . . — — Map (db m83723) HM
Built, 1856, dedicated 1857, combining exterior Gothic style with Greek Revival interior. Original part designed as a rectangular block. Wings were added on eastern and western sides in the middle 1900's. At that time a choir rail replaced original . . . — — Map (db m67943) HM
Completed in 1854, this building was the third Methodist Church building erected in Wetumpka and served both black and white congregations. Transitional exterior and interior architecture features elegant simplicity of Greek revival styles. Interior . . . — — Map (db m83725) HM
A pre Civil War structure, this is the oldest church building remaining in Escambia County, Alabama. Confederate veterans related stories that mules and horses were sheltered inside during harsh winter months. Circuit riders served the church in the . . . — — Map (db m84388) HM
In 1851 twelve Methodists met in Newton (later Attalla) to plan a Methodist Episcopal Church. A crude log building on North Fifth Street served as the first church. In 1861 and again in 1882 the church relocated on Fifth to accommodate the growing . . . — — Map (db m83731) HM
A religious school was organized in the Nadler home for the children of 10 Jewish families in 1903. From these roots came the first formal worship service in 1908.
The cornerstone for the sanctuary was laid on March 8, 1922 with both Jewish and . . . — — Map (db m51208) HM
On January 25, 1925 the Sisters acquired the 25 - bed Gadsden General Hospital on Chestnut Street and renamed it Holy Name of Jesus Hospital. The Hospital grew under the leadership of the Founders, Father Thomas A. Judge, C. M. and Mother Mary . . . — — Map (db m39141) HM
The North Alabama Conference of the United Methodist Church was organized on this site in the Methodist Episcopal Church, South of Gadsden, Alabama
November 16, 1870
Bishop Robert Paine, presiding
The Centennial Convocation of the Conference . . . — — Map (db m83739) HM
Organized on June 30, 1888 by thirteen charter members as Dundee Missionary Baptist Church. The congregation originally worshipped in a brush arbor on this present site. The first church building was erected from pine slabs in the summer of 1886. . . . — — Map (db m39125) HM
Erected 1851, D.B. Anthony Contractor
Organized by Tuscaloosa Presbytery in 1824 as Mesopotamia Presbyterian Church.
John H. Gray first minister 1826-1836
Educational Building Erected 1959 — — Map (db m37953) HM
Organized “in the Prairie” south of Greensboro
in 1834 by the Rev. Caleb Ives, pioneer
missionary to the old Southwest.
Admitted to parish status in 1838 by the
Rt. Rev. Jackson Kemper, Provisional Bishop
of Alabama. First . . . — — Map (db m37969) HM
By appointment of Tuscaloosa Presbytery, November 18, 1848 Rev. J. L. Kirkpatrick and Rev. C. A. Stillman organized a Presbyterian Church at Pleasant Ridge, Alabama.
There were thirteen charter members. Services were held in a home near site of . . . — — Map (db m92649) HM
Organized 1823 by Rev. James Hillhouse
of South Carolina, with
Patrick Norris and William Hillhouse,
veterans of American Revolution,
as founding elders.
Original wooden structure replaced
by brick building in 1841
under pastorate . . . — — Map (db m33746) HM
Merged in 1918 as part of
Birmingham Southern College.
Founded here in 1856
by Methodist Church.
Weathered War and Reconstruction
to prosper in late 1800’s.
Moved to Birmingham in 1918
on merger with Birmingham College,
founded in 1896 . . . — — Map (db m83756) HM
This parish established 1830.
Third oldest in Alabama diocese.
Church consecrated in 1843 by
Leonidas Polk, Bishop of Louisiana,
(later a Confederate general).
Here Nicholas H. Cobbs was chosen
first Bishop of Alabama in 1844. . . . — — Map (db m33747) HM
1834 - Organized as mission by Rev. Caleb S. Ives for settlers coming here to the Canebrake from Atlantic Seaboard
1844 - made parish of Diocese of Alabama
1851 - this site selected
1853-54 - this building erected — — Map (db m38188) HM
Erected to the glory of God, the Methodist Church in Abbeville was established circa 1830 as a mission of the Lawrenceville Circuit. The 1850 church was erected north of the present post office on East Washington Street. Present church retains most . . . — — Map (db m60753) HM
The First Baptist Church of Abbeville
This church was founded in 1834 as a mission of the Lawrenceville Baptist Church. Reverend Jeremiah Campbell was one of the early pastors. Later meetings were held in the lower story . . . — — Map (db m71807) HM
This early settlers' church was constituted as a member of the Choctawhatchee Association District here on the Eufaula-Ozark Wagon Train Road, April 23, 1860. First Presbytery was M.W. Helms and J.J. Dickerson, Deacon William Hasten and Clerk D.R. . . . — — Map (db m71827) HM
Organized in 1867, as the Baptist Church of Christ at Bethlehem, it was located at 1 Cleveland Street. Reverend Thomas Scott was first pastor. William Whitehead was first deacon. Moved to East Church and Peachtree Street in 1893. Moved to present . . . — — Map (db m71818) HM
An arm of the Shilo Primitive Baptist Church located near the Abby Creek, began meeting near the Three Cornered Pond just south of here in 1848. A new church called Piney Grove was constituted on April 21, 1849, by the hands of . . . — — Map (db m71815) HM
This early cultural, educational and religious center was settled in 1823 and named for Joseph Lawrence, prominent pioneer, farmer, and extensive land owner. A Baptist and a Methodist Church were established here prior to . . . — — Map (db m71825) HM
Newville Baptist Church
A small Baptist congregation met under a brush arbor in 1876, near what later became the village of Wells which grew into the town of Newville, Alabama. A log church called Center was erected in . . . — — Map (db m71814) HM
Old Center Methodist Church
The church was organized in 1859. The first building was a log structure located just NW of the present building. In the 1870's it was part of the Newton Circuit and was served by a minister who lived in the . . . — — Map (db m71831) HM
Liberty United Methodist Church
Also called Liberty Chapel, the Church was organized circa 1830 and originally located three miles northeast of this site, on the Old Liberty Church Road. Rev. Anson West, D.D., renowned Methodist minister, . . . — — Map (db m71829) HM
This building site was purchased March 9, 1889 by trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, of Gordon Circuit. Services were held in a three-walled wood structure until the completion of a permanent building in 1893. In 1927 a brick building . . . — — Map (db m83760) HM
This church was constituted in 1835 following the withdrawal of six people from Omussee Baptist Church in a dispute over the role of missions. The first pastor Edmund Talbot, who served the Church until 1853, donated that land and . . . — — Map (db m73361) HM
History suggests that, in the early 1820's, circuit riding preachers from the South Carolina Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church arrived in the newly settled town of Columbia. Assigned to the Early County Mission in . . . — — Map (db m73363) HM
The original builders of the Omussee Creek mound
had abandoned the site by around 1550, but the
area continued to be occupied by Native American
groups well into the early nineteenth century. As early as
the 1630s, Spanish missionaries from . . . — — Map (db m115037) HM
(Front): Cowarts Baptist Church
Cowarts Baptist Church was founded in 1885 when dissension arose in the Congregation of Smyrna. Originally located beside the cemetery, the church was destroyed by fire during the 1890s. It was rebuilt . . . — — Map (db m64865) HM
On this site in 1877 Gaines Chapel Church was organized. A wooden structure was erected adjacent to an existing graveyard. In 1891 and 1901 additional land was purchased.
In 1908 the present building was dedicated. This structure was of early . . . — — Map (db m73362) HM
In November 1887 nine charter members organized the First Baptist Church of Dothan. In 1888 the Church erected a one room frame structure at 205 South Saint Andrews Street.
A beautiful Gothic brick building in the SE corner of Main and Oates . . . — — Map (db m83782) HM
In 1889, Georgia Baptists led by Reverend W. M. Carter organized the New Hope Baptist Church in the village of Poplar Head. Reverend Robert Nelson was called as the first pastor. In 1907, newly-elected trustees incorporated . . . — — Map (db m102970) HM
Organized on July 8, 1897 by the commission of South Alabama Presbytery. From the original seventeen members, J.D. Jones, N. M. McDonald, and I. M. Barton were elected ruling elders and Dr. Charles Sporman, D. R. Redding, and W. R. . . . — — Map (db m73379) HM
Baptists of Gordon first erected a brush arbor church, Hope Arbor, circa 1819. On May 16, 1867 James Pynes gave one acre and timber to build a church in the town center. Pynes, William Wood and John T. Davis, Building Committee, . . . — — Map (db m73372) HM
Organized in 1882 at nearby Rocky Creek Methodist Church for educational purposes. This school, which occupied approximately seven acres surrounding this marker, was supported by the Methodist Episcopal Church North. This school . . . — — Map (db m73374) HM
The church was organized in 1867 under a brush arbor very near the present sanctuary. The brush arbor was replaced by a log building and services were conducted in the log building until approximately 1895. It was in 1895 that Liberty Baptist Church . . . — — Map (db m83787) HM
Big Creek United Methodist Church
One of the oldest churches in southeast Alabama and reportedly the oldest church in Houston County. The first church structure was a log building constructed about 20 yards north of the . . . — — Map (db m73356) HM
Organized September 5, 1818 in home of Isaac Brown 3 miles west of Elyton. Met in homes and schoolhouse near Old Jonesboro until 1824. First building erected on site now the 14th Street entrance to Cedar Hill cemetery. Canaan Association (now . . . — — Map (db m37218) HM
In 1840 he published his study, History of Rise and Progress of the Baptists in Alabama.
Also an evangelist and missionary.
In 1818 moved to Alabama from Carolinas, organizing five churches in vicinity.
President of Alabama . . . — — Map (db m27025) HM
Union Baptist Church was organized in 1834 by 18 or 20 members from Canaan Church. The Libscomb area was then known as East End. Members of the Rockett and Ware families donated the original two acreas of this site and a log cabin, which served as . . . — — Map (db m24352) HM
This cemetery is the final resting place of three of the four young girls killed in the September 15, 1963 church bombing of the 16th Street Baptist Church. Addie Mae Collins, Cynthia Wesley and Carol Robertson are buried here. The fourth victim, . . . — — Map (db m61197) HM
The church was founded when the Rev. Henry M. Edmonds and many members of a Southern Presbyterian congregation withdrew from the local Presbytery. During the first seven years it met in Temple Emanu-El synagogue and held evening services in the . . . — — Map (db m27093) HM
New Hope Baptist Church and Cemetery were established here on land with a log house donated by Mr. & Mrs. Andrew Jackson Glass on August 21, 1884, for religious and educational purposes. The five-member church began with trustee Manson Glass. On . . . — — Map (db m83832) HM
Rev. Fred Shuttlesworth's tenure as pastor of Bethel Baptist Church (1953-1961) was marked by demonstrations, bombings and passionate sermons critical of segregation laws. His activism earned him a house bombing, frequent beatings, arrests, and . . . — — Map (db m83836) HM
This property possesses National Significance in commemorating the history of the United States. In 1963 it was the staging ground for the Birmingham Campaign Civil Rights Youth Marches and the place where a bomb killed four young girls, "Martyred . . . — — Map (db m63733) HM
Named for St. Vincent de Paul, founder of the Daughters of Charity in France in 1633, the hospital opened December 20, 1898 in the temporarily rented Henry F. DeBardelaben mansion at 206 15th Street South. Father Patrick A. O’Reilly founded the . . . — — Map (db m27523) HM
John Valentine Coe, president of Birmingham Lumber and Coal Company, commissioned this two-story Craftsman-Tudor Revival style house in 1908. Coe, who had previously been a lumber merchant in Selma, moved his family and business to Birmingham at the . . . — — Map (db m83858) HM
In 1818 before Alabama, Jefferson County, Elyton or Birmingham existed, The Elyton Methodist Church was established on Center Street. It was moved to 14 Second Avenue, and in 1909, to its present site. Renamed in 1910 for Corilla Porter Walker . . . — — Map (db m24348) HM
Wilson Chapel was built in 1916 as a memorial to James and Frances Wilson by their daughters, Rosa Wilson Eubanks and Minerva Wilson Constantine. At the time of its construction the area was developing into a community of country homes known as . . . — — Map (db m26681) HM
Brookside's Unique Heritage
Originally settled by the Samuel and Mary “Polly” Fields family in the 1820s, Brookside enjoyed a quiet life as an agricultural community until industrialists discovered rich coal . . . — — Map (db m43223) HM
Local Methodist connections for Clay Methodist Church were Cedar Mountain Church and Shiloh Methodist Church. Samuel, a Revolutionary War soldier, was a notable member of these early churches. Many of his descendants are buried here. James Self . . . — — Map (db m117209) HM
The oldest marked grave is that of Nancy Paerson, daughter of William S. Turner who was born September 23, 1813 and died September 19, 1830. Jesse Taylor deeded land for this church and graveyard on February 15, 1856.
Listed in the Alabama . . . — — Map (db m25134) HM
Multiple purpose Christian university founded 1841 as Howard College by Alabama Baptists at Marion.
Moved to East Lake, Birmingham, 1887. Established on this campus 1957.
Acquired Cumberland School of Law, Lebanon, Tennessee 1961. . . . — — Map (db m27296) HM
This cemetery is the final resting place of many of Shades Valley's pioneer residents. A few of the earliest headstones date from the mid-1850s. Descendants of these settlers helped mold the cities of Mountain Brook and Homewood. Located on property . . . — — Map (db m26294) HM
The Presbyterian Church U.S. began an effort in May 1960 to organize a new Presbyterian Church in the Cahaba Heights area. Rev. Frank M. Barker, Jr. was asked to begin the process and began contacting prospective members in a door to door campaign. . . . — — Map (db m52185) HM
Just after the War Between the States Robert Berry Patton gave seven acres of land, logs from his sawmill to build a church, school and cemetery. He served as the first pastor. Fire destroyed the church in 1908 and 1938. The school served the area . . . — — Map (db m83915) HM
Indian, Wagon Trail, now Shades Crest Road, led to popular chalybeate springs. Summit, now Bluff Park, was a resort known for its view, cool air and healing mineral water. In 1899 school / church was built. In 1909 Bluff Park Hotel, built on land . . . — — Map (db m27311) HM
Indian, Wagon Trail, now Shades Crest Road, led to popular chalybeate springs. Summit, now Bluff Park, was a resort known for its view, cool air and healing mineral water. In 1899 school / church was built. In 1909 Bluff
Park Hotel, built on land . . . — — Map (db m28517) HM
This is the old Kimbrell Methodist Church relocated from Kimbrell Community in Jefferson County. After lying idle for 15 years it was donated to the state by J.C. Hassell in 1972. The restoration was made possible through many individual donations . . . — — Map (db m107504) HM
Canterbury is the oldest existing establishment in Mountain Brook. It was organized in 1867 as Irondale Methodist when enough settlers to support the church moved into the area around the Irondale Furnace. The first time the North Alabama Conference . . . — — Map (db m83919) HM
In 1821 the first settlers came to this area, later called Waddell. Large numbers of people first migrated here in 1863 with the construction of the Irondale Furnace. Destroyed in the Civil War, the furnace was rebuilt and operated from 1867 to . . . — — Map (db m26769) HM
This cemetery is owned by St. John Baptist Church in Edgewater and operated by Scott-McPherson Funeral Home, Inc. US Steel Corporation previously owned the area and it is historically associated with the Edgewater Mining Camp community established . . . — — Map (db m37221) HM
Organized as Cahawba Baptist Church, 1821 Elder Sion Blythe, pastor Anderson Robertson, Sherwood Holley, deacons John Stovall, Jordan Williams, trustees.
Member of Canaan (now Birmingham) Baptist Association since its beginning in 1833. . . . — — Map (db m78805) HM
Vestavia Hills Baptist Church Vestavia Hills Baptist Church, constituted May 6, 1957, first met at Vestavia Hills City Hall. The church purchased the George Ward estate in 1958. On the property was Ward’s home, “Vestavia,” a replica . . . — — Map (db m83931) HM
Rev. Dr. Bennett W. Smith, as president of the Progressive National Baptist Convention, expanded the organization internationally. Active in Civil Rights in America and South Africa, he counseled President Bill Clinton on racial equality. — — Map (db m38645) HM
On May 27, 1888, this church was established in the courthouse after a commencement sermon at the State Normal College delivered by the Rev. W. H. Smith. Its initial name was First Missionary Baptist, but in 1910 it became First Baptist. The . . . — — Map (db m83964) HM
The Presbyterians organized the first church in Florence and purchased this property from the Cypress Land Company in 1818. A sanctuary was erected here in 1824. James L. Sloss, an early Alabama Territory missionary, was installed as the church's . . . — — Map (db m28955) HM
Established September 8, 1822 in a log house on the west side of town by Revs. John Cox and John Kerr. Cox and wife, Frances Langley had been affiliated with the Wesleys in England. Second meeting place was in Farmer's Cobbler Shop on West Mobile . . . — — Map (db m83966) HM
The "Mother Church" of the Presbytery, Florence Cumberland Colored Presbyterian Church originated in 1898 on property deeded by the city. Led, in 1918, by Rev. Holt Smith, it bought property on Alabama Street and built a frame structure. In 1948 . . . — — Map (db m83967) HM
teacher college south of Ohio R.
1830 ~ opened as LaGrange College
(Methodist) at nearby Leighton.
First charted college in state.
1855 ~ moved here and re~named
Florence Wesleyan University.
Flourished until . . . — — Map (db m83970) HM
Christians first met here in a log building which also served as a schoolhouse. In 1909 a frame building was constructed. Because of a single cedar tree in prominent view, it was given the name Lone Cedar by Wilbert M (Will) Behel, an early . . . — — Map (db m35231) HM
Tracing its roots to the early 1800's, The Macedonia Baptist Church originally met in homes with Joseph Fanning, visiting evangelist. In 1834, J.W. Smith supervised a building on this site. In 1880, T.B. Larimore, an evangelist among Churches of . . . — — Map (db m84032) HM
In early 1840s about 14 African-American members from First Methodist formed own congregation “Church Springs” near South Court Street. In 1857, a nearby brick cow shed was converted for its use under Rev. Robin Lightfoot who became a . . . — — Map (db m84050) HM
St. Mark Baptist Church is the oldest Missionary Baptist Church in Florence, Alabama. In 1859, a group of Christians began worshipping in a brush arbor on this site. John A. Rorttock, Trustee for colored members of the Missionary Baptist Church, . . . — — Map (db m99898) HM
The congregation first met in home of Mrs. Betsy Key. Organized as "Fairgrounds Church" in 1896 at nearby site of early Florence Racetrack and Fairgrounds, with Andy Sloss as pastor. Later, the church was moved to Irvine Avenue (formerly Fish-Trap . . . — — Map (db m56355) HM
Episcopal services in Florence began in 1824. Rev. Thomas Armstrong Cook organized Trinity Episcopal Church in 1836. The original building, on the northwest corner of College and Cedar Streets, was consecrated Feb. 23, 1845, by Bishop Nicholas . . . — — Map (db m35230) HM
Church organized in 1819; First Cemetery Burial in 1819. One of the earliest Methodist Congregations in the area, this church was organized by local preacher, Rev. Alexander Faires, in a log school built in 1816. Land donated in 1818 for church and . . . — — Map (db m56354) HM
The Wesleyan Bell was manufactured by the C.S. Bell Company in Hillsboro, Ohio, it is made of alloy steel, has a diameter of 38 inches, and is 24 inches high (not including its yoke). The weight of the bell is 660 pounds. When 350- pounds mountings . . . — — Map (db m28881) HM
In 1886 a group of Christians began meeting in the home of Susan Thrasher on the northeast corner of Court and Tuscaloosa Streets. For the next four years the group assembled in various rented places until it obtained its own building.
The move . . . — — Map (db m84159) HM
This is one of the earliest community burial grounds in Lauderdale County. The oldest dated gravestone is for Catherine Hill, first wife of Green Berry Hill, for whom the community is named. She died on June 8, 1825. George Kennedy deeded five acres . . . — — Map (db m68061) HM
Daniel White, native of North Carolina, purchased land here in 1818, a year before Alabama became a state. His home and stagecoach stop, "Wayside Inn" was a large two~ story log house located on the North side of the highway from this site. In 1834 . . . — — Map (db m29170) HM
Established in 1894 as New Salem Presbyterian Church. Originally affiliated with the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, the first recorded meeting was held 1897, William White, Pastor.
The Church became affiliated with Presbyterian U.S.A. in 1907. . . . — — Map (db m86305) HM
This site, one mile east of Elgin, has been referred to as “The Indian Mound.” There were white landowners here as early as 1833. Prior to 1936, there was a . . . — — Map (db m79914) HM
The earliest place of worship in Rogersville was a brush arbor located approximately 200 yards west of this historic location in what is now the old Liberty Cemetery. A building in which several faiths worshipped was later . . . — — Map (db m84298) HM
Springfield Community 1810
Springfield Community is believed to have been among the earliest settlements in Lauderdale County. It was laid out as a town and considered as the location for the county seat. As early as 1810, . . . — — Map (db m100604) HM
In 1872, Catholics of German ancestry settled on the former Wilson Plantation and established the town of St. Florian. St. Michael's Church was built south of the road, moved to the present site in 1878, and replaced with the present building in . . . — — Map (db m84300) HM
In 1836 Judge John Harper with 34 other Methodists from Harris County, Georgia settled here. They built a log structure on this site, the first church and school in Auburn. In 1856 church leaders inspired the Methodist Conference to open East . . . — — Map (db m74442) HM
The University Chapel is the oldest public building in the city of Auburn. Built as a Presbyterian Church, the first service was held in the original Greek Revival-style building on September 13, 1851. Edwin Reese, spiritual leader . . . — — Map (db m39831) HM
This simple frame structure was built by newly freed black men and women before 1870. The property on which the building stands was given to a member of the Ebenezer congregation in 1865, the year the War Between the States . . . — — Map (db m74450) HM
Organized in 1858, Trinity Mission was admitted to the Episcopal Diocese of Alabama on May 5, 1860. When the first church was consecrated on this site in 1862, it was renamed Emmanuel, meaning "God With Us." That building was destroyed by a tornado . . . — — Map (db m75132) HM
Established as the first religious organization in the area in 1837 with 22 members as Lebanon Methodist Episcopal Church, around which the village of Opelika developed. Moved to present location in 1879 as Opelika Station, Montgomery District, . . . — — Map (db m68097) HM
Organized November 15, 1846, as the Church of Christ at Shady Grove, under the New Covenant of 2nd Corinthians, 3rd chapter, agreeing to believe all the New Testament teaches, and to obey all its injunctions to the best of their capacity and submit . . . — — Map (db m85338) HM
Organized c. 1872 by Rev. John Ford, Tom Isaiah, Julius Crockrum, Daniel Billingslea, Fannie Bryant, Charity Harris, Sarah Chambers and others, and named for presiding Bishop J. P. Thompson. This congregation first met in a house near the oil mill . . . — — Map (db m75157) HM
This church was organized in 1829 as a Cumberland Presbyterian church by the Revs. Robert Donnell, John Morgan and Allen Gipson.
After first using an interdenominational building, a church was built on West Washington street in 1852.
This was . . . — — Map (db m85386) HM
North Side This marks the site of Cambridge, a small town established in the earliest years of Limestone County. In 1818, it consisted of several business houses, shops, and a mill. It was one of three locations considered for the county . . . — — Map (db m60177) HM
Built abt. 1849 by Rev. Robert Donnell, a native of North Carolina, and his second wife Clara Lindley Donnell. He was greatly inspired by the Great Spiritual Revival of 1800 and became a Presbyterian circuit rider, one of the . . . — — Map (db m72159) HM
A church older than the county and state. First meeting house built in the fall of 1816, on Indian land, a few miles south of here along Round Island Creek. The first Govt. Land sales were in Feb. 1818 after treaties with the . . . — — Map (db m85422) HM
The First Baptist Church, organized in 1824, built a meeting house in 1826. A brick structure was erected in 1831 but was replaced with the above building in 1909. This church located on the north west corner of Clinton and Hobbs streets, was later . . . — — Map (db m93883) HM
Limestone County High School (grades 9-12) was established in 1912. Money for the building, nearly $10,000, was obtained from three sources: the sale of property of an old Elkmont Elementary School, state funds, and private donations. Honored and . . . — — Map (db m93851) HM
Old New Garden Cemetery
This cemetery is one of the oldest in Limestone County and is listed on the Alabama Historic Cemetery Register. Many of the areas earliest settlers are buried here including Patsy Elmore, widow of a . . . — — Map (db m73836) HM
Mooresville Brick Church
Completed by 1839 this Greek Revival Structure was probably under construction for several years. On November 18, 1838 Alabama's 2nd Governor, Thomas Bibb and his wife Pamela deeded this property to . . . — — Map (db m85456) HM
8331 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 8131