Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Landmarks Historical Markers

1231 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 1031
 
The Bottle Creek Site Marker on right. image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, April 6, 2019
The Bottle Creek Site Marker on right.
Alabama (Baldwin County), Blakeley — The Bottle Creek SiteAlabama Indigenous Mound Trail
The Bottle Creek site is the second largest mound center in Alabama and it represents the remnants of a large Mississippian Stage civic and ceremonial complex that dominated the Mobile-Tensaw Delta from AD 1250 to 1500. Located in the heart of the . . . — Map (db m131832) HM
Alabama (Butler County), Greenville — Coleman-Crenshaw House
Dr. John Coleman, born June 6, 1788 in North Carolina, was one of Butler County's earliest pioneer settlers. He built the Coleman-Crenshaw House some time between 1817 and 1821. In June 1820 the first election for Sheriff and Constable, held in . . . — Map (db m130052) HM
Alabama (Choctaw County), Silas — Silas Elementary SchoolChoctaw County
The Choctaw County Board of Education built Silas Elementary School in 1936 with support from the Alabama State Department of Education. Students attended the school from 1936-2005. After nearly 70 years as a school, the building took on a new . . . — Map (db m110975) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Sheffield — Furnace Hill
Center of Industry for new town of Sheffield. Five blast furnaces with 75 ft stacks build 1886~1895 1/2 mile west. Promoted by E. W. Cole and E. Ensley. Iron ore and limestone from Franklin Co., coke from Walker Co. and Virginia used. Hattie Ensley . . . — Map (db m28428) HM
Alabama (Conecuh County), Evergreen — Alice's
. . . — Map (db m81303) HM
Alabama (Conecuh County), Evergreen — The Bank of Evergreen
. . . — Map (db m81299) HM
Alabama (Covington County), Andalusia — Bank of Andalusia National Historic Place
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m94197) HM
Alabama (Covington County), Andalusia — First National Bank BuildingNational Historic Place
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m94200) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Cahaba — Cahaba First State Capital1818-1826
This stone marks the site of Cahaba, selected November 21, 1818 as the first permanent capital of Alabama. The seat of goverment remaining here until removed to Tuscaloosa by the Legislature, January 1825. On December 13, 1819, it was fixed as . . . — Map (db m22609) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Selma — Edmund Pettus BridgeNational Historic Landmark
Edmund Pettus Bridge has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance for its association with "Bloody Sunday," a seminal event in the Civil Rights Movement. Here, on March 7, 1965, . . . — Map (db m82037) HM
Alabama (Elmore County), Wetumpka — Here Stood Fort Toulouse
Here stood Fort Toulouse A defense against the Indians Built by Bienville 1714 The Alabama Society of Colonial Dames preserves the memory of faithful service 1912 — Map (db m69567) HM
Alabama (Escambia County), Atmore — Escambia County Training School
In 1920, a wooden building was constructed as the Atmore Colored School and operated until 1925. In 1926, a new wood and a brick building was erected with assistance from Rosenwald School fund and it was renamed the Escambia County Training School. . . . — Map (db m100835) HM
Alabama (Escambia County), Brewton — The Leigh Place
The Leigh Place The First Escambia County Courthouse in Brewton Used as the County Seat from 1885 to 1890. After various other uses, remodeled as an office in 1969.Map (db m84392) HM
Alabama (Etowah County), Gadsden — Dwight Mill Village
Dwight Manufacturing Company of Chicopee, Massachusetts selected this site in Alabama City for a cotton mill in 1894. The Mill and the village covering 240 acres was constructed under the direction of Howard Gardner Nichols. There were 160 . . . — Map (db m18575) HM
Alabama (Houston County), Dothan — Dothan Municipal Light and Water Plant
Municipal Light & Water Plant has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1991 — Map (db m115030) HM
Alabama (Houston County), Dothan — Shelley General Store
Side 1 William Lafayette Shelley (1868-1953), son of Mark Shelley and Mary Jane Ronie Shelley, was a progressive farmer and entrepreneur in the Tumbleton community of Henry County, Alabama. “Papa Billy”, as he was known by . . . — Map (db m73377) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Jefferson County Courthouse Site
The county seat of Jefferson County was moved from Elyton to Birmingham in 1873. On this site stood the first Courthouse in the City of Birmingham. The Italianate style structure was designed by architect W. K. Ball. Completed in 1875, the two-story . . . — Map (db m27095) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Sloss Furnaces
The crossing of railroads in 1872 adjacent to this site gave rise to the industrial city of Birmingham. In 1881 Alabama railroad magnate and entrepreneur James Withers Sloss, capitalizing on the unusual coincidence of coal, iron ore and limestone in . . . — Map (db m23498) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Vestavia Hills — A History Of Vestavia Hills
In 1924, George Ward, a former mayor of Birmingham, 1905-1909, 1913-1914, visited the City of Rome, Italy. He was so intrigued by the unique beauty of the Temple of the Vestal Virgins on a Roman hilltop that he vowed to build a replica of it on a . . . — Map (db m25352) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Vestavia Hills — Sibyl Temple
Side A Sibyl Temple was moved to this site from its original location in 1975. George Ward built it on the brow of his 20-acre mountaintop “Vestavia” estate in 1929. It marked the entrance to the lower 10 acres where he planned a . . . — Map (db m37708) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Florence's Early Water Tower 1890
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this tower of native stone was completed in 1890 as the foundation for a wrought- iron tank with a capacity of 280,000 gallons of water. It is 70 feet high and is located on the highest elevation . . . — Map (db m35234) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — General James Henry Lane HouseWoman's Club of Auburn
The Lane House, built in 1853 at the corner of Thach and College Street, was home to several Auburn University notables, E. T. Glenn, Treasurer, leased it in 1873. Gen. James H. Lane, Aide to Gen. Stonewall Jackson and Head of Engineering, purchased . . . — Map (db m85165) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — Bean's Mill
Side 1 Here in 1897 the first iron bridge in Lee County was built. In 1903 George W. Bean bought the mill, operating it until his death in 1952. About 1910 Bean installed an iron overshot wheel to replace the old turbine. Later, the dam . . . — Map (db m73533) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee — The Tuskegee Veterans Administration Hospital
The Tuskegee Veterans Administration Hospital (VA), established in 1923, is significant as the first VA hospital in the nation to be administered by an all African American medical staff. After WWI, African American veterans found it difficult . . . — Map (db m101900) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Bessie"The Meadow Gold Cow"
Bessie, or Elsie, as she was sometimes called, started her life in Huntsville in 1963. Meadow Gold Diaries (sic) mounted her to their advertising billboard that stood at the corner of Memorial Parkway and Governor's Drive. Painted as a . . . — Map (db m114570) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Hotel Monte Sano“Monte Sano” – Spanish for “Mountain of Health”
Site of Hotel Monte Sano, built in 1887 by the North Alabama Improvement Company with the assistance of Michael and James O’Shaughnessy. The 233-room hotel opened on June 1, 1887 and served as a health resort and haven for famous visitors including . . . — Map (db m27796) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Alabama State Capitol
Has been desiginated a Registered National Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 this site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the history of the United . . . — Map (db m74156) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Bertha Pleasant Williams LibraryRosa L. Parks Avenue Branch
Bertha Pleasant Williams Library Rosa L. Parks Avenue Branch has been placed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks & Heritage by the Alabama Historical Commission October 25, 2018 — Map (db m136278) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Charlie and Lucille TimesCivic Leaders and Civil Rights Activists
Lucille and Charlie (d. 2/7/78) Times were married on February 3, 1939. Shortly after, the Times' joined the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP). Mr. Times received several medals and a Commendation for his service in . . . — Map (db m81804) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Train Shed 1897National Historic Landmark
. . . — Map (db m94031) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Holy Trinity — Spanish Fort, 1689-1691
East of here, on the Chattahoochee River, was the "fort among the Apalachicolas," most northern of the Spanish settlements in eastern North America. A palisaded "strong house" built by Captain Enrique Primo de Rivera to check activities of English . . . — Map (db m101252) HM
Alabama (Tallapoosa County), Daviston — Horseshoe Bend Battleground Monument
Here on the Horseshoe Battleground General Andrew Jackson and his brave men broke the power of the Creek Indians under Chief Menawa March 29, 1814 — Map (db m51673) HM
Alabama (Tallapoosa County), Daviston — Jackson Trace
This stone marks the terminus of the route traced through the wilderness by Jackson's army during the Horseshoe Bend campaign. — Map (db m51670) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Alabama Central Female College
After the seat of government was moved to Montgomery in 1847, the Tuscaloosa Capitol and its furnishings were deeded to the University of Alabama to be used for educational purposes. In 1857, the University Board of Trustees leased the building . . . — Map (db m29064) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Denny Chimes
Marker Front: This bell tower, an enduring symbol of Alabama's first university, was erected in honor of President George H. Denny, under whose leadership (1911 to 1936) The University of Alabama gained national prominence. Conceived by . . . — Map (db m29610) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Masons Marks
To identify their work masons often carved special marks into the bottom, sides, or back of the stones. Their supervisors were thus able to distinguish between the quality and quantity of each mason's work. Blocks for the building were quarried from . . . — Map (db m29116) HM
Arizona (Gila County), Young — The Pleasant Valley War a.k.a. The Graham-Tewksbury FeudCirca 1882 - 1892
One of the West’s Longest and Bloodiest feuds took place here and around Pleasant Valley. The Grahams and the Tewksburys had been in the cattle business and it seems probable that they first fell out over the division of cattle they jointly owned . . . — Map (db m78742) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Kingman — Santa Fe Locomotive No. 3759
Presented to the city of Kingman as an historical monument in 1967 by the Santa Fe Railway Company. This "Mountain Type" coal-burning steam locomotive was built in 1927 by the Baldwin Locomotive Works. It was rebuilt and converted to oil fuel . . . — Map (db m29360) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Lake Havasu City — London Bridge
Opened By The Right Honorable The Lord Mayor Of London Alderman Sir Peter Studd G.B.E.M.A.D.Sc. In The Presence Of The Honorable Jack Williams Governor Of Arizona October 10, 1971 Robert P. McCulloch Sr          C.V. Wood Jr. . . . — Map (db m4328) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Winslow — Barringer Meteor Crater
Has Been Designated A Registered Natural Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites act of August 21, 1935 this site possesses exceptional values in illustrating the natural history of the United States. U.S. . . . — Map (db m41532) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Green Valley — Titan II Intercontinental Ballistic Missile Museum
Tucson Air Museum Foundation of Pima County Titan II Intercontinental Ballistic Missile Museum Established May 8, 1986 571st SMS, 390th SMW Davis-Monthan AFB Strategic Alert July 1963 – November 1982 National . . . — Map (db m26926) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — El Conquistador Water Tower
Constructed in 1928, the tower is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and has been designated as a Tucson Landmark. The tower's Spanish colonial revival sheathing was designed by Tucson architect Roy Place and added in 1932. . . . — Map (db m26288) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — Jerome, ArizonaToo Strong to Die
The first mining claims were filed in 1876, within 20 years Jerome was a billion dollar copper mecca and one of the wildest, wickedest mining towns in the west. Drinking, gambling, brawls and frolicking with ladies of the night occurred . . . — Map (db m33149) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Plaza Bandstand
As early as 1865, Lucian Bonaparte Jewell organized a Brass Band in Prescott, but by the 1870s the regimental bands from Ft. Whipple began to dominate the local music scene. The original Plaza Bandstand, built in the late 1800s, had survived the . . . — Map (db m59299) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Santa Fe Depot
Prescott’s first railroad arrived on December 31, 1886. The current depot was built by the Santa Fe, Prescott and Phoenix Railway, also known as the “Peavine”, in 1907. Designed in the Mission Revival style of poured concrete with a . . . — Map (db m18767) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — The Historic Yavapai County Courthouse Plaza Fountain
Arriving from New York on July 13, 1910, "Lady Ermintrude" graced the Courthouse Plaza for more than 60 years. Over time, the fountain began showing signs of wear and, in 1976, was removed and placed in storage at the Sharlot Hall Museum.
In . . . — Map (db m136155) HM
Arkansas (Cleveland County), New Edinburg — The Union Wagon Train Leaves Camden
In March of 1864, the Union Army began the Red River Campaign, a plan to subdue Arkansas and Louisiana and capture Texas cotton for northern mills. By mid-April, the Arkansas arm of the campaign was stalled in Camden. A Union foraging party and . . . — Map (db m121311) HM
Arkansas (Faulkner County), Conway — 82 — Cadron in the Civil War
Confederate forces used Cadron as a base in the war’s early years, and Union troops were here after taking Little Rock in September 1863. The site was valuable for the saw and grist mills nearby, the telegraph line that ran to Little Rock, and the . . . — Map (db m96452) HM
Arkansas (Monroe County), Holly Grove — Beginning Point of the Louisiana Purchase Survey
This stone marks the base established Nov. 10, 1815 from which the lands of the Louisiana Purchase were surveyed by the United States Engineers. The first survey from this point was made to satisfy the claims of the soldiers of the War of 1812 . . . — Map (db m6037) HM
Arkansas (Saline County), Bryant — The Geographical Center of Arkansas
The Geographical Center of Arkansas is a few steps north of this highway Erected by The Arkansas Society Daughters of American Colonists Arkansas Centennial 1936 — Map (db m96637)
California (Alameda County), Alameda — 440 — Alameda Terminus of the 1st Transcontinental Railroad
[Center and Main Marker:] This plaque marks the terminus of the First Transcontinental Passenger train that started in New York City and terminated at Alameda Point Pier On September 6, 1869. Erected by the U.S. Naval Air . . . — Map (db m29447) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — 641 — Concannon Vineyard
Here, in 1883, James Concannon founded the Concannon Vineyard. The quality it achieved in sacramental and commercial wines helped establish Livermore Valley as one of America’s select wine growing districts. Grape cuttings from this vineyard were . . . — Map (db m100553) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — 586 — Cresta Blanca Winery
Here, Charles A. Wetmore planted his vineyard in 1882. The Cresta Blanca wine he made from its fruit won for California the first international award, the highest honor at the 1889 Paris Exposition, first bringing assurance to California wine . . . — Map (db m100552) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — Mills Square Flag PoleRaised September 9, 1905
Made from one log, originally 126 feet in length. 18 inch diameter at base, 5,300 pounds Shortened 14 feet in 1959 City of Livermore Historic Preservation Landmark Site Dedicated July 1998 — Map (db m17785) HM
California (Alameda County), Niles — Completion of the Transcontinental RailroadNiles, California
“May God continue the unity of our country as this railroad unites the two great oceans of the world.” The gold spike ceremony at Promontory, Utah in May of 1869 united the tracks of the Central Pacific and Union Pacific Railroads. . . . — Map (db m143737) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — 824 — San Leandro Oyster Beds
Oysters were the mainstay of the California fishing industry at the turn of the century. Along this site (the original Mulford Canal) the San Leandro oyster beds flourished. In 1892 William Roberts field title to the beds south along San Lorenzo . . . — Map (db m100559) HM
California (Alpine County), Kirkwood — Caples Lake
In 1849 Dr. James Caples passed through here on his way to California’s gold country. After a brief stay in Old Hangtown (Placerville) Caples remembered the lake and returned here with his family to establish a way station that served weary . . . — Map (db m11048) HM
California (Alpine County), Markleeville — Hermit ValleyHistorical Landmark
In 1856 a road was completed following the present sign route 4 from Murphys to this point, and thence northward via Faith and Charity Valleys to Hope Valley where it joined the Carson Pass Road. This connection was used by emigrants in 1856 and . . . — Map (db m10316) HM
California (Amador County), Drytown — 31 — Drytown
Founded 1848. Oldest town and first in which gold was discovered in Amador County. Its venerable town hall and other picturesque structures remain. Was not "dry" as name implies, containing 26 saloons at one time. — Map (db m100575) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — Buena Vista Store
Buena Vista's store and house situated in Jackson Valley, was built by John Fitzsimmons, then sold to Sam Cook, then to James Norris and afterwards to Jacob and Verona Strohm. Once situated in Lancha Plana it was moved by the Chinese who discovered . . . — Map (db m10189) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Kennedy Mining and Milling Company1860 - 1942
In the late 1850’s, Andrew Kennedy discovered gold in an outcropping of quartz. The mine produced over $34.2 million in gold, making it one of the richest gold mines in the world. With a depth of 5,912 feet, it was the deepest mine in North America . . . — Map (db m19797) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Original site of Mel and Faye’s DinerEstablished 1956
. . . — Map (db m85661) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 34 — Pioneer Hall
The Order or Native Daughters of the Golden West was organized on these premises The site of the Pioneer Hall on September 1, 1886. This tablet is placed In memory of the founding of the order by Ursula Parlor No. 1, . . . — Map (db m28039) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — 1007 — Knight Foundry
Knight Foundry was established in 1873 to supply heavy equipment and repair facilities to the gold mines and timber industry of the Mother Lode. Samuel N. Knight developed a high speed, cast iron water wheel which was a forerunner of the Pelton . . . — Map (db m100590) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — William Tucker's Fire Bell
Sutter Creek's first fire bell was ordered by William M. Tucker (1843-1910) for the Sutter Creek Fire Company. The bell hung in a wooden bell tower in the late 1800s at the fire station near the corner of Spanish St. and Keyes St. The bell was . . . — Map (db m94751) HM
California (Amador County), Volcano — The Thomas Starr King Bell
The Thomas Starr King Bell was donated to the town of Volcano by Unitarian preacher Thomas Starr King in 1862, who was greatful to the town for its support for the Union and the election of Abraham Lincoln. The bell was originally located at the . . . — Map (db m101341) HM
California (Amador County), Volcano — Volcano
Discovered in 1848 by Colonel Stevenson’s men who mined Soldiers’ Gulch in ’49. First covered wagon party sluiced rich gravel beds. By ’53, men swarmed flats and gulches naming them picturesquely. Hydraulic operations, begun in ’55, brought . . . — Map (db m11365) HM
California (Amador County), Volcano — 29 — Volcano
[Larger Marker]: Started 1848 by soldiers of Colonel Stevenson’s Regiment. Named by miners because of apparent volcanic appearance. Here the first California rental library, 1850, was established. And one of the first “Little . . . — Map (db m100574) HM
California (Butte County), Chico — 840-2 — Chico Forestry Station and Nursery
In 1888, the State Board of Forestry established an experimental forestry station and nursery, a companion to the Santa Monica Station established in 1887. The two were the first such stations in the nation. Exotic and native trees were tested and . . . — Map (db m100602) HM
California (Butte County), Chico — 329 — Rancho Del Arroyo Chico
A vast expanse covering 26,000 acres, Rancho Chico was purchased in 1849-50 by John Bidwell. In 1865 he began construction of the mansion nearby, which in time became the social and cultural center of the upper Sacramento Valley. It was through his . . . — Map (db m108748) HM
California (Calaveras County), Altaville — 499 — Altaville Grammar School
This brick building, erected in 1858 with funds raised by a dance in the Billiard Saloon of the N.R. Prince Building (which still stands), is one of the oldest schools of California. Used as a school until 1950, it was then replaced by the present . . . — Map (db m10143) HM
California (Calaveras County), Altaville — 735 — Prince-Garibardi Building
This structure was erected in 1852 by B. R. Prince and G. Garibardi for a general merchandise business. Improved in 1857 with living quarters on the second floor, it is still used for living and warehouse purposes. — Map (db m11047) HM
California (Calaveras County), Campo Seco — 257 — Campo Seco
Settled in 1849 by Mexicans who worked placers in Oregon Gulch. Rich copper deposits discovered in 1859. The largest living cork oak tree in California was planted here in 1858. Ruins of Adams Express Building still standing. — Map (db m10629) HM
California (Calaveras County), Copperopolis — 296 — CopperopolisState Registered Landmark No.296
Copper here discovered by W. K. Reed and Thomas McCarty in 1860. Mines utilized during the Civil War and the First and Second World Wars. During Civil War period was the principal copper producing section of the United States. — Map (db m13002) HM
California (Calaveras County), Copperopolis — 281 — O'Bryne Ferry
In 1852 a chain cable bridge replaced the ferries that once crossed here, to be supplanted in its turn by a covered truss structure in 1862. Some writers claimed this was the locale of Bret Harte's Poker Flat. In late “49” there was a . . . — Map (db m13013) HM
California (Calaveras County), Jenny Lind — 266 — Jenny Lind
Settled in the 1840’s as a flourishing gold mining, cattle ranching and farming community. — Map (db m13040) HM
California (Calaveras County), Mokelumne Hill — 663 — Calaveras County Courthouse and Leger Hotel
A portion of this building served as the Calaveras County Courthouse from 1852 to 1866, when the county seat was removed to San Andreas. George W. Leger then acquired the court building and made it a part of his adjoining hotel, which has been . . . — Map (db m11537) HM
California (Calaveras County), Mokelumne Hill — 265 — Chili Gulch
Richest placer mining section, extending five miles, in Calaveras County. Received name from Chileans who worked gulch in 1848 and 1849, and scene of the so-called Chilean War. Largest known quartz crystals recovered from mine on south side of gulch. — Map (db m11515) HM
California (Calaveras County), Mokelumne Hill — 269 — Mokelumne Hill
Mokelumne is an Indian word, first applied to the nearby river. Earliest settlement was at Happy Valley by French trappers. Gold was discovered by discharged members of Stevenson's Regiment in 1848. Center of the richest placer mining section of . . . — Map (db m12996) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — 272 — Douglas Flat
Douglas Flat was a roaring mining camp of the early 1850s. In 1857 the Harper and Lone Star Claims produced $130,000 worth of gold. The so-called Central Hill Channel, an ancient river deposit from which vast quantities of gold have been taken, is . . . — Map (db m81717) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — 466 — Peter L. Traver Building
Constructed by Peter L. Traver in 1856, this is the oldest stone building in Murphys. Its iron shutters and sand on the roof protected it from the fires of 1859, 1874, and 1893. It served as a general store, a Wells Fargo office, and later a garage. — Map (db m2611) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — 465 — Site of Brownsville
A thriving mining camp on rich Pennsylvania Gulch in the 1850’s and 1860’s. Named for Alfred Brown, former owner of Table Mountain Ranch. Laws of Brownsville Mining District provided that each miner could own one wet and one dry claim, not to exceed . . . — Map (db m11501) HM
California (Calaveras County), San Andreas — 258 — Fourth Crossing
Located on the Stockton-Murphy Road at the fourth crossing of the Calaveras River, this early mining settlement, once called Foremans, was famous in the 1850's for its rich placer ores. Later, it became an important stage and freighting depot and . . . — Map (db m11969) HM
California (Calaveras County), Valley Springs — 295 — Paloma (Fosteria)
Gwin Mine, Paloma, and Lower Rich Gulch were mined for placer in 1849. Quartz was discovered by J. Alexander in 1851. Property acquired by Wm. M. Gwin, California's first U.S. Senator, in 1851. The Gwin Mine closed, in 1908, yielded millions. — Map (db m14449) HM
California (Calaveras County), Valley Springs — Valley Spring
The original three foot narrow gauge line was built by the San Joaquin & Sierra Nevada Railroad, extending from Brack’s Landing on the Mokelumne River, east to Valley Springs. The depot and turntable were built around the time of completion of the . . . — Map (db m10635) HM
California (Calaveras County), West Point — 268 — West Point
Named by famous scout Kit Carson while searching for pass over Sierras. One emigrant road forked at Big Meadows, and north branch came directly to West Point. A thriving trading post prior to gold discovery. Bret Harte, famous author, lived here for . . . — Map (db m44371) HM
California (Colusa County), Colusa — 890 — Colusa County Courthouse
Erected in 1861, this Federal/Classic Revival style building is the oldest remaining courthouse in the Sacramento Valley. The “Southern” style reflects the county’s heritage from the Ante-Bellum South and states-rights sympathies during . . . — Map (db m57626) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — Mount Diablo State Park
Welcome Heading to the top? Rising to 3,849 feet in elevation, Mount Diablo dominates the foothills and offers unobstructed views. Stand on its summit on a clear day and see over 200 miles in all directions; the Sierra Nevada to the east and past . . . — Map (db m103091) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — Mt Diablo State ParkWhat's In A Name?
Like many other isolated peaks, Mt. Diablo is steeped in lore - much of it involving the mountain's name. On a 1824 map, "M. del Diablo" signifies a Christian Indian village, not a peak. The reference to "diablo" or devil can be traced back to . . . — Map (db m93632) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — 143 — James W. Marshall1810 - 1885
. . . — Map (db m146477) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — 748 — The Coloma Road
Here in the Valley of the Cul-lum-mah Indians, James W. Marshall discovered gold on January 24, 1848, in the tailrace of Sutter’s sawmill. The Old Coloma Road, opened in 1847 from Sutter’s Fort to Coloma, was used by Marshall to carry the news of . . . — Map (db m12272) HM
California (El Dorado County), El Dorado — 486 — El Dorado
El Dorado, meaning “The Gilded One”, was first known as Mud Springs from the boggy quagmire the cattle and horses made of a nearby watering place. Originally a important camp along the old Carson Emigrant Trail. By 1849 – 50 it . . . — Map (db m13148) HM
California (El Dorado County), El Dorado — 700 — El Dorado (Mud Springs)
Trading post, emigrant stop, and mining camp of the 1850’s. This became one of the remount stations of the Central Overland Pony Express. Here at the Nevada House on April 13, 1860, pony rider William (Sam) Hamilton changed horses while carrying the . . . — Map (db m11571) HM
California (El Dorado County), El Dorado Hills — 699 — Mormon TavernOverland Pony Express Route - California
At this site on the old Clarksville-White Rock Emigrant Road was Mormon Tavern. Constructed in 1849, this popular stage stop was enlarged and operated by Franklin Winchell in 1851. It became a remount station of the Central Overland Pony Express and . . . — Map (db m12056) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — 521 — Greenwood
John Greenwood, a trapper and guide who came to California in 1844, established a here a trading post in 1849. The mining town of Greenwood, which developed during the Gold Rush, boasted a theater, 4 hotels, 14 stores, a brewery, and 4 saloons. . . . — Map (db m10447) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — 141 — Hangmans Tree
This city in the days of ’49 was called “Hangtown” This was the site of Elstner’s Hay Yard on which stood the ‘Hangman’s Tree’ where vigilantes executed many men for various crimes. The stump of the tree is under this . . . — Map (db m10504) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — 475 — PlacervilleOriginally Known as “Hangtown” — Incorporated May 13, 1854 —
Established on banks of “Hangtown” Creek as rich mining camp in spring of 1848. Millions in gold were taken from its ravines and hills. Supply center for surrounding mining camps and transportation terminus for famous Comstock Lode. John . . . — Map (db m12732) HM
California (El Dorado County), Rescue — 747 — The Coloma Road
Past this point on the Old Coloma Road, running between Sutter’s Fort and his sawmill on the American River, James W. Marshall rode with the first gold discovered at Coloma on Jan. 24, 1848. Traveled by thousands to and from the diggings, this road . . . — Map (db m11268) HM
California (El Dorado County), Shingle Springs — 456 — Camp Site of Boston-Newton Party
On this site the Boston-Newton Joint Stock Association encamped on September 26, 1849. The company left Boston April 16 and arrived at Sutter’s Fort September 27. After a remarkable journey across the continent a rich store of written records . . . — Map (db m11568) HM
California (El Dorado County), Skinners — 703 — Pleasant Grove House
This was the site of a popular roadhouse, where the ponies of the Central Overland Pony Express were changed during July 1, 1860 to June 30, 1861. From here the route of the pony riders continued westward to Folsom and eastward through Rescue, Dry . . . — Map (db m10442) HM
California (Humboldt County), Trinidad — Spain Claims Northern California
"Carolus III. Dei G. Hyspaniarum Rex" June, 9 1775 Replaced by Club Women of Humboldt Co. Sept. 9, 1913 — Map (db m139523) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Beale Memorial Clock Tower
The Beale Memorial Clock Tower was a gift to the City of Bakersfield from Truxtun Beale in memory of his mother, Mary Edwards Beale. Dedicated on April 2, 1904, the clock tower originally stood in the center of the intersection at Chester . . . — Map (db m25001) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — 588 — Kern River Slough
Just south of this point stood the Butterfield Overland Stage site known as Kern River Slough. Operating through present Kern County during 1858 – 1861. This famous line ran from St. Louis, Missouri to San Francisco until the outbreak of . . . — Map (db m24946) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — 278 — Rio de San FelipeCalifornia Historical Landmark
One mile north of here on May 1, 1776, Francisco Garces of the Franciscan Order, crossed Kern River in his search for a shorter route from Sonora, Mexico to Monterey, California. He was the first known explorer to describe this river, which he named . . . — Map (db m24984) HM
California (Kern County), Glennville — 495 — Glennville Adobe
Kern County’s oldest residence. Built before Civil War by Thomas Fitzgerald as trading post at junction of two Indian trails. Present Greenhorn Road follows east – west trail (later McFarlane Toll Road) to Kern River mining districts. Town . . . — Map (db m25032) HM
California (Kern County), Grapevine — 300 — Rose Station
Wm. B. Rose, in 1875, a mile east; built an adobe stage station on the site of the Overland Mail Way Station established 1858. From 1853 to 1875 site was known as Rancho Canoa (trough). Originally vaquero camp of the Sebastian Indian Reservation. . . . — Map (db m20196) HM
California (Kern County), Grapevine — 133 — Sebastian Indian Reservation
The Sebastian or Tejon Indian Reservation (headquarters 10 miles east of here) was established in 1853 by Gen. Edward Fitzgerald Beale as one of several California Reservations. The number of Indians quartered here varied from 500 to 2000. General . . . — Map (db m108915) HM
California (Kern County), Johannesburg — 18 — Red Mountain
One of the richest silver strikes occurred in the community of Red Mountain. The Kelly and Grady claims started a silver boom which brought prosperity to this region in the 1900's. In one 60 day period over $170,000 in silver was mined from a hole . . . — Map (db m78593) HM
California (Kern County), Lake Isabella — 742 — Campsite of Edward Kern
Near this spot at the confluence of the north and south forks of the Kern River the Theodore Talbot Party of Captain John C. Fremont’s third expedition to the West camped for several weeks during December 1845 and January 1846. The river was named . . . — Map (db m25092) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 643 — "Old Town"
The oldest settlement in Tehachapi Valley, known as 'Old Town,' was established here during the 1860s. It was long an important station on the road between Southern California and the San Joaquin Valley. The community began to decline when residents . . . — Map (db m139964) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 508 — Tehachapi Loop
From this spot may be seen a portion of the world-renowned “Loop.” It was completed in 1876 under the direction of William Hood, Southern Pacific Railroad Engineer. In gaining elevation around central hill of loop a 4000 foot train will . . . — Map (db m134430) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — Tehachapi Pass Railroad LineConstructed 1874 – 1876 — Commemorated October 1998 —
In front of you is the world famous Tehachapi Loop which is about halfway upgrade to the Tehachapi Pass. This steep line averages 2.2% in gradient in its 28 miles of length. This feat of civil engineering genius was crowning achievement of civil . . . — Map (db m134431) HM
California (Lake County), Hidden Valley Lake — 450 — Stone HouseState Historical Marker #450
Oldest building in Lake County. Erected of stone in 1853-4 by Robert Sterling, whose wife was first white woman in Coyote Valley. Rebuilt in 1894. Headquarters of the Guenoc Land Grant and the first store in the valley. — Map (db m16127) HM
California (Lake County), Middletown — 467 — Old Bull Trail Road and St. Helena Toll Road
The Old Bull Trail Road ran from Napa Valley to Middletown. It was built by volunteers in the 1850’s. A number of grades were 35 percent. It was an official road in 1861 and abandoned in 1868. St. Helena Toll Road also ran from same points. Was . . . — Map (db m11989) HM
California (Lassen County), Litchfield — 677 — Noble Emigrant Trail
This route was first used in 1852 by emigrants to Northern California seeking to avoid the hardships of the Lassen Trail. It crossed the desert from the Humbolt River in Nevada, passed this point, and proceeded over the mountains to the town of . . . — Map (db m10269) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — 675 — Noble Emigrant Trail
This meadow, now a city park, was a welcome stopping place on the Noble Emigrant Trail, pioneered by William H. Nobles in 1851 and first used in 1852. Here, emigrants en route to the Northern California mines were able to rest, refresh their stocks, . . . — Map (db m10268) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — Peter Lassen Grave
In memory of Peter Lassen the pioneer who was killed by the Indians April 26, 1859 Aged 66 years — Map (db m10261) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — 76 — Roop's Fort
Built in July 1854 by Isaac N. Roop. First called Roop's House, and used as stopping place by emigrant trains. It was the locale of the "sagebrush war" fought in 1863 between Plumas County and Lassen County citizens. — Map (db m10266) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Beverly Hills — Morton Bay Fig — Ficus Macrophylla —
Planted by the Rodeo Land and Water Company between 1910 - 1914. Plaque donated by Margo and Irwin Winkler, 1995. — Map (db m148845) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Lancaster — 658 — Western Hotel
This buiding, erected by the Gilroy family in 1876, this building was purchased in 1902 by George T. Webber, who operated it as the Western Hotel. The Lancaster Chamber of Commerce was organized in its dining room. Between 1905 and 1913, . . . — Map (db m53028) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Long Beach — 1014 — Long Beach Marine Stadium
Created in 1932 for the rowing events of the Xth Olympiad, the Stadium was the first manmade rowing course in the United States. Its width allowed four teams to race abreast, eliminating additional heats and allowing oarsmen to enter the finals at . . . — Map (db m2614) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — A Gathering Place — USC — University of Southern California —
His given name is the Trojan Shrine, but he is best-known by his nickname: Tommy Trojan. Probably the most popular and recognizable member of the Trojan Family, he is a physical and symbolic rallying point for the entire university. Tommy . . . — Map (db m129746) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Newhall — 688 — Lyons Station
This site was the location of a combination store, post office, telegraph office, tavern, and stage depot accommodating travelers during the Kern River gold rush in the early 1850s. A regular stop for Butterfield and other early California stage . . . — Map (db m145420) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Newhall — Oak of the Golden Dream
In 1839, the Mexican Government granted to Antonio del Valle some 48,000 acres of The Santa Clarita Valley known as the Del Valle Rancho. On March 9, 1842, Francisco Lopez y Arbello, the brother-in-law of Antonio del Valle, visited the . . . — Map (db m20112) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Newhall — 168 — Oak of the Golden Dream
Francisco Lopez made California’s first authenticated gold discovery on March 9, 1842. While gathering wild onions near an oak tree in Placerita Canyon he found gold particles clinging to the roots of the bulbs. The San Fernando placers and nearby . . . — Map (db m51516) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — Fort MacArthur / 500 Varas Square Historic DistrictPort of Los Angeles
Juan Rodriquez Cabrillo, exploring for Spain, discovered Alta California and named San Pedro Bay, “Bahia de los Fumos” (Bay of Smokes), October 1542. The smoke on the Bay shore came from the native Suang-Na Indian Fires. Sebastian . . . — Map (db m127129) HM
California (Marin County), Inverness — Point Reyes Light Station
Point Reyes Light Station built 1870 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m890) HM
California (Mendocino County), Fort Bragg — 615 — Fort Bragg
Established in this vicinity June 11, 1857 by 1st Lieutenant Horatio Gate Gibson, 3rd Artillery, later Brigadier General, US Army. Named by Gibson in honor of his former company commander, Braxton Bragg, later General, C.S.A. Abandoned in October . . . — Map (db m10585) HM
California (Mendocino County), Fort Bragg — Fort Building
The last remaining structure and once the original quartermaster’s storehouse and commissary of Fort Bragg Military Post 1857-1864, then located near Laurel and Redwood Avenues. — Map (db m10586) HM
California (Mendocino County), Mendocino — 714 — Mendocino Presbyterian Church
This is one of the oldest Protestant churches in continuous use in California. Organized as the Presbyterian Church on November 6, 1859, the building, constructed of redwood, was dedicated on July 5, 1868. — Map (db m10600) HM
California (Mendocino County), Mendocino — Point Cabrillo Light Station
The Point Cabrillo Light Station was built in 1908 by the US Lighthouse Service to protect the "Doghole Schooners" that plied the lumber trade between San Francisco and the Redwood Coast. These steam ships and sailing vessels were known for their . . . — Map (db m543) HM
California (Mendocino County), Mendocino — 927 — Temple Kwan Tai
California State Landmark #927 C.A. 1854 [California Registered Historical Landmark description states: One of the oldest of California's Chinese houses of worship in continuous use, the temple may date back as far as 1854, though its . . . — Map (db m143483) HM
California (Modoc County), Cedarville — 14 — Cressler - Bonner Trading PostCalifornia Historical Landmark No. 14
The first building erected in Deep Creek settlement, now Cedarville, was built in 1865 as a trading post by James Townsend, who was killed in an indian fight it 1866. Purchased by William T. Cressler and John H. Bonner in 1867, the building was . . . — Map (db m10245) HM
California (Modoc County), Fandango Pass — 546 — The Applegate-Lassen Trail
This spot marks the convergence of two pioneer trails widely used by emigrants during the years 1846-1850. The Applegate Trail, established in 1846, led from the Humbolt River in Nevada to the Willamette Valley in Oregon. The Lassen Cut-Off, . . . — Map (db m10174) HM
California (Mono County), Bridgeport — "Bridgeport Inn"
The old Levitt House which became The Bridgeport Hotel and is now the Bridgeport Inn was built in 1877 by Sam Hopkins for Hiram L. Leavitt. Weary travelers in the old west used this historic hotel as a stage and buggy stop to and from the Bodie gold . . . — Map (db m10365) HM
California (Mono County), Mammoth Lakes — Casa Diablo
A distinctive landmark and gathering place used by many early inhabitants of the area for bathing, food preparation, ceremonial and medicinal purposes. It was named “House of the Devil”, by early explorers, for its boiling hot springs, . . . — Map (db m2950) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — 1 — The Custom House
The Custom House is the oldest government building in California. From 1822 through 1846, Monterey was both the capital city and primary port of entry for Alta California. Cargos of “everything under the sun” were brought ashore and . . . — Map (db m143526) HM
California (Monterey County), Salinas — 870 — José Eusebio Boronda Adobe Casa
Built between 1844 and 1848 by José Eusebio Boronda, this is an outstanding example of a Mexican era rancho adobe. Virtually unaltered since its construction, it shows many features of the "Monterey Colonial" style which resulted from the fusion of . . . — Map (db m60397) HM
California (Napa County), Calistoga — 359 — Bale Grist Mill
This historic grist mill known as the “Bale Mill” was erected by Dr. E.T. Bale, Grantee Carne Humana Rancho, in 1846. The mill with its surrounding land was deeded to the Native Sons of the Golden West by Mrs. W.W. Lyman. Restored . . . — Map (db m18672) HM
California (Napa County), Calistoga — 685 — Calistoga Sam Brannan Center
The Calistoga Sam Brannan center, including the Sharpsteen Museum and the Sam Brannan Cottage, is dedicated to Calistoga’s early pioneers. The complex, named for Sam Brannan, Calistoga’s original entrepreneur, will preserve and perpetuate the . . . — Map (db m18587) HM
California (Napa County), Calistoga — 561 — Schramsberg
Founded in 1862 by Jacob Schram. This was the first hillside winery of the Napa Valley. Robert Louis Stevenson, visiting here in 1880, devoted a chapter of his “Silverado Squatters” to Schramsberg and its wines. Ambrose Bierce and Lilly . . . — Map (db m52168) HM
California (Napa County), Napa — 878 — First Presbyterian Church Building
Designed by pioneer architects R.H. Daly and Theodore Eisen, this church is an outstanding example of late Victorian Gothic architectural styling. It is the best surviving example in this region of early works associated with Eisen, who later became . . . — Map (db m18781) HM
California (Napa County), St. Helena — 814 — Beringer Brothers Winery
Built by Frederick and Jacob Beringer, natives of Mainz, Germany. This winery has the unique distinction of never having ceased operations since its founding in 1876. Here, in the European tradition, were dug underground wine tunnels hundreds of . . . — Map (db m18734) HM
California (Napa County), Yountville — 828 — Veterans Home of California
Established in 1884 by Mexican War Veterans and members of the Grand Army of the Republic who recognized the need for a home for California’s aged and disabled veterans. In January 1897 the Veterans Home Association deeded the home and its 910 acres . . . — Map (db m18743) HM
California (Nevada County), Nevada City — 1012 — Pelton Wheel Manufacturing Site
The Pelton Water Wheel, first commercially manufactured here at George Allan’s Foundry & Machine Works in 1879, was a major advancement in water power utilization and greatly advanced hard-rock mining. Its unique feature was a series of paired . . . — Map (db m12796) HM
California (Nevada County), Nevada City — Purdon Bridge1895
Built by Cotton Brothers of Oakland, this steel bridge replaced several wooden bridges washed away in floods. It is the only bridge of the half-through truss design remaining in California. Purdon Crossing was a vital link of the main road from . . . — Map (db m45068) HM
California (Nevada County), Nevada City — 832 — South Yuba Canal Office
Headquarters for the largest network of water flumes and ditches in the state. The South Yuba Canal Water Company was the first incorporated to supply water for hydraulic mining. The original ditch was in use in May, 1850, and this company office . . . — Map (db m10836) HM
California (Nevada County), Nevada City — 899 — The National Hotel
This hotel, one of the oldest in continuous operation west of the Rockies, opened for business in August, 1856. Originally known as The “Bicknell Block”. The structure consists of three common-walled buildings of simple brick . . . — Map (db m12891) HM
California (Nevada County), Rough and Ready — Fippin's Blacksmith Shop
Built in the mid 1850’s by John Fippin and John Single. Fippin married Single’s daughter, Julia, in 1867, and they raised 10 children. Local legend has it that one of Lotta Crabtree’s earliest performances was atop the anvil here. The building today . . . — Map (db m10561) HM
California (Nevada County), Rough and Ready — 294 — Rough and Ready
Established in 1849 and named in honor of General Zachary Taylor, after the Rough and Ready Company of miners from Wisconsin, this was one of the principal towns of Nevada County. In 1850, articles of secession were drawn up establishing the . . . — Map (db m10560) HM
California (Nevada County), Truckee — 780-6 — TruckeeFirst Transcontinental Railroad
While construction on Sierra tunnels delayed Central Pacific, advance forces at Truckee began building forty miles of track east and west of Truckee moving all supplies by wagon and sled. Summit Tunnel was opened in December, 1867. The line reached . . . — Map (db m23560) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — 11 — Site of San Pedro Gate1857
The original townsite of Anaheim was surrounded by a living fence of willow trees to keep out the livestock which roamed freely on the open range. This is the site of the gate that was opened to permit travel to and from San Pedro and Los Angeles. — Map (db m49990) HM
California (Orange County), Huntington Beach — 36 — Auditorium and Tower
This 1926 structure is an excellent example of Lombard Romanesque Revival architecture. The school site was donated in 1908 to the five year old Huntington Beach Union High School district by the town developers, the Huntington Beach Company. . . . — Map (db m50021) HM
California (Orange County), Lake Forest — 32 — Heritage Hill Historic Park
Vivid reminders of El Toro's past are preserved in Orange County's first historic park. The Serrano Adobe (circa 1883), El Toro Grammar School (1890), St. George's Episcopal Mission (1891), and Harvey Bennett Ranch House (1908) reflect the history . . . — Map (db m50016) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — 31 — San Juan Capistrano Jail Cell
This jail cell was built in 1896 to serve as a holding cell for miscreants on their way to County jail. Originally located on the west side of Camino Capistrano at the intersection with Ortega Highway, it was the scene of several jailbreaks and one . . . — Map (db m137613) HM
California (Orange County), Santa Ana — 12 — Santa Ana's Birthplace
Here on October 10, 1869, his 40th birthday, William H. Spurgeon climbed a sycamore tree to inspect this mustard covered valley. Impressed, he bought 74.9 acres of the Santiago de Santa Ana, and laid out a townsite between First and Seventh, . . . — Map (db m49991) HM
California (Orange County), Westminster — 24 — Post Brother's Plow
Built by Charles R. Post in 1937 to reclaim farmlands ruined by floods, the Post Brothers' Plow is considered to be the world's largest plow. Measuring 37 ft. long, 12 ft. high, and 11 ft. wide, with a blade of 86 in. it was pulled by five 100 . . . — Map (db m50008) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Placer County CourthouseHistorical Landmark
Site of First Public Hanging Area and Graveyard Third Courthouse Cornerstone Laid July 4, 1894 Dedicated July 4, 1898 — Map (db m12340) HM
California (Placer County), Granite Bay — 585 — Pioneer Express Trail
Between 1849 and 1854, Pioneer Express riders rode this gold rush trail to the many populous mining camps on the American River bars now covered by Folsom Lake. - Beals, Condemned, Dotons, Long, Horseshoe, Rattlesnake, and Oregon - on the route to . . . — Map (db m10202) HM
California (Placer County), Newcastle — 780-3 — First Transcontinental RailroadNewcastle
Regular freight and passenger trains began operating over the first 31 miles of Central Pacific's line to Newcastle on June 10, 1864, when political opposition and lack of money stopped further construction during that mild winter. Construction was . . . — Map (db m11141) HM
California (Placer County), Newcastle — 463 — Town of Ophir
(Original marker, which was stolen in 2012. See Photo #1) Founded in 1849 as 'The Spanish Corral,' Area proved so rich that Biblical name of Ophir adopted in 1850. Most populous town in Placer County in 1852, polling 500 votes. Almost . . . — Map (db m11922) HM
California (Placer County), Nyack — 403 — Emigrant Gap
The spring of 1845 saw the first covered wagons to surmount the Sierra Nevada Mountains. They left this valley, ascended to the ridge and turned westward to Old Emigrant Gap. The wagons were lowered by ropes to the floor of Bear Valley. Hundreds . . . — Map (db m548) HM
California (Placer County), Rocklin — 780-2 — RocklinFirst Transcontinental Railroad
Central Pacific reached Rocklin, 22 miles from its Sacramento Terminus, in May, 1864, when the railroad established a major locomotive terminal here. Trains moving over the Sierra were generally cut in two sections at this point, in order to ascend . . . — Map (db m11088) HM
California (Placer County), Roseville — 780-1 — RosevilleFirst Transcontinental Railroad
Central Pacific graders reached Junction, now Roseville, on November 23, 1863, crossing the line of the California Central, which began building northward from Folsom in May 1858. That line was abandoned in 1868. CP’s track reached Junction April . . . — Map (db m11079) HM
California (Sacramento County), Folsom — 240 — Mormon Island
Early in 1848 W. Sidney S. Willis (ES) and Wilford Hudson, members of the Mormon Battalion, set out from Sutter’s Fort to hunt deer. Stopping on the South Fork of the American River, they found gold. They told their story on returning to the Fort . . . — Map (db m17637) HM
California (Sacramento County), Galt — 1 — Galt Water Tower
The original wooden water tower was built here in 1872. This water tower has stood as a beacon since 1936, connecting yesterday, today and tomorrow. Dedicated as a Galt Historical Landmark November 11, 1995Map (db m72322) HM
California (Sacramento County), Gold River — 746 — The Coloma Road
Alder Springs, South of this point, marks the Old Coloma Road, running between Sutter’s Fort and Culluh-mah (Coloma). Established in 1847, this road was used by James W. Marshall in January 1848 to bring the first gold from Sutter’s Mill to the . . . — Map (db m11901) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — California State Capitol Park
HISTORY When Spanish governors ruled the California territory, its capitol was moved from town to town between San Diego and Monterey. San Jose had already been designated the capitol by the time California was granted statehood in 1850. . . . — Map (db m15017) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — 526 — California’s First Passenger Railroad
The Sacramento Valley Railroad running from Sacramento to Folsom, was begun at this site on February 12, 1855. Here, at Third and R Streets, was located the Sacramento passenger terminal. The turntable and freight depot were at Third and Front . . . — Map (db m16056) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — 872 — California’s Historic Capitol
The historic Capitol was designed by architects M.F. Butler and Reuben Clark. Its style is an adaption of Roman Corinthian architecture. Work began in 1860 and by late 1869 the Capitol was partly occupied. In 1874, construction ended at a cost of . . . — Map (db m11341) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — El Camino Real Bell
This commemorative bell celebrates a combined century of service by the California Federation of Women’s Clubs and California State Automobile Association including the establishment of bell markers along the historical El Camino Real. — Map (db m14819) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — 654 — First SynagogueOwned by Congregation B'nai Israel
This was the site of the first synagogue on the Pacific Coast, dedicated on September 3, 1852. The building, prefabricated in Baltimore and shipped around Cape Horn in 1849, originally housed the Methodist Episcopal Church, whose trustees sold the . . . — Map (db m149189) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — 780-8 — First Transcontinental RailroadWestern Base of the Sierra Nevada
On January 12, 1864, President Abraham Lincoln decreed that where the Central Pacific Railroad crossed Arden Creek the western base of the Sierra Nevada began. The hardships of railroad construction through mountains resulted in increased government . . . — Map (db m18854) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — 697 — Five Mile Station
Departing at 2:45 A.M. from the Alta Telegraph Co. in Sacramento, Pony Rider Sam (Bill) Hamilton carried the first mail eastward of the Central Overland Pony Express on April 4, 1860. Here quickly changing ponies he sped on to the next stop at . . . — Map (db m19583) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — 603 — Lady Adams Building
Built in 1852 by the Lady Adams Mercantile Co.; named after the brig which brought the partners around the horn. She has survived fires, flood, and being lifted one story. She has served merchants, bankers, and as a “rooming house”. . . . — Map (db m58582) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — 633-2 — Old Folsom PowerhouseSacramento Station A
The first distribution point of electricity for a major city, Station A was constructed in 1894. Built by the Sacramento Electric Power and Light Company to receive power generated from Folsom Powerhouse. The first transmission of electricity was on . . . — Map (db m11185) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — 745 — The Coloma Road
Sutter’s Fort, established by Capt. John A. Sutter in August 1839, marked the Western end of the Coloma Road. Opened in 1847, this road ran from the Fort to Sutter’s sawmill at Coloma. Used by James W. Marshall in January 1848 to bring the news of . . . — Map (db m11897) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Barstow — 892 — Barstow Harvey House
Harvey Houses were legendary in the history of Western rail travel. Operated by Fred Harvey in conjunction with this Santa Fe Railway, the network of restaurant-hotels set a new standard in quality meal service. Barstow's Spanish-Moorish "Casa Del . . . — Map (db m50666) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Fontana — 950 — Site of U.S. Rabbit Experimental Station
In March 1928, the Federal Government established the first and only experimental station in the United States devoted solely to research on the breeding and raising of rabbits on a five-acre property donated by A. B. Miller of Fontana. The station . . . — Map (db m50670) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Phelan — 577 — Mormon Trail Monument
In June 1851, 500 Mormon Pioneers came through this pass to enter the San Bernardino Valley where they colonized and established a prosperous community. — Map (db m140423) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Rancho Cucamonga — 360 — Tapia Adobe Site
In 1839 Governor Juan Alvarado granted the 13,000-acre tract called Cucamonga to Tiburcio Tapia, an ex-soldier who was a prominent merchant and alcalde in Los Angeles. A half-mile west of this marker Tapia, employing Indian laborers, immediately . . . — Map (db m149478) HM
California (San Bernardino County), San Bernardino — 578 — Stoddard-Waite Monument
Sheldon Stoddard Sydney P. Waite came over this trail 1849 helped erect this monument 1912 — Map (db m123887) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Trona — 774 — Searles Lake Borax Discovery
Borax was discovered on the nearby surface of Searles Lake by John Searles in 1862. With his bother, Dennis he formed the San Bernardino Borax Mining Company in 1873 and operated it until 1897. These chemicals in Searles Lake which include borax, . . . — Map (db m50241) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Yermo — Calico Lives Again1881
Under the auspices of Knott’s Berry Farm, Buena Park, Calif. Buildings shall be rebuilt on their original sites. Walter Knott is dedicating Calico Ghost Town to the memory of the heroic silver miners who lived and toiled here. The . . . — Map (db m10576) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Yermo — 782 — Town of Calico
Centered about the “Town of Calico”, The Calico Mining District, which had a peak population of 3,000, produced between $13 and $20 million in silver and $9 million in borate minerals between 1881 and 1907. On April 6, 1881, several . . . — Map (db m10573) HM
California (San Diego County), Coronado — 844 — Hotel del Coronado
This Victorian hotel, built in 1887, is one of America’s largest wooden buildings. Few seaside resort hotels of this significant architectural style remain in America. The hotel has hosted several presidents and other national figures. — Map (db m11108) HM
California (San Diego County), Escondido — An Incident of the Mexican War
The Army sent from Santa Fe to occupy California was met and defeated by the Mexicans at San Pasquale. The American forces were driven upon a butte in the desert, on which there was no water and there surrounded by the Mexican forces Edward F. Beale . . . — Map (db m12865) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 49 — Adobe Chapel of The Immaculate Conception
Originally built as the home of San Diego’s John Brown in 1850, the house was converted to a church by Don Jose Aguirre in 1858. Father Antonio D. Ubach , formally a missionary among the Indians, was parish priest here from 1866 to 1907. It is said . . . — Map (db m11652) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 1031 — Ferryboat "Berkeley" — [Maritime Museum of San Diego] —
The steam ferryboat "Berkeley" was the first successful west coast-built and operated ferry to be driven by a screw propeller as opposed to side-wheels. Built by the famous Union Iron Works of San Francisco in 1898, the ferry operated until 1958 as . . . — Map (db m51330) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 59 — San Diego Presidio Site
Soldiers, sailors, Indians, and Franciscan missionaries from New Spain occupied the land at Presidio Hill on May 17, 1769 as a military outpost. Two months later, Fr. Junípero Serra established the first San Diego Mission on Presidio Hill. . . . — Map (db m11134) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Coit Tower
This 210 foot monument was built in 1933 with monies bequeathed by Lillie Hitchcock Coit to beautify the city she loved. Frescoes were painted in the interior of the newly built structure by local artists funded through the United States . . . — Map (db m70020) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Dewey Monument
(Panel 1) On the night of April Thirtieth 1898 Commodore Deweys squadron entered Manila Bay and undaunted by the danger of submerged explosives reached Manila at dawn of May First 1898 • Attacked and destroyed the Spanish fleet of ten war . . . — Map (db m15075) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Fort Point
Fort Point is considered one of the finest examples of military architecture in the United States and is San Francisco’s only major building constructed before the Civil War which has remained basically unchanged since it was completed and . . . — Map (db m10677) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Mint HillA Trip Through Local History — Clyde Wahrhaftig —

In 1936 almost half of Mint Hill was removed to create a flat base for the Mint.

In 1947 Duboce Avenue east of the Sunset Tunnel was crowded with automobiles as shoppers thronged to the farmers’ market.

The area near Market . . . — Map (db m128827) HM

California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — North West Corner of Original Presidio
. . . — Map (db m12616) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — 79 — Presidio of San Francisco
Formally established on September 17, 1776, the San Francisco Presidio has been used as a military headquarters by Spain, Mexico, and the United States. It was a major command post during the Mexican War, Civil War, Spanish-American War, World Wars . . . — Map (db m10743) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Shreve & Co.A San Francisco Institution since 1852.
From the time of the Gold Rush, Shreve & Co. has been the premier jeweler in the city, first making its home in this building in March 1906. This was one of the only structures to survive The Great Earthquake of April 18, 1906. It was here . . . — Map (db m9163) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Telegraph Hill
The marker is primarily composed of photographs and illustrations and the captions that accompany them. Photographs or illustrations are sequentially numbered from the top. For ships coming through the Golden Gate, Telegraph Hill could . . . — Map (db m73350) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Lathrop — 780-7 — First Transcontinental RailroadSite of Completion of Pacific Railroad
The construction of the San Joaquin River Bridge completed the last link of the Transcontinental Railroad. Building had simultaneously proceeded from the Bay Area and Sacramento and met at the San Joaquin River. The first train crossed the bridge on . . . — Map (db m11380) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — 36 — Commercial and Savings Bank1915 and 1924
This ten-story Renaissance Revival Building was constructed in 1915 to house the Commercial and Savings Bank founded in 1903 by John Raggio. After a fire, the north portion was added in 1924. The property was purchased in 1929 by the Bank of Italy, . . . — Map (db m23984) HM

1231 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 1031
Paid Advertisement
May. 31, 2020