Prattville is often referred to as “The Fountain City” for the numerous free-flowing artesian wells found here. A 1933 edition of the Prattville Progress noted that there were more than 400 of these artesian wells in Prattville . . . — — Map (db m70805) HM
On January 2, 1944, the State of Alabama granted Hunt Oil Company a permit to drill the A.R. Jackson Well No. 1 at this location near Gilbertown. Hunt Oil Company was owned by the famous oil man, H.L. Hunt of Dallas, Texas. Drilling commenced on . . . — — Map (db m80351) HM
World's Largest Man-Made Natural Stone Waterfall
to be known in existence
80 feet wide, 48 feet tall
1,780 tons of Colbert County Sandstone
4,320,000 gallons of water per day passes over falls
Largest stone weights 77,000 pounds
120 days . . . — — Map (db m83394) HM
Plaque A 85-90 Million Years Old
Possibly a Bald Cypress
from the Cretaceous Period
or the Age of Dinosaurs Plaque B
325 Million Years Old
A Member of the Giant Club Mosses
from the early Coal Age — — Map (db m29287) HM
"We by-and-by discovered...a pair of those
splendid birds, the Ivory-billed Woodpeckers
(Picus principalis). They were engaged in
rapping some tall dead pines, in a dense part of
the forest, which rang with their loud notes." . . . — — Map (db m112801) HM
Avondale Park, dedicated in 1886, is one of Birmingham's earliest parks. The park site was chosen because of its natural spring, which was a popular attraction with the local people, as well as a favorite stopping point for weary travelers along . . . — — Map (db m55951) HM
In 1822 William Pullen, Revolutionary War veteran, acquired this land from the Federal Government for farming. In 1889 his heirs sold the land to the City of Birmingham for use as the New Southside Cemetery which operated from 1889 to 1909 with . . . — — Map (db m27096) HM
In 1850 George James Roebuck and his wife Ann Hawkins Roebuck built a log cabin at the mouth of Roebuck Spring. His Influence and leadership led to the area around it to be known as Roebuck. In 1900 Alabama Boys Industrial School was located . . . — — Map (db m26688) HM
On Cahaba Mountain to the NW, springs form a fragile stream that grows as it carves through the steep, rocky terrain of Birmingham suburbs, flowing south on the Gulf Coastal Plain to the Alabama River, at the site of Alabama's first capital, . . . — — Map (db m25110) HM
Indian, Wagon Trail, now Shades Crest Road, led to popular chalybeate springs. Summit, now Bluff Park, was a resort known for its view, cool air and healing mineral water. In 1899 school / church was built. In 1909 Bluff Park Hotel, built on land . . . — — Map (db m27311) HM
Indian, Wagon Trail, now Shades Crest Road, led to popular chalybeate springs. Summit, now Bluff Park, was a resort known for its view, cool air and healing mineral water. In 1899 school / church was built. In 1909 Bluff
Park Hotel, built on land . . . — — Map (db m28517) HM
Nature Preserve and Recreation Area
This tract was protected through the efforts of the Alabama's Forever Wild Land Trust,
The Alabama Lands of The Department of Conservation and Natural Resources with assistance of the Lauderdale County . . . — — Map (db m106468) HM
Caldwell Field is named in honor of James Henry Caldwell, celebrated for bringing the concept of the manufactured gas business to the City of Mobile. On September 20, 1836, Mr. Caldwell entered into a contract with the City of Mobile, which granted . . . — — Map (db m111390) HM
Abundant water and fertile land in this area south of the Tennessee River attracted pioneer settlement in the early 1800s. The community established here by three Virginia-born brothers, Hopkins, John, and Theophilus Lacy, took on their name and . . . — — Map (db m27611) HM
Incorporated on January 25, 1843
Was at one time
one of the
largest cities in Alabama
with a population of
With the coming of
the California gold rush
the city became
a dormant municipality
later to . . . — — Map (db m95077) HM
The remains of Burns' Shoals now lie nearly 40 feet underwater. This rock outcropping was the first of the shoals known as the "Falls of Tuscaloosa" and represents the "Fall Line" or contact point of the Coastal Plain and the Appalachian Plateau, . . . — — Map (db m28904) HM
To identify their work masons often carved special marks into the bottom, sides, or back of the stones. Their supervisors were thus able to distinguish between the quality and quantity of each mason's work. Blocks for the building were quarried from . . . — — Map (db m29116) HM
Plied for thousands of years by Indians, then by early explorers and American settlers, this river extends 169 miles from the Sipsey and Mulberry Forks near Birmingham to its confluence with the Tombigbee at Demopolis. It drains 6228 square miles of . . . — — Map (db m28901) HM
Gold discoveries brought Alaska and the Yukon to the attention of the world. A series of stampedes occurred over more than three decades. Drawn by dreams of gold, men and women from many places and all walks of life participated in an adventure that . . . — — Map (db m59836) HM
The gold deposit found in 1902 north of present-day Fairbanks proved to be the richest in Alaska. Prospector Felix Pedro and trader E.T. Barnette played key roles in the discovery and initial rush. A second strike made the following summer . . . — — Map (db m59826) HM
At the Alaska Juneau mill from 1917-1944, ore was sorted, crushed, and treated to extract gold. Electric-powered engines hauled trains of 40 ore cars along the main haulage route form the mine two miles away in Silver Bow Basin to the AJ mill, . . . — — Map (db m42823) HM
This bronze sculpture was commissioned by the city and borough of Juneau during its centennial anniversary year, and is dedicated to the mine whose work provided the lifeblood of Juneau during it first six decades.
In the late 1800’s, compressed . . . — — Map (db m42809) HM
Prospectors found gold in 1895 under the present Canyon Creek Highway Bridge and on Mills Creek. Those discoveries launched a rush to Turnagain Arm more than a year before the Klondike Gold Rush.
Prospectors Poke Around
After gold was . . . — — Map (db m49599) HM
This open pit mine is named
The Lavender Pit
In honor of
Harrison M. Lavender
1890 – 1952
Who as vice president and general manager of Phelps Dodge Corporation conceived and carried out this plan for making the . . . — — Map (db m28281) HM
This valley owes its name to the two springs located one mile north of this monument. From 400 A.D. to 1450 A.D. Indigenous Indians farmed the region. Their bedrock mortar pits remain on the nearby hill. Later Chiricahua Apaches, Spaniards, . . . — — Map (db m37768) HM
Something unexpected once stood on the rim in front of you. A steel headframe towered over a mineshaft that dropped 1,500 feet (460 m) to one of the richest uranium mines in the United States. From 1956 to 1969, miners extracted ton after ton of . . . — — Map (db m108885) HM
Gold and silver strikes in the 1860's created growth in the area. It is said Wyatt Earp served as sheriff of Cibola for one year in the 1890's. The town of Cibola formed in 1898 and construction began on a 16 mile canal to bring water from the river . . . — — Map (db m78552) HM
This was a stage stop between Ehrenberg and Wickenburg and points east. Travelers in the 1870's and 80's made their first stop here on eastward journeys from the Colorado River. "No grass, but good water," an early desert guide indicated . . . — — Map (db m7004) HM
Dug by hand around 1864 by a miner named Tyson. This 40-foot-deep well marked the spot around which grew the town of Quartzsite. Originally known as "Tyson's Well," "Tyson Wells," or "Tyson's Wells," the small community served as an important . . . — — Map (db m39416) HM
Harrisburg was established on this site in 1886 by Captain Charles Harris, and his partner Governor Fredrick Tritle, as a mill town to process ore from the Socorro and other mines in the area. By 1887 two mills were operating here.
The post . . . — — Map (db m31821) HM
Apache Lake is the deepest on the entire chain of reservoir lakes on the Salt River. It was created by the construction of Horse Mesa Dam in 1927.
Apache Lake Marina will help you enjoy the Lake. Food, lodging and marina services are available. . . . — — Map (db m34063) HM
Canyon Lake was formed following the construction of Mormon Flat Dam from 1923-25 by USDI, Bureau of Reclamation. Salt River Project manages the dam for water storage and power generation. Water stored in this reservoir is collected from the 13,000 . . . — — Map (db m34062) HM
In 1925 the well for Gilbert’s domestic water was drilled to the depth of 475 feet where a large flow of pure water was found. A six-inch pipe was sunk to bring the water to the surface. The tower and pumping station were constructed during the . . . — — Map (db m90238) HM
In 1863 Austrian Henry Wickenburg discovered gold, legend has it, while retrieving a vulture he had shot. The vulture mine went on to become one of Arizona's richest gold mines and sparked the development of Arizona and the city of Phoenix. In the . . . — — Map (db m40319) HM
Discovered in 1863 by
Henry Wickenburg and his Burro
To supply the needs of the mines and protecting military camps, the Salt River Valley irrigated agricultural industry was developed. The Vulture Mine produced 10 millions in gold and was the . . . — — Map (db m29477) HM
Founded in 1862 with the discovery of silver, Chloride became the first mining town of the Cerbat Mountains. During it's heyday, 1900 to 1920, the population swelled to over 2000 with 75 mines in operation. Chloride was the first incorporated town . . . — — Map (db m31845) HM
This camp, established March 25, 1871 by Company F, 12th Infantry commanded by Capt. Thomas Bryne, was located at a spring used by Indians for centuries. It was named for Navy Lt. Edward F Beale who established a wagon road along the 35th parallel. . . . — — Map (db m29411) HM
Site of Cerbat third historical Mohave County seat. Three miles from this highway in Cerbat Mountains and in canyon of the same name. It came to existence in 1860's as mining camp, and had mill, smelter, post-office, school, stores and saloons. Only . . . — — Map (db m20808) HM
Four miles east is former mining town of Chloride which was started in 1864 with discovery of few mines. In 1900, it had two thousand population. Fifty or more mines were in operation around Chloride, including Tennessee – Schuykill, large . . . — — Map (db m20737) HM
Five miles northeast is site of Mineral Park mining town, county seat in 1873 – 1887 with courthouse and jail; stores, hotels, saloons, shops, doctor, lawyer, assay offices, and two stagecoach stations; all lined up few streets. It is now . . . — — Map (db m20809) HM
Formerly known as Indian Secret Mining District or Silverado, the White Hills Mining Camp started in the 1890's. The mines were rich producers of silver, especially horn silver, also called chloride silver. This large community was devastated by a . . . — — Map (db m31880) HM
Fifteen miles east in the Black Mountains, is the historic Oatman mining district. Many original buildings still exist in the ghost town site. The Tom Reed United Eastern Gold Road and other mines produced more than thirty million dollars of gold . . . — — Map (db m31903) HM
In 1900 Jose Jerez discovered gold here in a
chunk of quartz. It was assayed out 40 ounces to
the ton! The claim was resold for $275,000. By
1907 the mine milled 140,625 ounces of gold
worth $2,250,000. Addwest Minerals acquired
the mine . . . — — Map (db m50762) HM
Named for a migrating pioneer family attacked and killed by Indians near Gila Bend, Arizona, in 1851.
Some fifty mines operated in the Oatman area. From its beginning in 1904 and through 1931, the Oatman district produced $36,000,000 in ore. . . . — — Map (db m29464) HM
Oatman was founded around 1906 as part of Arizona's richest gold mining area. Oatman was reborn in the late 1960's and early 1970's as a tourist town. The main attraction was the wild burro herd. The burros roaming the Oatman area are descendants of . . . — — Map (db m78570) HM
During the 1930'2 a boater passing through the Canyon discovered a cave which later was found to be rich with "Guano", bat droppings. This material was rich with nitrogen and very useful as fertilizer. The U.S. Guano Corporation had purchased the . . . — — Map (db m99266) HM
Approximately 225 million years ago, during the Triassic Period, a floodplain existed here – littered with fallen trees. Periodic flooding buried the logs beneath layers of silt. Over time, silica-laden waters filtered through these deposits . . . — — Map (db m68870) HM
The petrified wood strewn in the valley below was once encased in the bluffs around you. When erosional forces removed the softer rocks, the petrified wood tumbled and accumulated on the valley floor. Once filled with fallen logs, Jasper Forest was . . . — — Map (db m68871) HM
Petrified Forest is a laboratory where scientists study not only the fossil record, but the records of earlier discoveries by naturalists and paleontologists.
Interest in the area’s fossils goes back to 1853, when a U.S. Army expedition . . . — — Map (db m68873) HM
The dry plateau lands of this region today are far different from the tree-littered floodplains of 225 million years ago during the geologic period called the Triassic. Imagine a forested Triassic land where crocodile-like phytosaurs inhabited the . . . — — Map (db m68868) HM
Americans first worked the copper deposits at Ajo in 1854, one year after the Gadsden Purchase. These early American miners found abandoned workings and crude mining tools as mute evidence of earlier mining in the district.
During the next half . . . — — Map (db m30802) HM
Ajo was first located on the ground that later became the open pit mine.
The modern city was founded in its present location in 1917 coincident with the beginning of large scale mining of the copper deposits.
Ajo is the home of the New . . . — — Map (db m30759) HM
On August 9, 2002
While protecting visitors from harm,
United States Park Ranger
Was slain in the line of duty.
His service and sacrifice
To the National Park Service
And the people of this country
Will never be . . . — — Map (db m7003) HM
Agua Caliente Ranch
In 1873, Peter B. Bain filed the first formal claim to the land surrounding Agua Caliente Spring. Bain and a partner, Marion T. Beckwith, began a dairy cattle operation by bringing cows north from Sonora. Bain built a house, . . . — — Map (db m34592) HM
Originally called the Superstition Mining District, this district had its heyday from 1893 to 1898.
The greatest producing mines were the Mammoth, Black Queen and Bull Dog. Their output was around a million dollars in gold and silver based on . . . — — Map (db m34059) HM
This Historical Spot
1892 to 1898
was part of the Mammoth Mine claims known as the Montezuma in 1893. Then after 1910 became known as
Calamity. In 1944 this claim became known as the Bluebird.
The Bluebird Mine was found in 1893 and first . . . — — Map (db m93130) HM
Dedicated October 1961
To the Memory of
Jacob Von Walzer
1808 – 1891
One of America's most famed legendary figures, whose exploits have stimulated the imagination of peoples everywhere by his contribution to the heritage of his . . . — — Map (db m74394) HM
Immigrant Mexican miners working for the Ray Consolidated Copper Company named the town of Sonora, built near here in 1911. It boomed as a thriving, dynamic community, rich in Mexican culture, language and traditions. In the mid-1950's, the company . . . — — Map (db m34133) HM
Cypress Copper ― Bagdad Corporation
In memory of
WJ. Pace and J.M. Murphy
Who filed the Bagdad claim January 1, 1882;
John Lawler who patented the claim in
1889; and the Lincoln family who developed
the mine. — — Map (db m31552) HM
Pecan Lane Rural Historic Landscape
Pecan Lane Rural Historic Landscape was added to the National Register of Historic Places on May 2, 2000.
Pecan Lane played a significant part in the . . . — — Map (db m27855) HM
The U.V.C.C. Clarkdale smelter was built through the vision of William A. Clark, owner of the United Verde Mine in Jerome. The Smelter was constructed between 1912-1915 to replace the outdated Jerome smelter.
On May 26, 1915 the first furnace . . . — — Map (db m33199) HM
Largest wooden headframe still standing in Arizona, it was completed in 1918 to haul ore up from mine. Shaft is 1900 feet deep, concrete lined with cross tunnels every 100 feet to Edith shaft. Edith shaft headframe was completed in 1915 to haul men . . . — — Map (db m108834) HM
This is one of the two old furnaces found in place on The Hampton Lode, United Verde Copper Company Mines, at Jerome Arizona on March 5, 1888 when I first visited the property. I started operation on this furnace and also the other one on May 22, . . . — — Map (db m33147) HM
The first mining claims were filed in 1876, within 20 years Jerome was a billion dollar copper mecca and one of the wildest, wickedest mining towns in the west. Drinking, gambling, brawls and frolicking with ladies of the night occurred . . . — — Map (db m33149) HM
State-of-the-art Audrey shaft and headframe was the largest facility of its kind built by the United Verde Extension (UVX) Company during its years of operation. The shaft was constructed in 1918 only after the location of an extraordinarily rich . . . — — Map (db m108833) HM
American History in Arizona is quite recent, although the history of the Native American, Spanish and Mexican occupation periods are much older. Encampments of Native Americans were drawn to the creeks, which offered a fairly reliable source of . . . — — Map (db m33064) HM
who carved this farm out of the desert. We, the Wellton-Mohawk Valley Kiwanis Club, dedicate this spot. Here on May 1, 1952 Michael W. Straus, United States Commissioner of Reclamation turned the first water on to lands of the Wellton-Mohawk . . . — — Map (db m28967) HM
In 1863 Jacob Snively, founder of Gila City, and right hand to Sam Houston, avenger of the Alamo, following blazes left on the saguaros by Mexican and Conquistador predecessors, came to Castle Dome, and within 15 years, Castle Dome City’s population . . . — — Map (db m48924) HM
After 1877 when the title to the springs was finally vested in the federal government by the Supreme Court, Congress began to take an active interest in the Hot Springs Reservation. In 1921 the Reservation officially became Hot Springs National Park. — — Map (db m103164) HM
The first anthracite coal was mined near here on the land of E.B. Alston by a Mr. Walker in 1840. Sample of coal were taken to Little Rock and examined by William E. Woodruff, who pronounced it superior to that found in Pennsylvania. Mr. Walker went . . . — — Map (db m96638) HM
Joseph Silviera Leal and Julia Perry Leal built this tank house on their ranch in the Mission San Jose area of Fremont in 1925. The lower floor was a storage room and the upper floor a bedroom. The tank on top stored 5,000 gallons of water pumped . . . — — Map (db m29090) HM
Pleasanton’s past and the rich stories of the people that have come before can be discovered in the landscape and features of this park. Three periods of occupation trace regional settlement from prehistory to the present day. . . . — — Map (db m24685) HM
On Feb. 8, 1871 two men, the names of Neal F. Taylor and Timothy Cox, were looking for coal in the area and found more than they were looking for. On this creek which comes down through the then Dougherty Ranch the two men found a gold nugget. They . . . — — Map (db m69728) HM
Civil Engineering Landmark
Alameda Creek Water System
San Francisco Section A802 1975
Restoration of the Sunol Water Temple
Started May 27, 1997 . . . — — Map (db m24499) HM
The construction of this historical complex was initiated in 1964, "Alpine County's Centennial Year", by the Historical Society of Alpine County. With concerted effort and fortitude it was completed and duly dedicated as a historical landmark on . . . — — Map (db m3088) HM
Summer after summer the Washoe Indian people visited the valley. Eventually their idyllic retreat was discovered.
During the winter of 1844 Captain John Fremont may have seen this place during his crossing of the Sierra. Fremont’s diary of his . . . — — Map (db m11001) HM
Telltale signs of geologic activity surround Grover Hot Springs State Park. Bold granite peaks to the northwest are the work of immense mountain building forces. Old lava flows cover hundreds of square miles to the east, giving the Markleeville area . . . — — Map (db m13239) HM
The mine was first worked as the Rancheria Mine in 1853. Was renamed the South Mayflower in 1893. It was organized in 1899 as the Bunker Hill Consolidated Mine and operated till 1922, producing $5,154,382 in gold. The shaft reached 3440’ on an . . . — — Map (db m44619) HM
Founded in 1851 working continuously till 1893. Purchased by Keystone Company in 1920 and connected to it. Closed in 1942. Contained 3 shafts: South Spring Hill 1200’, Tallisman 600’, and Medean at 600’ deep. Produced $1,092,472 from . . . — — Map (db m44608) HM
Owned by the Treasure Mining Company of San Francisco. Founded prior to 1867. Sometimes called the Hazard Mine. Shaft reached 3030’ on the incline with winzes. Was connected to the Bunker Hill Mine to the south at the 1600; level. Produced . . . — — Map (db m44620) HM
In 1848, was a village of huts and tents called
by the Mexicans from the bottles strewn about by those who tarried here.
In 1849, it was named
for Colonel Jackson an early day resident.
In 1853, Amador . . . — — Map (db m72060) HM
Viewpoint: 50 yards west, Two of the richest gold mines in Amador County, both reached depths of over one mile. Worked until 1942. Kennedy produced $28.5 million, the Argonaut $ 25 million. Notice headframes west toward Highway 49 and tailing wheels . . . — — Map (db m44586) HM
In the late 1850’s, Andrew Kennedy discovered gold in an outcropping of quartz. The mine produced over $34.2 million in gold, making it one of the richest gold mines in the world. With a depth of 5,912 feet, it was the deepest mine in North America . . . — — Map (db m19797) HM
Founded and active in the 1880’s. 10 stamp mill and a 640’ shaft. Re-opened 1921 till 1929. 20 stamp mill and a 2,291’ incline shaft. Tailing dam north to Raley’s. Produced $564,624 in gold.
Nearby Mines: South Jackson, Fern, Kearsling, . . . — — Map (db m44582) HM
Under This Tablet Is
The Court House Well
Dug in 1851, 52 feet in depth
For generations it was a main
source of domestic water
for the community.
“Gone is the ancient equipment
but still the living water flows.” . . . — — Map (db m27908) HM
Founded in the 1860’s as the Coney Mine, operated continuously from 1875-1914. Later sold to Kennedy. Incline shaft 1865’ deep. Total production $5 million. Note powder house on road to the east. — — Map (db m44585) HM
Founded in 1852 from several claims and consolidated in 1883. Sold to the Argonaut company in 1925 and closed in 1943. Empire workings reopened 1946-47. Pacific shaft 4450’ deep. Total production $13,500,000. Mines north to Cosumnes River: Aden, . . . — — Map (db m44622) HM
Was begun here in the early 1850’s as the Badger and later the Summit Mine. It consolidated with Hayward’s old Eureka Mine in 1924 as the Central Eureka Company, Amador Consolidated Mines. The main shaft reached a depth of 4,965’. It was the last of . . . — — Map (db m13084) HM
Eastern Shaft of the Wildman Mine located at the Post Office site. Used as an air chute and hoist shaft to dispose of waste rock later used to pave roads. The mine founded by William T. Wildman, circa 1851 — — Map (db m12601) HM
Who mined here and gave Sutter Creek its name and under whose regime gold was discovered.
Also to those pioneer mothers, fathers and miners of the Mother Lode, which has produced millions is gold.
This rock used in Mother Lode Champion hand . . . — — Map (db m13407) HM
A man of tremendous ambition, Leland Stanford, Sr., was one of California’s most distinguished businessmen, politicians, philanthropists, and proponents of education. Lured to California by the Gold Rush in 1852, he became an owner of Sutter Creek’s . . . — — Map (db m12610) HM
First (1851) quartz mine & mill in Sutter Creek on Amador Road. Leland Stanford financier, politician and benefactor controlled this mine (1859-1872). Under Supt. R. C. Downs it proved a bonanza, aided Stanford to join the builders of the Central . . . — — Map (db m42409) HM
Founded in 1851 as Amador #2. Renamed the Union Mine and finally the Lincoln Mine by new owner Leland Stanford. Worked until 1924, producing $2 million. Consolidated with Wildman- Mahoney Mines. Foundations and dump remain. — — Map (db m44607) HM
Sutter Creek, California
Like many communities in the Sierra Foothills, Sutter Creek grew out of the great gold rush of 1849. Thousands of men of every nationality arrived seeking fortunes through toil, sweat, and luck. . . . — — Map (db m106380) HM
Founded in early 1850’s by Alvinza Hayward, owner of the Badger and Wolverine Mines. Earned $65,000 a month, reaching a depth of 2,250 in late 1800’s. Shaft sunk to 3,500 feet in 1916. In 1924 was purchased by Central Eureka Company. Closed in 1942 . . . — — Map (db m44606) HM
Founded by William T. Wildman in 1851. Merged with Mahoney Mine and reached a depth of 1500 feet. Combined mines operated a 70 stamp mill and produced a total of $5 million in old by 1924. Powder house used to store explosives. Became part of . . . — — Map (db m12598) HM
Discovered in 1848 by Colonel Stevenson’s men who mined Soldiers’ Gulch in ’49. First covered wagon party sluiced rich gravel beds. By ’53, men swarmed flats and gulches naming them picturesquely. Hydraulic operations, begun in ’55, brought . . . — — Map (db m11365) HM
Started 1848 by soldiers of Colonel Stevenson’s Regiment. Named by miners because of apparent volcanic appearance. Here the first California rental library, 1850, was established. And one of the first “Little . . . — — Map (db m100574) HM
Led from Indian Territory by their New England schoolmaster, a band of young Cherokee Argonauts discovered gold here 1850. Town established 1853 when first stores erected by Welsh miners. During heyday of 1875, Cherokee boasted its own theatre, race . . . — — Map (db m234) HM
Edison Ore Mining & Miocene Mining Co. Oct. 1879 to May 1881 by Major Frank McLaughlin searched for platinum to use in Edison’s electric light globe. Used a process to remove gold from black sands found in mine tailings.
Miocene Mining Co. . . . — — Map (db m61556) HM
Is the site of the longest running continuously operated foundry west of the Mississippi River. All quartz machinery needed for the numerous mines surrounding the Altaville, Angels Camp area was cast here. It was previously known as Altaville . . . — — Map (db m13005) HM
Founded in 1849 by George Angel, who established a mining camp and trading store 200 feet below this marker. A rich gravel mining area and one of the richest quartz mining sections of the Mother Lode. Production records of over $100 million for . . . — — Map (db m14460) HM
A gold furnace was commonly used to separate mercury from the gold. In gold placer mining, in which small specks and veins of gold were often found in quartz, mercury was used to separate the gold from the quartz. This bonding of the mercury . . . — — Map (db m57172) HM
In 1895 Harry Hogarth, James Candy and Naylor Williams filed a claim for the Relief Quartz Mine on a hillside above Six Mile Creek near Angels Camp. In 1920, after working the claim by hand for many years, the Hogarths; Harry Sr, Harry Jr, and . . . — — Map (db m56553) HM
This mine site was located in 1855 by Peter Cameron, A.M. Wood, Will Powell and C.G. Lake. Lightner Mining Company organized and operated from 1896-1915. A 40 stamp mill crushed 500,000 tons of ore from vein which widened to 120’. Ore stopped at . . . — — Map (db m10633) HM
The Hogarth Family has had a long involvement with the mining industry in Angels Camp. Patriarch Henry ("Harry") Hogarth, Sr. was born in Scotland in 1831. He immigrated to the United States at an early age and soon settled on a career as a . . . — — Map (db m56558) HM
Common in California after 1853, the stamp mill consisted from one to five heavy pillar-like stamps whose bottom, (or shoes), were cylindrical hammers made of iron, each weighing as much as one thousand pounds. Power to operate the stamps was . . . — — Map (db m56556) HM
Hydraulic Mining was the largest and most destructive form of mining. Water, brought through flumes and ditches from high up in the mountains, was redirected into an ever-narrowing channel and out through a giant iron nozzle, called a . . . — — Map (db m56649) HM
The body of water you see before you, known as New Melones Lake, is formed by the building of the New Melones Dam. The 625-foot high earth-fill dam was completed in 1979 by the Army Corp of Engineers. A man-made reservoir, the lake hosts a variety . . . — — Map (db m32433) HM
Utica Mine, the most important mine in the Angels District, set national records in the 1890's producing more than 4 million dollars in gold in 30 months. The Utica was also the site of Angels Camp's worst mine disaster when 17 men were buried when . . . — — Map (db m25646) HM
Water wheels were commonplace to the gold mining regions, providing power for mining and milling operations. Powered by water the wheel was attached to a series of belts and gears which turned the machinery to crush the ores. This water wheel . . . — — Map (db m56559) HM
Named Camanche in 1849 after Camanche, Iowa. Once called Limerick. Peak population 1500. Rich mining at nearby Cat Camp, Poverty Bar, and Sand Hill. Mokelumne River water brought in by Lancha Plana and Poverty Bar ditch. . . . — — Map (db m19752) HM
Calaveritas, settled in 1849 by Mexicans, was a flourishing mining town complete with stores, saloons, gambling houses, and fandango halls. Joaquin Murieta is reported to have frequently visited its Fandango Halls and gambling houses. Destroyed by . . . — — Map (db m12992) HM
He conducted a butcher shop, a distillery and various other enterprises in these buildings, for a total of 50 years. Descendants of Luigi and Charlotte Costa have preserved this handsome example of the heritage of Calaveritas. — — Map (db m12994) HM
Copper here discovered by W. K. Reed and Thomas McCarty in 1860. Mines utilized during the Civil War and the First and Second World Wars. During Civil War period was the principal copper producing section of the United States. — — Map (db m13002) HM
Copperopolis Armory, built by public subscription in 1866 for 8,000 dollars, was used by the Union Guard for enlisting and training troops. In 1866 it was sold to the Copperopolis Armory Hall Association for 800 dollars in gold and was used for . . . — — Map (db m13003) HM
Although Copperopolis is known for copper mining, gold was discovered here in 1858, copper in 1860. The gold belt was a mile west of the copper belt.
The Madame Felix Mining District produced 200,000 ounces of gold between 1864 and 1974. . . . — — Map (db m58927) HM
In 1852 a chain cable bridge replaced the ferries that once crossed here, to be supplanted in its turn by a covered truss structure in 1862. Some writers claimed this was the locale of Bret Harte's Poker Flat. In late “49” there was a . . . — — Map (db m13013) HM
Built is 1861 by Antonio and Caterina Gagliardo. Served as a Post Office and social center for the community of Douglas Flat. A hand dug well located next to the store supplied Douglas Flat with good fresh water and remains in good shape today. . . . — — Map (db m58852) HM
Richest placer mining section, extending five miles, in Calaveras County. Received name from Chileans who worked gulch in 1848 and 1849, and scene of the so-called Chilean War. Largest known quartz crystals recovered from mine on south side of gulch. — — Map (db m11515) HM
Mokelumne is an Indian word, first applied to the nearby river. Earliest settlement was at Happy Valley by French trappers. Gold was discovered by discharged members of Stevenson's Regiment in 1848. Center of the richest placer mining section of . . . — — Map (db m12996) HM
A thriving mining camp on rich Pennsylvania Gulch in the 1850’s and 1860’s. Named for Alfred Brown, former owner of Table Mountain Ranch. Laws of Brownsville Mining District provided that each miner could own one wet and one dry claim, not to exceed . . . — — Map (db m11501) HM
Built soon after 1856 by John Thompson operator of Lime Kiln on Posky Hill and stone mason, who built adjoining Traver Building, and many other stone buildings.
Occupied, circa 58, by Meyer & Friedlander, General Merchandise. Later Fred Sackett . . . — — Map (db m13027) HM
Located on the Stockton-Murphy Road at the fourth crossing of the Calaveras River, this early mining settlement, once called Foremans, was famous in the 1850's for its rich placer ores. Later, it became an important stage and freighting depot and . . . — — Map (db m11969) HM
Settled by Mexicans in 1848. Named after Catholic Parish of St. Andrew. First newspaper published here Sept. 24, 1856. Destroyed by fire June 4, 1858 and in 1863. County seat of Calaveras County since 1866. Rendezvous of Joaquin Murietta. Black . . . — — Map (db m11503) HM
Gwin Mine, Paloma, and Lower Rich Gulch were mined for placer in 1849. Quartz was discovered by J. Alexander in 1851. Property acquired by Wm. M. Gwin, California's first U.S. Senator, in 1851. The Gwin Mine closed, in 1908, yielded millions. — — Map (db m14449) HM
This site, in 1849, was a trading center for pioneer miners of Northwestern Calaveras County. It was named after the gulch where William and Dan Carsner found large nuggets imbedded in the course sand.
Water for mining was brought from the Middle . . . — — Map (db m11975) HM
From 1860 to 1906, this area was the largest coal mining district in California. Five towns (Nortonville, Somersville, Stewartville, Judsonville and West Hartley) grew up around twelve major mines. Today the towns are gone. The buildings having been . . . — — Map (db m93611) HM
Miwok Indians inhabited this valley at the base of Mt. Diablo when Spanish explorers came in the 1770’s. Scouts, trappers, prospectors and settlers followed.
In 1857 Clayton was founded by Joel Clayton, a miner, farmer, and wagonmaster from . . . — — Map (db m59954) HM
On January 24, 1848, James Marshall set off early and alone to inspect progress in deepening the ditch that channeled water from the sawmill back to the river. Suddenly, he bent over and picked up a few particles gleaming in the icy water. . . . — — Map (db m17241) HM
This cabin was erected by Marshall and occupied by him from 1856 : 1870. Born in New Jersey October 8, 1810. Came to California in 1845 – Died at Kelsey, this state, August 10, 1885. The discovery of gold by Marshall in the tailrace of John A. . . . — — Map (db m12215) HM
Following the California Gold Rush of ’49, swarms of Chinese miners came to make their mark on the diggings in the Mother Lode, including this Coloma Valley. They were industrious and self-contained and mostly content to thoroughly comb the old . . . — — Map (db m12225) HM
These two stone buildings known as the Wah Hop and Man Lee Stores were built by Jonas Wilder before 1860and leased to Chinese merchants. Located at the edge of a large Chinese community, they sold traditional foods, clothing and other items. Such . . . — — Map (db m12227) HM
”The principle street of Coloma was alive with crowds of moving men, passing and repassing, laughing, talking, and all appearing in the best of humor. It was a scene that no other country could ever imitate.”
from “A . . . — — Map (db m12274) HM
In the 1850’s and 1860’s Coloma had two breweries – the El Dorado and the Coloma – between Brewery Street and the river. An 1853 advertisement in Coloma’s newspaper stated: “Mr. Joseph Wellman would respectfully inform traders, . . . — — Map (db m12324) HM
A large brick building measuring 50 feet by 65 feet, was built here in 1856. Two older frame structures were demolished and were sorely missed by the “old-timers” of that day. The brick for this store probably came from a brickyard 2 . . . — — Map (db m12273) HM
Thousands of people emigrated to California with the dream of riches for themselves and have found their final rest in these hallowed grounds.
The exact date that the cemetery was founded is unknown. The earliest known graves date from 1849. In . . . — — Map (db m12282) HM
“Boys I believe I have found a gold mine” so said James W. Marshall to his millworkers on January 24, 1848, after he discovered gold in the tail race of Captain John A. Sutter’s sawmill at Coloma. This discovery started the great Gold . . . — — Map (db m12224) HM
This cabin is an example of he quarters used by miners during the gold rush. The earliest structures were canvas tents, made from recycled sailcloth taken from abandoned ships in San Francisco Bay. In 1849 Coloma had hundreds of “tent” . . . — — Map (db m12270) HM
Mining ditches were dug by ditch companies to carry vast amounts of water needed for placer mining. Thousands of miles of ditches and flumes were built in the gold country; some brought immense profits to their owners. As mining declined in the . . . — — Map (db m17484) HM
Friday, Aug. 27, 1847…made a contract and entered in partnership with Marshall for a sawmill to be built on the Amer. Fork.
So wrote John Augustus Sutter, methodically recording the agreement that led to California’s astonishing gold . . . — — Map (db m17226) HM
This cemetery, also called “Coloma Protestant” Cemetery, “Sutter’s Mill” Cemetery, and “Vineyard House” Cemetery, is the final resting place for many ‘49ers. Among these graves are the remains of miners, farmers, . . . — — Map (db m12279) HM
Most of Coloma's buildings were wooden, but some were were made of brick or stone to resist fire. This one, known as "Bells Brick Store," was a general merchandise store that also sold feed and grain. The U.S. Post Office was located in this . . . — — Map (db m12207) HM
This is Coloma’s Catholic Cemetery. There were probably some internments here early in the 1850’s. Many of the early burials were marked by wooden markers that have long since disappeared. The oldest existing headstone is dated 1861. This cemetery . . . — — Map (db m12280) HM
The Sierra Nevada House was a handsome two-story building with many windows and a broad balcony. Here guests could always expect fine hospitality, suburb food, excellent ballroom music, fine carriages and comfortable beds. It was opened by Robert . . . — — Map (db m12237) HM
This replica of Sutter’s Mill was based on research from many sources – a drawing by James Marshall, an old photograph of the mill, and the results of several excavations made on the original mill site. The building is 60 feet long, 20 feet . . . — — Map (db m12206) HM
John Sutter’s mill was not used after 1850 and it deteriorated rapidly. The flood of 1862 destroyed the above ground remains of the structure. In 1924 the original mill site was located and the mill monument was built. Major excavations in 1947 . . . — — Map (db m12222) HM
Here in the Valley of the Cul-lum-mah Indians, James W. Marshall discovered gold on January 24, 1848, in the tailrace of Sutter’s sawmill. The Old Coloma Road, opened in 1847 from Sutter’s Fort to Coloma, was used by Marshall to carry the news of . . . — — Map (db m12272) HM
Here on a chilly morning in January, 1848, carpenter James Marshall picked up the small pieces gold that touched off one of the largest, most frenzied mass migrations in history. Within a year of Marshall’s discovery, six thousand gold seekers . . . — — Map (db m17608) HM
El Dorado, meaning “The Gilded One”, was first known as Mud Springs from the boggy quagmire the cattle and horses made of a nearby watering place.
Originally a important camp along the old Carson Emigrant Trail. By 1849 – 50 it . . . — — Map (db m13148) HM
Trading post, emigrant stop, and mining camp of the 1850’s. This became one of the remount stations of the Central Overland Pony Express. Here at the Nevada House on April 13, 1860, pony rider William (Sam) Hamilton changed horses while carrying the . . . — — Map (db m11571) HM
One and a half miles north of Georgetown sailors from Georgia established claims in 1849. General store and mining camp in 1850 which later produced by seam diggins hydraulic and flood sluicing methods. The famous Blue Rock, Pacific Beattie and . . . — — Map (db m54943) HM
The Gold Bug is like the thousands of small mines that once dotted the Sierra foothills. Surprisingly enough, most of the digging in this mine occurred in the 1920’s and 30’s, and not during the Gold Rush. Mines like this were worked by small . . . — — Map (db m69863) HM
Did you know that Gold Bug Park has nearly 100 years of gold mining history?
The 61 acres of the park include six mining claims that were once a part of the Poverty Ridge Mining District. Some of the richest deposits of the Mother Lode were . . . — — Map (db m69861) HM
Established on banks of “Hangtown” Creek as rich mining camp in spring of 1848. Millions in gold were taken from its ravines and hills. Supply center for surrounding mining camps and transportation terminus for famous Comstock Lode. John . . . — — Map (db m12732) HM
Local residents remember that the thunderous crashing staccato of the ore stamp mill could be heard for miles in the narrow canyon. The song of the stamps had been a familiar sound in this area for since George Cozens erected the first mill here in . . . — — Map (db m69864) HM
On this site the Boston-Newton Joint Stock Association encamped on September 26, 1849. The company left Boston April 16 and arrived at Sutter’s Fort September 27. After a remarkable journey across the continent a rich store of written records . . . — — Map (db m11568) HM
This pumping unit, known as a wooden walking beam, was one of the oldest and last remaining in actual use within the Coalinga oil fields. Put into service in July of 1918, it was in continuous use until November 1979. Initial production was 170 . . . — — Map (db m64108) HM
Station A was one of three mines (A. B. & C.) in the Coalinga Hills where coal was mined. The coal was transfered (sic) from mule driven ore wagons. Then by coal cars pulled by old Betsy to the transfer dock at Alcalde in Warthan Canyon, from there . . . — — Map (db m63891) HM
On this spot in the early days was a flowing spring beside which stood a large green bush. Wild horses, deer, elk and antelope watered here and it served as a watering place for sheep and cattle.
The presence of this water caused the railroad in . . . — — Map (db m101867) HM
Groundwater Irrigation Beginnings
The San Joaquin Valley's groundwater reservoir was first tapped with a practical pumping plant 4 miles northeast of here on Dec. 12, 1894. William De La Grange of Selma, tired of . . . — — Map (db m28594) HM
California's first drilled oil wells producing crude to be refined and sold commercially were located on the north fork of the Mattole River approximately three miles east of here. The old Union Mattole Oil Company made its first shipment of oil . . . — — Map (db m51955) HM
The largest gravity fed irrigation district in the western hemisphere, established in 1911. They later assumed control of several water companies and were instrumental in getting the Hoover Dam and the All American Canal built.
They commenced . . . — — Map (db m62035) HM
The historic gold mining community of Obregon lies near here in the Cargo Muchacho Mountains. As a frontier town, Obregon marks the location of several attempts to extract ore during the 1890s through the 1930s. Several different milling . . . — — Map (db m51577) HM
Opened by placer miners after 1852, the gold mines expanded into hard rock quarrying by 1872. Picacho employed 700 miners at its peak from 1895 to 1900. Mill accidents, low ore quality, and the loss of cheap river transport with the building of . . . — — Map (db m50584) HM
In June 1873 Colonel Sherman Stevens built a sawmill and flume on Cottonwood Creek high in the Sierras directly west of this spot. The flume connected with the Los Angeles Bullion Road. The lumber from the flume was used for timbering in the mine . . . — — Map (db m33877) HM
On the marsh near this point borax was discovered in 1881 by Aaron Winters who later sold his holdings to W. T. Coleman of San Francisco. In 1882 Coleman built the Harmony Borax Works and commissioned his superintendent J. W. S. Perry, to design . . . — — Map (db m115053) HM
Though steeped in legend, the frenzied search
for gold and other materials in Death Valley
produced few fortunes. Borax, the "White
Gold of the Desert," ranks as the valley's
most profitable mineral.
Harmony Borax works, in front of you, . . . — — Map (db m32661) HM
In 1862 this high quality deposit of dolomitic limestone was discovered. Its remorte location delayed development until 1883, when the Carson & Colorado Railroad was constructed. In 1885, Drew Haven Dunn filed a mining claim and the Inyo Marble . . . — — Map (db m72577) HM
Designed by Swiss Engineers and built by Chinese laborers in 1879, these kilns produced charcoal for the Modock Mine smelter, about 30 miles west of here. The kilns closed after only three years of use. Because of their brief life and remote . . . — — Map (db m89561) HM
In 1914, gold ore from the Golden Treasure Mine, 5 miles to the east, was processed here for shipment to a smelter. Legend has it that the Ashford Brothers sold the mine for $50,000 to a Hungarian Count, who later sold it to B.W. McCausland for . . . — — Map (db m89558) HM
Kern County experienced a mining boom just like other parts of California. Prospectors arriving from near and far found gold, silver and other valuable ore in Kern County’s mountains beginning in the 1850s.
An assayer tests the purity . . . — — Map (db m26080) HM
Kern County is one of the top oil producing areas in the United States. Four oil fields in Kern County have each produced over one billion barrels of oil.
In 1899, the discovery of oil on land near the Kern River started an oil boom. . . . — — Map (db m25692) HM
Oil was discovered at 70 feet in 1899, when Tom Means persuaded Roe Elwood and Frank Wiseman, aided by Jonathan, Bert, Jed, and Ken Elwood, George Wiseman, and John Marlowe, to dig here for oil. On June 1, 1899, 400 feet to the north, Horace and . . . — — Map (db m25294) HM
Access to adequate water supplies was crucial to the settlement of Kern County.
Water from the Kern River was diverted to irrigate farmlands, but most towns relied on wells for drinking water.
The Fairhaven Water Company built this . . . — — Map (db m25493) HM
This standard end pumping unit was salvaged and erected by the Production Department, Chevron U.S.A., Inc., La Habra to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Standard Oil Company of California
The unit is composed of original parts from the San . . . — — Map (db m26118) HM
This is one of the original twenty mule team wagons, built to carry borax out of Death Valley – through 165 miles of desolated mountains and blistering deserts – to the nearest railroad junction in Mojave. It took 20 days to make the . . . — — Map (db m115047) HM
America's most spectacular gusher blew in here on March 14, 1910. Initially 18,000 barrels per day, the flow later reached an uncontrolled peak of 100,000 barrels per day, completely destroying the derrick. This Union Oil Company well produced nine . . . — — Map (db m54267) HM
Eight miles due west of this marker stood one of California's first commercial oil refineries. Between August 1864 and April 1867, approximately 4,000 gallons of illuminating oil produced there was shipped to San Francisco by the Buena Vista . . . — — Map (db m78295) HM
This display commemorates the Mojave area's rich mining history, which began with the discovery of gold on the Little Buttes north of the present day Silver Queen Road.
That discovery by W.W.Bowers was followed by many others in the region, . . . — — Map (db m53129) HM
Just west of this point was the Southern Pacific terminus for the Twenty-Mule-Team Borax wagons that operated between Death Valley and Mojave from 1884 to 1889. The route ran from the Harmony Borax Mining Company works, later acquired by the Pacific . . . — — Map (db m115051) HM
In May 1899, Thomas A. Means owned the land where James and Jonathan Elwood discovered oil on the North Bank of the Kern River. They used a hand auger under the edge of the cliff checking for oil, and later moved to the top to drill. Oil surfaced . . . — — Map (db m64665) HM
Rand Camp began as a tent city, erected by eager miners who rushed to the Mojave Desert following a major gold discovery in April 1895. A year later, the town of 1,500 had been renamed "Randsburg." Saloons sprouted, a U.S. Post Office was . . . — — Map (db m53869) HM
The Yellow Aster, or Rand Mine, was discovered in April, 1895 by Singleton Burcham and Mooers. The town of Randsburg quickly developed followed by the supply town of Johannesburg in 1896. Both names were adopted from the profusion of minerals . . . — — Map (db m50461) HM
Gold was discovered on the slope of Rand Mountain in 1895. From this discovery, the town of Randsburg sprang up almost overnight. By 1899, the town had over 3500 residents. Randsburg boasted a 100-stamp mill and conservative estimates are that . . . — — Map (db m78578) HM
1010 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 810