Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Science & Medicine Historical Markers

3108 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 2908
 
Confederate Hospital & Marker image, Touch for more information
By Tim Carr, January 6, 2007
Confederate Hospital & Marker
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — Confederate Hospital1861 - 1865
“Sanctuary for valiant and courageous men” Built for a river tavern 1836 — Map (db m27986) HM
Alabama (Butler County), Greenville — Site of Confederate Hospital1861 – 1865
Title is textMap (db m130053) HM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Anniston — 7 — Anniston Memorial HospitalMay 14, 1961 — Anniston Civil Rights Trail —
When seven injured "Freedom Riders" arrived at the Hospital on this date, the mob that had attacked them earlier in the day followed. The Riders were testing desegregation of public transportation in the South by riding buses. The bus they . . . — Map (db m106647) HM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Jacksonville — Confederate Hospital
This Church was used for a Confederate Hospital During the War Between The States Erected by General John H. Forney Chapter U.D.C. Sept 27, 1937 — Map (db m36539) HM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Jacksonville — Doctor Francis' Office
This general practitioner's office is the only remaining structure of its type in northeast Alabama. It was built on the court-house square about 1850 by Dr. J. C. Francis, a beloved family doctor who served Jacksonville for more than 50 years. He . . . — Map (db m23350) HM
Alabama (Cherokee County), Centre — Mose Hampton 1808-1885Early Black Leader and Inventor in Cherokee County
Mose Hampton bought his freedom prior to the Civil War. He was a builder, assisted in laying out and surveying the town of Centre, a minister in the Episcopal Methodist North, and an inventor. Mr. Hampton owned land in the vicinity of this marker on . . . — Map (db m120046) HM
Alabama (Chilton County), Marbury — Memorial TreePlanted February 12, 1928
Two cedar trees were planted and dedicated at the Alabama Confederate Soldiers' Home on February 12, 1928 in memory of Mrs. Sarah H. Bellinger and 1st Lt. Robert C. Norris. Mrs. Bellinger and her husband, Dr. Carnot Bellinger, established the . . . — Map (db m129412) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Sheffield — 101 MemorialWorld War I
Dedicated to Civilian defense workers in critical industry for the war. US Army directed construction and production via Air Nitrate Corp. Army Projects here in 1917-1918 required 20,000 workers recruited from across the USA. The great flu-pandemic . . . — Map (db m138776) HM WM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — Yellow Fever Epidemic 1878 / The 31 Victims of Yellow Fever Who died in Tuscumbia
Side AYellow Fever Epidemic 1878 Taking 31 Lives in Tuscumbia Citizen's Relief Committee: F.H. Aydlett, H.M. Finley, J.J. Davis, James Jackson, Chm. J.W. Rand Jr., F.A. Ross, J.N. Sampson, Sec. and C. A. Womble. . . . — Map (db m29263) HM
Alabama (Conecuh County), Burnt Corn — Dr. John Watkins1785 - 1853
One of the framers of the constitution of the State of Ala, represented Monroe Co. in the first legislature of the new state in 1819, rep- resented Butler, Conecuh & Monroe Cos. in the State Sen- ate 1820-1842-1845. He was the . . . — Map (db m81321) HM
Alabama (Conecuh County), Burnt Corn — Dr. Watkins House
This two and a half story structure with unusual lower front extension was the home of Dr. John Watkins. Dr. Watkins was one of the first and few physicians in this part of the Mississippi Territory. Before coming to Burnt Corn, he lived in . . . — Map (db m81297) HM
Alabama (Conecuh County), Evergreen — In Honor of Native Son Ernest Stanley Crawford, M.D.
This pioneer surgeon, teacher and medical statesman was born May 12, 1922 in Evergreen. He worked at Conecuh Drug Company as a youngster and graduated from Evergreen High School (1940). His undergraduate degree was received from the University of . . . — Map (db m81289) HM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — Weiss CottageCullman’s Oldest House
Preservation of this Weiss Cottage was initiated by the Cullman County Historical Society and implemented by the Cullman County Federation of Women’s Clubs, City of Cullman Bicentennial Commission and the City of Cullman Community Development . . . — Map (db m33836) HM
Alabama (Dale County), Ozark — Dowling - Steagall House
Constructed in c. 1900 by G. P. Dowling, the Dowling-Steagall House is a Classical Revival dwelling featuring a full-height portico with Ionic columns and an elaborate door surround. A judge and prominent businessman, G. P. Dowling organized Ozark's . . . — Map (db m36510) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Cahaba — Cahaba Drug Store
The Cahaba Drug Store once covered this cellar hole. It was operated by Herbert Hudson and J. D. Craig. On the same lot were T. L. Craig's large family grocery, Coleman's dry goods store, and Fellows' Jewelry. All these men were related . . . — Map (db m23008) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Selma — Mabry - Jones Home
This Greek Revival dwelling was built c. 1850 by Dr. Albert Gallatin Mabry, a prominent physician and member of the Alabama Legislature. Dr. Mabry was a leader in organizing the Alabama State Medical Association and instrumental in passing . . . — Map (db m83580) HM
Alabama (Elmore County), Wetumpka — Bartram's Trail
William Bartram, America’s first native born artist-naturalist, passed through Elmore County during the Revolutionary era, making the first scientific notations of its flora, fauna and inhabitants. In 1776 the appointed botanist of Britain’s King . . . — Map (db m69431) HM
Alabama (Escambia County), Brewton — Pilgrims' Rest Cemetery
This cemetery was established in 1854 when Pilgrims' Rest Baptist Church was founded across the road on September 17 in that same year. The cemetery remained prominent in Alco even though the original congregation moved and Alco Methodist Church . . . — Map (db m130672) HM
Alabama (Etowah County), Attalla — Camp SibertWorld War II 1942-1945
On 6/18/1942 the U.S. took possession of 36,300 acres in Etowah and adjoining St. Clair County to establish Alabama's first Chemical Warfare Center. The area was dedicated on 12/25/1942 and named for U.S. Army M/G William Luther Sibert, first Chief . . . — Map (db m75194) HM
Alabama (Etowah County), Gadsden — Sisters Missionary Servants Of The Most Blessed Trinity
On January 25, 1925 the Sisters acquired the 25 - bed Gadsden General Hospital on Chestnut Street and renamed it Holy Name of Jesus Hospital. The Hospital grew under the leadership of the Founders, Father Thomas A. Judge, C. M. and Mother Mary . . . — Map (db m39141) HM
Alabama (Hale County), Greensboro — Gayle - Tunstall House
Built in 1828-29 by John Gayle, sixth governor of Alabama. Birthplace of Amelia Gayle Gorgas, wife of Gen. Josiah Gorgas, Chief of Ordnance, CSA, mother of Wm. Crawford Gorgas, US Surgeon General who freed Canal Zone of yellow fever. . . . — Map (db m83754) HM
Alabama (Hale County), Prairieville — Dr. Benjamin M. Duggar1872-1956
Discover of the antibiotic, Aureomycin Son of a beloved country doctor, he carried a dedicated spirit to the frontiers of science Having won degrees at Alabama, Auburn, Missouri, Harvard and Cornell, he taught at Cornell, Missouri, . . . — Map (db m38191) HM
Alabama (Houston County), Columbia — The Chacato People — Creek Heritage Trail —
The original builders of the Omussee Creek mound had abandoned the site by around 1550, but the area continued to be occupied by Native American groups well into the early nineteenth century. As early as the 1630s, Spanish missionaries from . . . — Map (db m115037) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Jordan Home2834 Highland Avenue
Dr. Mortimer Harvie Jordan and his wife, Florence E. Mudd, constructed their home between 1906 and 1908. After service in the Confederate army, Jordan studied medicine in Cincinnati and New York (under Alabama's famous gynecologist, Dr. J. Marion . . . — Map (db m26743) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Pauline Bray Fletcher1878 - 1970
In Tribute to Pauline Bray Fletcher 1878 - 1970 The First Black Registered Nurse of Alabama Through self-sacrifice, perseverance founded in 1926 Camp Pauline Bray Fletcher. Renewing the faith and the good health of all black . . . — Map (db m27393) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — School of Medicine
Front of Marker: Opened as Alabama Medical College in 1859 in Mobile by Josiah C. Nott and other physicians as part of the University of Alabama. Closed by the Civil War in 1861 it reopened in 1868. Reorganized in 1897, it became the . . . — Map (db m83838) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — St. Vincent’s HospitalBirmingham’s Oldest Hospital
Named for St. Vincent de Paul, founder of the Daughters of Charity in France in 1633, the hospital opened December 20, 1898 in the temporarily rented Henry F. DeBardelaben mansion at 206 15th Street South. Father Patrick A. O’Reilly founded the . . . — Map (db m27523) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Hoover — Founding Of Hoover
The City of Hoover has grown rapidly since its incorporation in 1967 from a small four block area west of this site. A metal shed behind Employers Ins. Co. became the first fire station and “city hall.” A bank, grocery, hardware, drug . . . — Map (db m28448) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Mountain Brook — First Tuberculosis Sanatorium
1,000 feet East a small group of tents erected May, 1910 by the Anti Tuberculosis Association of Jefferson County constituted the first effort to aid victims of tuberculosis in North Alabama. — Map (db m26964) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Dr. Hicks Boulevard
This boulevard was named in honor of Dr. Leonard Jerry Hicks by the City of Florence in 1981. Dr. Hicks was a prominent Black leader of the community and was recognized for his skills as a physician across the State of Alabama. He was born September . . . — Map (db m35257) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Ellen Dorrit HoffleitCity of Florence Walk of Honor
Dr. Ellen D. Hoffleit, celebrated worldwide for her many contributions to astronomy, discovered more than 1,200 variable stars. She authored Yale Bright Star Catalogue which is used in almost every astronomical observatory in the world. . . . — Map (db m99381) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Locust Dell Academy1834~1843
On this site Nicholas Marcellus Hentz conducted a girls' school. Native of Metz, France, Hentz was a painter, entomologist, author, and was once a professor at University of North Alabama. Experimenting with silkworms, he planted groves of mulberry . . . — Map (db m84029) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Lynn Middleton SibleyCity of Florence Walk of Honor
Devoting her career to reducing childbirth mortality among women and newborns across the world, Lynn Sibley developed a 21st century community-based model for maternal and newborn health in low-resource countries. — Map (db m84031) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Pesthouse and Cemetery / Pestilences1866 / "Prior to 20th Century"
Side 1 Following an outbreak of the dreaded plague, smallpox (Variola), at Florence during the winter of 1865-66, the Board of Alderman adopted a resolution on January 2, 1866, that a Pesthouse be “erected at the vineyard as soon as . . . — Map (db m84043) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Ronnie Gene FlippoCity of Florence Walk of Honor
In his 14 years in the U.S. House of Representatives (1977-1991), Ronnie Flippo held such important posts as the chairmanship of the Space Science Subcommittee during the development of the space shuttle, Columbia. — Map (db m84045) HM
Alabama (Lawrence County), Courtland — Harris-Simpson Home
Side A This circa 1820 house is thought to be one of the oldest houses in Courtland. Occupying a lot platted by the Courtland Land Company in 1818, the house faces North toward what was once the main Tuscumbia Road. Dr. Jack Shackelford . . . — Map (db m84306) HM
Alabama (Lawrence County), Moulton — Judge Thomas M. Peters
A scientist of national fame, Peters (1810-1888) lived for many years in Moulton with his wife Naomi (Leetch), a relative of President James K. Polk, who possibly visited here. A man of many talents, Peters was a noted linguist, early civil rights . . . — Map (db m69670) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Cary HallBuilt 1940 — A Memorial to Dr. Charles Allen Cary (1861-1935) —
(Side 1) Dr. Charles Cary, a native of Iowa and graduate of Iowa State in 1887, came to Auburn in 1892 and taught the first class of veterinary medicine at Alabama Polytechnic Institute. He has been called the Father of Veterinary . . . — Map (db m74436) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — African-American Rosemere CemeteryLee County
Side 1 On February 9, 1876, the City of Opelika paid D.B. Preston $80 for two acres of land to establish an African-American section of Rosemere Cemetery. This rectangular area of the cemetery contains 176 blocks, with 16 being partial . . . — Map (db m75139) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — Darden House
Dr. John Wesley Darden, was the first African American physician to treat patients within a 30-mile radius of Opelika. He built the Darden House in 1904, and later married Maude Jean Logan of Montgomery. Dr. and Mrs. Darden shaped many lives through . . . — Map (db m75131) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Elkmont — Downtown Scenes
01: Looking south on Railroad Street. 02: McWilliams Store, June 1913. 03: Drugstore interior, 1940s. 04: Citizens' Bank, early 1900s. 05: Elkmont Post Office, circa 1900s. 06: Telephone switchboard, early 1900s. 07: Elkmont Post . . . — Map (db m93856) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Notasulga — Camp WattsNamed for Thomas H. Watts — CSA Attorney General (1862-63) and Alabama Governor (1863-65) —
The camp on this site served as a military hospital, a camp of conscription and instruction, a supply depot, and a cemetery during the War Between the States. At one time, there were hundreds of headstones and rocks marking the final resting place . . . — Map (db m73529) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Notasulga — Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church "The Tree"
It was under this tree that participants in the U.S. Public Health Study of Untreated Syphilis in Negro Males in Macon County, Alabama, met to wait for Nurse Rivers, the Shiloh School nurse, to come and either administer treatment, update health . . . — Map (db m95113) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Notasulga — Shiloh-Rosenwald School / Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church
Side 1 Shiloh-Rosenwald School The Shiloh-Rosenwald School, located in Notasulga, was a collaboration between educator Booker T. Washington and Julius Rosenwald, CEO of Sears. Rosenwald schools are landmarks in the history of . . . — Map (db m95109) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee — Bartram's Trail
William Bartram, America's first native born artist - naturalist, passed through Macon County during the Revolutionary era, making the first scientific notations of its flora, fauna and inhabitants. As the appointed botanist of Britain's King George . . . — Map (db m99676) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee — The Tuskegee Veterans Administration Hospital
The Tuskegee Veterans Administration Hospital (VA), established in 1923, is significant as the first VA hospital in the nation to be administered by an all African American medical staff. After WWI, African American veterans found it difficult . . . — Map (db m101900) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Carver Research Foundation1951
On February 10, 1940 George Washington Carver signed the deed of gift establishing the Carver Foundation with a $33,000 contribution from his personal savings. According to Carver, the foundation was established "for the purpose of combining . . . — Map (db m101912) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Carver's Laboratory — Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site —
The primary idea in all of my work was to help the farmer and fill the poor man's empty dinner pail . . . —George Washington Carver George Washington Carver taught classes and developed new products from peanuts, . . . — Map (db m101938) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Enhancing Health Care — Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site —
Let our societies spend less money in taking care of the sick, and much more money in promoting the health of the race . . . . Let us make health contagious in every community rather than disease. —Booker T. Washington, Address . . . — Map (db m101940) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — George Washington CarverDied in Tuskegee Alabama — January 5, 1943 —
A life that stood out as a gospel of self-forgetting service. He could have added fortune to fame but caring for neither he found happiness and honor in being helpful to the world. The centre of his world was the South where he was born in . . . — Map (db m100165) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Burritt Museum
Situated on 167 acres of some of the most scenic land in North Alabama, the museum and its grounds contain items of local and national interest. This property was willed to the City of Huntsville in 1955 by Dr. William Henry Burritt . . . — Map (db m27876) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Historic Viduta / Hotel Monte Sano
(Front):Historic Viduta "Viduta"-derived from Spanish "vida" meaning "life" In a time when yellow fever, malaria, and cholera threatened, Dr. Thomas Fearn and his brothers Robert and George were drawn by the cool air and medicinal . . . — Map (db m27795) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Saturn V
Used during the Apollo Lunar Landing Program of the 1960's and 1970's, the Saturn V rocket remains the largest, most powerful rocket ever built. This full scale mock up was completed in July 1999 to serve as the focal point for the 30th . . . — Map (db m85601) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Superconductivity Discovery
A graduate student from The University of Alabama in Huntsville achieved a major advance in science at this site on January 29, 1987. He discovered that a material composed of Yttrium, Barium, Copper, and Oxygen would superconduct—show no . . . — Map (db m94963) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Barton Academy
The first public school in Alabama built in 1835-36, used continuously since that time for the purpose of education except for a brief period during the Civil War when it was a hospital. Named for State Rep. Willoughby Barton of Mobile who was the . . . — Map (db m143517) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — 32 — Dr. H. Roger Williams(1869-1929)
Dr. Williams opened one of the early African-American drugstores- Live and Let Live on this site in 1901. Born on a sugar plantation in Louisiana, he graduated from Meharry Medical School in 1900 and was the second black physician to practice . . . — Map (db m86393) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — 16 — Dr. James A. Franklin(1886-1972)
This was the residence of Dr. Franklin, who served the medical needs of Mobile for fifty-three years. He never turned an indigent patient away. Franklin was the only African-American to graduate from the University of Michigan in 1911. He opened his . . . — Map (db m111350) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — 15 — Dr. Thomas N. Harris
Dr. Harris, born April 6, 1868, in Montgomery, Alabama was one of the earliest black physicians to practice medicine in Mobile. He graduated in 1899 from Meharry Medical College in Nashville, Tennessee with dual degrees in dentistry and medicine. To . . . — Map (db m86400) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Gen. William C. Gorgas
On this site stood the Gov. John Gayle home, birthplace of William Crawford Gorgas, world famous sanitarian, Panama Canal Zone, 1902-14; Surgeon Gen. & Maj. General; conqueror of dread plagues of yellow fever and malaria. — Map (db m98590) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — It Takes a Village
(front side) Mobile’s Hidden Figures initiative originated from the Mobile United Leadership Mobile’s Class of 2017 inaugural Diversity and Inclusion team. The objective is to raise awareness of diverse community members . . . — Map (db m117243) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Mobile City Hospital
Built in 1830 by Thomas S. James, Mobile's third hospital has been preserved in its original design except for additions at each end, serving without interruption through disastrous fires, yellow fever epidemics, and war. For 83 years between . . . — Map (db m86404) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Office of Dr. Henry S. LeVert, 1804-1864.
Mobile Physician, 1829-1864. Son of Dr. Claudeus LeVert, who came to Virginia as fleet surgeon under General Rochambeau. This Italianate style building served as a doctor's office for one hundred years, 1858-1954. Preserved by the action of the . . . — Map (db m40667) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — 33 — St. Martin de Porres Hospital
Established in 1947 by the Catholic Archdiocese of Mobile for the black community because segregation prevented black doctors from admitting patients to the City Hospital. Present building erected in 1950 and named for St. Martin de Porres, who was . . . — Map (db m111355) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — U.S. Marine Hospital
Built 1838-1841. In Operation 1842-1952. Served Confederate and Union Troops, 1861-1865 — Map (db m86357) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mount Vernon — 2 — Mount Vernon Arsenal — Mount Vernon History Trail —
The cannon in front of you, buried muzzle-down during an 1873 land survey to mark a corner of the Mount Vernon Military Reservation, is just one of many reminders that Mount Vernon hosted important U.S. Army posts throughout the 19th century. . . . — Map (db m149304) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mt. Vernon — Mt. Vernon Arsenal and Barracks/Searcy Hospital
(obverse) Mt. Vernon Arsenal and Barracks Established 1828 by Congress to store arms and munitions for U. S. Army. Original structures completed 1830's. Arsenal appropriated by Confederacy 1861; equipment moved to Selma . . . — Map (db m70593) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Monument to Powered Flight
In tribute to the perseverance and achievements of the Wright Brothers and the leadership and foresight of the Citizens of Montgomery, Alabama. Together they established the nation's first school of civil aviation in March, 1910, launching . . . — Map (db m64567) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — A RefugeSelma to Montgomery National Historic Trail
The City of St Jude, always a refuge for African Americans, hosted the marchers on the last night of their journey. This religious complex—named for the patron saint of impossible situations—housed a school church and hospital and had a . . . — Map (db m91481) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — City of St. Jude/The Selma to Montgomery March
(side 1) City of St. Jude Founded by Father Harold Purcell in the 1930s, the City of St. Jude included church, school, medical facilities, social center and rectory. Its mission was to provide spiritual, educational, social and . . . — Map (db m86070) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Dr. J. Marion Sims
This tablet marks the site of the office and infirmary of DR. J. MARION SIMS Here, in 1845, he performed the first closure of a vesico-vaginal fistula with wire suture, using a pewter spoon as speculum. This operation made him famous throughout the . . . — Map (db m36576) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Forest Avenue's Medical Facilities / Oak Park Montgomery's First Public Park
Side A Forest Avenue's Medical Facilities With the growth of the Highland Park suburb in the 1890s, a medical community developed along Forest Avenue. In 1895, Dr. Isaac Watkins opened Highland Park Sanatorium in three frame . . . — Map (db m71264) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — James Marion Sims1813 - 1888 — Father of Modern Gynecology —
Montgomery 1848-1849 Operations he devised cured a then considered hopeless malady—gaining him fame as a benefactor of women. Founded—Women's Hospital—City of New York—-1855. Decorated by Emperor of France—Kings . . . — Map (db m87208) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — John Allan WyethM.D., L.L.D.
. . . — Map (db m36639) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Office of Dr. Luther Leonidas HillOffice Site of Dr. J. Marion Sims
(Side A):Office of Dr. Luther Leonidas HillThis early 20th-century building was office of Dr. L.L. Hill who, in 1902, performed first open heart surgery in the Western Hemisphere when he sutured stab wound in young boy's heart. A . . . — Map (db m86413) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Percy Lavon JulianScientist and Humanitarian — 1899-1975 —
Born on the west side of Holt Street, April 11, 1899, Percy Lavon Julian entered Depauw University in 1916; graduated in chemistry with Phi Beta Kappa honors. Earned master's from Harvard, Ph.D. at the University of Vienna. His studies led to a . . . — Map (db m86418) HM
Alabama (Morgan County), Valhermoso Springs — Valhermoso Springs"Vale of Beauty"
The restorative qualities of the mineral springs here attracted settlement in the early 1800s. Variously known as Chunn Springs (after Lancelot Chunn) and Manning Springs (after Robert Manning), the spot was named for early developers of the resort . . . — Map (db m37208) HM
Alabama (Pickens County), Carrollton — Kelly - Stone - Hill Place
Former home of John Herbert Kelly, brigadier general, C.S. Army, born in Carrollton, March 31, 1840. Appointed to West Point at age 17, resigned a few months before graduation. Fought at Shiloh, Perryville, Murfreesboro and Chickamauga. Mortally . . . — Map (db m37447) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Troy — Cowart HallRenovated 1993
Born in Henderson, Alabama in 1850, Fletcher Jackson Cowart began his working career as a public school teacher. He later served superintendencies for both the Pike County and the Troy City schools. He was editor of the Troy Messenger and a . . . — Map (db m38934) HM
Alabama (Shelby County), Calera — James Daniel HardyMay 14, 1918 – February 19, 2003
Side 1 James Hardy and his twin brother, Julian, were born and reared in Newala, Alabama, 3 miles east of Montevallo. He attended the consolidated grammar school nearby which had 3 rooms for the 6 grades, then attended high school in . . . — Map (db m76244) HM
Alabama (Shelby County), Vandiver — Sidney Word Lee(1864-1944)
Founder of Buffalo Rock Company (1901) in Birmingham and creator of Buffalo Rock Ginger Ale, a medicinal tonic first used in the Civil War. Lee's vision and influential support inspired the construction of this road across Double Oak Mountain . . . — Map (db m52693) HM
Alabama (Sumter County), Livingston — Livingston, Alabama / Livingston's Bored Well
Side 1 Livingston, Alabama Prior to the signing of the Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek on September 27, 1830, this site belonged to the Choctaw Nation. Early settlers to the area came from the Carolinas, Georgia, Tennessee, and . . . — Map (db m92665) HM
Alabama (Tallapoosa County), Dadeville — Grafenberg Medical Institute1852 - 1861
Alabama’s first medical school. Trained physicians who rendered great service to the State and Confederacy. Closed by war and death of its founder, Philip M. Shepard, M.D. — Map (db m28741) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Amelia Gayle Gorgas1826-1913
Daughter of John Gayle, Governor of Alabama. Wife of Josiah Gorgas, Brigadier General, C. S. A. Mother of William Crawford Gorgas, Surgeon General, U. S. A. Untiring nurse in Confederate Hospitals, 1861-1865. First Historian Alabama Division, . . . — Map (db m33653) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Bryce Hospital
Alabama state hospitals inspired by Dorothea Dix in 1849. Opened 1861. Peter Bryce, J. T. Searcy and W. D. Partlow were the superintendents during the next 87 years. — Map (db m40480) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Bryce Hospital Cemetery #2
One of four historic cemeteries located on the campus of Bryce Hospital, Alabama's oldest mental health facility, this cemetery was established in 1922 and was closed for burials in 1953. It contains approximately 1550 burials mostly marked with . . . — Map (db m40449) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Druid City Hospital School Of Nursing
Constructed in 1923 through gift of J. T. Horne, this building occupied by Druid City Hospital School of Nursing from 1923 to 1947. Used by University of Alabama from 1951 to 1954 to house first state supported collegiate school of nursing in . . . — Map (db m29608) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Gorgas House
Built 1829 as University dining hall. Remodeled as a residence 1840. Occupied by Gorgas family 1879-1953 (Reverse): Preserved as a memorial to: General Josiah Gorgas (1818-1883) Chief of Ordnance, C. S. A. 1861-1865 . . . — Map (db m29301) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Maxwell Hall
Here, on the highest point of the original campus, stands the first celestial observatory at The University of Alabama and one of the oldest observatory buildings in the United States. Through the efforts of Professor F. A. P. Barnard, the first . . . — Map (db m34842) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Old Bryce Cemetery
This is the oldest of four historic cemeteries located on the campus of Bryce Hospital, Alabama's oldest mental health facility. The first recorded burial dates to 1861. While only a few graves are currently marked, it is estimated that thousands of . . . — Map (db m40450) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Oliver-Barnard HallCollege of Arts and Sciences
Erected: 1889 Reconstructed: 2000 Named for professor, scientist, and photographer F.A.P. Barnard who pioneered the study of astronomy at The University of Alabama and established its chapter of Phi Beta Kappa in 1851. On August 26, 2000, . . . — Map (db m29402) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Replica Gates for Northington General Hospital
These gates are replicas of the gates for Northington General Hospital, a U.S. Army Hospital that operated on this site during World War II. From 1947 to 1952, Northington General Hospital was the temporary home of DCH Regional Medical Center while . . . — Map (db m35517) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Smith Hall, 1908
Named for Eugene Allen Smith (1841-1927), University Professor and State Geologist, who served the State in this dual capacity for fifty-four years. Smith rebuilt the collections of the Alabama Museum of Natural History, which had been . . . — Map (db m29403) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — The Jemison Home
Built by Robert Jemison Jr. Completed 1862, the 26 room Italian Villa style mansion is distinguished by its octagonal cupola and delicate carved fretwork. Jemison, a member of Alabama Legislature for 20 years (1840-63), 1861 Secession Convention (he . . . — Map (db m35321) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — The Little Round House
Constructed as a guard house for the Alabama Corps of Cadets during the early 1860's, the Little Round House provided shelter from inclement weather for cadets on sentry duty. Until 1865, it also housed the University Drum Corps, which was composed . . . — Map (db m25387) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Tuomey HallCollege of Arts and Sciences — Erected: 1888, Reconstructed: 20002 —
Designed by Montgomery architect W. A. Crossland and named for noted professor and state geologist Michael Tuomey. Tuomey's survey resulted in the landmark 1849 geological map of Alabama and his work began the Geological Survey of Alabama. . . . — Map (db m29400) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Tuscaloosa County Veterans Memorial
Provided by local veterans and other dedicated citizens, this memorial pays tribute to all veterans of Tuscaloosa County who were engaged in the nine major American wars, 1776-1976. Rising centrally is the mainmast of World War II heavy cruiser USS . . . — Map (db m35475) HM
Alaska (Denali Borough), Denali National Park — Mountains in Motion / Hot Rocks
Mountains in Motion Though the visible glaciers appear remote - gleaming between distant peaks - the valley below is strewn with signs of masses glaciation: stranded boulders, gouged-out ponds, and gravel outwash plains. The last big . . . — Map (db m71362) HM
Alaska (Fairbanks North Star Borough), Fairbanks — FAI-030 — Immaculate Conception Church
By August, 1904, when a Catholic priest arrived in Fairbanks, all choice lots in the center of town were taken. Father Francis Monroe, a Jesuit missionary, selected land at the edge of town, bordering the Chena River. The first Roman Catholic Church . . . — Map (db m135350) HM
Alaska (Fairbanks North Star Borough), Fairbanks — James A. MapleP. E. Arctic Pipeline Pioneer — 1937 - 2001 —
Dr. Maple was a structural engineer and principal designer of the trans-Alaska pipeline. He holds three patents for his development of innovative pipe supports that enabled the warm oil pipeline to safely traverse areas of permafrost. He pioneered . . . — Map (db m58949) HM
Alaska (Kenai Peninsula Borough), Moose Pass — Gold Discoveries Trigger Stampede
Prospectors found gold in 1895 under the present Canyon Creek Highway Bridge and on Mills Creek. Those discoveries launched a rush to Turnagain Arm more than a year before the Klondike Gold Rush. Prospectors Poke Around After gold was . . . — Map (db m49599) HM
Alaska (Nome Borough), Brevig Mission — Brevig Mission Memorial Cross1918 Influenza Pandemic — November 15-20, 1918 —
The following 72 Inupiat Eskimos are interred in this common grave. Pray, honor and remember these villagers, who lost their lives during the short span of five days, in the influenza pandemic, November 15-20, 1918. Abeyorok, Mike, 26 • . . . — Map (db m149930) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 18 — White Mountain Hospital
Built during the great depression using native stone & W.P.A. labor, this twenty-bed facility finally opened in 1939 when a doctor agreed to come to Round Valley to finish, lease & run the hospital for 10 years. — Map (db m36649) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), San Simon — The San Simon Rest Area - Percy Jones, Jr.
Dedicated to the Engineering Achievements of Percy Jones, Jr. 1888 – Chief locating engineer who by sheer genius personally located more miles of Arizona highways than any other person. His college training in mining and geology . . . — Map (db m37899) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — 42-Inch Reflecting Telescope
This 11-ton telescope, built by the Alvan Clark & Sons Telescope Manufacturing Company of Cambridgeport, Massachusetts, was installed at Lowell Observatory in 1909. It came with four secondary mirror combinations so that it could be operated at four . . . — Map (db m149451) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — Clark Dome Weather Station
Understanding and predicting local weather patterns helps astronomers plan successful observing runs. Because of this, observatories such as Lowell typically maintain weather stations to monitor the conditions. One such station was set up at the . . . — Map (db m149452) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — Henry Lee GiclasDecember 10, 1910 - April 2, 2007
Another life-long employee of Lowell Observatory, Henry is best remembered for his Proper Motion Study of 1971, which entailed repeating the Pluto search plates after 25 years to determine whatever changes had taken place in the background of stars. . . . — Map (db m149456) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — Lowell ObservatoryNational Historic Landmark
Lowell Observatory has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 this site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the History of The . . . — Map (db m149455) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — Raymond Building1911
As the keystone shows, this building was constructed in 1911. Its owner was R.O. Raymond, M.D., one of Flagstaff’s first doctors. Raymond came west for his health. After a short stay in Williams, he moved to Flagstaff in 1906. He was the doctor . . . — Map (db m59511) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — The Lawrence Lowell Telescope
A gift to the Observatory from President A. Lawrence Lowell through this instrument the ninth planet Pluto was first found in 1930 ”It means a planet out there as yet unseen by Man, but certain sometime to be detected and added to the . . . — Map (db m149454) HM
Arizona (Graham County), Fort Thomas — Geronimo
Named for the rebellious medicine man who led the Chiricahua Apaches on their last raids, to surrender, and then into exile in Florida and Oklahoma. Their descendants lived in Eastern Arizona again. This was also the site of original Camp Thomas, . . . — Map (db m28050) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Chandler — Dr. A. J. Chandler1859 – 1950
He knew no yesterdays His living was for tomorrow Founder of the town of Chandler Built the San Marcos Hotel Arizona’s first veterinarian Father of modern irrigation system Pioneer rancher and developer of the southside area of . . . — Map (db m70990) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Chandler — Price Building80 South Marcos Place
Price Building, 1914 Chandler Historic Commercial District on the National Register of Historic Places Chandler's first elected Mayor, David Jacobson, built this structure. It is named for Arthur E. Price, Chandler's first attorney and . . . — Map (db m72051) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Fort McDowell — Grave of Dr. Carlos Montezuma(Wassaja) — 1855-1923 —
Greatest of the educated Apaches, this Mohave-Apache Indian was taken captive at the age of six by Pima Indians. He was sold to a white man who educated him as a physician. Dr. Montezuma had a splendid practice in Chicago and became a champion of . . . — Map (db m27680) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — The Original Site of the Desert MissionBeginnings of John C. Lincoln Hospital
Born of the selfless and compassionate services of those individuals who gave medical, spiritual and other assistance to the sick and needy in the Sunnyslope area. After the turn of the century, the Desert Mission grew to be the center of these . . . — Map (db m111478) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Scottsdale — Herbert "Herb" R. Drinkwater28 August 1936 28 December 1997
Scottsdale City Councilman 1970-1978 Mayor of Scottsdale 1980-1996 "Serving the citizens of Scottsdale is the greatest job in the world." Herb Drinkwater "Mr. Scottsdale," Mayor Herb Drinkwater, served the citizens of Scottsdale . . . — Map (db m141342) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Fredonia — Moamop'Datura wrightii
Paiute people used the dark green leaves of datura, crushed as a poultice, to treat sores and swelling. This traditional medicinal plant was chewed to reduce toothache pain, as well as induce visions. Datura is highly poisonous. Please do not touch. — Map (db m149368) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Shonto — Big SagebrushArtemisia tridentata
It is not known if the prehistoric Indians of the canyons used this plant, but both Navajos and Hopis make medicine from it, to cure stomach-ache. The Navajos use it to cure colds and headache. — Map (db m144404) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Shonto — CliffroseCowania mexicana, var. Stansburiana
Hopis made arrows from the wood of this plant and shredded the soft bark to make a padding for babies' cradleboards. Like many of these plants, it provided medicine, and was used as an emetic and as a wash for wounds. — Map (db m144393) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Shonto — Mormon TeaEphedra viridis
This plant, when made into a brew, was a multipurpose medicine, prescribed for stomach trouble, kidney afflictions, venereal disease, and coughs. — Map (db m144407) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Shonto — Rabbit BrushChrysothamnus nauseosus
Hopi Indians burn rabbit brush kindling with three other wood fuels in their ceremonial kivas. Slender, flexible stems are woven into basketry. Green dye comes from the inner bark, while early autumn flowers yield a yellow dye. The Hopis once . . . — Map (db m144448) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Shonto — ServiceberryAmelanchier utahensis
Serviceberry is one of the enduring "life medicines" of the Navajos, which insure their survival, health, and harmony. It is gathered to treat nausea, stomach problems, animal bites, and recovery from childbirth. It is also valued as a medicine in . . . — Map (db m144449) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Cannon-Douglass ResidenceHistoric Site
Dr. William Austin Cannon had this house built during 1904-1905. He was the first resident botanist with the Carnegie Desert Laboratory in 1902, and worked there until 1926. Dr. Cannon sold the house in 1913 to Dr. Andrew Ellicott Douglass, an . . . — Map (db m83014) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Kitt Peak National Observatory
Kitt Peak National Observatory Founded 1958 The observatory’s objectives are to strengthen basic research and education in astronomy throughout the United States, its territories and possessions. The observatory is available to . . . — Map (db m102813) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Steward Observatory
Steward Observatory 90 inch Reflector University of Arizona Erected 1967 Board of Regents Jack Williams   Governor · George W. Chambers   President · Elwood W. Bradford · Sarah Folsom · Wesley P. Gross · Leon Levy · Norma Barr Rockfellow · . . . — Map (db m102921) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — The McMath Solar Telescope
This drawing shows the interior of the McMath solar telescope. You are looking at only part of telescope which is above ground. The tunnel for the light beam and the observing rooms where the scientific work is done are buried under the mountain. . . . — Map (db m102919) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — The Stork's Nest
The Sanborn Fire Maps for the City of Tucson first recorded this building in 1883 as an adobe dwelling with an attached ramada. Between 1901 and 1930 additions were made to the main building and construction was completed on the outbuilding behind . . . — Map (db m83244) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — The Vacuum Telescope
The Vacuum Telescope The accompanying picture shows a cross section of the solar vacuum telescope. This facility, built in 1973, is used to study the evolution of sunspots and other solar magnetic fields. It is operated daily by the National Solar . . . — Map (db m102918) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — The WIYN Observatory
The octagon-shaped building that you see in the distance is the enclosure for the telescope of the WIYN Observatory. Completed in 1994, WIYN is owned and operated by the University of Wisconsin, Indiana University, Yale University, and the . . . — Map (db m102920) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — First Pinal County CourthouseHistoric Site
This adobe building, which was designed by Levi Ruggles and built in 1878, combines Sonoran and Anglo-American architectural features typical of Territorial Arizona. It was the courthouse until 1891 and then served as a hospital, health center, home . . . — Map (db m32956) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — George-Brockway HouseHistoric Site
This Colonial Revival adobe was the home of George Brockway and his wife Esther. Brockway was the town medical doctor, Pinal County Hospital Superintendent and Territorial Prison physician. He owned a drugstore, and in 1908 became the first mayor of . . . — Map (db m26712) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Huffman House1919 — Historic Site —
Dr. George Huffman built this large, two-story Bungalow-style adobe house to accommodate his family and his medical practice. Surgical rooms were located on the first floor with rooms for patients upstairs. Square pillars support full-width porches. . . . — Map (db m32439) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Superior — What is the Story Behind the Picketpost House?... a wealthy man built a house and planted a vision
Colonel William Boyce Thompson was a mining promoter, financial magnate, and Red Cross officer. He fell in love with the Picketpost Mountain area when he first visited his Magma Copper Mine near Superior and chose this spot for his winter home. . . . — Map (db m117109) HM
Arizona (Santa Cruz County), Nogales — Padre Eusebio Francisco Kino SJ
Founder of Missions Man of God Pioneer Explorer Astronomer Rancher Teacher Cartographer 1645-1711 — Map (db m27085) HM
Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Sweet Spring Hotel - Huntington Infirmary - Sweet Spring Home

Sweet Spring Hotel The Sweet Spring Hotel was established about 1887 at the corner of Pine Street and Spring, then known as Rice Street, with A.S. Capps as proprietor. The spacious three-story frame structure was painted white with dark . . . — Map (db m80112) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — The Springs
"It is sometimes called The Basin Springs, and is invariably the first resort for visitors. If there is any one in the city you desire to find, if no other way, go to the Basin Springs, seat yourself comfortable, and await his coming." Prof. . . . — Map (db m63300) HM
Arkansas (Chicot County), Lake Village — Saunders-Pettit-Chapman-Cook Plantation Home
This home was built about the year 1848 for John H. Saunders and his wife Martha A. Pettit Saunders. During the Civil War engagement at Ditch Bayou in 1864 the house was used as a hospital for soldiers of both armies. A number of military dead were . . . — Map (db m107737) HM
Arkansas (Crawford County), Van Buren — CSI: Van Buren
Using advanced technology to understand the past. Like the methods of Crime Scene Investigators, science provides a variety of ways to look beneath the surface of the Drennen House grounds for evidence of the past. Techniques like . . . — Map (db m120491) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Crittenden County Health DepartmentErected 1938 Annex 1943 — Courthouse Square Walking Trail —
The Health Department, dedicated May 4, 1938, was built with funds by the Federal Works Progress Administration (WPA). When additional space was needed, the Crittenden County Negro Business Men's League, led by George Walker, Jr. and John Gammon, . . . — Map (db m116780) HM
Arkansas (Faulkner County), Conway — Cherokee Memorial
Following is a partial list of persons who died and were buried at Cadron. They perished from cholera while being relocated by the Army in 1834. Graves were marked with native stones with no inscriptions. Some of the Indians had adopted . . . — Map (db m96643) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Al Simmons
When illness threatened to end his Hall of Fame career prematurely in 1928, Al Simmons came to Hot Springs to take the baths and hike in the mountain trails. The visit worked wonders, and, encouraged by legendary Athletics' manager Connie Mack, . . . — Map (db m116056) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Buck Ewing
Many baseball historians regard Ewing as the greatest all-around 19th century player. He came to the Army-Navy Hospital in Hot Springs in 1892, seeking medical advice for his sore throwing arm. On March 19th, after successful treatment, he hit a . . . — Map (db m102685) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Dead Chief Trail
After crossing the lower slopes of Hot Springs Mountain, this "red" trail connects with Gulpha Gorge Trail on a ridge above Gulpha Gorge Campground. The Short Cut Trail leads to the summit. Historic Exercise Trail For the next 0.2 mile . . . — Map (db m145671) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Ral Springs
This spring remained open long after others were enclosed and diverted to bathhouses. It was common for the water of each hot spring to have a reputation for curing particular ailments, and the shallow water in this pool led naturally to foot . . . — Map (db m145651) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Tufa Terrace Trail
The Tufa Terrace Trail passes historic Ral Spring and follows a fairly level path across the hillside before rejoining the Grand Promenade. From there you can stroll the Grand Promenade or descend past the Thermal Cascade to Arlington Lawn. . . . — Map (db m145670) HM
Arkansas (Grant County), Leola — 115 — Officers Killed / Union Wounded
Officers Killed Gen. J.G. Walker’s Texas Division made the final Confederate attack in the April 30, 1864, battle of Jenkins’ Ferry. Its three brigades, led by Gen. William Read Scurry, Gen. Thomas N. Waul and Col. Horace Randal, charged . . . — Map (db m121207) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — Answering a Call for Help
Disease, death, the practice of separating slave families—all left children with no one to care for them. Scores of orphaned black children in Civil War Helena suffered from neglect and exposure. General Napoleon Buford asked for help. In . . . — Map (db m107999) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — The Irish ImmigrantA Part of the Civil War Discovery Trail
Patrick Ronayne Cleburne, the son of Dr. Joseph and Mary Anne Ronayne Cleburne, was born March 17, 1828. At the age of twenty-one he immigrated to the United States. He settled in Helena in 1850. The Son of . . . — Map (db m109138) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Alexander George House
Near this spot stood the substantial brick home of Alexander George (1812-1877), a wealthy German immigrant active in Little Rock's business, civic, social and political circles. Built during the 1858 to 1859 period, the George House with its . . . — Map (db m121455) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — First Site: Arkansas College of Medicine
. . . — Map (db m102763) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — The First Human Dissection in Arkansas
Front The first human dissection in Arkansas was made on this spot in November 1874 by James H. Lenow M.D. Little Rock and Richard S. Vickery M.D. U.S. Army Rear Erected by the Arkansas Medical Society to perpetuate the . . . — Map (db m116362) HM
California (Alameda County), Albany — 6 — Site of Albany Hospital
Dedicated on March 25, 1928 as Humboldt Hospital, the Albany Hospital served countless patients until its closure in 1985. The hospital provided a surgical department, as well as emergency and obstetrical care and general medical services. . . . — Map (db m137078) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Edward A. Brakenridge HouseIra A. Boynton Designer & Builder (attributed), 1892
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1992 Arriving in Berkeley from Massachusetts, Edward Brakenridge bought property that extended to Rose Street for this large Queen Anne-style residence, a stable, and a carriage house. Ira Boynton, like . . . — Map (db m54512) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Gilman HallUniversity of California — Berkeley, California, 1916-1917 —
Gilman Hall was built in 1916-17 to accomodate an expanded College of Chemistry under the leadership of Gilbert Newton Lewis. This building provided research laboratories and teaching facilities for faculty and students specializing in physical, . . . — Map (db m15870) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Observatory Hill
Former site of the Students' Observatory, completed in 1886 and named in 1951 for Armin Otto Leuschner (1868-1953), Director of the Observatory (1898-1938) and Chair of the Astronomy Department (1900-1938). — Map (db m114355) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — The Lawrence 37-Inch Cyclotron
This is the electromagnet for the world's first major cyclotron. With it, professor Ernest O. Lawrence and others perfected the difficult cyclotron technology. Originally a 27-inch cyclotron, it was converted to a 37-inch instrument in 1937. . . . — Map (db m91800) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
The Laboratory opened September 2, 1952 at this site, initially as a branch of the University of California Radiation Laboratory. Prior to the Lab's opening, this 630-acre parcel was the site of Livermore Naval Air Station, a World War II pilot . . . — Map (db m25251) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Chabot ObservatoryFounded 1883
This marker, dedicated June 21, 2008, celebrates Chabot Space & Science Center's 125 years of inspiring Bay Area star gazers and curious minds of all ages. From 1883-1915, an observatory on this site housed Chabot's first telescope, "Leah," an . . . — Map (db m18875) HM
California (Alameda County), Piedmont — Sulphur Springs GrottoThe Healing Powers of Mineral Springs
The first recorded visitor to the sulphur springs grotto is Isaac Holmes, a retired U.S. Senator from South Carolina, who reportedly installed a bathtub in Bushy Dell canyon in the early 1860s in order to take alfresco baths for his rheumatism. . . . — Map (db m72378) HM
California (Alpine County), Markleeville — Grover Hot Springs
Telltale signs of geologic activity surround Grover Hot Springs State Park. Bold granite peaks to the northwest are the work of immense mountain building forces. Old lava flows cover hundreds of square miles to the east, giving the Markleeville area . . . — Map (db m13239) HM
California (Amador County), Fiddletown — Chew Kee Store
Rammed Earth "Adobe" Built 1850 Home-Office-Store of Dr. Yee, Chinese Herb Doctor — Map (db m42483) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — NR07000507 — William J. Paugh House
The William J. Paugh House, also known as Rosewall, is a very pure example of a Gothic Revival House. The style was most popular during the 1840's and 1850's. It was built in the late 1850's by Charles L. Parish, artist, architect and builder. . . . — Map (db m28067) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Sutter Creek Sanitarium1895 - 1927
Medical Offices, Surgery and Hospital of Dr. Philip Sheridan Goodman. (1867 – 1927). Office and surgery on ground floor, hospital upstairs. Miraculous and unconventional, a true Sutter Creek Character. — Map (db m29780) HM
California (Amador County), Volcano — 715 — Astronomical Observatory
Here in Volcano in 1860, miner and amateur astronomer George Madeira built California's first astronomical observatory of record and operated it for two years. Using a three inch refractory telescope he studied sun and moon, stars and planets, and . . . — Map (db m100583) HM
California (Amador County), Volcano — 715 — Astronomical Observatory
On the knoll behind this marker, George Madiera built the first amateur astronomical observatory of record in California and there discovered the great comet of 1861 with a three-inch refractor telescope. — Map (db m100584) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — First Pharmacy
Randall & McDermott 1855 B.S.A. Troop 29 (Seal of the American Revolution Bicentennial 1776-1976) — Map (db m65909) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — Camp 9 Powerhouse Pelton Wheel
The use of wheels to convert flowing or falling water into power began in ancient Greece around the third to the first century B.C. In 1878 Lester Allan Pelton, a carpenter and blacksmith from Nevada City, invented a new design for an impulse water . . . — Map (db m101590) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — Albert A. MichelsonDec. 19, 1852 – May 9, 1931
First American scientist awarded the Nobel Peace Prize (Physics – 1907); Dean of American Optics; Measured velocity of light, ether drift, standard meter, steller diameters. Lived here during childhood. — Map (db m32818) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — 608 TalbartOld Town Martinez — Home of Historic Interest —
Dr. John Tennant practiced from this Queen Anne home until his death in 1892. House was later sold to City Attorney James Rogers Sr

circa 1880's — Map (db m146392) HM

California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — Birthplace of The Martini
On this site in 1874, Julio Richelieu, bartender, served up the first martini when a miner came into his saloon with a fistful of nuggets and asked for something special. He was served a "Martinez Special." After three or four drinks, however, the . . . — Map (db m57975) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — 160 — Leech House & Medical Clinic1525 N. Main St. — Early 1870s —
1525 N. Main St. This wood-frame Italianate house was about 30 years old when it was purchased by Dr. Claud Leech, town physician, and his wife, Eva. The first floor served as the medial clinic, the upper floor as the family residence. The house . . . — Map (db m93822) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — What Are Those Towers For?
Mount Diablo has always been a guide and landmark to people far bellow, and so it became a natural location for many radio and transmission towers as well. As early as 1928, the Standard Oil Company and U.S. Dept. of Commerce jointly . . . — Map (db m103092) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — James G. EddyApril 7, 1881 - June 5, 1964
Whose deep concern for the conservation and improvement of our forests led him to establish the Eddy Tree Breeding Station on this site in 1925. His own effort and funds created this oldest forest genetics research institution in the Western . . . — Map (db m105854) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Snowshoe Thompson
A Viking Son of Norway who fulfilled California’s motto: “Bring Me Men To Match My Mountains” For twenty winters from 1858 to 1878 he was the lifeline between Utah Territory across the Sierras, and the new state of California. . . . — Map (db m12750) HM
California (Fresno County), Coalinga — “Dr. Bill”Born August 4, 1904 – Passed September 27, 1963
Dr William H. Gilliatt was born in Sommerville, Massachusetts He graduated from Aurora College, Illinois and Boston University Medical School. Dr. Gilliatt or “Dr. Bill” as he was generally called, came to Coalinga as a young doctor in . . . — Map (db m64060) HM
California (Inyo County), Independence — 223 — Putnam’s Stone Cabin
One hundred thirty feet west of this site, Charles Putnam built the first cabin of permanent habitation in what is now Inyo County in August 1861. The building served as a home, trading post, hospital, and “fort” for early settlers, as . . . — Map (db m2957) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Dentist's Office
Tooth decay was a common and greatly feared ailment in earlier days. People either had to make do with a painful tooth or find someone to pull it. If a trained dentist could not be found or afforded, a blacksmith or another person who . . . — Map (db m25929) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Doctor's Office
Until modern medicine, contagious diseases afflicted both young and old and many died at a young age. In 1875, there were fifteen physicians in Kern County, which had a widely scattered population of approximately 2,700 people. These . . . — Map (db m25921) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Hospital
Only the most impoverished people sought treatment at a hospital. The first county hospital in Bakersfield opened its doors to the public in January 1875. The hospital was constructed at 13th and G Streets for $1,400.00. It was a plain . . . — Map (db m27061) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Undertaker's Office
Life in the mid 1800s was difficult. The average age of death in the United States of America was around 40 years old. Disease, accidents and hard work took its toll on people lives. This exhibit displays artifacts, dating from the . . . — Map (db m26141) HM
California (Kern County), Ridgecrest — Naval Ordinance Test Station, China LakeAIAA Historic Aerospace Site
China Lake is one of the nation’s premier weapons laboratories. Established in 1943, China Lake supports Naval aviation and warfighter requirements, and will continue to arm the Fleet into the future. The Station conceived of and developed rockets . . . — Map (db m145623) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 9 — Tehachapi Hospital
Originally built by Jean Capdeville as a rooming house, it was later sold to Drs. Madge and Harold Schlotthauer in 1934. It was then used as a hospital until the 1952 earthquake. Although badly damaged, no lives were lost in the hospital. The large . . . — Map (db m52819) HM
California (Lake County), Upper Lake — Drug and Prescription Store
The building at 2424 Main Street was the home of R.G. Reynolds. The "Drug and Prescription Store" pictured here was approximately where the current post office is and belonged to the same Doc Reynolds and Godwin Scudamore. They might have had the . . . — Map (db m139841) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Canoga Park — F-1 Engine
Dedicated to the employees of Rocketdyne on the tenth anniversary of man’s first lunar landing

July 20, 1979

A cluster of five Rocketdyne-built F-1 engines lifted the 365-foot-tall Apollo vehicle from Earth, beginning man’s . . . — Map (db m113129) HM

California (Los Angeles County), Canoga Park — Rocketdyne Santa Susana Field LaboratoryAIAA Historic Aerospace Site
On 15 November 1950, the SSFL conducted its first official test with a Rocketdyne-designed XLR43-NA-1 large liquid propellant rocket engine, which later became the Redstone engine. Encompassing 2558 acres, 18 large static test stands, 5 component . . . — Map (db m145228) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Carson — Robert A. Cinader
Robert A. Cinader's involvement with the Los Angeles County Fire Department began in 1971 when he filmed a pilot television movie about the county's fledgling paramedic program. "Emergency" aired in 1972 and ran as a prime time show for five . . . — Map (db m50349) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — 5 — American Legion Building
A portion of the original Spanish landgrant Rancho La Ballona The American Legion Post #46 clubhouse was dedicated on August 9, 1930. Contractor Don S. Ely erected the building on this site over the first swimming pool in the area, on land . . . — Map (db m49954) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — 2 — The Hull Building
The Hull Building was built on this site in 1925. Dr. Foster Hull, having the interest of his profession at heart, built the most modern medical offices and hospital possible for that time. Early in the 1930's, Louis Freeman acquired the building . . . — Map (db m49950) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Chester Stock, Ph.D. - Observation PitHancock Park — Rancho La Brea —
Panel 1: Chester Stock, Ph.D. January 28, 1892 - December 7, 1950 Paleontalogist Chief curator of science - Los Angeles County Museum Chairman of the Division of Geological Sciences California Institute of Technology who, encouraged . . . — Map (db m51436) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — General HospitalEntrance Facade — 1933 —
Placed high above the towering main entrance, nine enrobed figures stand vigil and greet visitors to LAC+USC General Hospital and half-way up the building, three classically robed figures stand atop columns in window niches. Completed . . . — Map (db m145460) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Palmdale — The San Andreas Fault
One of the most outstanding geological features in California, extending for over 650 miles from Point Arena, north of San Francisco, to south of San Gorgonio Pass, between twenty and thirty miles deep and more than a mile wide in some locations. . . . — Map (db m149749) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Beckman pH MeterNational Historic Chemical Landmark - 1934
Arnold O. Beckman developed the first commercially successful electronic pH meter while a member of the faculty of the California Institute of Technology. This rugged and portable “acidimeter,” which had all necessary components . . . — Map (db m124162) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Benjamin Davis WilsonDon Benito
To the memory of Benjamin Davis Wilson, Don Benito, 1811 – 1878, pioneer trapper and settler who came to California in 1841, and in 1864 blazed the trail up this mountain which bears his name. — Map (db m123037) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Harvard’s Mount Wilson Station
Station of Harvard College Observatory 1889–1890 — Map (db m119706) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Iris GardenAlfred Henry Sturtevant
In memory of Alfred Henry Sturtevant, Geneticist and Naturalist, Professor of Biology at the California Institute of Technology from 1928 to 1970. These iris resulted from genetic studies he made between 1952 and 1969. — Map (db m124155) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Jet Propulsion Laboratory
On October 31, 1936 at a site approximately 400 yards to the southeast, in the Arroyo Seco River Bed, a group of students and co-workers from the Guggenheim Aeronautical Laboratory, California Institute of Technology (GALCIT), with the encouragement . . . — Map (db m118834) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Michelson Pier on Mount Wilson
On this pier in 1926 Albert Abraham Michelson measured the velocity of light by means of a beam of light transmitted to Mount San Antonio and reflected back to this station — Map (db m57274) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — The 100-Inch Hooker TelescopeMount Wilson Observatory
In 1904, astronomer George Ellery Hale obtained support from the Carnegie Institution of Washington to found the Mount Wilson Solar Observatory. Stellar telescopes were soon added: first the 60-inch, then the 100-inch, when "Solar" was removed . . . — Map (db m143305) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — The First Known AntiparticleHistoric Physics Site
Near this site, in August 1932, Carl David Anderson photographed the track of a cosmic ray particle in his cloud chamber. He identified this particle as the positron — the first known antiparticle. Historic Physics Site, Register of . . . — Map (db m124150) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Throop Memorial Garden
Left Panel: This was once the site of Throop Hall, named after the founder of Throop University, Amos G. Throop. Throop University was founded in 1891 and became the California Institute of Technology in 1920. Built in 1910, Throop Hall was . . . — Map (db m124169) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pearblossom — The Devil's PunchbowlDepartment of Parks & Recreation, County of Los Angeles
The hills where you stand are a part of one of the world's geological wonders, The San Andreas Rift -- A great fault and earthquake zone. __________ Because of the movements along this fault zone, the pink and tan colored Punchbowl rocks seen . . . — Map (db m115197)

3108 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 2908
Paid Advertisement
May. 31, 2020