Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Forts or Castles Historical Markers

4477 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 151 through 351 are listed. Previous 200 Next 4127
 
Officers' Quarters Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, December 27, 2016
Officers' Quarters Marker
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Officers' Quarters
On North Craycroft Road, on the right when traveling north.
The officers of Fort Lowell and their families lived in 7 adobe homes-officers' row. During peak periods of military activity, up to three families lived in each building. After 1889, two smaller houses for married non-commissioned officers were . . . — Map (db m100712) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Post Hospital
Near North Craycroft Road.
The post surgeon was the cornerstone of army medical care. He was either a medical officer or a local civilian. At Fort Lowell, 21 men served in this capacity, assisted by enlisted hospital stewards. The surgeon maintained the health of all military . . . — Map (db m100688) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Presidio San Agustín del Tucson
On North Main Avenue at West Paseo Redondo, on the right when traveling south on North Main Avenue.
For about 80 years, the adobe walls of the Tucson Presidio protected the residents of the area from attacks by Apache groups, who opposed Spanish and Mexican peoples and their native allies beginning in the 1600s. The Spanish military designated the . . . — Map (db m83211) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Presidio Wall
On North Main Avenue at West Washington Street, on the right when traveling north on North Main Avenue.
This marker locates the northwest corner of the adobe wall which surrounded the Royal Spanish Presidio San Agustín del Tucson. In 1776 the new outpost was garrisoned by seventy Spanish cavalry troopers and Indian scouts, transferred from Tubac under . . . — Map (db m83212) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Quartermaster Depot and Post Trader
On North Craycroft Road, on the right when traveling north.
Fort Lowell was a major supply depot for forts around southern Arizona Territory. The Quartermaster and Commissary Depot in on private property directly west, across Craycroft Road and north of Fort Lowell Rd. The Quartermaster Department supplied . . . — Map (db m100692) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Southwest Corner of the Presidio
Near West Pennington Street.
Excavations beneath this lawn in 1998 located the west adobe wall of the Tucson Presidio and a portion of the presidio blacksmith shop. The tower at the southwest corner remains buried beneath the nearby city hall parking lot. Soldiers stood guard . . . — Map (db m83230) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — The Chief TrumpeterSculptor/Artist: Dan Bates
On North Craycroft Road, on the right when traveling north.
This statue was erected in February 1991 to honor the enlisted men who served in the Southwest during the Apache Wars in the 1870s and 1880s. It was cast in bronze by Desert Crucible, Inc., of Tucson. One and one-half times life-size, it stands . . . — Map (db m100695) HM WM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — The Fort Lowell Flagstaff
Near North Craycroft Road.
The flagstaff has been the one constant feature of all military establishments since the creation of the U.S. Army in 1784.No matter what era or architectural style, the flagstaff has remained at the center of the parade ground and at the center of . . . — Map (db m100713) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Tucson Old Walled City
On West Alameda Street near North Main Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
Founded 1776 by the Spanish Government as a Presidio. Became part of U.S. after Gadsden Purchase 1853 — Map (db m26399) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Veterans MemorialFort Lowell Park
Near North Craycroft Road.
Dedicated to the enduring memory of the men and women who faithfully served in the military forces of the United States of America and in grateful acknowledgment of their contribution to this nation, which in time of peril, found in them its . . . — Map (db m28932) HM
Arizona (Santa Cruz County), Nogales — Camp Stephen D. Little
On North Grand Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
A military camp established in Nogales, Arizona, in November of 1910, was for a generation an integral part of the economic and social life of the community. The post was renamed on December 14, 1915, for Private Little killed in action during the . . . — Map (db m81716) HM
Arizona (Santa Cruz County), Tubac — Presidio of Tubac
Near Tubac Road near Cll Iglesia Road.
Garrisoned by Spanish in 1752 First Town established in Arizona by Europeans Here on March 3, 1859 the Weekly Arizonian was published -- Arizona's first newspaper. — Map (db m68027) HM
Arizona (Santa Cruz County), Tubac — Tubac
Originally an Indian village, Tubac is the oldest European settlement in Arizona. It was established as the Royal Spanish Presidio San Ignacio de Tubac in 1752, after an uprising of Pima Indians. In 1775 Captain Juan Bautista de Anza led an . . . — Map (db m27119) HM
Arizona (Santa Cruz County), Tubac — Tubac Presidio
Here stood the original Spanish presidio or fort established as San Ignacio de Tubac after the Pima uprising of 1751. Captain Juan Bautista de Anza was in command in 1775, when he led his famous expedition to California to found San Francisco. The . . . — Map (db m68026) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Camp Verde — Camp Verde
On General Crook Trail (South Access Road) 0.2 miles east of Interstate 17 Exit 285, on the right when traveling east.
The oldest settlement in the Verde Valley. Site of historic Fort Verde. The first settlers came into the valley in February, 1865, followed by the military in August, 1865. Original military and historic buildings still stand. — Map (db m40814) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Camp Verde — Fort Verde State Historic ParkThe West As It Really Was!
On Hollamon Street, on the right when traveling east.
The Mythology of a Western Fort Fort Verde is typical of western forts built in the 1870's and 1880's but our vision of forts comes from movies. Log stockades with towers and John Wayne fearlessly firing his rifle at attacking Indians. The . . . — Map (db m40815) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Montezuma Castle National Monument — The Community
A farming community of perhaps 200 people prospered here for more than three centuries. The Castle was home to 35 or so of these people. Archeologists suggest they may have fled what is today the Flagstaff area due to overpopulation around A.D. . . . — Map (db m40840) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Montezuma Castle National Monument — The People Next Door
Here’s another “castle” – this one called “A” by the archeologists who excavated it in the 1930s. Like neighboring Montezuma Castle, Castle A was occupied by Sinagua farmers between A.D. 1200 and 1450. However, with . . . — Map (db m40863) HM
Arizona (Yuma County), Yuma — Commanding Officer's Quarters & Kitchen
Near North 4th Avenue.
In 1859, steamboat entrepreneur George Alonzo Johnson built a riverside home for his bride, Estefana Alvarado. Now known as the Commanding Officer's Quarters, the home is believed to be Arizona's oldest Anglo-built adobe building. In the devastating . . . — Map (db m28999) HM
Arizona (Yuma County), Yuma — Office of the U. S. Army Depot Quartermaster
Near North 4th Avenue north of West 1st Street.
This adobe building was constructed in 1872 as an office for the Fort Yuma Quartermaster Depot. It replaced a room in a corner of the depot storehouses where, according to Captain J. G. C. Lee, Quartermaster, ". . .the noise of the arrivals and . . . — Map (db m29000) HM
Arizona (Yuma County), Yuma — Quartermaster Depot Water Reservoir
Near North 4th Avenue north of West 1st Street.
A steam pump located at the edge of the river propelled muddy Colorado River water through pipes to an elevated holding tank constructed of local rock and mortar with a wood shingle roof to decrease evaporation. Sediment fell to the bottom of the . . . — Map (db m29001) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Arkansas Post National Memorial — On they come like an irresistible thunder bolt William Heartsill, sergeant, 2nd Texas Cavalry
Near Old Post Road 0.5 miles south of State Route 169.
The Confederate scouts were alarmed. Looking down river to your right, one exclaimed, "One could hardly see anything in the background but smokestacks." Union soldiers disembarked from their transports. All night, knee deep in mud, they . . . — Map (db m108509) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Arkansas Post National Memorial — Our ironclads and gunboats knocked the fort to piecesDavid D. Porter, rear admiral
On Old Post Road 0.5 miles south of State Route 169, on the left when traveling south.
You wouldn't have got us had it not been for your damned gunboats. John Dunnington, colonel, chief of ordnance Fort Hindman's cannon fired at the nine gunboats bearing down on them. Confederate gunners had . . . — Map (db m108072) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Arkansas Post National Memorial — Edge of Empires
Near Old Post Road 0.8 miles south of State Route 169.
The succession of outposts here, remote from centers of New World empire, symbolized a dream of the imperial age: to connect the Gulf of Mexico to North America's vast interior by the great rivers that drained it. Following British . . . — Map (db m108485) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Arkansas Post National Memorial — The Arkansas Posts1686 — 1863Two Centuries of Settlement on the Arkansas River
Near Old Post Road 0.8 miles south of State Route 169.
Arkansas Post was not a single fort and trading center. From 1686 until 1863 there were no fewer than seven posts on the Arkansas River between here and the Missişsippi. The flags of five nations flew over them. The 1686 post . . . — Map (db m108464) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Arkansas Post National Memorial — The Colbert RaidApril 17, 1783Arkansas Post in the American Revolution
Near Old Post Road 0.8 miles south of State Route 169.
During the American Revolution, Arkansas Post belonged to the Spanish, allies of the American patriots. In 1783, British partisans led by James Colbert raided the Spanish village and fort here. It was one of the last engagements of the . . . — Map (db m108483) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Arkansas Post National Memorial — Where is Fort Hindman?
Near Old Post Road 0.5 miles south of State Route 169.
Standing here in January 1863, you would have seen Confederate Fort Hindman. In what is now the water, the fort stood atop a 25-foot high bluff The fort's cannon could fire a mile up or down the river to protect the breadbasket of Arkansas. The . . . — Map (db m108511) HM
Arkansas (Columbia County), Lamartine — C-27 — Columbia County Lamartine Pioneer Settlement
On U.S. 371 at East Columbia Road (County Road 60), on the right when traveling north on U.S. 371.
One of the oldest settlements in Columbia County. Here Colonel John Dockery had his plantation and home. Here T.P. Dockery, who became a general in the War Between the States, was born and reared. The Caddo Indian Trail from Camden on the Ouachita . . . — Map (db m121136) HM
Arkansas (Cross County), Wittsburg — 28 — Wittsburg in the Civil War
On State Highway 163 2.2 miles south of Highway 64, on the left when traveling south.
After Arkansas seceded from the Union in May 1861, Confederate officers began to recruit in the Wittsburg area. Companies B, D, F and K of the 5th Arkansas Infantry Regiment were organized at Wittsburg June 12-14, 1861. David Cross, for whom Cross . . . — Map (db m116179) HM
Arkansas (Faulkner County), Conway — Cadron Blockhouse
Near State Highway 319 1.7 miles west of 6200 Highway 319 West (U.S. 64).
The blockhouse is a replica of a structure that was built on this site in the late 18th century. The building was a multiple use structure, but constructed originally for defense purposes. It was used as a trading post, as a residence, and as a . . . — Map (db m96645) HM
Arkansas (Lonoke County), Carlisle — 90 — Action at Ashley's Station
On South Court Street at West Durkee Street, on the right when traveling south on South Court Street.
On Aug. 24, 1864, Confederate Gen. J.O. Shelby and his men, wearing captured Union uniforms, attacked a series of forts protecting hay-cutting operations between modern-day Carlisle and Hazen. Confederate artillery blasted the forts held by the 54th . . . — Map (db m96453) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — A Great Upheaval
On Missouri Street east of Natchez Street, on the left when traveling east.
Thousands of refugee slaves came with the Union army into Helena and they continued to come. Helena became an island of freedom in a slave state. The Union Army Recruits Freedmen In the . . . — Map (db m107912) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — A Short Lived Confederate Victory
Near Yorkshire Drive 0.1 miles east of Audubon Drive when traveling east.
The Confederates Take Battery C "Both brigades moved forward on the instant, rapidly, steadily unflinchingly, and in perfect order under a storm of Minie balls, grape, and canister, which poured upon them not only . . . — Map (db m107958) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — A Terrific Fire From Graveyard Hill
Near Yorkshire Drive 0.1 miles east of Audubon Drive when traveling east.
You are facing Battery D. One half-mile southeast of here, it was the closest of the fortifications on Crowley's Ridge to Battery C. During the Battle of Helena, Union troops at these batteries aided each other with artillery fire. Map (db m107950) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — A Union Stronghold in Confederate Arkansas
On Missouri Street east of Natchez Street, on the left when traveling east.
The Union Army Takes Helena, July 1862 When General Samuel Curtis marched into Helena he was not sure if he would remain. But the city's location on the Mississippi River made it a valuable strategic resource . . . — Map (db m107916) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — Battle of HelenaJuly 4, 1863
Near Yorkshire Drive 0.1 miles east of Audubon Drive (Business U.S. 49) when traveling east.
Confederate General Theophilus Holmes wanted to regain control of Helena, an island of Union control in Confederate Arkansas. His attack failed. Miscommunication, lack of information, and the determined resistance of the Union troops, who vowed not . . . — Map (db m107941) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — Coming to the Aid of Fort Curtis
Near Yorkshire Drive 0.1 miles east of Audubon Drive when traveling east.
You are facing Battery A, which stood on Rightor Hill, a high spot on Crowley's Ridge. Defended by the 29th and 36th Iowa and the 33rd Missouri, it anchored the north end of the Union line, approximately one and one-quarter mile northeast of here. . . . — Map (db m107973) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — Defending Helena
On York Street east of Beech Street, on the right when traveling east.
Shortly after the capture of Helena in July 1862, the Union army took measures to protect the city. Engineers designed a large earthen fort, which African American laborers completed in October 1862. General Benjamin Prentiss named the heavily . . . — Map (db m108033) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — Flags over Fort Curtis
Near York Street west of Columbia Street.
When the Union army built Fort Curtis in 1862, the 34-star flag flew over the fort. The day the Battle of Helena was fought, July 4, 1863, the 35-star flag became the official U.S. flag. The new star represented West Virginia, admitted to the . . . — Map (db m109134) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — Fort Curtis, 1862-1867
On York Street east of Beech Street, on the right when traveling east.
The Confederates tested Fort Curtis once, during the Battle of Helena on July 4, 1863.The battle ended in a decided Union victory. For the rest of the war, Fort Curtis stood over Helena, a symbol of the power of the Union army. Map (db m108036) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — The Avenging Fire of the Gunboat
Near Yorkshire Drive 0.1 miles east of Audubon Drive when traveling east.
The gunboat U.S.S. Tyler gave the Union defenders a decided advantage in the Battle of Helena. Her captain could move the gunboat and its heavy artillery where it was needed most, and that is exactly what he did. Map (db m107975) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — The Battle of HelenaJuly 4, 1863
On Columbia Street south of Perry Street (Business U.S. 49), on the right when traveling south.
Confederate General Theophilus Holmes wanted to regain control of Helena, an island of Union control in Confederate Arkansas. His attack failed. Miscommunication, lack of information, and the determined resistance of the Union troops, who vowed not . . . — Map (db m107937) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — The Confederates Attack Fort Curtis
On Columbia Street south of Perry Street (Business U.S. 49), on the right when traveling south.
"such a slaughter was never greater on any battlefield west of the Mississippi" Sgt. Henry S. Carroll, 33rd Missouri A Strong Position Fort Curtis sat on the brow of a low ridge above Helena, . . . — Map (db m107938) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — The GunsSeven large guns, or cannons, protected Fort Curtis
Near York Street west of Columbia Street.
The muzzles of six 24-pounders and one 32-pounder extended over the fort walls. The "pounder" designation meant that the cannon fired 24 or 32-pound balls respectively. These large guns were usually found at coastal forts, where they provided . . . — Map (db m109133) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — The New Fort Curtis
On York Street east of Beech Street, on the right when traveling east.
Mr. Ronnie Nichols, then-director of the Delta Cultural Center, first proposed building a reconstruction of Civil War Fort Curtis in 1992. Twenty years later, his vision was realized. New Fort Curtis was dedicated on May 11, . . . — Map (db m108040) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — Who Built Fort Curtis
On York Street east of Beech Street, on the right when traveling east.
Thousands of escaped slaves, known as Contraband, followed the Union army to Helena in July 1862. Within weeks, the army put hundreds of Contraband to work building Fort Curtis. Hard Labor in Hot . . . — Map (db m108032) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — 67 — Fort Steele
On West 16th Street at South Gaines Street, on the right when traveling west on West 16th Street.
After occupying Little Rock Sept. 10, 1863, Union officials made plans to fortify the capital city. Construction began Nov. 9 on "a square redoubt which will command the city and all principal approaches". The resulting earthwork was named Fort . . . — Map (db m116240) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Belle Point
In 1817, the first Fort Smith was built at Belle Point at the junction of the Poteau and Arkansas Rivers by Major William Bradford, for the mutual protection of the pioneers and Indians. He was in command until 1822. It was named in honor of . . . — Map (db m77874) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Clues from the PastFort Smith National Historic Site
The building in front of you is very much as it appeared in the 1890s. First used as a military barracks, it was later converted for use as a courthouse and jail. Over time its appearance changed to accommodate the different needs of the people . . . — Map (db m82354) HM WM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Old Federal Building
On Parker Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
The old part of this building was the Barracks of the Fort, 1840-1871; Federal Court and Jail, 1872-1887; presided over by Judge I.C. Parker, 1875-1887. — Map (db m57922) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — The Bastion That Never Was
On Parker Avenue, on the left when traveling north.
When army engineers originally designed the second Fort Smith in 1838, they planned for it to withstand attack. A key feature in achieving this goal was a stone wall about twelve feet high and from two to three feet thick. This wall surrounded the . . . — Map (db m58434) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — 867 — Preston Castle
On Highway 104, on the right when traveling east.
The “castle,” built in 1890–1894, is the most significant example of Romanesque Revival architecture in the Mother Lode. It was built to house the Preston School of Industry, established by the State Legislature as a progressive . . . — Map (db m100594) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — 3 — Fort Washington
Near North Millbrook Avenue/Fort Washington Road.
Approximately 2 miles north of this point, Fort Washintgon was built in the spring of 1850 by Wiley B Cassity (Cassady or Cassidy), Charls D. Gibbes, Major Lane and others. This fort, probably the first building erected in Fresno County, served as . . . — Map (db m28013) HM
California (Fresno County), Friant — Erected to the Memory of the Pioneers of the Millerton Area Whose Remains Rest HereWinchell Cove Cemetery
Near Winchell Cove Road.
The site of Fort Miller (1851-1866) lies about one mile north and that of the pioneer town of Millerton (1851-1874) about one and one-half miles northwest on the then Visalia - Stockton Road. Both sites are now covered by the waters of Millerton . . . — Map (db m47248) HM
California (Imperial County), Calexico — 808 — Camp Salvation
On East 5th Street at Heber Avenue, on the right when traveling west on East 5th Street.
Here on September 23, 1849, Liet. Cave J. Couts, Escourt Commander, International Boundary Commission, established Camp Salvation. From September till the first of December 1849, it served as a refugee center for distressed emigrants attempting to . . . — Map (db m50586) HM
California (Imperial County), Imperial — 944 — Site of Fort Romualdo Pacheco(1825 - 1826)
On West Worthington Road (County Highway S28), on the right when traveling east. Reported missing.
In 1774, Spain opened an overland route from Sonora to California but it was closed by Yuma Indians in 1781. In 1822, Mexico attempted to reopen this route. Lt. Romualdo Pacheco and soldiers built an adobe fort at this site in 1825-26, the only . . . — Map (db m50589) HM
California (Imperial County), Palo Verde — Camp GastonEst. 1859
On Ben Hulse Highway (California Route 78) at 1st Street, on the right when traveling south on Ben Hulse Highway.
Near this spot, situated on the west bank of the Colorado River, about 45 miles north of Fort Yuma, Camp Gaston was established in 1859 by Captain Henry S. Burton, Company F 3rd Artillery. The camp served as a supply post for the Hoffman Expedition . . . — Map (db m138177) HM
California (Imperial County), Winterhaven — 806 — Fort Yuma
On Quechan Drive, on the right when traveling south.
Originally called Camp Calhoun, the site was first used as a U.S. Military Post in 1849. A fire destroyed the original buildings. By 1855 the barracks had been rebuilt. Called Camp Yuma in 1852 it became Fort Yuma after reconstruction. Transferred . . . — Map (db m50585) HM
California (Inyo County), Independence — 223 — Putnam’s Stone Cabin
On Highway 395 at West Center Street, on the right when traveling south on Highway 395.
One hundred thirty feet west of this site, Charles Putnam built the first cabin of permanent habitation in what is now Inyo County in August 1861. The building served as a home, trading post, hospital, and “fort” for early settlers, as . . . — Map (db m2957) HM
California (Kern County), Lake Isabella — 98 — KeyesvilleCalifornia Historical Landmark
On Keyesville Road 2 miles west of Highway 155, on the right when traveling west.
From 1853 until 1870 Keyesville was a center of both placer and quartz gold mining. On the knoll just below the townsite may still be seen the outlines of an earth-work fort, built to meet a possible Indian attack in 1863. The original Keys Mine is . . . — Map (db m143331) HM
California (Kern County), Lebec — Camel Trail TerminusFort Tejon
On Fort Tejon Road west of Interstate 5.
Jefferson Davis, “Father of National Highways,” as Secretary of War 1853-57 sponsored the importation of 33 camels for transporting military supplies to the west coast. The camel trail survey ran from San Antonio, Texas to Fort Tejon . . . — Map (db m32823) HM
California (Kern County), Lebec — 129 — Fort Tejon
On Fort Tejon Road west of Interstate 5.
This military post was established by the United States Army on June 24, 1854, to suppress stock rustling and for the protection of Indians in the San Joaquin Valley. As regimental headquarters of the First Dragoons, Fort Tejón was an important . . . — Map (db m117523) HM
California (Kern County), Lebec — Lieutenant Edward Fitzgerald Beale
On Fort Tejon Road west of Interstate 5.
This memorial plaque placed in memory of Lieutenant Edward Fitzgerald Beale First Superintendent of Indian Affairs in California appointed by President Millard Fillmore Sanctioned by the United States government the Tejon Indian . . . — Map (db m32213) HM
California (Kern County), Lebec — Peter Lebec
Near Lebec Road near Interstate 5.
Although little is known about Peter Lebec, it is believed that he was killed by a grizzly bear, and buried under this tree. His epitaph was originally carved into the tree. — Map (db m11092) HM
California (Lassen County), Janesville — Fort Janesville
On Main Street near South Church Street, on the right when traveling south.
Built in 1859 during the Piute War — Map (db m87774) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — 76 — Roop's Fort
Near North Weatherlow Street, on the right when traveling north.
Built in July 1854 by Isaac N. Roop. First called Roop's House, and used as stopping place by emigrant trains. It was the locale of the "sagebrush war" fought in 1863 between Plumas County and Lassen County citizens. — Map (db m10266) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Glendora — Rubel CastleHistoric District
On North Live Oak Avenue at East Palm Drive, on the right when traveling north on North Live Oak Avenue.
Built by Michael Clarke Rubel and hundreds of volunteers, 1968 to 1986, from local river rock and salvaged materials. This property has been listed in The National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior in . . . — Map (db m123040) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Fort MoorePioneer Memorial and Park
On North Hill Street, on the right when traveling north.
On this site stood Fort Moore built by the Mormon Battalion during the War with Mexico This memorial honors the troops who helped to win the South West. The Flag of the United States was raised here on July 4th 1847 by United . . . — Map (db m128896) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Wilmington — 21 — Officers' Quarters, Drum Barracks, 1862-1868"Drum Barracks, Civil War Period"
On Cary Avenue north of East Opp Street.
Panel 1: Officers’ Quarters 1862 * Drum Barracks * 1868 Supply Depot, Department of the Southwest, U.S. Army. In memory of the historic past of this building and the importance of its association with early American history . . . — Map (db m52631) HM
California (Marin County), Sausalito — Battery AlexanderRaining fire from the sky
On Field Road near Conzelman Road, on the right when traveling west.
Battery Alexander, fully armed by 1906, mounted eight 12-inch mortars designed to fire shells in a high arc - up and then down onto the decks of enemy battleships. Low-trajectory gunfire from nearby batteries, aimed close to the enemy's waterline, . . . — Map (db m102819) HM
California (Marin County), Sausalito — Battery Construction No. 129Last of the big gun emplacements
On Conzelman Road near McCullough Road, on the left when traveling west.
Never named because it was never finished, this battery was designed for the biggest, most powerful guns ever used by the United States military - 16-inch caliber weapons that fired 2,100-pound shells and could hit ships 26 miles out to sea. . . . — Map (db m102778) HM
California (Marin County), Sausalito — Battery Mendell
On Mendell Road near Field Road, on the left when traveling west.
Battery Mendell's mission was to keep enemy warships farther from San Francisco's harbor than any of the earlier coastal defences were equipped to do. Built in 1905, the battery was positioned as far west on the headlands as possible and armed with . . . — Map (db m102829) HM
California (Marin County), Sausalito — Cold War Legacy: Missiles to Marine MammalsMarin Headlands Golden Gate National Park
Near Bunker Road near Kirkpatrick Streetthus.
The Marine Mammal Center is built on the site of the former Nike Missile Launch Area, SF 87L. In the 1950s, the army constructed two batteries in the Marin Headlands equipped with surface-to-are missiles, one near Fort Cronkhite and a second across . . . — Map (db m102832) HM
California (Marin County), Sausalito — Construction 129
On Conzelman Road near McCullough Road, on the right when traveling west.
Despite its imposing appearance, Construction 129 was never used - or even completed. It was to have been armed with 2 guns having massive, 16" diameter barrels. Each weapon weighed almost 1,000,000 pounds and could accurately fire a 2,100 pound . . . — Map (db m102784) HM
California (Marin County), Sausalito — Mortars to MissilesMilitary power at the Golden Gate
On Conzelman Road at Field Road, on the left on Conzelman Road.
For the first three-quarters of the 20th century, the Marin Headlands were fortified with weapons that evolved from cannon to nuclear warheads. The guns became more and more powerful, able to hit warships miles out to sea. Antiaircraft guns appeared . . . — Map (db m102828) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — 600 Bunkmates
Built in 1911, this concrete barracks building could house 686 men. By WW II, Fort McDowell has quarters for about 4,500 soldiers, including fourteen additional wooden barracks that once stood between the baseball field and this 600-man barracks. . . . — Map (db m69276) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — Bowling and Dollars
On Perimeter Road, on the right.
A great morale builder, Fort McDowell’s bowling alley opened in 1944, sporting six lanes. Fort McDowell’s bowling teams – the “Jail Birds,” “Brass Hats,” and the "McDowell Mermaids” competed against teams from . . . — Map (db m69299) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — Defending the Bay
On Perimeter Road.
Battery Ledyard, built in 1899, was one of three Angel Island batteries installed to defend San Francisco Bay. Located at Point Knox, it was armed with two five-inch wire wound guns. Battery Ledyard was named for Lt. August C. Ledyard, 6th Infantry, . . . — Map (db m69251) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — Fort McDowell’s General Store
Near Perimeter Road.
The Post Exchange, or PX, was built in 1910 to be a “one stop shopping place” for soldiers at Fort McDowell. Soldiers purchased clothing toiletries, and other supplies here. The PX also offered a restaurant, soda fountain, barbershop, . . . — Map (db m69279) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — Guarding the Post
Near Perimeter Road.
The Guard House served as headquarters for the Officers of the Guard and the Sergeant of the Guard, and as quarters for soldiers assigned to guard detail. Guard duty could last a day, a week, or longer. Guards patrolled their post for 24-hour . . . — Map (db m69278) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — Play Games
On Perimeter Road, on the right when traveling north.
If you listen carefully, you can hear the crack of a bat and soldiers cheering as a Fort McDowell “Indian” rounds third base and heads for home – Cole Field. The ball park was home to the men’s baseball team, the . . . — Map (db m69275) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — Shipping Out and Coming HomeFort McDowell
Near Perimeter Road.
During WW I and WW II, Fort McDowell served as a Recruit Depot and later as an overseas Discharge and Replacement Depot. While some soldiers were stationed at Fort McDowell, others were here for only a week before being shipped overseas. During . . . — Map (db m69280) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — The Army Moves InCamp Reynolds
On Perimeter Road, on the right when traveling south.
In 1863, Civil War was raging in the East and the threat of Confederate ships sailing into San Francisco Bay was real. The United States Army responded by sending Company B of the 3rd Artillery to establish Camp Reynolds as an artillery post on . . . — Map (db m69250) HM
California (Mariposa County), Bear Valley — 5999 — Fremont’s Fort
On State Highway 49, on the right when traveling south.
General John C. Fremont, 1813-1890. A noted military man, explorer, topographer, senator & businessman, Fremont was also a miner. He settled in Mariposa County living just outside Bear Valley. He operated the Josephine, Pine Tree & Princeton mines . . . — Map (db m5783) HM
California (Mendocino County), Fort Bragg — 615 — Fort Bragg
On Main Street (State Highway 1), on the right when traveling south.
Established in this vicinity June 11, 1857 by 1st Lieutenant Horatio Gate Gibson, 3rd Artillery, later Brigadier General, US Army. Named by Gibson in honor of his former company commander, Braxton Bragg, later General, C.S.A. Abandoned in October . . . — Map (db m10585) HM
California (Mendocino County), Fort Bragg — Fort Building
On North Franklin Street, on the right when traveling north.
The last remaining structure and once the original quartermaster’s storehouse and commissary of Fort Bragg Military Post 1857-1864, then located near Laurel and Redwood Avenues. — Map (db m10586) HM
California (Monterey County), Marina — Stilwell Hall: A Fond MemoryFort Ord Dunes State Park
Near 8th Street.
For the two million servicemen and women who passed through Fort Ord, the entertainment center that once occupied this site provided welcome relief from rigorous military training. The Soldier’s Club, later renamed Stilwell Hall, featured a huge . . . — Map (db m68882) HM
California (Monterey County), Marina — Training to Defend AmericaFort Ord Dunes State Park
Near 8th Street.
From World War II until Fort Ord’s closure in 1994, there dunes echoed with the sound of small arms fire. Rifle and machine gun ranges here gave thousands of U.S. Army Infantrymen the marksmanship skills needed to serve their nation in times of both . . . — Map (db m68885) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — El Castillo de Monterey
Near Corporal Ewing Road.
Site of a Spanish fort constructed in 1792 to protect the port and presidio of Monterey from invaders. This is one of only three such forts constructed by the Spanish in California. — Map (db m63108) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — 7 — El Castillo Site
Near Corporal Ewing Road.
This old Spanish fort began as eleven guns behind a crude parapet of logs overlooking the anchorage of Monterey Bay in 1972. The battery was strengthen and enlarged over the years and served as the principal fort in Monterey for both the Spanish and . . . — Map (db m63107) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — Fort Mervine
Near Corporal Ewing Road.
First American fort in California. Built in 1846-47. Named in honor of Navy Captain William Mervine who directed the raising of the American flag over the Custom House in 1846. — Map (db m63123) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — 6 — Hippolyte Bouchard MonumentWhen the Argentine Flag Flew Over Monterey — Cuando la bandera argentina voló sobre Monterey —
Near Corporal Ewing Road. Reported missing.
(Editor's note: The original marker has been replaced.) New Marker: (English Text:) Hippolyte Bouchard is celebrated in Argentina as a hero and patriot and founder of the Argentine Navy--the equivalent of John Paul . . . — Map (db m66555) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — 5 — Presidio of Monterey Museum
On Corporal Ewing Road.
Most of the wooden buildings on Presidio Hill below the Defense Language Institute complex were constructed from 1902 to 1906 by the 15th Infantry under the direction of Army Captain E.H. Plummer. The museum building was originally the post’s . . . — Map (db m63125) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — Spanish Presidio
On Church Streeet east of Abrega Street, on the right when traveling east.
Approximate location of the West wall of the Presidio of Monterey which was established in 1770 to protect the Spanish settlers. — Map (db m63229) HM
California (Riverside County), Chuckwalla — 53 — Young Divisional CampCamp Young Headquarters Desert Training Center — California-Arizona Maneuver Area —
On Cottonwood Springs Road at unknown dirt road, on the right when traveling north on Cottonwood Springs Road.
Camp Young, named after Lt. Gen. S.B.M. Young, the 1st Army Chief of Staff, was established at this site in the Spring of 1942. It was one of twelve such camps built in the southwestern deserts to harden and train United States Troops for service to . . . — Map (db m78581) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — 666 — Camp Union Sutterville
On Sutterville Road, on the left when traveling east.
The 5th Infantry Regiment, California Volunteers, was organized here on 8 October, 1861 and trained by Brevet Brigadier General George W. Bowie for duty in Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas against the Confederate forces. Since this was the year of the . . . — Map (db m10825) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — 591 — Captain John A. Sutter's Landing
On C Street at 28th Street, on the right when traveling west on C Street.
[Main Marker]: Captain John A. Sutter, after coming up the Sacramento River from Yerba Buena in August 1839, landed approximately two hundred feet north of here, at what was then the south bank of the American River. A short time . . . — Map (db m10522) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — General John A. SutterFebruary 15, 1808 – June 18, 1880
On 28th Street at L Street, on the left when traveling south on 28th Street.
Swiss Immigrant Founder of New Helvetia The beginning of Sacramento Builder of Sutter’s Fort A man of vision and compassion who deserves the respect and gratitude of Americans and Swiss — Map (db m11182) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Sutter's FortThis Tree Came From Kandern, Baden, Germany — The Birthplace of General John A. Sutter —
The Native Sons and Native Daughters of the Golden West planted it on July 19, 1939. and dedicated it September 9, 1948, on the occasion of the celebration of Admission Day and the Centenary of the founding of the modern City of Sacramento. — Map (db m11886) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Baker — 34 — Soda Springs - Zzyzx Mineral Springs
Near Zzyzx Road south of Mojave Freeway (Interstate 15).
In 1860 the U.S. Army established an outpost at Soda Springs to protect government supplies from Indians. Later, miners processed the adjacent lake minerals. In 1906 the Tonopah & Tidewater railroad arrived. From 1944 to 1974 Dr. Curtis H. Springer . . . — Map (db m78587) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Baker — The Desert Studies Center
[Panel #1] 1776 - 1830: Early Explorers Francisco Garces 1776 - As the Revolutionary War broke out, California was still a province of Spain, and the Spanish government decided to help feed a hungry Mexico by farming the . . . — Map (db m83575) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Colton — 617 — Fort Benson
On South Hunts Lane at East Oliver Holmes Road, on the right when traveling south on South Hunts Lane.
This is the site of an adobe fortification erected about 1856-57 by the "Independent" faction in a dispute with the Mormons over a land title. The fort was maintained for about a year. This also is the site of the Indian village of Jumuba, and . . . — Map (db m51027) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Goffs — 61 — Pah-Ute CreekFort Pah-Ute — Mojave Road —
On Lanfair Road at Goffs Road, on the right when traveling south on Lanfair Road.
Pah-Ute Creek, which runs year around, attracted many Indian tribes, who used several Indian trails through this area. The first white man to visit Pah-Ute Creek was Fr. Francisco Garces in May of 1776. It was given it's name by Lt. A.W. Whipple . . . — Map (db m78577) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Newberry Springs — 963-1 — Camp Cady (1860-1871)
Near Cherokee Road.
Camp Cady was located on the Mojave Road which connected Los Angeles to Albuquerque. Non-Indian travel on this and the nearby Salt Lake Road was beset by Paiutes, Mohaves, and Chemehuevis defending their homeland. To protect both roads, Camp Cady . . . — Map (db m50718) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Newberry-Baker — 19 — Camp Rock Spring
On Cedar Canyon Road at New York Mountain Road, on the right when traveling east on Cedar Canyon Road.
To the United States Soldiers of Camp Rock Spring --- who guarded the U.S. Mail No glory there, nor much chance for military fame, but true patriots and heroes were they, to submit to such privations--yet these are the nurseries of the army, . . . — Map (db m78592) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Newberry-Baker — Fort Pah-Ute(1867-68)
Near Old Government Road.
As many as eighteen enlisted men of Company "D," 9th U.S. Infantry once served duty here within the now crumbling walls of "Fort Pah-Ute." Although never established as an official fort, "Pah-Ute Creek," as it was commonly called, did house a small . . . — Map (db m51274) HM
California (San Bernardino County), San Bernardino — 44 — Site of Mormon Stockade
Near North Arrowhead Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Reported missing.
On this site in 1839 was built the first house in San Bernardino, the home of Jose del Carmen Lugo one of the grantees of the Rancho San Bernardino. Also on this site in 1851 a stockade of logs was built as a protection against Indians. In it . . . — Map (db m120632) HM
California (San Diego County), Oak Grove — 482 — Camp Wright1861 - 1866
On State Highway 79 at milepost 49.3, on the right when traveling south.
First established October 18, 1861, on Warner's Ranch at "Fork of the Trail to San Diego", to guard the communications between California and Arizona. Moved to this site by Major Edwin A. Rigg, First California Volunteers, about November 23, 1861. . . . — Map (db m51092) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 69 — Fort Guijarros Site
On Rosecrans Street at Guijarros Road on Rosecrans Street.
An outpost of Spain's far flung empire at its greatest extent, this fort was completed before 1800 from plans drawn by Alberto de Córdoba in 1795. Its major action came under Corporal José Velásquez on March 22, 1803, in the "Battle of San Diego . . . — Map (db m143528) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 62 — Fort Rosecrans
On Rosecrans Street at Guijarros Road on Rosecrans Street.
President Millard Fillmore's executive order of 1852 created a U. S. Preserve on Point Loma. From 1870 to 1873 the coast artillery corpsmen evicted whalers from the site in order to begin the military installation. In 1899 it was named for William . . . — Map (db m81222) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 54 — Fort Stockton
Near Presidio Drive.
Fortified briefly by Carlos Carrillo in 1838. This site became Fort Dupont (July –November 1846) after American forces took Old Town during the Mexican War. Retaken and held briefly by the Californios, it fell once more to the Americans, who . . . — Map (db m81720) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 523 — San Diego Barracks1850 - 1921
On West Harbor Drive east of Pacific Highway, on the right when traveling west.
An army supply depot for Southern California was established on this site in 1850. Designated New San Diego Post, it was garrisoned by troops from December 2, 1858 to May, 1866. Reoccupied December 1869. Name changed to San Diego Barracks April 5, . . . — Map (db m51094) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 59 — San Diego Presidio Site
Near Presidio Drive.
Soldiers, sailors, Indians, and Franciscan missionaries from New Spain occupied the land at Presidio Hill on May 17, 1769 as a military outpost. Two months later, Fr. Junípero Serra established the first San Diego Mission on Presidio Hill. . . . — Map (db m11134) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Aviation Firsts: Crissy Army Airfield
On Lincoln Boulevard south of Ledrum Court, on the left when traveling south.
In the 1920s Army aviators flew wood-and-fabric covered biplanes on daring experimental missions. In 1919, Army Air Corps Major Henry "Hap" Arnold chose this site for a pioneer Army airfield. Arnold's pilots flew both regular aircraft and . . . — Map (db m132489) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — 82 — Castillo de San Joaquin
The first ship to enter San Francisco Bay, the San Carlos (Captain Ayala), dropped anchor off this point August 5, 1775. Lieutenant-Colonel Don Juan Bautista de Anza planted the cross on Cantil Blanco (White Cliff) March 28, 1776. The first . . . — Map (db m10742) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Crissy Field Transformed
On Lincoln Boulevard south of Lendrum Court, on the left when traveling south.
The view before you to the east is one of the greatest transformations at the Presidio since it became a national park in 1994. Originally a tidal marsh, the wetlands were filled in and leased to build part of the 1915 Panama-Pacific International . . . — Map (db m132490) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Defending the Golden Gate
Near Marine Drive.
The Army mounted twenty-one cannon here on the barbette tier. Soldiers could aim the cannon to defend against attack from land or sea. "Yesterday, Queen Emma and suite, of the Hawaiian Islands....visited fortifications of the harbor...The . . . — Map (db m102276) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Defending the Golden Gate
Near Marine Drive.
This level is called the "barbette tier" Cannon mounted "en barbette" have carriages which permit soldiers to fire them over a parapet (or wall). The parapet here is 7 feet 2 inches thick. Fort Point's barbette cannon could sink any wooden ship . . . — Map (db m129413) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — 90 — Fort Gunnybags
On Sacramento Street, on the right when traveling west.
Fort Gunnybags was situated on this spot Headquarters of the Vigilance Committee during the year 1856 — Map (db m143436) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Fort MasonHistoric San Francisco Port of Embarkation
Near Marina Boulevard at Laguna Street.
In response to the 1906 earthquake and fire, and recognizing the critical role of Fort Mason as a naval operations center, Congress appropriated funds to construct the tree piers in use today. Built on land reclaimed from a tidal cove, Fort Mason . . . — Map (db m70027) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Fort Mason Historic DistrictRevived San Francisco hosts 1915 world’s fair!
On San Francisco Bicycle Route 2, on the right when traveling west.
The Panama Pacific International Exposition, 635 acres of grand imagination, proclaimed to the world that San Francisco was fully recovered from the 1906 earthquake. Exhibition-filled palaces were built on filled marshlands between Fort Mason and . . . — Map (db m70001) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Fort Mason Historic DistrictU.S. Army Post (1864-1966)
On San Francisco Bicycle Route 2 at Van Ness Avenue, on the right when traveling west on San Francisco Bicycle Route 2.
First fortified by the Spanish in 1797, this bluff above the bay was re-armed by the U.S. Army in 1864. The post remained active through the Civil War, western Indian Wars, and conflicts abroad, beginning with the Spanish-American War in 1898. . . . — Map (db m70025) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Fort Mason Historic DistrictU.S. Army post (1864-1966)
On Laguna Street at Marina Boulevard, on the right when traveling north on Laguna Street.
First fortified by the Spanish in 1797, this bluff above the bay was re-armed by the U.S. Army in 1864. The post remained active through the Civil War, western Indian Wars, and conflicts abroad, beginning with the Spanish-American War in 1898. . . . — Map (db m132330) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Fort Point
On Marine Drive, on the left when traveling north.
Fort Point is considered one of the finest examples of military architecture in the United States and is San Francisco’s only major building constructed before the Civil War which has remained basically unchanged since it was completed and . . . — Map (db m10677) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Fort Point Light
Near Marine Drive.
The treacherous waters of the Golden Gate have claimed dozens of ships and hundreds of lives. Beginning in 1852, the United States Government funded the construction of a chain of 59 light-houses along the California coast. The Fort Point light . . . — Map (db m102283) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Fort Point National Historic Site
On Long Avenue at Marine Drive, on the right when traveling west on Long Avenue.
What is Fort Point? Once called the "Pride of the Pacific" and "Gibraltar of the West Coast," Fort Point is a brick and granite coastal defense fortification built by the U.S. Army between 1853 and 1861. It was part of a seacoast defense . . . — Map (db m132513) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Fort Point National Historic Site
On Marine Drive 0.3 miles north of Long Avenue, on the left when traveling north.
What is Fort Point? Once called the "Pride of the Pacific" and "Gibraltar of the West Coast," Fort Point is a brick and granite coastal defense fortification built by the U.S. Army between 1853 and 1861. It was part of a seacoast defense . . . — Map (db m132540) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Lover’s Lane
On MacArthur Avenue near Sunset Street, on the right when traveling north.
This trail witnessed the passing of Spanish soldiers, Franciscan missionaries and American soldiers of two centuries. It is perhaps the oldest travel corridor in San Francisco. In 1776 this path connected the Spanish Presidio with the mission, . . . — Map (db m72484) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Montgomery Street Barracks
On Montgomery Street near Lincoln Boulevard, on the right when traveling south.
In the years between the Civil War (1861-1864(sic)) and the Spanish-American War (1898), the health of the army improved drastically. The new concern for soldiers’ well-being; the emphasis on sanitation, which became realizable in the new . . . — Map (db m72483) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Montgomery Street Barracks
On Montgomery Street at Sheridan Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Montgomery Street.
"In the years between the Civil War [1861-64] and the Spanish-American War [1898], the health of the army improved drastically. The new concern for soldiers’ well-being; the emphasis on sanitation, which became realizable in the new buildings . . . — Map (db m132483) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Music in the Military: Presidio Band Barracks
On Montgomery Street near Lincoln Boulevard, on the right when traveling south.
The building to the right was a band barracks, Music kept Army marchers in step, rallied troops in battle, enhanced ceremonies and solemnized burials. Each day at the Presidio began at 6 a.m. with the boom of a cannon and a bugle sounding a rousing . . . — Map (db m129318) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Old and New: Presidio Fire Station
On Lincoln Boulevard at Keyes Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Lincoln Boulevard.
New additions should be designed and constructed so that the character-defining feautures of the historic building are not radically changed, obscured, damaged, or destroyed in the process of rehabilitaion. New design should always be clearly . . . — Map (db m132465) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Post Chapel
On Fisher Loop 0.1 miles south of Sheridan Avenue.
Early in the twentieth century, the Presidio became the Army's most prestigious west coast installation. The Army began constructing Mission style buildings with white walls and red tile roofs to reflect the post's California heritage. This Post . . . — Map (db m132480) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — San Francisco Port of EmbarkationSoldiers shipped out from here
On San Francisco Bicycle Route 2, on the right when traveling west.
First the Spanish and then the American military used this bluff to guard the harbor against hostile invasion. As the 19th century came to a close, Fort Mason’s mission shifted from keeping enemy ships out of the bay to sending U.S. military ships . . . — Map (db m70000) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — San Francisco Port of Embarkation
Near Marina Boulevard.
Army’s primary depot for Pacific operation First garrisoned by U.S. Army troops during the Civil War, Fort Mason later played a key role in the emergence of the United States as an international power. Throughout the 1800s, the young . . . — Map (db m70018) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — San Francisco Port of Embarkation (1932-1962)Headquarters
Near MacArthur Avenue west of Franklin Street, on the right when traveling west.
Critical Logistics Center for the Army’s Pacific Operations. From its start in 1902 as an army hospital, built to accommodate twelve patients, this building went on to become the U. S. Army’s headquarters for troop and supply transport to . . . — Map (db m63580) HM WM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — The Era of Earthworks BatteriesBattery East
Near U.S. 101 at Lincoln Boulevard.
Armored vessels and rifled artillery developed during the Civil War could destroy brick forts like Fort Point. As a consequence, these walled forts were replaced by earthen gun emplacements with underground ammunition magazines like Battery East, . . . — Map (db m131192) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Western Defense Command Headquarters
On Lincoln Boulevard at Keyes Street, on the right when traveling west on Lincoln Boulevard.
Across the street to your left is Building 35. Lives were changed by decisions made here. Originally built as cavalry barracks in 1912, it was converted in 1918 for the School of Bakers and Cooks and then in 1921 to serve as the headquarters of the . . . — Map (db m132417) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Barbara — 636 — Site of Royal Spanish Presidio
On East Canon Perdido Street at Santa Barbara Street, on the right when traveling west on East Canon Perdido Street.
This presidio was established under orders of King Carlos III, April 19-21, 1782, by Governor Felipe De Neve, Padre Junipero Serra and Lieutenant Jose Francisco Ortega, to provide the benefits of government for the inhabitants of the Santa Barbara . . . — Map (db m50557) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Cupertino — Captain Elisha Stephens1804 - 1887 — A True Pioneer —
Near Stevens Creek Boulevard.
Captain Stephens brought the first wagons over the snow covered Sierra Nevada Truckee Pass with no casualties in the Stephens-Murphy-Townsend party of 1844, arriving at Sutter's Fort with 11 wagons and 51 people plus 2 infants born on the way. . . . — Map (db m24125) HM
California (Shasta County), Anderson — 379 — Fort Reading.
On Dersch Road 0.6 miles east of Deschutes Road, on the left when traveling east.
Located 80 rods north. Established May 26, 1852 by Co, E 2nd Infantry U.S.A. Evacuated June 1867. Marked by U.S. Army April 6, 1934. Sponsored by Shasta Historical Society. — Map (db m143472) HM
California (Shasta County), Fall River Mills — Captain Dick and Richard Pugh
On McArthur Road (Route A19) south of Soldier Mountain Road, on the right when traveling north.
In Commemoration of Captain Dick and Richard Pugh The 1850's saw tension and turmoil between the early settlers and the native peoples of the Fall River Valley. Richard Pugh, a native of Wales, was chosen by Lt. George Crook to be his . . . — Map (db m10287) HM
California (Shasta County), Fall River Mills — 355 — Fort Crook
On McArthur Road, on the right when traveling north.
In Commemoration of Fort Crook Established July 1, 1857 by Lieut' George Crook and Command for the protection of the immigrants and settlers. Later occupied by Capt John W Gardner and Capt McGregor. The boundaries of this fort were . . . — Map (db m143473) HM
California (Siskiyou County), Fort Jones — 317 — Fort Jones1852-1858
On Eastside Road 0.4 miles south of Main Street, on the right when traveling north.
On this ground there was established on Oct. 16, 1852 a military post by Companies A and B First United States Dragoons. From April 23 1853 until June 28 1858, the date of its abandonment, this fort was garrisoned by Company E 4th US Infantry. . . . — Map (db m62845) HM
California (Sonoma County), Jenner — 5 — Fort Ross
Near Highway 1 near Fort Ross Road, on the left when traveling north.
Founded 1812 by Russians from Sitka. When Russians withdrew to Alaska, 1841, Captain Sutter bought the improvements and supplies. Acquired by State in 1906 and remaining buildings restored - Greek Orthodox Chapel, Commandants Quarters and Stockade. . . . — Map (db m68792) HM
California (Sonoma County), Jenner — Fort Ross
Near Fort Ross Road 0.2 miles west of Coast Highway (California Route 1), on the left when traveling west.
This chapel was a part of the settlement founded by the Russians in 1812 and known as Fort Ross. The fort was in the form of a quadrangle, about 300 feet square, inclosed by a redwood wall, with two blockhouses at opposite corners. Fort Ross . . . — Map (db m92911) HM
California (Sonoma County), Jenner — Fort Ross Defenses
Near Coast Highway (California Route 1) near Fort Ross Road, on the left when traveling north.
The key to the defense of early frontier forts was the blockhouse. It was from the blockhouse that an attacker could be put under a deadly barrage. In the event that the stockade wall was breached, the defenders could retire to the blockhouse for a . . . — Map (db m85610) HM
California (Sonoma County), Jenner — Sandy Beach Cove
Near Highway 1 near Fort Ross Road.
Sandy Beach Cover lies below the fort. The principal port of the settlement was 19 miles to the south at Port Rumiantsev (Bodega Bay), where there was a deep-water anchorage and a warehouse. Russian Navy and Russian-American Company ships frequently . . . — Map (db m16362) HM
California (Sonoma County), Jenner — The Call Family Residence1878 - 1972
Near Highway 1 near Fort Ross Road.
George Washington Call (1829-1907) and his Chilean wife, Mercedes Leiva (1850-1933), bought 2,500 acres including Fort Ross in 1873. While maintaining a house in San Francisco, the family developed a dairy ranch and expanded the transport of local . . . — Map (db m16357) HM
California (Sonoma County), Jenner — The Native Alaskan Village
Near Highway 1 near Fort Ross Road.
Native Alaskans, brought to Fort Ross by the Russian-American Company to hunt sea mammals and provide a work force for the colon, established a village on the marine terrace in front of the fort. The neighborhood also included the dwellings of . . . — Map (db m16361) HM
California (Sonoma County), Jenner — The Russian Cemetery
Near Coast Highway (State Highway 1) near Fort Ross Road, on the left when traveling north.
Across the gulch to the east, a large Russian Orthodox cross marks the site of the settlement's cemetery. In 1990 the University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, and California State Parks conducted an archaeological investigation of the historic Russian . . . — Map (db m85607) HM
California (Sonoma County), Jenner — The Russian Village Site - Sloboda
Near Coast Highway (State Highway 1) near Fort Ross Road, on the left when traveling north.
Most of the inhabitants of Settlement Ross resided outside the fort; only Russian-American Company officials and visitors lived inside. Everyone in the vicinity of Fort Ross worked for the company. Lower-ranking Russian and Creole employees . . . — Map (db m85614) HM
California (Sonoma County), Jenner — Welcome to Fort Ross
Near Fort Ross Road south of Coast Highway (California Route 1).
In the early 1800s, Fort Ross was a thriving international community on the edge of the Spanish frontier. In 1812, the Russian-American Company (RAC) built Fort Ross at Metini, a centuries-old Kashaya village. The Fort had two purposes. The first . . . — Map (db m115933) HM
California (Tulare County), Visalia — Camp Babbitt
On North Santa Fe Street south of East Race Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
On October 6, 1862 Capt. Moses McLaughlin and Lt. Col. George S. Evans commanding 57 men of Company D, 2nd Cavalry, California Volunteers arrived in Visalia. They had come from Camp Independence, Owens Valley over the newly completed Coso Trail. . . . — Map (db m141739) HM
California (Yuba County), Wheatland — Camp Far West Cemetery
Near Camp Far West Road south of Spenceville Road/Camp Beale Highway. Reported missing.
[ Inscribed on the monument: ] Side A: To the Memory of the Pioneers who were buried here between the years 1844 – 1856 Side B: Erected 1911 By the Grand Parlor Native Sons of the Golden West [ . . . — Map (db m40633) HM
Colorado (Bent County), Las Animas — Welcome to Bent County
Near Carson Avenue (Colorado Route 101) north of 8th Street, on the right when traveling north.
This region was once buffalo hunting grounds for the Cheyenne, Apache, Arapaho, Kiowa and Comanche. Tribes followed the buffalo throughout the plains and controlled the land. During this time, everything south of the Arkansas river was Mexico and . . . — Map (db m120709) HM
Colorado (Costilla County), Fort Garland — 16 — Fort Garland
On State Highway 159 0.2 miles south of U.S. 160, on the left when traveling north.
This memorial is the property of the State of Colorado ——— Fort Garland United States military outpost to protect settlers from hostile Indians. Named for Brig. Gen. John . . . — Map (db m22731) HM
Colorado (Costilla County), Fort Garland — 190 — Fort Garland / Buffalo Soldiers
Near State Highway 159, on the right when traveling south.
Front The Soldier’s Life Fort Garland housed infantry and cavalry units. During the 1870’s the famed Buffalo Soldiers—African-American cavalrymen—were also posted here. For all soldiers—and their . . . — Map (db m71032) HM WM
Colorado (Delta County), Delta — Fort Uncompahgre
Near North Palmer Street north of Confluence Drive, on the right when traveling north.
One of the many trading posts built by Antoine (Anton French) Robidoux, First built around 1828 at the juncture of the Grand (Gunnison) and Uncompahgre Rivers then a territory of Mexico and Ute Indian country on the well traveled "Old . . . — Map (db m120059) HM
Colorado (El Paso County), Colorado Springs — Old Fort and Stockade
On West Pikes Peak Avenue west of North 28th Street, on the right when traveling west.
This marks the site of the Old Fort and Stockade built by Pioneers of Colorado City used in defense against the Indians in 1864 and 1868 Constructed of logs set on end _____ Erected by Old . . . — Map (db m96054) HM
Colorado (El Paso County), Monument — Old Stone Fort
On Davidson Street south of Colorado Route 105.
This tablet is the property of the State of Colorado _____ Due south 610 feet is the Old Stone Fort built at the pioneer home of David McShane. Constructed as a defense against Arapaho and . . . — Map (db m104869) HM
Colorado (La Plata County), Breen — [Old] Fort Lewis College
Near State Highway 140 0.2 miles west of Colorado State Highway 140.
Originated on the site of a U.S. Cavalry post established in 1880 at Hesperus. From 1891 until 1956 the old fort was operated as an Indian school, a vocational high school and a junior college. The first president of the college was Charles . . . — Map (db m22765) HM
Colorado (La Plata County), Hesperus — The Old Spanish Trail
On U.S. 160 0.8 miles west of Cherry Creek Road, on the left when traveling west.
Between 1800 and 1850, the Old Spanish Trail became a regional trade route between Santa Fe and California. Dominguez and Escalante traveled through this valley in 1776. Within twenty-five years of their expedition this trail became a . . . — Map (db m71614) HM
Colorado (Lake County), Leadville — Norwegian Memorial99th Infantry Battalion (Separate) Memorial — Norwegian Operational Groups of the OSS Memorial —
On Hwy 24 at Tennessee Pass Road, on the right when traveling north on Hwy 24.
World War II United States Army Ski Troopers 99th Infantry Battalion (Separate) The Viking Battalion Office of Strategic Services O.S.S. NORSO (Rype Group) Special Forces The 99th Infantry Battalion (SEP) was: Activated 10 . . . — Map (db m112932) HM WM
Colorado (Larimer County), Loveland — 20 — Namaqua
On N County Road 19E, on the right when traveling north.
This Memorial Is the Property Of The State Of Colorado Namaqua Home, trading post and fort of Mariano Modena, early trapper, scout and pioneer. First settlement in the Big Thompson Valley. Station on Overland . . . — Map (db m51194) HM
Colorado (Las Animas County), Trinidad — The Santa Fe Trail
On West Main Street at North Commercial Street, on the right when traveling west on West Main Street.
This memorial is the Property of the State of Colorado The Santa Fe Trail 1840 - 1878 Two roads or forks of the Mountain Branch of the Santa Fe Trail-Bent's Old Fort to Taos and Santa Fe-joined . . . — Map (db m104912) HM
Colorado (Logan County), Merino — 2 — Fort Wicked
On Grand Army of the Republic Highway (State Highway 6) at County Road 2.5, on the right when traveling east on Grand Army of the Republic Highway.
Due west 940 feet stood “Fort Wicked" Originally Godfrey’s Ranch Famous Overland Stage Station One of the few posts withstanding the Indian uprising of 1864 on the road to Colorado. Named from the . . . — Map (db m61998) HM
Colorado (Morgan County), Fort Morgan — Old Fort Morgan
On Riverview Avenue.
Occupied from 1864 to 1868 and the divergence of the Denver Cut Off from the Overland Trail This monument is erected by Fort Morgan Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution 1912 — Map (db m51213) HM
Colorado (Otero County), La Junta — A Cast of Colorful CharactersBent's Old Fort National Historic Site
Near State Highway 194 0.1 miles east of County Road 35, on the right when traveling east.
John C. Fremont His name appears on almost any roll of Western pathbreakers. Fremont’s expeditions were instrumental in opening the Southwest. He visited the fort on three of his first four expeditions to the West. Susan . . . — Map (db m71849) HM
Colorado (Otero County), La Junta — An Adobe OutpostBent's Old Fort National Historic Site
Near State Highway 194 0.1 miles east of County Road 35, on the right when traveling east.
A Mud Castle Rises In 1833, Bent, St. Vrain & Company built a trading post on the semi-arid reaches of the Arkansas River on the U.S. border with Mexico. Few if any buildings in the American West approached Bent’s Fort in size and . . . — Map (db m71847) HM
Colorado (Otero County), La Junta — Edward Dorris
Near State Highway 194 0.1 miles east of County Road 35.
Edward Dorris Died July 21, 1865 Aged 31 years 2 Ms. 28 Ds. EDWARD Thou Hast Gone to Rest In This Far Country of the West Brothers and Friends Mourn and Weep Thou in this Tomb Dost Sweetly Sleep Edward Dorris, a . . . — Map (db m71850) HM
Colorado (Otero County), La Junta — Mountain Men to MerchantsBent's Old Fort National Historic Site
Near State Highway 194 0.1 miles east of County Road 35, on the right when traveling east.
I wish I was capable to do Bent and St. Vrain justice for the kindness received at their hands. I can only say their equals were never in the mountains. - Christopher “Kit” Carson Charles Bent Charles Bent led . . . — Map (db m71848) HM
Colorado (Otero County), La Junta — Traveling Through HistoryBent's Old Fort National Historic Site
On State Highway 194 0.3 miles east of County Road 35, on the right when traveling east.
For centuries, the Arkansas River Valley has been an important travel corridor that has shaped our nation’s history. Long before the fort was built, wildlife, native peoples, European explorers, trappers, and traders traveled through this river . . . — Map (db m71851) HM
Colorado (Otero County), La Junta — Welcome to the BorderlandsBent's Old Fort National Historic Site
Near State Highway 194 0.1 miles east of County Road 35, on the right when traveling east.
In winters northers howled ... In summer temperatures climbed above the hundred-degree mark ... Spirits shriveled as respiratory organs dried; lips cracked and eyes burned ... it took a particular kind of spiritual iron to survive ... . . . — Map (db m71846) HM
Colorado (Pueblo County), Pueblo — Fort PuebloSite of Indian Massacre — Dec 25, 1854 —
On West 1st Street at Court Street, on the right when traveling west on West 1st Street.
This memorial commemorating the Old Pueblo Fort Site erected by The Arkansas Valley & Pueblo Chapters, Daughters of the American Revolution. Dedicated Nov. 17, 1923. On Christmas Day, 1854, a massacre occurred at Fort Pueblo on the . . . — Map (db m64755) HM
Colorado (Sedgwick County), Ovid — 49 — Fort SedgwickDue South 1 ¼ Miles is the site of
On U.S. 138 just east of 2nd Street, on the right when traveling east.
Established in September, 1864, as a United States Army Post. Called Camp Rankin and Post Julesburg Name changed in November 1865, to honor General John Sedgwick, who was killed at Spottsylvania May 9, 1864 The fort protected the stage line and . . . — Map (db m47365) HM
Colorado (Sedgwick County), Ovid — Fort Sedgwick, Colorado Territory
On County Route 28 0.3 miles west of River Road, on the right.
"We have no business to put men out here unless we give them food and shelter, and all things but sand and water must be hauled from 1 to 400 miles." Lt. Gen. William T. Sherman, Fort Sedgwick, August 1866

Camp Rankin was established just . . . — Map (db m47341) HM

Colorado (Sedgwick County), Ovid — Hard Duty on the Plains
On County Route 28 0.3 miles west of River Road, on the right when traveling west.
Military records, diaries and letters of those who survived life at the post reveal a saga of fraud and corruption, bravery and daring-do...triumph and tragedy...where conditions were considered unlivable, pleasures were few and the nearest bath . . . — Map (db m47342) HM
Colorado (Weld County), Firestone — Fort Junction
Near Interstate 25 Frontage Road south of State Road 119.
This memorial is the property of the state of Colorado. — Two Hundred feet due east of this point stood Fort Junction a sod enclosure erected in 1864 by the pioneers of Boulder and St. Vrain Valleys . . . — Map (db m119519) HM
Colorado (Weld County), Fort Lupton — Fort Lupton
On CanAm Highway (U.S. 85) 1.2 miles south of County Route 18, on the right when traveling south.
This memorial is the property of the State of Colorado Due west ¼ mile is the site of Fort Lupton Established in 1836 by Lieut. Lancaster P. Lupton A rendezvous of the early . . . — Map (db m119520) HM
Colorado (Weld County), Platteville — Fort Vasquez
On U.S. 85, in the median.
In this area along the South Platte River, competing fur companies in the late 1830's established a string of four adobe trading posts -- Fort Vasquez, Fort St. Vrain, Fort Jackson and Fort Lupton traversed by the Old Trapper's Trail which connected . . . — Map (db m89596) HM
Colorado (Weld County), Platteville — Fort Vasquez
On U.S. 85 near 13412 U.S. Highway 85, in the median.
Established in 1837 by Louis Vasquez and Andrew W. Sublette. Maintained until 1842 as a post for trade in buffalo robes and beaver skins with Arapahoes and Cheyennes. Rendezvous of early trappers. Emigrant station on Platte River Trail after . . . — Map (db m89597) HM
Colorado (Weld County), Platteville — Fort Vasquez / Fort Vasquez Country
On CanAm Highway (U.S. 85) 0.6 miles south of County Road 30, in the median.
Fort Vasquez As trappers and explorers, Louis Vasquez and Andrew Sublette helped build the lucrative fur trade. But by 1835, when they raised Fort Vasquez midway between Fort Laramie and Bent's Old Fort along Trapper's Trail and . . . — Map (db m120215) HM
Colorado (Weld County), Platteville — Fort Vasquez Trading Post1835 — Welcome - Bienvenido - Bonjour —
On U.S. 85.
You are standing at the north edge of a historic adobe fort of the fur trade era, founded by Andrew W. Sublette and Pierre Louis Vasquez in 1835 to support trade with the Cheyenne and Arapaho tribes. These men and their fellow trappers were . . . — Map (db m89619) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stamford — Fort Stamford
On Westover Road, on the right when traveling south.
To mark the site near by of Fort Stamford Built and garrisoned for the defense of the people in these parts in the War for American Independence Erected by Stamford Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution Sept. 14, A.D. 1926 < Lower . . . — Map (db m53431) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stamford — Fort Stamford1781 - 1783
On Westover Road, on the right when traveling south.
1776           1976       In August, 1781 Gov. Jonathan Trumbull and the Council of Safety ordered construction of fortifications near Stamford to prevent a surprise attack from the enemy. Designed by Col. Rufus Putnam, and erected and garrisoned by . . . — Map (db m53433) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Windsor — Old Fort Marker1633 - 1933
On Connecticut Route 159.
On the brow of the hill overlooking the meadow stood the Old Stone Fort or Stoughton House. It was in two portions, one stone, probably the older, and one wood. At the north end was a door of heavy oak timbers studded with iron spikes, which bore . . . — Map (db m28364) HM
Connecticut (New Haven County), Meriden — Castle Craig
Near West Main Street at Hubbard Park Drive, on the right when traveling west.
Castle Craig Dedicated october 29, 1900 Castle Craig Tower stands 32 feet high on 976 foot East Peak in Meriden's Olmstead designed Hubbard Park. It has the distinction of being the highest point within 25 miles of the coast from Maine to . . . — Map (db m33628) HM
Connecticut (New Haven County), New Haven — Beacon Hill
On Beacon Avenue at Clarendon Street, on the right when traveling south on Beacon Avenue.
On this spot a signal beacon was established in 1775 and about this hill American patriots bravely resisted a large force of invading British troops July 5, 1779 To honor the deeds of the Fathers Rising above the location of this sign . . . — Map (db m35735) HM
Connecticut (New Haven County), New Haven — Black Rock Fort
Near Woodward Avenue at Pope Street, on the right when traveling south.
Black Rock Fort Here on July 5, 1779, eighteen men under Lieutenant Daniel Bishop stood in defense of New Haven against a British fleet commanded by Commodore Sir George Collier and land forces commanded by Major General William Tryon. When . . . — Map (db m35730) HM
Connecticut (New Haven County), New Haven — Fort Nathan HaleBlack Rock Fort
On Woodward Avenue at Pope Street, on the right when traveling south on Woodward Avenue.
Fort Nathan Hale Black Rock Fort Entered the National Register of Historic Places October 28, 1970 — Map (db m35726) HM
Connecticut (New Haven County), Waterbury — Fortified House Of Ensign Stanley
On W. Main Street at Leavenworth Street, on the right when traveling east on W. Main Street.
In This Vicinity Stood The Fortified House of Ensign Stanley Into Which the Colonists Fled From Unfriendly Indians 1700. The Clark Tavern Which Was Repeatedly Occupied By Detachments of Revolutionary War Soldiers And The Academy, . . . — Map (db m116383) HM
Connecticut (New London County), Groton — Covered Way
Near Monument Street, on the left when traveling west.
A pathway between the fort and the lower battery where soldiers using it were under cover from enemy gunfire. — Map (db m19053) HM
Connecticut (New London County), Groton — Death of Major William Montgomery
Near Park Avenue at Monument Street, on the left when traveling west.
The death of Major William Montgomery while leading the British attack on the Fort at this point. Sept. 6th 1781 — Map (db m18049) HM
Connecticut (New London County), Groton — Powder Magazine
Near Monument Street, on the left when traveling west.
Built in 1843 for the storage of gun Powder — Map (db m19055) HM
Connecticut (New London County), Groton — Shot Furnace
Near Monument Street, on the left when traveling west.
Built in 1843 – To heat cannon balls to set wooden vessels aflame when struck — Map (db m19054) HM
Connecticut (New London County), Groton — The Construction of Fort GriswoldStabilization and Preservation of Fort Griswold — Phase 1 —
On Monument Street, on the left when traveling west.
In November 1775, Colonel Jedeiah Elderkin was directed by the Governor and the Council of Safety “to view the circumstances of the harbor at New London and neighboring places, and consider of the most proper place and manner of fortifying the . . . — Map (db m19041) HM
Connecticut (New London County), New London — “Aim, Load, Fire”
Near East Street, on the left when traveling south.
This scene features a replica 32-pound cannon that would have been employed here during the 1850s and 1860s. Thirty-two pound refers to the weight of the cannonballs used in this weapon. The soldiers are in the process of sponging the bore, . . . — Map (db m48406) HM
Connecticut (New London County), New London — Blockhouse
Near East Street, on the left when traveling south.
This sturdy granite building is the oldest surviving structure at Fort Trumbull State Park. At the urging of President George Washington, Congress authorized funds to fortify American seaports in 1794. A French engineer, Stephen Rochefontaine, . . . — Map (db m48265) HM
Connecticut (New London County), New London — Civil War
Near East Street, on the left when traveling south.
Ironically, the Third System forts, built to protect the U.S. coastline from foreign aggression, were never fired on by another country, but some were attacked by American rebel forces. The Civil War started in April of 1861 when Confederate cannon . . . — Map (db m48313) HM

4477 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 151 through 351 were listed. Previous 200 Next 4127
Paid Advertisement