Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Architecture Historical Markers

752 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 552
 
City of Daphne Marker with City Hall in background. image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, January 14, 2017
City of Daphne Marker with City Hall in background.
Alabama (Baldwin County), Daphne — City of DaphneIncorporated July 8, 1927
The City of Daphne was incorporated July 8, 1927 with a population of 500. its history, however, dates to a much earlier period. Research and artifacts show that Tensaw, Alabama, Choctaw, Creeks, and Seminole Indians all lived in the this area prior . . . — Map (db m100843) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmington — Vulcan Statue
When it was first proposed in 1905 that Vulcan be placed on Red Mountain, the time was not right for such a move. But by 1935 when the idea for Vulcan Park was proposed, iron ore mining had ceased here, the mineral railroad had been abandoned and . . . — Map (db m95335) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Aaron Gus Green
In 2001, Aaron Green, a Taliesin Fellow and a member of the College of Fellows of the American Institute of Architects, was awarded the very first Gold Medal by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation. — Map (db m109411) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Athens — Faces of Market Street
From the 1850s to the 1970s, the Louisville & Nashville Depot was located between Market and Washington streets. The building has been used as a dress ship, a photographer's studio, and in 2004 was remodeled for the Limestone County Archives. . . . — Map (db m93878) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Athens — Scenes From Hobbs & Market Streets
The First Baptist Church, organized in 1824, built a meeting house in 1826. A brick structure was erected in 1831 but was replaced with the above building in 1909. This church located on the north west corner of Clinton and Hobbs streets, was later . . . — Map (db m93883) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee — 119 Westside StreetHistoric Tuskegee
This two-story brick structure, built in 1870, is an example of the Italianate Style. Many of these buildings no longer exist, being replaced by later growth in downtown districts. The Italianate Style is distinguished by the large upper story . . . — Map (db m100193) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee — Macon County Legal Milestone
Front Macon County was created by the Alabama Legislature on December 18, 1832 and formed out of land formerly belonging to the Creek Indians. The County was named for Nathaniel Macon, a Revolutionary War soldier and long-serving . . . — Map (db m99677) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Campus Architect — Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site
. . . I should consider it a far-reaching calamity for us to lose Mr. Taylor at Tuskegee. —Booker T. Washington Look at the buildings around the main quadrangle. Much of what you see is the work of Robert R. Taylor, . . . — Map (db m101929) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Lowell M. AndersonFather of Monte Sano Club
(side A) He proposed this pool to the residents, found the site, raised funds and crews, and put both to work. He trained residents of all ages and professions to operate bulldozers, bend and tie rebar, pour concrete, and plumb a pool. . . . — Map (db m108684) HM
Alabama (Morgan County), Decatur — Historic Downtown/Founders Park
Public Buildings 1. Public City Hall 2. Decatur Police Station 3. Decatur/Morgan Co. Chamber of Comm. 4. Decatur Public Library 5. Federal Bldg./Post Office 6. Morgan County Archives 7. Morgan County Courthouse 8. Morgan . . . — Map (db m103228) HM
Alabama (Morgan County), Decatur — Old Decatur Historic District/Historic Depot
The Old Decatur Historic District dates Back to the town's settlement in 1817; at that time it was called Rhodes Ferry Landing after Dr. Henry W. Rhodes, an early landowner who operated a ferry across the Tennessee River. In 1820, President . . . — Map (db m103229) HM
Alabama (Morgan County), Decatur — Old Decatur Historic District/Old State Bank
The Old Decatur Historic District dates Back to the Town's settlement in 1817; at that time it was called Rhodes Ferry Landing after Dr. Henry W. Rhodes, an early landowner who operated a ferry across the Tennessee River. In 1820, President . . . — Map (db m103225) HM WM
Alabama (Pike County), Troy — First United Methodist Church
The Methodist Episcopal Church of Troy was organized in 1843. The first building was constructed in 1858, on land donated by Ann Dowdell Love, affectionately known as "Granny Love." The second structure was erected in 1888. The present edifice, . . . — Map (db m36518) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon — Grand Canyon Village
A rich architectural history awaits as you explore Grand Canyon Village. Eclectic in nature, the village is a mix of early pioneer, Santa Fe Railroad, and National Park Service structures. Entrepreneurial-pioneers started building here in the early . . . — Map (db m95934) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Jacob Lake — Jacob Lake Ranger Station
Built in 1910 Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m94918) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Sedona — 19 — Chapel of the Holy Cross, 1956City of Sedona Landmark No. 19
It took decades of searching for a perfect location before Marguerite Brunswig Staude's inspiring modern Catholic church could be built. The Chapel of the Holy Cross is an extraordinary architectural achievement, designed by architects Anshen & . . . — Map (db m94811) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Sedona — Hart Pump House
A designated Sedona Historic Landmark built in 1932 by the Civilian Conservation Corps — Map (db m94814) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Bentonville — Democratic Architecture / Usonian Characteristics

The word "Usonian" was derived from an abbreviation of "United States of North America." Frank Lloyd Wright embraced this term as the name for a distinct American and democratic style of residential architecture he developed during the Great . . . — Map (db m108874) HM

Arkansas (Chicot County), Lake Village — Lakeport Plantation House
Side 1 The Lakeport Plantation house was constructed circa 1859 for Lycurgus and Lydia Taylor Johnson. The skilled craftsmanship and lasting character are testaments to those who built the house. It is preserved in remembrance of all who . . . — Map (db m90491) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — 122
Constructed 1891 in as dry goods and grocery store until 1915. Utah Apts above and restaurant below. Became the Apple Apts and Dixie Coffee Shop in 1840's. Recently was Magnolia Gift and Night Train Lounge. Remodeled apartments 1992. Wheatley . . . — Map (db m102704) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — 126
Constructed in 1891 as a clothing store by Simon Meyer, one of the most successful merchants in the late 1890's. In 1923 Rosa Meyer opened a dry goods store and later the Walkowitz General Store. Most recently the Oyster Bar restaurant. Wheatly . . . — Map (db m102708) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — 201The Howe Hotel
. . . — Map (db m102563) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Geyer & Adams Building(1914)
In 1904, John E. Geyer and his business partner John D. Adams moved their wholesale grocery business into a building located on this site. The partners replaced that building with this structure, designed by Charles Thompson, in 1914. The Geyer and . . . — Map (db m102091) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Porbeck & Bowman Building(1882)
Max Hilb and William Probst built this structure, designed by Joseph Willis, in 1882 for Probst & Hilb Liquor Company. The upper floor contained a two-story space that housed Concordia Hall, a Jewish social club. F. M. Fletcher and T.J. McCarthy . . . — Map (db m102056) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Tuf-Nut Lofts
This property operated as horse stable in the late 19th century followed by the construction of single family dwellings. The primary user of the property during the 20th century was the Tuf-Nut Garment Manufacturing Company. Founded by James D. . . . — Map (db m102093) HM
California (Alameda County), Alameda — GPY-140-02 — Clark Memorial BenchMy Dumb Friends Bench
Donated to the city of Alameda in 1920 by Park Avenue resident Isabella Derby Clark, this concrete bench was designed by Myrtle Maillot. Mrs. Clark was a proponent of animal welfare. The inscription "In memory of my dumb friends" is a reference to . . . — Map (db m101553) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Food & Ships
Oakland Canneries By the early 20th century, harbor improvements, expanded port facilities, and transcontinental rail service had made Oakland one of the state's leading exporters of processed food of all kinds: canned, dried, bottled, . . . — Map (db m92788) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — "Old Borges Ranch"
Walnut Creek's Old Borges Ranchhouse, as the cornerstone of a working cattle ranch, was first built by Frank (Francisco) and his wife Mary Borges, their sons and daughters in 1899. Since then, this house has withstood five generations of the hard . . . — Map (db m93983) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Long Beach — The Jergins Trust Building1919 - 1988
Designed by architect Harvey Lochridge for Fred Markwell in 1914, but not constructred until 1919, the Jergins Building was originally named after Markwell. Built in the Beaux-Arts style, the six story structure contained a theater and offices. In . . . — Map (db m94328) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Bradbury Building
Mining Tycoon L. Bradbury Makes His Mark His name endures in the eponymous town of wealth and horseflesh set against the San Gabriel Mountains, but mining tycoon Louis Bradbury made his loveliest mark on Southern California with the . . . — Map (db m92497) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Oviatt Building
Paris Exposition Like the jewel-box that it is, the Oviatt Building husbands its treasures within its walls… yet even casual passerby can get a hint of the gorgeousness inside, from just a glimpse of the nymph-crowned gates, of the overhead . . . — Map (db m92506) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — < — Spring Street
Spring Street In Northern California, they panned gold in the mountain canyons. In Southern California, they made gold, in the concrete canyons of Spring Street.Map (db m92500) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Mission Hills — Fray Fermin Francisco DeLasuen, O.F.M.(1736-1803)
Born in Victoria, Spain - 1736. Joined the Franciscan Order in 1751. Sent to the College of San Fernando in Mexico City in 1759. Labored in Mexico and Baja, California until 1775. Spent 10 years at Mission San Diego. Selected 2nd Presidente . . . — Map (db m101198) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Redondo Beach — 5 — The Plunge and ... The Lightning Racer
As the 1890s evolved into the Roaring '20s, people came by train, Red Car or Model T to enjoy Redondo Beach's advertised "clean water" at The Plunge and to experience the thrill of riding the Lightning Racer roller Coaster. The Moorish . . . — Map (db m93437) HM
California (Placer County), Soda Springs — 6 — Rainbow Lodge
History Rainbow Tavern, as it was known, was built in 1927 by Herstle Jones who also built Nyack Lodge. He was the brother of Oscar Jones who built the Soda Springs Hotel. Rainbow Lodge served as a way spot for summer travelers over the . . . — Map (db m95575) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Bernard Maybeck (1862-1957)American Master
Walk through the grounds of the Palace of Fine Arts and notice how vistas change before your eyes. As vegetation frames and softens the lines of the architecture, the architecture in turn becomes a picture frame, highlighting views of the lush . . . — Map (db m102290) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Franscico — The Palace LagoonFrom Water-Filled Bog to Landmark
The lagoon fronting the Palace of Fine Arts is a relic of San Francisco's early landscape. It was once part of a slough on a tidal wetland stretching from present-day Divisadero Street well into the Presidio. Salt water from the San Francisco Bay . . . — Map (db m102286) HM
California (San Luis Obispo County), Nipomo — 1033 — Rancho NipomoCaptain William G. Dana Rancho
Rancho Nipomo, almost 38,000 acres in size, was granted to Boston sea captain William Goodwin Dana, in 1837. The rancho for many years was the first stopping place on El Camino Real south of Mission San Luis Obispo. From 1839 until Dana's death in . . . — Map (db m102642) HM
California (San Mateo County), Half Moon Bay — Zaballa House
After gold was discovered, the thousands who came to California began to build cities and towns. Today's Half Moon Bay grew upon the Mexican land grant awarded to Mexican soldier Candelario Miramontes. In 1853 Estanislao Zaballa came from Spain . . . — Map (db m102405) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Goleta — Hope House
Built in 1875 by Thomas Hope of Ireland, the house was headquarters for the 4500-acre sheep ranch. The house, which was designed by Peter Barber, was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. George Obern in 1967 and restored to near original condition. — Map (db m106424) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Barbara — Hotel Virginia
The Hotel Virginia at 17 West Haley Street was originally built in 1916 as a two-story brick hotel by Charles Maas, with a third story addition in 1925. Haley at this time was a residential street with small redwood homes set on large lots. The . . . — Map (db m106957) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Barbara — The Oreña Adobe1849
Constructed in 1849 by Don José de la Guerra, this adobe was originally used to house supplies brought in from ships anchored in the harbor. Don Gaspar Oreña bought the adobe and added the story-and-a-half portion in 1858, shortly after his . . . — Map (db m106881) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — J. Pearce Mitchell Park
J. Pearce Mitchell Park, built in 1957, was one of the first of a new type of community park based on active recreation for leisure living. The design for this park and its playground served as important examples for many other parks and playgrounds . . . — Map (db m92467) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — 32 — San Jose Woman's Club
In December 1894, nine women met to form the San Jose Woman's Club . Supporting temperance and suffrage, the members also promoted education, community improvements and the arts. The club was opened to women of all creeds and nationalities. Today, . . . — Map (db m108410) HM
California (Sonoma County), Glen Ellen — Horse Power and ManureWere Put to Work on London's Beauty Ranch
In the early 1900's, horses were still the main source of power on farms and ranches. They were used for riding, pulling cars, wagons and other heavy farm equipment. Though he owned about 50 horses, Jack London most prized the beautiful and . . . — Map (db m102556) HM
California (Sonoma County), Glen Ellen — Jack London experimentedby growing spineless cactus for livestock feed
Jack London saw fine, fat cattle in Hawaii living well on spined cactus and wanted to duplicate the success of Hawaiian ranchers. He planted this field with Spineless Prickly Pear Cactus, Opuntia avalon, developed by renowned horticulturalist . . . — Map (db m102536) HM
California (Sonoma County), Guerneville — Bank of Guerneville
This beautiful Beaux Arts Building was designed by Carl Ingomar Warnecke of the architectural firm Miller and Warnecke in 1921. The Bay Area firm designed residential work, apartment buildings, schools, commercial and civic structures. Mr. . . . — Map (db m99576) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — Barteldes, Hartig Building1906 — Lower Downtown Walking Tour
For more than a century, Denver's warehouse district has centered on Wynkoop. Stimulated by the arrival of the railroads in 1870 and the subsequent need for distribution services, an impressive array of three-to-five story warehouses, flat roofed . . . — Map (db m97395) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — Manny's Bridge
This bridge symbolizes the revitalization of lower downtown Denver in the late twentieth century and represents one of the many contributions made to our community by Emanuel "Manny" Salzman. After moving to LoDo in 1980, Manny and his wife, Joanne, . . . — Map (db m97412) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — Merchandise Mart1930 — Lower Downtown Walking Tour
Built in 1930-31 as a multi-tenant warehouse, 1863 Wazee Street is representative of the final building period in Lower Downtown until the boom of the 1980's. Architect Montana Fallis used the modernistic style to establish this building as Denver's . . . — Map (db m97348) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — Spratlen-Anderson Building1906 — Lower Downtown Walking Tour
On the original site of the Washington Hotel and Studebaker Buggy and Carriage House, this building was constructed in 1906 as a four-story warehouse for the Spratlen-Anderson Mercantile Co. Frank Edbrooke designed the original structure, as well as . . . — Map (db m97415) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — The Edbrooke Lofts
This site has been home to: 1880 • The Washington Hotel 1896 • Studebaker Buggy & Carriage Works 1902 • The Spratlen-Anderson Wholesale Grocery Company 1923 • Davis Brothers Drug Company 1957 • Lande Manufacturing 1990 • Edbrooke . . . — Map (db m97417) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — Windsor Farm Dairy Building / The Crocker Cracker Factory — Lower Downtown Walking Tour
Windsor Farm Dairy Building 1918 A building with a milky past, the Windsor Farm Dairy was built in 1918 for $30.000. A leading Denver architectural firm, Fisher & Fisher, designed this red brick structure with terra cotta . . . — Map (db m97358) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-203 — Poplar Hall
James Boulden the Elder and his family moved to Delaware from Maryland in the mid-18th century, amassing wealth and expanding their land ownership in Pencader Hundred as the century progressed. The two-story brick mansion house was built during this . . . — Map (db m94181) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-204 — The William Montgomery House
A Stone on the facade inscribed with the initials "I.M" and a date of "1789" suggests that construction of this dwelling occurred during the late 18th and early 19th centuries, a period of early industrialization in Delaware. Evidence of a stone . . . — Map (db m94239) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — 17 — Urban Renewal EraRoads to Diversity — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail
Front The charming Victorian rowhouses you see along 18th Street are an Adams Morgan signature. But they were nearly lost in the 1960s in the name of progress. During World War II, thousands flooded Washington to work for the . . . — Map (db m109112) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — DC8 — You are in the "Strivers' Section"Dupont Circle — Diverse Visions, One Neighborhood
FRONT Top right Police Call Boxes such as this one (originally painted blue) were installed in the District after the Civil War. Officers on foot patrol used this secure telegraph system to contact the station, accessing . . . — Map (db m109114) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Dupont Circle — 319 — Development in the neighborhoodDupont Circle — Diverse Visions/One Neighborhood
Development in the neighborhood got its first start in 1871 when the Board of Public Works, under the leadership of Alexander “Boss” Robey Sheperd, installed sewers, paved roads, extended gas pipes and planted trees here and . . . — Map (db m99347) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Dupont Circle — James G. Blaine MansionHistoric Site, Washington DC
2000 Massachusetts Avenue, NW Politician James G. Blaine (1830-1893), the three-time Republican presidential hopeful who represented Maine in the House and the Senate, built this house in 1881-82. Blaine and his family lived here only briefly . . . — Map (db m98315) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Dupont Circle — 14 — Rooms With a ViewRoads to Diversity — Adams-Morgan Heritage Trail
This hill, with its sweeping views of Washington and the Potomac, has tantalized visionaries since the 1800s. But few of their plans have been built. In 1873 businessman and city commissioner Thomas P. Morgan (whose name survives as part of . . . — Map (db m93415) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — 1667 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Georgetown Historic District 1667 Wisconsin Ave. NW National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m98981) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Herring Hill
Front: Herring Hill You are standing in the heart of a once thriving African American community. At the time of the American Revolution in 1776, one third of Georgetown's population was African American. By the time of the Civil . . . — Map (db m110018) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — History Preserved and Adapted
Georgetown began in the 1740s as a tobacco port, where ships departed for Britain, Europe and the West Indies filled with flour, lumber, coal, grain and, above all, tobacco. The fine harbor brought visitors and goods and, with them, prosperity and . . . — Map (db m98971) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — M Street - A Road Well Traveled
M Street has always been heavily traveled. In 1795 this prompted passage of the first local speeding law, making it illegal to gallop horses on M Street. Back in 1634, things were quieter. Then, Englishman Henry Fleet wrote of finding "deer, . . . — Map (db m97704) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Poulton HallBuilt 1947
The building commemorates Father Ferdinand Poulton, S.J. a founding member of the American Jesuit Community, who arrived in Maryland in 1638. The building was acquired under the College Building Program of the Federal Works Agency. North . . . — Map (db m110020) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Ross and Getty House
Ross and Getty House No. 1, c. 1810 Foundation for Preservation of Historic Georgetown Easement acquired October, 1975 Accepted, March, 1976, by National Trust for Historic Preservation Additional marker: 1210 30th Street, N.W. Andrew Ross . . . — Map (db m97705) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — St. John's Episcopal Church, Georgetown Parish
This first Episcopal congregation in Georgetown was founded in 1796 by the Reverent Walter Dulany Addison. Other founders and benefactors include Thomas Hyde, Thomas Corcoran, Benjamin Stoddert, and Francis Scott Key. President Thomas Jefferson . . . — Map (db m110021) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — The Georgetown Heights
Occupying the most prominent site on the Georgetown Heights overlooking Georgetown, the Potomac River and Virginia is the Georgetown Branch Library. The library houses the Peabody Room, an archive devoted to the history of Georgetown. The archive . . . — Map (db m101365) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Mount Vernon Square — Blanche K. Bruce House
. . . — Map (db m99178) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Sheridan-Kalorama — The Arts in Sheridan-KaloramaSheriden Kalorama Call Box Restoration Project
Writers, sculptors, painters, and collectors made Sheridan-Kalorama their home: best-selling mystery writer Mary Roberts Rinehart at 2419 Massachusetts; classicist Edith Hamilton at 2448 Massachusetts; poet/novelist Elinor Wylie at 2153 Florida; . . . — Map (db m99362) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — 4 — A Mixing BowlRiver Farms to Urban Towers — Southwest Heritage Trail
Front Al Jolson, star of the first "talking" movie, The Jazz Singer, grew up as Asa Yoelson at 713 4½ Street (once near this sign). The Yoelsons arrived from Lithuania in 1880. Asa's father Rabbi Moses Yoelson served as cantor . . . — Map (db m109105) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — 1 — Change on the WaterfrontRiver Farms to Urban Towers — Southwest Heritage Trail
Front You are standing in the heart of one of Washington, DC's oldest—and newest—neighborhoods. For 150 years Southwest Washington was a working waterfront community. Then urban renewal changed the landscape forever. Today . . . — Map (db m109108) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — 5 — Renewal and LossRiver Farms to Urban Towers — Southwest Heritage Trail
Front Directly across Fourth Street from this sign is the Capitol Park complex of high-rise and townhouse residences. Designed by Chloethiel Woodard Smith of Satterlee and Smith, the high-rise (now Potomac Place) opened in 1959 as the . . . — Map (db m109103) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — A Monumental LegacyNational Mall and Memorial Parks
The Washington Monument honors George Washington, hero of the American Revolution and first president of the United States. When this stunning stone obelisk was completed in 1884, it was the tallest building in the world. Today the monument towers . . . — Map (db m109324) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Washington: The MonumentNational Mall and Memorial Parks
The Washington Monument honors George Washington, hero of the American Revolution and the first president of the United States. When this stunning stone obelisk was completed in 1884, it was the tallest building in the world. Today the monument . . . — Map (db m109322) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Matheson House
Side 1: The Matheson homestead dates from 1857, when Alexander Matheson brought his family from Camden, South Carolina to establish a home on the Sweetwater Branch at the eastern edge of the new town of Gainesville. The present one and a . . . — Map (db m97622) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Merritt Island — F-575 — John H. Sams Homestead
The Sams family came to Brevard County from South Carolina in 1875 to take advantage of the 1860 Homestead Act. The family consisted of John Hanahan Sams, his wife Sarah, their five children, Johns brother William Sams, and his sister, Catherine . . . — Map (db m101410) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Rockledge — F-609 — Lawndale
This house is one of the last remaining examples of Queen Ann architecture in the area. The tall proportions, a variety of surface textures and the irregularity of plan are representative of this style. One of the most predominant characteristics is . . . — Map (db m102297) HM
Florida (Broward County), Fort Lauderdale — The Stranahan House
An excellent example of frontier Florida architecture, the Stranahan House was constructed in 1901 for Frank and Ivy Stranahan, two of this area's earliest residents. It sits on the site of Stranahan's Trading Post. Initially the structure was used . . . — Map (db m100541) HM
Florida (Citrus County), Floral City — The Historic Duval HouseConstructed 1865-66
This house is the oldest surviving residential structure in Citrus County. It was purchased in 2012 by the Duval Preservation Trust, a non-profit institution organized for the purpose of restoration and preservation of this historic gem. Tax . . . — Map (db m104980) HM
Florida (Flagler County), Palm Coast — F-950 — Levitt & I.T.T. "Del Mar" Model and Palm Coast Golf Club
The Levitt & International Telephone & Telegraph Corporation (I.T.T.) purchased 68,000 acres in 1969 for the development of a planned community. The site, named Palm Coast, offered numerous amenities, including a marina and golf course. Built in . . . — Map (db m103420) HM
Florida (Flagler County), Palm Coast — F-898 — Levitt & I.T.T. 'De Bary' Model
Levitt & International Telephone & Telegraph Corp. (ITT) developed 22,000 acres in Flagler County as part of the Palm Coast Project. Their goal was to construct the largest planned community in the nation. Full of scenic drives, golf courses, and a . . . — Map (db m100406) HM
Florida (Flagler County), Palm Coast — F-781 — Palm Coast, Florida
Palm Coast was begun in 1969 by the International Telephone & Telegraph (ITT) Corporation. The community was planned by William Levitt of Levitt & Sons, which ITT acquired in 1968. Levitt developed Levittown, NY, to provide affordable homes after . . . — Map (db m92371) HM
Florida (Flagler County), Palm Coast — F-530 — Princess Place Estate
In 1791, the King of Spain offered a 1,100-acre land grant to Francisco Pellicer. Henry Mason Cutting purchased the property in 1886, renaming it Cherokee Grove. Featuring local materials including tabby block cladding, cedar and palm tree trunk . . . — Map (db m101222) HM
Florida (Franklin County), Apalachicola — F-908 — The Hanserd-Fry House
Constructed ca. 1845, the Hanserd-Fry House is one of Apalachicola's finest examples of Palladian Greek Revival style architecture. The well-preserved house features a symmetrical porch with Tuscan classical columns typical of the Greek Revival . . . — Map (db m100891) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Hyde Park's Bungalow Terrace
Bungalow Terrace was developed by Alfred Swann and Eugene Holtsinger on what was Morrison Grove in 1913. The Bungalow Style home was modeled after the bungalows in California because of the low cost, adaptability, craftsmanship and low maintenance. . . . — Map (db m103198) HM
Florida (Lee County), Fort Myers — Edison Park School
Historic Edison Park School, a public elementary school, is one of the oldest in Southwest Florida. It has played a prominent role in the cultural as well as the educational life of this community. Started in 1926 and opened on March 30, 1927, it . . . — Map (db m101017) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — F-751 — 9th Avenue West Bridge
At this location over Wares Creek once stood one of the oldest concrete arch deck bridges in the State of Florida. Designed by noted local civil engineer Freeman H. Horton, the former 9th Avenue West bridge was constructed during World War II by the . . . — Map (db m100899) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Palmetto — The Plymouth
This historic property was the site of the Levi Jones homestead. The original house, constructed in 1900, is no longer standing, but had similar architectural details as the current structure. Jennie Jones Melman was born on this site August 23, . . . — Map (db m100923) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Whitfield — Whitfield Estates on Sarasota Bay
(side 1) The southern portion of Whitfield Estates was developed on land originally owned (1876-1912) by Fannie and General John Riggin Jr., an aide-de-camp of General Ulysses S. Grant during the Civil War. In 1924 a corporation led by . . . — Map (db m100919) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — F-765 — Eduardo H. Gato House
This house, with its elaborate Queen Anne style detailing, was built c. 1894 by E. H. Gato, Sr. (1847-1926). The Gato family was one of Key West's most prominent families, and three generations of the family lived here until 1951. Eduardo H. Gato . . . — Map (db m101296) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — F-904 — Atlantic Coastline Station
(side 1) In 1880, the South Florida Railroad built a railway through Orlando. The small community boomed with land speculators, citrus and cattle investors, and tourists. In 1902, the larger Atlantic Coastline Railroad acquired the South . . . — Map (db m100895) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Boca Raton — F-333 — Boca Raton Town Hall
Designed in the Mediterranean Revival style by the architect Addison C. Mizner and completed by the architect William E. Alysmeyer, the Boca Raton Town Hall opened in April 1927 as the city's first municipal building, fire station and police . . . — Map (db m94687) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Boca Raton — F-331 — F.E.C. Railway Depot, Boca Raton
(Side 1) The rails of Henry Flagler’s Florida East Coast Railway first reached Boca Raton in 1895 providing an essential link in the extension of the railroad system south to Miami and the Florida Keys, and fostering the tourism and . . . — Map (db m96926) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Delray Beach — F-665 — Del-Ida Park Historic District
Recorded in 1923, Del-Ida Park was one of Delray Beach’s earliest planned neighborhoods. Del-Ida Park’s unusual diagonal arrangement of streets, triangular lots, and public parks are unique when contrasted with the grid pattern layout of the . . . — Map (db m96970) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Delray Beach — F-661 — Nassau Park Historic District
Nassau Park, Delray Beach’s first locally designated historic district, spans two blocks along Nassau Street from South Ocean Boulevard to Venetian Drive. In 1935, a newspaper ad for Ray-Del Realty Co. described Nassau Park as “West Indian . . . — Map (db m96886) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Delray Beach — F-669 — Old School Square Historic District
Old School Square Historic District is named for its focal point, the Old School Square Complex at 51 North Swinton Avenue which is made up of the circa 1913 Vernacular style Delray School designed by J.M. Cromer, the city’s first separate high . . . — Map (db m96972) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Delray Beach — F-667 — West Settlers Historic District
Established in 1894, the West Settlers area is the site of the first African-American settlement in Delray Beach. African-Americans from the north and west Florida, Georgia and South Carolina were the first non-Native Americans in the area, laying . . . — Map (db m96807) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Delray Beach — F-668 — West Settlers Historic District
The West Settlers community, established in 1894 as Delray Beach’s first African-American community, was self-sufficient with commercial buildings and churches serving its residents. Originally N Blackmer Street, NW 5th Avenue was the hub of . . . — Map (db m96808) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), West Palm Beach — F-460 — Clematis Street Commercial Historic District
For over 100 years, Clematis Street(named after the Clematis flower has been the primary retail street in West Palm Beach. It was a shell-topped road in 1893, when Henry Flagler(1830-1913) began to develop West Palm Beach as the commercial district . . . — Map (db m94688) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), West Palm Beach — F390 — El Cid Neighborhood
In 1876, Benjamin Lanehart homesteaded land that is now the north end of El Cid. He started the first commercial pineapple operation in the area, and this fruit soon dominated the local agriculture. Soon afterward, Elizabeth Wilder Moore settled . . . — Map (db m96659) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), West Palm Beach — F-442 — Flamingo Park Historic District
There are 501 contributing structures within the Flamingo Park subdivision, which was officially platted on May 17, 1921, with more than 76 building permits issued in 1923. Built on the highest of all coastal ridges between downtown West Palm Beach . . . — Map (db m96692) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), West Palm Beach — F-509 — Grandview Heights Historic District
In response to the heavy influx of new residents into South Florida at the turn of the century and the introduction of the automobile, local developers and real estate agents purchased the less expensive land outside of the West Palm Beach downtown . . . — Map (db m96693) HM
Florida (Polk County), Lakeland — PCHC-019 — The Carpenters' Home
The Carpenters' Home was the retirement home for members of the United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America from 1929 to 1976. The Union completed the purchase of the 1,684 acre site in April 1924. Costing $632,393, the site included 594 . . . — Map (db m100435) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Anderson Cottage
By the year 1870, a widowed Clarissa Fairbanks Anderson had built on her property, known as “Markland,” a gable-roofed, frame “winter cottage” for guests. In 1885, her son, Dr. Andrew Anderson, Jr., sold part of the . . . — Map (db m100592) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Don Toledo/Gaspar Papy HouseSecond Spanish Colonial Period, Built 1803-1817
Following the typical model of Spanish Colonial site planning, this structure is situated on the street edge and features coquina stone construction with a protective stucco finish. The exposed fireplace is a reminder of another structure that was . . . — Map (db m108056) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Llambias HouseFirst Spanish Colonial Period, Built 1763, enlarged by 1788
This building is significant for its Spanish and British Colonial architectural influences and in 1954 became one of the first examples of a private residence to undergo a documented restoration. Characteristics of the "St. Augustine Plan" of . . . — Map (db m108073) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — F-911 — Nelmar Terrace Historic District
(side 1) The Nelmar Terrace area has been the site of portions of a Timucuan Indian village, a plantation under British Governor James Grant in the 1770s, and parcels of Spanish land grants after 1784. From 1844-1869 the area was the . . . — Map (db m100892) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — F-373 — Villa Zorayda(Zorayda Castle)
The Villa Zorayda was constructed in 1883 as the winter home of Franklin Smith, a Boston millionaire who was so impressed by the magnificence of the Alhambra Palace which he saw during a visit to Granada, Spain, that he decided to build his house as . . . — Map (db m102737) HM
Florida (Santa Rosa County), Bagdad — The Architecture of Bagdad
The historic buildings in Bagdad embody the village's history and cultural heritage, reflecting various periods of growth, and telling an important story about how the town was developed. The village boasts a wide variety of architectural styles . . . — Map (db m100315) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — Canova-Prince Murat HouseSecond Spanish Colonial Period, Built ca. 1815
Building patterns were influenced by the royal decree of 1573 to situate buildings and walls along the street edge for defensive purposes. The Prince Murat house is one of the remaining Spanish Colonial buildings and is significant for its . . . — Map (db m108318) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Ormond Beach — F-824 — The Casements
(side 1) Built in 1913 by Reverend Dr. Harwood Huntington, The Casements is named for its casement-style windows. Retired Standard Oil tycoon John D. Rockefeller, Sr. purchased it in 1918 as a winter residence, in hopes that it would . . . — Map (db m100926) HM
Florida (Wakulla County), Crawfordville — F-394 — Wakulla Springs Archaeological & Historic District
This location is significant as it represents relationships between human culture and natural resources from the settlement systems of the Paleoindian period to the recent historic past, a period of nearly 15,000 years. There are 55 recorded . . . — Map (db m101862) HM
Georgia (Atkinson County), Pearson — 002-1 — Atkinson Court House>>>----- >
Atkinson County was created by an act of the Georgia legislature in 1917, out of lands previously in Clinch and Coffee Counties. The county was organized Jan. 1, 1918. The first officers were J.W. Roberts, Ordinary; Wiley M. Sumner, Clerk . . . — Map (db m106274) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Cowles-Bond HouseRailroads, Planters and Widow Bond — Wilson's Raid Heritage Trail
This impressive home was already more than a quarter century old when Union Major General James Harrison Wilson occupied it in 1865. It is a masterpiece of one of Macon's most notable early master-builders, Alexander Elam who designed this house for . . . — Map (db m103212) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — R10 — Macon City HallGeorgia's Temporary Capitol Building — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
The building that houses Macon’s City Hall was constructed in 1837 as headquarters for the Monroe Railroad and Banking Company. In 1845, the Greek Revival temple-style building was converted into Macon’s first “fire-proof” cotton . . . — Map (db m99439) HM
Georgia (Bulloch County), Statesboro — Harville House
Samuel’s son, Keebler Henry Harville, purchased the property and built the Harville House as a one-story house around 1894. The second story was added ten years later resulting in a total of 14 rooms to accommodate a growing family. The vernacular . . . — Map (db m106950) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 25-48 — Jepson House Education Center
This Italianate mansion was built in 1856 for Savannah grocer and Civil War mayor Thomas Holcombe and later owned by former Confederate officer and Superior Court Judge Robert Falligant and his descendants. The Oglethorpe Light Infantry, commanded . . . — Map (db m108969) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Alpharetta — Spence House
Farmers Bascom and Oma Spence purchased this 19th century farmhouse in 1918. Their families had lived in North Fulton and Forsyth Counties since the 1840s. The house sits on tree trunks cut on the property. Two wings were later added and the most . . . — Map (db m109126) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — Swan House
Swan House was completed in 1928 for Mr. and Mrs. Edward Hamilton Inman, heirs to a cotton-brokerage fortune. Named for the swan motif found throughout the interior, the house was designed by architect Philip Trammell Shutze (1890–1982), of . . . — Map (db m108769) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 2 — Allenbrook
circa 1840, built of handmade brick. Originally home and office of the Lauren Woolen Mill; Near Allenbrook is historic site of Laurel Woolen Mill (burned by Sherman’s Forces); Lovers Rock, popular antebellum picnic spot. — Map (db m108987) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Brantley-Newton House1919
Built for D.H. Bradley by noted Atlanta architect Neel Reid, a Roswell resident from 1917-1926. The home exhibits Reid’s sense of scale and proportion. A later occupant was Charles Newton, a teacher at Roswell High School for 28 years and the . . . — Map (db m109193) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 7 — Bulloch Hall"A Founders Home"
Major James Stephen Bulloch Greek Revival, circa 1840 — Map (db m109394) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — C.J. Perry Housecirca 1880
Home of Charles Jefferson Perry who organized the Citizens Bank of Roswell and developed the north Roswell business district along present-day Canton Street in the late 19th Century. — Map (db m109118) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Holly Hillcirca 1845
Greek Revival raised-cottage-style home of Savannah cotton broker Robert Adams Lewis. His wife was Catharine Barrington, as niece of town founder Roswell King. A later resident was noted author Evelyn Hanna, whose 1938 novel Blackberry Winter . . . — Map (db m109119) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Miss Sallie’s Placecirca 1893
Two sisters, Miss Sallie Kimball and Mrs. V.L. Williams lived in this house which operated as the first boarding house in Roswell for a period of time. It had six bedrooms, each with a coal burning fireplace. Visiting ministers were welcome to come . . . — Map (db m109213) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Naylor Hallcirca 1840
Built by Barrington King for Roswell Manufacturing Company textile mills manager H.W. Proudfoot. The columned portico and porte-cochere were added and the house enlarged in the 1920s by Harrison Broadwell. The house is named for his mother’s family. — Map (db m109009) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Primrose Cottage1839
Primrose Cottage was the first permanent residence constructed in Roswell. Built for Eliza King Hand, a daughter of town founder Roswell King, the home features a hand-turned fence executed by an English craftsman. The house was designed by . . . — Map (db m109142) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — The Fowler Housecirca 1830
Originally constructed by a Cherokee Indian as a one room cottage with a fireplace. It was enlarged and the front entrance turned to face Canton Street in the early 1900s. The house was occupied for many years by Mr. & Mrs. Charles C. Fowler, . . . — Map (db m109212) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 6 — W.J. Dolvin House
Victorian Architecture President Jimmy Carter Roswell White House — Map (db m109173) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — Welcome to St. Simons Light!
The Lighthouse and Keeper's Dwelling were completed in 1872, replacing the Lighthouse destroyed during the Civil War. Orlando Poe, chief engineer for the U.S. Lighthouse Board, supervised the design. Charles Cluskey, the architect of many . . . — Map (db m106303) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Buford — Chesser-Williams House
One of the oldest surviving homes in Gwinnett County, this house was built in the 1850s. The house was originally two rooms wide and one room deep. This style is referred to as an I-house. The house is unique because of the beautiful, hand painted . . . — Map (db m107606) HM
Georgia (Hancock County), Sparta — Glen Mary "The Temple on the Hill"Built Circa 1848
Confederate Colonel Theophilus Jackson Smith built Glen Mary as a gift to his wife, Mary Salome Gonder. The estate would become a major cotton producer in Middle Georgia before the Civil War. The house is considered by many as the finest Greek . . . — Map (db m106811) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — Early Public Forum
Common among the counties during the settlement period, Morgan County (1807) first transacted public business at a private residence - Fields Kennedy's home. After Madison was designated as the county seat in 1808 until the construction of a formal . . . — Map (db m109716) HM
Georgia (Muscogee County), Columbus — Bricks & Clay Products — Heritage Park
For millions of years, the Chattahoochee River flooded its banks, dropped its silt, and created vast deposits of clay. Because of this accumulation of clay, brick making began south of Phenix City at least as early as 1940. The Bickerstaff family . . . — Map (db m101353) HM
Georgia (Troup County), LaGrange — Horace King   1807-1885
Born a slave, Horace King became a master builder who constructed covered bridges over every large river between western Georgia and eastern Mississippi. King gained his freedom in 1846 through the Alabama legislature with the aid of his master, . . . — Map (db m103136) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — Warm Springs Avenue
The Warm Springs Avenue neighborhood began to emerge in the 1890’s, soon after Kelly Hot Springs, for which the street was named, was tapped to provide water for Boise’s fire hydrants. The prominent owners of the water line built their mansions on . . . — Map (db m109839) HM
Idaho (Bear Lake County), Paris — 386 — Paris Tabernacle
Designed by one of Brigham Young's sons, this imposing Romanesque tabernacle was built between 1884 an 1889 by skilled local craftsmen. Swiss stone masons cut and carved red sandstone that horse and ox teams hauled from a canyon 18 miles . . . — Map (db m105848) HM
Idaho (Franklin County), Franklin — Lorenzo Hill Hatch & John Doney Houses
These two buildings are examples of the types of houses that were built in Franklin and other Mormon communities from the 1860s to the 1880s. Typically early Franklin dwellings were simple cabins with a central hall, as the residents prospered they . . . — Map (db m105695) HM
Idaho (Nez Perce County), Lewiston — The Early Years in Nez Perce County
The discovery of gold in September 1860 flooded the region with thousands of treasure seekers, who were a civil and criminal law unto themselves. On December 20, 1861, the Washington Territorial Legislature responded, creating Nez Perce County . . . — Map (db m109908) HM
Idaho (Teton County), Driggs — Fordson Tractor
The Fordson could pull discs and plows that would require at least four mules to pull, and it could work all day. Provided the radiator was continually filled, the fuel replenished, and the water in the air filter take changed. On dry days, mud . . . — Map (db m108454) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — The Morton Building / Hotel Blake
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of The Interior — Map (db m102576) HM
Illinois (Logan County), Lincoln — Lincoln Public Library
The Lincoln Public Library is a fine example of public neo-classical construction. This W.A. Otis structure was completed in 1903. A stained glass dome and oak woodwork highlight the interior. Major benefactors were Steven Foley who guided its . . . — Map (db m105969) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — The Canal House
In 1852 John Brown, a stonemason, built this last remaining vestige of the early canal era in FortWayne.

A native of Glasgow, Scotland, Brown came by canal boat to Allen County in 1847 with his wife Mary. He and his Scottish business partner, . . . — Map (db m100141) HM

Indiana (Scott County), Scottsburg — Scott County's Carnegie Library
Side A Scott County Board of Commissioners appointed a library board 1917 in response to citizen petitions for a public library. Library board sought Carnegie grant for funding assistance. locally $7,500 was raised; Carnegie grant of $12,500 . . . — Map (db m99459) HM
Kansas (Linn County), Mound City — Warzel BungalowCirca 1915

Relocated from across the street in 1983 The original owner, Mr. Gus Warzel and Mr. Ernest Schultz built an electric plant across street to east in 1915. The blocks used to form the porch are made of cement poured into forms and were . . . — Map (db m93384) HM

Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 1524 — Old State House
Kentucky's third capitol on this site was built in 1827-29 of Kentucky River marble. The two previous capitols were destroyed by fire. Gideon Shryock of Lexington, one of the state's most distinguished architects, designed the building which . . . — Map (db m100990) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — 2166 — Chateauesque Architecture / Gilded Age Mansions
Chateauesque Architecture Alongside the impressive examples of Romanesque, Victorian Gothic, Italianate, Queen Anne, Beaux Arts and Eclectic styles found in Old Louisville is Chateauesque, a rare French-inspired design exemplified by steep-pitched . . . — Map (db m104872) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — 2426 — Conrad-Caldwell House
Conrad-Caldwell House Theophilus Conrad, tannery owner, built this home 1893-95. Designed by Clarke & Loomis architects in Richardsonian Romanesque style. After Conrad’s death in 1905, the house was sold to William Caldwell, maker of wooden and . . . — Map (db m104875) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — D.X. Murphy & Bro., Architects — Bourbon District Historic Site 429 west
Louisville architect Dennis Xavier Murphy inherited a thriving architectural firm from Henry Whitestone and solidified it as a preeminent de firm in the growing city. The firm was well-known for its design of the Galt House Hotel; the grandstand . . . — Map (db m104372) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — Louisville Water Works
Louisville Water Works Corner Stone of Engine House Laid September 6, 1858 Water Supplied to the City October 16, 1860 A. Harris, President D.S. Benedict · J.S. Lithgow · B.J. Adams · William Inman Directors T.R. Scowden, Chief . . . — Map (db m104118) HM
Kentucky (Scott County), Georgetown — 2021 — Payne-Desha House / Joseph Desha (1768-1842)
Payne-Desha House Built ca. 1814-15 by Robert Payne, a veteran of Battle of the Thames in War of 1812. Former Kentucky Governor Joseph Desha bought the Federal-style stone house in 1841. In late 19th century, Italianate alterations to exterior . . . — Map (db m91634) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Bunkie — White's Chapel United Methodist Church
Gothic Revival church built in 1894 by Hugh and Lee Evans on land donated by Wilson A. O'Quin, Sr. It was named in honor of Rev. Frederick White who organized it in 1870. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m107478) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Bailey Theaterc. 1916
Movie theater built in the Arts and Crafts style by the Mayer family. First known as the "Palace Theater". Home to "silent" movies and later "speaking" films until about 1975. High school commencements were held here prior to 1927. — Map (db m98270) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Dupuis-Mims Homec. 1921
Arts and Crafts style home built by Forest Dupuis, merchant and undertaker. Located on the grounds were a mortuary, "filling station", dance hall, and garages to house a horse-drawn hearse and family vehicle. — Map (db m97845) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Lewis P. Roy, Sr. Buildingc. 1900
Victorian mercantile store built by Lewis P. Roy, Sr. Restored in 1984-85 by attorneys Tucker Melancon and Rodney Rabalais and certified public accountants Aloysia C. Ducote and Van P. Major. — Map (db m103699) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — St. Joseph Catholic Church
Founded by Rev. Fr. Jules Janeau in 1869 with worship in a Gothic frame Church. Replaced in 1926 by Msgr. Henry Van de Putten with this Romanesque structure designed by W. T. Nolan. — Map (db m98023) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Caddo Parish Courthouse
Third Courthouse to occupy site since 1860. First Courthouse on site served as Louisiana's Confederate Statehouse during Civil War. Present Courthouse designed by Neild & Somdal architectural firm. Built 1926-28. Served as model for numerous other . . . — Map (db m109764) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Shreve Square
100 block of Texas. Preserved block of early Shreveport commercial buildings, most dating from between 1860 and 1900. Excellent examples of 1880s-1890s cast iron found on many. Texas Street Bridge, which bisects block, was dedicated October, 1933 by . . . — Map (db m109741) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Beauregard TownEstablished in 1806
Beauregard Town founder Elias Toutant Beauregard was a retired military officer from New Orleans who became fascinated by neighborhood development. After buying a large parcel of land in Baton Rouge, Beauregard envisioned a community that would . . . — Map (db m98527) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Louisiana's Old State CapitolNorth Boulevard at Lafayette
Its architectural style has been both celebrated and criticized, but there's no disputing Louisiana's Old State Capitol is one of the nation's most distinct public buildings. Renowned architect James Dakin chose the building's Gothic Revival design. . . . — Map (db m96602) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Spanish TownEstablished In 1805
Founded in 1805, Spanish Town is Baton Rouge's oldest neighborhood having the oldest architectural history in the area. The surviving buildings represent popular styles from a period of Louisiana's history. Spanish settlers from the Canary . . . — Map (db m97968) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — The Old Governor's MansionLouisiana's White House
The stately Old Governor's Mansion was commissioned in 1929 by Governor Huey P. Long in a style that deliberately mimicked the White House. It replaced a simple frame structure on roughly the same property and served as official residence until . . . — Map (db m98053) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — The State CapitolThe Stories Within
Dedicated in 1932, the Louisiana State Capitol was commissioned by Governor Huey P. Long and was meant to symbolize the state's progress and modernity. At 34 stories, it is the highest state capitol in America and its Art Deco-inspired lines, . . . — Map (db m96604) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Clinton — Clinton Courthouse
This courthouse, built in 1840, is one of the architectural treasures of the state. The present building replaced a wooden courthouse that dated from 1825-26, which was burned in March, 1839. This is one of the oldest courthouses in Louisiana which . . . — Map (db m92418) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Clinton — Lawyers' Row
Constructed ca. 1840-1865. Outstanding group of early 19th century Classical style offices. Early occupants were noted for their contributions to the political and judicial history of the area and the state. (plaque) Alexander Stirling . . . — Map (db m92419) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Jackson — Centenary State Historic Site"The Professor's Cottage"
The Professor's Cottage was built in 1898 and rented to a professor and his family for about $125 per year. It was one of the faculty houses owned by the college, which included another cottage that was identical to it located approximately 40 . . . — Map (db m108618) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Iberia Courthouse BuildingCirca 1940
Iberia Parish, created in 1868, conducted the business of government in rented space until 1884 with the building of the first permanent courthouse at present day Bouligny Plaza on Main Street. With the help of Public Works Administration funds, . . . — Map (db m99724) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Jefferson Island
Once known as Orange Island purchased after the Civil War by Joseph Jefferson (1829 to 1905), world famous actor and artist. Home designed and built about 1870. — Map (db m105148) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Sugar Cane Festival and Fair BuildingCirca 1951
This building, dedicated in 1951, was constructed with funds provided by the State of Louisiana. Designed by noted architect Owen J. Southwell, this local landmark, with its sugar cane mill inspired exterior and classic European Renaissance themed . . . — Map (db m99928) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Veterans Memorial BuildingCirca 1949
This building was built on property purchased from Dr. Andrew Emmer by the Iberia Parish Police Jury in 1948 during the period of patriotism following World War II. Designed by noted Louisiana architect A. Town Hays and constructed in 1949, the . . . — Map (db m100171) HM WM
Louisiana (Lafayette Parish), Lafayette — Gordon Square
On this site in the year of 1904 the first hotel was opened in Lafayette as the Gordon Hotel. It was housed in this building and operated as a hotel through the 1950's. This building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. . . . — Map (db m91821) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Christ Church Cathedral(Episcopal)
This congregation was founded in 1805, the first Episcopal church established in the former Spanish colony after the Louisiana Purchase. In its first service was held in the Cabildo on November 17, 1805. An octagonal Gothic church designed by . . . — Map (db m104918) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — St. Alphonsus Church
The first of three great churches built by The Redemptorists for Catholics in the Irish Channel. St. Alphonsus for the Irish, St. Mary's Assumption for the Germans and Notre Dame de bon Secours for the French. Design by Baltimore architect Louis . . . — Map (db m105018) HM
Louisiana (Saint Bernard Parish), Chalmette — The Malus-Beauregard HouseJean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve
The first owner of the Malus-Beauregard House was Madeleine Pannetier Malus, a widow who purchased land from the St. Amand brothers when they divided the Chalmet plantation into small tracts in 1832. Malus built a French Colonial house in 1833 or . . . — Map (db m97135) HM
Louisiana (Saint Landry Parish), Opelousas — Jarrell Homecirca 1898
The expansion of the Teche Federal Bank on Landry Street in Opelousas led to the relocation of the Jarrell Home to Le Vieux Village

The history of the house dates back to 1898 when it was the property of Dr. Vincent Boagni, a noted Opelousas . . . — Map (db m107988) HM

Louisiana (Saint Landry Parish), Opelousas — Whiteville School Housecirca 1911
This building is typical of a two-room country schoolhouse. It was built at a time when horse drawn carriages transported children to school. The school's original location was the northern St. Landry Parish community of Whiteville.

Generally, . . . — Map (db m108008) HM

Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Covington — The Covington Bank and Trust BuildingCirca 1885
Probably the most significant economic development, not only for Covington but for the parish as a whole, was the establishment of the bank. The Covington Bank & Trust was established in these original quarters. It is the oldest commercial building . . . — Map (db m100622) HM
Louisiana (West Feliciana Parish), St. Francisville — Audubon Memorial
Oakley Plantation, 3 miles east, where John James Audubon painted 32 of his "Birds of America." It was built in 1799 by Ruffin Gray and acquired as a state park in 1947 from Miss Lucy Mathews. — Map (db m85574) HM
Louisiana (West Feliciana Parish), St. Francisville — Propinquity1809
Spanish Colonial Architecture built on site of original Spanish land grant acquired by William Williams in January 1795. PrivateMap (db m109937) HM
Maine (Hancock County), Seal Harbor — Carriage Roads - The Gate Lodges
“The construction of these two lodges marks a step well considered in the development of the (carriage road) system and… marks a step in development of the whole island and for the Park, since such beautiful structures just at its . . . — Map (db m102504) HM
Maine (York County), Kittery — Historic Rice Public LibraryArabella Rice, youngest of four daughters born to Capt. Robert Rice and wife Charlotte, died 1872
Rice Public Library opened on 5 November 1888. The institution’s first trustees included former New Hampshire Gov. Ichabod Goodwin, who was married to Arabella’s cousin Sarah Parker Rice. Their mansion is one of the celebrated landmarks of . . . — Map (db m107005) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 800-810 Cathedral Street Row Houses
This structure has been recorded by the Historic American Buildings Survey of the United States Department of the Interior for its archives at the Library of Congress. — Map (db m101625) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — A Neighborhood Goes to MarketLexington Market
Between 1820 and 1945, Baltimore grew from a small port city to a commercial and industrial center of both regional and national importance. Anchored by Lexington Marker this neighborhood still reflects that period of growth. During the 19th and . . . — Map (db m103244) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Building a City and a Nation: At the CrossroadsMount Vernon Cultural Walk
Twice in the 20th century, Baltimoreans completely reinvented their downtown-by necessity in the early 1900s and by plan mid-century.

In 1904, Baltimore’s downtown vanished when 140 acres were destroyed by fire. Within ten years, Baltimore had . . . — Map (db m103262) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — Caulkers' Houses
In the early 1780s Ann Bond Fell Giles laid out for development the area called Fell's Point, just south of the existing Fell's Prospect community. Development was in part to provide housing needed to meet the demands of the growing maritime . . . — Map (db m109369) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Creating an American Culture: The Golden Age of BaltimoreMount Vernon Cultural Walk
During the early 19th century, Baltimore became, for a brief time, America’s second largest and fastest growing city. Baltimore led the world in shipbuilding, sail-cloth production, and flour milling. On Cathedral Hill, Baltimore’s business leaders . . . — Map (db m107314) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Discover Baltimore’s Changing SkylineHeritage Walk
Baltimore’s central business district has constantly reinvented itself in response to changes in building technologies, business practices, and architectural styles. Originally, detached houses that doubled as shops and offices lined the streets. . . . — Map (db m103260) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Faust Brothers Building
When constructed in 1870, the Faust Brothers Building incorporated the latest innovations in building construction methods and materials. The building’s intricate front and rear facades, composed entirely in cast iron, were once common in downtown . . . — Map (db m101784) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Perkins Square Gazebo
The Perkins Square Gazebo harkens back to the grandeur of Baltimore’s 19th century architectural and landscape heritage. In 1871, the gazebo was built as a spring shelter, the centerpiece for a new park. The land for the park was once part of . . . — Map (db m101927) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — St. James Court
This property St. James Court 1312, 1314, 1316 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m101627) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The LenoreBaltimore Branch of the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond
Rising ten stories in the heart of the city’s judiciary district, the Lenore not only exhibits impressive architecture but is also linked to the nation’s banking history. Now an apartment building, the Lenore was once home to the Baltimore Branch . . . — Map (db m101527) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Grantsville — Yoder House
The Yoder House is being built to preserve and share the Yoder story. The House of Yoder, nonprofit, tax exempt corporation was formed and construction followed ground breaking on October 21, 1995. Work progressed as donated funds and labor became . . . — Map (db m98537) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — Chestnut/Meem Historic District
Designated November 17, 1997 By the City of Gaithersburg Historic District Commission Martha Meem's 200 Acres, part of the 1793 Zoar Land Grant, was further subdivided as Meem's subdivision in 1896. The district preserves late 19th and 20th . . . — Map (db m101847) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — DNC Building2013
This current building, developed by Inter-Continental Group (owned by the Blessing Family), stands on a site that has been a part of Gaithersburg's mercantile history since before 1894. This 2-story building was built circa 1915 by JL Burns and . . . — Map (db m101669) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — The Thomas CanneryGaithersburg Maryland
Historical Background of the Canning Industry: In 1812, Thomas Kensett introduced the canning process to America with a small plant in New York, which canned oysters, meats, fruits, and vegetables. However, historians generally agree that . . . — Map (db m101861) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — Wells-Robertson HouseBuilt: 1885
The Wells-Robertson House is sited on land that was once part of the 1723 land grant known as Deer Park. William R. Hutton, a well-known engineer, and his heirs began dividing and selling the land during the last half of the nineteenth century. In . . . — Map (db m101668) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Silver Spring — A panorama of five connected buildings...National Park Seminary
National Park Seminary was a resort hotel from 1887 to 1893, a school for young women from 1894 to 1942, and a U.S. Army medical facility from 1942 to 2004. It is now a unique residential community. A panorama of five connected buildings . . . — Map (db m109820) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Silver Spring — Hotel guests and seminary students...National Park Seminary
National Park Seminary was a resort hotel from 1887 to 1893, a school for young women from 1894 to 1942, and a U.S. Army medical facility from 1942 to 2004. It is now a unique residential community. Hotel guests and seminary students arrived . . . — Map (db m109821) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Silver Spring — Seminary students belonged to sororities...National Park Seminary
National Park Seminary was a resort hotel from 1887 to 1893, a school for young women from 1894 to 1942, and a U.S. Army medical facility from 1942 to 2004. It is now a unique residential community. Seminary students belonged to sororities . . . — Map (db m109822) HM

752 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 552
Paid Advertisement