Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Women Historical Markers

3269 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 3069
 
Marietta Johnson Marker image, Touch for more information
By Sandra Hughes, January 17, 2019
Marietta Johnson Marker
Alabama (Baldwin County), Fairhope — Marietta Johnson
Marietta Johnson, world leader of the Progressive Education Movement founded the School of Organic Education in 1907. The school, which demonstrated her philosophy, attracted intellectuals and artists. Her work is a reminder of Fairhope’s . . . — Map (db m128888) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Women's Veterans MemorialAlabama State Veterans Memorial Cemetery
Dedicated to all women veterans who have served, sacrificed and suffered for our nation. Your patriotism and courage are greatly appreciated and will never be forgotten. [Seals of the U.S. Army, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps & . . . — Map (db m100943) WM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Summerdale — Sonora Community / Sonora School and Community Hall
Sonora Community The community of Sonora was named in 1901 by the wife of the first postmaster, G.L. Sharretts. Situated near Red Hill Ford on Baker Branch and the intersection of travel routes between Silverhill, Magnolia Springs, Marlow . . . — Map (db m130878) HM
Alabama (Blount County), Blountsville — Exploit of Murphree SistersIncident of May 1, 1863 during Streight (USA) -Forrest (CSA) Campaign.
Three prowling Union soldiers invaded home of sister-in-law of Celia and Winnie Mae Murphree taking food, drink; killing two colts. When soldiers fell asleep, these two young girls took rifles, marched soldiers to headquarters of General . . . — Map (db m83226) HM
Alabama (Chilton County), Marbury — Memorial Hall1904 – 1924
On this site stood "Memorial Hall," the two story, log and shingle administrative and social center of the Alabama Confederate Soldiers' Home. Construction was partially financed by individuals from across the state who purchased "Memorial Logs" for . . . — Map (db m129410) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — At This Well
Annie Sullivan Macy revealed the mystery of language to seven year old Helen Keller by spelling the word W-A-T-E-R into her hand as water flowed over the other hand — Map (db m106094) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — Ivy GreenBirthplace of Helen Keller
The Family Home of Captain Arthur M. & Kate Adams Keller was built 1820, being the second house erected in Tuscumbia. Here on June 27, 1880 was born America's First Lady of Courage Helen Adams Keller — Map (db m29089) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Selma — Honoring: Amelia Boynton Robinson - Marie Foster
The Selma-Montgomery March "Bloody Sunday", March 7, 1965 Mothers of the Civil Rights Movement Before and Beyond the Bridge Didn't Let Nothing Turn Them Around! Presented by The Evelyn Gibson Lowery . . . — Map (db m111691) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Selma — White - Force Cottage
This Italianate style cottage was built in 1859 by C. B. and Martha Todd White. Mrs. White, half sister of Mrs. Abraham Lincoln, was an outspoken Southern patriot, who subjected the Lincolns to severe criticism, when the Northern press accused her . . . — Map (db m38274) HM
Alabama (Etowah County), Gadsden — Colonel Hood House
This stately Classic Revival house, built c. 1904, was the residence of Colonel Oliver Roland Hood (1867-1951), eminent Gadsden attorney and civic leader. Colonel Hood was one of the three incorporators of Alabama Power Company in 1906 and author of . . . — Map (db m83732) HM
Alabama (Etowah County), Gadsden — Emma SansomMay 2, 1863
Here girl heroine led Forrest’s (CSA) men across Black Creek on way to capture Streight’s (USA) raiders. This saved the railroad supplying Confederate Army of Tennessee. — Map (db m39131) HM
Alabama (Etowah County), Gadsden — Emma Sansom
Here on the morning of May 2, 1863 Emma Sansom braved the fire of Colonel Streight’s sharpshooters as she guided General Nathan Bedford Forrest and his gallant cavalrymen to the ford at this spot where they crossed Black Creek, at that time a raging . . . — Map (db m39340) HM
Alabama (Etowah County), Gadsden — Emma Sansom Monument
In memory of the Gadsden Alabama girl heroine Emma Sansom, who when the bridge across Black Creek had been burned by the enemy, mounted behind Gen. Forest and showed him a ford where his command crossed. He pursued and captured that enemy and . . . — Map (db m12297) HM
Alabama (Etowah County), Gadsden — Sisters Missionary Servants Of The Most Blessed Trinity
On January 25, 1925 the Sisters acquired the 25 - bed Gadsden General Hospital on Chestnut Street and renamed it Holy Name of Jesus Hospital. The Hospital grew under the leadership of the Founders, Father Thomas A. Judge, C. M. and Mother Mary . . . — Map (db m39141) HM
Alabama (Geneva County), Geneva — Emma Knox Kenan LibraryFounded 1904
Mrs. Emma Knox Kenan established the library at the request of school superintendent W.W. Benson in a small cloak room of the Geneva School. The library was financed by subscriptions, book rentals and fund raisers. The property where the library now . . . — Map (db m131869) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Carrie A. Tuggle1858 - 1924
In Tribute to Carrie A. Tuggle 1858 - 1924 Scholar, Teacher and Christian. A life of unselfish service to the troubled and the homeless black boys and girls. In 1903, she founded a school and orphanage, the Tuggle . . . — Map (db m27391) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Dr. Ruth J. Jackson1898 - 1982
Dedicated to Dr. Ruth J. Jackson 1898-1982 This woman of strength and vision graduated from the Poro School of Cosmetology, the first black registered school in the State of Alabama. At the vanguard of the Civil Rights Movement, she was . . . — Map (db m27090) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Pauline Bray Fletcher1878 - 1970
In Tribute to Pauline Bray Fletcher 1878 - 1970 The First Black Registered Nurse of Alabama Through self-sacrifice, perseverance founded in 1926 Camp Pauline Bray Fletcher. Renewing the faith and the good health of all black . . . — Map (db m27393) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Walker Memorial Church
In 1818 before Alabama, Jefferson County, Elyton or Birmingham existed, The Elyton Methodist Church was established on Center Street. It was moved to 14 Second Avenue, and in 1909, to its present site. Renamed in 1910 for Corilla Porter Walker . . . — Map (db m24348) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Ellen Dorrit HoffleitCity of Florence Walk of Honor
Dr. Ellen D. Hoffleit, celebrated worldwide for her many contributions to astronomy, discovered more than 1,200 variable stars. She authored Yale Bright Star Catalogue which is used in almost every astronomical observatory in the world. . . . — Map (db m99381) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Lin Dunn
Serving as head coach in women's collegiate basketball, 1970-1996, Lin Dunn became a 17-year coach in the Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA) and was inducted into the WNBA Hall of Fame in 2014.

Inducted 2018 City of . . . — Map (db m138779) HM

Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Locust Dell Academy1834~1843
On this site Nicholas Marcellus Hentz conducted a girls' school. Native of Metz, France, Hentz was a painter, entomologist, author, and was once a professor at University of North Alabama. Experimenting with silkworms, he planted groves of mulberry . . . — Map (db m84029) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Lynn Middleton SibleyCity of Florence Walk of Honor
Devoting her career to reducing childbirth mortality among women and newborns across the world, Lynn Sibley developed a 21st century community-based model for maternal and newborn health in low-resource countries. — Map (db m84031) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Natalie ChaninCity of Florence Walk of Honor
Beginning in the year 2000, the Cooper-Hewitt Design Museum in New York and the National Textile Museum in Washington, among others have honored the fabric and clothing designs of internationally known Natalie Chanin. — Map (db m99376) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Rogersville — Bettie Anne Highway
The home-place of Bettie Anne Springer-Thornton lies 1.6 miles north on the east side of Lauderdale County Road 51. This home was originally a one-room log cabin, built between 1892 and 1894 by Levi Patrick Thornton. Two rooms and a dog-trot were . . . — Map (db m141966) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Waterloo — Edith Newman CulverMemorial Museum — 1872~1995 —
The Newman House was restored and presented in 1995 to the citizens of Waterloo by Ezra Lee Culver, as a memorial to his wife, Edith Elizabeth Newman Culver. Built in 1872 by Hiram L. and Julia Ann Young Richardson. This house was purchased in . . . — Map (db m29276) HM
Alabama (Lawrence County), Courtland — Harris-Simpson Home
Side A This circa 1820 house is thought to be one of the oldest houses in Courtland. Occupying a lot platted by the Courtland Land Company in 1818, the house faces North toward what was once the main Tuscumbia Road. Dr. Jack Shackelford . . . — Map (db m84306) HM
Alabama (Lawrence County), Hillsboro — Home of Annie Wheeler
Born July 31, 1868 ~ Died April 10, 1955 Daughter of General Joseph Wheeler Gallantly served her country three times on foreign soil. Volunteer nurse, Santiago, Cuba~1898. Spanish~American War and Manila, P.I. ~1899 during Philippine . . . — Map (db m29558) HM
Alabama (Lawrence County), Moulton — Anne Newport Royall
Born 11 June 1769, in Maryland and married 18 Nov 1797, Anne Royall became a wealthy widow upon her Revolutionary War Veteran husband's death in 1813. However, her husband's family filed an ultimately successful suit for his estate. While she waited . . . — Map (db m84309) HM
Alabama (Lowndes County), Lowndesboro — Viola Liuzzo
In memory of our sister Viola Liuzzo who gave her life in the struggle for the right to vote... March 25, 1965 Presented by SCLC/WOMEN Evelyn G. Lowery, National Convener - 1991 - The Southern Christian Leadership Conference Joseph E. . . . — Map (db m85461) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Notasulga — Birthplace of Zora Neale HurstonNotasulga, Alabama — Zora Neale Hurston (1891-1960) —
Side 1 Celebrated author Zora Neale Hurston was born in Notasulga on January 7, 1891. Her parents, John Hurston and Lucy Potts met here, at the Macedonia Baptist Church. but moved to Eatonville, Florida where Zora grew up. Through . . . — Map (db m95110) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee — 10 — Rosa Parks — The Tuskegee Civil Rights and Historic Trail —
Rosa Louise McCauley Parks (1913 – 2005) was an iconic activist during the mid twentieth century civil rights movement. Born in Tuskegee, Parks later moved with her mother to Pine Level located near Montgomery, Alabama. She was encouraged by . . . — Map (db m134670) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — 1 — Amelia Boynton Robinson — The Tuskegee Civil Rights and Historic Trail —
Amelia Boynton Robinson (1911 2015) was a voting rights activist and civil rights icon. Born on August 18, 1911, in Savannah, Georgia, she received her bachelor's degree in home economics from Tuskegee University in 1927. In 1934, Mrs. Boynton . . . — Map (db m139890) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — 6 — Jessie Parkhurst Guzman — The Tuskegee Civil Rights and Historic Trail —
Jessie Parkhurst Guzman (1898-1996) was born in Savannah, Georgia, educated at Howard University (BA, 1919) and Columbia University (MA, 1924), and worked at Tuskegee University for over forty years. During Guzman's time at Tuskegee University, she . . . — Map (db m139885) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — 3 — The Tuskegee Institute Advancement League — The Tuskegee Civil Rights and Historic Trail —
The Tuskegee Institute Advancement League (TIAL) was a student-based organization started in 1963 and reorganized in 1965 during the school integration crises. It originally sought to gain a measure of academic freedom through input with the . . . — Map (db m139886) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — White Hall1910
Named in honor of Alexander Moss White of Brooklyn, New York, with funds donated by his children. This structure opened fall 1909. The building was officially dedicated in January 1910 was a dormitory for women. A bronze tower with clock was added . . . — Map (db m101906) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Howard Weeden Home
Built 1819 by H. C. Bradford, this home was later owned by John Read, John McKinley, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court (1837-1852), Bartley M. Lowe, M. C. Betts and Marie Howard Weeden (1846-1905) whose poetry and paintings preserve nineteenth . . . — Map (db m27841) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Tallulah Bankhead / I. Schiffman Building1902-1968 / Birthplace of Tallulah Bankhead — Alabama’s Best-Known Actress —
Side A Tallulah Bankhead was the toast of the London theatre in the 1920's, and nationally renowned for her dramatic roles in “The Little Foxes” (1939), “The Skin of Our Teeth” (1942), the movie . . . — Map (db m27850) HM
Alabama (Marengo County), Demopolis — The Demopolis Opera House / Lillian Hellman AndThe Little Foxes
The Demopolis Opera House In 1876, the town of Demopolis leased the former Presbyterian Church, a classic brick structure built in 1843 and occupied by federal troops during Reconstruction, to the Demopolis Opera Association. The . . . — Map (db m38009) HM
Alabama (Marshall County), Grant — Kate Duncan Smith - Daughters of the American Revolution School
(Side A) In 1924, the Alabama Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) established Kate Duncan Smith School to provide a patriotic education dedicated to academic achievement and service to "God, Home, and Country" for . . . — Map (db m33308) HM
Alabama (Marshall County), Guntersville — John Gunter
. . . — Map (db m33306) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — 10 — Christian Benevolent Funeral Home
Mrs. Pearl Johnson Madison was one of the early African-American women to own a funeral home in the state of Alabama in 1928. The funeral home and burial association served the African-American community when white mortuaries would not. Today, the . . . — Map (db m111310) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — The Convent of Mercy
On this site in 1884 the Sisters of Mercy established the Convent of Mercy. In 1908 the front building, the convent, was constructed and in 1927 the adjacent school building was occupied by pupils attending Convent of Mercy Academy. The school . . . — Map (db m86584) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Vivian Malone JonesJuly 15, 1942 - October 13, 2005
Side 1 On May 30, 1965, Vivian Malone, became the first African-American to graduate from the University of Alabama. To achieve admission at the all-White university, she was forced to confront then Governor, George C. Wallace, in what has . . . — Map (db m111392) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Aurelia Eliscera Shines BrowderCivil Rights Pioneer
Side 1 Aurelia Eliscera Shines Browder was born January 29, 1919, in Montgomery, Alabama. She graduated with honors in 1956 from Alabama State Teachers College (now Alabama State University). In April 1955, Browder's refusal to give up . . . — Map (db m71349) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Georgia GilmoreFebruary 5, 1920 - March 3, 1990
Georgia Gilmore, cited as a “solid energetic boycott participant and supporter.” Lived in this house during the days of the Montgomery Bus Boycott. Once arrested on a bus, Gilmore was ardent in her efforts to raise funds for the Movement . . . — Map (db m28197) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Here Stood Mrs. Rosa ParksMother of the Civil Rights Movement
Commemorating the centennial Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated Here stood Mrs. Rosa Parks Mother of the Civil Rights Movement and honorary member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. where she boarded the Montgomery . . . — Map (db m85986) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Juliette Hampton Morgan / Montgomery City-County Public Library
(side 1) Juliette Hampton Morgan Juliette Hampton Morgan was a white Montgomery, Alabama librarian whose privileged upbringing seemed unlikely to produce the determined civil rights activist that she became. Her letters to the . . . — Map (db m71258) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Ladies Memorial Association
To the Ladies Memorial Association formed in this auditorium April 1866 for the purpose of ministering to the living Confederate soldier and to keep in remembrance his high principles and heroic deeds. . . . — Map (db m71277) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Lower Dexter Park
History Happened Here The City of Montgomery built this public park on one of the lots occupied by the Montgomery Fair Department Store. Rosa Parks was an assistant to the tailor for Montgomery Fair. On December 1, 1955, Mrs. Parks . . . — Map (db m121435) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Rosa Louise McCauley Parks / The Bus Stop
Side A A Lady of Courage Born in Tuskegee, AL on February 4, 1913, to James McCauley, a carpenter, and Leona Edwards, a teacher. Moved with mother and brother to Pine Level, AL after parents' separation. Enrolled in Mrs. White's School . . . — Map (db m36503) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Rosa Louise ParksShe sat down - So we can stand up — February 4, 1913 - October 24, 2005 —
Mother of the modern day civil rights movement — Map (db m91278) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Rosa Parks Branch Library / Bertha Pleasant Williams
Side 1 Rosa Parks Branch Library Second public library for blacks in City of Montgomery, this building opened in 1960 as Montgomery Branch Library on Cleveland Avenue. Designed by architect James Miller Davis, it served the black . . . — Map (db m71388) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Rosa Parks Montgomery Bus Boycott / Hank Williams Alabama Troubadour
Side A At the bus stop on this site on December 1, 1955, Mrs. Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat to boarding whites. This brought about her arrest, conviction, and fine. The Boycott began December 5, the day of Parks’ trial, as a . . . — Map (db m86422) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Rosa Parks Statue
Rosa M. Parks (1913-2005) was arrested on a Montgomery bus December 1, 1955 for refusing to relinquish her seat to a white passenger. Her arrest, which happened 2 blocks west on Montgomery Street, sparked the 381-day Montgomery Bus Boycott, which . . . — Map (db m143325) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — The Jackson-Community House/The Montgomery City Federation of Women’s Clubs
(side 1) The Jackson-Community House In 1853, Jefferson Franklin Jackson, a native Alabamian and U.S. Attorney for the Alabama Middle District, built this two-story clapboard home originally with a dogtrot pattern. A Whig Party . . . — Map (db m71236) HM
Alabama (Morgan County), Decatur — Carolyn Cortner SmithFemale Architect Pioneer / Designed Delano Park Structures
(Front): Born in 1894 in Normandy, Tennessee, Carolyn Cortner was raised in the Courtland area of Lawrence County, Alabama. She attended Ward-Belmont College in Tennessee. She married Wilburn Smith in 1912. She did not attend formal . . . — Map (db m27814) HM
Alabama (Perry County), Marion — The Marion Female Seminary
One of the earliest colleges for women in America. Founded in 1835, was the first of four colleges established in Marion,“The Athens of Alabama.” This building, erected in 1850, contained the art studio of Nicola Marschall, who . . . — Map (db m70068) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Troy — Janice Hawkins Park"An excellent wife is the crown of her husband."Proverbs 12:4 —
Janice Hawkins Park was named in honor of the First Lady of Troy University, a devoted wife and loving mother, whose work benefited Troy in the fine arts, service to students, internationalization of the University, and support of military veterans. . . . — Map (db m111581) HM
Alabama (Randolph County), Roanoke — Roanoke Doll Factory1900-1925
Ella Gannt Smith, artist, inventor, manufactured in this building the famous Roanoke Dolls. The dolls, completely handmade, featured a head molded of plaster of Paris enclosed in a tight cotton fabric cut and stuffed to resemble body, hands and . . . — Map (db m11730) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Phenix City — "Emperor" Brims, Mary Musgrove and Chief William McIntosh — Creek Heritage Trail —
Coweta was the home of many influential Creek leaders, including three individuals who figured prominently in the history of the Creek people; "Emperor” Brims, Mary Musgrove, Chief William McIntosh. The Coweta chieftain Brims, who . . . — Map (db m101336) HM
Alabama (Talladega County), Talladega — The Joiner Family
The distinguished Joiner family lived here in an imposing mansion, demolished in 1970. James H. Joiner: Pioneer in Talladega's progress while publisher, 1844-73, of one of Alabama's most influential newspapers - The Democratic Watchtower. . . . — Map (db m37220) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Alabama Central Female College
After the seat of government was moved to Montgomery in 1847, the Tuscaloosa Capitol and its furnishings were deeded to the University of Alabama to be used for educational purposes. In 1857, the University Board of Trustees leased the building . . . — Map (db m29064) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Amelia Gayle Gorgas1826-1913
Daughter of John Gayle, Governor of Alabama. Wife of Josiah Gorgas, Brigadier General, C. S. A. Mother of William Crawford Gorgas, Surgeon General, U. S. A. Untiring nurse in Confederate Hospitals, 1861-1865. First Historian Alabama Division, . . . — Map (db m33653) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Autherine Lucy Foster
First African American to enroll at the University of Alabama following successful litigation under the historic 1954 Brown v. Board of Education ruling. She began classes on February 3, 1956; however, after three days of tumultuous demonstrations, . . . — Map (db m108342) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Kappa Delta
Zeta Chapter of Kappa Delta first national Greek letter sorority at the University of Alabama Chapter installed March 12, 1904. First members initiated in the Sigma Nu Hall by Katherine Lovejoy of Theta Chapter at Randolph-Macon Woman's College. . . . — Map (db m28782) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Malone Hood Plaza
The Autherine Lucy Clock Tower is dedicated to the sacrifice and commitment of a courageous individual who took a stand for change at a crucial time in the history of The University of Alabama. The open arches, which mirror the architecture of . . . — Map (db m37918) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Margaret M. DuPont
Margaret McLeod DuPont was born and raised in Tuscaloosa and graduated from the University of Alabama with a degree in Home Economics Education. She worked as a secretary for the Vice President of Reichhold Chemical and as a Stenographer for Mayor . . . — Map (db m35380) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — The Friedman Home
Built 1835 by Alfred Battle; purchased 1875 by Bernard Friedman; willed to the city of Tuscaloosa 1965 by Hugo Friedman. Traditionally a social and cultural center in Tuscaloosa, it was the residence of Virginia Tunstall Clay-Clopton, author of . . . — Map (db m35368) HM
Alabama (Wilcox County), Camden — Wilcox Female Institute
Incorporated 1850 by James A. Tait, L. W. Mason, Joseph George and Associates Original Trustees: Col. J. C. Jones, Joseph George, Maj. M. M. Bonham, D. W. Sterrett, Col. C. C. Sellers, Dr. M. Reid, J. W. Bridges, Dr. Robert Irvin, and Maj. F. . . . — Map (db m68156) HM
Alaska (Ketchikan Gateway Borough), Ketchikan — 20 Creek StreetCirca 1920
Beatrice Greene; the last working woman For half a century, this house, like so many on the Creek, was part of Ketchikan’s notorious red light district where both fish and men came upstream to spawn… the fish once, many of the men . . . — Map (db m112041) HM
Alaska (Ketchikan Gateway Borough), Ketchikan — Dolly's HouseCirca 1905
Dolly Arthur… one of the Creek’s longest “working” residents This house was the home of Dolly Arthur, Ketchikan’s most famous “sporting woman.” From 1919 through the 1940s, it was also her place of business. . . . — Map (db m112038) HM
Alaska (Skagway Borough), Skagway — Mollie Walsh1872-1902
Mollie was a resourceful and independent young woman with a wanderlust and love of frontiers. In 1890, she left home at 18 for Butte, Montana where she spent seven years. Landing in Skagway in 1897, Mollie became popular as a waitress and member of . . . — Map (db m72786) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 17 — Bertha Wahl Shooting
In 1899, 14 year old Bertha Wahl was murdered here by a shepherd. Just south of here was the original Becker Store. Beyond lie the graves of the Becker family. Due west stood Henry Springer's Mercantile. — Map (db m36647) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 28 — Madonna of the Trail
This 10 foot high, 5 ton statue cast by St. Louis sculptor August Leimbach is one of 12 identical monuments to the bold spirit of the pioneers erected in 1928-29 along the National Old Trails Road from Maryland to California. — Map (db m36380) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Sierra Vista — Carmichael House/Sierra Vista Realty301 North Garden Avenue — Built in 1927 —
The Carmichael House was built by William and Margaret Ziegan Carmichael on 131.05 acres. On December 11, 1911, Margaret, a single woman at the time, purchased the property from John and Ellen Reilly for $8,000. As the years passed, the Carmichael . . . — Map (db m27894) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Tombstone — 41 — HoptownChinese Section — 1879 —
In 1879 there were 11 people in Tombstone of Chinese descent. By 1882 there were 250. The area between 2nd and 3rd and Allen and Toughnut was the area where they lived and had businesses, commonly called "Hoptown". The Chinese ran laundries, . . . — Map (db m131096) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Willcox — Erickson Family CemeterySacred To the Memory of These Pioneers
They came when only the brave dared come: They stayed where only the valiant could stay. Born in Sweden. Americans by choice - not by accident of birth, they loved their adopted country and served her well. Neil Served five years in the . . . — Map (db m28368) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Willcox — The Willcox Women's Community Center
Was constructed by P. Howard Pregenzer and crew In Memory of P. Howard Pregenzer 1894-1980 Resident of Willcox, Arizona 1927-1980 Construction began in 1934 and completed in 1936 Construction sponsored by the City of Willcox, . . . — Map (db m28415) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Walnut Canyon National Monument — A Days Work
Puebloan traditions reach far back in time and are the basis for the social organization portrayed here. What responsibilities might you have had in this community, given your age and gender? [Photo captions read] Hopi men plant and tend . . . — Map (db m61350) HM
Arizona (Graham County), Safford — Womans Club of SaffordDedicated - 1937
National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m61512) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Glendale Woman's Club ClubhouseBuilt 1913
This property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior Listed July 7, 1989 In 1901, a small group of pioneer women organized the Self Culture Club of Glendale with the . . . — Map (db m30478) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Arizonan Women Airforce Service Pilots – WASP
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes Arizonan Women Airforce Service Pilots – WASP 1942 — 1944 “We live in the wind and sand … and our eyes are on the stars!” The . . . — Map (db m102898) HM WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Mesa Woman's Club House
On March 9, 1917, fifty-three women, inspired by Margaret Wheeler Ross, past president, 1914-1916, of the General Federation of Women's Clubs of Arizona, chartered the "Woman's Club of Mesa". Since 1901, Federated Women's Clubs, an international . . . — Map (db m27554) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Peoria — GFWC Peoria Woman's Club
In 1919, this building was constructed as a meeting place for the General Federation of Women's Clubs – Peoria Woman's Club. Originally located at the northwest corner of 83rd Avenue and Washington Street, the Clubhouse was restored and . . . — Map (db m30401) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — 344 — Arizona's Pioneer Women
Before 1875 hundreds of heroic women came to Arizona from the East and South. From this group came Arizona's first schoolteachers and the publisher of the first newspaper. In 1876 a group of pioneer women and their families came from the north, . . . — Map (db m27385) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Tempe — Farmer - Goodwin MansionHistoric Site
Begun in 1885, this adobe house was completed in February 1886 by Hiram Bradford Farmer. Professor Farmer was the first principal and sole instructor of the newly founded Territorial Normal School, now Arizona State University. Unofficially the . . . — Map (db m27560) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Tempe — Hayden HouseConstructed 1874
Tempe founder Charles Trumbull Hayden built a house of willow poles on this site in 1871 and erected an adobe home, store, and blacksmith shop during the next two years. He married Sallie Davis in Visalia, California, and brought her here in 1876. . . . — Map (db m27585) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Fredonia — 995 Miles of Wire — Pipe Spring National Monument —
A long line of juniper poles — like the one you see here — set 70 yards apart ended Pipe Spring’s isolation. From 1871 on, telegraph wire connected the ranch first to Utah and then to the outside world. By 1880 Mormon settlements from . . . — Map (db m149370) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Fort Apache — Girls' Dormitory (120)
During the first decade of the Theodore Roosevelt School, girls were housed in the old fort hospital. Since the old barracks that housed the boys was inadequate, a new boys' dormitory was scheduled for construction in 1931. Before that construction . . . — Map (db m36878) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Taylor — Daughters of the Utah PioneersJane Hatch Camp dedicated in 1932
Construction began in 1930 by Jane Hatch, Lizzie Willis and Emma Kartchner. The building was neglected for several years and in the early 1950's seven couples agreed to save the home, which became the clubhouse for the 20-30 Club. On November 2, . . . — Map (db m36695) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Convent Street
Named in 1869 for the convent located adjacent to San Augustín Cathedral. When the seven Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet finally arrived in 1870, they opened the city’s first parochial school for girls next to San Augustín. Three years later . . . — Map (db m69563) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Convent Street
Named in 1869 for the convent located adjacent to San Augustín Cathedral. When the seven Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet finally arrived in 1870, they opened the city’s first parochial school for girls next to San Augustín. Three years later . . . — Map (db m69589) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Convent Street
Named in 1869 for the convent located adjacent to San Augustín Cathedral. When the seven Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet finally arrived in 1870, they opened the city’s first parochial school for girls next to San Augustín. Three years later . . . — Map (db m69812) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Infantry Barracks / Laundresses' Quarters
The infantry barracks (no longer in existence) were 75 feet north of the hospital. The one-story building, like all of the barracks at Fort Lowell, had walls 20 inches thick, a dirt roof, and a wooden porch. The barracks were 20 feet wide and 145 . . . — Map (db m100689) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — The Stork's Nest
The Sanborn Fire Maps for the City of Tucson first recorded this building in 1883 as an adobe dwelling with an attached ramada. Between 1901 and 1930 additions were made to the main building and construction was completed on the outbuilding behind . . . — Map (db m83244) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Casa Grande — Women's Club of Casa Grande
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m33694) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Emma Monk Guild House
Emma Monk came to Arizona Territory to teach school at Fort Thomas in the 1880s. She married William Guild in 1887 and taught school in Florence off and on from 1885 to 1897 and was the first Florence principal. She also taught in Red Rock, Casa . . . — Map (db m68337) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Florence Woman's Club
The Florence Woman's Club was organized in 1897. In 1929, architects Lescher & Mahoney designed this Spanish Colonial Revival Style clubhouse. The original light fixtures are suspended from the ceiling, and an ornate Spanish-style fireplace is . . . — Map (db m26746) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Sacaton — Honoring Native American Women Veterans
Honoring Native American Women Veterans Dedicated February 22, 2003 American Legion Post 84 Sacaton, AZ Sculptor: Oscar Urrea Artist: Jim Covarrubias — Map (db m32844) WM
Arizona (Santa Cruz County), Patagonia — Cady HallPatagonia Hotel — Historic Site —
John H. Cady came to Arizona as a soldier in the 1860's and was stationed at Fort Crittenden on Sonoita Creek. Later Cady became a resident of Patagonia and in December of 1900 began building the Patagonia Hotel. He continued to add to the structure . . . — Map (db m24300) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Dewey — Historic Site of Orchard RanchHome of Sharlot Mabridth Hall — (1870-1943) —
In 1890 James and Adeline Hall purchased 130 acres here above the junction of the Agua Fria River and Lynx Creek. The Halls named their homestead "Orchard Ranch" and, with the help of their children, Sharlot and Ted, produced apples and beef. . . . — Map (db m33059) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — Jennie's Place
This building was originally a brothel known as Jennie's Place. It was built in 1898 by Legendary Madam Belgian Jennie Bauters, who came to Jerome from Belgium in 1896. This was her third building on this site. The first burned down in 1897. . . . — Map (db m33152) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — Laura Williams Memorial Park
Laura Williams owned the antique museum which housed numerous artifacts from Jerome. Laura was one of the founding members of the Jerome Historical Society and served as the Secretary/Treasurer from 1953-1974. She was an employee of Newmont . . . — Map (db m33189) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Grace M. Sparkes1893 – 1963
There was a time when progress in Yavapai County was spelled S-P-A-R-K-E-S. Grace M. Sparkes came to Prescott, Arizona Territory, at the age of 14 in 1906. By 1911, she was working for the Yavapai County Chamber of Commerce as Secretary, a job she . . . — Map (db m33137) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — Women in World War II

During the war more than 300,000 women would join the armed forces, many helping to free men to fight on the battlefronts. They served in both the European and Pacific Theaters of Operation as clerks, radio operators, mechanics, ferry pilots, . . . — Map (db m91956) HM

Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Margaret E. Woolfolk LibraryErected 2001 — Courthouse Square Walking Trail —
Woolfolk is author of The History of Marion and History of Crittenden County, an award-winning newspaper editor, graduated from Memphis State Law School in 1985 at the age of 68, entered into private practice, and served as Marion . . . — Map (db m116783) HM
Arkansas (Ouachita County), Camden — To Our Confederate Women1861 - 1865
To the Confederate women Whose pious ministration To our wounded soldiers, Soothed the last hours of those Who died far from the objects Of their tenderest love; Whose domestic labors Contributed much to supply The wants of . . . — Map (db m106934) HM WM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — "We shall never be the same"
The Civil War changed the lives of Southern women in ways they could not have imagined. They lived with anxiety, fear and loneliness. As the war ground on, many felt an increasing sense of desperation and depression. The lives they had known were . . . — Map (db m107998) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — Sacred Heart Academy
In 1858 a boarding school and convent was established on this site in the former residence of Col. Henry L. Biscoe by four Sisters of Mercy who came from Ireland with Bishop Andrew Byrne. The school was in the middle of heavy fighting during the . . . — Map (db m51905) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — St. Catherine AcademyA Roman Catholic School on the Frontier
This was the site of St. Catherine Convent and Academy. When it opened in 1858, it was one of two Roman Catholic schools in Arkansas. Opportunities for a classical education were rare in Arkansas and the school founded by the Sisters of Mercy . . . — Map (db m108055) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — To The Confederate Women of Arkansas1861-1865
”Whose pious ministrations to our wounded soldiers soothed the last hours of those who died for the object of their tenderest love; whose domestic labors contributed much to supply the wants of our defenders in the field; whose jealous faith . . . — Map (db m128513) WM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Miss Laura's
. . . — Map (db m57923) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — The Women’s Jail, 1872-1888
After the U.S. Army closed Fort Smith in 1871, the guardhouse served the Federal Court for the Western District of Arkansas. It remained in use as a jail, detaining primarily women suspected or convicted of federal crimes until 1888. At that time, . . . — Map (db m58128) HM
Arkansas (Union County), El Dorado — El Dorado Female Institute
Bennett. G. Clark and Sarah W. Clark deeded this land to William Rust, John H. Cornish, John R. Hampton, and William H. Hines, trustees of El Dorado Female Institute, in 1847. May 7, 1858 Albert Rust deeded additional land to Robert Goodwin. . . . — Map (db m121358) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Site of Presentation High School and ConventA City of Berkeley Landmark
From 1877 to 1988 the Sisters of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary operated Berkeley's first convent and parochial school on this block. The land was donated by Berkeley pioneer James McGee. The grounds included a garden and grotto . . . — Map (db m137043) HM
California (Alameda County), Dublin — Dobbel Family
Margaret Tehan Dobbel, the granddaughter of Jeremiah and Ellen Fallon. She was born in Jeremiah Fallon’s home, Dublin, 1874. She married Julius Dobbel and had 13 children. They raised cattle and sheep at Rice, Camel, Dougherty and Donlon Ranches. — Map (db m26822) HM
California (Alameda County), Dublin — Flanagan Family
John & Katherine Donlon Flanagan from Longford, Ireland came to Dublin in 1868. In 1896 John was blinded, but continued to raise sheep and farm with the help of his wife and 3 girls, Eva, Katherine (Murphy), and Elizabeth (Nevin), who was a teacher . . . — Map (db m26785) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — NR07000507 — William J. Paugh House
The William J. Paugh House, also known as Rosewall, is a very pure example of a Gothic Revival House. The style was most popular during the 1840's and 1850's. It was built in the late 1850's by Charles L. Parish, artist, architect and builder. . . . — Map (db m28067) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Provis Park
In memory of Miss Minnie Provis who faithfully served as City Clerk for the City of Sutter Creek from 1913 to 1965 under the leadership of 16 mayors Dedicated 1975 — Map (db m106335) HM
California (Butte County), Chico — The Historic Home of Annie and John BidwellA House With a Style
Completed in 1868, the home featured many surprisingly modern conveniences including running water, flush toilets, an acetylene gas lighting system, eight fireplaces, and wall-to-wall carpeting. The pink stucco mansion was designed by San Francisco . . . — Map (db m29644) HM
California (Calaveras County), Copperopolis — Madame Josephine Felix
Josephine Felix arrived from France in 1852, one of the first settlers in Salt Spring Valley. Soon widowed, she established a waystation at the junction of the Angels and Central Ferry Roads. She wed neighbor Alban Hettick and the couple developed a . . . — Map (db m58929) HM
California (Calaveras County), West Point — 253 — Sandy Gulch
This site, in 1849, was a trading center for pioneer miners of Northwestern Calaveras County. It was named after the gulch where William and Dan Carsner found large nuggets imbedded in the course sand. Water for mining was brought from the Middle . . . — Map (db m11975) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Antioch — The Cannery Lady
In the early 19th century many canneries operated throughout California. The rich agricultural and fishing areas of east Contra Costa County hosted a number of canneries and packing sheds. The picturesque Antioch waterfront was home to two canneries . . . — Map (db m18292) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Antioch — The Woman's Club of Antioch
Eleven women founded the Woman's Club of Antioch in February, 1902. They pledged to "improve and beautify the town, to do any business which shall promote the educational, industrial, benevolent, social or political welfare of its members or the . . . — Map (db m93605) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Richmond — 1032 — Richmond Shipyards
During the World War II Home Front effort, the Richmond Shipyards were an immense facility covering 880 acres. Constructed for the Henry J. Kaiser Company in 1941 and 1942, these shipyards became the largest in the world. New methods of ship . . . — Map (db m146451) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Richmond — Rosie the Riveter MemorialHonoring American Women's Labor During WWII
The area where you are now standing was alive with activity during World War II, when it was known as Kaiser Shipyard #2. It was one of four shipyards carved from Richmond's coastline to serve the war effort. The Rosie the Riveter Memorial . . . — Map (db m94433) HM WM
California (Contra Costa County), Richmond — Women's Westside Improvement Club
Established July 7, 1908, for the purpose of improving the quality of life in Point Richmond, the Women's Westside Improvement Club is responsible for the original Indian statue fountain, a reading room that became the Westside Branch Library, this . . . — Map (db m94711) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — 163 — Women's Club of Walnut Creek ClubhouseLincoln Avenue at Carmel Drive — 1937 —
Two blocks east is the clubhouse of the Women's Club - the town's first service club, founded in 1911. Among the Club's accomplishments, the group secured the Carnegie Library Foundation grant for the 1916 library. The Women's Club sold its . . . — Map (db m93811) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Monroe Family Homestead
The home of the pioneer Monroe family stood here for more than a century. The family matriarch, Nancy Gooch, came across the plains from Missouri as a slave in 1849. She gained her freedom in 1850 when California joined the Union as a . . . — Map (db m17455) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Monroe House
Perly Monroe was the grandson of Peter and Nancy Gooch, who were freed from slavery here when California became a state in 1850. The Monroe family became successful fruit farmers and prominent property holders in Coloma. Built in 1925, this house is . . . — Map (db m17205) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Emigrant Jane
Drove a band of horses across the plains and from the proceeds of their sale she erected this building in 1861. — Map (db m13272) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — The Old Vet’s Building
In 1852 Phillip L. Platt preempted a ½ quarter section here. He erected a log building for the lodging of miners. He named his hotel The Kossuth House. Dr. Platt died in 1853. His widow sold the property to Anna W. Clark for $200 in 1856. She . . . — Map (db m13165) HM
California (Fresno County), Coalinga — Coalinga Woman’s ClubZenith Hall
January 1905, Mrs. Anria Kerr invited ten lay friends to meet at her home to form the “Coalinga Ladies Improvement Club.” Their goal was to “promote harmony and improve social and civic needs.” In 1907 they joined the General . . . — Map (db m64020) HM
California (Fresno County), Kingsburg — Fred French
On the night of November 2, 1916, Fred French, while performing his duties of deputy night watchman for the community of Kingsburg, encountered Lew Cowan behaving in a drunken and disorderly manner in the pool hall. Cowan and French engaged in a . . . — Map (db m95379) HM
California (Humboldt County), Arcata — Camp Curtis1862-1865
In Memory of

Co. E & I 2nd. California Volunteer Infantry 1862 - 1863

Co. B 1st. Battalion Mountaineers California Volunteers 1863 - 1864

Co. A. 1st Battalion Native California Volunteer Calvary 1864 and

Marie Brizard . . . — Map (db m32567) HM

California (Humboldt County), Scotia — Wi'ne'ma Theatre"Women of the Braveheart"
The Wi'ne'ma Theatre was built in 1919 and named for a young Indian girl who devoted her life to establishing friendly relations between her people, the Modoc Indians, and the white men. The first performance was on November 20, 1920 and tells . . . — Map (db m142815) HM
California (Humboldt County), Weott — Laura Perrott Mahan & James P. MahanPioneers in the Save-the-Redwoods League
Laura Perrott Mahan 1867-1937 James P. Mahan 1867-1937 • Pioneers in the Save-the-Redwoods League • The California State Park Commission has dedicated to their memory this site where on Nov.19.1924, Mr. and Mrs. Mahan discovered that logging had . . . — Map (db m150292) HM
California (Imperial County), El Centro — Women's 10,000 Club
Established and organized in 1908 as the Men Club to promote the city of El Centro, their first goal was for El Centro to reach a population of 10,000 residents. On October 30, 1908 the women took over the club and renamed it the Women's 10,000 . . . — Map (db m101569) HM
California (Inyo County), Independence — 229 — Mary Austin’s Home1868 - 1934
“But if ever you come beyond the borders as far as the town that lies in a hill dimple at the foot of Kearsarge, never leave it until you have knocked on the door of the brown house under the willow-tree at the end of the village street, and . . . — Map (db m2955) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — 14 — Jewett FamilyKern County Pioneers
This area was originally a portion of the Jewett Brothers’ Ranches. In 1859 Solomon and Philo Jewett walked 2000 miles to present day Kern County. They built the first store in Bakersfield in 1865 and the same year raised the first commercial cotton . . . — Map (db m24989) HM
California (Kern County), Cantil — Florence "Pancho" Barnes
Florence Leontine Lowe was born July 29, 1901 in Pasadena. Through an arranged marriage in 1921, she became the wife of a minister, Rankin Barnes. She ended her relationship with him a few years after bearing a son, Billy. Florence acquired the . . . — Map (db m51666) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — Jackie Cochran"F-104 Starfighter Record Setter"
During her extraordinary 40-year flying career, aviation pioneer Jacqueline "Jackie" Cochran established more speed, altitude and distance records than any other pilot, male or female, in aviation history. While flying a USAF F-86A Sabre here at . . . — Map (db m115116) HM
California (Kern County), Mojave — 93 — Josephine Stephens Bishop
"Josie" was born on June 18, 1875 in Silver City, New Mexico to Harvey and Harriet Whitehall. At 19 years old, she taught school in Pinos Altos, New Mexico. She married Herbert Hall Bishop on March 4, 1896, bearing him seven children. The Bishops . . . — Map (db m78560) HM
California (Kern County), Piute Springs — Piute Ranch Homesite of Elizabeth "Lizzie" McGuirkScobie, Shipsey, Kersey — 1860 - 1932 —
Came to territory by covered wagon in 1865 Settled here in 1876 Owned and operated Gwynne Gold Mine, store hotel and stage station cattle rancher, Indian agent Postmistress — Map (db m83310) HM
California (Lake County), Upper Lake — Bank of Upper Lake
Built in 1921 by J.A. Youngreen, the Bank of Upper Lake was a tribute to the prosperity of the area. This was a farming center with extensive cattle and sheep production. The Blue Lake bean developed here by Adolphus Mendenhall became the foundation . . . — Map (db m140004) HM
California (Lassen County), Norvell — Nancy Ann Allen
Nancy Ann Alien was born November 14, 1832, in Gentry County, Missouri. Her parents were Robert and Marian (Crawford) Ready, natives of Kentucky where they were married in 1826. Nancy was the oldest of four children. Her sister Elenor, "Elen", . . . — Map (db m148180) HM
California (Lassen County), Norvell — Nancy Ann Allen GraveNobles' Emigrant Trail
Many hundreds of Overland Trail emigrants died while crossing the continent during the great westward expansion of the mid-Nineteenth Century. Most of these emigrants were buried in unmarked graves beside the trails, and have been lost to history. . . . — Map (db m148181) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Beverly Hills — Virginia Robinson GardensCounty of Los Angeles Department of Parks and Recreation
United States Department of the Interior National Register of Historic Places. Beverly Hills Local Landmark Constructed in 1911Map (db m148656) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Chatsworth — 133 — Minnie Hill Palmer HouseHomestead Acre
Cottage built by the Hill family in 1911. Last homestead acre in the Valley. — Map (db m144408) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Echo Park — Aimee Semple McPhersonThe Lotus of Echo Park Lake
Aimee Semple McPherson (1890-1944) founded the international Church of the Foursquare Gospel and was a well-known figure in Los Angeles. After her founding of the Angelus Temple in 1923, the population of the Echo Park neighborhood greatly . . . — Map (db m122445) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Lancaster — Antelope Valley Indian Museum[State Historic Park]
Site of ancient Indian villages. It was built in 1928 by H.A.Edwards. It was purchased and enlarged, 1938-1941, by Grace Oliver. The museum opened in 1941. — Map (db m150148) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 12 — Hollyhock HouseUNESCO World Heritage Site
The Hollyhock House as part of The 20th-century architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright has been inscribed on the World Heritage List Inscription on this List confirms that this property deserves protection for the benefit of all . . . — Map (db m145728) HM
California (Los Angeles County), North Hollywood — Amelia Earhart
First woman aviator to fly the Atlantic Ocean. Lost at sea, 1937 during around-the-world flight. — Map (db m116360) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — An Unforgettable Day1999 U.S. Women’s World Cup Team
On July 10, 1999, the U.S. women’s soccer team secured a win for the ages at the Rose Bowl. On a sweltering day before a sellout crowd of 90,185 — the largest ever to watch a women’s-only event — the U.S. posted a 5-4 shootout . . . — Map (db m136525) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — Anna Lee Fisher - Astronaut — Los Angeles Maritime Museum —
San Pedro’s First Woman in Space Aboard Space Shuttle Discovery Nov. 8, 1984 Presented by an Admiring Community Dec. 11, 1984 — Map (db m52529) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Monica — “Trees of Santa Monica”
To honor George T. Hastings, author of “Trees of Santa Monica,” October 10, 1963—his 88th birthday—in appreciation of his dedication in sharing his knowledge and love of trees, flowers and birds. To honor Grace L. . . . — Map (db m130429) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Monica — Olympiad Rose Bush
Commemorates the XXIII Olympiad and marathons run through Santa Monica, August 5, 1984 and August 12, 1984, including the first women’s marathon in Olympiad history. — Map (db m119673) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Sylmar — Rim of the Valley TrailMarge Feinberg — Saddletree Ranch Trailhead —
Marge Feinberg’s 1974 Master’s Thesis envisioning a wilderness trail encircling the San Fernando, La Crescenta and Simi Valleys and adjacent mountain ranges led to a California law establishing the Rim of the Valley Trail Corridor in the Santa . . . — Map (db m139166) HM
California (Marin County), Novato — Burdell Frame House
This two-story, clapboard structure, known as the Burdell Frame House, was built in 1874 for Mary Burdell’s cousin, Mary Joynsen. Originally a rectangle building, it has been modified with a projecting, two story addition on the end facing . . . — Map (db m13246) HM
California (Mendocino County), Percy — Mignon "Minnie" Stoddard Lilley
In the woods across the road behind you lies the mausoleum of Minnie Stoddard Lilley, a homesteader, pioneer and teacher of early Mendocino County. From 1904 to 1936 Stoddard taught in a one room schoolhouse in the Andersonia/Percy area. For many . . . — Map (db m102242) HM
California (Mono County), Lee Vining — Upside-Down House
A distinctive local landmark and nationally renowned tourist attraction. It was the creation of - Nellie Bly O’Bryan (1893–1984), visionary, entrepreneur and long time resident of the Mono Basin. Originally, located along US-395 north of . . . — Map (db m10167) HM
California (Monterey County), Big Sur — Two Women From Two Worlds
Drawn to this wild, remote coast Traveling the difficult route along the coast in October of 1869, Michael and Babara Pfeiffer were forced to winter in Big Sur and decided to stay. Their daughter, Julia, was just 11 months old at the time. . . . — Map (db m68634) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — Kalisa's La Ida Cafe1957-2007
Kalisa Moore, known as "Queen of Cannery Row," was born in Latvia and came to America after WWII. She bridged the eras, opening her gourmet restaurant when most of the canneries had closed. Over the years "Kalisa's" became a bohemian coffee . . . — Map (db m81817) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — The Cannery Row MonumentDedicated February 26, 2014
This Monument pays tribute to the many diverse characters vital to the evolution of Cannery Row. Perched atop the rocky outcropping sits Nobel Prize winning author John Steinbeck, who immortalized Cannery Row with his novel of the same name. He is . . . — Map (db m81813) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — Working WomenHistoric Cannery Row
Prior to World War II, only women were allowed to work on cannery lines (top). In some canneries, only “white American women” were allowed to pack fish. Working the lines was considered “women’s work.” Even if there were men . . . — Map (db m55190) HM
California (Nevada County), Grass Valley — 855 — Mount Saint Mary’s Convent and Academy
Built by the Reverend Thomas J. Dalton and dedicated May 2, 1865 by Bishop Eugene O’Connell as Sacred Heart Convent and Holy Angels Orphanage. Under the Sisters of Mercy it served from 1866 to 1932 as the first orphanage of the Northern Mines. It . . . — Map (db m12898) HM
California (Nevada County), Nevada City — Ladies of the Evening
To commemorate that ubiquitous segment of society who have been unacknowledged; who, though obscure, made an essential contribution to the settlement of the West. — Map (db m126628) HM
California (Nevada County), Truckee — Surviving the Snowy Trek Out
In February, 1847, the first relief party from Sutter's Fort arrived. Two more relief parties came in March. These relief parties took 14 people from here out across the frozen Sierra. Only 11 survived (8 were children). Five people remained at . . . — Map (db m146235) HM
California (Nevada County), Truckee — What Made Her Do It?First Woman to Swim Donner Lake
History Today each August hundreds of swimmers take to the 65º water of Donner Lake and swim its 2.7 mile long length. Each swimmer has lots of company. On August 19 (sic, 18), 1935 though, it was a different story. On that day 17 year . . . — Map (db m129739) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — Helena Modjeska
This statue is the oldest public works of art project of its type in Orange County. Sponsored by the State Emergency Relief Administration, the Anaheim Rotary Club and the City of Anaheim, it was originally dedicated on September 15, 1935. . . . — Map (db m51967) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — Kate and Ella 1895"Katella Ranch"
Kate and Ella, the daughters of the Rea family, were early settlers of Anaheim. The family named their ranch "Katella Ranch" after their daughters. The original Anaheim wagon track was later named after them and is now Katella Ave. Artist: . . . — Map (db m123516) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — Michelle Carew Community Courtyard
This courtyard was dedicated September 17th 1999 in loving memory of Michelle Carew. Her spirited battle against leukemia raised awareness of the National Marrow Donor Program throughout this country. In the process, her legacy has saved countless . . . — Map (db m311) HM
California (Orange County), Buena Park — 43 — Buena Park Woman's Clubhouse
Since its establshment in a newly created Orange County (1889), the Buena Park Woman's Club has influenced the civic life of its community. The club helped establish a volunteer fire department in 1915, a library district in 1919, and the town's . . . — Map (db m50036) HM
California (Orange County), Garden Grove — 13 — Stanley House MuseumBuilt 1891
This two-acre site is dedicated to preserving a visible link to early Garden Grove. Edward G. Ware settled here in 1876 becoming a prominent rancher. His daughter L. Agnes Ware Stanley, was an early school teacher. Deeded in 1970 to the Garden Grove . . . — Map (db m49992) HM
California (Orange County), Westminster — Midway City Women's Clubhouse
(Circa 1929) Bolsa Avenue and Monroe Midway City, California Midway City Women's Club Organized 1928 - Federated 1935 - Incorporated 1935 Primary purpose: To promote moral, educational, welfare and civic measures. Donated to Westminster . . . — Map (db m59907) HM
California (Placer County), Colfax — Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad1876 – 1942 — Placer County Terminus —
Depot was 100 yards N.E. of this spot. Built by John Flint Kidder between 1874-76. It ran 22 miles from Colfax to Nevada City via Grass Valley. Rails taken up on 1942. Sarah Kidder, widow of builder , world’s first woman railroad president 1901 . . . — Map (db m14438) HM
California (Placer County), Tahoe City — A Tradition of BasketmakingArt For the Market
Basketmaking is a tradition of the Washoe people of the Breat Basin that dates back thousands of years. Different types of baskets were made for holding water and cooking, winnowing seeds and nuts, collecting and storing food, catching fish and . . . — Map (db m112968) HM
California (Plumas County), Beckwourth — James P. Beckwourth
This monument dedicated to the memory of James P. Beckwourth Born in Virginia, the son of a Southern planter and a negro slave, Beckwourth was a trapper, scout and mountain man. He explored the west with Jim Bridger, Kit Carson and Peter . . . — Map (db m56409) HM
California (Plumas County), La Porte — Lotta Crabtree
Charlotte (Lotta) Mignon Crabtree, born November 7, 1847, New York City. Moved to Grass Valley California in late spring of 1853. In the fall of 1854, the Crabtrees moved to Rabbit Creek (La Porte). Mart Taylor, a saloon owner with a small theater, . . . — Map (db m56298) HM
California (Riverside County), Banning — 60 — Banning Woman's Club Clubhouse
Built in 1915, the Banning Woman's Club Clubhouse is a frame building in the classical revival style with a plain entablature, simple doric columns, and palladian windows, as well as providing a meeting place for the woman's club, the socal and . . . — Map (db m50710) HM
California (Riverside County), Indio — 116 — Dr. June Robertson McCarroll
Dr. June Robertson McCarroll was born June 30, 1867 in the Adirondacks and began her medical career in Chicago. She left a promising practice for Indio in 1904. Becoming the sole practicing physician for the entire Coachella Valley. She traveled by . . . — Map (db m78540) HM
California (Riverside County), Thermal — Jacqueline CochranFirst Woman to Break the Sound Barrier
monument front: Jacqueline Cochran (1906-1980) Woman Pilot, Record Setter, WASP, Ninety-Nine First Woman to Break the Sound Barrier Charter Member of the Coachella Valley Chapter of Ninety-Nines Jackie Cochran . . . — Map (db m114556) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Georgia FisherA Monument Love Story Restoration Project
Georgia Fisher died on December 27, 1875. Martin Bergman, Georgia’s fiancée, was one of Sacramento’s earliest premiere potters and sculptures. Shortly after her death, Martin, together with his father and brother, created a beautiful monument on her . . . — Map (db m14034) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Jane Norris
Jane Norris 1832-1899 On April 11, 1865, a Sacramento woman hatched a secret plan to celebrate the end of the Civil War. Upon learning of Robert E. Lee's surrender to Northern troops, Jane Norris marched to the state capitol's construction . . . — Map (db m136563) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Jean A. Bell Kellogg
[A tree was planted in the memory of Jean Bell Kellogg. At the foot of the tree lies this marker] Charter member of Sumner Woman’s Relief Corps No.11, Auxiliary to the Grand Army of the Republic, Founded 1885. — Map (db m15012) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Margaret Rhodes Crocker1822 – 1901 — Wife of Edwin Bryant Crocker —
The donation of her late husband’s art collection to the city in 1885 gave Sacramento the first and finest art gallery west of the Mississippi. Other philanthropic gestures during her lifetime, which included generous support of the Protestant . . . — Map (db m10769) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Memorial Grove
Memorial Grove Dedicated to those women who served in the World War. Capital City Women's Post #389 American Legion May 30, 1939 — Map (db m110677) WM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Sisters of MercyArrival in Sacramento, October 2, 1857
This sculpture commemorates the 150th anniversary of the Sisters of Mercy caring for those in need to the greater Sacramento region. Mary Baptist Russell, California Foundress of the Sisters of Mercy, is depicted here as a woman of vision, courage . . . — Map (db m14840) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — 173408 — Theodora Tiffee Purkitt, M.D.
. . . — Map (db m136562) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Glen Helen — Pioneer Women
Erected in memory of the pioneer women of the San Bernardino Valley who dared to travel across the country by ox team and covered wagon to help lay the foundation for the building of this state. — Map (db m72579) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Lake Arrowhead — Memorial to Pauliena LaFuze
"I never thought I would outlive the trees" A century old herself in 2005, and seeing many of her beloved trees bow to beetle and flame, Pauliena Lafuze had done just that. She has been a Lake Arrowhead Woman's Club member since the . . . — Map (db m30409) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Ontario — WCTU Fountain
This fountain was built by the Women's Christian Temperance Union and dedicated to this City of Ontario on July 4th 1908, to provide the town with "a drinking fountain where only the pure, sparkling water can be had at any time by the . . . — Map (db m37513) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Twentynine Palms — Champion of the Desert
Minerva Hamilton Hoyt was a Pasadena, California gardener and civic leader who loved desert landscapes. She saw beauty in the desert where others saw an empty wasteland or an opportunity for profit. Mrs. Hoyt believed that outstanding desert . . . — Map (db m116862) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Twentynine Palms — 23 — Minerva Hamilton Hoyt
Her tireless efforts to establish Joshua Tree National Monument contributed to a heightened appreciation, not only of the Joshua Tree, but of the total desert environment. — Map (db m116863) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Yermo — 56 — Lucy Bell Lane
Calico’s most distinguished and long time resident was Lucy Bell Lane (1874-1967). Known at one time as the “Queen of Calico”, Lucy lived at Calico for nearly 67 years. Of her many gifts, she is most remembered for her warm hospitality . . . — Map (db m78579) HM
California (San Diego County), Coronado — The Stockdale TributeHonoring Vice Admiral James B. Stockdale and Mrs. Sybil B. Stockdale — Great American Heroes; Distinguished Coronado Residents —
Vice Admiral Stockdale was awarded our nation's highest military award, the Medal of Honor, for his extraordinary heroism, conspicuous gallantry, and unparalleled leadership while serving as senior naval officer in the Prisoner of War camps of North . . . — Map (db m117116) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Ellen Browning Scripps
the heart of a nurse, the courage of an astronaut and a capacity to give both generously and wisely” – Thomas O. Scripps The philanthropist Ellen Browning Scripps (1836—1932) holds a special and endearing place . . . — Map (db m142943) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 764 — Kate Olivia Sessions' Nursery Site1857 - 1940
This plaque commemorates the life and influence of a woman who envisioned San Diego beautiful. On this site she operated a nursery and gained world renown as a horticulturist. She was the first woman to receive the International Meyer Medal in . . . — Map (db m51098) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 257 — Women of the Mormon Battalion
[Marker located on Front of Base:] Mormon women were anxious to reach the glorious West and any means offered seemed an answer to prayer to help them on their way. When it was learned four laundresses would be allowed each of the five . . . — Map (db m82280) HM

3269 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 3069
Paid Advertisement
May. 26, 2020