Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Historical Markers in Jamaica

 
Fort Charles Marker image, Touch for more information
By J. Makali Bruton, November 22, 2015
Fort Charles Marker
Jamaica, Kingston, Port Royal — Fort Charles
Fort Charles, built in 1656, is the oldest fort in Jamaica. Originally named Fort Cromwell, it was renamed in 1662 to honour Charles II, restored King of England. The original armament of 10 guns was increased to 36 in 1667 and to 104 in 1765. When . . . — Map (db m92249) HM
Jamaica, Kingston, Port Royal — H.M.S. "Aboukir"
The machinery of this factory was erected by the engineers of H.M.S. "Aboukir" Steam up April 20th 1865 J. Harwood Chief Engr Pr Cracroft. C.B. Commodore — Map (db m92388) HM
Jamaica, Kingston, Port Royal — Horatio Nelson in Jamaica
In this place dwelt Horatio Nelson, —————— You who tread his footprints remember his glory. — Map (db m91179) HM
Jamaica, Kingston, Port Royal — Lucas Barrett
In Memory of Lucas Barrett F.G.S. F.L.S. Director of the Jamaican Geological Survey From 1859 to 1862 Who died while conducting underwater research off Port Royal on December 19, 1862 aged twenty five years. Erected by The Geological Society of . . . — Map (db m92247) HM
Jamaica, Kingston, Port Royal — St. Peter's Church
Completed 1726 To replace the original parish church sunk below the waves in 1692 — Map (db m92246) HM
Jamaica, Kingston, Port Royal — The 1907 and 1957 Jamaica Earthquakes
The 1907 Earthquake Port Royal On January 14, 1907 at about 3:30 a.m. a severe earthquake occurred which affected the Kingston-Port Royal area. In Port Royal the shock caused the still standing walls of the sunken city to collapse. The most . . . — Map (db m92410) HM
Jamaica, Kingston, Port Royal — The Great War 1914-1918
Message to the Governor of Jamaica from the Secretary of State for the Colonies 16th November 1918. Now that the War has been brought to a victorious conclusion I desire on-behalf of his Majesty's Government to express to the people of Jamaica and . . . — Map (db m92395) WM
Jamaica, Kingston, Port Royal — The Historic Royal Naval Hospital
Built around 1818, the Historic Royal Naval Hospital is an early example of the use of cast iron in construction. It was designed by a team headed by naval architect Edward Holl and constructed using the labour of enslaved Africans. The . . . — Map (db m92248) HM
Jamaica, Kingston, Port Royal — Welcome to Port Royal
Once called the "richest and wickedest city in the world," Port Royal was also the virtual capital of Jamaica. To it came men of all races, treasures of silks, doubloons and gold from Spanish ships, looted on the high seas by the notorious "Brethren . . . — Map (db m91193) HM
Jamaica, Kingston, Port Royal — 'Ye Olde Parade Bar'
Built in the 18th century as a penny lodging and bar serving the population of Port Royal including the british sailors and soldiers stationed at Fort Charles. During the last century it was managed by a chinese family who remained in control until . . . — Map (db m92387) HM
Jamaica, Middlesex County (Saint Ann Parish), Discovery Bay — Jamaica in 1494
A botanical investigation of 1956 revealed that the enclosed area, undisturbed for centuries because of its inaccessibility and its rocky soil, had preserved the indigenous plant life as it must have appeared in 1494 in which year Christopher . . . — Map (db m105155) HM
Jamaica, Saint James, Montego Bay — Fort Montego Armoury
All forts had buildings in which weapons and ammunition were kept safe. These were known as armouries and were heavily fortified buildings. The thick walls provided protection from direct hits, even the roof is built from cut stone to deflect shots . . . — Map (db m92386) HM
Jamaica, Saint James, Montego Bay — Fort Montego Cannons
Cannons were used in forts for the defence of harbours. Fort Montego had seventeen (17) cannons mounted in its heyday. Three (3) remain, two (2) dated 1810 and one (1) 1813. These are cast iron cannons manufactured by the Carron and Company Works . . . — Map (db m92379) HM
Jamaica, Saint James, Montego Bay — Fort Montego History
The fort was originally built in 1750; it was then known as Fort Frederick, later as Fort George. Fort Montego designed by European engineers, was built by enslaved Jamaicans to guard the town of Montego Bay. Built in the shape of a polygon, the . . . — Map (db m92385) HM
Jamaica, Saint James, Montego Bay — Montego Bay History Fort Montego
The area was settled by the Taino. Columbus arrived in 1494 on the 2nd voyage, anchored in the bay and called it Golfo de Buen Tiempo or the Gulf of Good Weather. The Spanish used it to ship Manteca or Lard from the slaughtering of . . . — Map (db m92252) HM

15 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement