27th Inniskilling Regt
On the 24th May 1796 the 27th Regt stormed and captured Morne Fortune. As a mark of the Regiment’s gallant conduct Sir Ralph Abercrombie ordered the French garrison to lay down their arms to the 27th Regt and directed that . . . — — Map (db m82926) WM
Official Residence of the Governor-General Designed by Mr. C. Messervy Colonial Engineer Foundation stone laid October 15, 1894 Smaller marker: This plaque was unveiled by HRH The Duke of York KCVO, ADC on the 22nd February 2004 in . . . — — Map (db m94171) HM
In 1688 the inhabitants of Enniskillen in Co Fermanagh, Ireland took up arms in defense of their town against the threat of occupation by the forces of James II. The troops so raised, The Inniskillingers, Foot and Dragoons, made repeated expeditions . . . — — Map (db m82930) HM WM
Born in Saint Lucia June 7, 1916 Pioneer of the Trade Union Movement 1946. Founding Father of the Saint Lucia Labour Party October 1950. First Minister of Education and Social Services March 1, 1956. First Chief Minister of Saint Lucia January 1, . . . — — Map (db m94219) HM
Born in St Lucia January 23, 1915 Nobel Prize for Economics - 1979 "A country without the Arts is a cultural desert" 1971 Graduation Address, U.W.I. Cave Hill Died June 15, 1991. — — Map (db m93903) HM
William Arthur Lewis KT
Born 23rd January 1915
Died 15th June 1991
For whom this college is named
Beloved husband of Gladys, Father of Elizabeth and Barbara
First Vice-Chancellor of the University of . . . — — Map (db m82686) HM
To the Glory of God and the abiding memory of the men of Saint Lucia who lost their lives in the Great War 1914-1918. British West Indies Regiment. No. ∙ Rank ∙ Name ∙ Batt. ∙ 1092 Pte. Arthur Augustin 2nd. ∙10458 . . . — — Map (db m93815) WM
C.O.’s Quarters 1782, rebuilt 1824
These quarters were never used by Admiral Rodney; he preferred to stay on his flagship “in comfort”.
Traces of a kitchen garden were found above to the left, behind the water tank, and two patios . . . — — Map (db m82716) HM WM
The Caribbean Sea gets its name from the Calingo or Carib people from South America who began their migration northward into the Antilles about 1000 A.D. They settled in areas close to the mainland supplies of fresh water, flora and . . . — — Map (db m82697) HM
Fort Rodney 1778
Pigeon Island, only some 40 kilometres (25 miles) south of the French base at Fort Royal, Martinique, had long been recognized by the British Admiral Rodney as an important observation and defensive site. In 1780 he wrote . . . — — Map (db m82693) HM WM
Looking down the canyon you can see the deep bay where Admiral Rodney’s ships anchored during the years 1778-1782. The ships were able to lie at anchor in the deep water close to the island, and seamen where employed in hauling cannon . . . — — Map (db m82694) HM
Josset’s House 1969
This private house was destroyed in the hurricane of 1980 and by the action of the sea. By that time the owner, Josset Legh, had returned to England after a forty-year romance with her tropical island paradise.
In 1937 . . . — — Map (db m82696) HM
The most intensive period of British occupation on Pigeon Island was from 1779 to 1783. The lime kiln was one of the first structures built.
Lime was used as a binding agent for all masonry work. White lime was . . . — — Map (db m82695) HM WM
Musket Redoubt 1782
This outpost to Fort Rodney was built in 1782 to protect the ridge top from surprise attack from sea. The soldiers could be hidden in the sunken area and they could stand on the platform and look down on both sides of the . . . — — Map (db m82691) HM WM
1778, rebuilt 1824 Although the heyday of Pigeon Island as a British base in the Caribbean was in the late eighteenth century during the Rodney period, the garrison continued to be manned until 1861.
Built originally in 1778, this kitchen . . . — — Map (db m82875) HM
Officers’ Quarters and Mess 1824
Pigeon Island National Landmark Interpretation Centre 1993
The only existing structural elements from the original Officers’ Quarters and Mess, built in 1824, are the foundation walls and arches below the main . . . — — Map (db m82719) HM WM
The heaviest gun on Pigeon Island was sited here. It was a 32-pounder which could be turned from north to south to cover the St. Lucia Channel and Gros Islet Bay. The gun was used effectively in 1781 to repel the French invasion of . . . — — Map (db m82692) HM
Soldiers’ Barracks 1808, rebuilt 1824
The colonial struggle between Britain and France and her allies continued into the 1800s, although fighting was interrupted by short-lived treaties and peace settlements. British troops were still sent to . . . — — Map (db m82717) HM WM
In 1780 HMS Cornwall was damaged and Admiral Rodney requested that her deck timbers be used in construction of the two-gun battery on Pigeon Island.
This gun battery was to protect the island from a sea attack from the . . . — — Map (db m83231) HM WM
U.S. Signal Station 1941
Nearly two centuries after Rodney recognized its importance, Pigeon Island was again used as a strategic base, during World War II. This U.S. Signal Station was built over Rodney’s existing mortar battery dating from . . . — — Map (db m82690) HM WM
The Pitons Management Area (PMA) was inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List as a natural site on Wednesday, 30th June 2004 at the 28th session of the World Heritage Committee.
The status as a World Heritage Site was conferred on the basis . . . — — Map (db m82687) HM