Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

717 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 517
 
Wideview of Captain Samuel Anderson Marker image, Touch for more information
By Kevin Craft, May 19, 2017
Wideview of Captain Samuel Anderson Marker
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry counties), Cornwall — Captain Samuel Anderson1736-1836
This property formed part of the extensive lands granted to Capt. Samuel Anderson, U.E.L., one of the first persons to settle on the site of Cornwall. Born in New England of Irish parents, he served with the British forces during the Seven Years . . . — Map (db m103604) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry counties), Cornwall — Cornwall Canal
The Cornwall Canal was one of eight canals that connected western Canada with the ocean by way of the Great Lakes and the St. Lawrence River. Constructed in 1834–1842 to overcome the rapids of the Long Sault, it was enlarged several times . . . — Map (db m103668) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry counties), Cornwall — Cornwall Grammar School
Cornwall Collegiate and Vocational School traces its beginning to an educational institution founded by John Strachan in 1803. Strachan, an Anglican priest, opened a private school in his home where he hoped to educate young men to take on leading . . . — Map (db m103613) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry counties), Cornwall — Inverarden
This house, built in 1816, is a fine early example of Regency architecture and its interior is a pleasing expression of Georgian symmetry with excellent detailing. In a wooded setting and commanding an impressive view, this was a fitting home for a . . . — Map (db m103603) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry counties), Cornwall — Lieutenant-Colonel John Macdonell(Aberchalder) — c. 1750-1809
Born in Scotland, Macdonell came to New York in 1773. Commissioned ensign in the Royal Highland Emigrants (84th Regiment) in June 1775 and later transferred to Butler's Rangers, Macdonell served with distinction until 1784 when he settled with his . . . — Map (db m103602) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry counties), Cornwall — Right Reverend John Strachan1778-1867
Born in Scotland, Strachan came to Kingston in 1799. Ordained in 1803, he became rector of Cornwall and taught at its grammar school until named rector of York in 1812. In 1839 he was made the first Anglican Bishop of Toronto. A central figure in . . . — Map (db m103614) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry counties), Cornwall — The Founding of Cornwall
In June 1784 disbanded Loyalist soldiers and their families settled at new Johnstown, the site of present-day Cornwall. Initially called Pointe Maligne, the area had been visited by native traders and French missionaries and explorers during the . . . — Map (db m103632) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry counties), Cornwall — The French Presence in Cornwall
A vital cultural force in Eastern Ontario, the Franco-Ontarian community in Cornwall was established during the late 1870s when large-scale industrial expansion led to an influx of workers and tradesmen from Québec. By 1881 French-speaking . . . — Map (db m103610) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry counties), Cornwall — The Glengarry Fencibles
The regiment of Glengarry Light Infantry Fencibles was raised in 1811–12 largely from among the Highland settlers of this region, many of whom had served previously in Europe with the Glengarry (British Highland) Fencibles. The Canadian corps . . . — Map (db m103612) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry counties), Cornwall — The Rev. John Strachan in Cornwall
This pioneer clergyman, legislator and teacher was born in 1778 in Aberdeen, Scotland, and in 1799 came to Kingston as a tutor. In 1803, after entering the Church of England, he was ordained and appointed missionary at Cornwall. Here in . . . — Map (db m103641) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry counties), Cornwall — War of 1812St. John's Presbyterian Church
Founded in 1787 by the well known Scot, the Reverend John Bethune, St. John's Presbyterian Church and its people played an important role in the preservation of Canadian land and territorial claim during the war of 1812. Their first church building . . . — Map (db m103631) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry counties), South Glengarry — "Cariboo" Cameron1820-1888
Born in this township, John Angus "Cariboo" Cameron married Margaret Sophia Groves in 1860. Accompanied by his wife and daughter, he went to British Columbia in 1862 to prospect in the Cariboo gold fields. That year at Williams Creek he struck a . . . — Map (db m103594) HM
Quebec, Frontenac — Municipality of Frontenac (established in 1882)
In 2003, a group of scientists from the University of Montreal discovered typical Paleo-Indian artefacts in the municipality of Frontenac. This very discovery propelled the region to the foreground of archaeological history in the Province of . . . — Map (db m102395) HM
Guatemala, Chimaltenango (Municipality of Chimaltenango) — Chimaltenango Memorial to the Victims of Guatemala's Armed Conflict
En memoria de los miles y miles de mártires que lucharon por la paz con justicia social del pueblo maya kaqchikel y no maya que fueron: secuestrados, desaparecidos, torturados, masacrados y asesinados por las fuerzas represivas de los últimos 36 . . . — Map (db m103566) HM WM
Guatemala, Chimaltenango (Municipality of Chimaltenango) — General Justo Rufino Barrios
1885 al 1986 General Justo Rufino Barrios Reformador de Guatemala en el 101 aniversario de su muerte Guatemala, 2 de abril de 1986 Zona Militar No. 3, “La Alameda, Chimaltenango” Municipalidad de Chimaltenango, 1986 SMG English . . . — Map (db m103557) HM
Guatemala, Chimaltenango (Municipality of Chimaltenango) — José Simeon Cañas
Parque Jose Simeon Cañas Chimaltenango a su egregio diputado padre de la abolición de la esclavitud en Centro America, en dic. de 1823 1957 English translation: José Simeón Cañas Park Chimaltenango to its outstanding Congressman, Father of . . . — Map (db m103568) HM
Guatemala, Sacatepéquez (Municipality of Antigua Guatemala), Aldea San Juan del Obispo — José Luis de León Diaz
Por qué se empeña la muerte en matar vanamente a la vida si la más humilde semilla rompe la piedra más fuerte Luis de León. José Luis de León Diaz, Nombre literario: Luis de León, Escritor, Novelista Cuentista. Nacido en San Juan del Obispo el 19 . . . — Map (db m103528) HM
Guatemala, Sacatepéquez (Municipality of Antigua Guatemala), Antigua Guatemala — Las Delicias Fountain
El Comité del Barrio de la Concepcion En el quinto aniversario de su fundacion declara patrimonio histórico del barrio "Fuente de las Delicias" construida el año 1620 Santiago de Guatemala La Antigua Guatemala 7 de diciembre de 1995 English . . . — Map (db m103524) HM
Guatemala, Sacatepéquez (Municipality of Sumpango), Sumpango — Tree of Saint Peter
Árbol de Santo Hermano Pedro Nombre: Esquisuchil Nombre científico: Bourreira Huanita Familia: Boraginaceae Altura promedio: 9 Metros Sembrado el 21 de Agosto de 2016 Es un Brote Natural del árbol plantado por el Santo Hermano Pedro de San . . . — Map (db m103571) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — 100th Anniversary of the Birth of Justo Sierra
A Justo Sierra Maestro de America Enero 26 de 1848 · Enero 26 de 1948 Siendo Presidente de la Republica El C. Lic. Miguel Aleman V. y Gobernador Constitucional del Estado El C. Lic. Eduardo J. Lavalle Urbina, se erigio este monumento a la . . . — Map (db m103105) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — Bastion of Our Lady of Solitude
Baluarte de Nuestra Señora de la Soledad Este baluarte fue construido alrededor de 1690, donde se ubicaba la fortificación conocida como El Bonete en 1610. Es el tercero y más grande del sistema defensivo de Campeche, que servía de apoyo a la . . . — Map (db m103108) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — Bastion of San Pedro
Baluarte de San Pedro Este baluarte se construyó a finales del siglo XVII en el vértice oriente del hexágono que conformaba el recinto amurallado de Campeche. En 1824 sirvió para defender a la ciudad de los embates del gobierno de Mérida y en . . . — Map (db m103001) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — Campeche's Land Gate
Puerta de Tierra Esta puerta data de 1732; se localiza entre los baluartes de San Juan y San Francisco, es uno de los símbolos de la ciudad amurallada. Conserva la mayoría de sus elementos originales, como cañoneras, almacenes de pólvora o . . . — Map (db m103098) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — Gate to the Sea
Puerta de Mar Esta puerta fue reconstruida en 1955 en memoria de la original, demolida en 1893 con sus lienzos de muralla y el cuerpo de guardia. Llegaba hasta el mar, en donde desembarcaban los viajeros y se recogían las mercancías . . . — Map (db m103103) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — Governor's Palace
Palacio de Gobierno Construido en 1963, este conjunto arquitectónico alberga los Poderes Ejecutivo, Legislativo y Judicial del Estado de Campeche. En su momento, fue la obra más emblemática de la renovación arquitectónica de la capital, . . . — Map (db m103100) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — House of Pablo García y Montilla
Casa del Lic. Pablo García y Montilla Esta casa fue construida durante el siglo XIX. Aquí es donde nació el abogado y político Don Pablo García y Montilla el 27 de enero de 1824. En 1857, siendo Diputado Local propuso la separación del . . . — Map (db m102995) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — Independence of Campeche
En esta casa se reunieron la noche del 6 de agosto de 1857 los iniciadores de nuestra emancipación política. 6 de agosto de 1957 Gobierno del Estado English translation: In this house, on the night of August 6, 1857 met the planners of our . . . — Map (db m103097) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — Pedro Sainz de Baranda y Borreyro
En esta casa nacio el 13 de marzo de 1787 el ilustre marino campechano, Don Pedro Sainz de Baranda y Borreyro, consumador de la independencia nacional, a quien el pueblo y gobierno de Campeche rinden merecido homenaje y reconocimiento. Marzo 13 . . . — Map (db m102997) WM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — Professor Septimio Perez Palacios
. . . — Map (db m102998) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — The Bastion of San Carlos
Baluarte de San Carlos Este baluarte sustituyó a un viejo torreón conocido como La Fuerza del Bonete. Fue reinaugurado por el Gobernador don Sandro Fernández de Angulo y Sandoval con el nombre de Castillo de San Benito. Se le bautizó asi en . . . — Map (db m103099) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — The House of the King’s Lieutenant
Casa de Teniente del Rey Esta casa es una de las tres que existen en Campeche y que sirvieron como vivienda del Teniente del Rey. Construida en el siglo XVII, sirvió como residencia oficial del noveno Teniente del Rey de Campeche, don Miguel . . . — Map (db m102999) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — The Redoubt of San Miguel
Reducto de San Miguel La protección de la ciudad de Campeche se completó con la construcción de seis fortificaciones en su exterior: tres al poniente de puerto y tres al oriente. El Reducto de San Miguel, cuya obra fue concluida en 1801, se . . . — Map (db m103106) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche), Uzahzil Edzná — Nohochná
Nohochná La Casa Grande (del maya yucateco: nohoch, grande y ná, casa) posee un eje longitudinal de 135 m., orientado en sentido norte-sur, con 31 m. de ancho y 9 m. de altura. Una amplísima escalinata con 15 enormes peldaños cubre casi todo el . . . — Map (db m103127) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche), Uzahzil Edzná — The Ambassadors' Platform
Plataforma de los Embajadores Este espacio está delimitado por varios edificios dispuestos de manera irregular. La exploración parcial de algunos ha permitod identificar dos épocas constructivas. El arco o pasaje del lado sur, en realidad fue . . . — Map (db m103124) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche), Uzahzil Edzná — The Ball Game at Edzná
Juego de Pelota Aquí se practicaba un juego de carácter sagrado relacionado con el antagonismo de los dioses, con la aparente rivalidad de fuerzas naturales. En la construcción se observa una cuidadosa orientación norte-sur del eje principal de . . . — Map (db m103129) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche), Uzahzil Edzná — The Building of the Five Floors
Edificio de los Cinco Pisos Al pie de este edificio se localiza una serie de jeroglificos que indican el año 652 d.C. Las épocas constructivas, sin embargo, se extendieron a lo largo de varios siglos, especialmente de IV a XIV a.C. Esta . . . — Map (db m103115) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche), Uzahzil Edzná — The Great Acropolis
Gran Acrópolis A lo largo de varios siglos, los mayas concentraron en este sector de Edzná la construcción y remodelación de varios edificios monumentales. El resultado final es un enorme basamento que sustenta y realza diversas construcciones . . . — Map (db m103141) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche), Uzahzil Edzná — The Maya
Los Mayas Los mayas crearon sociedades complejas con individuos claramente diferenciados por su papel político, religioso y económico. Fundaron ciudades y pueblos, construyeron grandes obras públicas (hidráulicas, camineras, agrícolas, etc.), . . . — Map (db m103123) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche), Uzahzil Edzná — The Platform of the Knives
Plataforma de los Cuchillos Una ofrenda de cuchillos de pedernal originó el nombre de este edificio, que constituye el lindero norte del corazón de Edzná. Pertenece al periodo Clásico Tardío (600-900 d.C.) y es un buen ejemplo de la . . . — Map (db m103144) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche), Uzahzil Edzná — The Small Acropolis
La Pequeña Acrópolis Este conjunto es de los mas antiguos de Edzná y, curiosamente constituye la cuarta parte de la Gran Acrópolis. Igual que esta última, tiene su mayor edificio ubicado en el sector oriental y cuenta, con una calzada en su . . . — Map (db m103139) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche), Uzahzil Edzná — The Temple of the Giant Masks
Templo de Mascarones Muchos edificios mayas estuvieron decorados con representaciones diversas, modeladas en estuco. Este material, equiparable al yeso, es muy frágil y pocas veces se conserva en buenas condiciones. Durante los trabajos de . . . — Map (db m103131) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — Angel Albino Corzo
Angel Albino Corzo 1816-1875 Nacio en Chiapas; inicio sus actividades politicas en 1845 como Presidente Municipal de su pueblo natal del que posteriormente fue Prefecto Político, Tesorero General, Diputado y Gobernador de la entidad. De ideas . . . — Map (db m103390) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — Carlos María de Bustamonte
Carlos Maria de Bustamonte Historiador Nacio en Oaxaca en el año de 1774 Insurgente se unio al Generalisimo Morelos Periodista. Diputado al Congreso de Chilpancingo Historiado de la Independencia Fallecio en 1848 English translation: . . . — Map (db m103316) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — Chapel of the Immaculate Conception of the Waterfall
Capilla de la Inmaculada Concepción del Salto del Agua. Erigida en el siglo XVIII perteneció a la cofradía de la Purísima Concepción. Con la ampliación de la Avenida del Salto del Agua en 1935 quedó aislada. English translation:Chapel . . . — Map (db m103430) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — Chapel of the Marquis of Salvatierra
Capilla del Marqués de Salvatierra o Templo de San Agustín, capilla del antiguo Convento de San Agustín. Actualmente pertenece a la Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México. English translation: Chapel of the Marquis of Salvatierra . . . — Map (db m103467) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — Concepción Béistegui Hospital
En lo que fuera el Convento de Regina Coeli se encuentra esta Casa Hogar para Ancianos que por más de 90 años albergó al Hospital Concepción Béistegui. English translation:In part of what was once the Convent of Regina Coeli is found this . . . — Map (db m103427) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — Coronel Gregorio Méndez
Gregorio Mendez Coronel Republicano Nacio en Jalpa, Tab. en el año de 1836 Defendio a su patria contra invasores extranjeros Gobernador de Tab. Fallecio en 1887 siendo declarado Benemerito de su estado natal English translation: . . . — Map (db m103280) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — Donato Guerra
Donato Guerra General Republicano Teocuitlatal, Jalisco Fue su cuna en el año de 1832; Valiente defensor de la Republica contra la intervencion extranjera. Murio en el año de 1876 en Avalos Chihuahua. English translation: Donato . . . — Map (db m103289) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — Francisco Primo de Verdad y Ramos
Francisco Primo de Verdad y Ramos 1760 1808 Sindico del Ayuntamiento de la Ciudad de Mexico Precursor de la Independencia Ofrendo la vida para sostener el principio de que la soberanía de la Nacion radica en el Pueblo English . . . — Map (db m103470) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — General Antonio Rosales
Antonio Rosales General Republicano de origen zacatecano nacio en 1822 Literato y Poeta Lucho en Sinaloa por la libertad Fundo el Colegio Civil de Culiacan Murio combatiendo contra los Imperialistas en el año de 1866 English . . . — Map (db m103161) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — General Ignacio López Rayón
Homenaje del Glorioso Pueblo de Tlalpujahua de Rayón, Michoácan "al General y Licenciado Ignacio López Rayón" con motivo que en el año 2012, se conmemoran el CCXXXIX aniversario de su natalicio, el Bicentenario de sus elementos . . . — Map (db m103159) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — General Ignacio Pesqueira
Ignacio Pesqueira General Republicano. Nacio en Arizpe, Sonora en 1820. Lucho por la causa Liberal Republicana. Goberno con honradez y energia en su estado natal. Gran patriota cuya muerte ocurrio en en año de 1886. English . . . — Map (db m103341) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — General Mariano Jiménez
Mariano Jimenez General Insurgente Nacio en San Luis Potosi en el año de 1780 Estudio en Mexico para Ingeniero de Minas Se unio a Hidalgo peleando por la Independencia Murio fusilado en Chihuahua en el año de 1811 English translation: . . . — Map (db m103312) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — General Pedro J. Méndez
Pedro J. Méndez General Republicano Nació en Tamaulipas en el año de 1836 Lucho con valor contra extranjeros intervencionistas Murió peleando por la Republica en el año d 1866 English translation: Pedro J. Méndez Republican . . . — Map (db m103150) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — Guadalupe Victoria
Guadalupe Victoria Insurgente. Nacio en Tamazula Durango en 1789. Defendio con valor la Independencia. Fue el primer Presidente de la Republica. Ciudadano ejemplar. Murio en Perote en 1847. English translation: Guadalupe . . . — Map (db m103288) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — Hotel de la Gran Sociedad
Aquí estuvo el Hotel de la Gran Sociedad en donde fué asesinado Don Juan de Dios Canedo 29 de marzo de 1850. Catálogo de la Insp. Gral. de Monumentos Artísticos e Históricos. English translation: Here was located the Hotel de la Gran . . . — Map (db m103448) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — House of José y Francisco Fagoaga y Villaurruña
Aquí vivieron Don José y Don Francisco Fagoaga y Villaurruña benefactores de escuelas y hospitales 1800 Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República English translation: Here lived José y Francisco Fagoaga y Villaurruña, . . . — Map (db m103449) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — House of Pedro Romero de Terreros
Esta fue la casa de Don Pedro Romero de Terreros Conde de Regla fundador del Monte de Piedad, reedificada en 1928. 1768. Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República English translation: This was the house of Pedro Romero de . . . — Map (db m103450) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — Ignacio Ramírez
Ignacio Ramirez Constituyente en 1856-57 Nacio en S. Miguel el Grande Gto. 1818 Alumno del Colegio de S. Juan de Letran Ministro de la S. Corte de Justicia filosofo, poeta orador y polemista extraordinario Fallecio en Mexico en el año de 1879 . . . — Map (db m103345) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — Jesús Terán
Jesus Teran 1821-1866 Nacio en la ciudad de Aguascalientes, Fundador y Director del Instituto Cientifico y Literario. Fue Gobernador de su estado natal; Secretario de Gobernacion en 1857 y de Relaciones Exteriores en 1862. Fundo la Revista . . . — Map (db m103386) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — José María Chávez
Jose Maria Chavez Defensor de la Republica Nacio en 1812 en Aguascalientes; Goberno con acierto en su estado natal, abrio centros de cultura popular. Murio defendiendo a su patria contra extranjeros invasores en el año de 1864. English . . . — Map (db m103217) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — Juan Antonio de la Fuente
Juan Antonio de la Fuente Diplomatico Nacio en Saltillo en 1814 Se recibió de abogado Diputado al Congreso Constituyente 1856-1857 Secretario de Estado Ministro de Mexico en Francia Fallecio en 1867 English translation: Juan Antonio . . . — Map (db m103109) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — Juan de la Granja
En esta casa hizo Juan de la Granja los primeros experimentos de Telégrafia realizados en México. 1850. Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República. English translation: In this house Juan de la Granja performed the first . . . — Map (db m103491) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — Juan Zuazua
Juan Zuazua Defensor de la Reforma Nacio en Lampazos N. L. en 1821 Combatio contra la invasion norte americana en 1846-1847 Fue defensor de la causa Liberal en la Guerra de la Reforma Murio en 1860 English translation: Juan Zuazua . . . — Map (db m103318) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — Leonardo Bravo
Leonardo Bravo Insurgente Chilpancingo fue su cuna en el año de 1764 patriota insurgente segundo a Morelos defendiendo Cuautla el gobierno tiranico diole muerte en Mexico en el año de 1812 English translation: Leonardo Bravo . . . — Map (db m103216) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — Manuel Cepeda Peraza
Manuel Cepeda Peraza Gob. de Yucatan Nacio en Merida en 1828 Militar valiente y distinguido Lucho por la causa Liberal Goberno su estado con talento y con patriotismo Murio en el año de 1869 English translation: Manuel Cepeda . . . — Map (db m103367) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — Manuel Ojinaga
Manuel Ojinaga Militar Originario del Edo. de Chihuahua nacio en 1834 Diputado y Gobernador Murio en defensa de la patria contra la intervencion extranjera en 1865 English translation: Manuel Ojinaga Member of the Armed Forces . . . — Map (db m103283) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — Nicolás García de San Vicente
Nicolas Garcia de San Vicente Educador Nacio en Acaxochitlan Hgo. en el año de 1793 Fue sacerdote Diputado y maestro Escribio muchos libros para la ensenañza de los niños Murio en el año de 1846. English translation: Nicolás García de . . . — Map (db m103343) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — Palace of the Counts of San Mateo Valparaiso
Esta casa (hoy reconstruida) fue de los Condes de San Mateo Valparaiso construida en 1769-1772 por el Maestro de Arquitectura Francisco Guerrero Torres. Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República. English translation:This house . . . — Map (db m103447) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — Parish of Our Lady of Lourdes
Parroquia de Nuestra Señora de Lourdes. Fue construida en el siglo XVIII, formó parte del Antiguo Colegio de las Doncellas de Nuestra Señora de la Caridad, conocido como Colegio de Niñas, institución franciscana para niñas huérfanas mestizas y . . . — Map (db m103413) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — Plaza of the Tree of the Night of Sorrows
Plaza el Árbol de la Noche Triste El 30 de junio de 1520, mientras los mexicas sepultaban al Emperador Moctezuma y asignaban a Cuitlahuac como su sucesor, Cortes preparo su salida por la Calzada del Tepeyac, al no partir de inmediato dio . . . — Map (db m103492) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — Plutarco González
Plutarco Gonzalez Nacio en Toluca en 1813. General y Gobernador del Edo. de Mexico desde 1855 hasta 1857 año en que murió en Malinalco Edo. de Mexico. English translation: Plutarco González Born in Toluca in 1813. General and . . . — Map (db m103287) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — Stela E of Quiriguá
Estela E de Quiriguá (Reproducción) Quiriguá se localiza sobre el valle del río Motagua, que nace cerca de la ciudad de Guatemala y desemboca en el Golfo de Honduras. Su trayecto favoreció el comercio de obsidiana y jadeíta . . . — Map (db m103520) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — Temple of San Hipólito y Casiano
Templo de San Hipólito y Casiano. Fue erigido en el siglo XVII en el sitio ocupado antes por la Ermita de los Mártires del siglo XVI construida en memoria de los españoles caídos en la batalla que precedió a la Noche Triste durante la conquista . . . — Map (db m103391) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — The Church and Convent of Regina Coeli
Templo de Regina Coeli reedificado en el siglo XVIII como parte del Convento del mismo nombre siendo la segunda fundación concepcionista en la Nueva España. English translation: The Church of Regina Coeli rebuilt in the 18th century as . . . — Map (db m103429) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — The Golden Rooster Bar
El Gallo de Oro ha servido a la comunidad desde 1874 El Gobierno de la Ciudad de Mexico conmemora con esta placa ese esfuerzo de 116 años Ciudad de México, 1990 English translation: The Golden Rooster Bar has served the community . . . — Map (db m103415) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — The Hill of the StarEl Cerro de la Estrella
Cerro de la EstrellaNombre con el que se le conoce desde la Época Colonial por su cercanía con el Manantial de la Estrella. En la Época Prehispánica tuvo varias denominaciones: “hombre como ánima del cerro de los huizaches”, . . . — Map (db m103495) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — The House of Juan Altamirano
Aquí estuvo la casa del Lic. Juan Altamirano primo de Cortés fue reconstruida por los Condes de Santiago de Calimaya en 1779. Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República. English translation: Here was the house of Juan . . . — Map (db m103469) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — The Juárez Tree
Árbol Juarista Primer ábol conmemorativo en México El 30 de septiembre de 1910, el ex presidente de México Don Porfirio Díaz, sembró este árbol por el Centenario de la Independencia de México, en honor de Benito Pablo Juárez García. . . . — Map (db m103282) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — The National Anthropology Museum of Mexico
Museo Nacional de Antropologia. Tiene sus inicios en 1825 cuando el Presidente Guadalupe Victoria crea el Museo Nacional de Historia coleccionando objetos arquelogicos y documentos prehispánicos. Sufriendo posteriormente cambios debidos a los . . . — Map (db m103496) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — The Novitiate of the Convent of Saint Augustine
Aquí estuvo el noviciado del Convento de San Agustin comunicado por un arco a través de la calle. 1575-1823 Direccion de monumentos coloniales y de la República. English translation: Here was the novitiate of the Convent of Saint . . . — Map (db m103468) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — Vicente Guerrero
Vicente Guerrero Mantuvo el fuego de la Guerra de Independencia Fue sacrificado el 14 de Febrero de 1831 Vivir por la Patria o Morir por la Libertad English translation: Vicente Guerrero He maintained the fire of the War of . . . — Map (db m103393) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Allende), San Miguel de Allende — A Ceremonial Centre in the Laja River Basin
Cañada de la Virgen: un centro cívico ceremonial en la cuenca de río Laja En la epoca prehispánica Cañada de la Virgen fue un centro cívico ceremonial que alcanzó su mayor desarrollo durante los años 540 a 1050 d.C., sin que a la fecha haya . . . — Map (db m103640) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Allende), San Miguel de Allende — The Ceremonial Avenue
Calzada ceremonial El acceso principal al centro cívico ceremonial en época prehispánica se realizaba a traves de una gran calzada de casi un kilómetro de longitud y entre 13 y 17 metros de ancho. Ésta se diseño con un trazo de oriente a . . . — Map (db m103572) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Allende), San Miguel de Allende — The House of Luis Malo
. . . — Map (db m103730) HM WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Tierra Blanca), Tierra Blanca — Miguel Hidalgo
1753 1953 Loor eterno al Padre de la Patria Hidalgo English translation: 1753 - 1953 Eternal tribute to the Father of the Nation Hidalgo
Map (db m103522) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Victoria), Victoria — Father Juan González Zarate
A la santa memoria del Sr. Cura Pbro. Don Juan Gonzalez Zarate, Fundador de la Congregacion de Hermanos de Santa Maria de Guadalupe y San Isidro Labrador. e insigne benefactor de esta parroquia de San Juan Bautista en donde tuvo especial . . . — Map (db m103525) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Victoria), Victoria — Miguel Hidalgo
Por acuerdo del H. Ayuntamiento 1967-1969 se erigio este monumento al Padre de la Patria Don Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla siendo Presidente Municipal el C. Simon Amador Mata Villa Victoria, Gto., diciembre de 1969 English translation: . . . — Map (db m103527) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Santiago de Querétaro), Santiago de Querétaro — Friar Antonio de Jesus María Linaz Massanli
Fray Antonio de Jesus Ma. Linaz Massanli 1635-1693 Custodio de Provincia 1679 Prefecto de Misiones Guardian del Convento de la Santa Cruz de Qro. 1681 Fundador del Primer Colegio Apostolico de Propaganda Fide en Queretaro 1683 Dedicacion . . . — Map (db m103727) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Santiago de Querétaro), Santiago de Querétaro — Friar Antonio Margil de Jesus Ros
Fray Antonio Margil de Jesus Ros 1657-1726 Guardian del Convento de la Santa Cruz de Queretaro 1696-1700 Fundador del Colegio Apostolico de Propaganda Fide en Guatemala 1701 Fundador del Colegio Apostolico de Propaganda Fide en Zacatecas 1707 . . . — Map (db m103717) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Santa Elena), Santa Elena — Architecture
Arquitectura La arquitectura Puuc destaca por el avance tecnológico que comenzó a desarrollarse alrededor del 600 d.C. y que alcanzó su perfeccionamiento hacia el 770-950 d.C. El desarrollo en la técnica de los núcleos constructivos que se . . . — Map (db m102930) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Santa Elena), Santa Elena — Quadrangle of the Birds
Cuadrángulo de los Pájaros Lo integran cuatro edificios de tipo palacio, cada uno de los cuales consta de varios recintos. En medio del patio se ve un altar de base cuadrada y una columna cilíndrica en el centro. La decoración de los edificios . . . — Map (db m102858) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Santa Elena), Santa Elena — Stelae Building
Edificio de Estelas En esta plataforma se localizaron 15 estelas, de éstas destaca la número 14, localizada en el museo del sitio. En la Estela 14 se representa la imagen del único gobernante de Uxmal que se ha identificado hasta ahora y quien . . . — Map (db m102959) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Santa Elena), Santa Elena — The Cemetery Group
El Grupo del Cementerio Los relieves de calaveras con huesos entrelacruzados y tocados presentes en cuatro pequeñas plataformas al norte del patio, dieron nombre al conjunto que data de 900-1000 d.C. Al poniente existen tres edificaciones sobre . . . — Map (db m102947) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Santa Elena), Santa Elena — The Governor's Palace
El Palacio del Gobernador Esta asentado sobre una plataforma de 8 a 12 m de altura, 187 m. de largo y 170 m. de ancho. La estructura mide 98 m. de frente por 12 m. de ancho; fue dividida en tres partes separadas por bóvedas transversales muy . . . — Map (db m102934) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Santa Elena), Santa Elena — The Great Temple / Great Pyramid
Templo Mayor o Gran Pirámide Este monumento mide alrededor de 80 m. en su costado norte y aproximadamente 30 m. de altura. Su forma general es la de una pirámidecuadrangular truncada, de nueve cuerpos escalonados. La escalinata norte conduce a . . . — Map (db m102935) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Santa Elena), Santa Elena — The Pigeon-House Cluster
El Grupo del Palomar El nombre palomar se aplicó por los calados de la crestería, que semeja un palomar. El conjunto está formado por un patio rectangular rodeado de edificios de tipo palacio, de los cuales sólo se conserva un sector del . . . — Map (db m102939) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Santa Elena), Santa Elena — The Pillory Shrine
Adoratorio de la Picota Este adoratorio consiste en un basamento cuadrada en cuyo centro está enclavado un monolito con forma de cono truncado, que al parecer estuvo recubierto de estuco y sobre el aplanado se pintaron motivos ornamentales . . . — Map (db m102932) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Santa Elena), Santa Elena — The Throne of the Jaguar
El Trono del Jaguar Consta de una pequeña plataforma de 4.85 m. por lado y 1.20 m. de altura a la que se accede mediante escaleras ubicadas en sus cuatro costados. En medio de la plataforma se colocó una escultura de un jaguar bicéfalo, que . . . — Map (db m102931) HM
Alabama (Houston County), Dothan — First Missionary Baptist ChurchDothan, Alabama
(side 1)
In 1889, Georgia Baptists led by Reverend W. M. Carter organized the New Hope Baptist Church in the village of Poplar Head. Reverend Robert Nelson was called as the first pastor. In 1907, newly-elected trustees incorporated . . . — Map (db m102970) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Madison — "The Roundhouse"
This building is a replica of Madison's first city hall and is constructed on the original site of the Madison Depot, it was build in the late 1800's while Capt. John Buchanan Floyd, a Confederate veteran, was mayor. "The Roundhouse" served as the . . . — Map (db m103054) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Chris’ Hot DogsEstablished In 1917
Greek immigrant Christopher Anastasios Katechis opened Chris’ Hot Dogs on May 1, 1917, at 138 Dexter Avenue. Until the 1960’s, Chris offered curb service for its hot dogs, leading to long lines of cars cued for service. The hot dogs featured Chris’ . . . — Map (db m103243) HM
Alabama (Morgan County), Decatur — Historic Downtown/Founders Park

Public Buildings
 1. Public City Hall 2. Decatur Police Station 3. Decatur/Morgan Co. Chamber of Comm. 4. Decatur Public Library 5. Federal Bldg./Post Office 6. Morgan County Archives 7. Morgan County Courthouse . . . — Map (db m103228) HM
Alabama (Morgan County), Decatur — Old Decatur Historic District/Historic Depot

The Old Decatur Historic District dates Back to the town's settlement in 1817; at that time it was called Rhodes Ferry Landing after Dr. Henry W. Rhodes, an early landowner who operated a ferry across the Tennessee River. In 1820, . . . — Map (db m103229) HM
Alabama (Morgan County), Decatur — Old Decatur Historic District/Old State Bank
The Old Decatur Historic District dates Back to the Town's settlement in 1817; at that time it was called Rhodes Ferry Landing after Dr. Henry W. Rhodes, an early landowner who operated a ferry across the Tennessee River. In 1820, President . . . — Map (db m103225) HM WM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon National Park — Grand Canyon Depot
In 1901, the screech of train brakes and the blast of a train whistle signaled the arrival of a new era in Grand Canyon Village. The railroad provided the most comfortable means of transportation to the canyon for more than a quarter century. This . . . — Map (db m102856) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — National Memorial Cemetery of Arizona
Dedicated to The Memory of All The Patriotic Men and Women Who Answered Their Country’s Call To Service George W. Bush President of The United States Anthony J. Principi Secretary U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Roger R. Rapp . . . — Map (db m102949) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Unidentified Veterans
. . . — Map (db m102948) WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Veterans Memorial CarillonNational Memorial Cemetery of Arizona
Amvets National Service Foundation In Partnership With The Unified Arizona Veterans And The Arizona Department Of Veterans Services Dedicate This Carillon As A Living Memorial To American Veterans Who Served Their Country Honorably For . . . — Map (db m102950) WM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — 304
. . . — Map (db m102942) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — First Hotel and Bath House in the Hot Springs Territory
Near this spot around the year 1790 stood the first hotel and bath house built in the Hot Springs Territory. To mark the site of the first permanent citizen, the host of this tavern, JOHN PERCIFUL, reputed to have been a revolutionary soldier. This . . . — Map (db m102954) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Hot Springs
After 1877 when the title to the springs was finally vested in the federal government by the Supreme Court, Congress began to take an active interest in the Hot Springs Reservation. In 1921 the Reservation officially became Hot Springs National Park. — Map (db m103164) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Hot Springs: The Birthplace of Spring BaseballThese Hall of Fame Inductees trained here or had significant connections to Hot Springs
Left Side Hot Spring's reputation as a health and recreation resort attracting the rich and famous was certainly true in the late 1800's and well into the 20th century. The city had fine hotels, lively nightclubs, a beautiful mountain . . . — Map (db m102952) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — First Site: Arkansas College of Medicine
. . . — Map (db m102763) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — Mount Diablo State Park
Welcome Heading to the top? Rising to 3,849 feet in elevation, Mount Diablo dominates the foothills and offers unobstructed views. Stand on its summit on a clear day and see over 200 miles in all directions; the Sierra Nevada to the east and past . . . — Map (db m103091) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — What Are Those Towers For?
Mount Diablo has always been a guide and landmark to people far bellow, and so it became a natural location for many radio and transmission towers as well. As early as 1928, the Standard Oil Company and U.S. Dept. of Commerce jointly . . . — Map (db m103092) HM
California (Inyo County), Stovepipe Wells — Road To Adventure
The first resort on this site, originally named “Bungalette City," was opened on November 1, 1926. Owned and operated by Herman William (Bob) and Helene Eichbaum, this resort was the first attempt to provide full scale tourist services in . . . — Map (db m103254) HM
California (Napa County), Yountville — Flags over California in 1870
In 1870, the year in which the Groezinger Winery (now Vintage 1870) was built, these flags: the California Bear flag (note how much more primitive in design it is in contrast with the present day version) and the American flag (then with 37 stars) . . . — Map (db m103540) HM
California (Napa County), Yountville — George Yount's Millstones
George Yount, American frontiersman, was born in North Carolina in 1794. When he was 10 years old Yount moved with his family to Missouri and in 1831 he came to California. Yount received a large tract of land in the Napa Valley from the Mexican . . . — Map (db m103536) HM
California (Napa County), Yountville — Groezinger WineryVintage 1870
This winery, once known as one of the finest cellars in the State, was erected by Mr. G. Groezinger in 1870. The winery stands on part of the original land grant made to Salvador Vallejo by the government of Mexico in 1838. Vintner Groezinger . . . — Map (db m103539) HM
California (Napa County), Yountville — Map of Groezinger's Addition
On March 7, 1874, the map of Groeziner's addition to Yountville was filed and recorded. This plaque is on a portion of "the lot plotted by G. Groezinger as a flower garden." Therefore it is dedicated in his memory. Yountville Firemen's Auxiliary . . . — Map (db m103537) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Luisa Tetrazzini
To Remember Christmas Eve • 1910 when Luisa Tetrazzini sang to the people of San Francisco on this spot — Map (db m103373) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — Chinese 1976 Bicentennial Monument
The Chinese community of Stockton dedicates this monument to the city of Stockton to commemorate the bicentennial year of 1976, in memory of the contributions which the Chinese have made to Stockton. The ingenuity of the Chinese . . . — Map (db m103083) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — Hand Hall
This building is dedicated to the memory of Clifford J. Hand Devoted teacher, administrator and friend whose many contributions to the progress of the University of the Pacific enriched the lives of the students, faculty and colleagues during . . . — Map (db m103027) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — José Maria Morelos y Pavón
En conmemoración del Bicentenario de la Independencia de México y el Centenario de la Revolución mexicana, el Gobierno de México, a través del Consulado General de México en Sacramento, con el invaluable apoyo de la Asociación Comerciantes Unidos, . . . — Map (db m103034) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — Ort J. Lofthus Crosstown Freeway
Ort J. Lofthus Crosstown Freeway This outstanding civic leader rejected the prospect that Stockton would settle for a ”freeway to nowhere.” He organized the FOCUS (Finish Our Crosstown-Unite Stockton) committee and motivated our . . . — Map (db m103087) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — Stockton Jewish Community Center
Jewish Community Center 1926 Stockton’s “Architect Laureate” Glen Allen designed this culturally important edifice. Built by Louis S. Peletz, it served the Stockton Jewish community and Temple Israel until 1964 when purchased by the . . . — Map (db m103028) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — Stockton Veterans Monument
WW I Gulf War 1990 to 1995 Dedicated To All Veterans By Veterans Luneta VFW Post 52 WW II Dedicated To The Veterans Of America Juky 5, 1981 Karl Ross Post 16 American Legion Korea . . . — Map (db m103033) WM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — Stockton Women Veterans Tree
With Eternal Gratitude This Beautiful Sequoia Tree Is Dedicated to Honor All The Women of Stockton And San Joaquin County Who Have So Admirably Served In The Armed Forces of The United States of America June, 1996 Stockton Women . . . — Map (db m103084) WM
California (San Luis Obispo County), Oceano — Dr. Rudolf W. Gerber Memorial Park
The Dr. Rudolf W. Gerber Memorial Park Known as “Oceano’s Country Doctor” from 1930 through the 1960’s, Dr. Gerber was an important source of Dunite and town history. The Dunites who lived in Oceano’s sand dunes were well-known by . . . — Map (db m103008) HM
California (San Luis Obispo County), Oceano — Oceano Depot
Oceano Depot 1904 This Southern Pacific Railroad Station was the center of most of the commercial and transportation activities in South San Luis Obispo county from 1904 until the 1950’s. Retired from service in 1975. It has been moved 400 yards . . . — Map (db m103007) HM
California (San Luis Obispo County), Oceano — Oceano Honor Roll
Honor Roll To The Eternal Memory Of Our Boys From Oceano California Who Gave Their Lives In World War II 1941 ★ 1945 Robert D. Altamarino · Lewis L. Brandt · George H. Crozier, Jr. · William F. Everding · Donald E. Giffith · Charles . . . — Map (db m103006) WM
California (San Luis Obispo County), Oceano — Southern Pacific Railroad Depot
Southern Pacific Railroad Depot Oceano, California 1896 - 1973 The Oceano Depot served as a focal point for transportation, tourism & real estate promotion in the South County from 1896 until the 1950's. The existing structure, a "Combination . . . — Map (db m103009) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Mountain View — Computer History Museum — IEEE Special Citation in Electrical Engineering and Computing
IEEE Special Citation In Electrical Engineering And Computing Computer History Museum, 1979 The Computer History Museum's mission is to preserve and present for posterity the artifacts and stories of the Information Age. The museum houses the . . . — Map (db m103090) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Mountain View — Shakey: The World's First Mobile Intelligent Robot, 1972 — IEEE Milestone In Electrical Engineering And Computing
IEEE Milestone In Electrical Engineering And Computing Shakey: The World's First Mobile Intelligent Robot, 1972 Stanford Research Institute's Artificial Intelligence Center developed the world's first mobile intelligent robot, Shakey. It could . . . — Map (db m103088) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Mountain View — Shenandoah Plaza
Shenandoah Plaza In Memory of the Fourteen Officers and men USS Shenandoah Lost September 3, 1925 Lord, guard and guide the men who fly through the great spaces in the sky. Be with them always in the air, in darkening storms or . . . — Map (db m103035) HM
California (Tulare County), Three River — Auto Log
Auto Log Base Diameter – 21 Feet Fell in 1917. Since then many types of vehicles have been photographed on this unusual log driveway. — Map (db m103308) HM
California (Tulare County), Three Rivers — Buttress Tree
Buttress Tree Length     272 ft. Base Diameter     20 ft. Estimated Age     2,300 yrs. Fell without warning June 3, 1959. The weather was clear with no wind. Sequoias lose their balance and fall when their shallow root systems are weakened by . . . — Map (db m103311) HM
California (Tulare County), Three Rivers — Call the Cavalry!
Shaping a Park Call the Cavalry! The Parker Group owes its name to a cavalry officer who commanded troops here in 1893. Why was the military here? Congress established Sequoia National Park in 1890, but the National Park Service did not exist . . . — Map (db m103432) HM
California (Tulare County), Three Rivers — Colonel Young: A Buffalo Soldier
Shaping a Park Colonel Young: A Buffalo Soldier The road to Moro Rock is part of the legacy of a young army officer who became America’s first black national park superintendent. Captain Charles Young, a West Point graduate, commanded the cavalry . . . — Map (db m103435) HM
California (Tulare County), Three Rivers — The CCC Boys
Shaping a Park The CCC Boys Tunnel Log reminds us of the work of young men who struggled to survive the Great Depression in the 1930s. The drive-through hole in the log was carved by the “boys” of the Civilian Conservation Corps . . . — Map (db m103433) HM
California (Tulare County), Three Rivers — The Naturalists
Shaping a Park The Naturalists Moro Rock is one of the places in Sequoia National Park where, in 1922, naturalists began “translating” the landscape for early park visitors. Naturalists offered walks, talks, and campfire programs . . . — Map (db m103434) HM
California (Ventura County), Oxnard — "La Jenelle"
Buried beneath this beach is the 467–foot hull of the “La Jenelle”. The luxury liner was driven aground at this site during a coastal storm on April 13, 1970. The State Lands Commission coordinated a joint federal, state and . . . — Map (db m102962) HM
California (Ventura County), Port Hueneme — Olive
Olive TD-9 International Harvester Tractor with Bucyrus Erie Blade International Harvester (IH) began manufacturing tractors in 1909. From 1939 to 1959, IH produced the TD-9 tractor. IH built 59,800 of these models, which it produced at it’s . . . — Map (db m103004) HM WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Hillbrook — National Training School for Women and Girls/ Nannie Helen BurroughsAfrican American Heritage Trail — 601 50th Street, NE
The National Training School for Women and Girls was founded here in 1909 by Nannie Helen Burroughs (1879 - 1961). With its focus on the “three B's” — “Bible, bath and broom” — the school taught skills such as . . . — Map (db m103272) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Mahaning Heights — 13 of 15 — “What Magic Has Been Wrought Here”A Self-Reliant People — Greater Deanwood Heritage Trail
On, May 18,1966, Crowds Gathered here to witness Lady Bird Johnson (1912-2007) rededicate eight acres of Watts Branch Park. “No one more than the residents of this area knows what magic has been wrought here at Watts . . . — Map (db m103271) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Penn Quarter — "Blodget's Hotel"
[The Great Seal of the United States] In 1800, the building erected on this site by Samuel Blodget was the scene of the first theatrical performance given in Washington. From 1812 to 1836 it sheltered the city post office and, for part of . . . — Map (db m103077) HM
Florida (Escambia County), Naval Air Station Pensacola — USS Essex (CV-9) Anchor
Stamped with its weight of 30,210 lb., this anchor was manufactured at the Norfolk Navy Yard in 1942 and installed on the aircraft carrier Essex (CV-9), which was commissioned the same year. This anchor was aboard the carrier until her . . . — Map (db m103263) HM WM
Florida (Flagler County), Palm Coast — F-950 — Levitt & I.T.T. "Del Mar" Model and Palm Coast Golf Club
The Levitt & International Telephone & Telegraph Corporation (I.T.T.) purchased 68,000 acres in 1969 for the development of a planned community. The site, named Palm Coast, offered numerous amenities, including a marina and golf course. Built in . . . — Map (db m103420) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Billy Graham Began Here
From the sidewalk in this Franklin St. neighborhood, the Rev. Dr. Billy Graham forty years ago launched his worldwide Christian evangelistic crusade, exhorting derelicts, drunks and "Skid Row" bums. Since then he has preached to more people than any . . . — Map (db m103245) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Hyde Park's Bungalow Terrace
Bungalow Terrace was developed by Alfred Swann and Eugene Holtsinger on what was Morrison Grove in 1913. The Bungalow Style home was modeled after the bungalows in California because of the low cost, adaptability, craftsmanship and low maintenance. . . . — Map (db m103198) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Officers Quarters Fort BrookeBrigadier General Zachary Taylor — (12th President of the United States)
. . . — Map (db m103266) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — F-877 — Perry Harvey, Sr., Park Skateboard Bowl
Under Mayor William Poe's direction, the Perry Harvey, Sr., Park Skateboard Bowl opened in 1979 as part of a recreational park for the Central Park Village community. As Florida's first municipal ride-at-your-own-risk skateboard facility, it offered . . . — Map (db m103246) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — F-850 — Tampa Confederate Salt Works
(side 1) Salt was an essential commodity during the Civil War because it was required for the preservation of meat and fish. When the Confederate states no longer had access to vital sources of salt in West Virginia and Louisiana, . . . — Map (db m103199) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — The West Tampa Boys Club
On this site, the West Tampa Boys Club was organized around 1923 at the Rosa Valdez Settlement, a Methodist mission. From 1926 until 1944, the club was a major project of the Tampa Rotary Club. Under leadership of E.S. "Pep" Krantz and Charles . . . — Map (db m103247) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Palma Sola Community Church
(Side 1) This historic non-denominational church, first known as "The Church in the Wildwood" because of location, was established and constructed in 1886 when Asa Pillsbury, Sr. donated land for a church, cemetery and school to trustees . . . — Map (db m102973) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Cortez — The Village of Cortez
(Side 1) Origin of the name CORTEZ cannot be proved but is thought to have begun with the inhabitants of a Spanish fishing "rancho" in this vicinity. The area was known as "Hunter's Point" to local residents until the 1880's. This is borne . . . — Map (db m102971) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — Mount Pleasant Baptist Church701 West South Street
This African American church was organized in 1919 and met in various locations, including a bush arbor constructed of poles covered with branches. In 1921, land was purchased at this corner for a permanent structure, which was completed in 1924. . . . — Map (db m102978) HM
Florida (Osceola County), St. Cloud — F-903 — Veterans Memorial Library
(Side 1) The Ladies Improvement Club of St. Cloud organized in 1910 for the betterment of the community through civic projects and the advocacy of literacy. The club established a small area in the Sugar Belt Railway depot for books and . . . — Map (db m102976) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St Augustine — Lighthouse and Keepers HouseLighthouse built 1871-1874, House built 1876
The St. Augustine Lighthouse began as a Spanish watchtower and is St. Augustine’s oldest brick structure. Rare proof exists of African Americans on site during its construction. The 1876 house includes an uncommon coquina basement that stored . . . — Map (db m103104) HM
Georgia, Fort Oglethorpe — MT-919 — Battery B, 1st Ohio Light Artillery MarkerCruft’s Brigade — Palmer's Division
Battery B. 1st Ohio Light Artillery. Cruft’s Brigade. 5:00 P.M. September 19, 1863. — Map (db m103565) HM
Georgia, Fort Oglethorpe — MT-928 — Battery F, 1st Ohio Light Artillery MarkerHazen’s Brigade — Palmer's Division
Battery F. 1st Ohio Light Artillery. Hazen’s Brigade. 5:oo P.M. September 19, 1863. — Map (db m103564) WM
Georgia, Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1149 — Deshler’s Brigade.Cleburne’s Division – Hill’s Corps.
Brig. Gen. James Deshler. Col. Roger Q. Mills. Sept. 20, 1863. 19th and 24th Arkansas Lieut. Col. A.S. Hutchinson 6th, 10th and 15th Texas Cavalry, Dismounted Col. Roger Q. Mills. • Lieut. Col. T. Scott Anderson. 15th and 18th . . . — Map (db m103681) HM
Georgia, Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1329 — Slocomb's Louisiana Battery4 Napoleons, 2 James. — Adams' Brigade, Breckinridge's Division, Hill's Corps.
September 20, 1863 Capt. Cuthbert H. Slocomb, Commanding 1st Lieut. W.D.C. Vaught 1st Lieut. J.A. Chalaron 2d Lieut. A.J. Leverich After a severe artillery duel with batteries of Negley's division near Glass' Mill about noon of the . . . — Map (db m103305) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — Baldwin County Veterans Memorial
Veterans Memorial "Flame of Freedom" Dedicated to the veterans of all wars from Milledgeville and Baldwin County on the occasion of the 50th Anniversary of the American Legion March 15, 1969 {Lower . . . — Map (db m103160) WM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — In Commemoration of Marquis De Lafayette
In Commemoration of Marquis De Lafayette and his visit to Georgia's Capital March 27-29, 1825. Monday March 28 a ball and supper were given in his honor in the State House and a barbecue was . . . — Map (db m103176) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — Milledgeville Confederate Monument
South(Front) CSA This tribute to the memory of the Confederate Soldier, unveiled April 26, 1912. West His heroism, in the presence of the conquering foe was equaled only by his . . . — Map (db m103412) WM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — L16 — State House Square"...pretty well ransacked and things torn up generally." — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
This 20-acre square as the center of Georgia's state government and location of its capitol building from 1807 until 1868. The "State House," imposing Gothic edifice that dominates the square contained the offices of the governor and the chambers of . . . — Map (db m103227) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — The Allen Strain
In grateful commemoration of the contribution to agriculture by Drs. Henry Dawson and Edwin Whitaker, Allen, Brothers, of Baldwin County, Georgia, in the discovery, improvement and dissemination, 1920-1940, . . . — Map (db m103162) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — L14 — The Old Governor's Mansion"Utmost Disorder and Confusion" — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
Construction of this Executive Mansion was authorized in 1835 and completed in 1839. The governor's earlier residence, Government House, just to the south on the corner of Clarke and Greene Streets, had fallen into disrepair. The Mansion is . . . — Map (db m103230) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Cowles-Bond HouseRailroads, Planters and Widow Bond — Georgia Civil War Heritage Trails
This impressive home was already more than a quarter century old when Union Major General James Harrison Wilson occupied it in 1865. It is a masterpiece of one of Macon's most notable early master-builders, Alexander Elam who designed this house for . . . — Map (db m103212) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Fort HawkinsThe Battle for Macon — Georgia Civil War Heritage Trails
During the early 1800s, Georgia grew through a series of treaties with the Creek Indians. After the Louisiana Purchase, President Thomas Jefferson authorized Benjamin Hawkins, Agent for Indian Affairs, to negotiate the 1805 treaty to expand Georgia . . . — Map (db m103214) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Macon Defensive FortificationsThe War Comes Home — Georgia Civil War Heritage Trails
Military earthworks, also variously called redoubts, lunettes, entrenchments and breastworks, have been used for centuries as points of lookout and defense. Early in the Civil War, soldiers learned to dig a simple trench behind an earthen parapet . . . — Map (db m103297) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Oak Ridge CemeteryEstablished 1840
Oak Ridge Cemetery, also a part of Rose Hill Cemetery, was set aside for Negro slave burials of many prominent Macon families. Many affluent descendants of slaves such as doctors, teachers, and businessmen are also buried here. — Map (db m103153) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Oak Ridge Cemetery1840 to 1865
Macon native Simri Rose, for whom Rose Hill Cemetery is named, established these grounds in 1840. Rose set aside ten acres of the property for slave owners to purchase and bury enslaved people and to bury city-owned enslaved people. On September 12, . . . — Map (db m103166) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Oak Ridge Cemetery1866 To Present
After the Civil War, the three distinct sections present in Oak Ridge today began to form. In addition to the antebellum and Civil War burials of enslaved people, a portion of Oak Ridge was sold to William Wolff in 1879 as a burial ground for Temple . . . — Map (db m103179) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Unknown, But Not Forgotten
Before you are the known graves of almost 1,000 people who died enslaved. Despite the enormous number of people who died in slavery in the United States, the burial sites of only a small number of the enslaved are known. Oak Ridge Cemetery is . . . — Map (db m103177) HM
Georgia (Burke County), Midville — R18 — Pine Barren CrossroadsA Junction of Sherman's Right Wing — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
This Native American trail crossing at Georgia Highway 56 (itself a 19th century road) was a major route in colonial times. It is named the "Old Savannah Road." Starting in Savannah, it crossed the Ogeechee River, running west and south of it, then . . . — Map (db m103274) HM
Georgia (Burke County), Waynesboro — Ivanhoe Plantation1765
Ivanhoe Plantation was established in 1765 by a Crown Grant to Thomas Whitehead from King George III of England. The plantation is located 3 or 4 miles east of Waynesboro, Georgia and 15 miles along Brier Creek going down stream. The grant . . . — Map (db m103303) HM
Georgia (Burke County), Waynesboro — L24 — Skirmish at Ivanhoe PlantationCatharine Whitehead Rowland's Diary — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
This land is part of the former Ivanhoe Plantation property of the Whitehead family. The plantations home was located near the northeast corner of the Quaker road and the Walker Bridge road (Story Mill Road). A diary kept by 26-year-old Catharine . . . — Map (db m103374) HM
Georgia (Burke County), Waynesboro — L25 — The J.D. Roberts HomeA Witness to the Battles for Waynesborough — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
Built about 1858 in the Georgian Cottage style as a home for J. D. Roberts, the house was designed by noted architect John Trowbridge. Subsequent occupants have included a doctor's office, millinery shop and county museum. In late 1864 the house . . . — Map (db m103299) HM
Georgia (Butts County), Jackson — R5 — Jackson"Little was left besides themselves and their houses." — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
Jackson, seat of Butts County, "was a beautiful little place and evidently occupied by the most prosperous people of that region. Those descriptive words were penned by Union Major Thomas W Osborn, Chief of Artillery of Major General Oliver O. . . . — Map (db m103197) HM
Georgia (Butts County), Jackson — Sylvan Grove Plantation
Sylvan Grove Hospital site was originally part of a large colonial cotton plantation known as Sylvan Grove Plantation. This plantation was settled in 1817 by Williams Buttrill, Revolutionary soldier and aide to General George Washington. He was the . . . — Map (db m103191) HM
Georgia (Butts County), Jackson — R4 — Sylvan Grove PlantationColonel Spencer's Kindness — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
In 1864, Sylvan Grove Plantation was located just outside Jackson. Its owner, Asa Buttrill, built an impressive 14-room plantation house in the 1830s for his bride, Lucy Manley. The house stood slightly south of the large stone covering a wellspring . . . — Map (db m103196) HM
Georgia (Camden County), St Marys — Clark-Berssant House
In this house Aaron Burr fleeing after duel with Alexander Hamilton, and later General Winfield Scott returning from Indian campaign in Florida, were entertained by Major Archibald Clark. W.P.A. 1936. — Map (db m103543) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-892 — 11th Michigan InfantryStanley's Brigade — Negley's Division
Eleventh Michigan Infantry Afternoon September 19, 1863 — Map (db m103436) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-724 — 123rd Illinois Infantry Monument1st Brigade – Wilder. — 4th Division - Reynolds.
Illinois 123 Infantry. 1st Brigade – Wilder. 4th Division - Reynolds. 14th Army Corps - Thomas. Text on the Back Side of the Monument The plaque is missing — Map (db m103438) HM WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1036 — 124th Ohio InfantryHazen's Brigade — Palmer's Division
124th. Regiment Ohio Infantry, Hazen's Brigade. 8:00 A.M. to 3:00 P.M. September 20, 1863. — Map (db m103634) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1075 — 1st Wisconsin Infantry2nd Brigade — 1st Division
Text on the Front Side of the Monument: 1st. Wisconsin Infantry. 2nd. Brigade. 1st. Division. 14th. Corps. Text on the Back Side of the Monument: This regiment, Lieutenant Colonel . . . — Map (db m103570) HM WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-942 — 20th Battery, Ohio Light ArtilleryDodge’s Brigade, Johnson’s Division
(front) 20th. Independent Battery, O.L.A., Dodge’s Brigade, Johnson’s Division, 20th Army Corps. (rear) This battery Capt. Edward Grosskopff commanding, with its brigade was held in reserve on Sept. 19th, 1863, till . . . — Map (db m103734) HM WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-941 — 20th Battery, Ohio Light Artillery.4 3” Rifles, 2 Napoleons.
20th Battery, Ohio Light Artillery. 4 3” Rifles, 2 Napoleons. Dodge’s Brigade, Johnson’s Division, McCook’s Corps. September 20, 1863. Capt. Edward Grosskopff, Commanding. The Battery remained in the rear of the . . . — Map (db m103737) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-812 — 44th Indiana Infantry Regiment MarkerSecond Brigade. (Dick) — Third Division. (Van Cleve)
. . . — Map (db m103440) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-846 — 86th Indiana Infantry Regiment MarkerSecond Brigade. (Col. Dick) — Third Division. (Van Cleve)
Indiana Eighty-Sixth Regiment Infantry (Major Dick) Second Brigade. (Col. Dick) Third Division. (Van Cleve) Twenty-First Corps. (Crittenden) Friday night, September 18th, 1863 — Map (db m103439) HM WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1253 — Florida Monument
(West side) This monument has been erected in memory of the soldiers of the State of Florida who took part in the battle fought here September 19-20, 1863 whether they fell in battle or lived to render further services to their state and . . . — Map (db m103192) WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-720 — Illinois - 104th Infantry
(Front) Illinois 104th Infantry. 1st Brigade—John Beatty. 2nd Division—Negley. 14th Army Corps—Thomas. (Back) Commanded by Lt. Col. Douglas Hapeman. Sept. 20 - 1863. 8:30 A.M. To 9:30 A.M. . . . — Map (db m103062) WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1188 — Liddell's BrigadeLiddell's Division — Walker's Corps
Liddell's Brigade Liddell's Division, Walker's Corps. Colonel Daniel C. Govan. September 19, 1863, 3 p.m. 2nd and 5th Arkansas, - Lieutenant Colonel Reuben E. Harvey. 2nd and 5th Arkansas, - Captain A. T. Meek 5th and 13th . . . — Map (db m103155) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1189 — Liddell's Brigade.Liddell’s Division, Walker’s Corps.
Col. Daniel C. Govan. Sept. 20, 1863, 12:30 P.M. 2nd and 15th Arkansas, Lieut. Col. Rubin F. Harvey. 5th and 13th Arkansas, Lieut. Col. John E. Murray. 6th and 7th Arkansas, Lieut. Col. Peter Snyder. 8th Arkansas and 1st Louisiana, . . . — Map (db m103310) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1190 — Liddell's Brigade.Liddell’s Division, Walker’s Corps.
Col. Daniel C. Govan. Sept. 20, 1863, 5:30 P.M. 2nd and 15th Arkansas, Lieut. Col. Rubin F. Harvey. Capt. A. T. Meek. 5th and 13th Arkansas, Lieut. Col. John E. Murray. 6th and 7th Arkansas, Lieut. Col. Peter Snyder. 8th Arkansas and 1st . . . — Map (db m103317) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-528 — Sheridan's DivisionMcCook's Corps — Major General Philip H. Sheridan
Sheridan's Division - McCook's Corps. Major. General Philip H. Sheridan. September 20, 1863, 7 p.m. 1st Brigade - Colonel Silas Miller 2nd Brigade - Colonel Bernard Laiboldt 3rd Brigade - Colonel Nathan H. Walworth . . . — Map (db m103121) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Ringgold — MT-886 — 4th Michigan CavalryMinty's Brigade — Crook's Division
Fourth Michigan Cavalry September 18th, 1863, 4 p.m. Map (db m103178) HM

717 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 517
Paid Advertisement