Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

282 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 82
 
Wideview of Captain Samuel Anderson Marker image, Touch for more information
By Kevin Craft, May 19, 2017
Wideview of Captain Samuel Anderson Marker
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry counties), Cornwall — Captain Samuel Anderson1736-1836
On Montreal Road (County Highway 2) 0.5 kilometers east of Dunbar Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
This property formed part of the extensive lands granted to Capt. Samuel Anderson, U.E.L., one of the first persons to settle on the site of Cornwall. Born in New England of Irish parents, he served with the British forces during the Seven Years . . . — Map (db m103604) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry counties), Cornwall — Cornwall Canal
On Water Street West (County Highway 2) 0.1 kilometers west of Pitt Street, on the right when traveling east.
The Cornwall Canal was one of eight canals that connected western Canada with the ocean by way of the Great Lakes and the St. Lawrence River. Constructed in 1834–1842 to overcome the rapids of the Long Sault, it was enlarged several times . . . — Map (db m103668) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry counties), Cornwall — Cornwall Grammar School
On Sydney Street 0.1 kilometers north of Fourth Street East, on the right when traveling north.
Cornwall Collegiate and Vocational School traces its beginning to an educational institution founded by John Strachan in 1803. Strachan, an Anglican priest, opened a private school in his home where he hoped to educate young men to take on leading . . . — Map (db m103613) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry counties), Cornwall — Inverarden
On Montreal Road (County Highway 2) 0.5 kilometers west of Boundary Road, on the right when traveling west.
This house, built in 1816, is a fine early example of Regency architecture and its interior is a pleasing expression of Georgian symmetry with excellent detailing. In a wooded setting and commanding an impressive view, this was a fitting home for a . . . — Map (db m103603) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry counties), Cornwall — Lieutenant-Colonel John Macdonell(Aberchalder) — c. 1750-1809
On County Highway 2 at Stonehouse Point Road, on the right when traveling east on County Highway 2.
Born in Scotland, Macdonell came to New York in 1773. Commissioned ensign in the Royal Highland Emigrants (84th Regiment) in June 1775 and later transferred to Butler's Rangers, Macdonell served with distinction until 1784 when he settled with his . . . — Map (db m103602) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry counties), Cornwall — Right Reverend John Strachan1778-1867
On Sydney Street 0.1 kilometers north of Fourth Street East, on the right when traveling north.
Born in Scotland, Strachan came to Kingston in 1799. Ordained in 1803, he became rector of Cornwall and taught at its grammar school until named rector of York in 1812. In 1839 he was made the first Anglican Bishop of Toronto. A central figure in . . . — Map (db m103614) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry counties), Cornwall — The Founding of Cornwall
On Water Street West (County Highway 2) 0.1 kilometers west of Pitt Street, on the right when traveling east.
In June 1784 disbanded Loyalist soldiers and their families settled at new Johnstown, the site of present-day Cornwall. Initially called Pointe Maligne, the area had been visited by native traders and French missionaries and explorers during the . . . — Map (db m103632) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry counties), Cornwall — The French Presence in Cornwall
On Montreal Road (County Highway 2) 0.2 kilometers west of McConnell Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
A vital cultural force in Eastern Ontario, the Franco-Ontarian community in Cornwall was established during the late 1870s when large-scale industrial expansion led to an influx of workers and tradesmen from Québec. By 1881 French-speaking . . . — Map (db m103610) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry counties), Cornwall — The Glengarry Fencibles
On Fourth Street East 0.1 kilometers east of Marlborough Street North, on the left when traveling east.
The regiment of Glengarry Light Infantry Fencibles was raised in 1811–12 largely from among the Highland settlers of this region, many of whom had served previously in Europe with the Glengarry (British Highland) Fencibles. The Canadian corps . . . — Map (db m103612) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry counties), Cornwall — The Rev. John Strachan in Cornwall
On Second Street West 0.1 kilometers west of Augustus Street, on the right when traveling west.
This pioneer clergyman, legislator and teacher was born in 1778 in Aberdeen, Scotland, and in 1799 came to Kingston as a tutor. In 1803, after entering the Church of England, he was ordained and appointed missionary at Cornwall. Here in . . . — Map (db m103641) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry counties), Cornwall — War of 1812St. John's Presbyterian Church
On Second Street East 0.1 kilometers east of Pitt Street, on the right when traveling east.
Founded in 1787 by the well known Scot, the Reverend John Bethune, St. John's Presbyterian Church and its people played an important role in the preservation of Canadian land and territorial claim during the war of 1812. Their first church building . . . — Map (db m103631) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry counties), South Glengarry — "Cariboo" Cameron1820-1888
On County Highway 2 0.2 kilometers west of Summerstown Road (County Highway 27), on the right when traveling west.
Born in this township, John Angus "Cariboo" Cameron married Margaret Sophia Groves in 1860. Accompanied by his wife and daughter, he went to British Columbia in 1862 to prospect in the Cariboo gold fields. That year at Williams Creek he struck a . . . — Map (db m103594) HM
Guatemala, Chimaltenango (Municipality of Chimaltenango) — Chimaltenango Memorial to the Victims of Guatemala's Armed Conflict
Near Calle Real at 1a Avenida.
En memoria de los miles y miles de mártires que lucharon por la paz con justicia social del pueblo maya kaqchikel y no maya que fueron: secuestrados, desaparecidos, torturados, masacrados y asesinados por las fuerzas represivas de los últimos 36 . . . — Map (db m103566) HM WM
Guatemala, Chimaltenango (Municipality of Chimaltenango) — General Justo Rufino Barrios
On Calle Real just east of 1a Avenida, on the right when traveling east.
1885 al 1986 General Justo Rufino Barrios Reformador de Guatemala en el 101 aniversario de su muerte Guatemala, 2 de abril de 1986 Zona Militar No. 3, “La Alameda, Chimaltenango” Municipalidad de Chimaltenango, 1986 SMG English . . . — Map (db m103557) HM
Guatemala, Chimaltenango (Municipality of Chimaltenango) — José Simeon Cañas
Near Calle Real at 1a Avenida.
Parque Jose Simeon Cañas Chimaltenango a su egregio diputado padre de la abolición de la esclavitud en Centro America, en dic. de 1823 1957 English translation: José Simeón Cañas Park Chimaltenango to its outstanding Congressman, Father of . . . — Map (db m103568) HM
Guatemala, Sacatepéquez (Municipality of Antigua Guatemala), Aldea San Juan del Obispo — José Luis de León Diaz
Por qué se empeña la muerte en matar vanamente a la vida si la más humilde semilla rompe la piedra más fuerte Luis de León. José Luis de León Diaz, Nombre literario: Luis de León, Escritor, Novelista Cuentista. Nacido en San Juan del Obispo el 19 . . . — Map (db m103528) HM
Guatemala, Sacatepéquez (Municipality of Antigua Guatemala), Antigua Guatemala — Las Delicias Fountain
On 4a Calle Oriente, on the right when traveling east.
El Comité del Barrio de la Concepcion En el quinto aniversario de su fundacion declara patrimonio histórico del barrio "Fuente de las Delicias" construida el año 1620 Santiago de Guatemala La Antigua Guatemala 7 de diciembre de 1995 English . . . — Map (db m103524) HM
Guatemala, Sacatepéquez (Municipality of Sumpango), Sumpango — Tree of Saint Peter
Near 0 Avenida just north of 2a Calle.
Árbol de Santo Hermano Pedro Nombre: Esquisuchil Nombre científico: Bourreira Huanita Familia: Boraginaceae Altura promedio: 9 Metros Sembrado el 21 de Agosto de 2016 Es un Brote Natural del árbol plantado por el Santo Hermano Pedro de San . . . — Map (db m103571) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — Angel Albino Corzo
On Paseo de la Reforma, on the right when traveling west.
Angel Albino Corzo 1816-1875 Nacio en Chiapas; inicio sus actividades politicas en 1845 como Presidente Municipal de su pueblo natal del que posteriormente fue Prefecto Político, Tesorero General, Diputado y Gobernador de la entidad. De ideas . . . — Map (db m103390) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — Chapel of the Immaculate Conception of the Waterfall
On Eje Central Lázaro Cárdenas at José María Izazaga, on the right when traveling north on Eje Central Lázaro Cárdenas.
Capilla de la Inmaculada Concepción del Salto del Agua. Erigida en el siglo XVIII perteneció a la cofradía de la Purísima Concepción. Con la ampliación de la Avenida del Salto del Agua en 1935 quedó aislada. English translation:Chapel . . . — Map (db m103430) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — Chapel of the Marquis of Salvatierra
On Avenida República de El Salvador, on the right when traveling west.
Capilla del Marqués de Salvatierra o Templo de San Agustín, capilla del antiguo Convento de San Agustín. Actualmente pertenece a la Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México. English translation: Chapel of the Marquis of Salvatierra . . . — Map (db m103467) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — Concepción Béistegui Hospital
Near Calle Regina just east of Calle Bolivar.
En lo que fuera el Convento de Regina Coeli se encuentra esta Casa Hogar para Ancianos que por más de 90 años albergó al Hospital Concepción Béistegui. English translation:In part of what was once the Convent of Regina Coeli is found this . . . — Map (db m103427) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — Francisco Primo de Verdad y Ramos
On Calle José María Pino Suárez at Avenida República de El Salvador, on the right when traveling south on Calle José María Pino Suárez.
Francisco Primo de Verdad y Ramos 1760 1808 Sindico del Ayuntamiento de la Ciudad de Mexico Precursor de la Independencia Ofrendo la vida para sostener el principio de que la soberanía de la Nacion radica en el Pueblo English . . . — Map (db m103470) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — Hotel de la Gran Sociedad
On Calle 16 de Septiembre just west of Calle Isabel la Católica, on the right when traveling west.
Aquí estuvo el Hotel de la Gran Sociedad en donde fué asesinado Don Juan de Dios Canedo 29 de marzo de 1850. Catálogo de la Insp. Gral. de Monumentos Artísticos e Históricos. English translation: Here was located the Hotel de la Gran . . . — Map (db m103448) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — House of José y Francisco Fagoaga y Villaurruña
On Calle 16 de Septiembre just west of Calle Isabel la Católica, on the left when traveling west.
Aquí vivieron Don José y Don Francisco Fagoaga y Villaurruña benefactores de escuelas y hospitales 1800 Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República English translation: Here lived José y Francisco Fagoaga y Villaurruña, . . . — Map (db m103449) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — House of Pedro Romero de Terreros
On Avenida República de El Salvador just east of Calle Bolívar, on the right when traveling east.
Esta fue la casa de Don Pedro Romero de Terreros Conde de Regla fundador del Monte de Piedad, reedificada en 1928. 1768. Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República English translation: This was the house of Pedro Romero de . . . — Map (db m103450) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — Jesús Terán
On Paseo de la Reforma, on the right when traveling east.
Jesus Teran 1821-1866 Nacio en la ciudad de Aguascalientes, Fundador y Director del Instituto Cientifico y Literario. Fue Gobernador de su estado natal; Secretario de Gobernacion en 1857 y de Relaciones Exteriores en 1862. Fundo la Revista . . . — Map (db m103386) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — Juan de la Granja
On Calle José María Pino Suárez, on the left when traveling south.
En esta casa hizo Juan de la Granja los primeros experimentos de Telégrafia realizados en México. 1850. Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República. English translation: In this house Juan de la Granja performed the first . . . — Map (db m103491) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — Palace of the Counts of San Mateo Valparaiso
On Calle Isabel la Católica just north of Calle de Venustiano Carranza, on the right when traveling north.
Esta casa (hoy reconstruida) fue de los Condes de San Mateo Valparaiso construida en 1769-1772 por el Maestro de Arquitectura Francisco Guerrero Torres. Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República. English translation:This house . . . — Map (db m103447) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — Parish of Our Lady of Lourdes
On Calle Bolivar, on the right when traveling south.
Parroquia de Nuestra Señora de Lourdes. Fue construida en el siglo XVIII, formó parte del Antiguo Colegio de las Doncellas de Nuestra Señora de la Caridad, conocido como Colegio de Niñas, institución franciscana para niñas huérfanas mestizas y . . . — Map (db m103413) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — Plaza of the Tree of the Night of Sorrows
On Calzada México-Tacuba at Calle Mar Blanco, on the right when traveling east on Calzada México-Tacuba.
Plaza el Árbol de la Noche Triste El 30 de junio de 1520, mientras los mexicas sepultaban al Emperador Moctezuma y asignaban a Cuitlahuac como su sucesor, Cortes preparo su salida por la Calzada del Tepeyac, al no partir de inmediato dio . . . — Map (db m103492) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — Stela E of Quiriguá
Near Paseo de la Reforma.
Estela E de Quiriguá (Reproducción) Quiriguá se localiza sobre el valle del río Motagua, que nace cerca de la ciudad de Guatemala y desemboca en el Golfo de Honduras. Su trayecto favoreció el comercio de obsidiana y jadeíta . . . — Map (db m103520) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — Temple of San Hipólito y Casiano
On Calle Zarco.
Templo de San Hipólito y Casiano. Fue erigido en el siglo XVII en el sitio ocupado antes por la Ermita de los Mártires del siglo XVI construida en memoria de los españoles caídos en la batalla que precedió a la Noche Triste durante la conquista . . . — Map (db m103391) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — The Church and Convent of Regina Coeli
Near Calle Regina just east of Calle Bolivar.
Templo de Regina Coeli reedificado en el siglo XVIII como parte del Convento del mismo nombre siendo la segunda fundación concepcionista en la Nueva España. English translation: The Church of Regina Coeli rebuilt in the 18th century as . . . — Map (db m103429) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — The Golden Rooster Bar
On Calle Bolivar, on the left when traveling south.
El Gallo de Oro ha servido a la comunidad desde 1874 El Gobierno de la Ciudad de Mexico conmemora con esta placa ese esfuerzo de 116 años Ciudad de México, 1990 English translation: The Golden Rooster Bar has served the community . . . — Map (db m103415) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — The Hill of the StarEl Cerro de la Estrella
Near Camino Cerro de la Estrella.
Cerro de la EstrellaNombre con el que se le conoce desde la Época Colonial por su cercanía con el Manantial de la Estrella. En la Época Prehispánica tuvo varias denominaciones: “hombre como ánima del cerro de los huizaches”, . . . — Map (db m103495) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — The House of Juan Altamirano
On Calle José María Pino Suárez at Avenida República de El Salvador, on the left when traveling south on Calle José María Pino Suárez.
Aquí estuvo la casa del Lic. Juan Altamirano primo de Cortés fue reconstruida por los Condes de Santiago de Calimaya en 1779. Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República. English translation: Here was the house of Juan . . . — Map (db m103469) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — The National Anthropology Museum of Mexico
Near Avenida Grutas at Paseo de la Reforma.
Museo Nacional de Antropologia. Tiene sus inicios en 1825 cuando el Presidente Guadalupe Victoria crea el Museo Nacional de Historia coleccionando objetos arquelogicos y documentos prehispánicos. Sufriendo posteriormente cambios debidos a los . . . — Map (db m103496) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — The Novitiate of the Convent of Saint Augustine
On Avenida República de El Salvador, on the right when traveling east.
Aquí estuvo el noviciado del Convento de San Agustin comunicado por un arco a través de la calle. 1575-1823 Direccion de monumentos coloniales y de la República. English translation: Here was the novitiate of the Convent of Saint . . . — Map (db m103468) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — Vicente Guerrero
Near Calle San Fernando just from Avenida Hidalgo.
Vicente Guerrero Mantuvo el fuego de la Guerra de Independencia Fue sacrificado el 14 de Febrero de 1831 Vivir por la Patria o Morir por la Libertad English translation: Vicente Guerrero He maintained the fire of the War of . . . — Map (db m103393) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Muncipality of Allende), San Miguel de Allende — The Ceremonial Avenue
Near Route 67.
Calzada ceremonial El acceso principal al centro cívico ceremonial en época prehispánica se realizaba a traves de una gran calzada de casi un kilómetro de longitud y entre 13 y 17 metros de ancho. Ésta se diseño con un trazo de oriente a . . . — Map (db m103572) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Allende), San Miguel de Allende — A Ceremonial Centre in the Laja River Basin
Near Route 67.
Cañada de la Virgen: un centro cívico ceremonial en la cuenca de río Laja En la epoca prehispánica Cañada de la Virgen fue un centro cívico ceremonial que alcanzó su mayor desarrollo durante los años 540 a 1050 d.C., sin que a la fecha haya . . . — Map (db m103640) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Tierra Blanca), Tierra Blanca — Miguel Hidalgo
On Calle Hidalgo at Calle 5 de Mayo, on the left when traveling north on Calle Hidalgo.
1753 1953 Loor eterno al Padre de la Patria Hidalgo English translation: 1753 - 1953 Eternal tribute to the Father of the Nation Hidalgo
Map (db m103522) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Victoria), Victoria — Father Juan González Zarate
On Calle Libertad, on the right when traveling east.
A la santa memoria del Sr. Cura Pbro. Don Juan Gonzalez Zarate, Fundador de la Congregacion de Hermanos de Santa Maria de Guadalupe y San Isidro Labrador. e insigne benefactor de esta parroquia de San Juan Bautista en donde tuvo especial . . . — Map (db m103525) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Victoria), Victoria — Miguel Hidalgo
On Calle Libertad, on the left when traveling east.
Por acuerdo del H. Ayuntamiento 1967-1969 se erigio este monumento al Padre de la Patria Don Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla siendo Presidente Municipal el C. Simon Amador Mata Villa Victoria, Gto., diciembre de 1969 English translation: . . . — Map (db m103527) HM
California (Napa County), Yountville — Flags over California in 1870
Near Washington Street near Yount Street, on the left when traveling north.
In 1870, the year in which the Groezinger Winery (now Vintage 1870) was built, these flags: the California Bear flag (note how much more primitive in design it is in contrast with the present day version) and the American flag (then with 37 stars) . . . — Map (db m103540) HM
California (Napa County), Yountville — George Yount's Millstones
Near Washington Street at Yount Street, on the right when traveling north.
George Yount, American frontiersman, was born in North Carolina in 1794. When he was 10 years old Yount moved with his family to Missouri and in 1831 he came to California. Yount received a large tract of land in the Napa Valley from the Mexican . . . — Map (db m103536) HM
California (Napa County), Yountville — Groezinger WineryVintage 1870
Near Washington Street near Yount Street, on the left when traveling north.
This winery, once known as one of the finest cellars in the State, was erected by Mr. G. Groezinger in 1870. The winery stands on part of the original land grant made to Salvador Vallejo by the government of Mexico in 1838. Vintner Groezinger . . . — Map (db m103539) HM
California (Napa County), Yountville — Map of Groezinger's Addition
On Washington Street at Yount Street when traveling north on Washington Street.
On March 7, 1874, the map of Groeziner's addition to Yountville was filed and recorded. This plaque is on a portion of "the lot plotted by G. Groezinger as a flower garden." Therefore it is dedicated in his memory. Yountville Firemen's Auxiliary . . . — Map (db m103537) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Luisa Tetrazzini
On Market Street near Kearny Street.
To Remember Christmas Eve • 1910 when Luisa Tetrazzini sang to the people of San Francisco on this spot — Map (db m103373) HM
California (Tulare County), Three Rivers — Call the Cavalry!
On Crescent Meadow Road 1.4 miles south of Generals Hwy, on the left when traveling south.
Shaping a Park Call the Cavalry! The Parker Group owes its name to a cavalry officer who commanded troops here in 1893. Why was the military here? Congress established Sequoia National Park in 1890, but the National Park Service did not exist . . . — Map (db m103432) HM
California (Tulare County), Three Rivers — Colonel Young: A Buffalo Soldier
On Crescent Meadow Road 0.9 miles from Generals Hwy, on the left when traveling south.
Shaping a Park Colonel Young: A Buffalo Soldier The road to Moro Rock is part of the legacy of a young army officer who became America’s first black national park superintendent. Captain Charles Young, a West Point graduate, commanded the cavalry . . . — Map (db m103435) HM
California (Tulare County), Three Rivers — The CCC Boys
On Crescent Meadow Road 1.7 miles south of Generals Hwy, on the left when traveling south.
Shaping a Park The CCC Boys Tunnel Log reminds us of the work of young men who struggled to survive the Great Depression in the 1930s. The drive-through hole in the log was carved by the “boys” of the Civilian Conservation Corps . . . — Map (db m103433) HM
California (Tulare County), Three Rivers — The Naturalists
Near Crescent Meadow Road 1.6 miles south of Generals Hwy, on the left when traveling south.
Shaping a Park The Naturalists Moro Rock is one of the places in Sequoia National Park where, in 1922, naturalists began “translating” the landscape for early park visitors. Naturalists offered walks, talks, and campfire programs . . . — Map (db m103434) HM
Florida (Flagler County), Palm Coast — F-950 — Levitt & I.T.T. "Del Mar" Model and Palm Coast Golf Club
On Clark Lane at Cooper Lane, on the left when traveling west on Clark Lane.
The Levitt & International Telephone & Telegraph Corporation (I.T.T.) purchased 68,000 acres in 1969 for the development of a planned community. The site, named Palm Coast, offered numerous amenities, including a marina and golf course. Built in . . . — Map (db m103420) HM
Georgia, Fort Oglethorpe — MT-919 — Battery B, 1st Ohio Light Artillery MarkerCruft’s Brigade — Palmer's Division
Near Glenn-Kelly Road north of Dyer Road, on the right when traveling north.
Battery B. 1st Ohio Light Artillery. Cruft’s Brigade. 5:00 P.M. September 19, 1863. — Map (db m103565) HM
Georgia, Fort Oglethorpe — MT-928 — Battery F, 1st Ohio Light Artillery MarkerHazen’s Brigade — Palmer's Division
Near Glenn-Kelly Road north of Dyer Road, on the right when traveling north.
Battery F. 1st Ohio Light Artillery. Hazen’s Brigade. 5:oo P.M. September 19, 1863. — Map (db m103564) WM
Georgia, Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1149 — Deshler’s Brigade.Cleburne’s Division – Hill’s Corps.
Near Battleline Road 0.5 miles south of Alexander Bridge Road, on the left when traveling south.
Brig. Gen. James Deshler. Col. Roger Q. Mills. Sept. 20, 1863. 19th and 24th Arkansas • Lieut. Col. A.S. Hutchinson 6th, 10th and 15th Texas Cavalry, Dismounted • Col. Roger Q. Mills. • Lieut. Col. T. Scott Anderson. 15th and 18th Texas . . . — Map (db m103669) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — Milledgeville Confederate Monument
On South Jefferson Street near East Greene Street, in the median.
South(Front) CSA This tribute to the memory of the Confederate Soldier, unveiled April 26, 1912. West His heroism, in the presence of the conquering foe was equaled only by his . . . — Map (db m103412) WM
Georgia (Burke County), Waynesboro — L24 — Skirmish at Ivanhoe PlantationCatharine Whitehead Rowland's Diary — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
On West Quaker Road 1.9 miles west of Cohen Road, on the right when traveling west.
This land is part of the former Ivanhoe Plantation property of the Whitehead family. The plantations home was located near the northeast corner of the Quaker road and the Walker Bridge road (Story Mill Road). A diary kept by 26-year-old Catharine . . . — Map (db m103374) HM
Georgia (Camden County), St Marys — Clark-Berssant House
On Osborne Street, on the right.
In this house Aaron Burr fleeing after duel with Alexander Hamilton, and later General Winfield Scott returning from Indian campaign in Florida, were entertained by Major Archibald Clark. W.P.A. 1936. — Map (db m103543) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-892 — 11th Michigan InfantryStanley's Brigade — Negley's Division
Near Lafayette Road, on the right when traveling south.
Eleventh Michigan Infantry Afternoon September 19, 1863 — Map (db m103436) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-724 — 123rd Illinois Infantry Monument1st Brigade – Wilder. — 4th Division - Reynolds.
Near Viniard Road east of Lafayette Road, on the right when traveling east.
Illinois 123 Infantry. 1st Brigade – Wilder. 4th Division - Reynolds. 14th Army Corps - Thomas. Text on the Back Side of the Monument The plaque is missing — Map (db m103438) HM WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1036 — 124th Ohio InfantryHazen's Brigade — Palmer's Division
On Battleline Road south of Alexanders Bridge Road, on the right when traveling south.
124th. Regiment Ohio Infantry, Hazen's Brigade. 8:00 A.M. to 3:00 P.M. September 20, 1863. — Map (db m103634) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1075 — 1st Wisconsin Infantry2nd Brigade — 1st Division
On Battleline Road south of Alexander Bridge Road, on the right when traveling south.
Text on the Front Side of the Monument: 1st. Wisconsin Infantry. 2nd. Brigade. 1st. Division. 14th. Corps. Text on the Back Side of the Monument: This regiment, Lieutenant Colonel . . . — Map (db m103570) HM WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-812 — 44th Indiana Infantry Regiment MarkerSecond Brigade. (Dick) — Third Division. (Van Cleve)
Near Viniard Road east of Lafayette Road, on the right when traveling east.
. . . — Map (db m103440) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-846 — 86th Indiana Infantry Regiment MarkerSecond Brigade. (Col. Dick) — Third Division. (Van Cleve)
Near Viniard Road east of Lafayette Road, on the right when traveling east.
Indiana Eighty-Sixth Regiment Infantry (Major Dick) Second Brigade. (Col. Dick) Third Division. (Van Cleve) Twenty-First Corps. (Crittenden) Friday night, September 18th, 1863 — Map (db m103439) HM WM
Georgia (Henry County), McDonough — The Huey UH-1H Was the Work Horse of Vietnam
Near Heritage Park Trail north of Lake Dow Road.
This Huey UH-1H model 205 Serial Number 72-21481 was manufactured by Bell Helicopter in 1972. The helicopter was placed in service at Fort Rucker, Ozark, Alabama as the commanding General's Helicopter. The helicopter was in military service until . . . — Map (db m103410) HM
Georgia (Washington County), Sandersville — Washington County Korean War Memorial
Near West Haynes Street at Stacer Avenue.
Dedicated to the Men and Women of Washington County who served our country with honor during the Korean War June 27, 1950 January 31, 1955 {Honor Roll on Left and right panels of those who . . . — Map (db m103379) WM
Georgia (Washington County), Sandersville — Washington County Viet Nam War Monument
Near West Haynes Street at Stacer Avenue.
. . . — Map (db m103377) WM
Georgia (Washington County), Sandersville — Washington County World War I Monument
On Stacer Avenue at West Haynes Street, on the left when traveling north on Stacer Avenue.
In Sacred Memory of the men of Washington County who made the supreme sacrifice in World War I Carroll William Deal Claude Louis Deal Julius Hartley Abbie Lee Johnson Lewis Cheatham Newsom Wilbur Stuart Sewell Sr. William . . . — Map (db m103385) WM
Georgia (Washington County), Sandersville — Washington County World War II Memorial
Near West Haynes Street at Stacer Avenue.
In Grateful Tribute to The Men and Women of Washington County Who Served in The Armed Forces Of Our Country in World War II — Map (db m103387) WM
Georgia (Washington County), Sandersville — Washington County World War II MonumentsWoodmen of the World Memorials
Near West Haynes Street at Stacer Avenue.
In Sacred Memory of the men of Washington County who made the supreme sacrifice in World War II {Honor Roll of the War Dead} Map (db m103388) WM
Idaho (Butte County), Arco — Arco Veterans Memorial
On N. Front Street (U.S. 26) at HWY Drive, on the right when traveling west on N. Front Street.
A Memorial To Those Whose Lives Were Lost In Defense Of Freedom, By Acts Of War Or Terrorism; And A Tribute To The Heroic Actions Of All Patriotic Americans — Map (db m103591) WM
Idaho (Butte County), Arco — Hawkbill Base
On S. Front Street (U.S. 26) at HWY Drive, on the right when traveling west on S. Front Street.
The United States Submarine Force Has lost 65 submarines and more Than 4,027 crewmembers are still on Final patrol since submarines became Part of the Naval Service in 1900 It Is Well That They Should Be Remembered 1915 - USS F-4 . . . — Map (db m103593) WM
Idaho (Butte County), Arco — Mk 14 Torpedo
On S. Front Street (U.S. 26) at HWY Drive, on the right when traveling west on S. Front Street.
Mk 14 Torpedo Statistics Length: 20.5 feet Diameter: 21 inches Weight: 3300 pounds Range: 5500 to 9000 yards Propulsion: Steam Turbine History The Mark 14 torpedo was introduced into the navy in 1929. The warhead contained 507 pounds . . . — Map (db m103596) WM
Idaho (Butte County), Arco — USS Hawkbill (SSN-666)
On S. Front Street (U.S. 26) near HWY Drive, on the right when traveling west.
USS Hawkbill (SSN-666) Class: (Sturgeon Variant) Sturgeon Built At: Mare Island Naval Shipyard Keel Laid: 12 September 1966 Launched: 2 April 1969 Christening: Mrs. Bernard F. Roeder Commissioned: 4 February 1971 First Commanding . . . — Map (db m103649) WM
Idaho (Butte County), Arco — USS S-27
On S. Front Street (U.S. 26) at HWY Drive, on the right when traveling west on S. Front Street.
USS S-27 USS S-27 (SS-132) was one of 52 United States Submarines Lost In World War ll S-27 was commissioned on 22 January, 1924 under command of Lt. Herbert Jukes S-27 was lost in the early morning hours of 19 June, 1942 When she ran . . . — Map (db m103595) WM
Iowa (Floyd County), Charles City — Floyd County Veterans Memorial
On Main Street at Court Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street.
Duty Honor Sacrifice This memorial is dedicated to all Floyd County area veterans who have honorably served, are currently serving or will serve in the uniformed services of the United States during peacetime, conflict or war. Let this . . . — Map (db m103648) WM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — First Louisville Slugger Bat
On S 1st Street at E Main Street, on the right when traveling south on S 1st Street.
First Louisville Slugger Bat Site of J.F. Hillerich carpentry shop, 1875-1901. In 1894, J.F.’s son, J.A. “Bud” Hillerich, attended a Louisville Eclipse major league baseball game. After star player Pete Browning broke his bat, Hillerich . . . — Map (db m103523) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — 1949 — Second African Baptist Church
On 1st. Street at Market Street on 1st. Street.
Side 1 Second African Baptist Church, now Green Street Baptist Church, was formally organized here, Sept. 29, 1844. As was usual in the years of slavery, the founding members had the sponsorship of a protection committee, appointed by First . . . — Map (db m103608) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — 1989 — Slavery Laws In Old Kentucky/Site of Arterburn Brothers Slave Pens
On 1st. Street just south of Market.
Slavery Laws In Old Kentucky Ky.'s 1792 Constitution continued legalized enslavement of blacks in the new state; 1800 tax lists show 40,000 slaves. U.S. banned African slave trade in 1808 but selling of men, women and children in South . . . — Map (db m103609) HM
Kentucky (Todd County), Guthrie — 2294 — Tobacco Farmers Unite
On Ewing Street.
(Side One) Farmers throughout Western Ky. and northern Tn. gathered in Guthrie on Sept. 24, 1904, in response to the tobacco growers' economic hardship. Five thousand farmers participated in the formation of a cooperative to pool their crops in . . . — Map (db m103550) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Gardiner-Laborde Home1896
On South Washington Street west of Tucker Street, on the right when traveling west.
Built by Alfred Dupuy for J. R. Smith. Later home to the Gardiner and Benjamin Laborde families. Full two story Victorian dwelling with upper and lower galleries. Strong Eastlake influence of both interior and exterior. — Map (db m103560) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — J. Horace Ducote Law Officec. 1900
On East Odgen Street near South Washington Street, on the right when traveling north.
Ducote, a local attorney and former Mayor, practiced law from this Victorian brick and frame building at the turn of the century. — Map (db m103692) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Laborde Building1926
On North Main Street (State Highway 107/115) west of East Odgen Street, on the right when traveling west.
Arts and Crafts two story brick building built by Dr. E. M. Laborde and Cliffe E. Laborde for commercial use downstairs and dental and legal offices upstairs. Tidewater Marine, Inc., founded here in 1956. — Map (db m103567) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Watts-Dupuy-Scallan Homec.1916
On South Washington Street east of Tunica Drive East (State Highway 1).
Arts and Crafts style home built by Roy Watts and home to Carnot Dupuy for many years. Mr. Dupuy, a pharmacist, was mayor of Marksville in 1920 and also served on the School Board. — Map (db m103559) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Mater Dolorosa Church
On South Carrollton Avenue near Plum Street, on the right when traveling west.
This church came into being in 1899, when the Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin, established in the Town of Carrollton in 1848, and the Mater Dolorosa German Church, which dated from 1871, were united into a single parish. With the . . . — Map (db m103547) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Covington — The Southern Hotel
On North New Hampshire Street at East Boston Street (Business U.S. 190), on the right when traveling north on North New Hampshire Street.
At the turn of the 20th century, Covington was famous for its healthful, healing environment. Excursionists came by schooner and by rail to breathe the pine-scented air and drink the pure waters. To accommodate the many guests, Covington, like other . . . — Map (db m103558) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Slidell — 1st United Methodist Church
On Third Street (Sgt. Alfred Drive) south of Erlanger Street, on the right when traveling north.
Oldest Methodist Assembly in Slidell. Founded in a brush arbor on Sept. 26, 1887 as Methodist Episcopal Church South. Joined the Louisiana Conference in 1894. Present site dedicated July 16, 1961. — Map (db m103375) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Slidell — John SlidellSon of the South — 1793-1871
On Second Street at Bouscaren Street, on the right when traveling south on Second Street.
In 1883, Baron Erlanger named our city in honor of his father-in-law, John Slidell. Slidell had been a confidant of two American Presidents and a powerful member of the U.S. Senate from which he resigned in 1861, when Louisiana seceded from the . . . — Map (db m103376) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Slidell — John Slidell
On First Street, on the right when traveling north.
John Slidell was an American politician and diplomat. Born in New York City in 1793, he later moved to New Orleans, where he practiced law from 1819 to 1835. He married Mathilde Deslonde, a member of a respected family. A member of the state House . . . — Map (db m103417) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Slidell — John Slidell1793-1871
John Slidell rose to prominence as a Louisiana politician in the decades before the War Between the States. A lawyer who began his career as a businessman, he moved to New Orleans in 1819. He was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in . . . — Map (db m103519) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Slidell — Slidell: An Overview
On Front Street (U.S. 11) near Pennsylvania Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
Slidell, Louisiana was founded in 1883 during construction of a major new railroad from New Orleans to Meridian, Mississippi. The New Orleans and Northeastern Railroad established a building camp at first high ground north of Lake Pontchartrain . . . — Map (db m103422) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Frederick Douglass SculptureFrederick Douglass-Isaac Myers Maritime Park
On Thames Street.
Frederick Douglass is one of the best-known Americans of the 19th century. Schools, churches and other community buildings across the United States have been named after him. Known for bravery, vision and insightfulness, Douglas fought for the . . . — Map (db m103409) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mount Royal StationIcon for the Industrial Age
On Cathedral Street.
A monument to the golden era of rail travel, the Mount Royal Station enjoys a special place in the history of Baltimore and the nation—the home of the Baltimore & Ohio (B&O) Railroad and birthplace of American railroading. The history of the . . . — Map (db m103424) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mount Royal StationPreserving-A Landmark For Artists
On Cathedral Street.
By the middle of the twentieth century, the Mount Royal Station fell victim to the rise of the automobile and the decline of passenger rail service nationwide. The historic building’s deterioration threatened the future of the Mount Royal area, and . . . — Map (db m103456) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mount Royal StationThriving Community-Cultural Icon
On Cathedral Street.
With the 1960s renovation completed, the station became a point of pride once again-for Baltimore and for MICA. It was an important factor in the college’s regional accreditation and the further growth of its enrollment and reputation. The . . . — Map (db m103542) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The Marine RailwayFrederick Douglass-Isaac Myers Maritime Park
On Thames Street.
During the early 1800s, shipyards dotted Baltimore’s Harbor. Many of them drew vessels in need of repair from waters up and down the Atlantic coast. Repairs ranged from minor sail mendings to complicated restorative hull work rendered by skilled . . . — Map (db m103411) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — World War II MemorialKeswick Community
On Keswick Road at West 33rd Street on Keswick Road.
This memorial is erected in honor of those young me from this community who made the supreme sacrifice during World War II.

Joseph F. Althoff • Calvin Calp • Earl Foreman • Richard Fuller • Floyd Hall • Donald R. Hare • Edmund Mathias • Albert . . . — Map (db m103421) WM

Maryland (Baltimore County), Catonsville — Banneker's Orchard
On Oella Avenue.
This orchard grows to remind us of the care and work Benjamin Banneker (1731-1806) devoted to his land long ago. Cultivation of this orchard began in 2008 with a variety of fruit trees similar to what Banneker grew. He may have also collected wild . . . — Map (db m103478) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Catonsville — The Stone Farmhouse
On Oella Avenue.
You are standing on land that long ago was part of an area folks called "Stout". In 1737, when Benjamin Banneker was six years old, his father, Robert, purchased 100 acres from Richard Gist for 7,000 pounds of tobacco and put young Benjamin's name . . . — Map (db m103477) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Brunswick — Brunswick River Mural2015
On Maple Avenue at Potomac Street, on the left when traveling south on Maple Avenue.

Brunswick Incorporated – April 8, 1890

The Brunswick River mural celebrates 125 years of hard work and perseverance by citizens of our community in order to maintain and advance the City of Brunswick. Originally known to the . . . — Map (db m103431) HM

Maryland (Frederick County), Brunswick — From Dirt Path to Main StreetBrunswick
On Maple Avenue at Potomac Street, on the left when traveling south on Maple Avenue.

By 1787, Leonard Smith laid out the town of Berlin in 96 lots, most of which were half acre in size. Geographic location made this locale a natural transportation crossroads. Settlers and merchants traveled to and through the new town to . . . — Map (db m103437) HM

Maryland (Frederick County), Brunswick — The Baltimore & Ohio RailroadThe Railroad... Past and Present — Brunswick
On Maple Avenue at Railroad Square, on the right when traveling south on Maple Avenue.

The railroad arrived in 1834, but its major impact on the town of Berlin (as it was then known) occurred fifty years later when the Baltimore & Ohio (B&O) Railroad moved its major rail yard operation here from Martinsburg, WV. In 1890, the . . . — Map (db m103428) HM

Maryland (Frederick County), Brunswick — Veterans Memorial
On Railroad Square west of Maple Avenue, on the left when traveling west.

This flagpole is dedicated to America[']s military past, present and future

[Dedicated] July 6, 2003 — Map (db m103426) WM

Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — “The Great Baby Waker”
Near Clarke Place, on the right when traveling west.
On April 22, 1783, this historic cannon announced the end of the American Revolution here on the western frontier of the new nation Cast at the Mount Aetna forge near Hagerstown, this iron fortification gun entered service at the New Frederick . . . — Map (db m103370) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — Frederick County World War I Memorial
On Bentz Street at 2nd Street, on the left when traveling north on Bentz Street.

This monument was erected in honor of the sons and daughters of Frederick County who served their country in the Great World War 1917 • 1918 ————— These died for their country [Roll of Honored . . . — Map (db m103389) WM

Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — Frederick Evangelical Reformed Church Memorial Ground
On Bentz Street at 2nd Street, on the left when traveling north on Bentz Street.

In this Memorial Ground which was donated to Frederick County and Frederick City by the Evangelical Reformed Church of Frederick, Maryland lie buried the following persons

[List of burials] — Map (db m103425) HM

Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — Frederick Town BarracksThe American Revolution 1776 - 1783
Near Clarke Place.
These barracks served as the first public building for the new state. Founded in 1777, the limestone twins stood tall two years later, thanks to contractor Abraham Faw and local craftsmen. Set atop strategic ground, the Barracks controlled the . . . — Map (db m103418) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — George Washington Bicentennial Memorial1732 • 1932
On Bentz Street at 2nd Street, on the left when traveling north on Bentz Street.

Washington first took command of the American Army under the grandparent of this elm Cambridge, Mass. July 3, 1775. ——————— Raised by Maryland D.A.R., given and marked by the American . . . — Map (db m103414) HM WM

Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — Historic Frederick BarracksWar of 1812 Period
On Clarke Place on Clarke Place.
The limestone barracks in front of you, built in 1778, is among the oldest and most important surviving American military structures in the nation. The barracks consisted of two L-shaped buildings, but only the eastern wing remains today. During the . . . — Map (db m103369) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — Richfield
On U.S. 15 near Willow Road, on the right when traveling north.
Birthplace of Rear Admiral Winfield Scott Schley, USN Born Oct. 9, 1839 - Died Oct. 2, 1911 "The Hero of Santiago" July 3, 1898 — Map (db m103444) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — The Frederick Town BarracksShaping American History since 1777
Near Clarke Place.
The long history of Frederick Town Barracks records in timber and stone the successful transition from sword to plowshare, from bullets to books. Funded by the Maryland Legislature in 1777, the Frederick Barracks soon entered service during the . . . — Map (db m103372) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — United States Army General Hospital #1Civil War Period
Near Clarke Place.
This site marks important advances in the history of military medicine. Here Army doctors, nurses, and Daughters of Charity shaped its practice in modern form. Caregivers treated at this 18 acre complex over 30,000 sick and wounded soldiers, Union . . . — Map (db m103419) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Jefferson — Honoring Our VeteransJefferson, Maryland
On Lander Road, on the right when traveling north.
In honor and memory of the brave men and women in the armed forced of the United States from the Jefferson area who have so faithfully served out country. Your courage, devotion, and sacrifice in providing us protection and our many freedoms will . . . — Map (db m103443) WM
Maryland (Washington County), Boonsboro — St. Mark's Episcopal ChurchRefuge for the "sick and wounded"
Near Lappans Road, on the right when traveling east.
St. Mark's Episcopal Church is located just six miles north of Sharpsburg, site of the Battle of Antietam on September 17, 1862, the bloodiest one-day battle in American history. With approximately 23,000 Americans on both sides killed, wounded, or . . . — Map (db m103404) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Salem — Great Salem Fire Alarm
On Boston Street at Proctor Street on Boston Street.
At 1:37 PM on June 25th, 1914, Box 48 was pulled for a fire in the Korn Leather Factory on this site at number 57 Boston Street in an area known as Blubber Hollow, followed at 1:41 PM by a general alarm.

This was the start of the Great Salem . . . — Map (db m103628) HM

Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — L2258 — H.C. Lewis Art Gallery / Masonic Temple
On East Chicago Street (U.S. 12) at North Hudson Street, on the right when traveling west on East Chicago Street.
H.C. Lewis Art Gallery Businessman Henry Clay Lewis and his wife, Alma, built the original part of this structure in 1869 to house their extensive art collection and make it available to the public. The Italianate building complimented the . . . — Map (db m103503) HM
Michigan (Gogebic County), Erwin Township — 2237 — Erwin Central School
On Van Buskirk Road at Pioneer Road, on the right when traveling north on Van Buskirk Road.
In 1909 the newly formed Erwin Township School District built this one-room schoolhouse. The school served the area’s Finnish-born mining, logging, and farming families. The township bought the school in 1928 and altered it for use as the Town Hall . . . — Map (db m103460) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L2226 — Carnegie Library
On W. Shiawassee Street, on the right when traveling west.
Side A Andrew Carnegie credited libraries with opening the "treasures of knowledge and imagination through which youth may ascend." This belief led him to provide funding for more than 1,600 libraries across the United States. Designed by . . . — Map (db m103324) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L790A — Central United Methodist Church
On North Capitol Avenue near Ottawa Street.
The first recorded Methodist meeting in Lansing was held in 1845 when the Reverend Lewis Coburn preached in the log cabin of Joab Page of North Lansing. In 1850 a Methodist class (congregation) was formed in what is now central Lansing. Its first . . . — Map (db m103630) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L1632 — Church of the Resurrection / Monsignor John A. Gabriels
On E. Michigan Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
Side A Church of the Resurrection - On June 15 1922, the Most Reverend Michael J. Gallagher, bishop of Detroit, sent Father John A. Gabriels to Lansing to establish a Catholic parish east of the Pere Marquette railroad tracks that would . . . — Map (db m103327) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L1471C — First Presbyterian Church
On North Chestnut Street.
Side A This church, Lansing's first congregation to affiliate nationally (with the Marshall Presbytery), was founded on December 17, 1847. It was organized by the Reverend Calvin Clark, an agent for the American Home Missionary Society. . . . — Map (db m103502) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L1430 — John T. Herrmann House
On N. Capitol Avenue just south of Lapeer Street.
This English Tudor house was built in 1893 for John T. Herrmann, a Lansing tailor. Herrmann immigrated to Lansing from Bernsberg, Germany in 1872 with his wife, Katharine, and two children Henry and Christian, In 1878 John Herrmann opened the . . . — Map (db m103355) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L1449 — Lansing Community College
On N. Capitol Ave., on the left when traveling south.
Lansing Community College was established on April 8, 1957, by the Lansing Public Schools. It opened that fall with 425 students and sixteen faculty members. It offered civil mechanical and electronics technologies as well as practical nursing and . . . — Map (db m103351) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — S0575 — Michigan School for the Blind / Administration Building
On N. Pine Street, on the right when traveling south.
Michigan School for the Blind Michigan began educating the blind in 1859 at Flint's Michigan Asylum. In 1879 the legislature established the Michigan School for the Blind, which opened here on September 29, 1880, with 35 students. The next . . . — Map (db m103504) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L1185 — Morgan B. Hungerford House
On W. Ionia Street at N. Pine Street, on the right when traveling west on W. Ionia Street.
This Late Victorian house, designed by Darius B. Moon was built by Morgan B. Hungerford in 1880. Hungerford (1830-1903) had arrived in the area in 1858. He farmed a large tract of land in what is now west Lansing and served one term as justice of . . . — Map (db m103352) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L2211 — Mt. Hope Cemetery
On Mt. Hope Road at Aurelius Road on Mt. Hope Road.
Side A Mount Hope Cemetery opened as Lansing's new city cemetery in June 1874 on what was formerly the John Miller Farm. Between 1874 and 1881 the city vacated the Lansing City Cemetery, located on the site of what would become Oak Park, and moved . . . — Map (db m103622) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L1353 — North Presbyterian Church
On W. Grand River Avenue at N. Washington Avenue, on the right when traveling west on W. Grand River Avenue.
Side A On October 19, 1863, fourteen members of Lansing’s First Presbyterian Church signed the Articles of Association creating the Franklin Street Church Society. The society acquired a lot for a church from James Turner, a merchant and . . . — Map (db m103349) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L1140 — Rogers-Carrier House
On Capitol Avenue, on the left when traveling south.
Lansing architect Darius B. Moon built this Queen Anne style house in 1891 for realtor H. M. Rogers. Purchased by Lansing merchant M. R. Carrier in 1905, the house was occupied by the Carrier family until 1964. In 1966, Lansing Community College . . . — Map (db m103621) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L0987 — Trinity A.M.E. Church
On West Holmes Rd. at Averill Dr., on the right when traveling west on West Holmes Rd..
Side 1 Trinity African Methodist Episcopal Church of Lansing is the oldest black church in the city. Its first services were held in a building on North Washington Avenue. The church formally organized by the Reverend Mr. Henderson of the . . . — Map (db m103507) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L0238 — Turner-Dodge House
On North Street.
Side A James Turner, a Lansing pioneer, originally owned this property. A native of New York, Turner came to Lansing in 1847 from nearby Mason, where he was a merchant. He immediately opened a general store in the Seymour House, the first . . . — Map (db m103348) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L2141 — Union Depot
On East Michigan Avenue near Pere Marquette, on the right when traveling west.
The Union Depot began passenger service for the Michigan Central and Pere Marquette Railroads in 1902. The Detroit architectural firm of Spier and Rohns, which planned many Michigan Central stations, designed the building with Chateauesque conical . . . — Map (db m103659) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — 766 — Woodbury-Kerns House
On Townsend Street, on the right when traveling south.
Darius B. Moon, prominent turn-of-the century Lansing architect, designed this Queen Anne house in 1896 for Chester E. Woodbury, founder of the Lansing Capitol Savings and Loan Association. The structure’s last residential owner was William G. . . . — Map (db m103322) HM
Michigan (Iron County), Iron River — 213 — First Roadside Park
Near U.S. 2.
In 1918 the Iron County Board of Supervisors approved the recommendation of the road commission, through its engineer-manager, Herbert F. Larson, to purchase this 320-acre tract of roadside virgin timber and to dedicate it as a forest preserve. The . . . — Map (db m103471) HM
Michigan (Iron County), Iron River — Larson Park
Near U.S. 2.
Mining Bates Township had three mines: The Bates, Chicagon, and Rogers. Together they shipped a total of 8,196,380 tons of ore from 1909-1947. Forestry Larson Park sits in a tract of 320 acres of old growth forest. There are two . . . — Map (db m103472) HM
Michigan (Iron County), Stambaugh Township — 342 — Indian Village
Near County Rd 424 0.5 miles north of Pentoga Trail.
Here, in 1851, U.S. surveyor Guy H. Carleton discovered an Ojibwa (Chippewa) Indian village, cemetery and camp ground. Chief Edwards, last ruler at Chicaugon Lake, received a patent for this land in 1884. Selling it in 1891, he and his wife Pentoga, . . . — Map (db m103462) HM
Michigan (Iron County), Stambaugh Township — Pentoga Park
Near County 424 0.5 miles north of Pentoga Trail.
Discover the site of a pre-European Native American settlement and permanent area headquarters where Ojibwe bands congregated. Wooden burial structures protect and mark graves of these ancient bands. When Chief Edwards moved towards Lac Vieux Desert . . . — Map (db m103463) HM
Michigan (Wahtenaw County), Ypsilanti — Michigan Central Railroad Depot90 Maple Street
On East Cross Street, on the right when traveling west.
The railroad came to Ypsilanti in 1838. The inaugural ride was truly a distinguished party that included the 19 year old "Boy Governor," Stevens T. Mason and John D. Pierce, the first State Superintendent of Education. Their arrival on a cold . . . — Map (db m103371) HM
Mississippi (Pearl River County), Picayune — Southern Railroad Logo
On U.S. 11 near Tate Street, on the right when traveling south.
The Logo symbolizes the Southern Railroad which took over the rail system from New Orleans and Northeastern Railroads on or about 1915. The Logo was initially placed in Picayune in 1917 where it remained until it was damaged by construction in 2008. . . . — Map (db m103396) HM
Montana (Gallatin County), West Yellowstone — 1 — Union Pacific Identification Pylon
On Yellowstone Avenue (U.S. 191) at Boundary Street, on the right when traveling east on Yellowstone Avenue.
This Property Contributes To The West Yellowstone Oregon Shortline Terminus Historic District Listed In The National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of Interior In Cooperation With The . . . — Map (db m103600) HM
New Jersey (Monmouth County), Sea Girt — Thomas Black 3rd
On Ocean Blvd. at Beacon Blvd., on the right when traveling north on Ocean Blvd..
. . . — Map (db m103476) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), White Oaks — Susan McSween Barber “Cattle Queen of New Mexico” 1845-1931
On State Road 349, on the right when traveling east.
Her second husband was George Barber. Under the Desert Land Act, they patented 400 acres in 1883. The act required irrigating the land and in 1881 Susan built a dam across Three Rivers stream and a half-mile ditch to convey water to her property. By . . . — Map (db m103652) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Port Byron — Blacksmith Shop and Mule ShedPort Byron / Old Erie Canal Heritage Park
Near Interstate 90.
The mules that pulled boats along the Erie Canal were cared for here, fed and shoed. — Map (db m103563) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Port Byron — Glaciers, Drumlins, and High Level LakesPort Byron / Old Erie Canal Heritage Park
Near Interstate 90.
During the ice ages of the last 2 million years, glaciers sculpted the land surface forming, amongst other features, the many rounded and elongated hills called drumlins that are seen from the Thruway between Rochester and Syracuse. From this . . . — Map (db m103583) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Port Byron — Port Byron's Lock 52
Near Interstate 90.
Lock 52 on the Erie Canal was once a busy place. Built in 1851 and lengthened on the berm side in 1887 to accommodate two boats hitched together in tandem, the lock created a popular stopping point for canal boatmen. The 11-foot lift at Lock 52 . . . — Map (db m103581) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Port Byron — Tanner's Dry Dock
Near Interstate 90.
About two hundred feet from here was once the location of the D. B. Tanner Dry Dock, built in 1863 on the former Clinton's Ditch alignment. Craftmen built and repaired canal cargo boats in the dry docks that carried grain, coal, lumber and the . . . — Map (db m103582) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Port Byron — The Erie Canal in Port ByronErie Canal Heritage Park at Port Byron — Today's Canal System in New York
Near Interstate 90.
The Erie Canal in Port Byron When the original Erie Canal or "Clinton's Ditch" was completed here in 1819, Port Byron was transformed from a frontier settlement to a thriving canal town. Indeed, the local citizens were so hopeful with the new . . . — Map (db m103580) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Port Byron — The Erie HousePort Byron / Old Erie Canal Heritage Park
Near Interstate 90 near Erie Canal Heritage Site.
This 1894 saloon and hotel belonged to the Van Detto family, recently arrived Italian immigrants. Located a few hundred feet east of Lock 52, the Erie House was a popular destination for the canal community. — Map (db m103562) HM
New York (Erie County), Cheektowaga — ForksCheektowaga Historic Rails to Trails
Near Union Road (New York State Route 277) 0.5 miles north of Wells Avenue.
The area of Cheektowaga known as Forks, New York is located in the middle of the town at the junction of Broadway & Union Roads. A major railroad station was at this location and in the 1920s the present Town Hall was built. Behind the now . . . — Map (db m103646) HM
New York (Genesee County), Alabama — Schafer Farms
On Alleghany Road (New York State Route 77) at McAlpine Road, on the right when traveling north on Alleghany Road.
Schafer Farms Beginning in 1919 three genreations of the Shafer family, led by Emil, John, and Paul, produced potatoes on this property for 92 consecutive years. — Map (db m103561) HM
New York (Saint Lawrence County), De Kalb — DeKalb Junction
On U.S. 11 at County Route 17, on the right when traveling south on U.S. 11.
DeKalb Junction Ogdensburg branch of R.W. and O.R.R. opened August 20, 1862. Hamlet quickly grew up around the new railroad station, machine shop and wood sheds. — Map (db m103551) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Veterans Memorial
On Nichols Road, on the left when traveling west.
In honor of all veterans in times of peace and war The patriots blood is the seed of the freedom tree -Thomas Campbell — Map (db m103416) WM
Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — 7- 12 — Robert C. Henry
On Center Street near West Clark St., on the right when traveling south.
Robert Clayton Henry, the first African- American mayor of an Ohio city, was born in Springfield, Ohio on July 16, 1921. He attended Springfield High School and graduated in 1939. After high school, he attended Wittenberg University and the . . . — Map (db m103392) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga), Chagrin Falls — 35-18 — The Chagrin River's "High Falls"
On North Main Street.
The Chagrin River was named for Francois Seguin, a Frenchman who traded with Native Americans in Northeast Ohio circa 1742. The "High Falls" of the Chagrin River primarily attracted settlers from New England (circa 1833) seeking a location with . . . — Map (db m103458) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Chagrin Falls — 56-18 — The Cleveland Grand Prix
On South Woodland Road.
In July 25, 1965, near 10,000 spectators traveled to the Cleveland Metroparks Polo Field to witness the first-ever North American horse show jumping grand prix — the Cleveland Grand Prix. The event gave birth to the multi- million-dollar sport . . . — Map (db m103457) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Solon — 107-18 — Solon Town CenterDisciples of Christ Church 1845-1951
In 1845. the Disciples of Christ built the first of three churches to occupy this site. They built a second. larger structure, to replace the original in 1858. On August 6th. 1860. 29 year-old circuit minister Brother James A. Garfield. the future . . . — Map (db m103474) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Sylvania — 1858 Railroad Depot
Near Main Street.
The showpiece of the Historical Village is the original railroad depot building that served Sylvania residents for 98 years, from 1858 to 1956. It is the oldest train depot in existance in the State of Ohio. Built in 1858 and originally . . . — Map (db m103676) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Sylvania — Railroad Car Barn
Near Main Street.
This building is a reproduction of the center bays of the original Sylvania interurban car barn. It was located on South Main Street at Ten Mile Creek (near Sautter's Foodcenter). It houses two important pieces of Sylvania's rail history. . . . — Map (db m103650) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Sylvania — Sister City Garden
Near Main Street.
Enjoy this beautiful and peaceful setting on the grounds of the Sylvania Historical Village. It celebrates the alliance of Sylvania with its sister city of Woodstock, Ontario in Canada. This alliance was formed between the two cities in 1992. . . . — Map (db m103611) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Sylvania — Sylvania Heritage Museum
On Main Street, on the left when traveling north.
This circa 1902 house was the home and office of Dr. Uriah A. Cooke. His physician's office is still intact. Adjacent to the office is a replica of an early 1900's apothecary. The three-story house features the original hardwood flooring, window . . . — Map (db m103578) HM
Ohio (Montgomery County), Dayton — 25- 57 — Charity Adams Earley
Near Shoup Mill Rd (Wright Brother’s Parkway).
In 1942, Charity Adams Earley (1918- 2002) became the first African American woman to receive a commission in what became the Women’s Army Corps (WACs). She rose through the ranks to command the 6888th Central Postal Directory Battalion in . . . — Map (db m103461) HM
Ohio (Warren County), South Lebanon — Union Township Town Hall
On Section Street north of East McKinley Street, on the left when traveling north.
​​​​​​Side One The Union Township Hall was a center of community life from the time of its construction around 1907. The hall included the offices of township government, a community hall, and . . . — Map (db m103394) HM
Ohio (Washington County), Marietta — Betsey Mills Club
On Putnam Street east of 4th Street when traveling east.
By first connecting and enclosing two early homes in brick in 1927, philanthropist W. W. Mills built the Betsey Mills complex as a memorial to his wife, Betsey. — Map (db m103473) HM
Ohio (Washington County), Marietta — Christ United Methodist Church
On 3rd Street (U.S. 60) at Wooster Street, on the right when traveling north on 3rd Street.
Methodism was brought to Marietta by Wesleyan circuit riders Robert Manley (1799) and Peter Cartwright (1806), and by German Methodist Carl Best (1839). Present building was dedicated 1885. — Map (db m103671) HM
Ohio (Washington County), Marietta — First Baptist ChurchThe Church with the Caring Touch
On Putnam Street at Fourth Street on Putnam Street.
Organized September 5th, 1818, under name of “First Baptist Church of Marietta Township,” the first record on the church book is “On Saturday, the fifth day of September, 1818 A.D., we, Ephraim Emerson, Wm. Churchill, John . . . — Map (db m103479) HM
Ohio (Washington County), Marietta — 21-84 — Frances Dana Gage / Catherine Fay Ewing
On Colegate Drive just east of Muskingum Drive (Ohio Route 60), on the right when traveling east.
Frances Dana Gage. Frances Dana (Barker) Gage was born on October 12, 1808, in Marietta. She married James L. Gage in 1829 and they raised eight children, including four sons who served with Union forces during the Civil War. Throughout much . . . — Map (db m103673) HM
Ohio (Washington County), Marietta — House of Seven Porches
On 5th Street just south of Scammel Street, on the left when traveling north.
Built in 1835 by Marietta College Professor Diarca H. Allen. Was long known as the Buell, then the Kelso House. — Map (db m103574) HM
Ohio (Washington County), Marietta — Memorial to the Revolutionary Soldiers Buried in Marietta
On 5th Street at Scammel Street, on the right when traveling north on 5th Street.
Erected by the Marietta Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, as a memorial to the revolutionary soldiers buried in Marietta and to honor the heroic men and women who faced the wilderness with courage and hope to create the Great Northwest. . . . — Map (db m103515) WM
Ohio (Washington County), Marietta — Mound Square
On 5th Street at Cutter Street, on the right when traveling north on 5th Street.
A work of the Moundbuilders, reserved for the public use by the Founders of Marietta in 1788. Set aside as a cemetery in 1800. First burial was in 1801. “I know many of the Ohio Company personally. Never were men better calculated to . . . — Map (db m103642) HM
Ohio (Washington County), Marietta — St. Paul’s Church
On 5th Street at Scammel Street, on the right when traveling north on 5th Street.
Marietta’s second oldest, the German Evangelical “Kirche” built 1849. Became St. Paul’s Evangelical Church 1872. English sermons began in 1909. — Map (db m103541) HM
Ohio (Washington County), Marietta — The President’s Home of Marietta College
On Putnam Street at 5th Street, on the left when traveling east on Putnam Street.
Built in 1822 by Postmaster Henry P. Wilcox, the property was acquired in 1837 by Colonel John Mills, a founder of the college. It passed to his sons John and William Webster Mills, graduates of the college and, like their father, longtime trustees . . . — Map (db m103465) HM
Pennsylvania, Fountaindale — Before The Battle Of GettysburgEvents Along The Emmitsburg & Waynesboro Turnpike
On Old Waynesboro Road north of Iron Springs Road, on the left when traveling north.
On June 22, 1863, a skirmish erupted at Monterey Pass when Company D of the 4th Virginia Cavalry attacked portions of Union cavalry under the command of Captain Robert Bell, Captain Samuel Randall, and several members of the Gettysburg Home Guard. . . . — Map (db m103397) HM
Pennsylvania, Fountaindale — The Battle Of Monterey PassCitizens’ Stories and Kilpatrick’s Advance
On Old Waynesboro Road north of Iron Springs Road, on the left when traveling north.
On the afternoon of July 4, Union General Judson Kilpatrick left Emmitsburg with three brigades of cavalry, supported by three batteries of rifled artillery. Kilpatrick was ordered to locate and attack a Confederate wagon train that was moving over . . . — Map (db m103399) HM
Pennsylvania, Monterey — The Battle of Monterey PassThe Initial Breakthrough
On Charmian Road 0.1 miles west of Buchanan Trail East (Pennsylvania Route 16), on the right when traveling west.
General Kilpatrick, quartered at the Monterey Inn, ordered artillery to support Custer’s troopers. Near the present-day golf course, Captain Alexander Pennington deployed two rifled cannon and began to shell the Confederate battle line with case . . . — Map (db m103489) HM
Pennsylvania, Monterey — The Battle of Monterey PassA Wild and Desolate Scene
On Charmian Road east of Buchanan Trail East (Pennsylvania Route 16), on the left when traveling west.
The 1st West Virginia Cavalry arrived and were ordered to charge the Confederate cannon on this side of the bridge. Seeing the West Virginians in their front, Confederate Captain William Tanner ordered the cannon to fire its last two shots before . . . — Map (db m103499) HM
Pennsylvania, Monterey — The Battle of Monterey PassConfederate Reinforcements Arrive
On Charmian Road east of Buchanan Trail East (Pennsylvania Route 16), on the left when traveling west.
The Confederate defenders of Captain George Emack’s company of the First Maryland Cavalry, supported by Captain Tanner’s artillery detachment, were deployed in this area. As the battle continued past midnight, reinforcements began to arrive. The 4th . . . — Map (db m103500) HM
Pennsylvania, Monterey — The Retreat From GettysburgLongstreet's Corps
On Charmian Road 0.1 miles east of Buchanan Trail East (Pennsylvania Route 16), on the right when traveling west.
On July 5, Confederate General James Longstreet’s Corps marched from Fairfield, along the Jack’s Mountain Road to Fountaindale. From there, Longstreet’s Corps marched to Monterey Pass, along the Emmitsburg and Waynesboro Turnpike. General John B. . . . — Map (db m103486) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Wexford — Borough of Bradford WoodsMay 3, 1915
On Wexford Run Road at Bradford Road, on the right when traveling south on Wexford Run Road.
Named for landowner Thomas Bradford. Bradford Woods was first settled along the Harmony Trolley Line as a summer retreat in the fresh country air. It was Incorporated so that a school could be established for the children of the community. — Map (db m103658) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), New Hope — Grandchild of Cambridge Elm
On Bowman's Hill Tower Road, on the right when traveling east.
Grandchild of Cambridge Elm under which Washington took command 7-3-1775. Raised and given by Alice Paret Dorsey. Marked by Bucks County Chapter D. A. R. — Map (db m103423) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Monterey — The Battle of Monterey PassThe Battle Begins
On Charmian Road west of Clermont Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
At this location, Confederate Captain Robert Tanner deployed one Napoleon cannon to guard the eastern Summit of South Mountain. At 9:00 p.m., the 5th Michigan Cavalry, leading the advance of union General Judson Kilpatrick’s Cavalry Division, . . . — Map (db m103452) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Monterey — The Battle of Monterey PassKilpatrick Divides His Cavalry
On Charmian Road west of Clermont Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
As a squadron of the 18th Pennsylvania Cavalry went into the woods, portions of the 1st and 5th Michigan cavalry began their advance. The 5th Michigan Cavalry was sent toward the right and a portion of the 1st Michigan Cavalry was ordered to . . . — Map (db m103453) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Monterey — The Battle of Monterey PassThe Wolverines Fight
On Charmian Road 0.1 miles from Buchanan Trail East (Pennsylvania Route 16), on the right when traveling west.
Union General George A. Custer’s cavalry brigade advanced here, along the banks of red run, deploying along both sides of the road. The 5th Michigan Cavalry deployed to the right, while the 7th, 6th and portions of the 1st Michigan Cavalry deployed . . . — Map (db m103483) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Waynesboro — Cupola – Waynesboro’s Crown Jewel
On E 2nd Street, on the left when traveling west.
She inspired, she endured for 52 years, she symbolized the future of education in the Waynesboro area. Waynesboro High School 1937-1954 Waynesboro Area Senior High School 1954-1962 East Junior High School 1962-1989 Superintendent – . . . — Map (db m103546) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Lake — Sullivan Bridge
On Pennsylvania Route 940, on the right when traveling west.
General John Sullivan’s 1779 Revolutionary War expedition built a road through this area. Only one bridge was required from Easton to Wilkes-Barre, and it crossed Tobyhanna Creek here. Camped nearby, over 500 troops completed the difficult . . . — Map (db m103664) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Lake — William Henry ChristmanFirst At Arlington
On Pennsylvania Route 940 at North Shore Road, on the right when traveling east on State Route 940.
During the Civil War, Christman of Pocono Lake enlisted in the 67th Regiment of the Pennsylvania Volunteers. He sent his military pay and enlistment bonus to his penniless parents so they could buy land for a family home and farm. On May 13, 1864 . . . — Map (db m103670) HM
Pennsylvania (York County), Hanover — The Jacob Wirt House
On Frederick Street (Pennsylvania Route 194) 0.1 miles from Franklin Street, on the right when traveling east.
At approximately 8:00 a.m. the head of Kilpatrick's Union Cavalry Division halted on Frederick Street. When Reverend William K. Zieber, pastor of Emmanuel Reformed Church learned about the hungry cavalrymen, he encouraged the crowd of townspeople to . . . — Map (db m103395) HM
Pennsylvania (York County), Seven Valleys — St. Paul's (Ziegler's) Lutheran Church
On Zieglers Church Road, on the left when traveling north.
St. Paul's (Ziegler's) Lutheran Church was established in 1771 by German settlers. A log building was erected in 1771 and was replaced by a stone church on this site in 1805. In 1907 the current brick church to the southeast was built. Dedicated in . . . — Map (db m103445) HM
South Carolina, St. George — 1824 — St. George Public High School/St. George Graded School
On Ridge Street at Raysor Street, on the right when traveling north on Ridge Street.
(front) St. George Public High School St. George High School was built in 1927 on the corner of Raysor and Ridge Sts. In 1936 the school district received a W.P.A. grant to build a new gymnasium. The building continued as a high . . . — Map (db m103405) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 90 East Bay Street Ancrum Wharf BuildingCirca 1781 — Altered circa 1855
On East Bay Street (U.S. 52) at S Adgers Wharf, on the right when traveling north on East Bay Street.
The Ancrum Wharf Building was constructed by Parker Quince and John Ancrum, both North Carolina natives, who were married to Savannah and Mary Rhett. The Rhett sisters were heirs to Col. William Rhett. The Ancrum Wharf Building is one of the . . . — Map (db m103639) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Neeses — 38 37 — Rocky Swamp Rosenwald School
On Norway Road (County Highway 332) 0.3 miles west of Trojan Street (County Highway 2218), on the right when traveling west.
(front) This is the site of the Rocky Swamp Rosenwald School, a frame three-room school built here in 1920-21 for African-American students in Neeses and vicinity. An elementary school with two to three teachers in grades 1-9, it was one of . . . — Map (db m103398) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — 38-41 — Jewish Merchants/Jewish Life
On Russell Street (State Highway 33) east of Broughton Street (Business U.S. 178), on the left when traveling east.
(side 1) Jewish Merchants Russell St., historic hub of Orangeburg's commercial life, was home to Jewish merchants for over 160 years. German Jews began settling in Orangeburg in the 1830s, followed in the next century by Eastern . . . — Map (db m103381) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — 3C 52 — Bethel Meeting House
On Fort Campbell Blvd. (U.S. 41A), in the median.
In 1812 pioneer preachers Peter Cartwright, Henry B. Bascom, and Thomas A. Morris preached to area settlers in a log structure at this site. Tradition has it that the Bell Witch attended a service here and at a meeting later that night quoted the . . . — Map (db m103548) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — Legion Street
On Legion Street at Second Street and Strawberry Alley on Legion Street.
In the early 1920's, the area from Public Square to Second Street known as Strawberry Alley, was widened and extended to Third Street and the area designated Legion Street to honor the veterans of World War I. In 2008, under the leadership of Mayor . . . — Map (db m103549) HM WM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — The Lynching of Ell Persons
On Summer Avenue (U.S. 79) 0.2 miles west of Shelby Oaks, on the right when traveling west.
Side One Near this spot on May 22, 1917, a lynching party chained Ell Persons to a log, doused him in gasoline, and burned him alive. An estimated 5,000 spectators witnessed his death or viewed his remains soon afterward. Persons, a black . . . — Map (db m103638) HM
Tennessee (Stewart County), Dover — C.S.A Headquarters
On Petty Street north of Pillow Street, on the left when traveling north.
C.S.A. Headquarters of Brigadier General John B. Floyd Brigadier General Gideon J. Pillow Brigadier General Simon B. Buckner — Map (db m103400) HM
Tennessee (Stewart County), Dover — Graves' Battery C.S.A.Brigadier General Simon B Buckner's Division — Colonel John C. Brown's Brigade
On Park Drive 0.2 miles east of Donelson Parkway (U.S. 79), on the right when traveling east.
This battery of 6 field pieces occupied this position commanding the valley of Indian Creek. On February 13, 1862, in the morning, these guns opened an effective fire upon Federal troops advancing in an attack against the position held by . . . — Map (db m103401) HM
Tennessee (Stewart County), Dover — U.S.A. Naval Forces, Western DivisionCommodore Andrew H. Foote, U.S. Navy
Near Lock D Loop north of Lock D Road when traveling north.
U.S.S. St. Louis, Flagship, Lieutenant Leonard Paulding U.S.S. Louisville, Commander Benjamin M. Dove U.S.S. Pittsburgh, Lieutenant Egbert Thompson U.S.S. Carondelet, Commander Henry Walke U.S.S. Conestoga, Lieutenant S. Ledyard Phelps . . . — Map (db m103402) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 125th O.V.I."Opdycke's Tigers" — 1st Brigade 2nd Division 4th Corps U.S.
Near Columbia Avenue (Business U.S. 31) north of Strahl Street, on the left when traveling north.
The 125th O.V.I. was formed at Camp Cleveland, Ohio in August of 1862. The regiment was stationed in Franklin in the spring of 1863. On November 30, 1864, the 125th were in reserve 150 yards north of the Carter house with Opdycke’s brigade. Without . . . — Map (db m103620) HM

282 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 82
Paid Advertisement