Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

206 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 6
 
Wideview of Captain Samuel Anderson Marker image, Touch for more information
By Kevin Craft, May 19, 2017
Wideview of Captain Samuel Anderson Marker
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry counties), Cornwall — Captain Samuel Anderson1736-1836
This property formed part of the extensive lands granted to Capt. Samuel Anderson, U.E.L., one of the first persons to settle on the site of Cornwall. Born in New England of Irish parents, he served with the British forces during the Seven Years . . . — Map (db m103604) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry counties), Cornwall — Cornwall Canal
The Cornwall Canal was one of eight canals that connected western Canada with the ocean by way of the Great Lakes and the St. Lawrence River. Constructed in 1834–1842 to overcome the rapids of the Long Sault, it was enlarged several times . . . — Map (db m103668) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry counties), Cornwall — Cornwall Grammar School
Cornwall Collegiate and Vocational School traces its beginning to an educational institution founded by John Strachan in 1803. Strachan, an Anglican priest, opened a private school in his home where he hoped to educate young men to take on leading . . . — Map (db m103613) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry counties), Cornwall — Inverarden
This house, built in 1816, is a fine early example of Regency architecture and its interior is a pleasing expression of Georgian symmetry with excellent detailing. In a wooded setting and commanding an impressive view, this was a fitting home for a . . . — Map (db m103603) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry counties), Cornwall — Lieutenant-Colonel John Macdonell(Aberchalder) — c. 1750-1809
Born in Scotland, Macdonell came to New York in 1773. Commissioned ensign in the Royal Highland Emigrants (84th Regiment) in June 1775 and later transferred to Butler's Rangers, Macdonell served with distinction until 1784 when he settled with his . . . — Map (db m103602) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry counties), Cornwall — Right Reverend John Strachan1778-1867
Born in Scotland, Strachan came to Kingston in 1799. Ordained in 1803, he became rector of Cornwall and taught at its grammar school until named rector of York in 1812. In 1839 he was made the first Anglican Bishop of Toronto. A central figure in . . . — Map (db m103614) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry counties), Cornwall — The Founding of Cornwall
In June 1784 disbanded Loyalist soldiers and their families settled at new Johnstown, the site of present-day Cornwall. Initially called Pointe Maligne, the area had been visited by native traders and French missionaries and explorers during the . . . — Map (db m103632) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry counties), Cornwall — The French Presence in Cornwall
A vital cultural force in Eastern Ontario, the Franco-Ontarian community in Cornwall was established during the late 1870s when large-scale industrial expansion led to an influx of workers and tradesmen from Québec. By 1881 French-speaking . . . — Map (db m103610) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry counties), Cornwall — The Glengarry Fencibles
The regiment of Glengarry Light Infantry Fencibles was raised in 1811–12 largely from among the Highland settlers of this region, many of whom had served previously in Europe with the Glengarry (British Highland) Fencibles. The Canadian corps . . . — Map (db m103612) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry counties), Cornwall — The Rev. John Strachan in Cornwall
This pioneer clergyman, legislator and teacher was born in 1778 in Aberdeen, Scotland, and in 1799 came to Kingston as a tutor. In 1803, after entering the Church of England, he was ordained and appointed missionary at Cornwall. Here in . . . — Map (db m103641) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry counties), Cornwall — War of 1812St. John's Presbyterian Church
Founded in 1787 by the well known Scot, the Reverend John Bethune, St. John's Presbyterian Church and its people played an important role in the preservation of Canadian land and territorial claim during the war of 1812. Their first church building . . . — Map (db m103631) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry counties), South Glengarry — "Cariboo" Cameron1820-1888
Born in this township, John Angus "Cariboo" Cameron married Margaret Sophia Groves in 1860. Accompanied by his wife and daughter, he went to British Columbia in 1862 to prospect in the Cariboo gold fields. That year at Williams Creek he struck a . . . — Map (db m103594) HM
Guatemala, Chimaltenango (Municipality of Chimaltenango) — Chimaltenango Memorial to the Victims of Guatemala's Armed Conflict
En memoria de los miles y miles de mártires que lucharon por la paz con justicia social del pueblo maya kaqchikel y no maya que fueron: secuestrados, desaparecidos, torturados, masacrados y asesinados por las fuerzas represivas de los últimos 36 . . . — Map (db m103566) HM WM
Guatemala, Chimaltenango (Municipality of Chimaltenango) — General Justo Rufino Barrios
1885 al 1986 General Justo Rufino Barrios Reformador de Guatemala en el 101 aniversario de su muerte Guatemala, 2 de abril de 1986 Zona Militar No. 3, “La Alameda, Chimaltenango” Municipalidad de Chimaltenango, 1986 SMG English . . . — Map (db m103557) HM
Guatemala, Chimaltenango (Municipality of Chimaltenango) — José Simeon Cañas
Parque Jose Simeon Cañas Chimaltenango a su egregio diputado padre de la abolición de la esclavitud en Centro America, en dic. de 1823 1957 English translation: José Simeón Cañas Park Chimaltenango to its outstanding Congressman, Father of . . . — Map (db m103568) HM
Guatemala, Sacatepéquez (Municipality of Antigua Guatemala), Aldea San Juan del Obispo — José Luis de León Diaz
Por qué se empeña la muerte en matar vanamente a la vida si la más humilde semilla rompe la piedra más fuerte Luis de León. José Luis de León Diaz, Nombre literario: Luis de León, Escritor, Novelista Cuentista. Nacido en San Juan del Obispo el 19 . . . — Map (db m103528) HM
Guatemala, Sacatepéquez (Municipality of Antigua Guatemala), Antigua Guatemala — Las Delicias Fountain
El Comité del Barrio de la Concepcion En el quinto aniversario de su fundacion declara patrimonio histórico del barrio "Fuente de las Delicias" construida el año 1620 Santiago de Guatemala La Antigua Guatemala 7 de diciembre de 1995 English . . . — Map (db m103524) HM
Guatemala, Sacatepéquez (Municipality of Sumpango), Sumpango — Tree of Saint Peter
Árbol de Santo Hermano Pedro Nombre: Esquisuchil Nombre científico: Bourreira Huanita Familia: Boraginaceae Altura promedio: 9 Metros Sembrado el 21 de Agosto de 2016 Es un Brote Natural del árbol plantado por el Santo Hermano Pedro de San . . . — Map (db m103571) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — Stela E of Quiriguá
Estela E de Quiriguá (Reproducción) Quiriguá se localiza sobre el valle del río Motagua, que nace cerca de la ciudad de Guatemala y desemboca en el Golfo de Honduras. Su trayecto favoreció el comercio de obsidiana y jadeíta . . . — Map (db m103520) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Allende), San Miguel de Allende — A Ceremonial Centre in the Laja River Basin
Cañada de la Virgen: un centro cívico ceremonial en la cuenca de río Laja En la epoca prehispánica Cañada de la Virgen fue un centro cívico ceremonial que alcanzó su mayor desarrollo durante los años 540 a 1050 d.C., sin que a la fecha haya . . . — Map (db m103640) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Allende), San Miguel de Allende — The Ceremonial Avenue
Calzada ceremonial El acceso principal al centro cívico ceremonial en época prehispánica se realizaba a traves de una gran calzada de casi un kilómetro de longitud y entre 13 y 17 metros de ancho. Ésta se diseño con un trazo de oriente a . . . — Map (db m103572) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Allende), San Miguel de Allende — The House of Luis Malo
. . . — Map (db m103730) HM WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Tierra Blanca), Tierra Blanca — Miguel Hidalgo
1753 1953 Loor eterno al Padre de la Patria Hidalgo English translation: 1753 - 1953 Eternal tribute to the Father of the Nation Hidalgo
Map (db m103522) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Victoria), Victoria — Father Juan González Zarate
A la santa memoria del Sr. Cura Pbro. Don Juan Gonzalez Zarate, Fundador de la Congregacion de Hermanos de Santa Maria de Guadalupe y San Isidro Labrador. e insigne benefactor de esta parroquia de San Juan Bautista en donde tuvo especial . . . — Map (db m103525) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Victoria), Victoria — Miguel Hidalgo
Por acuerdo del H. Ayuntamiento 1967-1969 se erigio este monumento al Padre de la Patria Don Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla siendo Presidente Municipal el C. Simon Amador Mata Villa Victoria, Gto., diciembre de 1969 English translation: . . . — Map (db m103527) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Santiago de Querétaro), Santiago de Querétaro — Friar Antonio de Jesus María Linaz Massanli
Fray Antonio de Jesus Ma. Linaz Massanli 1635-1693 Custodio de Provincia 1679 Prefecto de Misiones Guardian del Convento de la Santa Cruz de Qro. 1681 Fundador del Primer Colegio Apostolico de Propaganda Fide en Queretaro 1683 Dedicacion . . . — Map (db m103727) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Santiago de Querétaro), Santiago de Querétaro — Friar Antonio Margil de Jesus Ros
Fray Antonio Margil de Jesus Ros 1657-1726 Guardian del Convento de la Santa Cruz de Queretaro 1696-1700 Fundador del Colegio Apostolico de Propaganda Fide en Guatemala 1701 Fundador del Colegio Apostolico de Propaganda Fide en Zacatecas 1707 . . . — Map (db m103717) HM
California (Napa County), Yountville — Flags over California in 1870
In 1870, the year in which the Groezinger Winery (now Vintage 1870) was built, these flags: the California Bear flag (note how much more primitive in design it is in contrast with the present day version) and the American flag (then with 37 stars) . . . — Map (db m103540) HM
California (Napa County), Yountville — George Yount's Millstones
George Yount, American frontiersman, was born in North Carolina in 1794. When he was 10 years old Yount moved with his family to Missouri and in 1831 he came to California. Yount received a large tract of land in the Napa Valley from the Mexican . . . — Map (db m103536) HM
California (Napa County), Yountville — Groezinger WineryVintage 1870
This winery, once known as one of the finest cellars in the State, was erected by Mr. G. Groezinger in 1870. The winery stands on part of the original land grant made to Salvador Vallejo by the government of Mexico in 1838. Vintner Groezinger . . . — Map (db m103539) HM
California (Napa County), Yountville — Map of Groezinger's Addition
On March 7, 1874, the map of Groeziner's addition to Yountville was filed and recorded. This plaque is on a portion of "the lot plotted by G. Groezinger as a flower garden." Therefore it is dedicated in his memory. Yountville Firemen's Auxiliary . . . — Map (db m103537) HM
Georgia, Fort Oglethorpe — MT-919 — Battery B, 1st Ohio Light Artillery MarkerCruft’s Brigade — Palmer's Division
Battery B. 1st Ohio Light Artillery. Cruft’s Brigade. 5:00 P.M. September 19, 1863. — Map (db m103565) HM
Georgia, Fort Oglethorpe — MT-928 — Battery F, 1st Ohio Light Artillery MarkerHazen’s Brigade — Palmer's Division
Battery F. 1st Ohio Light Artillery. Hazen’s Brigade. 5:oo P.M. September 19, 1863. — Map (db m103564) WM
Georgia, Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1149 — Deshler’s Brigade.Cleburne’s Division – Hill’s Corps.
Brig. Gen. James Deshler. Col. Roger Q. Mills. Sept. 20, 1863. 19th and 24th Arkansas Lieut. Col. A.S. Hutchinson 6th, 10th and 15th Texas Cavalry, Dismounted Col. Roger Q. Mills. • Lieut. Col. T. Scott Anderson. 15th and 18th . . . — Map (db m103681) HM
Georgia (Camden County), St Marys — Clark-Berssant House
In this house Aaron Burr fleeing after duel with Alexander Hamilton, and later General Winfield Scott returning from Indian campaign in Florida, were entertained by Major Archibald Clark. W.P.A. 1936. — Map (db m103543) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1036 — 124th Ohio InfantryHazen's Brigade — Palmer's Division
124th. Regiment Ohio Infantry, Hazen's Brigade. 8:00 A.M. to 3:00 P.M. September 20, 1863. — Map (db m103634) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1075 — 1st Wisconsin Infantry2nd Brigade — 1st Division
Text on the Front Side of the Monument: 1st. Wisconsin Infantry. 2nd. Brigade. 1st. Division. 14th. Corps. Text on the Back Side of the Monument: This regiment, Lieutenant Colonel . . . — Map (db m103570) HM WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-942 — 20th Battery, Ohio Light ArtilleryDodge’s Brigade, Johnson’s Division
(front) 20th. Independent Battery, O.L.A., Dodge’s Brigade, Johnson’s Division, 20th Army Corps. (rear) This battery Capt. Edward Grosskopff commanding, with its brigade was held in reserve on Sept. 19th, 1863, till . . . — Map (db m103734) HM WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-941 — 20th Battery, Ohio Light Artillery.4 3” Rifles, 2 Napoleons.
20th Battery, Ohio Light Artillery. 4 3” Rifles, 2 Napoleons. Dodge’s Brigade, Johnson’s Division, McCook’s Corps. September 20, 1863. Capt. Edward Grosskopff, Commanding. The Battery remained in the rear of the . . . — Map (db m103737) HM
Idaho (Butte County), Arco — Arco Veterans Memorial
A Memorial To Those Whose Lives Were Lost In Defense Of Freedom, By Acts Of War Or Terrorism; And A Tribute To The Heroic Actions Of All Patriotic Americans — Map (db m103591) WM
Idaho (Butte County), Arco — Hawkbill Base
The United States Submarine Force Has lost 65 submarines and more Than 4,027 crewmembers are still on Final patrol since submarines became Part of the Naval Service in 1900 It Is Well That They Should Be Remembered 1915 - USS F-4 . . . — Map (db m103593) WM
Idaho (Butte County), Arco — Mk 14 Torpedo
Mk 14 Torpedo Statistics Length: 20.5 feet Diameter: 21 inches Weight: 3300 pounds Range: 5500 to 9000 yards Propulsion: Steam Turbine History The Mark 14 torpedo was introduced into the navy in 1929. The warhead contained 507 pounds . . . — Map (db m103596) WM
Idaho (Butte County), Arco — USS Hawkbill (SSN-666)
USS Hawkbill (SSN-666) Class: (Sturgeon Variant) Sturgeon Built At: Mare Island Naval Shipyard Keel Laid: 12 September 1966 Launched: 2 April 1969 Christening: Mrs. Bernard F. Roeder Commissioned: 4 February 1971 First Commanding . . . — Map (db m103649) WM
Idaho (Butte County), Arco — USS S-27
USS S-27 USS S-27 (SS-132) was one of 52 United States Submarines Lost In World War ll S-27 was commissioned on 22 January, 1924 under command of Lt. Herbert Jukes S-27 was lost in the early morning hours of 19 June, 1942 When she ran . . . — Map (db m103595) WM
Iowa (Floyd County), Charles City — Floyd County Veterans Memorial
Duty Honor Sacrifice This memorial is dedicated to all Floyd County area veterans who have honorably served, are currently serving or will serve in the uniformed services of the United States during peacetime, conflict or war. Let this . . . — Map (db m103648) WM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — First Louisville Slugger Bat
First Louisville Slugger Bat Site of J.F. Hillerich carpentry shop, 1875-1901. In 1894, J.F.’s son, J.A. “Bud” Hillerich, attended a Louisville Eclipse major league baseball game. After star player Pete Browning broke his bat, Hillerich . . . — Map (db m103523) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — 1949 — Second African Baptist Church
Side 1 Second African Baptist Church, now Green Street Baptist Church, was formally organized here, Sept. 29, 1844. As was usual in the years of slavery, the founding members had the sponsorship of a protection committee, appointed by First . . . — Map (db m103608) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — 1989 — Slavery Laws In Old Kentucky/Site of Arterburn Brothers Slave Pens
Slavery Laws In Old Kentucky Ky.'s 1792 Constitution continued legalized enslavement of blacks in the new state; 1800 tax lists show 40,000 slaves. U.S. banned African slave trade in 1808 but selling of men, women and children in South . . . — Map (db m103609) HM
Kentucky (Todd County), Guthrie — 2294 — Tobacco Farmers Unite
(Side One) Farmers throughout Western Ky. and northern Tn. gathered in Guthrie on Sept. 24, 1904, in response to the tobacco growers' economic hardship. Five thousand farmers participated in the formation of a cooperative to pool their crops in . . . — Map (db m103550) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Gardiner-Laborde Home1896
Built by Alfred Dupuy for J. R. Smith. Later home to the Gardiner and Benjamin Laborde families. Full two story Victorian dwelling with upper and lower galleries. Strong Eastlake influence of both interior and exterior. — Map (db m103560) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Gremillion-Degrusha Homec. 1915
Arts and Crafts style home built by Judge Phidias Gremillion. Is unique because it features a gabled roof. The wainscoted dining room is highlighted by a plate rail. — Map (db m103700) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — J. Horace Ducote Law Officec. 1900
Ducote, a local attorney and former Mayor, practiced law from this Victorian brick and frame building at the turn of the century. — Map (db m103692) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Laborde Building1926
Arts and Crafts two story brick building built by Dr. E. M. Laborde and Cliffe E. Laborde for commercial use downstairs and dental and legal offices upstairs. Tidewater Marine, Inc., founded here in 1956. — Map (db m103567) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Lewis P. Roy, Sr. Buildingc. 1900
Victorian mercantile store built by Lewis P. Roy, Sr. Restored in 1984-85 by attorneys Tucker Melancon and Rodney Rabalais and certified public accountants Aloysia C. Ducote and Van P. Major. — Map (db m103699) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Watts-Dupuy-Scallan Homec.1916
Arts and Crafts style home built by Roy Watts and home to Carnot Dupuy for many years. Mr. Dupuy, a pharmacist, was mayor of Marksville in 1920 and also served on the School Board. — Map (db m103559) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Mater Dolorosa Church
This church came into being in 1899, when the Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin, established in the Town of Carrollton in 1848, and the Mater Dolorosa German Church, which dated from 1871, were united into a single parish. With the . . . — Map (db m103547) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Covington — The Southern Hotel
At the turn of the 20th century, Covington was famous for its healthful, healing environment. Excursionists came by schooner and by rail to breathe the pine-scented air and drink the pure waters. To accommodate the many guests, Covington, like other . . . — Map (db m103558) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Madisonville — Madisonville Cemetery1800 to Present
Resting place of pre-Louisiana Purchase colonial settlers, veterans of the War of 1812 and the Civil War, and many men and women of great importance to local and national history. — Map (db m103702) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Slidell — John Slidell1793-1871
John Slidell rose to prominence as a Louisiana politician in the decades before the War Between the States. A lawyer who began his career as a businessman, he moved to New Orleans in 1819. He was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in . . . — Map (db m103519) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mount Royal StationThriving Community-Cultural Icon
With the 1960s renovation completed, the station became a point of pride once again-for Baltimore and for MICA. It was an important factor in the college’s regional accreditation and the further growth of its enrollment and reputation. The . . . — Map (db m103542) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Westminster — Neal Home
Site of Abner Neal home. His sons, Henry and Frank, were arrested on Aug.28, 1862 as Southern supporters. Released, they joined the Army of Virginia and returned with Stuart's advance guard on June 29, 1863, en route to Gettysburg. Here, Brig. Gen. . . . — Map (db m103705) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Westminster — The Opera House
Built in 1854 as an Odd Fellows Hall and served as an "Opera House" and community center for nearly a century. Reported to have been used by Union troops during the Civil War. Opera House printing company located here in 1976 by its owner, . . . — Map (db m103704) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Westminster — Westminster MD Town Survey
At the rear of this property there is a green stone marking the starting point for the patent of White's level of September 27, 1738, and for the survey of the town of Westminster made by William Winchester in 1764, and shown of the plat recorded by . . . — Map (db m103707) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Salem — Great Salem Fire Alarm
At 1:37 PM on June 25th, 1914, Box 48 was pulled for a fire in the Korn Leather Factory on this site at number 57 Boston Street in an area known as Blubber Hollow, followed at 1:41 PM by a general alarm.

This was the start of the Great Salem . . . — Map (db m103628) HM

Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — L2258 — H.C. Lewis Art Gallery / Masonic Temple
H.C. Lewis Art Gallery Businessman Henry Clay Lewis and his wife, Alma, built the original part of this structure in 1869 to house their extensive art collection and make it available to the public. The Italianate building complimented the . . . — Map (db m103503) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L2226 — Carnegie Library
Side A Andrew Carnegie credited libraries with opening the "treasures of knowledge and imagination through which youth may ascend." This belief led him to provide funding for more than 1,600 libraries across the United States. Designed by . . . — Map (db m103324) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L790A — Central United Methodist Church
The first recorded Methodist meeting in Lansing was held in 1845 when the Reverend Lewis Coburn preached in the log cabin of Joab Page of North Lansing. In 1850 a Methodist class (congregation) was formed in what is now central Lansing. Its first . . . — Map (db m103630) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L1632 — Church of the Resurrection / Monsignor John A. Gabriels
Side A Church of the Resurrection - On June 15 1922, the Most Reverend Michael J. Gallagher, bishop of Detroit, sent Father John A. Gabriels to Lansing to establish a Catholic parish east of the Pere Marquette railroad tracks that would . . . — Map (db m103327) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L1471C — First Presbyterian Church
Side A This church, Lansing's first congregation to affiliate nationally (with the Marshall Presbytery), was founded on December 17, 1847. It was organized by the Reverend Calvin Clark, an agent for the American Home Missionary Society. . . . — Map (db m103502) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — Joe Louis Barrow 1914-1981
Joe Louis learned to box as a teenager at Detroit’s Brewster Recreation Center. With power in both hands and great strength, Louis quickly rose through the amateur ranks and turned pro in 1934. He won the world heavyweight title in 1937 at the . . . — Map (db m103682) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L1430 — John T. Herrmann House
This English Tudor house was built in 1893 for John T. Herrmann, a Lansing tailor. Herrmann immigrated to Lansing from Bernsberg, Germany in 1872 with his wife, Katharine, and two children Henry and Christian, In 1878 John Herrmann opened the . . . — Map (db m103355) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L1449 — Lansing Community College
Lansing Community College was established on April 8, 1957, by the Lansing Public Schools. It opened that fall with 425 students and sixteen faculty members. It offered civil mechanical and electronics technologies as well as practical nursing and . . . — Map (db m103351) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — S0575 — Michigan School for the Blind / Administration Building
Michigan School for the Blind Michigan began educating the blind in 1859 at Flint's Michigan Asylum. In 1879 the legislature established the Michigan School for the Blind, which opened here on September 29, 1880, with 35 students. The next . . . — Map (db m103504) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L1185 — Morgan B. Hungerford House
This Late Victorian house, designed by Darius B. Moon was built by Morgan B. Hungerford in 1880. Hungerford (1830-1903) had arrived in the area in 1858. He farmed a large tract of land in what is now west Lansing and served one term as justice of . . . — Map (db m103352) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L2211 — Mt. Hope Cemetery
Side A Mount Hope Cemetery opened as Lansing's new city cemetery in June 1874 on what was formerly the John Miller Farm. Between 1874 and 1881 the city vacated the Lansing City Cemetery, located on the site of what would become Oak Park, and moved . . . — Map (db m103622) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L1353 — North Presbyterian Church
Side A On October 19, 1863, fourteen members of Lansing’s First Presbyterian Church signed the Articles of Association creating the Franklin Street Church Society. The society acquired a lot for a church from James Turner, a merchant and . . . — Map (db m103349) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L1140 — Rogers-Carrier House
Lansing architect Darius B. Moon built this Queen Anne style house in 1891 for realtor H. M. Rogers. Purchased by Lansing merchant M. R. Carrier in 1905, the house was occupied by the Carrier family until 1964. In 1966, Lansing Community College . . . — Map (db m103621) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L0987 — Trinity A.M.E. Church
Side 1 Trinity African Methodist Episcopal Church of Lansing is the oldest black church in the city. Its first services were held in a building on North Washington Avenue. The church formally organized by the Reverend Mr. Henderson of the . . . — Map (db m103507) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L0238 — Turner-Dodge House
Side A James Turner, a Lansing pioneer, originally owned this property. A native of New York, Turner came to Lansing in 1847 from nearby Mason, where he was a merchant. He immediately opened a general store in the Seymour House, the first . . . — Map (db m103348) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L2141 — Union Depot
The Union Depot began passenger service for the Michigan Central and Pere Marquette Railroads in 1902. The Detroit architectural firm of Spier and Rohns, which planned many Michigan Central stations, designed the building with Chateauesque conical . . . — Map (db m103659) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — 766 — Woodbury-Kerns House
Darius B. Moon, prominent turn-of-the century Lansing architect, designed this Queen Anne house in 1896 for Chester E. Woodbury, founder of the Lansing Capitol Savings and Loan Association. The structure’s last residential owner was William G. . . . — Map (db m103322) HM
Michigan (Iron County), Iron River — 213 — First Roadside Park
In 1918 the Iron County Board of Supervisors approved the recommendation of the road commission, through its engineer-manager, Herbert F. Larson, to purchase this 320-acre tract of roadside virgin timber and to dedicate it as a forest preserve. The . . . — Map (db m103471) HM
Michigan (Iron County), Iron River — Larson Park
Mining Bates Township had three mines: The Bates, Chicagon, and Rogers. Together they shipped a total of 8,196,380 tons of ore from 1909-1947. Forestry Larson Park sits in a tract of 320 acres of old growth forest. There are two . . . — Map (db m103472) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Tipton — L123 — Davenport House
In 1834 Henry W. Sisson of New York settled here and built a log tavern, located on Evans Lake where the Chicago Road enters the Irish Hills. The tavern was purchased in 1839 by John Davenport, who owned the property until 1864. During this time the . . . — Map (db m103701) HM
Montana (Gallatin County), West Yellowstone — 1 — Union Pacific Identification Pylon
This Property Contributes To The West Yellowstone Oregon Shortline Terminus Historic District Listed In The National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of Interior In Cooperation With The . . . — Map (db m103600) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), White Oaks — Susan McSween Barber “Cattle Queen of New Mexico” 1845-1931
Her second husband was George Barber. Under the Desert Land Act, they patented 400 acres in 1883. The act required irrigating the land and in 1881 Susan built a dam across Three Rivers stream and a half-mile ditch to convey water to her property. By . . . — Map (db m103652) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Port Byron — Blacksmith Shop and Mule ShedPort Byron / Old Erie Canal Heritage Park
The mules that pulled boats along the Erie Canal were cared for here, fed and shoed. — Map (db m103563) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Port Byron — Glaciers, Drumlins, and High Level LakesPort Byron / Old Erie Canal Heritage Park
During the ice ages of the last 2 million years, glaciers sculpted the land surface forming, amongst other features, the many rounded and elongated hills called drumlins that are seen from the Thruway between Rochester and Syracuse. From this . . . — Map (db m103583) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Port Byron — Port Byron's Lock 52
Lock 52 on the Erie Canal was once a busy place. Built in 1851 and lengthened on the berm side in 1887 to accommodate two boats hitched together in tandem, the lock created a popular stopping point for canal boatmen. The 11-foot lift at Lock 52 . . . — Map (db m103581) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Port Byron — Tanner's Dry Dock
About two hundred feet from here was once the location of the D. B. Tanner Dry Dock, built in 1863 on the former Clinton's Ditch alignment. Craftmen built and repaired canal cargo boats in the dry docks that carried grain, coal, lumber and the . . . — Map (db m103582) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Port Byron — The Erie Canal in Port ByronErie Canal Heritage Park at Port Byron — Today's Canal System in New York
The Erie Canal in Port Byron When the original Erie Canal or "Clinton's Ditch" was completed here in 1819, Port Byron was transformed from a frontier settlement to a thriving canal town. Indeed, the local citizens were so hopeful with the new . . . — Map (db m103580) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Port Byron — The Erie HousePort Byron / Old Erie Canal Heritage Park
This 1894 saloon and hotel belonged to the Van Detto family, recently arrived Italian immigrants. Located a few hundred feet east of Lock 52, the Erie House was a popular destination for the canal community. — Map (db m103562) HM
New York (Erie County), Cheektowaga — ForksCheektowaga Historic Rails to Trails
The area of Cheektowaga known as Forks, New York is located in the middle of the town at the junction of Broadway & Union Roads. A major railroad station was at this location and in the 1920s the present Town Hall was built. Behind the now . . . — Map (db m103646) HM
New York (Genesee County), Alabama — Schafer Farms
Schafer Farms Beginning in 1919 three genreations of the Shafer family, led by Emil, John, and Paul, produced potatoes on this property for 92 consecutive years. — Map (db m103561) HM
New York (Orange County), Highland Falls — All Services Guardian Angel
The Cadet Honor Code A Cadet will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do. Alma Mater Hail, Alma Mater, dear! To us be ever near. Help us thy motto bear, thru’ all the years. Let duty be well performed, honor be e’er untarned, . . . — Map (db m103706) HM
New York (Saint Lawrence County), De Kalb — DeKalb Junction
DeKalb Junction Ogdensburg branch of R.W. and O.R.R. opened August 20, 1862. Hamlet quickly grew up around the new railroad station, machine shop and wood sheds. — Map (db m103551) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Pfafftown — Ancient Poplar Tree
The C. G. Hill Memorial Park Ancient Poplar Tree An ancient poplar tree sprouted on this site before Columbus sailed for the New World. It grew to great height and breadth. After being struck by lightning, it decayed to form a hollow center . . . — Map (db m103725) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga), Chagrin Falls — 35-18 — The Chagrin River's "High Falls"
The Chagrin River was named for Francois Seguin, a Frenchman who traded with Native Americans in Northeast Ohio circa 1742. The "High Falls" of the Chagrin River primarily attracted settlers from New England (circa 1833) seeking a location with . . . — Map (db m103458) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Solon — 107-18 — Solon Town CenterDisciples of Christ Church 1845-1951
In 1845. the Disciples of Christ built the first of three churches to occupy this site. They built a second. larger structure, to replace the original in 1858. On August 6th. 1860. 29 year-old circuit minister Brother James A. Garfield. the future . . . — Map (db m103474) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Sylvania — 1850 Barn
This is a replica of a barn built in 1850 on Sylvania-Metamora Road. In 2000, the original barn was dismantled and the timber beams were transported to the Historical Village where they were used in the reconstruction of the barn. The original . . . — Map (db m103703) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Sylvania — 1858 Railroad Depot
The showpiece of the Historical Village is the original railroad depot building that served Sylvania residents for 98 years, from 1858 to 1956. It is the oldest train depot in existance in the State of Ohio. Built in 1858 and originally . . . — Map (db m103676) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Sylvania — Railroad Car Barn
This building is a reproduction of the center bays of the original Sylvania interurban car barn. It was located on South Main Street at Ten Mile Creek (near Sautter's Foodcenter). It houses two important pieces of Sylvania's rail history. . . . — Map (db m103650) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Sylvania — Sister City Garden
Enjoy this beautiful and peaceful setting on the grounds of the Sylvania Historical Village. It celebrates the alliance of Sylvania with its sister city of Woodstock, Ontario in Canada. This alliance was formed between the two cities in 1992. . . . — Map (db m103611) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Sylvania — Sylvania Heritage Museum
This circa 1902 house was the home and office of Dr. Uriah A. Cooke. His physician's office is still intact. Adjacent to the office is a replica of an early 1900's apothecary. The three-story house features the original hardwood flooring, window . . . — Map (db m103578) HM
Ohio (Washington County), Beverly — Fort Frye
About 600 feet south of this site and near the river stood Fort Fry occupied during the Indian War 1791–1795. This fort protected the Waterford settlers during the period of the war. Waterford was founded by the Second Association of . . . — Map (db m103732) HM
Ohio (Washington County), Beverly — 3-84 — The Buckeye Belle Explosion
On November 12, 1852, the riverboat Buckeye Belle exploded at this site. Twenty-four people died and a dozen were injured in the worst steamboat disaster on the Muskingum River. An eyewitness described the scene: “The bank of the . . . — Map (db m103735) HM
Ohio (Washington County), Marietta — 21-84 — Catherine Fay Ewing / Frances Dana Gage
Catherine Fay Ewing. Catherine Fay Ewing is credited with starting the Children’s Home System in Ohio. Born on July 12, 1822, in Westboro, Massachusetts,. her family moved to Marietta in 1835. At age sixteen, Catherine studied to be a teacher . . . — Map (db m103673) HM
Ohio (Washington County), Marietta — Children’s Home
Washington County Children’s Home, Ohio’s first, and in 1867 the nation’s first supported by taxes, was founded in 1858 by Catherine Fay Ewing at her farm home in Moss Run, Ohio. — Map (db m103721) HM
Ohio (Washington County), Marietta — Christ United Methodist Church
Methodism was brought to Marietta by Wesleyan circuit riders Robert Manley (1799) and Peter Cartwright (1806), and by German Methodist Carl Best (1839). Present building was dedicated 1885. — Map (db m103671) HM
Ohio (Washington County), Marietta — House of Seven Porches
Built in 1835 by Marietta College Professor Diarca H. Allen. Was long known as the Buell, then the Kelso House. — Map (db m103574) HM
Ohio (Washington County), Marietta — Memorial to the Revolutionary Soldiers Buried in Marietta
Erected by the Marietta Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, as a memorial to the revolutionary soldiers buried in Marietta and to honor the heroic men and women who faced the wilderness with courage and hope to create the Great Northwest. . . . — Map (db m103515) WM
Ohio (Washington County), Marietta — Mound Square
A work of the Moundbuilders, reserved for the public use by the Founders of Marietta in 1788. Set aside as a cemetery in 1800. First burial was in 1801. “I know many of the Ohio Company personally. Never were men better calculated to . . . — Map (db m103642) HM
Ohio (Washington County), Marietta — St. Paul’s Church
Marietta’s second oldest, the German Evangelical “Kirche” built 1849. Became St. Paul’s Evangelical Church 1872. English sermons began in 1909. — Map (db m103541) HM
Ohio (Washington County), Vincent — 18-84 — Ephraim Cutler
Ephraim Cutler (1767-1853) arrived in Marietta from Connecticut in 1795. Prominent in southeast Ohio, Cutler was appointed judge of the court of common pleas and justice of the peace, surveyed land for the Ohio Company, and was a trustee of Ohio . . . — Map (db m103728) HM
Ohio (Washington County), Waterford — The Peninsula
Waterford Township was organized in 1790. The “Donation Grant” of 1792 to Rufus Putnam stipulated the “Peninsula” was to be the community of Waterford. It was laid out in 3 acre lots, first owned by the Devol Family and later . . . — Map (db m103729) HM
Pennsylvania, Monterey — The Battle of Monterey PassThe Initial Breakthrough
General Kilpatrick, quartered at the Monterey Inn, ordered artillery to support Custer’s troopers. Near the present-day golf course, Captain Alexander Pennington deployed two rifled cannon and began to shell the Confederate battle line with case . . . — Map (db m103489) HM
Pennsylvania, Monterey — The Battle of Monterey PassA Wild and Desolate Scene
The 1st West Virginia Cavalry arrived and were ordered to charge the Confederate cannon on this side of the bridge. Seeing the West Virginians in their front, Confederate Captain William Tanner ordered the cannon to fire its last two shots before . . . — Map (db m103499) HM
Pennsylvania, Monterey — The Battle of Monterey PassConfederate Reinforcements Arrive
The Confederate defenders of Captain George Emack’s company of the First Maryland Cavalry, supported by Captain Tanner’s artillery detachment, were deployed in this area. As the battle continued past midnight, reinforcements began to arrive. The 4th . . . — Map (db m103500) HM
Pennsylvania, Monterey — The Retreat From GettysburgLongstreet's Corps
On July 5, Confederate General James Longstreet’s Corps marched from Fairfield, along the Jack’s Mountain Road to Fountaindale. From there, Longstreet’s Corps marched to Monterey Pass, along the Emmitsburg and Waynesboro Turnpike. General John B. . . . — Map (db m103486) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Fairfield — Major Samuel S. Starr
Major Samuel S. Starr and other wounded officers of the 6th U.S. Cavalry were cared for here July 3, 1863 — Map (db m103691) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Wexford — Borough of Bradford WoodsMay 3, 1915
Named for landowner Thomas Bradford. Bradford Woods was first settled along the Harmony Trolley Line as a summer retreat in the fresh country air. It was Incorporated so that a school could be established for the children of the community. — Map (db m103658) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Monterey — The Battle of Monterey PassThe Wolverines Fight
Union General George A. Custer’s cavalry brigade advanced here, along the banks of red run, deploying along both sides of the road. The 5th Michigan Cavalry deployed to the right, while the 7th, 6th and portions of the 1st Michigan Cavalry deployed . . . — Map (db m103483) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Waynesboro — Cupola – Waynesboro’s Crown Jewel
She inspired, she endured for 52 years, she symbolized the future of education in the Waynesboro area. Waynesboro High School 1937-1954 Waynesboro Area Senior High School 1954-1962 East Junior High School 1962-1989 Superintendent – . . . — Map (db m103546) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Lake — Sullivan Bridge
General John Sullivan’s 1779 Revolutionary War expedition built a road through this area. Only one bridge was required from Easton to Wilkes-Barre, and it crossed Tobyhanna Creek here. Camped nearby, over 500 troops completed the difficult . . . — Map (db m103664) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Lake — William Henry ChristmanFirst At Arlington
During the Civil War, Christman of Pocono Lake enlisted in the 67th Regiment of the Pennsylvania Volunteers. He sent his military pay and enlistment bonus to his penniless parents so they could buy land for a family home and farm. On May 13, 1864 . . . — Map (db m103670) HM
Pennsylvania (Susquehanna County), Harford — Original Congregational Bell

Installed in 1836 Removed in 1941 and replaced by Methodist Bell of 1878 Placed here in 1978

Bell donated by Dr. Ray A. Barnard

Mounting in memory of Devere B. Decker — Map (db m103739) HM

South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 90 East Bay Street Ancrum Wharf BuildingCirca 1781 — Altered circa 1855
The Ancrum Wharf Building was constructed by Parker Quince and John Ancrum, both North Carolina natives, who were married to Savannah and Mary Rhett. The Rhett sisters were heirs to Col. William Rhett. The Ancrum Wharf Building is one of the . . . — Map (db m103639) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — 3C 52 — Bethel Meeting House
In 1812 pioneer preachers Peter Cartwright, Henry B. Bascom, and Thomas A. Morris preached to area settlers in a log structure at this site. Tradition has it that the Bell Witch attended a service here and at a meeting later that night quoted the . . . — Map (db m103548) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — Legion Street
In the early 1920's, the area from Public Square to Second Street known as Strawberry Alley, was widened and extended to Third Street and the area designated Legion Street to honor the veterans of World War I. In 2008, under the leadership of Mayor . . . — Map (db m103549) HM WM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — The Lynching of Ell Persons
Side One Near this spot on May 22, 1917, a lynching party chained Ell Persons to a log, doused him in gasoline, and burned him alive. An estimated 5,000 spectators witnessed his death or viewed his remains soon afterward. Persons, a black . . . — Map (db m103638) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 125th O.V.I."Opdycke's Tigers" — 1st Brigade 2nd Division 4th Corps U.S.
The 125th O.V.I. was formed at Camp Cleveland, Ohio in August of 1862. The regiment was stationed in Franklin in the spring of 1863. On November 30, 1864, the 125th were in reserve 150 yards north of the Carter house with Opdycke’s brigade. Without . . . — Map (db m103620) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 183rd Ohio Volunteer InfantryThird Brigade — 2nd Division 23rd Corps U.S.
The 183rd Ohio was mustered into Federal Service November 13, 1864 at Camp Dennison, Ohio. With 700 officers and enlisted men present, it arrived at Rutherford Creek on November 28th and was engaged in skirmishing at Spring Creek the following day. . . . — Map (db m103619) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 3" Ordinance Gun
Made and presented to Confederate Memorial Park by Harold Winstead in honor of his ancestor, Samuel Winstead, in whose honor this hill was named and who is buried 200 yds. NW of this location. — Map (db m103588) WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — A Dream PostponedThe Struggle of Freed People in Williamson County
To assist the newly freed with court cases, education, and housing, Congress formed the Freedmen’s Bureau in 1865. An additional goal of the Bureau was to help create labor contracts between white landowners and the formerly enslaved. In October . . . — Map (db m103487) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Advancing With Scott's BrigadeFollowing in Their Footsteps
(preface) This walkway traces the route that the men of Confederate Gen. Thomas M. Scott’s brigade took in the Battle of Franklin. Read below to see what it was like then and to follow in their footsteps Distance to Union Lines: 1,200 . . . — Map (db m103665) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Advancing With Scott's BrigadeFollowing in Their Footsteps
(preface) This walkway traces the route that the men of Confederate Gen. Thomas M. Scott’s brigade took in the Battle of Franklin. Read below to see what it was like then and to follow in their footsteps Distance to Union Lines: 1,500 . . . — Map (db m103667) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Bate's DivisionCheatham’s Corps — Army of Tennessee C.S.A.
Maj. Gen. Wm. B. Bate’s division consisted of Smith’s Tennessee-Georgia, Bullock’s Florida and Jackson’s Georgia brigades. The division, struck the main line west of Brown’s Division, their right in the locust grove and their left at the Carter’s . . . — Map (db m103616) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of FranklinArtillery Hellfire
Several Federal gun crews delivered relentless fire to this portion of the Franklin battlefield late in the afternoon of November 30, 1864. At least fourteen of the Union’s thirty-six fieldpieces engaged at Franklin could hit the Eastern flank here. . . . — Map (db m103508) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of FranklinInto the Twilight
Visibility was always a critical factor in Civil War battles. Officers and enlisted men needed clear lines of sight to know where to move, when to stay in place, and in which direction to shoot. At the Battle of Franklin, two important factors . . . — Map (db m103685) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of FranklinThe Landscape Shapes the Battle
During the Civil War, topography played a major role in shaping events. The Battle of Franklin was a prime example. When Confederate Gen. John Bell Hood’s 20,000 men charged across these fields, the steep hills to their left and the angling . . . — Map (db m103686) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of Franklin, AftermathUnion POWs and the Sultana Disaster
More than 700 Union soldiers were made prisoners before, during, and after the Battle of Franklin. Although the war was almost over, many of them would never see their homes again. The vast majority were taken to prison camps in Cahaba, Alabama, and . . . — Map (db m103505) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of Franklin, Eastern FlankRecruiting For War
On September 28, 1861, local men sympathetic to the Confederacy gathered in this field to form the Williamson County Cavalry (Co. F, 4th Tennessee Cavalry). The local newspaper pronounced the company composed of “about 100 of the finest . . . — Map (db m103480) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of Franklin, Eastern FlankLoring's Division
In the Battle of Franklin, Confederate Gen. William W. Loring’s division formed the far right flank of the Confederate assault line. Numbering approximately 3,500 men, it marched across these fields and smashed into the Federal lines. The attempt to . . . — Map (db m103482) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of Franklin, Eastern FlankCasualties in Perspective
How costly was the Battle of Franklin? More Americans became casualties in this five-hour battle than were lost in the first twenty-four hours of the Invasion of Normandy on June 6, 1944, the largest amphibious assault in history. In both . . . — Map (db m103484) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of Franklin, Eastern FlankDistances to Local & State Landmarks
(map panels) (left) Distances to Local Landmarks (right) Distances to Major Landmarks — Map (db m103509) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of Franklin, Eastern FlankNashville & Decatur Railroad
About 600 yards (550 meters) in front of you is the Nashville & Decatur Railroad. During the war, this line was only a few years old, but it was the most direct north-south transportation route through Middle Tennessee. Consequently, it was one . . . — Map (db m103635) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of Franklin, Eastern FlankThe Average Soldier
Whether in the Union or Confederate ranks, the typical Civil War soldier at Franklin came from a rural world. More than likely, he lived in the countryside or in a town about the size of Franklin, which had a population of about 750 at the time. . . . — Map (db m103636) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of Franklin, Eastern FlankShells from Fort Granger
About one mile (1.6 km) directly north of you stands Fort Granger, a large earthen fortification that provided the Union army a commanding view over much of this area. Built in the spring of 1863, Fort Granger sat on top of Figuers’ Bluff . . . — Map (db m103637) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of Franklin, Eastern FlankLewisburg Pike Toll House
Road construction boomed in Tennessee during the mid-1800s, and the Nashville area was the state’s primary highway hub. Private companies built most of the roads, and they placed tollhouses along the routes to collect fees to cover costs and create . . . — Map (db m103666) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of Franklin, Eastern FlankMcGavock Slaves and the Civil War
Of Tennessee’s 83 counties in 1860, only in three did slaves outnumber whites. Two were near the Mississippi Rover, where large plantations flourished. The third was Williamson County. The McGavocks of Carnton, who owned 39 people in 1860, were . . . — Map (db m103687) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Brigadier's Walk
The sense of pride, honor and integrity of the everyday fighting man made the brilliant careers of these five Brigadier Generals possible. Largely non-slave holding, these brave men of the Army of Tennessee followed Adams, Carter, Strahl, Gist and . . . — Map (db m103592) HM WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Brown's DivisionArmy of Tennessee — C.S.A.
This division, commanded by Major General John C. Brown, consisted or Gordon’s, Strahl’s and Carter’s Tennessee Brigades, and Gist’s South Carolina and Georgia Brigade. They were engaged south and west of the Carter House to the locust grove. Around . . . — Map (db m103617) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Captain Theodrick (Tod) Carter20th Tennessee Volunteer Infantry Smith’s Brigade — Bate’s Division, Cheatham’s Corps, Army of Tennessee C.S.A.
Born at the Carter House March 24, 1840 and educated at the Harpeth Academy. He was an attorney-at-law and a Master Mason. Tod enlisted in Co. H, 20th Tenn. Inf. May 1, 1862. Appointed Assistant Quarter Master on Oct. 24, 1862 and served as a war . . . — Map (db m103618) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Cleburne’s DivisionArmy of Tennessee — C.S.A.
This division was commanded by Major General Patrick R. Cleburne, and consisted of Granbury’s Texas Brigade, Govan’s Arkansas Brigade, and Lowry’s Alabama and Mississippi Brigade. They were engaged around the Cotton Gin, which stood S.E. of the . . . — Map (db m103615) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Cockrell's Missouri Brigade CSA
On this field of honor Missouri men of Cockrell’s Brigade fought and died for Southern independence November 30, 1864 Franklin, Tennessee Presented by Missourians of the Sons of Confederate Veterans and his friends in memory of . . . — Map (db m103597) WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Confederate Reunions at McGavock's Grove
Years after the Civil War ended, veterans slowly began to form reunions. Among the most common gathering sites were cemeteries, where survivors paid homage to their fallen comrades. The McGavock Confederate Cemetery was one such meeting place. . . . — Map (db m103488) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Federal BreastworksBattle of Franklin
The breastworks, thirty yards south, were held by Grose’s Brigade, Kimball’s Division of the Fourth U.S. Army Corps on Nov. 30, 1864. Around 5 p.m., the brigade was attacked by two regiments of Finley’s Florida Brigade, C.S.A. The Floridians . . . — Map (db m103623) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Fort Granger Federal Garrison
The Federal Garrison at Franklin centered on the earthworks fortification on Figuers’ Bluff. Detached works included Gen Granger’s headquarters at a smaller works some 700 yards east at Ralston Lane, gun emplacement on Liberty Pike east of Ralston . . . — Map (db m103626) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Freeman's Battery, Forrest's Artillery
Dedicated to Freeman’s Battery, Forrest’s Artillery and Samuel L. Freeman, Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest’s first artillery captain. The battery was captured on the Lewisburg Pike near Franklin, TN, April 10, 1863 — Map (db m103587) HM WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Hood's Retreat
Following the Battle of Franklin, the Union army dashed north into their supply base of Nashville and its vast network of fortifications where Gen. George H. Thomas had assembled a sizeable force. In pursuit came Gen. John Bell Hood’s battered . . . — Map (db m103490) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Main Entrenchment Federal Battle Line
Battle of Franklin, November 30, 1864. Federal commander, Gen. John M. Schofield. Confederate commander, Gen. John B. Hood. Bloodiest battle of the War Between the States for numbers involved. In this battle fell six Confederate generals: Cleburne, . . . — Map (db m103601) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Major General Patrick R. Cleburne CSA
“Well, Govan, if we are to die, let us die like men.” Nov. 30, 1864 Presented as a tribute to General Cleburne and his gallant division by Dr. and Mrs. David R. Watts — Map (db m103598) WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Mississippi
Twas November Thirtieth, Eighteen Sixty-Four Mississippi’s sons and fathers into battle again were poured. The young and the old. The brave and the bold. Their mission all too plain – to charge across what would be Franklin’s bloody plain. . . . — Map (db m103590) WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Retreat Action at Franklin
On Dec 17, 1864, perhaps the largest cavalry engagement on American soil took place along Franklin Pike and the Nashville & Decatur RR sweeping across what is now Harlinsdale farm. Maj Gen James H. Wilson’s US Cavalry Corps pursued Hood’s retreating . . . — Map (db m103625) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Tennessee, A Grave or a Free Home
No words can describe the courage, endurance, and gallantry of the Army of Tennessee. They marched, fought, bled, and died for a Cause they knew was right. On that Indian Summer afternoon of November 30, 1864, the courageous Army of Tennessee . . . — Map (db m103589) WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — The Long Road to Recovery
The last state to leave the Union, Tennessee became the first to reenter in 1866. But the end of the Civil War did not bring an end to hardships. no other state except Virginia except Virginia experienced more military engagements than Tennessee. . . . — Map (db m103485) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Winstead Hill Observation PostBattle of Franklin — Wed. November 30, 1864
“The line advanced at 4 p.m. with orders to drive the enemy into or across the Big Harpeth River… Never did troops fight more gallantly.” Gen. John Bell Hood Army of Tennessee Confederate States of America — Map (db m103599) HM WM
Vermont (Windsor County), Bethel — Eighteen Hundred And Froze To Death / United Church Of Bethel
Eighteen Hundred and Froze to Death The year 1816 was known worldwide as "the cold year", "the famine year", and "the year without a summer". Vermonters called it "Eighteen Hundred and Froze to Death", as snow fell on June 7 and frosts came . . . — Map (db m103554) HM
Virginia (Culpeper County), Brandy Station — Battle of Brandy StationJune 9, 1863 Stevensburg Area
After crossing at Kelley's Ford, Col. Duffie's division on their way to Stevensburg, were met by a small Confederate force just east of Stevensburg, on Hansboro Ridge. Duffie's huge force easily pushed through the Confederates who were badly . . . — Map (db m103532) HM
Virginia (Culpeper County), Brandy Station — Hansborough Ridge
The Battle of Brandy Station actually occurred in several locations, miles apart. A mile in front of you is Hansborough Ridge. Late in the morning of June 9, 1863, a division of the Union Cavalry under Col. Alfred Duffie approached the ridge from . . . — Map (db m103534) HM
Virginia (Culpeper County), Brandy Station — Norman's Mills Ford
Serving the public as a crossing of Mountain Run on the Carolina Road (Raleigh to Philadelphia) from Colonial days until 1900, when a single lane, three span, steel truss bridge was constructed, just west of the dam. This bridge was replaced in the . . . — Map (db m103529) HM
Virginia (Culpeper County), Brandy Station — The Hold at Mountain RunDeath of Farley and Wounding of Butler
June 9, 1863 - 12:30 pm to 3:00 pm This map prepared from the first hand account of Col. Butler, other historians, and the personal account of the family, who in the early 1950s cleared, leveled and ditched this bottom for cultivation, . . . — Map (db m103533) HM
Virginia, Fredericksburg — Industrial Interlude
The Rappahannock River has been the life blood of Fredericksburg, its velocity feeding five industrial raceways and its flow providing drinking water to three jurisdictions. From around 1770 through 2004, various types of dams diverted part of the . . . — Map (db m103521) HM
Virginia (King William County), Manquin — "Old Virginia Barn"
This early 1800's bank barn is of post and beam construction. Most of the timber was hand hewed. Livestock were confined to the ground level and grain and feed were stored on the main level. The property was part of The Upper College Tract, a grant . . . — Map (db m103586) HM
Virginia (King William County), Manquin — "Prestley Barn"Built in 1925
James L. Townsend Sr. was a pioneer in the dairy industry in King William County, Virginia. His son, Guy O. Townsend built the barn which has been a landmark on the Richmond-Tappahannock Highway for almost 90 years. A later addition at the end of . . . — Map (db m103585) HM
Virginia (Loudoun County), Leesburg — Confederate EarthworksGuarding the Potomac River Frontier
Across the ground in front of you are the remains of Confederate infantry earthworks most likely built after the Battle of Ball’s Bluff on October 21, 1861. At this time, Leesburg was on the front lines of the American Civil War and an outpost on . . . — Map (db m103689) HM
Virginia (Orange County), Montpelier Station — Civil War & Gilmore Farm Trail
Roundtrip: One mile of level woodland trails An easy walk through a Confederate winter camp to the Gilmore Farm, home of freed Montpelier slave, George Gilmore and his wife, Polly. Montpelier During the War After Dolley Madison sold . . . — Map (db m103579) HM
Virginia (Orange County), Montpelier Station — Confederate EncampmentReconstructing a Company Street
Modern re-enactors from the 3rd Regiment of the Army of Northern Virginia constructed these huts. Like the South Carolina Brigade before them, the re-enactors cut these logs from the surrounding woods. The trees around you are about the same age as . . . — Map (db m103406) HM
Virginia (Orange County), Montpelier Station — Gilmore Family Cemetery
George and Polly Gilmore's Graves This area contains several graves of the Gilmore family. Most prominent among these are the graves of George and Polly Gilmore who are buried beneath the depressions in front of this sign. These depressions . . . — Map (db m103407) HM
Virginia, Suffolk — Cedar Hill Cemetery
Cedar Hill Cemetery sits on the site of a farm owned by the John Constant family in the early 1700’s. In 1802, the Town of Suffolk purchased 2½ acres of the farm to build a community meeting house as a shared house of worship for both blacks . . . — Map (db m103516) HM
Virginia, Suffolk — Korea and Vietnam Wars Memorial
. . . — Map (db m103511) WM
Virginia, Suffolk — Spanish War Veterans Memorial
. . . — Map (db m103518) WM
Virginia, Suffolk — World War I Monument
(front) In memory of the men of Suffolk and Nansemond County who gave their lives in the World War 1917-1919 They sought not glory, but their country’s good and died that right, which is more precious than peace, might prevail. . . . — Map (db m103517) WM
Virginia, Suffolk — World War II Memorial1941 1945
Dedicated to those who made the supreme sacrifice during World War II Louis M. Artis • Spencer Baker • Lee C. Baggett • Joseph H. Bagley • John G. Barnes • Clyde E. Benton • Howard W. Benton • Arthur M. Bemberry • Horace B. Bittle • James L. . . . — Map (db m103513) WM
West Virginia (Jefferson County), Bolivar — Simon Bolivar1783 - 1830

Liberator of Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador Peru, Panama and founder of Bolivia

Presented by The President of Venezuela to Bolivar, West Virginia — Map (db m103645) HM WM

West Virginia (Jefferson County), Charles Town — Charles Town Schools

Following the election in 1846, Jefferson County became one of the first counties in Virginia to approve free schools for white students. Prior to that time boys and girls paid to attend private academies. The county was divided into 27 . . . — Map (db m103644) HM

West Virginia (Jefferson County), Charles Town — Davenport Brothers Revolutionary War Memorial

To the Glory of Patriotism In memory of Abraham Davenport and his wife Mary Simms. Their seven sons were soldiers of the American Revolution ——————— Stephen, Abraham, John, . . . — Map (db m103512) WM

West Virginia (Jefferson County), Charles Town — Etter Hall

In 1799, prominent Charles Town resident Samuel Washington sold the two lots that house this building to James Duke, a freed indentured servant. Eventually, physician Charles Taylor Richardson took ownership of the land and property. Dr. . . . — Map (db m103606) HM

West Virginia (Jefferson County), Charles Town — Etter Hall

Etter Hall is named after American Public University System's (APUS) founder, Major James P. Etter. Major Etter served in the United States Marines for twenty-one years. He served two tours in Vietnam and received two Purple Hearts. Major Etter . . . — Map (db m103607) HM

West Virginia (Jefferson County), Charles Town — George Upshur Manning
. . . — Map (db m103526) WM
West Virginia (Jefferson County), Charles Town — George Washington Turner

There sleeps beneath all that was mortal of GEORGE W. TURNER Born at Wheatland in the County of Jefferson Jany. 11th 1814. Graduated at West Point 1831, and fell nobly maintaining the rights of his State at . . . — Map (db m103553) HM

West Virginia (Jefferson County), Charles Town — Sergeant Littleton Tazewell Cordell

Serg't Littleton Tazewell Cordell Mar. 22. 1882 - Oct. 23. 1918. 110th. Bat. Mach. Gun Co. 29th. Div. Blue & Gray. Killed in Action at Battle of Etraye Ridge, Argonne Forest. France. "In life loved, in death remembered" By . . . — Map (db m103573) WM

West Virginia (Jefferson County), Charles Town — Williams House

The Williams House was built between 1900 and 1914 by the Blum family as their private residence. After moving to Charles Town, Dr. Leah Mildred Williams, a female physician, purchased the home in 1954. Dr. Williams began her family medical . . . — Map (db m103643) HM

West Virginia (Jefferson County), Harpers Ferry — Camp HillDiscover Harpers Ferry

You are in the Camp Hill area of Harpers Ferry. Explore Camp Hill's history with exhibits in front of the Morrell, Brackett, and Lockwood houses and Mather Training Center. Side trails in Harper Cemetery and in front of Mather Training Center . . . — Map (db m103584) HM

West Virginia (Jefferson County), Harpers Ferry — Riley House1826
Built in 1826 as a private residence, this Federal style house was acquired by the War Department in 1837 and became U.S. Armory dwelling No. 55. Jefferson Davis signed the deed in 1852 when the government sold the house to Armory worker James . . . — Map (db m103455) HM
West Virginia (Jefferson County), Harpers Ferry — The Black Americans

In memory of The Black Americans who fought here for freedom from human slavery

June, 1976 — Map (db m103575) HM

West Virginia (Jefferson County), Harpers Ferry — The John Brown Raiders
This plaque is dedicated to the John Brown raiders, a group of men led by John Brown who, at Harpers Ferry on October 17, 1859 struck a blow against slavery.

Killed at Harpers Ferry Jeremiah Anderson • Oliver Brown • Watson Brown • John . . . — Map (db m103497) HM

West Virginia (Jefferson County), Harpers Ferry — Virginia Lodge No. 1The Independent Order of Odd Fellows

The brick house in front of you was once part of the United States Armory complex. Prominent Armory officials lived along this street. During the Civil War, Union soldiers camped and drilled here. Inside the house they scrawled their names on . . . — Map (db m103605) HM

West Virginia (Jefferson County), Harpers Ferry — Welcome to St. Peter’s Roman Catholic Church
High above the storied town of Harpers Ferry, with the tranquil waters of the Shenandoah River flowing just below, sits historic St. Peter’s Church. Deeply rooted in the rich history of the Church in West Virginia, the Civil war, and one of the . . . — Map (db m103506) HM
West Virginia (Jefferson County), Shepherdstown — Entler HotelBuilt 1786

has been entered in the National Register of Historical Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m103675) HM


206 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 6
Paid Advertisement