Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

2383 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 2183
 
Antonio Salieri Marker - Wide View image, Touch for more information
By Andrew Ruppenstein, June 14, 2017
Antonio Salieri Marker - Wide View
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Antonio Salieri
An dieser Stelle stand das Wohn- und Sterbehaus des Komponisten und Hofkapellmeisters Antonio Salieri 1750 - 1825 [English translation:] At this location stood the house in which the . . . — Map (db m105039) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Belvedere Film Productions
In diesem Haus wurde 1946 Die Belvedere Filmproduktion von August Diglas Emmerich Hanus Elfi von Dassanowsky gegründet Dieses ersten Nachkriegs-Studio hat wesentliche Beitrage für den oesterreichischen Film . . . — Map (db m105157) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Café Frauenhuber
1788 gründete hier der Leibkoch der Kaiserin Maria Theresia, Franz Jahn ein Nobelrestaurant, eine sogenannte Traiteurie, wo berühmte Konzerte stattfanden. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart führte hier 1788 ein Pastorale von Händel, und . . . — Map (db m105053) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Charles de L'Ecluse (Clusius)
Hier wohnte von 1573 bis 1588 Charles de L'Ecluse, genannt Clusius aus Arras, der berühmteste Botaniker seiner Zeit. Errichtet 1865 von der k.k. zool. bot. Gesellschaft in Wien
Map (db m105667) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Conradin Kreutzer
In diesem Haus wohnte im Jahre 1840 Conradin Kreutzer (1780 - 1849) Komponist and Kapellmeister am Kärntnertor - Theater [English translation:] In this house in 1840 lived Conradin . . . — Map (db m105063) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Egon Cäsar Conte Corti
Der Historiker und Schriftsteller Egon Cäsar Conte Corti wohnte im diesem Haus von 1933 bis 1953. Gewidmet von Schutzverband der österreichischen Schriftsteller im Verbund der geistig schaffenden . . . — Map (db m105470) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Emile Jacques-Dalcroze1865 - 1950
Komponist, Pianist, Pädagoge und Begründer der Rhythmik Er wurde im diesen Haus geboren und lebte hier bis 1875. Seine Methode beruht auf der Erziehung zur Musik und durch Musik. Rhythmik vereint Musik und Bewegung und ist in . . . — Map (db m105081) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Ferenc Rákóczi
[Marker text in Hungarian:] Ennek az épületnek á helyén allt a XVII. század végén az Aspremont-palota. Ilt szállt meg gyakori bécsi tartózkudásai idején az 1690-es években II. Rákóczi Ferenc, az . . . — Map (db m105870) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Franz Schubert
Wohnte 1822-23 in diesem Haus bei seinem Freunde Franz v. Schober u. schuf hier u.a. die H-Moll Sinfonie Lived in this house, 1822-23, with his friend Franz von Schober, and wrote here, amongst others, the B . . . — Map (db m105043) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Franz Schubert
In diesem Haus des einstigen k.k. Stadtkonviktes besuchte Franz Schubert von 1808 - 1813 das akademische Gymnasium als Pensionär & Hofsängerknabe Gestiftet v. Wiener Männer Gesang Verein . . . — Map (db m105110) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Franz Schubert
War von 1808 bis 1813 Schüler des akademischen Gymnasium, damals Bäckerstrasse 20. Österreichische Gesellschaft für Musik Bundesministerium für Unterricht und Kunst [English translation:] Was from . . . — Map (db m105119) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Frederic Chopin1810 - 1849
Wohnte von November 1830 bis Juli 1831 im 4. Stock des Hauses Kohlmarkt 9 das bis 1900 an dieser Stelle stand [English translation:] Lived from November 1830 to July 1831 on the fourth floor of the . . . — Map (db m104978) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Gottlieb Muffat
In einem Vorgängerbau dieses Hauses, dem sogenannten Eineder - oder Muffathaus, Lebten im 18. Jahrhundert mehrere Mitglieder der Musikerfamilie Muffat. Der Komponist und Kaiserliche Hof- und Kammerorganist Gottlieb . . . — Map (db m105034) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Greta Keller
In diesem Hause lebte viele Jahre Greta Keller 1903 - 1977 Chansonsängerin Schallplattenstar Gewidmet von Österreichische Lotterien 1999 [Lyrical text, above the main body:] Map (db m104981) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Hans Christian Andersen2. April 1805 in Odense / † 4. August 1875 in Kopenhagen
An dieser Stelle stand bis zum Ende des 19. Jahrhunderts das Haus Bognergasse 315 Vom 09. Juni 1834 bis 09. Juli 1834 wohnte der dänische Märchendichter Hans Christian Andersen im zweiten Stock dieses Hauses. . . . — Map (db m105142) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Josef Sonnleithner
In dem bis 1874 an dieser Stelle gestandenen Arkadenhaus lebte und starb Josef Sonnleithner (1766 - 1835), der 1812 die Gesellschaft der Musikfreunde in Wien gegründet hat. Gewidmet von der . . . — Map (db m105080) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Kurt Gödel
Der grosse Mathematiker und Logiker Kurt Gödel 1906 - 1978 hatte hier seinen letzen Wohnsitz vom 9.11.1939 bid zum 10.1.1940 bevor er Wien für immer verliess [English . . . — Map (db m105294) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Leoš Janáček
Der grosse tschechische Komponist Leoš Janáček wohnte hier anlässlich der Wiener Erstaufführung seiner Oper Jenufa an der k.k.Hofoper am 16.2.1918 [English translation:] The . . . — Map (db m104999) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Mark Twain
In diesem Gebäude wohnte von Oktober 1898 bis Mai 1899 der grosse amerikanische Schriftsteller Samuel Longhorne Clemens (1835-1910) bekannt als Mark Twain [English translation:] In . . . — Map (db m105488) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Mozart Lived Here
In diesem Haus wohnte MOZART im Jahre 1781 und componierte hier seine "Entführung aus dem Serail". [English translation:] In 1781 Mozart lived in this house and composed his The Abduction from . . . — Map (db m104867) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Mozart Lived Here
. . . — Map (db m104974) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — O5
O5 war das Geheimsymbol des Oesterr. Widerstands gegen das nationalsozialistische Schreckensregime 1938-1945 Diese Mahntafel wurde zum andenken an die ermordeten Widerstandskaempfer der oest. Widerstandsbewegung Unter Praes. . . . — Map (db m105417) WM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Pope Innocent XII (Antonio Pignatelli)
An dieser Stelle befand sich von 1630 bis 1913 die apostolische Nuntiatur. Hier wirkte von 1668 bis 1671 Antonio Pignatelli, der spätere Papst Innozenz XII. (1691-1700). Zur Erinnerung an seinen Todestag vor 300 . . . — Map (db m105701) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Roman Ruins
Im Jahre 1901 wurde beim Bau des Hauses an dieser Stelle ein Stück der Umfassungsmauer des römischen Lagers ausgegraben [English translation:] In 1901 during the construction of the house at this . . . — Map (db m105329) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — St. Michael's Church Women's World War I Memorial
Ehre und Dank den Frauen Österreichs für ihr heldenhaftes Wirkungen im Weltkriege 1914 - 1918 [English translation:] Honor and gratitude to the Women of Austria for their heroic efforts in the . . . — Map (db m105281) WM
Austria, Wien (Landstrasse), Vienna — Gustav Mahler1860 - 1911
Am 3. Juni 1945 wurde die Kunst des groszen Musikers dem österreichischen Kulturleben wiedergegeben. [English translation:] On June 3, 1945 the art of this great musician was again made part of . . . — Map (db m105088) HM
Austria, Wien (Landstrasse), Vienna — Leonard Bernstein
In diesem Hause trat der grosse Dirigent, Komponist und Pianist am 28. Mai 1948 zum ersten mal in Wien auf. [English translation:] In this concert hall on May 28, 1948, the great director, composer . . . — Map (db m105008) HM
Belize, Belize (Belize Rural Central), La Democracia — Ceiba Tree
Ceiba Tree Ceiba pentandra “Cotton Tree” This Ceiba tree was planted in 1991 The Ceiba tree was the Sacred Tree of the Ancient Maya Cotton-like fiber surrounds the seeds of the Ceiba Tree. These fibers are 8 times lighter than . . . — Map (db m104988) HM
Belize, Belize (Belize Rural Central), Ladyville — The Belize Defence Force Fallen
In memory of the members of The Belize Defence Force who died whilst in service “They will be remembered” Names of the fallen soldiers They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old: Age shall not weary them, nor . . . — Map (db m104926) HM
Belize, Belize (Belize Rural North), Rock Stone Pond — The Tomb of the Jade Head at Altun Ha
Tomb at Altun HaDiscovered deep within the huge stair block at the top of the Temple of Masonry Altars (Temple B4) of Altun Ha, was the tomb of an elderly priest along with the largest carved jade artifact ever recovered in the . . . — Map (db m104960) HM
Belize, Corozal, Corozal Town — 6 of 7 — Corozal Town Central ParkCorozal Town Historical Walk
Corozal Town Central ParkThe Central Plaza of Corozal Town has been used for various activities and events since the town was founded in 1849. Social, cultural, sporting events and even a brief occupation in 1870 by Marcus Canul, General of the . . . — Map (db m105064) HM
Belize, Corozal, Corozal Town — 5 of 7 — Corozal Town HallCorozal Town Historical Walk
Corozal Town HallIn 1952 the Corozal Town Hall was constructed. It was financed by the Baron Bliss Trust Fund. The large concrete building dominated the physical landscape with only two other concrete structures, the Catholic Church and the . . . — Map (db m105070) HM
Belize, Corozal, Corozal Town — Felipe Santiago Ricalde
. . . — Map (db m105057) HM
Belize, Corozal, Corozal Town — 7 of 7 — Fort BarleeCorozal Town Historical Walk
Fort Barlee Fort Barlee was constructed in Corozal Town by Lieutenant Governor Frederick Palgrave Barlee (pictured here) in the late 1870's. The fort was built to protect British interests and Yucatecan settlers in Corozal during the latter . . . — Map (db m105062) HM
Belize, Corozal, Corozal Town — 2 of 7 — Her Majesty's Prison
Her Majesty’s PrisonThe mid to late 1800's was unquestionably a period of unrest and instability along the Rio Hondo and Corozal Town. A substantial migration of Yucatecos fleeing the Caste Wars in Mexico led to an increase in population and . . . — Map (db m105069) HM
Belize, Corozal, Corozal Town — 1 of 7 — House of Culture/Public MarketCorozal Town Historical Walk
House of Culture/Public MarketArriving from England by ship in 1885, the cast iron frame of an intended market was assembled and a building was constructed along the shoreline close to the public pier. Inaugurated in 1886, the Corozal Town . . . — Map (db m105090) HM
Belize, Corozal, Corozal Town — 4 of 7 — Parish Office/Priest’s Residence/Xavier CollegeCorozal Town Historical Walk
Parish Office/Priest’s Residence/Xavier College The priest's residence or "El Convento" was constructed in early the 1890's. Its construction is attributed to Father Gillett who was one of the English Jesuit priests who came to Belize in the . . . — Map (db m105066) HM
Belize, Corozal, Corozal Town — 3 of 7 — Schofield ResidenceCorozal Town Historical Walk
Schofield ResidenceThe Schofield residence was constructed in the early 1880's when mature mahogany was still thriving in the forests of northern Belize which ensured its longevity into the 21st century. It has survived many hurricanes . . . — Map (db m105068) HM
Belize, Orange Walk, Indian Church — Royal Complex at Lamanai
Royal Complex N10-17 to 29The “Royal Complex” comprises structures N10-17 through N10-29 which can be dated from the Middle Late Classic (700-800 CE) through the Late Postclassic Period (1000-1100 CE). Excavation of . . . — Map (db m105101) HM
Belize, Orange Walk, Indian Church — Stela 9 at Lamanai
Stela 9This monument was erected at the end of the Middle Classic Period (600-800 CE). Stela 9 depicts Lord “Smoking Shell” holding a double headed ceremonial bar diagonally across his chest. The headdress depicted on this . . . — Map (db m105099) HM
Belize, Orange Walk, Indian Church — The High Temple at Lamanai
High Temple N10-43The Structure N10-43, 33 meters in height, is the tallest structure at the site of Lamanai and is also one of the largest Preclassic structure in the Maya area. The initial phase of construction for structure N10-43 began in . . . — Map (db m105098) HM
Belize, Toledo, Punta Gorda — Lila ‘Leela' Genus Vernon
Queen of Brokdong Lila ‘Leela' Genus Vernon (1950-) Born on October 21, 1950 • Referred to as the ‘Queen of Brokdong’, Lila Genus Vernon was born in Punta Gorda Town to a family of proud African heritage. • Her music and activism throughout . . . — Map (db m104977) HM
Belize, Toledo, Punta Gorda — The Rt. Hon. George Cadle Price
Dedicated to: The Rt. Hon. George Cadle Price Prime Minister of Belize, the Father of the Belizean Nation, who struggled to attain the independence of Belize, 1950-1981 Through the efforts of the people of Punta Gorda and The Hon. Michael . . . — Map (db m105026) HM
Belize, Toledo, San Pedro Columbia — Ball Court
Ball Court Structures 21 & 22 This ballcourt was built between 800-900 A.D. Four figurines and three metates (grinding stones) were found here. Amongst the construction fill material lay broken bits of stucco painted red and purplish-black. . . . — Map (db m105009) HM
Ontario (Algoma District), Bruce Mines — The Bruce Mines
The original claim to the Bruce Mine location was filed in September, 1846 by James Cuthbertson. It was acquired the following year by the Montreal Mining Company, and production commenced in 1847-48 at what became the first commercially successful . . . — Map (db m105635) HM
Ontario (Algoma District), Desbarats — "Ripple Rock"
The ripple marks on the adjacent rock face were made some two billion years ago by waves in a shallow body of water. Buried by later deposition of silt and then subjected to great pressure, the rippled sand became sandstone. The formation was . . . — Map (db m105638) HM
Ontario (Algoma District), Sault Ste. Marie — Anna Jameson1794-1860
Born in Dublin, Ireland, and raised in London, this famous 19th century author, illustrator and social reformer joined her husband, Robert Jameson, Attorney General of Upper Canada, at Toronto in 1836. The following June, unescorted, Mrs. Jameson . . . — Map (db m105960) HM
Ontario (Algoma District), Sault Ste. Marie — Col. John Prince1796-1870
Here, on a portion of his former estate, is buried Col. Prince who emigrated from England in 1833 and settled at Sandwich, Upper Canada. As commanding officer of the Essex Militia, he stirred up a violent controversy by ordering the summary . . . — Map (db m105739) HM
Ontario (Algoma District), Sault Ste. Marie — Ermatinger House
This house, built between 1814 and 1823 by Charles Ermatinger of the North West Company, is the oldest surviving house in northwestern Ontario. Constructed when Sault Ste. Marie was still a small fur trading post on the Upper Lakes, this fine house . . . — Map (db m105955) HM
Ontario (Algoma District), Sault Ste. Marie — Nicolas Perrotca. 1644-1717
Explorer, interpreter, fur trader and diplomat, French-born Perrot played an important role in the establishment and protection of New France's western frontier during the last four decades of the 17th century. In 1671 he was with Saint-Lusson at . . . — Map (db m105957) HM
Ontario (Algoma District), Sault Ste. Marie — Passenger and Packet Freighters on the Upper Great Lakes
Until the mid-20th century, passenger and packet freighters were the most efficient means for transporting goods and people to and from isolated communities of the Upper Great Lakes. Essential to early regional development and instrumental in the . . . — Map (db m105959) HM
Ontario (Algoma District), Sault Ste. Marie — Precious Blood Cathedral
This church was constructed in 1875 and dedicated in 1876 as the Parish Church of The Sacred Heart by Bishop Jean-Francois Jamot. It replaced a wooden building constructed in 1846 which had served as a Jesuit missionary post for this region. Built . . . — Map (db m105953) HM
Ontario (Algoma District), Sault Ste. Marie — Shingwauk Hall
Shingwauk Hall was erected in 1935 to house a residential training school established in 1873 by the Reverend Edward F. Wilson. Under this Anglican missionary's tutelage the institution, named after the well-known Ojibway Chief Augustin Shingwauk . . . — Map (db m105738) HM
Ontario (Essex County), Amherstburg — Bellevue 1816
This house, one of the finest remaining examples of domestic Georgian architecture in Ontario, was commenced in 1816 and completed about 1819, by Robert Reynolds, the commissary to the garrison at Fort Malden. Bellevue was also the home of his . . . — Map (db m103677) HM
Ontario (Lanark County), Almonte — "Auld Kirk" 1836
This stone church, an attractive example of an early form of Gothic Revival architecture, was constructed in 1835–36 on land obtained from John Mitchell, one of Ramsay Township's earliest settlers. Built by the local congregation of the . . . — Map (db m104031) HM
Ontario (Lanark County), Almonte — Dr. James Naismith1861-1939
This is the boyhood home of James Naismith, the inventor of basketball. Born in a house which formerly stood on this lot, he entered McGill University in 1883 where he was active in athletics. In 1890 Naismith graduated in theology from . . . — Map (db m104107) HM
Ontario (Lanark County), Almonte — Former Almonte Post Office
Begun in 1889 and finished in 1891, this building was erected to house postal and customs services. Federal chief architect Thomas Fuller was responsible for the design and Robert Cameron was the contractor. The building was part of a national . . . — Map (db m104019) HM
Ontario (Lanark County), Almonte — Mississippi River Improvement Company1909-1991
The Mississippi River in eastern Ontario is a tributary of the Ottawa River. The upper basin starts in the Mazinaw Lake area and enters the Ottawa River above Chats Falls. Recognizing a need to manage the water flow, Mr. Jim Brown of Carleton Place . . . — Map (db m104108) HM
Ontario (Lanark County), Almonte — Robert Tait McKenzie
Surgeon, educator and sculptor, McKenzie was born in Lanark County, Ontario. After graduating in medicine at McGill University, he became its Medical Director of Physical Training in 1894. A pioneer in physical education, he served as a surgeon . . . — Map (db m104096) HM
Ontario (Lanark County), Almonte — The Founding of Almonte
The sawmill and grist-mill completed here on the Mississippi River in 1823 by Daniel Shipman provided the nucleus around which a community known as Shipman's Mills had developed by 1824. About 1850 two town plots were laid out here - "Victoria" by . . . — Map (db m104000) HM
Ontario (Lanark County), Almonte — The Mill of Kintail and Robert Tait McKenzie
This grist-mill was constructed in 1830 by John Baird, a Scottish pioneer. In 1930 it was restored by Robert Tait McKenzie (1867–1938) the prominent Canadian surgeon, physical educator, and sculptor, as his summer home and studio. Born in . . . — Map (db m104090) HM
Ontario (Lanark County), Almonte — The Rosamonds in Almonte
In 1857 James Rosamond built this mill on the Mississippi River, thereby firmly establishing the woollen industry in Almonte. An Irish-born entrepreneur, Rosamond was previously a resident of nearby Carleton Place where, in 1846, he had built one . . . — Map (db m104009) HM
Ontario (Lanark County), Carleton Place — Captain A. Roy Brown, D.S.C.1893-1944
Victor in aerial combat over Baron Manfred von Richthofen, the First World War's leading fighter pilot and German national hero, Arthur Roy Brown was born at Carleton Place. In 1915 he qualified as a civilian pilot and was commissioned in the Royal . . . — Map (db m103968) HM
Ontario (Lanark County), Carleton Place — Founding of Carleton Place
The families of Edmond Morphy and William Moore became in 1819 the first settlers on the site of Carleton Place. About 1822 Hugh Boulton built a mill here on the Mississippi River which provided the nucleus around which a community, known as . . . — Map (db m103985) HM
Ontario (Nipissing District), Calvin — Louise de Kiriline Lawrence1894-1992
Louise Flach was born in Sweden and grew up on the scenic Baltic coast where she developed an interest in nature. Flach became a Red Cross nurse, serving during the First World War in Denmark, and then with her first husband Greb de Kiriline who . . . — Map (db m105640) HM
Ontario (Nipissing District), Mattawa — Canoe Route to the West
Here, when the canoe was the principal means of travel, explorers, voyageurs, missionaries and others bound for the West, left the Ottawa River and followed the Mattawa River to Lake Nipissing, the French River and the upper Great Lakes. For over . . . — Map (db m105630) HM
Ontario (Nipissing District), Mattawa — French-Canadian Settlement and the CPR in the Mattawa area
Francophone settlement rapidly increased in the Mattawa area with the arrival of the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) in 1881. During construction of the rail line, the local economy benefitted from the presence of thousands of French-Canadian . . . — Map (db m105625) HM
Ontario (Nipissing District), Mattawa — Mattawa House 1837
Trading in furs at this junction of historic canoe routes probably began during the French regime. At intervals during the 1820's and 1830's Chief Trader John Siveright, commanding the Hudson's Bay Company's post at Fort Coulonge, sent men to trade . . . — Map (db m105629) HM
Ontario (Nipissing District), Mattawa — The Mattawa Route
When west-bound voyageurs left the Ottawa here at Mattawa, "the forks," they faced 11 portages in the next 40 miles. The Mattawa, or Petite-Rivière, was a key link in the historic canoe route between Montréal and the upper Great Lakes and . . . — Map (db m105631) HM
Ontario (Prescott & Russell Counties), Hawkesbury — Hawkesbury Mills
In 1805 Thomas Mears and David Patee leased islands in the Ottawa where they built a sawmill and a grist-mill. They constructed a dam across the channel to Hawkesbury West and there purchased 1,000 acres of land. In 1810 half of these properties . . . — Map (db m103943) HM
Ontario (Prescott & Russell Counties), L'Orignal — District Court-House and Gaol 1825
In 1816 the Ottawa district was established and the Courts of Quarter Session, which at that time possessed local administrative as well as judicial authority, were held in the Township of Longueuil. In 1824 Jacob Marston donated a plot of land in . . . — Map (db m103967) HM
Ontario (Prescott & Russell Counties), L'Orignal — The Founding of l'Orignal
The earliest settlers in this area, Joseph La Rocque-Brune and Raymond Duffaut, had located by 1791. Five years later Nathaniel Treadwell, a land surveyor and speculator from Plattsburgh, New York, acquired the seigneury of Pointe-à-l'Orignal, some . . . — Map (db m103958) HM
Ontario (Prescott & Russell Counties), L'Orignal — The Seigneury of L'Orignal
This area, the present township of Longueuil, was granted in 1674 to François Prévost, Town Major of Québec, and was the first seigneury in what is now Ontario. Known originally as the seigneury of "Pointe à L'Orignac", it was not developed until . . . — Map (db m103964) HM
Ontario (Renfrew County), Cobden — Champlain's Astrolabe
Nearby was found in 1867 by Edward George Lee an Astrolabe bearing the date 1603. This instrument, used for determining latitude, is believed to have been lost by Champlain about 7th June, 1613, on his exploratory expedition up the Ottawa River. — Map (db m105537) HM
Ontario (Renfrew County), Cobden — Champlain's Journey of 1613
The Father of New France, Samuel de Champlain, made the first of two voyages into what is now Ontario in 1613. He travelled up the Ottawa River seeking the northern sea (Hudson Bay) which one of his five companions, Nicolas de Vignau, claimed to . . . — Map (db m105539) HM
Ontario (Renfrew County), Deux-Rivières — Rapids of the Upper Ottawa
For over two centuries the Ottawa River was part of the main canoe route to the West. Some of the river's most spectacular and dangerous rapids were located immediately downriver from here: the Rapide de la Veillée, the Trou and the Rapide des Deux . . . — Map (db m105622) HM
Ontario (Renfrew County), Laurentian Hills — Nuclear Power Demonstration Reactor
On June 4, 1962 the Nuclear Power Demonstration (NPD) Reactor 3 km east of Rolphton supplied the Ontario power grid with the first nuclear-generated electricity in Canada. A joint project of Atomic Energy of Canada Limited, Ontario Hydro and . . . — Map (db m105620) HM
Ontario (Renfrew County), Laurentian Hills — Steamboating on the Upper Ottawa
The first steamboat on the Upper Ottawa River was the 25 horse-power "Lady Colborne" built in 1833 for service between Aylmer and Chats Falls. Gradually other sections of the river where opened to steam navigation and in 1854 the "Pontiac" was . . . — Map (db m105618) HM
Ontario (Renfrew County), Pembroke — Jeanne Lajoie1899-1930
Jeanne Lajoie, a dedicated teacher and advocate for the establishment of French schools in Ontario, was born in Lefaivre, near Hawkesbury, in 1899. In 1923, Lajoie helped a group of Francophone parents to establish the first independent French . . . — Map (db m105544) HM
Ontario (Renfrew County), Pembroke — The Founder of Pembroke
Peter White, born in Edinburgh, was a merchant seaman when he was pressed into the Royal Navy in 1813 and sent to Canada. Following service on the Great Lakes under Commodore Sir James Yeo, he left the Navy and entered the lumber trade in the . . . — Map (db m105542) HM
Ontario (Renfrew County), Pembroke — The Pembroke and Mattawan Road
Constructed primarily as a supply route to the lumber camps in the Upper Ottawa Valley, this Colonization Road was begun in 1853 and opened the following year as a winter road from Pembroke to the mouth of the Mattawa River. The relocating of a . . . — Map (db m105547) HM
Ontario (Renfrew County), Petawawa — First Military Test Flights
The first military demonstration of aircraft flight in Canada was given at Petawawa Camp in August 1909, by J.A.D. McCurdy and F.W. Baldwin, with the assistance of the Royal Canadian Engineers. On the morning of 2 August, they made three successful . . . — Map (db m105616) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties), Cornwall — Captain Samuel Anderson1736-1836
This property formed part of the extensive lands granted to Capt. Samuel Anderson, U.E.L., one of the first persons to settle on the site of Cornwall. Born in New England of Irish parents, he served with the British forces during the Seven Years . . . — Map (db m103604) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties), Cornwall — Cornwall Canal
The Cornwall Canal was one of eight canals that connected western Canada with the ocean by way of the Great Lakes and the St. Lawrence River. Constructed in 1834–1842 to overcome the rapids of the Long Sault, it was enlarged several times . . . — Map (db m103668) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties), Cornwall — Cornwall Grammar School
Cornwall Collegiate and Vocational School traces its beginning to an educational institution founded by John Strachan in 1803. Strachan, an Anglican priest, opened a private school in his home where he hoped to educate young men to take on leading . . . — Map (db m103613) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties), Cornwall — Inverarden
This house, built in 1816, is a fine early example of Regency architecture and its interior is a pleasing expression of Georgian symmetry with excellent detailing. In a wooded setting and commanding an impressive view, this was a fitting home for a . . . — Map (db m103603) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties), Cornwall — Lieutenant-Colonel John Macdonell(Aberchalder) — c. 1750-1809
Born in Scotland, Macdonell came to New York in 1773. Commissioned ensign in the Royal Highland Emigrants (84th Regiment) in June 1775 and later transferred to Butler's Rangers, Macdonell served with distinction until 1784 when he settled with his . . . — Map (db m103602) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties), Cornwall — Right Reverend John Strachan1778-1867
Born in Scotland, Strachan came to Kingston in 1799. Ordained in 1803, he became rector of Cornwall and taught at its grammar school until named rector of York in 1812. In 1839 he was made the first Anglican Bishop of Toronto. A central figure in . . . — Map (db m103614) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties), Cornwall — The Founding of Cornwall
In June 1784 disbanded Loyalist soldiers and their families settled at new Johnstown, the site of present-day Cornwall. Initially called Pointe Maligne, the area had been visited by native traders and French missionaries and explorers during the . . . — Map (db m103632) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties), Cornwall — The French Presence in Cornwall
A vital cultural force in Eastern Ontario, the Franco-Ontarian community in Cornwall was established during the late 1870s when large-scale industrial expansion led to an influx of workers and tradesmen from Québec. By 1881 French-speaking . . . — Map (db m103610) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties), Cornwall — The Glengarry Fencibles
The regiment of Glengarry Light Infantry Fencibles was raised in 1811–12 largely from among the Highland settlers of this region, many of whom had served previously in Europe with the Glengarry (British Highland) Fencibles. The Canadian corps . . . — Map (db m103612) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties), Cornwall — The Rev. John Strachan in Cornwall
This pioneer clergyman, legislator and teacher was born in 1778 in Aberdeen, Scotland, and in 1799 came to Kingston as a tutor. In 1803, after entering the Church of England, he was ordained and appointed missionary at Cornwall. Here in . . . — Map (db m103641) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties), Cornwall — War of 1812St. John's Presbyterian Church
Founded in 1787 by the well known Scot, the Reverend John Bethune, St. John's Presbyterian Church and its people played an important role in the preservation of Canadian land and territorial claim during the war of 1812. Their first church building . . . — Map (db m103631) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties), South Glengarry — "Cariboo" Cameron1820-1888
Born in this township, John Angus "Cariboo" Cameron married Margaret Sophia Groves in 1860. Accompanied by his wife and daughter, he went to British Columbia in 1862 to prospect in the Cariboo gold fields. That year at Williams Creek he struck a . . . — Map (db m103594) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Charlottetown — The Gainsford Housec. 1833
This double tenement, built by John and Elizabeth Gainsford, became a landmark in a city largely built of wood. It is Charlottetown’s oldest surviving brick building. For many years the east side was the home of John Iags, editor of “The . . . — Map (db m104833) HM
Dominican Republic, Distrito Nacional, Santo Domingo — The Church and Convent of Regina Angelorum
Iglesia y Convento de Regina Angelorum Su construcción data de la segunda mitad del siglo XVI, finalizada a principios del siglo XVIII. Durante el siglo XVI la poeta Leonor de Ovando fue priora del convento. English translation: The . . . — Map (db m104937) HM
Dominican Republic, Distrito Nacional, Santo Domingo — The Founding of the Listín Diario
120 Aniversario Listin Diario Aquí se fundó Listin Diario El periódico de los dominicanos El 1ro. de agosto de 1889 por Don Arturo J. Pellarano Alfau Apóstol del periodismo nacional English translation: 120th Anniversary . . . — Map (db m104959) HM
Dominican Republic, Distrito Nacional, Santo Domingo — The St. Thomas Aquinas Academy
En este lugar operó durante casi un siglo el Colegio Santo Tomás de Aquino Ejemplo de educación y disciplina fundado por Mons. Merino en 1895. Parmenio Troncoso de la Concha y Manuel B. Troncoso Sánchez (Sr. Manolín) fueron sus impulsores. Miles . . . — Map (db m104933) HM
Dominican Republic, San Juan (Municipality of San Juan la Maguana), San Juan la Maguana — Francisco del Rosario Sanchez
Francisco del Rosario Sanchez 1817 1861 — Map (db m104907) WM
Dominican Republic, San Juan (Municipality of San Juan la Maguana), San Juan la Maguana — Orlando Martínez
Dedicada al periodista mártir de la humanidad en la persona de sanjuanero Orlando Martinez nacido en las Matas de Farfan el 23 de Septiembre del 1944
Ayuntamiento de S.J.M. 2012 Liga Municipal Dominicana English translation: . . . — Map (db m104913) HM
France, 85300 Challans (Pays de la loire), Challans — La quincaillerie BaillyConstruit en 1846
Ce bâtiment construit en 1846 par les époux James, tisserands et aubergistes devient hôtel du couchant En 1904 il est transformé en commerce d'épicerie Une quincaillerie s'y installe dès 1913

Google Translation: This building was built in . . . — Map (db m103329) HM

France, Biard (Poitou-Charentes) — Monument aux morts1914 - 1918
Aux enfants de Biard morts pour la France Guerre 1914-1918 1914 Bonneau Louis · Gatard Moïse · Jean André · Roussely Raoul 1915 Durpaire Joseph · Hulin Paul · Moreau Emile · Noblet Henri · Raveau Léon · Trichard Louis 1916 Giraud Emile · Neveux . . . — Map (db m104781) WM
Germany, Baden-Württemberg (Ostalbkreis), Schwäbisch Gmünd — Glockenturm / Belltower
Die Erbauungszeit des erst 1578/79 urkundlich als „Glockhauß" erwähnten Gebäudes fällt wohl in die Jahre 1227/28. Zwei Deckenbalken im Erdgeschoss datieren schon auf 1143 bzw. 1154. Der 35,5 Meter hohe Turm mit seinem Pyramidendach ist . . . — Map (db m105462) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — Former Synagogue
Hier stand die 1837 erbaute und am 9.11.1938 durch die damaligen Machthaber zerstörte Synagoge der israelitischen Kultusgemeinde Würzburg [English translation:] Here stood the . . . — Map (db m105758) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Kreis Schweinfurt), Gerolzhofen — Altes Rathaus / The Old City Hall
1461 schenkte Michael von Schwarzenberg der Stadt ein Haus am Markt, das 1475 zu einem Rathaus umgebaut wurde. 1585 erfolgte der südliche Anbau (Küchenbau). 1732 wurde das Gebäude barockisiert. Die Stadtverwaltung zog 1979 aus, heute . . . — Map (db m105881) HM
Guatemala, Chimaltenango (Municipality of Chimaltenango) — Chimaltenango Memorial to the Victims of Guatemala's Armed Conflict
En memoria de los miles y miles de mártires que lucharon por la paz con justicia social del pueblo maya kaqchikel y no maya que fueron: secuestrados, desaparecidos, torturados, masacrados y asesinados por las fuerzas represivas de los últimos 36 . . . — Map (db m103566) HM WM
Guatemala, Chimaltenango (Municipality of Chimaltenango) — General Justo Rufino Barrios
1885 al 1986 General Justo Rufino Barrios Reformador de Guatemala en el 101 aniversario de su muerte Guatemala, 2 de abril de 1986 Zona Militar No. 3, “La Alameda, Chimaltenango” Municipalidad de Chimaltenango, 1986 SMG English . . . — Map (db m103557) HM
Guatemala, Chimaltenango (Municipality of Chimaltenango) — José Simeon Cañas
Parque Jose Simeon Cañas Chimaltenango a su egregio diputado padre de la abolición de la esclavitud en Centro America, en dic. de 1823 1957 English translation: José Simeón Cañas Park Chimaltenango to its outstanding Congressman, Father of . . . — Map (db m103568) HM
Guatemala, Chimaltenango (Municipality of San Andrés Itzapa), San Andrés Itzapa — Canadian Assistance after the 1976 Earthquake
El Canada • San Andres Itzapa El Canton San Antonio perpetua su agradecimiento a la hermana republica de El Canada por su inmensa labor humanitaria, al haber descombrado, limpiado y reconstruido nuestro pueblo, con motivo del terremoto que lo . . . — Map (db m103965) HM
Guatemala, Chimaltenango (Municipality of Tecpán Guatemala), Tecpán Guatemala — The Founding of Tecpán Guatemala
La Asamblea Legislativa de la Republica Mandó colocar esta placa en el Salón de Honor del Ayuntamiento de Tecpan Guatemala, en conmemoración del día 25 de Julio de 1924 en que esta Villa fue elevada a la categoría de Ciudad y del IV Centenario del . . . — Map (db m105324) HM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Guatemala), Guatemala City — 100th Anniversary of the Paulist Fathers in Guatemala
1862 Mayo 12 1962 Homenaje del pueblo de Guatemala a los Padres Paulinos y Hermanas de la Caridad en el 1er centenario de su llegada. El Comité Central English translation: 1862 - Mayo 12 - 1962 Tribute from the people of . . . — Map (db m105214) HM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Guatemala), Guatemala City — Federico Hernández de León
Aquí vivio y murió el connotado periodista Federico Hernandez de Leon Homenaje de los Senadores de la Camara Junior de Guatemala 1972 English translation: Here lived and died the noted journalist Federico Hernández de León Tribute . . . — Map (db m105213) HM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Guatemala), Guatemala City — José Luis de León Díaz (Luis de Lión)
“Yo no sabia que el mundo era redondo y mas bien creía que si me subia al cerro en frente podría tocar el cielo y mancharme los dedos de azul” (Luis de Lion, fragmento del poema Para mi cielo) En este lugar fue desaparecido . . . — Map (db m105275) HM WM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Guatemala), Guatemala City — Memorial to Héctor Interiano, Carlos Cuevas and Gustavo Castañón
Gobierno de la República de Guatemala Comisión Presidencial Coordinadora de la Política del Ejecutivo en materia de Derechos Humanos – COPREDEH - Los parques, las aulas universitarias, las calles guatemaltecas son testigos de las . . . — Map (db m105195) HM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Guatemala), Guatemala City — Memorial to the Victims of Guatemala's Armed ConflictMemorial a las Víctimas del Conflicto Armado de Guatemala
Es nuestro deseo erigir este símbolo para dignificar los centenares de mujeres, niños, y hombres que sufrieron los estragos y el horror de la violencia política durante treinta y seis años desde 1960 a 1996. Los nombres aquí grabados representan . . . — Map (db m105317) WM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Guatemala), Guatemala City — The Aycinena Arcade
Pasaje Aycinena Tipo: Arquitectura Civil Construcción: 1891-1894 Estilo: Neoclásico Se encuentra en el espacio que ocupaba la huerta del “Marquesado de Aycinena". Fue construido por Luis Monzón, en 1892. El maestro Monzón diseñó . . . — Map (db m105312) HM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Guatemala), Guatemala City — Tragedy of the “Safe Home Virgen de la Asunción”
Justicia para las niñas de Guatemala En memoria de las 41 niñas asesinadas en el Hogar Seguro Virgen de la Asunción renombramos a este espacio como Plaza de las Niñas de Guatemala 8 de Marzo No las olvidamos Fue el Estado. English . . . — Map (db m105283) HM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Guatemala), Guatemala City — University of San Carlos Faculty of Medical Sciences 1918-1921
Universidad de San Carlos de Guatemala Facultad de Ciencias Medicas En este lugar estuvo situada la Facultad de Medicina y Cirugia durante los años de 1918-1921 Dr. Jafeth Ernesto Cabrera Franco Rector Magnifico Dr. Edgar Axel Oliva Gonzalez . . . — Map (db m105267) HM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Mixco), Mixco — Revolution of October 20, 1944 Memorial Highway
Calzada Revolucion 20 de Octuber 1944 ”Homenaje” A los oficiales y soldados que lucharon con el pueblo en la mañana gloriosa del 20 de Oct. de 1944 para devolver la libertad en Guatemala. Guatemala, 20 Oct 1974 Bloque Diputados . . . — Map (db m105270) WM
Guatemala, Sacatepéquez (Municipality of Antigua Guatemala), Aldea San Juan del Obispo — José Luis de León Diaz
Por qué se empeña la muerte en matar vanamente a la vida si la más humilde semilla rompe la piedra más fuerte Luis de León. José Luis de León Diaz, Nombre literario: Luis de León, Escritor, Novelista Cuentista. Nacido en San Juan del Obispo el 19 . . . — Map (db m103528) HM
Guatemala, Sacatepéquez (Municipality of Antigua Guatemala), Antigua Guatemala — House of Bartolomé Azmitia Frener
. . . — Map (db m105139) HM
Guatemala, Sacatepéquez (Municipality of Antigua Guatemala), Antigua Guatemala — Isabella I of Castile
Homenaje de la Municipalidad de la Embajada de España del Consejo Nacional para la Proteccion de la Antigua Guatemala a Isabel la Catolica V Centenario del Descubrimiento de America Encuentra de Dos Mundos 12 de Octubre de 1986 (1992) . . . — Map (db m105113) HM
Guatemala, Sacatepéquez (Municipality of Antigua Guatemala), Antigua Guatemala — Las Delicias Fountain
El Comité del Barrio de la Concepcion En el quinto aniversario de su fundacion declara patrimonio histórico del barrio "Fuente de las Delicias" construida el año 1620 Santiago de Guatemala La Antigua Guatemala 7 de diciembre de 1995 English . . . — Map (db m103524) HM
Guatemala, Sacatepéquez (Municipality of Antigua Guatemala), Antigua Guatemala — The 100th Anniversary of the Olimpia Leal Normal Institute for Ladies
Cien Años De irradiar cultura en los cuatro puntos cardinales el glorioso Instituto Normal para Señoritas Olimpia Leal INSOL 16 de junio de 1915 - 16 de junio de 2015 Promocion 84 English translation: The glorious Olimpia Leal Normal . . . — Map (db m105141) HM
Guatemala, Sacatepéquez (Municipality of Ciudad Vieja), Aldea San Miguel Escobar — The Esquisuchil Medicinal Tree (Bourreria huanita)
Arbol medicinal de Esquisuchil (Bourrería Huanita). Sembrado por el primer Obispo de Guatemala Francisco Marroquín 1,478-1,563 Fue de este árbol histórico, de donde el Beato Hermano Pedro de Bethancourt tomó un vástago para sembrar el árbol en . . . — Map (db m105137) HM
Guatemala, Sacatepéquez (Municipality of Sumpango), Sumpango — Tree of Saint Peter
Árbol de Santo Hermano Pedro Nombre: Esquisuchil Nombre científico: Bourreira Huanita Familia: Boraginaceae Altura promedio: 9 Metros Sembrado el 21 de Agosto de 2016 Es un Brote Natural del árbol plantado por el Santo Hermano Pedro de San . . . — Map (db m103571) HM
Iceland, Capital Region Höfuðborgarsvæði, Reykjavik — AdlonReykjavik Bókmenntaborg UNESCO City of Literature
Hér, á milli Aðalstrætis 6 og 8, stóð barinn Adlon um miðja 20. öldina, eða Langibar eins og hann var kallaður í daglegu tali. Staðurinn var vinsæll meðal ungs fólks og gekk af þeim sökum einnig undir nafninu „Ungverjaland" en enn eitt . . . — Map (db m105442) HM
Iceland, Capital Region Höfuðborgarsvæði, Reykjavik — Bankastraeti 10
The first building at Bankastraeti 10 was a mill built for the merchant P.C. Knudtzon, named "Hollenska Myllan"(The Dutch Mill). The Dutch Mill was not efficient enough and was therefore torn down 1902. A new house was built at the same location . . . — Map (db m105325) HM
Iceland, Capital Region Höfuðborgarsvæði, Reykjavik — Einar BenediktssonReykjavik Bókmenntaborg UNESCO City of Literature
Einar Benediktsson (1864-1940) skald og athafnamaður bjó í Höfða á árunum 1914 til 1917. Hann var heimsborgari og hugsjónamaður, ferðaðist víða um lönd og lagði fram margar nýstárlegar og stórbrotnar hugmyndir að þjóðfélagsumbótum, sem . . . — Map (db m105364) HM
Iceland, Capital Region Höfuðborgarsvæði, Reykjavik — Einar Benediktsson
Skáldið Einar Benediktsson lét reisa þetta hús anno 1896 [English translation:] The poet Einar Benediktsson built this house in 1896. — Map (db m105383) HM
Iceland, Capital Region Höfuðborgarsvæði, Reykjavik — HressingarskálinnReykjavik Bókmenntaborg UNESCO City of Literature
Hér í Austurstræti 20, í einni elstu byggingu borgarinnar, hefur kaffihúsið og veitingastaðurinn Hressingarskálinn verið rekinn með hléum frá árinu 1932. Húsið sjálft á sér langa sögu, sem nær aftur til ársins 1805 þegar það var flutt . . . — Map (db m105439) HM
Iceland, Capital Region Höfuðborgarsvæði, Reykjavik — Laufey Jakobsdóttir
Laufey Jakobsdóttir eða amman í Grjótaþorpinu Í húsinu sem stendur við Grjótagötu 12 bjó Laufey Jakobsdóttir, eða „amman í Grjótaþorpinu" á árunum 1976 til 1995. Laufey fæddist á Bóndastöðum í Borgarfirði eystri þann 25. . . . — Map (db m105483) HM
Iceland, Capital Region Höfuðborgarsvæði, Reykjavik — Louisa Matthíasdóttir
Louisa Matthíasdóttir (1917-2000) er einn af fremstu listamönnum Íslendinga á sviði málaralistar. Hún ólst upp í Höfða frá átta ára aldri en fjölskylda hennar bjó í húsinu frá 1924 til 1937. Louisa byrjaði snemma að teikna og mála og . . . — Map (db m105531) HM
Iceland, Capital Region Höfuðborgarsvæði, Reykjavik — Málfríður EinarsdóttirReykjavik Bókmenntaborg UNESCO City of Literature
Málfríður Einarsdóttir rithöfundur (1899-1983) bjó lengi hér á efstu hæð pósthússins þar sem maður hennar Guðjón Eiriksson var húsvörður. Fyrsta bók Málfríðar, Samastaður í tilverunni, kom út þegar hún var áttræðisaldri. Hún var þó . . . — Map (db m105422) HM
Iceland, Capital Region Höfuðborgarsvæði, Reykjavik — Sjúkrahús Hvítabandsins / White Ribbon Hospital
Hvitabandið er Ilknarfélag kvenna sem var stófnað 17. apríl 1895. Félagið lét byggja húsið að Skólavörðustig 37 og var það vígt þann 18. febrúar 1934. Húsið er teiknað af Arinbirni þorkelssyni húsasmiðameistara. Upphaflega átti það að verða hvíldar- . . . — Map (db m105322) HM
Iceland, Capital Region Höfuðborgarsvæði, Reykjavik — Skólavörðustígur 13
Borgastjórinn í Reykajavík veitti þessu húsi viðurkenningu árið 2012 vegna vel gerðra endurbóta. Húsið var byggt árið 1926 eftir teikningum Guðmundar H. Þorlákssonar byggingmeistara. Það er góður fulltrúi fyrstu kynslóðar . . . — Map (db m105736) HM
Iceland, Capital Region Höfuðborgarsvæði, Reykjavik — Theodóra ThoroddsenReykjavik Bókmenntaborg UNESCO City of Literature
Í þessu húsi, sem áður stóð við Vonarstræti 12, bjó Theodóra Thoroddsen skáld (1863-1954) ásamt fjölskyldu sinni. Hún er þekktust fyrir þulur sínar og má segja að með þeim hafi hún brotið sér leið út úr föstu kveðskaparformi fyrri alda . . . — Map (db m105379) HM
Iceland, Capital Region Höfuðborgarsvæði, Reykjavik — Torfhildur HólmReykjavik Bókmenntaborg UNESCO City of Literature
Torfhildur Hólm (1845-1918) var brautryðjandi á ýmsum sviðum íslenskra bókmennta. Hún var fyrsti atvinnnurithöndur landsins og fyrst íslenskra kvenna til að hljóta skáldastyrk úr landssjóði, árið 1891. Þvi var reyndar mótmælt og var . . . — Map (db m105326) HM
Iceland, Capital Region Höfuðborgarsvæði, Reykjavik — Vaktarabærinn
Vaktarabærinn was built for storage in 1845 and later used as a home. Sigvaldi Kaldalóns, Iceland's beloved poet, was born in the house in 1881. After being in disrepair for two decades it was brought back to life by Minjavernd. It is . . . — Map (db m105359) HM
Jamaica, Middlesex County (Saint Ann Parish), Discovery Bay — Jamaica in 1494
A botanical investigation of 1956 revealed that the enclosed area, undisturbed for centuries because of its inaccessibility and its rocky soil, had preserved the indigenous plant life as it must have appeared in 1494 in which year Christopher . . . — Map (db m105155) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Stela E of Quiriguá
Estela E de Quiriguá (Reproducción) Quiriguá se localiza sobre el valle del río Motagua, que nace cerca de la ciudad de Guatemala y desemboca en el Golfo de Honduras. Su trayecto favoreció el comercio de obsidiana y jadeíta . . . — Map (db m103520) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — The Altar of the Nation
Altar a la PatriaFue inaugurada el 27 de septiembre de 1952. Obra del Arq. Enrique Aragon Echegaray y el escultor Ernesto Tamariz. Alberga los restos de los Niños Héroes y del Coronel Felipe Santiago Xicoténcatl. “A los defensores de . . . — Map (db m105907) WM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — The Bridge of the Lions
Puente de Los LeonesSe construyó en el año 1975, para dar paso a el Circuito Interior que corre por debajo. Está flanqueado en los costados por jardineras con cipreses, y remata en los 4 extremos por esculturas de leonas esculpidas en . . . — Map (db m105884) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — The Main Chapels of the Cathedral of Mexico City
Las Portadas Principales de la Catedral (suroeste y sureste). Flanqueado la portada principal y separada de ella por grandes contrafuertes, rematadas por ménsulas invertidas, se encuentran las otras dos portadas principales. En ambas, el . . . — Map (db m105330) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Teotihuacán), Teotihuacán de Arista — A Ceremonial Incense Burner
Brasero ceremonial Esta escultura hecha en roca volcánica fue descubierta en 1906 por Don Leopoldo Batres en la parte superior de la plataforma adosada a la Pirámide del Sol. Su descubridor consideró que probablemente era un brasero ceremonial . . . — Map (db m105804) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Teotihuacán), Teotihuacán de Arista — Late Occupation of Teotihuacan and the Mexica Presence
Ocupaciones Tardías en Teotihuacan y la Presencia MexicoHace aproximadamente 1300 años, la ciudad de Teotihuacan dejó de funcionar como el gran centro político, económico y religioso del centro de México, lo que ocasionó que muchos de sus . . . — Map (db m105577) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Teotihuacán), Teotihuacán de Arista — MiccoatliThe Avenue of the Dead
MiccaotliAl igual que otras ciudades mesoamericanas, el diseño de Teotihuacan buscó reflejar la manera en que los antiguos habitantes creían estaba organizado el cosmos, por eso ubicaron sus construcciones a lo largo de ejes como el de la . . . — Map (db m105880) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Teotihuacán), Teotihuacán de Arista — Pyramid of the Sun
Pirámide del SolEntre los años 100 al 650 d.C. éste fue el edificio prehispánico de mayores dimensiones y es uno de los más importantes de Mesoamérica. Su nombre se debe a que las crónicas escritas por los españoles en el siglo XVI mencionan . . . — Map (db m105852) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Teotihuacán), Teotihuacán de Arista — The History of Teotihuacán
La Historia de Teotihuacán Alrededor del año 400 a.C., el Valle de Teotihuacán estuvo ocupado por varias comunidades rurales, con una población de aproximadamente 5000 habitantes, en una extensión de 4-6 Km2. Hacia 200 a.C., parte de la . . . — Map (db m105757) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Teotihuacán), Teotihuacán de Arista — The Importance of the Pyramid of the Sun
Importancia de la Pirámide del SolVarios elementos indican que, en las primeras fases de Teotihuacan, la Pirámide del Sol se constituyó en el centro de la ciudad, es decir, en el punto de partida de los ejes que dividen los espacios divinos. . . . — Map (db m105608) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Teotihuacán), Teotihuacán de Arista — The Meaning of the Pyramid of the Sun
Significado del Pirámide del Sol Con base en los recientes trabajos arqueológicos que se han realizado en torno a la Pirámide del Sol, se ha desarrollado una nueva interpretación sobre su significado religioso. A partir de las crónicas . . . — Map (db m105850) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Teotihuacán), Teotihuacán de Arista — The Puma Mural
Mural del Puma Este mural fue descubierto durante las exploraciones arqueológicas de 1963. Forma parte de un conjunto de plataformas y templos que integran una unidad arquitectónica conocida como Grupo del Mural del Puma. En la escena que . . . — Map (db m105734) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Teotihuacán), Teotihuacán de Arista — The Pyramid of the Sun
Pirámide del Sol La Pirámide del Sol es el edificio prehispánico de mayores dimensiones de su época (100-650 d.C.) y es uno de los más importantes de Mesoamérica. Su nombre se debe a que, desde el siglo XVI, las crónicas mencionan que este gran . . . — Map (db m105530) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Teotihuacán), Teotihuacán de Arista — The Quetzalpapálotl Architectural Complex
Complejo Arquitectónico Quetzalpapálotl Trabajos de conservación A principios de la década de los años sesenta del siglo pasado el Arqueólogo Jorge Acosta trabajó la zona de la Plaza de la Pirámide de la Luna en el marco del Proyecto . . . — Map (db m105675) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Teotihuacán), Teotihuacán de Arista — The Temple of Agriculture
Templo de la Agricultura Este edificio fue excavado por primer vez por el Arqueólogo Leopoldo Batre en 1886 y hacia 1922 Manuel Gamio realizó trabajos de restauración. En las exploracinoes de Leopoldo Batres se encontraron dos fragmentos de . . . — Map (db m105574) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Allende), San Miguel de Allende — A Ceremonial Centre in the Laja River Basin
Cañada de la Virgen: un centro cívico ceremonial en la cuenca de río Laja En la epoca prehispánica Cañada de la Virgen fue un centro cívico ceremonial que alcanzó su mayor desarrollo durante los años 540 a 1050 d.C., sin que a la fecha haya . . . — Map (db m103640) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Allende), San Miguel de Allende — Allende's Independence Meetings
En el entresuelo de esta casa, con pretexto de bailes que se daban en la sala, D. Ignacio Allende y las personas comprometidas se reunian para tratar de los medios adecuados para lograr la Independencia Nacional. ----- El H. Ayuntamiento . . . — Map (db m105471) HM WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Allende), San Miguel de Allende — Armory of the Insurgents
Esta fué la Maestranza de los Insurgentes. 1810. Socd Amigos de Sn Miguel English translation: This was the armory and arsenal of the supporters of Mexican Independence. 1810. Society of the Friends of San . . . — Map (db m105469) WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Allende), San Miguel de Allende — Burial 13 The hierarch and ancestral veneration
Entierro 13 El Jerarca y la veneración de los ancestros Durante las excavaciones para liberar el mural se encontró un hallazgo de gran relevancia y sumamente significativo para la interpretación del recinto. El Templo Rojo con sus . . . — Map (db m104150) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Allende), San Miguel de Allende — Burial 18 The Decapitated Man
Entierro 18 El Decapitado El Entierro 18 o El decapitado, llamado así dębido a que su fue cortada después de su muerte, se encontró asociado al patio cerrado situado en la plataforma elevada, a un costado del basamento piramidal . . . — Map (db m104146) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Allende), San Miguel de Allende — Captain Juan Aldama y González
H. Ayuntamiento del Bicentenario 2009-2012 Capitan Juan Aldama y González 03 enero 1774 26 junio 1811 San Miguel de Allende, Gto. A 03 de enero del 2011. English translation: Honorable Municipal Council of the Bicentennial 2009-2012 . . . — Map (db m105444) HM WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Allende), San Miguel de Allende — Complex A The House of the Thirteen Heavens
Complejo A La Casa de los 13 cielos Es la principal estructura del centro cívico ceremonial ya que fue el punto de observación de fenómenos celestes. Está integrado por un patio hundido, un basamento piramidal y tres plataformas con . . . — Map (db m104166) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Allende), San Miguel de Allende — Complex D The House of the Wind
Complejo D La casa del viento Es una estructura de planta circular de 22 metros de diámetro y 2.5 de altura, con evidencias de escalinatas por el lado este y noroeste. En su cúspide se exploró una estructura cuadrangular de piedra . . . — Map (db m104137) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Allende), San Miguel de Allende — Félix Luna Romero
“El Tesoro de un pueblo son sus tradiciones y costumbres” Don Félix Luna Romero (1941-2008) Homenaje a quien entre sus manos investigó, dio vida y valor a nuestra rica herencia sanmiguelense English translation: . . . — Map (db m105508) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Allende), San Miguel de Allende — General Mariano Escobedo
. . . — Map (db m105472) HM WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Allende), San Miguel de Allende — House of Juan Umarán
. . . — Map (db m105428) HM WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Allende), San Miguel de Allende — House of Pedro Vargas
Don Pedro Vargas Nacio en esta casa el 29 de abril de 1906 San Miguel de Allende Gto. 29 de abril de 1990 English translation: Pedro Vargas Was born in this house on April 29, 1906 San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato . . . — Map (db m105468) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Allende), San Miguel de Allende — Las Colonias Reservoir
Presa las ColoniasConstruida por la fábrica textil “La Aurora” al inicio del siglo XX. A través del largo tubo de hierro, esta empresa utilizó la fuerza del agua para generar electricidad – experiencia pionera en México. Con . . . — Map (db m105611) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Allende), San Miguel de Allende — Layout and Architecture
Traza y arquitectura La disposición de los edificios y la arquitectura de Cañada de la Virgen denotan espacios con usos jerarquizados, por lo que se cree que en este lugar vivía sólo la clase sacerdotal. En las inmediaciones se ubican las . . . — Map (db m104142) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Allende), San Miguel de Allende — Luis Neri de Alfaro y Velázquez
In Memoriam del siervo de Dios Br. D. Luis Neri de Alfaro y Velazquez Pbro. de esta venerable congregación del Oratorio de San Miguel de Allende, Gto. y fundador del Santuario y la Casa de Ejercicios de Atotonilco, Gto. Luis fue . . . — Map (db m105466) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Allende), San Miguel de Allende — María del Refugio Aguilar y Torres
En esta casa nació Maria del Refugio Aguilar y Torres Fundadora de la Congregación de Hermanas Mercedarias del Santísimo Sacramento Centenario de Fundación 25 de Marzo 1910 2010 English translation: In this house was born María del . . . — Map (db m105478) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Allende), San Miguel de Allende — Narciso María Loreto de la Canal
Casa del Cnel. Narciso-Ma Loreto-de-la-Canal Simpatizador de la Independencia de México. Socd Amigos de Sn Miguel English translation: House of Colonel Narciso María Loreto de la Canal Sympathizer with Mexico’s . . . — Map (db m105509) WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Allende), San Miguel de Allende — Observing the Stars
Observando los astros En distintas partes de Mesoamérica y del mundo, las sociedades antiguas usaron un sistema para medir el tiempo utilizando como referencia el movimiento del Sol, ya que durante un año hace un recorrido entre dos extremos. . . . — Map (db m104157) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Allende), San Miguel de Allende — The Ceremonial Avenue
Calzada ceremonial El acceso principal al centro cívico ceremonial en época prehispánica se realizaba a traves de una gran calzada de casi un kilómetro de longitud y entre 13 y 17 metros de ancho. Ésta se diseño con un trazo de oriente a . . . — Map (db m103572) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Allende), San Miguel de Allende — The Francisco I. Madero Fountain
Fuente Francisco I. Madero Construida de Nbre á Dbre de 1915 por disposicion del C. Presidente Municipal de acuerdo con la Junta de Admon. Civil; siendo Gob. y Com. Militar del Edo. El C. Coronel D. Jose Siurob Se inaguro el 1 de Enero de . . . — Map (db m105496) WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Allende), San Miguel de Allende — The Heroes' Bridge
Puente de los Heroes. Homenaje de la ciudad de San Miguel de Allende a sus hijos que lucharon por la libertad de Mexico. ----- Siendo Gobernador del Estado el C. Dr. J. Jesus Rodriguez Gaona y Presidente Municipal el C. Lic. Leobino Zavala . . . — Map (db m105443) WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Allende), San Miguel de Allende — The House of Luis Malo
. . . — Map (db m103730) HM WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Allende), San Miguel de Allende — The Pool of El Chan
El Charco del ChanEs la poza que da nombre al proyecto de conservación. Encajada abajo en la cañada, El Charco del Ingenio ha sido durante siglos fuente de leyendas populares. Su espíritu guardian es El Chan, ser mítico del . . . — Map (db m105642) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Allende), San Miguel de Allende — The Water Mill
El BatánVestigios de lo que fue probablemente la primera obra hidráulica (ingenio) de San Miguel, a fines del siglo XVI. El agua caía del acueducto y hacía girar una rueda vertical de madera, cuyo eje se apoyaba en una estructura de piedra, . . . — Map (db m105639) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Allende), San Miguel de Allende — Tribute to the Battle of PueblaMay 5, 1862
En remembranza de la gloriosa accion de armas, llevada a cabo en Puebla el 5 de Mayo de 1862 por el General Ignacio Zaragoza.Se dedica a su nombre este jardin Allende. 5 de mayo de 1925. English translation: In remembrance of the . . . — Map (db m105447) WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — Admiral Federico Rómero Ceballos
1909-1991 En esta casa nació el ilustre Almirante de la Armada de México, Federico Rómero Ceballos Prominente Navegante Guanajuato, Gto. 7 de Diciembre de 1991 English translation: 1909-1991 In this house was born the illustrious . . . — Map (db m104511) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — Agustín Lanuza
A 50 años del fallecimiento del Poeta e Historiador Lic. Agustín Lanuza se dedica esta placa en la casa donde vivió Ateneo “Jaime Torres Bodet” 1936-1986 English translation: Fifty years after the death of the poet and . . . — Map (db m104811) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — Celedonio Doméco de Jarauta
Al Presbitero D. Celedonio Domeco de Jarauta fusilado en este Mral el 18 de Julio de 1848. Combatió En defensa de la patria Contra la invasión Norte Americana Se construyó a iniciativa de Francisco H. Montoya y la cooperación de varios . . . — Map (db m104809) WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — House of Manuel Doblado
En esta casa vivió Manuel Doblado Gobernante y Diplomático -- También se alojó aquí en septiembre de 1864 Maximiliano de Habsburgo H. Ayuntamiento Constitucional 1938-1939 English translation: In this house lived Manuel Doblado . . . — Map (db m104029) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — House of Royal Assayer Sebastián Camacho
En esta casa estuvo el Real Ensaye de Oro y Plata desde la primera mitad del siglo XVII hasta el año de 1824 Fue oficina y habitacion del Ensayador Real, D. Sebastian Camacho de cuyo apellido tomo su nombre el inmediato Puente de Camacho. El lugar . . . — Map (db m104034) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — Luis González Obregón
El insigne historiador D. Luis Gonzalez Obregón (1865-1938) nació en esta casa. H. Ayuntamiento Constitucional 1938-1939. English translation: The illustrious historian Luis González Obregón (1865-1938) was born in this house. . . . — Map (db m104810) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — Miguel Hidalgo and the Owl's HillMiguel Hidalgo y la Cuesta del Tecolote
Por esta cuesta del Tecolote, bajó el 28 de Septiembre de 1810 el Padre de la Patria Don Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla y su Ejército Insurgente, a tomar esta ciudad. 175 Aniversario de la Independencia y 75 de la Revolución Mexicana. English . . . — Map (db m104791) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — Minting House of the State of Guanajuato
En este edificio estuvo desde el 13 de Noviembre de 1827, hasta el primero de Julio de 1900, la Casa de Moneda del Estado de Guanajuato. Ayuntamiento de Guanajuato 1989-91 English translation: In this building was the Minting House of the . . . — Map (db m104483) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — Tepetapa Bridge
Puente de tepetapa Dió principio su construcción el 18 de enero de 1830 y se terminó el 16 de dic. de 1835, habiendo costado 48,566 pesos, 6 reales, 3 octavos. Ayuntamiento 1989-91 English translation: Tepetapa Bridge Its . . . — Map (db m103877) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — The Basilica of Our Lady of Guanajuato
La construcción de este templo se inició en 1671 y se terminó en 1696; desde esta última fecha hasta 1957 fue Parroquia y a partir de entonces, Basilica de Nuestra Señora de Guanajuato. English translation: The construction of this temple . . . — Map (db m103992) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — 5 of 19 — The Legislative PalacePalacio Legislativo — —Un Museo Llamado Guanajuato / A Museum Called Guanajuato —
Durante la primera mitad del siglo XX, este palacio de cantera verde ricamente ornamentado fue la sede de los Poderes Ejecutivo, Legislativo y Judicial de Guanajuato. En 1903 se inauguró la obra por Don Porfirio Díaz, junto con otros edificios y . . . — Map (db m103990) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — The Royal Bank of Guanajuato
. . . — Map (db m103998) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — 17 of 19 — The Temple of San FranciscoEl Templo de San Francisco — Un Museo llamado Guanajuato
Templo de San Francisco La calle de Sopeña remata visualmente con el magnífico templo de San Francisco, localizado en una plaza del mismo nombre. En el auge minero del siglo XVIII comenzaron muchas de las obras civiles y religiosas que . . . — Map (db m104042) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — The Temple of San Juan Bautista
Templo de San Juan Bautista, ahora de San Francisco. Desde su construcción a mediados del siglo XVIII, hasta el 9 de sep. de 1828, este templo perteneció al clero secular y se llamó de San Juan Bautista, y en esa fecha pasó a la orden . . . — Map (db m104035) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — Vallejo Metals Processing Plant
En la mitad del siglo XVIII aquí fué la fundición de metales de luna y en 1866 era hacienda de beneficio y se llamaba de Vallejo. English translation: During the middle of the 18th century there was a silver smelting operation here. In 1866 . . . — Map (db m104482) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Tierra Blanca), Tierra Blanca — Miguel Hidalgo
1753 1953 Loor eterno al Padre de la Patria Hidalgo English translation: 1753 - 1953 Eternal tribute to the Father of the Nation Hidalgo
Map (db m103522) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Victoria), Victoria — Father Juan González Zarate
A la santa memoria del Sr. Cura Pbro. Don Juan Gonzalez Zarate, Fundador de la Congregacion de Hermanos de Santa Maria de Guadalupe y San Isidro Labrador. e insigne benefactor de esta parroquia de San Juan Bautista en donde tuvo especial . . . — Map (db m103525) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Victoria), Victoria — Miguel Hidalgo
Por acuerdo del H. Ayuntamiento 1967-1969 se erigio este monumento al Padre de la Patria Don Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla siendo Presidente Municipal el C. Simon Amador Mata Villa Victoria, Gto., diciembre de 1969 English translation: . . . — Map (db m103527) HM
Mexico, Puebla (Municipality of San Pedro Cholula), San Pedro Cholula — Dr. Moisés Toxqui Avila
En memoria del Dr. Moisés Toxqui Avila 1910-2005 Fundador y Director de la primera "Clinica Toxqui" Fundada en esta casa en el año de 1940 San Pedro Cholula, Puebla, Octubre de 2005. English translation: In memory of Dr. Moisés Toxqui . . . — Map (db m104182) HM
Mexico, Puebla (Municipality of San Pedro Cholula), San Pedro Cholula — Emiliano Zapata
Emiliano Zapata "Quiero morir siendo esclavo de los principios, no de los hombres" José Juan Espinosa Torres Presidente Municipal Esperanza Estela Chilaca Muñoz Síndico Municipal Ignacio A. Molina Huerta Secretario de Ayuntamiento . . . — Map (db m104171) HM

2383 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 2183
Paid Advertisement