Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

432 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 232
 
Admiral Federico Rómero Ceballos Marker image, Touch for more information
By J. Makali Bruton, April 3, 2017
Admiral Federico Rómero Ceballos Marker
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — Admiral Federico Rómero Ceballos
1909-1991 En esta casa nació el ilustre Almirante de la Armada de México, Federico Rómero Ceballos Prominente Navegante Guanajuato, Gto. 7 de Diciembre de 1991 English translation: 1909-1991 In this house was born the illustrious . . . — Map (db m104511) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — Minting House of the State of Guanajuato
En este edificio estuvo desde el 13 de Noviembre de 1827, hasta el primero de Julio de 1900, la Casa de Moneda del Estado de Guanajuato. Ayuntamiento de Guanajuato 1989-91 English translation: In this building was the Minting House of the . . . — Map (db m104483) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — Vallejo Metals Processing Plant
En la mitad del siglo XVIII aquí fué la fundición de metales de luna y en 1866 era hacienda de beneficio y se llamaba de Vallejo. English translation: During the middle of the 18th century there was a silver smelting operation here. In 1866 . . . — Map (db m104482) HM
Mexico, Veracruz (Municipality of Actopan), Laguna Verde — Quiahuiztlán
Quiahuiztlan "El lugar de la lluvia"/"The Place of the Rain" Gracias al estudio de los vestigios arqueológicos que aquí podrás observar, sabemos que en esta ciudad vivieron personas de filiación totonaca. Como estrategia de defensa, . . . — Map (db m104317) HM
Mexico, Veracruz (Municipality of Santa Elena) — Monument to the Heroes of 1914Monumento a los Héroes de 1914
1825 · 1838 · 1847 · 1914 La patria agradecida a los héroes que defendieron su libertad y soberanía. Centenario de la Gesta Heroica Hca. Veracruz Ver. Abril 21 de 2014 Cadete Virgilio Uribe. Murio por la patria. 21 de abril de 1914. ¡A las . . . — Map (db m104334) WM
Mexico, Veracruz (Municipality of Úrsulo Galván), Villa Zempoala — Cempoala
Su nombre derivado del nahuátl, significa "Lugar de las veinte aguas", probablemente debido a que en dicha ciudad existía una gran cantidad de canales de riego y ductos subterráneos. Cempoala fue uno de los asentamientos totonacas más importantes . . . — Map (db m104379) HM
Mexico, Veracruz (Municipality of Veracruz) — Alexander von Humboldt
La comunidad alemana en el estado de Veracruz en el marco del Bicentenario de la Independencia de la República Mexicana al Barón Alexander von Humboldt 1787-1859 Físico e Investigador Benémerito de la Patria por decreto del Presidente Lic. . . . — Map (db m104321) HM
Mexico, Veracruz (Municipality of Veracruz) — Chapel of Holy Christ of the Good Voyage
Santo Cristo del Buen Viaje La capilla del Santo Cristo del Buen Viaje es una construcción de la época del Virreinato, se piensa que es obra de los primeros religiosos llegados a America y que inició su construcción en 1609. En su interior se . . . — Map (db m104305) HM
Mexico, Veracruz (Municipality of Veracruz) — First Municipal Council in Mexico
A la heroica ciudad de la Vera Cruz en el LD aniversario de la constitucion de su ayuntamiento, primero perdurable en America Continental, institución que es la base de la organizacion democratica mexicana, que autentico el escribano Diego de . . . — Map (db m104295) HM
Mexico, Veracruz (Municipality of Veracruz) — Francisco Javier Clavijero Echegaray
A la memoria del ilustre veracruzano Francisco Javier Clavijero Echegaray en el CCL aniversario de su natalicio a los seis días del mes de septiembre de 1981, se coloco esta placa, siendo Gobernador Constitutional del estado de Veracruz, el C. . . . — Map (db m104385) HM
Mexico, Veracruz (Municipality of Veracruz) — Major General Álvaro Obregón
Este monument fue erigido en memoria del General de Division C. Alvaro Obregon, por los empleados de la Aduana Maritima de este puerto. MCMXXIX English translation: This monument was erected in memory of the Major General C. Álvaro . . . — Map (db m104336) WM
Mexico, Veracruz (Municipality of Veracruz) — The Convent of San Francisco
Convento de San Francisco1El primer templo de la orden franciscana en la ciudad de Veracruz estuvo construido en madera con un pequeño torreón de mampostería, en 1715 en atención al decreto de Cal y Canto, el templo es construido de mampostería . . . — Map (db m104292) HM
Mexico, Veracruz (Municipality of Veracruz) — The Mexican Naval Academy
Este recinto albergo a la Escuela Naval Militar de 1897 a 1952, fue testigo de la valentia, la lealtad y el honor que mostraron los cadetes, durante la Gesta Heroica de Veracruz el 21 de abril de 1914. English translation: This area . . . — Map (db m104386) HM WM
Mexico, Veracruz (Municipality of Veracruz) — The Portal de Miranda Building
Portal de MirandaEste inmueble construido en el siglo XVIII. Es uno de los que conservan su portal que miraba hacia el antiguo mercado de la ciudad, donde hoy se encuentra el edificio Trigueros, así mismo conserva su entresuelo y sus muros de . . . — Map (db m104298) HM
Mexico, Veracruz (Municipality of Veracruz) — The Veracruz City Museum
Museo de la CiudadDon Manuel Gutiérrez Zamora Gobernador del Estado tuvo la idea de crear un lugar para dar hogar y escuela a los huérfanos veracruzanos asegurando su subsistencia en el futuro siendo que para su construcción el Gobierno del . . . — Map (db m104346) HM
Mexico, Veracruz (Municipality of Veracruz) — Veracruz Memorial to the Fallen of Foreign Invasions
A los caídos en el bombardeo de San Juan de Ulúa al Puerto de Veracruz en 1823. A los defensores del pueblo Veracruzano en la "Intervención Francesa de 1838". A los héroes que ofrendaron su vida en defensa de la patria en la "Invasión . . . — Map (db m104315) WM
United Kingdom, England, London — The Monument
This monument designed by Sir Christopher Wren was built to commemorate the Great Fire of London 1666 which burned for three days consuming more than 13,000 houses and devastating 436 acres of the City. The Monument is 202 ft in height, being equal . . . — Map (db m104064) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Coffee High School1917~1951
(side 1) Coffee High School opened at this site in the fall of 1917. Camilla Coffee donated the land in honor of her late husband, Capt. Alexander D. Coffee, son of Gen. John Coffee, a Founding Father of Florence. Because of her generosity, . . . — Map (db m104643) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — The First Offices of the Confederate Government
Here were located The First Offices of The Confederate Government From Feb. 22, 1861 To May 21, 1861. Secondary marker This . . . — Map (db m104718) HM
California (Shasta County), Igo — Military Order of the Purple Heart MemorialNorthern California Veterans Memorial
Combat Veterans Wounded-My stone is red for the blood they shed. The medal I bear is my country’s way to show they care. If I could be seen by all mankind maybe peace will come in my lifetime. — Map (db m104604) WM
California (Shasta County), Igo — Submariners Memorial
Forever in Memory of Those Submariners on Eternal Patrol-Sailors Rest Your Oar-Dedicated by U.S. Submarine Veterans — Map (db m104494) WM
California (Shasta County), Igo — U.S. Army Special Forces Memorial
To the Quiet Professionals for Their Courage, Their Honor, Their Ability and for Their Unwavering Dedication to Freedom. De Oppresso Liber — Map (db m104603) WM
Colorado (Mesa County), Fruitas — Butch CassidyIn the Grand Valley
Reportedly, in October 1899 Butch Cassidy and several members of the Wild Bunch, also known as the Hole-in-the-wall Gang, travelled through Grand Valley. From 1889 to 1904 this band of deperadoes thrilled local citizens and terrified many . . . — Map (db m104504) HM
Colorado (Pitkin County), Aspen — Independence TownsiteElevation 10,830 feet — White River National Forest
Founded July 4, 1879 when gold was discovered, Independence was the first community in the Roaring Fork Valley. A thriving mining camp, stagecoach and layover stop for all travel across Hunter’s Pass, it became a ghost town in the late 1800’s when . . . — Map (db m104715) HM
Connecticut (New London County), Groton — U.S. Submarine Memorial
To perpetuate the memory of those gallant shipmates who gave their lives during World War II. Dedicated by U.S. Submarine Veterans of World War II.

U.S. Submarines still on their last patrol.

Sealion SS195 December 10, 1941; S-36 SS141 . . . — Map (db m104650) WM

Connecticut (New London County), Groton — Wall of HonorU.S. Submarine Memorial
In grateful memory of these submariners who died in the service of their country during World War II. They stand in the unbroken line of patriots who have dared to die so that freedom might live. Their final resting places are known only to the . . . — Map (db m104652) WM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — SC-230 — The Coursey-Daisey Nanticoke Indian Burial Ground
​ Located with in this neighborhood, a short distance south of here, is the burial ground of the Coursey and Daisey families, members of the Nanticoke Indian tribe. The graveside is unmarked except for a family tombstone noting the site. It . . . — Map (db m104206) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Palm Beach Gardens — Old Dade County Court House
About three hundred feet east of this marker, stood the Dade County Court House at Juno, the county seat from 1890 to 1900. Juno—since abandoned—was the southern terminus of the "Celestial Railroad" from Jupiter to Juno, and the northern . . . — Map (db m104645) HM
Georgia (Camden County), St Marys — Captain Lemuel Johnson Memorial and Park
This park is a memorial to Captain Lemuel Johnson- Confederate Veteran and benefactor of this city 1918 — Map (db m103545) WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1332 — Stanford's Mississippi Battery.Strahl’s Brigade, Cheatham’s Division, Polk’s Corps.
Stanford's Mississippi Battery. 4-3 inch rifles. Strahl’s Brigade, Cheatham’s Division, Polk’s Corps. September 19, 1863. Capt. Thomas. J. Stanford, Commanding 1st Lieut. Hugh. R. McSwine. 2nd Lieut. James S. McCall. 2nd Lieut. . . . — Map (db m104691) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Ardick — 095-33 — Capture of 23 Old Men in 1864
Near here, in Ebenezer Church, 23 old men were captured by Federal troops on the night of August 3rd, 1864. These civilians, too old for military service, were the sole protection of McIntosh County, which was constantly being plundered by forces . . . — Map (db m104509) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Darien — 095-14 — Fort Barrington»— 12 mi. →
Fort Barrington, about twelve miles West of here on the Altamaha River, was built in 1751. Lieut. Robert Baillie, in charge of construction, commanded the post for several years. Named Fort Howe during the Revolution, the fort played a vital part . . . — Map (db m104506) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Darien — 095-17 — Old River Road
The River Road has changed but little in location since its beginning as a Military Route in 1739. Scottish Highlanders first marched over it on their way to invade Spanish Florida, and troops have used it in three wars ­- the War with Spain, the . . . — Map (db m104508) HM
Indiana (Madison County), Pendleton — Carnegie LibraryTown of Pendleton
Side A Pendleton’s first Library Association was formed in 1877. Subscribers paid $5 each for one of 200 association shares. In 1906, 18 community residents formed the Independent Social Club. Each read a book, they brought it to a meeting. . . . — Map (db m104357) HM
Indiana (Madison County), Pendleton — Falls ParkTown of Pendleton
Side A After decades as a milling center and stone quarry, the area around the falls was, by 1918, an eyesore. Pendleton hardware store owner and town board member B.F. Phipps felt the area should be more than the town dump. His vision: Clean it . . . — Map (db m104360) HM
Indiana (Madison County), Pendleton — 48.2017.1 — Indians Murdered 1824
Side A U.S. took American Indian lands in central Indiana by treaty in 1818. Some Indian villages and camps remained in the area as white settlers rushed to buy land. In the spring of 1824, white men murdered nine Indian men, women and children . . . — Map (db m104355) HM
Indiana (Madison County), Pendleton — Pendleton Town Hall ExplosionTown of Pendleton
Side A The two-story Pendleton Town Hall, fire station and police headquarters stood here. On the night of January 9, 1936, as town board members met on the second floor, some men sat talking on the first. Irvin Taylor, a 50-year-old Pendleton . . . — Map (db m104358) HM
Indiana (Madison County), Pendleton — The FallsTown of Pendleton
Side A When first discovered, the falls were a natural wonder. In the midst of a dense forest flowed a pristine creek cascading over terraces of magnificent stone. According to legend, Native Americans believed the area around the falls . . . — Map (db m104359) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — Al J. Schneider
. . . — Map (db m104312) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — Belle of Louisville
Belle of Louisville The Belle of Louisville was built (by the James Rees & Sons Company) in Pittsburgh in 1914 and commissioned the Idlewild. She first operated as a ferry at Memphis carrying passengers, freight, farm produce and . . . — Map (db m104307) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — 1639 — Cathedral of the Assumption
Cathedral of the Assumption Parish first gathered in 1805; founded by Father Stephen Badin, the first Roman Catholic priest ordained in U.S. Congregation moved to this site, 1830. In mid-1830s Catherine Spalding founded orphanage and academy here. . . . — Map (db m104485) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — 2478 — Catherine Spalding / St. Vincent Orphanage and Infirmary
Catherine Spalding Co-founder of the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth in Ky., she wrote that the orphanage was “the only place on earth to which my heart clings.” Catherine loved and nurtured hundreds of children and it was said that . . . — Map (db m104471) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — 1697 — City and County Named / Jefferson County Courthouse
City and County Named Louisville, at the Falls of the Ohio, was founded in 1778 by George Rogers Clark. Site first served as a military outpost; the city which developed was named for Louis XVI. Kentucky Co., Virginia, was divided in 1780 into . . . — Map (db m104581) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — Crescent Hill Reservoir and Gatehouse
Crescent Hill Reservoir and Gatehouse Louisville Water Company opened the Crescent Hill Reservoir in December 1879. Crews removed tons of dirt and rock to create a 110-million gallon basin that allowed sediment to settle from the Ohio River water. . . . — Map (db m104423) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — D.X. Murphy & Bro., Architects — Bourbon District Historic Site 429 west
Louisville architect Dennis Xavier Murphy inherited a thriving architectural firm from Henry Whitestone and solidified it as a preeminent de firm in the growing city. The firm was well-known for its design of the Galt House Hotel; the grandstand . . . — Map (db m104372) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — Evan WilliamsKentucky’s 1st Distiller
Evan Williams Kentucky’s 1st Distiller Arrived in Ky. as early as 1781. Williams was picked in 1797 to serve on Louisville’s first elected Board of Trustees and was appointed Harbor Master for Port of Louisville same year. He was also major . . . — Map (db m104367) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — 2445 — Evan Williams1755-1810
Evan Williams 1755-1810 A native of Wales, Williams came to Kentucky around 1780. In 1783, he built his distillery on the banks of the Ohio River, distilling whiskey from corn on the east side of what is now 5th Street.it is said to have been the . . . — Map (db m104373) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — 2317 — Filtration Plant / Reservoir and Gatehouse
Filtration Plant In the late 1800s, Louisville Water Company pioneered research in the filtration of drinking water. The Crescent Hill Filtration Plant opened in July 1909 as a result of the work of Chief Engineer Charles Hermany & George Warren . . . — Map (db m104418) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — 2173 — First Unitarian Church
First Unitarian Church Founded in 1830, First Unitarian Church has been active in civil-rights movements as well as community-wide initiatives. Several fires have damaged the church. Including one in 1985 which left only the stone walls. Each time . . . — Map (db m104729) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — Fort Nelson Park
( left plaque ) Fort Nelson was the third pioneer settlement in Louisville and dates from 1782. The first was Corn Island (1778) and the second was Fort-On-Shore (1779) sited near 12th and Rowan Streets. Fort Nelson was named after the . . . — Map (db m104416) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — George Denison Prentice
George Denison Prentice (1802-1870) was a controversial figure in Louisville history. Born in Connecticut, educated at Brown, University Prentice taught school, and studied both law and medicine before embarking on a career in journalism. Henry . . . — Map (db m104728) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — George Rogers Clark
George Rogers Clark 1752 — 1818 Soldier, Patriot Founder Of Louisville Founder Of Kentucky Conqueror Of Our First Great West From The Alleghany Mountains To The Mississippi River A Son Of Virginia A Gallant Gentleman And . . . — Map (db m104489) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — 1441 — Jefferson County
One of three original counties formed when Kentucky Co.,Virginia, was divided by Va. Act in 1780. Other 2 counties were Lincoln and Fayette. Jefferson included 19 present-day counties; parts of 11 others. By 1811 reduced to present noundaries. . . . — Map (db m104488) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — Kentucky Medal Of Honor Memorial
Kentucky Medal Of Honor Memorial ( east side ) The Medal of Honor America’s highest award for combat valor, the Medal of Honor is presented to armed forces personnel who risked – and often gave – their lives in service . . . — Map (db m104487) WM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — Kentucky School for the Blind
Founded on May 9, 1842, the Kentucky School for the Blind became the sixth school for the blind in the United States. The Kentucky Legislature approved the founding of the school by charter on February 5, 1842. Two of the most important . . . — Map (db m104467) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — Life Saving Station 10
Life Saving Station 10 Life-saving stations, established by the Life-Saving Service, precursor to today's Coast Guard, were set up by the Federal Government along the western rivers in 1881 to provide aid to endangered river travelers. Louisville . . . — Map (db m104309) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — Louis XVI
Louis XVI 1754 – 1793 King of France 1774 – 1793 This city was named Louisville in 1780 because of his support of the American Colonies in the Revolutionary War. The statue, sculptured by Valois in 1827, was given to Louisville . . . — Map (db m104582) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — Louisville Firefighters Memorial
“This Memorial Is Dedicated To The Firefighters Who Have Fallen In The Line Of Duty” ( fire fighters ) Jack Hunt Oct 12, 1874 · Joseph Connell Nov 13, 1886 · Nicholas Lawrence Jan 31, 1888 · Dennis Hamilton Feb 17, . . . — Map (db m104724) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — Louisville Law Enforcement Memorial
Dedicated To The Memory Of Those Law Enforcement Officers Who Have Given Their Lives In The Line Of Duty John O’Connell LPD July 8, 1869 · Edward Burne LPD July 4, 1895 · Theodore Bossung LPD November 15, 1907 · William Murphy, LPD . . . — Map (db m104726) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — Louisville Wharf During The Civil War Years
Louisville Wharf During the Civil War Years Evolving from the primitive landing of Louisville’s earliest days, the wharf had become a cobblestoned center of city life by the mid-1820s. By the 1850's, as many as 20 steamboats a day arrived and . . . — Map (db m104311) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — Mayor Andrew Broaddus
Mayor Andrew Broaddus Has Been Designated A National Historic Landmark This Site Posseeses National Significance In Commemorating The History of the United States of America 1989 National Park Service United States Department of . . . — Map (db m104308) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — Mother Catherine Spaulding
Beginning in 1831, Mother Catherine Spalding was the vital leader in forming what we now refer to today as "Compassionate Louisville” initiating groundbreaking programs in education, health care, and social service. Downtown Louisville is . . . — Map (db m104486) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — 2134 — Murray Atkins Walls Civil Rights Pioneer
Murray Atkins Walls Civil Rights Pioneer Born in 1899, Walls fought to end segregation in public housing, city libraries, and local Girl Scouts. Walls led the movement that intergrated Girl Scout programs and camps by 1956. She was the first . . . — Map (db m104727) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — 2412 — Rotary Club of Louisville / Henry Watterson Hotel
Rotary Club of Louisville First Rotary Club in Ky. and 45th in the world. First met on July 26, 1912 and then weekly at the Henry Watterson Hotel from 1912-1924. The Rotary’s servicetheme led to creation of Ky. Soc. for Crippled Children. At . . . — Map (db m104472) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — 1336 — Since 1842 / Since 1858 — The Kentucky School for the Blind
Since 1842 The Kentucky School for the Blind, third such state supported school in US. Dr. Samuel G. Howe of Boston, pioneer educator of blind, invited to Kentucky to give public demonstration with his own pupils. Displayed before Ky. Legislature . . . — Map (db m104425) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — Sit-In Demonstration Site
Sit-In Demonstration Site Blue Boar Cafeteria 644 South Fourth Street 410 West Muhammad Ali Blvd. (formerly Walnut Street) One of two Blue Boar Cafeterias was located at this site. Blue Boar was part of a regional chain that primarily . . . — Map (db m104473) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — 1546 — St. John’s Evanglical Church
St. John’s Evanglical Church German congregation founded, 1843. The first local church to join Evangelical Church Society of the West, 1856, pioneer of Evangelical Synod of North America. Hosted first general conference of Society 1859, at church . . . — Map (db m104470) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — The Columbia Building — Bourbon District Historic Site 401 west
For a decade after it was completed in 1890, the Columbia Building anchored the northwest corner of Fourth and Main Streets and was the tallest building in the city, matching the height of the world's tallest skyscraper, the Chicago Home Insurance . . . — Map (db m104370) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — The Stockade On Corn Island, 1778
The Stockade On Corn Island, 1778. A group of pioneers, under the military protection of General George Rogers Clark, made the original settlement of the town of Louisville in May, 1778 on Corn Island, then about one hundred fifty . . . — Map (db m104417) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — Thelma French Schneider
Columbia Building Cornerstone Thelma French Schneider Is an example for all young people of today that anything can be accomplished with hard work and determination. In 1928 her first job was at this site when it was known as the Columbia . . . — Map (db m104371) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — 1713 — Thomas Edison Butchertown House
Thomas Edison Butchertown House Edison (1847-1931) rented a room in this house. As a young man he conducted experiments, often all night, then walked to his job as a telegraph operator at 58 West Main Street. Experimenting at work, he spilled . . . — Map (db m104469) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — Thomas Jefferson Memorial
( inscribed around the base ) This monument to Thomas Jefferson was presented to the people of Kentucky July 4 1900 by Isaac W and Bernard Bernheim to perpetuate the teachings and examples of the Founders of the Republic ( . . . — Map (db m104579) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — U.S. Coast Guard World War II Operations in Louisville
U. S. Coast Guard World War II Operations in Louisville From November, 1942 - November, 1944, 134 Coast Guard temporary reservists conducted continuous river patrols from this station. Led by Lt. J.C. Theobald And Lt. (J.G.) W.T. Duvall, this . . . — Map (db m104310) HM WM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Woodlawn Park — 1820 — Woodlawn Race Course
Woodlawn Race Course Opened in 1859 and drew national attention. Closed after Civil War. R.A. Alexander, noted breeder, was major figure in buying estate for National Racing Association. He contracted with Tiffany's to design Woodlawn Vase; used in . . . — Map (db m104421) HM
Louisiana (Catahoula Parish), Harrisonburg — McGuffee MoundsAncient Mounds Trail
McGuffee has as many as 6 mounds on the west bank of the Ouachita River. Several of the mounds are well preserved and visible from the road. A C-shaped earthen ridge encloses the mounds. Radiocarbon dates suggest Indians built these earthworks . . . — Map (db m104674) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Billy TruaxEnd
A consummate tight end, but LSU's offense in his era was geared towards the run and, consequently, his talents as a pass receiver were never exploited. It was mostly his superb blocking that earned him All-American status in 1963. He played 10 . . . — Map (db m104390) HM
Louisiana (East BAton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Civil War Cannons
These Cannons Fired At Fort Sumter And Presented To University By General W.T. Sherman After The Civil War — Map (db m104456) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Distinguished Cadets1938-1939
Dedicated by the Louisiana Department Reserve Officers Association of the United States to those Cadets who have distinguished themselves by their outstanding attention to duty their scholarly attainments and their preparation of of . . . — Map (db m104461) HM WM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Distinguished Cadets1939-1940
Dedicated by the Louisiana Department Reserve Officers Association of the United States to those Cadets who have distinguished themselves by their outstanding attention to duty their scholarly attainments and their preparation of of . . . — Map (db m104463) HM WM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Distinguished Cadets1937-1938
Dedicated by the Louisiana Department Reserve Officers Association of the United States to those Cadets who have distinguished themselves by their outstanding attention to duty their scholarly attainments and their preparation of of . . . — Map (db m104484) HM WM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Distinguished Cadets1940-1941
Dedicated by the Louisiana Department Reserve Officers Association of the United States to those Cadets who have distinguished themselves by their outstanding attention to duty their scholarly attainments and their preparation of of . . . — Map (db m104675) HM WM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Doug MoreauSplit End
His pass catching ability was heralded, but his place kicking was also vitally important. He was named All-SEC in 1964 and earned All-American honors in 1965. He played professionally with the Miami Dolphins from 1966-1970. He is also well known to . . . — Map (db m104401) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Fred MillerTackle
A stellar lineman for the great LSU teams of the early 1960s, he earned All-America honors as the key blocker for Heisman Trophy runner-up Jerry Stovall in 1962. In his three seasons at LSU the Tigers won two bowl games. He was drafted by both the . . . — Map (db m104388) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — George RiceTackle
A devastating blocker and tackler for the White Team, he played three sports in high school and brought his athletic talents to the Tigers. An All-SEC choice as a junior, he earned All-America honors as a senior in 1965. He helped lead the Tigers . . . — Map (db m104420) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Jerry StovallHalfback
One of the finest all-around players in Tiger history, he was named All-American and finished second in the Heisman Trophy balloting in 1962. Twice named All-SEC, he was a star defensive back for nine years with St. Louis. He served as LSU's head . . . — Map (db m104389) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — John GarlingtonEnd
An incredible athlete whose talents typified his play and teamwork, opponents were timid when it came to attacking his side of the defensive line. Even with his size, he was a speed merchant. In the 1966 Rice game, he picked off an errant pass and . . . — Map (db m104428) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Remi Prudhomme
A stalwart of the Chinese Bandits, he was an unusually strong player. His size and weight made him unique and his aggressive temperament was ideal for the role in which he was cast. Named All-American in 1964, he went on to a brilliant professional . . . — Map (db m104391) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Bazus BuildingCirca 1880
Originally the Iberia House, the Bezus Building was erected circa 1880 on property purchased in 1868 by Laurent Bazus, a native of Vin-En-Bigorre, France. It is considered the oldest existing structure in New Iberia's downtown. Laurent's heirs have . . . — Map (db m104453) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Evangeline TheaterCirca 1930
After the Great Fire of 1870, the Dreyfus Building was partitioned in 1929, with this portion becoming one of the city's early movie houses, The Evangeline Theater., Opened on April 19, 1930, by the Theodore Sliman Family, the building was renovated . . . — Map (db m104442) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — James Lee Burke
Fans of author James Lee Burke will easily recognize New Iberia as the settings for several of his famed Dave Robicheaux novels. Burke, who has been called the Faulkner of crime fiction, spent summers with his family in New Iberia. This area is . . . — Map (db m104429) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Provost's Café and Bar/Clementine Fine Dining and SpiritsCirca 1890
Originally part of the 1777 Spanish Land Grant to François Prévost, this Iberia to Julia Street property with its circa 1890 building was purchased by Frédéric Henri Dupérier in 1829. The property remained with the heirs of Dupérier until its sale . . . — Map (db m104448) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — The Davis BuildingCirca 1892
This building, constructed in 1892 by the Jacob Davis Family on land purchased from Leonidas Serret, remained in the Davis family until its 1936 purchase by Dr. Paul A. Lebourgeois. The pediment brickwork of the second story facade is considered . . . — Map (db m104430) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — The Gouguenheim BuildingCirca 1890
This building, having a second story gallery which extended over the sidewalk, was largely responsible for preventing a disastrous fire from spreading throughout the Town's business district. As flamed destroyed the block just east of here on the . . . — Map (db m104451) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Wormser's Department StoreCirca 1932
Constructed after the Great Fire of 1899, these buildings once housed Jake Weil's clothing store named The Hub and Schwing and Carsten's Department Store. In 1932, Justin Wormser established Wormser's Department Store in the westernmost building. . . . — Map (db m104449) HM
Louisiana (Iberville Parish), Carville — Cage Door of Harry T. Chimpanzee
Harry was a "bull" chimp (alpha male). His importance in Laboratory Research was that his blood was used to make an extract called transfer factor that was given to patients. His "official" designation was a special study case "Harry T. Chimpanzee". . . . — Map (db m104365) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Jefferson — Marsalis Mansion Motel
Opened at 110 Shrewsbury Road in 1944 to serve African Americans during segregation. Proprietor Ellis L. Marsalis, Sr., was Jazz musician family patriarch & Civil Rights pioneer. Closed in 1986. — Map (db m104702) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Our Lady of the Rosary Rectory
About 1834, Évariste Blanc had this Greek Revival mansion built on his Bayou St. John estate. His widow, Marie Fannie Labatut Blanc, planned to give the property to the Archdiocese of New Orleans for a parish church as early as 1855 .Fifty years . . . — Map (db m104705) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Saint Joseph Church
This building replaced an earlier church, erected in 1844 on Common St. (Tulane Ave.) opposite the Charity Hospital of Louisiana. Ground-breaking for the present edifice took place May 9, 1869. Construction continued intermittently until . . . — Map (db m104713) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Solomon Northup"12 Years A Slave"
Located in the Faubourg Marigny, from the corner of Esplanade Ave. and Chartres St., is the former site of Theophilus Freeman's notorious slave pen (demolished after the Civil War) where Solomon Northup, a free man of color from New York, was sold . . . — Map (db m104704) HM
Louisiana (Saint Martin Parish), St. Martinville — On This Site Lie Buried Officers of The Attakapas Militia
On this site lie buried officers of The Attakapas Militia serving under General Bernardo Galvez In the march to and capture of Baton Rouge and Manchac September 1779. Commandant Alexandre-Chevalier de Clouet Major Louis Du Crest Corporal Jean . . . — Map (db m104468) HM WM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Houma — Terrebonne Parish Courthouse Square Oaks
Marker 1 These majestic southern live oaks (Quercus virginiana) in this Terrebonne Courthouse Square were planted during the winter of 1886 by Bernard Filhucan Bazet. Mr. Bazet was born in Lasserre, France in 1832, entered Terrebonne Parish . . . — Map (db m104676) HM
Maine (Androscoggin County), Lewiston — Lewiston Maine Civil War Memorial
Erected by the citizens of Auburn in memory of her noble sons who by land and sea gave their lives to preserve the UNION and secure FREEDOM to all its people 1882.

1 Side has 31 names inscribed. Additional side has 31 names inscribed. — Map (db m104649) WM

Maryland, Baltimore — From Bricks and Pianos to FootballGwynns Falls Trail
More than a million bricks were used to construct M&T Bank Stadium in 1998. This reflects not only Maryland’s architectural heritage, but also the history of the site, a one-time colonial brickyard. Alexander Russell produced bricks here, using clay . . . — Map (db m104382) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — A Good Night's RestFrederick's Hotel Block
This part of downtown Frederick has long been a place of lodging and hospitality for travelers along the National Road. Kimball's Inn, Talbott's Tavern, the City Hotel and the Francis Scott Key Hotel have occupied this site for over two hundred . . . — Map (db m104243) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — Francis Scott KeyRotary International
The Thirty Fourth District ·Rotary International· At Its First Conference March 1923 Pays This Tribute to Francis Scott Key · Author of· Our National Anthem ⟵·⟶ “And the Star Spangled Banner, Oh, . . . — Map (db m104597) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — Francis Scott KeyUnited Daughters of 1812
The National Society United Daughters of 1812 State Presidents and Charter Members April 5, 1979 Pay this tribute to Francis Scott Key Author of Our National Anthem ⟵·⟶ “Then Conquer We Must When . . . — Map (db m104602) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Bel Air — MA & PA Heritage Trail
The History of the MA & PA Trail The MA & PA Railroad stretched between Baltimore at North Avenue & Howard Streets, on to Towson, through Long Green Valley into Harford County. It ended at Market Street in York, Pennsylvania. Even by the . . . — Map (db m104553) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — The Lafayette Trail
This three-mile trail begins here at the Susquehanna Museum at the Lock House and winds through the historic district. As you follow the fleur-de-lis trail marker, you will travel by our museums and over 800 historic structures within the old town . . . — Map (db m104475) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Sandy Spring — The Sandy Spring
The Sandy Spring community took its name from this spring, which provides fresh water filtered through the sandy soil. In 1745, the spring was located on what was once known as “Snowden's Manor” and later known as “Harewood”. . . . — Map (db m104248) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Rossville Community, Muirkirk District — Iron Production: Maryland's Industrial Past - The Iron Making Process
Iron Production: Maryland’s Industrial Past Maryland’s early economy and identity were based on slave-based agriculture. However, slaves were also employed in manufacturing iron, one of the first non-agricultural industries. Seeing how . . . — Map (db m104641) HM
Maryland (Saint Marys County), Scotland — Prison Pen
Here you see a partial reconstruction of Camp Hoffman, the largest Union prison camp for Confederate soldiers. Built after the Battle of Gettysburg, it was planned to hold 10,000 prisoners. However, more than five times that number—52,000 in . . . — Map (db m104746) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — First Olds Horseless Carriage
Near this site in 1886, Ransom Eli Olds designed, built, and first drove a steam powered horseless carriage. In 1803, he brought out his first automobile using gasoline engine power. In 1897, he organized the Olds Motor Vehicle company and produced . . . — Map (db m104356) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — Grand Army of the Republic
THIS MEMORIAL was erected in memory of and dedicated to the Grand Army of the Republic by the Department of Michigan Women's Relief Corps. Jun 11, 1924. "Ever in the realms of glory shall shine your starry fame. Angels have heard your story. God . . . — Map (db m104515) WM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L1468 — Kerns Hotel Fire / Box 23 Club
Kerns Hotel Fire At 5:30 A.M. on December 11, 1934, the alarm outside the Kerns Hotel sounded. The 211-room four-story brick hotel that stood on this site had 215 registered guests. Before the last embers of the fire were extinguished, . . . — Map (db m104407) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — 745C — Lansing Labor Holiday
Side A As the labor movement spread across Michigan in the 1930s, workers in Lansing organized. After a successful strike at REO Motor Car Company ended in April 1937, the Amalgamated United Auto Workers Local 182 began recruiting new . . . — Map (db m104288) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — S0618 — Wolverine Boys' State / Wolverine Girls' State
Wolverine Boys' State: The American Legion On November 28, 1937, the board of directors of The American Legion established Wolverine Boys' State. American Legion departments in other states, including Ohio and Indiana, had existing programs. . . . — Map (db m104318) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — Adrian's Governors
William Greenly was born in New York and came to Adrian in 1836. He became a lawyer and in 1838 was elected a state senator on the Democratic ticket. In 1846 Greenly was elected lieutenant governor. When Governor Alpheus Felch resigned a year . . . — Map (db m104377) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — Adrian's Prominent Leaders
Thomas Cooley was the greatest lawyer and judge ever to come out of Lenawee County and is generally considered the finest legal mind Michigan produced during the nineteenth century. During the 1840s and 1850s, Cooley partnered with several local . . . — Map (db m104514) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — Frank Navin & The Detroit Tigers
Frank Navin was the most famous Adrian native involved in professional baseball in his day. Born in Adrian in 1871, Navin went to Detroit in 1889, where he worked as a bookkeeper. He eventually became the right-hand man to Sanuel F. Angus, the . . . — Map (db m104549) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — History of Kiwanis Trail and Trestle Park
Early in 1974, with much foresight, the City of Adrian adopted a Land Use Plan that called for the acquisition of all river bank property between Riverside and Island Parks. The goal was to connect the two major city parks with a walkway. A major . . . — Map (db m104477) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — History of the Adrian Kiwanis Club
The Adrian Kiwanis Club was begun in 1940, some 35 years after Kiwanis was founded in Detroit. The Adrian club was chartered by the Hillsdale Kiwanis Club and Charter Night was September 25, 1940 with an initial membership of 34. The purpose of . . . — Map (db m104414) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — Professional Baseball in Adrian
Adrian got to experience professional baseball in 1894 when the Adrian Light Guard baseball team was formed to play in the Michigan Baseball League. Although the league lasted only one year, Adrian fielded great players such as star pitcher and . . . — Map (db m104596) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — Spirit of Cooperation
The Adrian Kiwanis Club and the City of Adrian have a rich history of working together to make Adrian a better community. With the assistance of the City in site selection, and through significant public support, the Kiwanis Riverview Terrace, a . . . — Map (db m104500) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — The First House Built in Adrian
This tablet marks the site of the first house built in Adrian in 1826 by Addison J. Comstock founder of the city. — Map (db m104402) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ann Arbor Township — Cider Mill1887
Originally built by William's son, Fred J. Parker, to produce cider and vinegar. After the cider press was sold, the building was used for storage and to house a grain cleaner. — Map (db m104732) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ann Arbor Township — Grist Mill1873
A two stone grist mill was built by William Q. Parker for purpose of grinding feed and corn meal. Operated as a commercial flour mill from 1910-1956, it was restored in 1984. — Map (db m104733) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ann Arbor Township — NA-01 — Native American Trails
Centuries ago, Indian trails crossed the landscape of Washtenaw County. These paths connected Indian villages to fertile hunting and fishing grounds throughout Michigan. When settlers arrived in the County during the 19th century, these same . . . — Map (db m104642) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ann Arbor Township — Welcome to the Parker Family Mills!
Starting a New Life William Q. Parker and his bride Mary came from England in 1861 to begin a new life. They purchased land in Washtenaw County and by 1872 were well-established farmers. Here, on the ruins of the old Fleming . . . — Map (db m104677) HM
Minnesota (Saint Louis County), Tower — The Old Vermilion Trail and Winston City
On October 28, 1865, geologist Henry H. Eames returned to St. Paul after initiating a survey of the mineral wealth present in the Lake Vermilion area only to find an abundance of rumors concerning a valuable gold strike on the shores of that lake. A . . . — Map (db m104381) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Ceremonial Center
Archaeological and historical evidence indicates that the Grand Village of Natchez Indians was not really a "village." It was the main ceremonial mound center for the Natchez Indians during the period of French exploration and colonization of the . . . — Map (db m104481) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Intersection of High and North Wall StreetsNatchez Trails
Joseph Neibert built Choctaw in 1836 as his mansion townhouse. Neibert was a cotton planter. In the 1830s he and his partner Peter Gemmel, operated the city's most successful building firm, which employed both white and enslaved . . . — Map (db m104476) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Intersection of Main and South Union StreetsNatchez Trails
An 1890 view of Memorial Park shows the Confederate soldier monument draped for unveiling. Like many others across the south, it faces north towards the opposing army.The park's creation was part of the Lost Cause Movement that expressed . . . — Map (db m104480) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Natchez Bluffs and River ViewsNatchez Trails
The Harper family mansion had a spectacular view of the river from the bluff. The construction of the railroad and related development made its land valuable for commerce, and the house and its garden were destroyed to build a large warehouse (no . . . — Map (db m104673) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Confederate Rifle Pits — Battle of Grand Gulf
During the April 29, 1863 bom- bardment of Grand Gulf these rifle pits and the "covered way" which linked Fort Wade and Fort Cobun were held by the 3rd Missouri (Confederate). — Map (db m104338) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Confederate Rifle Pits — Battle of Grand Gulf
During the April 29, 1863, bombardment of Grand Gulf, these rifle pits were held by the 6th Missouri (Confederate). — Map (db m104293) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Gun Emplacement — Grand Gulf Historic Tour
To guard against a Union attack in their rear, the Confederates threw up this work. Note the embrasures for four field guns and the ditch fronting the parapet. — Map (db m104296) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Gun Emplacement — Grand Gulf Historic Tour
To guard against a Union attack in their rear, the Confederates threw up this work. Note the embrasures for four field guns and the ditch fronting the parapet. — Map (db m104301) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Scotia — Port Gibson Historic Tour
Built by Thomas Foster as a one room log house in 1768 in the community of Scotia, located 5 miles south of the present town of Roxie in Franklin County, Mississippi. About 1789 a "dog trot" was added to connect a second room. The upstairs was added . . . — Map (db m104291) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Supporting Battery — Grand Gulf Historic Tour
. . . — Map (db m104289) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Supporting Battery — Grand Gulf Historic Tour
. . . — Map (db m104300) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — This XIII-inch Mortar — Grand Gulf Historic Tour
This XIII-inch Mortar was probably used by the Union in the fight for Vicksburg. In the early 1900's it was seen partially buried in the levee on Davis Island. These mortars were mounted on schooners or box-like boats. . . . — Map (db m104294) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Campaign, Siege, and Defense of Vicksburg: 1863.Battle of Port Gibson, Mississippi, May 1.
The Union Army under command of Maj. Gen. U.S. Grant was composed of the 13th Corps and Logan's Division of the 17th Corps. The Confederate Army, under command of Brig. Gen. John S. Bowen, was composed of Tracy's, Cockrell's, Green's, and Baldwin's . . . — Map (db m104412) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Claiborne County Courthouse — Port Gibson Historic Tour
. . . — Map (db m104339) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Englesing Home — Port Gibson Historic Tour
702 Church. Ca. 1817 Federal. The birthplace of Constance Cary who was one of the young ladies involved in making the first Confederate battleflag. The small formal garden is the only one of its type remaining in Port Gibson. — Map (db m104374) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — First Presbyterian Church — Port Gibson Historic Tour
609 Church. 1859-60 Romanesque Revival. This church with the hand pointing to heaven is the most famous building in Claiborne County. The original hand of gilded wood was carved by young Daniel Foley. — Map (db m104345) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Gage House — Port Gibson Historic Tour
602 Church. Ca. 1830-50 Federal/Greek Revival. One of the two remaining examples of this architectural style in Claiborne County. Double galleries have modified Tuscan colonnettes. The brick dependency possibly predated the home. — Map (db m104368) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Guthrie Home — Port Gibson Historic Tour
703 Church. Ca. 1840 Greek Revival/Italianate. Italianate long windows and protruding bay windows are typical of many houses built just before the Civil War. The interesting and unusual etched glass panel in the front door depicts a pelican. — Map (db m104344) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Lightfoot ParkHorace L. Lightfoot (1927-1976) — Tradesman • Businessman • Public Servant
• Claiborne County native educated in local schools and Alcorn A & M College • First black citizen elected to the Claiborne County Board of Education - 1969 to 1974 • Operated a successful business on this site • Owned an . . . — Map (db m104424) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Methodist Church — Port Gibson Historic Tour
901 Church. 1858-60 Romanesque Revival. The original building was constructed in 1826, but was destroyed by fire in 1858. The new church built on the same site, was dedicated July 8, 1860. — Map (db m104399) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Shreve House — Port Gibson Historic Tour
701 Church. Ca. 1825 Federal. The original floor plan consisted of four rooms, no center hall, front and back galleries. The designer and builder was Horatio Nelson Spencer, a prominent local attorney. — Map (db m104354) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — St. James Episcopal Church — Port Gibson Historic Tour
808 Church. 1884-85. Ca. 1897 High Victorian Gothic. The architect was W.P. Wentworth from Boston. The entire structure reflects contemporary architectural developments in Massachusetts rather than in Mississippi. — Map (db m104400) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Temple Gemiluth Chassed — Port Gibson Historic Tour
706 Church. 1891-92 Victorian Moro-Byzantine Revival. The architects of Temple Gemiluth Chassed, which means gift of the righteous, combined Moorish, Byzantine and Romanesque styles to produce a building unique in Mississippi. — Map (db m104343) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — The Port Gibson Boycott
On April 1, 1966, the local chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) imposed an economic boycott on the majority of the white-owned businesses in Port Gibson/Claiborne County. In the months leading up to the . . . — Map (db m104340) HM
Mississippi (DeSoto County), Southaven — Club Ebony
Club Ebony, which opened for business around 1948, was built over a period of years by John Jones, who purchased the property in November of 1945 with his wife Josephine. In a 1948 memoir, Jones wrote: "It is said to be the South's largest and . . . — Map (db m104465) HM
Mississippi (Desoto County), Southaven — Living Blues
Living Blues, the first American magazine dedicated exclusively to the blues, was founded in 1970 by seven young enthusiasts in Chicago. Cofounders Amy van Singel and Jim O’Neal became owners and publishers of the magazine in 1971, operating it . . . — Map (db m104661) HM
Mississippi (Desoto County), Southaven — The Peavine Branch
The "Peavine" branch of the Yazoo and Mississippi Valley Railroad met the Memphis to Vicksburg mainline at this site. From the late 1890s through the 1930s, the "Peavine" provided reliable transportation for bluesmen among the plantations of the . . . — Map (db m104681) HM
Mississippi (Pike County), McComb — 23 — Bo Diddley
Acclaimed as the father of rock and roll, Bo Diddley (Ellas Bates McDaniel) was born near Magnolia, south of McComb, on December 30, 1928. Diddley wrote and recorded such hits as "I'm A Man", "Bo Diddley', "Say Man" and "I'm a Roadrunner". The . . . — Map (db m104326) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg — Prince Hall Masonry Founded in Mississippi
This monument marks the site where Prince Hall Masonry in Mississippi was founded by Thomas W. Stringer in 1867 Erected September 22, 1985 by M.W. Stringer Grand Lodge, F.& A.M. Prince Hall Affiliation Edgar Bridges, Sr. Grand . . . — Map (db m104427) HM
Nebraska (Howard County), St. Paul — 317 — Grover Cleveland Alexander
Grover Cleveland Alexander, the third winningest pitcher in major league baseball history, was born near Elba, Nebraska, on February 26, 1887. After pitching for local and minor league teams, Alexander signed with the Philadelphia Phillies. In 1911, . . . — Map (db m104682) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Hanover — "Senior Fence"
The College first erected a fence specifically designated as a gathering place for Seniors in 1897 on the east side of the Green in front of Dartmouth Hall. Three years later the College moved the fence across the Green, where it remained for over a . . . — Map (db m104406) HM
New Hampshire (Merrimack County), New London — New London War Memorial
In grateful appreciation, the town of New London in full recognition of the supreme sacrifice* of a few and the arduous efforts of many, hereby acknowledge with deep humility and thanksgiving the participation of the community's men and women during . . . — Map (db m104574) WM
New Hampshire (Merrimack County), New London — New London War Memorial
In memory of our citizens who offered their lives to preserve the Union. Commissioned officers. General Joseph M. Clough Major Geaorge W. Everett Captain Andrew J. Sargent Captain Samuel M. Carr Captain Charlew Woodward Captain MAthew . . . — Map (db m104575) WM
New Hampshire (Merrimack County), Newbury — Center Meeting House, Newbury NH
New marker text Built in 1832, the Center Meeting House appears to be inspired by Asher Benjamin’s designs for Federal period religious buildings. Construction was financed by the First Toleration Society who wanted a place where all . . . — Map (db m104567) HM
New Hampshire (Merrimack County), Newbury — Newbury NH Veteran's Memorial
Remember Dedicated by the town of Newbury to all veterans who have served so that others may be free. July 14, 2012.

Additionally, there are 6 pillars representing the 6 different services. In front of the memorial there are several . . . — Map (db m104572) WM

New Hampshire (Sullivan County), Washington — Washington NH
N.H. Washington The first town incorporated under the name of George Washington Our first president December 13, 1776 Erected Nov. 1932 — Map (db m104566) HM
New Hampshire (Sullivan County), Washington — Washington NH Civil War Memorial
1861-1865 Erected in memory of those brave soldiers of Washington who gave their lives in the defense of their country, during the great rebellion.

Side 1 Hamilton Williams 19 • J. Landon Miller 21 • Gilman L. Beckwith 34 • Henry . . . — Map (db m104561) WM

New Hampshire (Sullivan County), Washington — Washington NH Town Common National Register of Historic Places
The Washington Common has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m104562) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Wayne Township — Historic Newark-Pompton TurnpikeEstablished 1806 — County of Passaic
(side facing north) On February 24, 1806, Businessman Israel Crane obtained a charter from the State of New Jersey to build a private toll road running from Broadway in Newark to Paterson-Hamburg Turnpike at Pompton in Morris County. He saw that . . . — Map (db m104644) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Hillsborough — Thomas P. Huff Farmstead
Constructed circa 1870, the Thomas P. Huff House exemplifies the Victorian era Tuscan Villa style. The site also includes a circa 1800 three-bay Dutch Barn, 1870 corn crib and other agricultural buildings. The farmstead historically operated as a . . . — Map (db m104499) HM
New Mexico (Chaves County), Roswell — 1633 — Continental Oil Company Station 1
Built circa 1920 Unique example of an early filling station designed in residential Tudor Revival Style. — Map (db m104394) HM
New Mexico (Chaves County), Roswell — Roswell and the New Deal
President Franklin Delano Roosevelt implemented the “New Deal,” a plan for ending the Great Depression. His economic program was was based on relief, recovery, and reform and included the introduction of the Works Progress Administration . . . — Map (db m104410) HM
New Mexico (Chaves County), Roswell — Roswell's Military Institutes
Joseph C. Lea enrolled his son Wildy in Fort Worth University, a noted military school. Lea was so impressed with his son's education that he recruited the superintendent of the school, Colonel Robert S. Goss, to found a military institute in . . . — Map (db m104395) HM
New Mexico (Chaves County), Roswell — Walker Air Force Base1941-1967
Roswell Army Air Field was established in 1941 and renamed after New Mexico native Brig. Gen. Kenneth Walker in 1948. Once the Strategic Air Command’s largest base, its bomber fleet and Atlas missiles were key deterrents during the early years of . . . — Map (db m104393) HM
New York (Broome County), Whitney Point — Gen. John Paterson1744 - 1808

Revolutionary Patriot New York State Assemblyman United States Congressman Colonial Pioneer — Map (db m104535) WM

New York (Broome County), Whitney Point — M60 A3 Battle Tank[War Memorial]

Years in Production: 1960 - 1987 Manufacturer: Detroit Arsenal Tank Plant, Chrysler Weight: 46 Tons Main Armament: 105mm (4.1in) M68 Gun Engine: V-12 Twin Turbo Diesel Top Speed: @30mph (road)

This display is in honor of all . . . — Map (db m104532) HM WM

New York (Kings County), Brooklyn — 12-Inch Naval Gun, Mark V, Model 8
Effective national defense policies often require that a new threat be met with a new response. Fort Hamilton entered service in 1831 to defend New York City against attack by wooden ships powered by sail. The fort’s seacoast batteries later . . . — Map (db m104517) HM
New York (Kings County), Brooklyn — 12-Pounder “Napoleons”, Model of 1857 (Reproductions)
Based upon a French design, the Model of 1857 “Napoleon” was a bronze gun capable of firing a 12 pound shot nearly one mile. Although few were produced prior to 1861, large numbers of the Napoleons were ultimately employed by both sides . . . — Map (db m104516) HM
New York (Kings County), Brooklyn — General Robert E. Lee
Then Captain, Corps of Engineers, U.S.A. resided on this site 1841-1846 Presented by New York Division United Daughters of the Confederacy — Map (db m104513) HM
New York (Kings County), Brooklyn — Giovanni da Verrazano
Florentine explorer 1490-1528 — Map (db m104519)
New York (New York County), Manhattan — Antonin Dvořák plaque and statue
Gift of the New York Philharmonic and the Dvořák American Heritage Association to the City of New York 1997. This bronze statue by Ivan Mestrovic (1883-1962) was commissioned by the Czechoslovak National Council of America and presented to . . . — Map (db m104413) HM
New York (New York County), Manhattan — Park Dreams, Stuyvesant ParkDiedre Murphy, Cycling — 2000 Olympics
"At the age of six, I started cycling in Stuyvesant Park. I couldn't have ever dreamed where cycling would later take me in life. At the late-for-competition age of 33, I started competing at local races in Central Park, challenging myself to do . . . — Map (db m104349) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Play Street - Little Italy
From the late 1940s to the 1980s, Mulberry Street from Prince to Houston streets in Little Italy often became a “play street” used by the neighborhood’s Italian American youth. Known as “Church Walk” due to the dominance of . . . — Map (db m104441) HM
New York (New York County), New York — The Anne Frank Tree
The Anne Frank Tree dedicated on June 12, 2017 by the Anne Frank Center for Mutual Respect with gratitude to the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey

This tree is a pure descendant of the chestnut tree, preserved over decades, . . . — Map (db m104536) HM

New York (New York County), New York — The Neighborhood - Little Italy
Most came from Southern Italy from 1900-1914. There were some 4 million. Many stayed here in Little Italy. And it became “The Neighborhood,” from Bleeker St. on the north to Cabal St. on the south, Lafayette St. on the west to the Bowery . . . — Map (db m104440) HM
New York (Oneida County), Rome — Jervis LibraryFounded by John Bloomfield Jervis — Born Huntington, N.Y. 1795 — Died Rome, N.Y. 1885
An eminent canal, railway and waterworks engineer, he began his career in connection with the Erie Canal construction at Rome in 1817. He was chief engineer for the completion of the Delaware and Hudson Canal, and for the original Croton Aqueduct . . . — Map (db m104656) HM
New York (Ontario County), Geneva — Sampson Naval Training Station Veterans

In honor of the men and women who served at the Sampson Naval Training Station, Route 96A, Sampson, New York during its operation from 1942 to 1946

Dedicated this 10th day of September 1988 by the Waterloo VFW Post #6433.

Anchor . . . — Map (db m104734) WM

New York (Ontario County), Geneva — Smith's Opera House

Geneva Historical Society Building of Architectural Merit

Historic Building Preservation Award 1995 Ontario County Historical Society — Map (db m104720) HM

New York (Ontario County), Geneva — The Steamer "Seneca"

The boat was built in 1883 by Alonzo and Benjamin Springstead. The Seneca was once the fastest ship on the lake. It plied the waters of Seneca Lake until 1908.

[Donors not transcribed]

The Mural Produced by the Finger Lakes . . . — Map (db m104719) HM

New York (Seneca County), Canoga — "A Very Pretty Indian Town of Ten Houses"

Site of "a very pretty Indian town of ten houses" Burned September 21, 1779 ———————— See page 76 "Journals of the Military Expedition of Major General John Sullivan," published by . . . — Map (db m104763) HM

New York (Seneca County), Canoga — Canoga Cemetery

This early burial ground once referred to as "Hause Point Cemetery", has recorded burials as early as 1805. Canoga Cemetery Association established in 1855 with 3 original acres. Received certificate of incorporation in 1905. Land added in . . . — Map (db m104754) HM

New York (Seneca County), Canoga — Canoga Creek

Site of the Indian village of Skannayutenate Red Jacket, the Indian orator was born here — Map (db m104761) HM

New York (Seneca County), Canoga — Gar-Non-De-Yo

Site of Indian village Gar-Non-De-Yo Destroyed during Sullivan Campaign Sept. 21, 1779 — Map (db m104762) HM

New York (Seneca County), Ovid — Whitney's Landing

Later known as Jacack's Landing, was a prominent landing shown in the Delafield map of 1852 — Map (db m104707) HM

New York (Seneca County), Seneca Falls — "Passage"

1776 Abigail Adams entreats her husband to "remember the ladies".

1777 Women lose the right to vote in New York.

1780 Women lose the right to vote in Massachusetts.

1784 Women lose the right to vote in New . . . — Map (db m104714) HM

New York (Seneca County), Waterloo — Celebrating 100 Years of High School Education in Waterloo1886 • 1986

This Memorial Arch of native limestone was formed by combining two portals from the 1901 addition to the original high school building upon demolition of the school in 1928. Herman F. Brehm moved them to his property west of the village where . . . — Map (db m104723) HM

New York (Seneca County), Waterloo — Civil War Memorial

In Honor Of The Boys In Blue Who Fought In The Civil War 1861 - 1865 Lest We Forget — Map (db m104753) WM

New York (Seneca County), Waterloo — Coach Tom Coughlin

This mural was created to honor Coach Tom Coughlin, coach of the NY Giants, who brought the team to a victory at the Super Bowl February 3, 2008 The people of Waterloo are proud to call Coach Coughlin a son of Waterloo. His . . . — Map (db m104716) HM

New York (Seneca County), Waterloo — General Murray ResidenceBuilt 1817

Gen. John B. Murray and Henry C. Welles founded Memorial Day at Waterloo, N.Y. May 5, 1866

Waterloo Memorial Day Centennial - 1966 — Map (db m104730) HM

New York (Seneca County), Waterloo — Korean Veterans Memorial25 June 1950 • 27 July 1953 — Freedom Is Not Free

[US Armed Services Emblems]

"Rose of Sharon" Symbol of the Korean War — Map (db m104751) WM

New York (Seneca County), Waterloo — War Memorial

Dedicated to the honor and sacrifice of our men and women who served our country in World Wars I & II

World War I Albert R. Aumick • Philip M. Baker Ralph Serven Betts • Leon William Brignall Charles E. Clarkson • Maynard A. . . . — Map (db m104731) HM


432 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 232
Paid Advertisement