Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

2635 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 2435
 
Adalbert Stifter and the Solar Eclipse Marker - Wide View image, Touch for more information
By Andrew Ruppenstein, June 15, 2017
Adalbert Stifter and the Solar Eclipse Marker - Wide View
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Adalbert Stifter and the Solar Eclipse
Von hier aus beobachtete Adalbert Stifter am 8. Juli 1842 die einzige im Wien der Neuzeit eingetretene totale Sonnenfinsternis Errichtet 1994 auf Initiative des Jugendclubs "Dingi-Vindemiatrix" . . . — Map (db m107154) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Antonio Salieri
An dieser Stelle stand das Wohn- und Sterbehaus des Komponisten und Hofkapellmeisters Antonio Salieri 1750 - 1825 [English translation:] At this location stood the house in which the . . . — Map (db m105039) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Belvedere Film Productions
In diesem Haus wurde 1946 Die Belvedere Filmproduktion von August Diglas Emmerich Hanus Elfi von Dassanowsky gegründet Dieses ersten Nachkriegs-Studio hat wesentliche Beitrage für den oesterreichischen Film . . . — Map (db m105157) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Café Frauenhuber
1788 gründete hier der Leibkoch der Kaiserin Maria Theresia, Franz Jahn ein Nobelrestaurant, eine sogenannte Traiteurie, wo berühmte Konzerte stattfanden. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart führte hier 1788 ein Pastorale von Händel, und . . . — Map (db m105053) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Charles de L'Ecluse (Clusius)
Hier wohnte von 1573 bis 1588 Charles de L'Ecluse, genannt Clusius aus Arras, der berühmteste Botaniker seiner Zeit. Errichtet 1865 von der k.k. zool. bot. Gesellschaft in Wien
Map (db m105667) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Conradin Kreutzer
In diesem Haus wohnte im Jahre 1840 Conradin Kreutzer (1780 - 1849) Komponist and Kapellmeister am Kärntnertor - Theater [English translation:] In this house in 1840 lived Conradin . . . — Map (db m105063) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Egon Cäsar Conte Corti
Der Historiker und Schriftsteller Egon Cäsar Conte Corti wohnte im diesem Haus von 1933 bis 1953. Gewidmet von Schutzverband der österreichischen Schriftsteller im Verbund der geistig schaffenden . . . — Map (db m105470) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Emile Jacques-Dalcroze1865 - 1950
Komponist, Pianist, Pädagoge und Begründer der Rhythmik Er wurde im diesen Haus geboren und lebte hier bis 1875. Seine Methode beruht auf der Erziehung zur Musik und durch Musik. Rhythmik vereint Musik und Bewegung und ist in . . . — Map (db m105081) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Ferenc Rákóczi
[Marker text in Hungarian:] Ennek az épületnek á helyén allt a XVII. század végén az Aspremont-palota. Ilt szállt meg gyakori bécsi tartózkudásai idején az 1690-es években II. Rákóczi Ferenc, az . . . — Map (db m105870) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Franz Schubert
Wohnte 1822-23 in diesem Haus bei seinem Freunde Franz v. Schober u. schuf hier u.a. die H-Moll Sinfonie Lived in this house, 1822-23, with his friend Franz von Schober, and wrote here, amongst others, the B . . . — Map (db m105043) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Franz Schubert
In diesem Haus des einstigen k.k. Stadtkonviktes besuchte Franz Schubert von 1808 - 1813 das akademische Gymnasium als Pensionär & Hofsängerknabe Gestiftet v. Wiener Männer Gesang Verein . . . — Map (db m105110) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Franz Schubert
War von 1808 bis 1813 Schüler des akademischen Gymnasium, damals Bäckerstrasse 20. Österreichische Gesellschaft für Musik Bundesministerium für Unterricht und Kunst [English translation:] Was from . . . — Map (db m105119) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Frederic Chopin1810 - 1849
Wohnte von November 1830 bis Juli 1831 im 4. Stock des Hauses Kohlmarkt 9 das bis 1900 an dieser Stelle stand [English translation:] Lived from November 1830 to July 1831 on the fourth floor of the . . . — Map (db m104978) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Gottlieb Muffat
In einem Vorgängerbau dieses Hauses, dem sogenannten Eineder - oder Muffathaus, Lebten im 18. Jahrhundert mehrere Mitglieder der Musikerfamilie Muffat. Der Komponist und Kaiserliche Hof- und Kammerorganist Gottlieb . . . — Map (db m105034) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Greta Keller
In diesem Hause lebte viele Jahre Greta Keller 1903 - 1977 Chansonsängerin Schallplattenstar Gewidmet von Österreichische Lotterien 1999 [Lyrical text, above the main body:] Map (db m104981) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Hans Christian Andersen2. April 1805 in Odense / † 4. August 1875 in Kopenhagen
An dieser Stelle stand bis zum Ende des 19. Jahrhunderts das Haus Bognergasse 315 Vom 09. Juni 1834 bis 09. Juli 1834 wohnte der dänische Märchendichter Hans Christian Andersen im zweiten Stock dieses Hauses. . . . — Map (db m105142) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Josef Sonnleithner
In dem bis 1874 an dieser Stelle gestandenen Arkadenhaus lebte und starb Josef Sonnleithner (1766 - 1835), der 1812 die Gesellschaft der Musikfreunde in Wien gegründet hat. Gewidmet von der . . . — Map (db m105080) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Kurt Gödel
Der grosse Mathematiker und Logiker Kurt Gödel 1906 - 1978 hatte hier seinen letzen Wohnsitz vom 9.11.1939 bid zum 10.1.1940 bevor er Wien für immer verliess [English . . . — Map (db m105294) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Leoš Janáček
Der grosse tschechische Komponist Leoš Janáček wohnte hier anlässlich der Wiener Erstaufführung seiner Oper Jenufa an der k.k.Hofoper am 16.2.1918 [English translation:] The . . . — Map (db m104999) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Mark Twain
In diesem Gebäude wohnte von Oktober 1898 bis Mai 1899 der grosse amerikanische Schriftsteller Samuel Longhorne Clemens (1835-1910) bekannt als Mark Twain [English translation:] In . . . — Map (db m105488) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Mozart Lived Here
In diesem Haus wohnte MOZART im Jahre 1781 und componierte hier seine "Entführung aus dem Serail". [English translation:] In 1781 Mozart lived in this house and composed his The Abduction from . . . — Map (db m104867) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Mozart Lived Here
. . . — Map (db m104974) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — O5
O5 war das Geheimsymbol des Oesterr. Widerstands gegen das nationalsozialistische Schreckensregime 1938-1945 Diese Mahntafel wurde zum andenken an die ermordeten Widerstandskaempfer der oest. Widerstandsbewegung Unter Praes. . . . — Map (db m105417) WM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Pope Innocent XII (Antonio Pignatelli)
An dieser Stelle befand sich von 1630 bis 1913 die apostolische Nuntiatur. Hier wirkte von 1668 bis 1671 Antonio Pignatelli, der spätere Papst Innozenz XII. (1691-1700). Zur Erinnerung an seinen Todestag vor 300 . . . — Map (db m105701) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Roman Ruins
Im Jahre 1901 wurde beim Bau des Hauses an dieser Stelle ein Stück der Umfassungsmauer des römischen Lagers ausgegraben [English translation:] In 1901 during the construction of the house at this . . . — Map (db m105329) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — St. Michael's Church Women's World War I Memorial
Ehre und Dank den Frauen Österreichs für ihr heldenhaftes Wirkungen im Weltkriege 1914 - 1918 [English translation:] Honor and gratitude to the Women of Austria for their heroic efforts in the . . . — Map (db m105281) WM
Austria, Wien (Landstrasse), Vienna — Gustav Mahler1860 - 1911
Am 3. Juni 1945 wurde die Kunst des groszen Musikers dem österreichischen Kulturleben wiedergegeben. [English translation:] On June 3, 1945 the art of this great musician was again made part of . . . — Map (db m105088) HM
Austria, Wien (Landstrasse), Vienna — Leonard Bernstein
In diesem Hause trat der grosse Dirigent, Komponist und Pianist am 28. Mai 1948 zum ersten mal in Wien auf. [English translation:] In this concert hall on May 28, 1948, the great director, composer . . . — Map (db m105008) HM
Belize, Belize (Belize Rural Central), La Democracia — Ceiba Tree
Ceiba Tree Ceiba pentandra “Cotton Tree” This Ceiba tree was planted in 1991 The Ceiba tree was the Sacred Tree of the Ancient Maya Cotton-like fiber surrounds the seeds of the Ceiba Tree. These fibers are 8 times lighter than . . . — Map (db m104988) HM
Belize, Belize (Belize Rural Central), Ladyville — The Belize Defence Force Fallen
In memory of the members of The Belize Defence Force who died whilst in service “They will be remembered” Names of the fallen soldiers They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old: Age shall not weary them, nor . . . — Map (db m104926) HM
Belize, Belize (Belize Rural North), Rock Stone Pond — The Tomb of the Jade Head at Altun Ha
Tomb at Altun HaDiscovered deep within the huge stair block at the top of the Temple of Masonry Altars (Temple B4) of Altun Ha, was the tomb of an elderly priest along with the largest carved jade artifact ever recovered in the . . . — Map (db m104960) HM
Belize, Corozal, Corozal Town — 6 of 7 — Corozal Town Central ParkCorozal Town Historical Walk
Corozal Town Central ParkThe Central Plaza of Corozal Town has been used for various activities and events since the town was founded in 1849. Social, cultural, sporting events and even a brief occupation in 1870 by Marcus Canul, General of the . . . — Map (db m105064) HM
Belize, Corozal, Corozal Town — 5 of 7 — Corozal Town HallCorozal Town Historical Walk
Corozal Town HallIn 1952 the Corozal Town Hall was constructed. It was financed by the Baron Bliss Trust Fund. The large concrete building dominated the physical landscape with only two other concrete structures, the Catholic Church and the . . . — Map (db m105070) HM
Belize, Corozal, Corozal Town — Felipe Santiago Ricalde
. . . — Map (db m105057) HM
Belize, Corozal, Corozal Town — 7 of 7 — Fort BarleeCorozal Town Historical Walk
Fort Barlee Fort Barlee was constructed in Corozal Town by Lieutenant Governor Frederick Palgrave Barlee (pictured here) in the late 1870's. The fort was built to protect British interests and Yucatecan settlers in Corozal during the latter . . . — Map (db m105062) HM
Belize, Corozal, Corozal Town — 2 of 7 — Her Majesty's Prison
Her Majesty’s PrisonThe mid to late 1800's was unquestionably a period of unrest and instability along the Rio Hondo and Corozal Town. A substantial migration of Yucatecos fleeing the Caste Wars in Mexico led to an increase in population and . . . — Map (db m105069) HM
Belize, Corozal, Corozal Town — 1 of 7 — House of Culture/Public MarketCorozal Town Historical Walk
House of Culture/Public MarketArriving from England by ship in 1885, the cast iron frame of an intended market was assembled and a building was constructed along the shoreline close to the public pier. Inaugurated in 1886, the Corozal Town . . . — Map (db m105090) HM
Belize, Corozal, Corozal Town — 4 of 7 — Parish Office/Priest’s Residence/Xavier CollegeCorozal Town Historical Walk
Parish Office/Priest’s Residence/Xavier College The priest's residence or "El Convento" was constructed in early the 1890's. Its construction is attributed to Father Gillett who was one of the English Jesuit priests who came to Belize in the . . . — Map (db m105066) HM
Belize, Corozal, Corozal Town — 3 of 7 — Schofield ResidenceCorozal Town Historical Walk
Schofield ResidenceThe Schofield residence was constructed in the early 1880's when mature mahogany was still thriving in the forests of northern Belize which ensured its longevity into the 21st century. It has survived many hurricanes . . . — Map (db m105068) HM
Belize, Orange Walk, Indian Church — Royal Complex at Lamanai
Royal Complex N10-17 to 29The “Royal Complex” comprises structures N10-17 through N10-29 which can be dated from the Middle Late Classic (700-800 CE) through the Late Postclassic Period (1000-1100 CE). Excavation of . . . — Map (db m105101) HM
Belize, Orange Walk, Indian Church — Stela 9 at Lamanai
Stela 9This monument was erected at the end of the Middle Classic Period (600-800 CE). Stela 9 depicts Lord “Smoking Shell” holding a double headed ceremonial bar diagonally across his chest. The headdress depicted on this . . . — Map (db m105099) HM
Belize, Orange Walk, Indian Church — The High Temple at Lamanai
High Temple N10-43The Structure N10-43, 33 meters in height, is the tallest structure at the site of Lamanai and is also one of the largest Preclassic structure in the Maya area. The initial phase of construction for structure N10-43 began in . . . — Map (db m105098) HM
Belize, Toledo, Punta Gorda — Lila ‘Leela' Genus Vernon
Queen of Brokdong Lila ‘Leela' Genus Vernon (1950-) Born on October 21, 1950 • Referred to as the ‘Queen of Brokdong’, Lila Genus Vernon was born in Punta Gorda Town to a family of proud African heritage. • Her music and activism throughout . . . — Map (db m104977) HM
Belize, Toledo, Punta Gorda — The Rt. Hon. George Cadle Price
Dedicated to: The Rt. Hon. George Cadle Price Prime Minister of Belize, the Father of the Belizean Nation, who struggled to attain the independence of Belize, 1950-1981 Through the efforts of the people of Punta Gorda and The Hon. Michael . . . — Map (db m105026) HM
Belize, Toledo, San Pedro Columbia — Ball Court
Ball Court Structures 21 & 22 This ballcourt was built between 800-900 A.D. Four figurines and three metates (grinding stones) were found here. Amongst the construction fill material lay broken bits of stucco painted red and purplish-black. . . . — Map (db m105009) HM
Bermuda, St George’s, St. George’s — First Government House
The back garden of the First Government House was on this site. In 1700, Samuel Day, governor, erected this building. For more than a century, it was in possession of the Tucker Family. During the American Civil War it was occupied by the agent of . . . — Map (db m106350) HM
Bermuda, St George’s, St. George’s — Midshipman Richard Sutherland Dale
In this building then known as Stennett’s Hotel died on February 22, 1815 in his twenty-first year, Midshipman Richard Sutherland Dale, of the American frigate, President, severely wounded when that vessel, commanded by Commodore S. Decatur, . . . — Map (db m106348) HM
Bermuda, St George’s, St. George’s — Settlement of Bermuda
1609   -   1909 In commemoration of the settlement of these islands on the 28th of July 1609 and in honor of Admiral Sir George Somers Kt. at whose instance largely the settlement was effected. This memorial has been erected out of a grant made by . . . — Map (db m106353) HM
Bermuda, St George’s, St. George’s — Thomas Moore
1779 – 1858 Irish Poet and Lyrist Byron’s Friend That little bay, where winding in from ocean’s rude and angry din. The billows missed the shore, and then flow calmly to the deep again. — Map (db m106355) HM
Bermuda, St George’s (St George’s), St. George’s — John Till(1781 – 1829)
To the Glory of God in respectful memory of John Till (1781 – 1829) Senior Warden of this church 1810 to 1825 and Mayor of the Town of St. George 1819 to 1823. He is remembered especially by the townspeople for installing the clock in the . . . — Map (db m106359) HM
Manitoba, Saint Boniface — The Five Saint Boniface Cathedrals
1818-1825 First ChapelWhen the first two Catholic missionaries arrived at the Red River settlement, much work awaited them. Father Provencher constructed a modest log structure to serve as rectory, church and boys' school. 1825-1839 Second . . . — Map (db m106491) HM
Manitoba, Winnipeg — Canadian Northern Railway Freight Lift Bridge, East YardLe pont levant pour marchandises du Chemin de Fer Canadien du Nord, triage de l'est
This bridge was designed not only for heavy freight cars to travel over the Assiniboine River but also for steamships to travel under it. The center span of the bridge lifts and is known as a bascule bridge (from the French word for "see-saw"). . . . — Map (db m106490) HM
Manitoba, Winnipeg — Forks of the Red and AssiniboineFourche de la Rouge et de L'Assiniboine
Strategically located at the junction of two major rivers which form part of a vast continental network, this spot has witnessed many of the key events of Western Canadian history. This was a traditional native stopping place and for this reason La . . . — Map (db m106447) HM
Manitoba, Winnipeg — The Creation of ManitobaLa Création du Manitoba
Angered that they had not been consulted about the transfer of the Hudson's Bay Company territories to Canada, the inhabitants of the Red River Settlement, led by Louis Riel, in 1869 proclaimed a Provisional Government which took control of the . . . — Map (db m106489) HM
Manitoba, Winnipeg — The Path of Time
"The Path of Time" celebrates the procession of history at The Forks that continues to the present. The tools used to shape the Prairies - stone axes, scythes, locomotives, steam tractors, computers - are reflected, each in turn, on the . . . — Map (db m106418) HM
New Brunswick (Albert County), Hillsborough — Combat of the/du Petitcodiac

Near this town on 3rd September 1755, a detachment of Major Frye's troops, sent from Fort Cumberland to destroy Acadian settlements on the river and compel the people to surrender for deportation, was defeated by a French force under Charles . . . — Map (db m106630) HM

New Brunswick (Albert County), Hopewell Cape — the ebb and flow of Fundy / flux et reflux des eaux de Fundy

Imagine 100 billion tons of water moving in and out of a bay twice every 25 hours. Powered by the gravitational pull of the moon and the sun, Fundy's tides are among the highest in the world and vary daily with the changing positions of . . . — Map (db m106860) HM

New Brunswick (Albert County), Hopewell Cape — the Flowerpots / les pots de Fleurs

Although the flowerpot rocks come in a variety of different shapes and sizes, they have all been formed over millions of years by the dynamic movements of the earth and erosion from glaciers, tides, snow, ice and winds.

The story of the . . . — Map (db m106812) HM

New Brunswick (Albert County), Hopewell Cape — 18th Century Anchor

This 18th century anchor retrieved from the Petitcodiac River at Hopewell Cape in 1981 by Jack Weldon

Donated to the Albert County Historical Society by his wife Grace and sons James, Thomas and Dale

This plaque was . . . — Map (db m106638) HM

New Brunswick (Albert County), Hopewell Cape — Albert County Court HouseLa palaise de justice du comté d'Albert

Designed by local architect Watson Reid, this magnificent Court House was built in 1904 partially on the same foundation as the original that was lost to fire earlier. The County Council reluctantly agreed to pay the whopping $4,495 price . . . — Map (db m106750) HM

New Brunswick (Albert County), Hopewell Cape — Albert County Museum / Musée du comté d'Albert

This small rectangle of land was part of a 738 acre tract originally granted to Robert Dickson Esq. and Jesse Converse on 8 May 1789. The original land grant encompassed all of present day Hopewell Cape. Later, after being acquired by the . . . — Map (db m106770) HM

New Brunswick (Albert County), Hopewell Cape — County Gaol / La prison du comté

An original Shiretown building, the bottom floor of the Gaol was built with three cells and a gaol keeper's apartment. The second story was added around 1902 to provide better accommodations for the gaol keeper's family.

Ŕ l'origine . . . — Map (db m106769) HM

New Brunswick (Albert County), Hopewell Cape — County Records Office / Le bureau des archives du comté

An original Shiretown building where all real estate and some other legal transactions were recorded. The records also include County births, marriages and livestock identifiers.

Ŕ l'origine un édifice du chef-lieu du comté, les . . . — Map (db m106646) HM

New Brunswick (Albert County), Hopewell Cape — County Tax Office / La perception du comté
An original Shiretown building where County citizens made their remittances. The pressed tin interior is a Victorian era addition that contributes to the building's pleasant ambiance.

Ŕ l'origine un édifice du chef-lieu du comté, les . . . — Map (db m106705) HM

New Brunswick (Albert County), Hopewell Cape — Hopewell Cape Community HallLa salle communautaire de Hopewell Cape

As Hopewell Cape grew as the centre of County activity, the need for a Community Hall became apparent. This hall was built around 1870 to satisfy that need. Extensive refurbishment has returned it to a fully functioning centre of . . . — Map (db m106749) HM

New Brunswick (Albert County), Hopewell Cape — Right Honourable Richard Bedford BennettPrime Minister of Canada — August 7, 1930 - October 22, 1935

Viscount of Mickelham, Calgary and Hopewell

[Burgundy marker on monument] Rt. Hon. Richard Bedford Bennett 1870-1947

Born at Hopewell Hill, New Brunswick, Bennett moved to Calgary in 1897. A member of the legislature of the . . . — Map (db m106707) HM

New Brunswick (Albert County), Hopewell Cape — Silver Jubilee Lodge and LibraryLa loge et la bibliotčque "Silver Jubilee"

Built in the early 1900's, this building was converted into the Silver Jubilee Lodge and Library for the Hopewell Cape Boys Club. It later served as a branch of the local regional library system. It has been restored to its 1935 . . . — Map (db m106641) HM

New Brunswick (Albert County), Hopewell Cape — WWI 10cm K 14 German Field Gun1914 - 1919
. . . — Map (db m106632) HM
New Brunswick (Albert County), Riverside-Albert — Abner Reid McClelanJan. 4, 1830 - Jan. 30, 1917 — M.P.P. 1854-1867 • Senator 1867-1896 • Lieut. Governor 1896-1902

A. R. McClelan was born in Riverside. At age twenty-three he entered politics and was elected to represent Albert County in the New Brunswick House of Assembly. He was a keen supporter of Confederation, and after Confederation in 1867 he became . . . — Map (db m106867) HM

New Brunswick (Albert County), Riverside-Albert — Early Irish Families to Albert CountyAs Éirinn go dtí an áit seo

Alcorn • Bailey • Barber • Barrett Bartley • Beatty • Beck • Bell Berryman • Balkeney • Bogle • Boyle Breen • Buchanan • Cahill • Cairns Campbell • Carnwath • Carr • Carty Clark • Cochran • Collins • Connors Crossman • Curry • . . . — Map (db m106862) HM

New Brunswick (Albert County), Riverside-Albert — War MemorialLest We Forget — "Their Name Liveth Forever More"

[front] In grateful remembrance of all those who served in past conflicts In memory of those who gave all

Boer War 1899-1902 • W.W.I 1914-1918 W.W.II 1939-1945 • Korean 1950-1953

At the going down of the sun and in the . . . — Map (db m106865) WM

New Brunswick (Charlotte County), St. Stephen — A whale of a tale / Historie de cétacé

In the waters off New Brunswick you'll find magnificent creatures of the deep - among them, North Atlantic right whales, humpback whales and finback whales

In New Brunswick, we're proud to live along the beautiful shores of the Bay of . . . — Map (db m106917) HM

New Brunswick (Cumberland County), Amherst — Dominion Public Building1935 — Registered Heritage Property

[title is text] — Map (db m107024) HM

New Brunswick (Cumberland County), Fort Lawrence — Beaubassin

[Face] The Acadian village of Beaubassin on this site was founded by settlers from Port Royal around 1672. Upon the arrival of Major Charles Lawrence with British troops in April 1750, the French authorities had the village destroyed in . . . — Map (db m106953) HM

New Brunswick (Cumberland County), Fort Lawrence — Trans Canada Highway

Formal opening of the Nova Scotia portion of the Trans Canada Highway from the New Brunswick border to terminals at Caribou and North Sydney, a distance of 279 miles, took place November 22, 1968, at this point; having been constructed as a . . . — Map (db m106956) HM

New Brunswick (Kings County), Sussex — Dominion Building1883 — Sussex Preservation Area Heritage Property

[Title is text] — Map (db m106869) HM

New Brunswick (Kings County), Sussex — Site of One of the First Irving Service Stations

On this site in 1930, K. C. Irving built one of the first Irving service stations. We are proud to donate this land to assist in the development of Peace Park, built for the enjoyment of the citizens of Sussex and their visitors.

Thank you . . . — Map (db m106903) HM

New Brunswick (Kings County), Sussex — War Memorial

In memory of those who gave their lives for freedom and Canada

[Dedicated] 2nd August 1970 — Map (db m106906) WM

New Brunswick (Kings County), Sussex — War Memorial

1914 ~ 1918 [Honored Dead]

John Andrews • John Bloomfield • Allen Bremner Leonard Bunnell • George Bunnell • Harry Carr George Calhoun • Frederick W. Crawford • George Chapman Guy Chapman • Thomas DeCoursey • John Dawson . . . — Map (db m106908) WM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Middle Sackville — Methodist Chapel 1790

The first Methodist chapel in the Sackville area was dedicated in July 1790 by the Rev James Mann. It[']s first trustees were

John Fawcett • William Fawcett John Fawcett Jr • Andrew Wheldon Robert Atkinson

The stone . . . — Map (db m106339) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Middle Sackville — Yorkshire 2000
. . . — Map (db m106381) HM
New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Moncton — Armenian Genocide Centennial Memorial1915 - 2015 — April 24, 1915

In memory of the 1.5 million martyrs of the Armenian Genocide and all victims of genocide

A la mémoire de 1,5 millions de martyrs du génocide arménien et de toutes les victimes de génocide — Map (db m106601) HM WM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Moncton — First Settlers / Premiers Colons

This part of "Le Coude" (The Bend) was in earlier times called Terre-Rouge. Three families from the Grand-Prée region first settled here:

Jean Babineau & Isabelle Breau, circa 1733, followed by Joseph Breau & Isabelle Thibodeau and . . . — Map (db m106603) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Moncton — Joseph Salter Moncton 100 Monument

The Moncton 100 Monument honours Joseph Salter, shipbuilder, entrepreneur and first mayor of the Township of Moncton in 1855.

Local entrepreneurs, whose names are inscribed on this monument, undertook funding of the project as their gift to . . . — Map (db m106613) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — 1919 Booster Pump

A pump-house was constructed on this site in the fall of 1919 to house a large water pump driven by a 40HP electric motor. The pump was installed to boost the water pressure in the Town’s hydrants during times when water was required for fire . . . — Map (db m106382) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — 8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise's) Ferret Armored Car
. . . — Map (db m106554) WM
New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — Anglican Church Rectory1880

The rectory was constructed in the Queen Anne Revival style in 1880 on land given by J.F. Allison and Mary Allison Botsford. The design was prepared by R. C. Boxall and constructed by Mr. J. Teed of Dorchester. Great pains were taken with the . . . — Map (db m106390) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — Battle of NormandyD Day June 6th, 1944 — Juno Beach

A vial of sand taken from Juno Beach has been poured into the header of this memorial to honor the 14,000 Canadians who took part in the Battle of Normandy — Map (db m106592) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — Copp Block1897

The Copp Block was built for A.B. Copp, lawyer, politician, Secretary of State and Senator. The ground floor has served as a law office ever since construction and Senator Copp maintained an office here from 1897 until his death in December of . . . — Map (db m106472) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — Dr. Copp's House1880 [sic - 1895]

In the early 1900's, this was the home and office of Dr. E.M. Copp, a medical doctor. His career began as a general practice and he delivered many a baby. After a residency in New York [C]ity, he became an eye, ear, nose and throat specialist. — Map (db m106526) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — George F. G. Stanley

Erected by the Town of Sackville to commemorate the designer of the Canadian flag George F. G. Stanley C.C., C.D., K.StJ., D.Phil., LL.D. Former Lieutenant-Governor of New Brunswick, Professor, Historian, Second World War . . . — Map (db m106430) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — Harold GeddesIn Memoriam

Harold Geddes was a local landmark. Small in stature, he stood tall in this community.

Orphaned in the Halifax Explosion of 1917, he was adopted by Charles and Alice Geddes of Sackville.

On retirement from his job as a custodian at . . . — Map (db m106479) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — HMCS/NCSM Sackville

This garden is named in honour of HMCS Sackville, a corvette that had a distinguished career during the Second World War. She was launched on May 15, 1941 in Saint John, New Brunswick and was christened by Mrs. J.E.W. Oland in the . . . — Map (db m106595) HM WM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — Marshlands Inn1850

Built by the Hon. William Crane, an early Sackville merchant, landowner, politician and partner of Charles Frederick Allison. The home was a wedding present for his daughter Ruth and Edward Cogswell and was known as Cogswell House. In 1895, it . . . — Map (db m106525) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — Miller Block1913

Harris Miller had this two storey building constructed in 1913. It began as three store fronts with four apartments on the second floor.

Over time Harris Miller, Henry Berman, Arthur Sharpe and the Estabrooks brothers operated clothing and . . . — Map (db m106426) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church1905

Presbyterians worshipped in Middle Sackville from the 1840's and built a church there in 1871 which was used until the turn of the century when they began to meet in Sackville. The present structure was built as a two-storey hall and dedicated . . . — Map (db m106527) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — St. Paul's Anglican Church1856

The construction of St. Paul's began in 1856, based on a model brought by the Rt. Rev. John Medley, First Bishop of Fredericton. Bishop Medley's interest in Gothic Revival architecture, recreating a medieval stone building in New Brunswick . . . — Map (db m106421) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — The Ford Block1894

This building stands on land originally part of the Bowser Farm property purchased from Daniel Hawkins in 1777. In 1894 local merchant George E. Ford acquired a five acre lot, on which he constructed this block as a department store in three . . . — Map (db m106470) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — The Henderson Block1900

Built by Henry Fawcett and A.B. Copp in 1900, this block was the home of the Sackville Book Store, owned by W.R. Goodwin until 1906, and then also a drugstore operated by W.R. Rodd, a druggist and optician.

For a time, it was known as the . . . — Map (db m106473) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — The Royal Canadian Air Force — Lest we forget / Nous nous souviendrons

The Royal Canadian Air Force has stood on guard for Canada since 1924. Over three hundred and twenty five Sackville area residents and students of Mount Allison University have served in the R.C.A.F. both here and abroad from the First World . . . — Map (db m106550) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — The Wood Block / L'Edifice Wood1914 — New/Nouveau Brunswick Provincial Historic Site / Lieu historique provincial

Constructed of local stone, this Romanesque Revival building is closely associated with Josiah Wood, a prominent Westmoreland County businessman and politician. The upper-level theatre is a unique design feature.

Cet édifice en pierre . . . — Map (db m106521) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — Town Hall1924

Once the Amasa Killam property, granted in 1765, this site has contained a number of commercial stores including the Crane-Allison store. The intersection has long been called Crane's Corner. Other stores operating at this site were Smith & . . . — Map (db m106476) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — War Memorial

Their Name Liveth Forevermore

1914 - 1918 Roland Beal • Frank Milner • Arthur Bourque George Bickerton • Ralph Crossman • Alpheus Crossman Stanley Crawford • Arthur DeVarenne • Henry Dixon Virgile Gaudet • Winfred Hicks • Walter . . . — Map (db m106556) WM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Amherst — Edward Barron Chandler1800 - 1880

Born in Amherst, Chandler was called to the New Brunswick bar in 1823. He represented Westmorland in the legislature (1827-36), was a Legislative Councillor (1836-78) and a member of the Executive Council almost continuously between 1844 and . . . — Map (db m107018) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Amherst — Former Site of Amherst Post Office1935 - 1976

[Title is text] — Map (db m107022) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Amherst — Robert Barry Dickey1811 - 1903

Born in Amherst, educated at Windsor Academy, and called to the bar in 1834, Dickey practiced law in Amherst and sat in the Legislative Council of Nova Scotia (1858-67). A Father of Confederation, he attended both the Charlottetown and Quebec . . . — Map (db m107017) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Fort Lawrence — Beaubassin 1672-1750

This area was the site of the Acadian village of Beaubassin, first known Bourgeois settlement. Raided in 1696 and again in 1703 by a force from Boston under Captain Ben Church. Occupied by French troops in 1746 who travelled on snowshoes in . . . — Map (db m106951) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Fort Lawrence — Un hommage ŕ/A Tribute to Jacob (Jacques) Bourgeois

Fondateur, vers 1672, de Beaubassin premier établissement dans la région de la rivičre Missagoučche et initiateur de l'agriculture maraîchčre en Acadie

Jacob Bourgeois arriva ŕ Port-Royal en 1641 ŕ titre de chirurgien pour la colonie . . . — Map (db m107012) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — Ballard [sic - Bollard]

This Ballard [sic - Bollard]

was located on a wharf in Yarmouth in the early 1900's. It's purpose was to tie ships to the wharf. It weighs 450 pounds.

Donated by Mr. Danny MacIsaac — Map (db m107255) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — Bell
. . . — Map (db m107256) HM
Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — Cape Forchu's Guiding Light

An enduring symbol of Yarmouth's historic and economic ties to the sea, a lighthouse has towered over the rocky headlands of Cape Forchu since 1839, guiding mariners to the safety of Yarmouth Harbour. The current lighthouse was automated in . . . — Map (db m107293) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — In Dire Need of a Lighthouse

The Town of Yarmouth, and its surrounding area, was settled in 1761 by Planters from Massachusetts. These settlers fished along the coast and harvested lumber from the forests to build homes, businesses and sailing vessels. By the . . . — Map (db m107298) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — The Power of the Sea

Watching the waves crashing around Cape Forchu provides a small glimpse of the awesome and terrifying power of the sea. It continually shapes the lives of those who live and work by it. A source of beauty, bounty and economic prosperity, the . . . — Map (db m107284) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — Early SettlementA Diverse Background

With its sheltered harbour and abundant habitat for a natural food supply, the Yarmouth area was frequented by the native Mi'kmaq before the arrival of European visitors. The area was visited in 1604 by the French explorer Samuel D. . . . — Map (db m106161) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — Milton ClockA Symbol of Community Pride & Confidence

Erected in 1911 at a cost of $1,200.00, the original Milton Clock was donated by Mrs. Robert Caie. The mechanical works of the clock were manufactured by J. Smith and Sons, Midland Clock Works, Derby, England. Located in the tower at the . . . — Map (db m106141) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — Political LifeA Colourful Past

During its early development Yarmouth was a part of Queens County and reported to the administrative seat in Liverpool. After 1784 Shelburne became the county town for Yarmouth. More local control was achieved with the formation of Yarmouth . . . — Map (db m106165) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — Rum RunningRum, Risk, and Riches!

The passage of the National Prohibition Act on January 16, 1920 signalled the prohibition of alcohol for general consumption in the United States and provided an opportunity for enterprising Yarmouth businessmen and seamen. Yarmouth-based . . . — Map (db m106221) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — ShipbuildingBuilding a Connection to the World

The first vessel known to have been built in Yarmouth was launched by John Sollows at Fish Point in 1764. Over the years, many ships were built in nearby communities such as Argyle, Tusket, Plymouth, Salmon River, Meteghan, and Belliveau's . . . — Map (db m106216) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — Shipbuilding in Nova Scotia / Construction navale en Nouvelle-Écosse

From its early beginnings on Cape Breton Island the shipbuilding industry grew as settlement did in the late 18th century. During the Golden Age of Sail in the 19th century, thousands of wooden vessels of all sizes were built in bays and . . . — Map (db m106067) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — The FisheryA Community Mainstay

A cornerstone of Yarmouth's economy from its first settlement, fishing continues to the present day to be an important aspect of life in the community. Yarmouth fishermen have always pursued a diversity of species: lobsters, scallops, cod, . . . — Map (db m106323) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth Bar — Seafaring Sons of Yarmouth County

On this, the site of the first launching in the county, 1764, this monument is erected in proud memory of all the seafaring sons of Yarmouth County who, "going down to the sea in ships," by their outstanding seamanship and . . . — Map (db m107252) HM

Ontario (Algoma District), Bruce Mines — The Bruce Mines
The original claim to the Bruce Mine location was filed in September, 1846 by James Cuthbertson. It was acquired the following year by the Montreal Mining Company, and production commenced in 1847-48 at what became the first commercially successful . . . — Map (db m105635) HM
Ontario (Algoma District), Desbarats — "Ripple Rock"
The ripple marks on the adjacent rock face were made some two billion years ago by waves in a shallow body of water. Buried by later deposition of silt and then subjected to great pressure, the rippled sand became sandstone. The formation was . . . — Map (db m105638) HM
Ontario (Algoma District), Sault Ste. Marie — Anna Jameson1794-1860
Born in Dublin, Ireland, and raised in London, this famous 19th century author, illustrator and social reformer joined her husband, Robert Jameson, Attorney General of Upper Canada, at Toronto in 1836. The following June, unescorted, Mrs. Jameson . . . — Map (db m105960) HM
Ontario (Algoma District), Sault Ste. Marie — Col. John Prince1796-1870
Here, on a portion of his former estate, is buried Col. Prince who emigrated from England in 1833 and settled at Sandwich, Upper Canada. As commanding officer of the Essex Militia, he stirred up a violent controversy by ordering the summary . . . — Map (db m105739) HM
Ontario (Algoma District), Sault Ste. Marie — Dr. Roberta Bondar
Dedicated at the official opening of Roberta Bondar Park In honour of our hero, Dr. Roberta Lynn Bondar, O.C., O.ONT., M.D., PH.D., F.R.C.P.(C), neurologist, biologist, pilot and researcher. Canada's first female astronaut was a crew member on the . . . — Map (db m106415) HM
Ontario (Algoma District), Sault Ste. Marie — Ermatinger HouseLa Maison Ermatinger
This house, built between 1814 and 1823 by Charles Ermatinger of the North West Company, is the oldest surviving house in northwestern Ontario. Constructed when Sault Ste. Marie was still a small fur trading post on the Upper Lakes, this fine house . . . — Map (db m105955) HM
Ontario (Algoma District), Sault Ste. Marie — Francis Hector Clergue(1856-1939)
A Maine-born promoter, Clergue transformed Sault Ste. Marie into a major industrial centre. He purchased an unfinished hydroelectric station and canal at the Sault in 1894; then, lacking markets for his electric power, he created his own . . . — Map (db m106374) HM
Ontario (Algoma District), Sault Ste. Marie — Nicolas Perrotca. 1644-1717
Explorer, interpreter, fur trader and diplomat, French-born Perrot played an important role in the establishment and protection of New France's western frontier during the last four decades of the 17th century. In 1671 he was with Saint-Lusson at . . . — Map (db m105957) HM
Ontario (Algoma District), Sault Ste. Marie — Passenger and Packet Freighters on the Upper Great Lakes
Until the mid-20th century, passenger and packet freighters were the most efficient means for transporting goods and people to and from isolated communities of the Upper Great Lakes. Essential to early regional development and instrumental in the . . . — Map (db m105959) HM
Ontario (Algoma District), Sault Ste. Marie — Precious Blood Cathedral
This church was constructed in 1875 and dedicated in 1876 as the Parish Church of The Sacred Heart by Bishop Jean-Francois Jamot. It replaced a wooden building constructed in 1846 which had served as a Jesuit missionary post for this region. Built . . . — Map (db m105953) HM
Ontario (Algoma District), Sault Ste. Marie — Sault Ste. Marie Ship CanalCanal de Sault Ste. Marie
Completed in 1895, this canal formed the last link in an all-Canadian navigation system stretching from the St. Lawrence River to Lake Superior. Designed and built by Canadians, the canal incorporated several engineering innovations. It was the . . . — Map (db m106185) HM
Ontario (Algoma District), Sault Ste. Marie — Shingwauk Hall
Shingwauk Hall was erected in 1935 to house a residential training school established in 1873 by the Reverend Edward F. Wilson. Under this Anglican missionary's tutelage the institution, named after the well-known Ojibway Chief Augustin Shingwauk . . . — Map (db m105738) HM
Ontario (Algoma District), Sault Ste. Marie — The "Chicora" Incident1870
In May, 1870, Col. Garnet Wolseley arrived here with an expeditionary force of British regulars and Canadian militia aboard the steamer "Chicora". They were travelling to Fort Garry on the Red River to put down an uprising led by Louis Riel. The . . . — Map (db m106362) HM
Ontario (Algoma District), Sault Ste. Marie — The First Sault Ste. Marie CanalLe Premier Canal de Sault Ste-Marie
The French explorers who first reached this favoured Ojibway hunting and fishing ground were soon followed by fur traders and missionaries who built a post and mission. By 1762 the region had come under British control and the trade eventually fell . . . — Map (db m106412) HM
Ontario (Algoma District), Sault Ste. Marie — The North West Company Post
Travellers on the canoe route to the West had to make a portage around the St. Mary's rapids. The North West Company established a fur-trading post south of the river by 1791. After the British abandoned their occupation of the American midwest, . . . — Map (db m106373) HM
Ontario (Kenora District), Kenora — Rat Portage Post
On Old Fort Island a half mile north of here, the Hudson's Bay Company erected a stockaded fur trading post about 1836. This was the first known European structure within present Kenora. In 1861 the post was moved to the mainland, where it formed . . . — Map (db m106495) HM
Ontario (Kenora District), Kenora — Rev. Albert Lacombe, O.M.I.1827-1916
Born at St. Sulpice, Quebec, and ordained in 1849, Father Lacombe took up mission work at Fort Edmonton in 1852. The following year he founded Ste. Anne, first of several Oblate missions he established in what is now Alberta. He won the confidence . . . — Map (db m106498) HM
Ontario (Kenora District), Kenora — The Wolseley Expedition 1870
In August, 1870, a force of British regulars and Canadian militia comprising some 1,200 men commanded by Colonel Garnet Wolseley, arrived in this area en route to the Red River to establish Canadian authority within the present province of . . . — Map (db m106494) HM
Ontario (Kenora District), Township of Machin — Last Spike at Feist Lake
In the 1870s, Canada needed a reliable all-Canadian transportation route between Lake Superior and the western prairie territories it acquired in 1869. After promising a rail connection to British Columbia, the federal government started to build a . . . — Map (db m106540) HM
Ontario (Kenora District), Township of Machin — The Fowler Family and The Last Spike at Feist Lake
John Fowler (1812-1900) was a railway contractor from Yorkshire who emigrated to southern Ontario where he built the Grafton-Cobourg section of the Grand Trunk Railway, leased the Port Hope, Lindsay & Beaverton Railway, and acquired the charter for . . . — Map (db m106541) HM
Ontario (Nipissing District), Calvin — Louise de Kiriline Lawrence1894-1992
Louise Flach was born in Sweden and grew up on the scenic Baltic coast where she developed an interest in nature. Flach became a Red Cross nurse, serving during the First World War in Denmark, and then with her first husband Greb de Kiriline who . . . — Map (db m105640) HM
Ontario (Nipissing District), Mattawa — Canoe Route to the West
Here, when the canoe was the principal means of travel, explorers, voyageurs, missionaries and others bound for the West, left the Ottawa River and followed the Mattawa River to Lake Nipissing, the French River and the upper Great Lakes. For over . . . — Map (db m105630) HM
Ontario (Nipissing District), Mattawa — French-Canadian Settlement and the CPR in the Mattawa area
Francophone settlement rapidly increased in the Mattawa area with the arrival of the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) in 1881. During construction of the rail line, the local economy benefitted from the presence of thousands of French-Canadian . . . — Map (db m105625) HM
Ontario (Nipissing District), Mattawa — Mattawa House 1837
Trading in furs at this junction of historic canoe routes probably began during the French regime. At intervals during the 1820's and 1830's Chief Trader John Siveright, commanding the Hudson's Bay Company's post at Fort Coulonge, sent men to trade . . . — Map (db m105629) HM
Ontario (Nipissing District), Mattawa — The Mattawa Route
When west-bound voyageurs left the Ottawa here at Mattawa, "the forks," they faced 11 portages in the next 40 miles. The Mattawa, or Petite-Rivičre, was a key link in the historic canoe route between Montréal and the upper Great Lakes and . . . — Map (db m105631) HM
Ontario (Renfrew County), Cobden — Champlain's Astrolabe
Nearby was found in 1867 by Edward George Lee an Astrolabe bearing the date 1603. This instrument, used for determining latitude, is believed to have been lost by Champlain about 7th June, 1613, on his exploratory expedition up the Ottawa River. — Map (db m105537) HM
Ontario (Renfrew County), Cobden — Champlain's Journey of 1613
The Father of New France, Samuel de Champlain, made the first of two voyages into what is now Ontario in 1613. He travelled up the Ottawa River seeking the northern sea (Hudson Bay) which one of his five companions, Nicolas de Vignau, claimed to . . . — Map (db m105539) HM
Ontario (Renfrew County), Deux-Rivičres — Rapids of the Upper Ottawa
For over two centuries the Ottawa River was part of the main canoe route to the West. Some of the river's most spectacular and dangerous rapids were located immediately downriver from here: the Rapide de la Veillée, the Trou and the Rapide des Deux . . . — Map (db m105622) HM
Ontario (Renfrew County), Laurentian Hills — Nuclear Power Demonstration Reactor
On June 4, 1962 the Nuclear Power Demonstration (NPD) Reactor 3 km east of Rolphton supplied the Ontario power grid with the first nuclear-generated electricity in Canada. A joint project of Atomic Energy of Canada Limited, Ontario Hydro and . . . — Map (db m105620) HM
Ontario (Renfrew County), Laurentian Hills — Steamboating on the Upper Ottawa
The first steamboat on the Upper Ottawa River was the 25 horse-power "Lady Colborne" built in 1833 for service between Aylmer and Chats Falls. Gradually other sections of the river where opened to steam navigation and in 1854 the "Pontiac" was . . . — Map (db m105618) HM
Ontario (Renfrew County), Pembroke — Jeanne Lajoie1899-1930
Jeanne Lajoie, a dedicated teacher and advocate for the establishment of French schools in Ontario, was born in Lefaivre, near Hawkesbury, in 1899. In 1923, Lajoie helped a group of Francophone parents to establish the first independent French . . . — Map (db m105544) HM
Ontario (Renfrew County), Pembroke — The Founder of Pembroke
Peter White, born in Edinburgh, was a merchant seaman when he was pressed into the Royal Navy in 1813 and sent to Canada. Following service on the Great Lakes under Commodore Sir James Yeo, he left the Navy and entered the lumber trade in the . . . — Map (db m105542) HM
Ontario (Renfrew County), Pembroke — The Pembroke and Mattawan Road
Constructed primarily as a supply route to the lumber camps in the Upper Ottawa Valley, this Colonization Road was begun in 1853 and opened the following year as a winter road from Pembroke to the mouth of the Mattawa River. The relocating of a . . . — Map (db m105547) HM
Ontario (Renfrew County), Petawawa — First Military Test Flights
The first military demonstration of aircraft flight in Canada was given at Petawawa Camp in August 1909, by J.A.D. McCurdy and F.W. Baldwin, with the assistance of the Royal Canadian Engineers. On the morning of 2 August, they made three successful . . . — Map (db m105616) HM
Ontario (Sudbury District), Chapleau — Louis Hémon 1880-1913
The author of "Maria Chapdelaine", Hémon was born at Brest, France. He immigrated to Canada in 1911 and spent about eight months in the Lac St. Jean region of Quebec. While working on a farm near Péribonka, he wrote this well known novel, a story . . . — Map (db m106529) HM
Ontario (Sudbury District), Naughton — Salter's Meridian 1856
While laying out a meridian line (a north-south survey line) in 1856, provincial land surveyor Albert Salter observed severe compass needle deflections some five kilometres north of here. Alexander Murray, assistant provincial geologist, examined . . . — Map (db m106532) HM
Ontario (Sudbury District), Naughton — Whitefish Lake Post
The Hudson's Bay Company had established a fur trading post on the western shore of Whitefish Lake by 1824. It was hoped that a depot adjacent to the portage route to Wakami Lake would help prevent independent traders in Michigan, Wisconsin and . . . — Map (db m106534) HM
Ontario (Thunder Bay District), Kakabeka Falls — The Kaministikwia Route
This chain of rivers, lakes and portages linking the St. Lawrence system with the waterways of the prairies had been known to the Indians for centuries when Jacques de Noyon first travelled it in 1688. After 1800, when the boundary settlement had . . . — Map (db m106543) HM
Ontario (Thunder Bay District), Kakabeka Falls — The Mountain Portage
This portage around Kakabeka Falls formed a link in the historic Kaministiquia canoe route connecting Lake Superior with Lake of the Woods and the West. First recorded in 1688 by the French explorer Jacques de Noyon, it was later abandoned in . . . — Map (db m106547) HM
Ontario (Thunder Bay District), Thunder Bay — Canadian Car & FoundryLa Canadian Car & Foundry
"Can Car" was the main plant of Canada's largest aircraft manufacturer during the Second World War. Here, workers built 1,451 of the reliable Hawker Hurricanes that won renown in the battle of Britain and 835 Curtiss Helldivers, significantly . . . — Map (db m106692) HM
Ontario (Thunder Bay District), Thunder Bay — Col. Elizabeth Smellie 1884-1968
This celebrated Canadian army nurse and public health authority was born in Port Arthur. In 1909 "Beth" Smellie became night supervisor at McKellar General Hospital. Joining the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps in 1915, she served in France and . . . — Map (db m106976) HM
Ontario (Thunder Bay District), Thunder Bay — Connaught Square
This square was named in 1936 for Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught, third son of Queen Victoria. He was serving in Canada with his regiment in 1870, when Colonel Wolseley named Prince Arthur's Landing (later Port Arthur) in his honour. Created Duke . . . — Map (db m107067) HM
Ontario (Thunder Bay District), Thunder Bay — Cummins Site
At least 9,000 years old, the Cummins site is one of the most significant of several Palaeo-Indian archaeological sites that form the Lakehead Complex. Many of these early seasonal camps were located on the shoreline of ancient Lake Minong, at a . . . — Map (db m106858) HM
Ontario (Thunder Bay District), Thunder Bay — Elizabeth Muriel Gregory "Elsie" MacGill(1905-1980)
Elsie MacGill made remarkable contributions to aeronautical engineering by introducing mass-production techniques for the Hawker Hurricane built here during the Second World War and later by developing international air-worthiness regulations. . . . — Map (db m106696) HM
Ontario (Thunder Bay District), Thunder Bay — Fort Kaministiquia 1717
A small fort was established near here in 1717 by a French officer, Zacharie Robutel de la Nouë. First of a projected series of bases en route to the "Western Sea", it replaced a structure built in 1679 by Daniel Greysolon, Sieur Dulhut, on another . . . — Map (db m106760) HM
Ontario (Thunder Bay District), Thunder Bay — Fort William
In aboriginal times the Kaministikwia river was an important link between the Great Lakes and the northwest, and from the late 17th century French posts here at its mouth served as bases for the penetration of the interior. Between 1804 and 1821 . . . — Map (db m106755) HM
Ontario (Thunder Bay District), Thunder Bay — Fort William
When the boundary settlement of 1783 placed its major inland depot, Grand Portage, in U.S. territory, the North West Company was forced to seek a new site on British soil. Following the reopening of the Kaministikwia route a new post, later named . . . — Map (db m106757) HM
Ontario (Thunder Bay District), Thunder Bay — Lakehead University
In response to a brief from Lakehead educators and business representatives outlining northwestern Ontario's need for an institution of higher education, a provincial Order-in-Council established the Lakehead Technical Institute in 1946. Two years . . . — Map (db m106857) HM
Ontario (Thunder Bay District), Thunder Bay — Simon James Dawson1820-1902
Born in Scotland, Dawson emigrated to Canada as a young man and began his career as a civil engineer. In 1857 as a member of a Canadian government expedition, he surveyed a line of road from the Lakehead to Fort Garry and in 1858-59 further . . . — Map (db m106859) HM
Ontario (Thunder Bay District), Thunder Bay — The Capture of Fort William
In 1812, the Earl of Selkirk settled dispossessed Scottish highlanders on Red River valley lands granted by the Hudson's Bay Company. The HBC's rival in the fur trade, the North West Company, feared the new colony would block its trade and . . . — Map (db m106761) HM
Ontario (Thunder Bay District), Thunder Bay — The Reverend Richard Baxter, S.J., 1821-1904
Born in Carlisle, England, Baxter came to Canada as a child. He studied in Toronto and at the Sulpician College in Montreal before becoming, reputedly, the first English-speaking Jesuit novice in Canada. After his ordination in New York in 1854, he . . . — Map (db m107065) HM
Ontario (Thunder Bay District), Thunder Bay — The Western Route of the C.P.R.
In June, 1875, the first sod on the Canadian Pacific Railway's line from the Lakehead to the West was turned at Fort William. A government contract of that year called for the building of a line northwest towards Lake Shebandowan. In 1882 the . . . — Map (db m106758) HM
Ontario (Thunder Bay District), Thunder Bay — Thunder Bay Tourist Pagoda
This tourist kiosk was erected in 1909 to promote Port Arthur's social and economic merits to visitors and investors. Its eye-catching architecture and strategic location reflect civic boosterism and the city's rivalry with nearby Fort William . . . — Map (db m107068) HM
Ontario (Thunder Bay District), Thunder Bay — William McGillivray1764-1825
Born in Inverness-shire, Scotland, McGillivray joined the North West Company in 1784, became a partner in 1790 and its principal director in 1804. Fort Kaministiquia, the Company's wilderness headquarters, was renamed Fort William in his honour in . . . — Map (db m106759) HM
Ontario (Thunder Bay District), Township of Golding — The Arctic Watershed
North of this watershed all flowing water eventually reaches Hudson Bay, while south of it all watercourses form part of the Great Lakes drainage system. The height of land follows an erratic course of some 1,400 miles across Ontario, ranging from . . . — Map (db m106542) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Charlottetown — The Gainsford Housec. 1833
This double tenement, built by John and Elizabeth Gainsford, became a landmark in a city largely built of wood. It is Charlottetown’s oldest surviving brick building. For many years the east side was the home of John Iags, editor of “The . . . — Map (db m104833) HM
Dominican Republic, Distrito Nacional, Santo Domingo — The Church and Convent of Regina Angelorum
Iglesia y Convento de Regina Angelorum Su construcción data de la segunda mitad del siglo XVI, finalizada a principios del siglo XVIII. Durante el siglo XVI la poeta Leonor de Ovando fue priora del convento. English translation: The . . . — Map (db m104937) HM
Dominican Republic, Distrito Nacional, Santo Domingo — The Founding of the Listín Diario
120 Aniversario Listin Diario Aquí se fundó Listin Diario El periódico de los dominicanos El 1ro. de agosto de 1889 por Don Arturo J. Pellarano Alfau Apóstol del periodismo nacional English translation: 120th Anniversary . . . — Map (db m104959) HM
Dominican Republic, Distrito Nacional, Santo Domingo — The St. Thomas Aquinas Academy
En este lugar operó durante casi un siglo el Colegio Santo Tomás de Aquino Ejemplo de educación y disciplina fundado por Mons. Merino en 1895. Parmenio Troncoso de la Concha y Manuel B. Troncoso Sánchez (Sr. Manolín) fueron sus impulsores. Miles . . . — Map (db m104933) HM
Dominican Republic, San Juan (Municipality of San Juan la Maguana), San Juan la Maguana — Francisco del Rosario Sanchez
Francisco del Rosario Sanchez 1817 1861 — Map (db m104907) WM
Dominican Republic, San Juan (Municipality of San Juan la Maguana), San Juan la Maguana — Orlando Martínez
Dedicada al periodista mártir de la humanidad en la persona de sanjuanero Orlando Martinez nacido en las Matas de Farfan el 23 de Septiembre del 1944
Ayuntamiento de S.J.M. 2012 Liga Municipal Dominicana English translation: . . . — Map (db m104913) HM
Egypt, Luxor Governate, Luxor — The Two Obelisques Of Queen Hatshepsut
These two obelisques were erected by Hatshepsut in the Hypostyle Hall of her father Tuthmosis I. They were both cut out of red granite quarries at Aswan. According to the text which is covering the obelisques the whole job took 7 months. — Map (db m106725) HM
El Salvador, San Salvador (Municipality of San Juan Opico), San Juan Opico — The San Salvador Volcano Complex
El Complejo del Volcán de San SalvadorUstedes pueden admirar un campo de lava petrificada, producto de la última erupción del Cráter El Boquerón en 1917. Hoy en día, facilita la infiltración del agua en la tierra, alimentando las capas . . . — Map (db m107291) HM
France, 85300 Challans (Pays de la loire), Challans — La quincaillerie BaillyConstruit en 1846
Ce bâtiment construit en 1846 par les époux James, tisserands et aubergistes devient hôtel du couchant En 1904 il est transformé en commerce d'épicerie Une quincaillerie s'y installe dčs 1913

Google Translation: This building was built in . . . — Map (db m103329) HM

France, Biard (Poitou-Charentes) — Monument aux morts1914 - 1918
Aux enfants de Biard morts pour la France Guerre 1914-1918 1914 Bonneau Louis · Gatard Moďse · Jean André · Roussely Raoul 1915 Durpaire Joseph · Hulin Paul · Moreau Emile · Noblet Henri · Raveau Léon · Trichard Louis 1916 Giraud Emile · Neveux . . . — Map (db m104781) WM
France, Hauts-de-France (Aisne), Belleau — World War I Monument
This monument has been erected by the United States of America to commemorate the services of her troops and those of France who fought in this region during the World War. It stands as a lasting symbol of the friendship and cooperation between the . . . — Map (db m106030) WM
Germany, Baden-Württemberg (Ostalbkreis), Schwäbisch Gmünd — 32 — Garten der Partnerstadt Bethlehem (USA) / Garden of the Sister City of Bethlehem (USA)
Die Partnerschaft zwischen Bethlehem und Schwäbisch Gmünd besteht seit 1991. Bethlehem ist eine der ältesten Städte der USA. Sie wurde am Heiligen Abend 1741 von einer deutschen Pilgergruppe - den "Moravians" (Mährern) - gegründet. Die . . . — Map (db m106895) HM
Germany, Baden-Württemberg (Ostalbkreis), Schwäbisch Gmünd — Glockenturm / Belltower
Die Erbauungszeit des erst 1578/79 urkundlich als „Glockhauß" erwähnten Gebäudes fällt wohl in die Jahre 1227/28. Zwei Deckenbalken im Erdgeschoss datieren schon auf 1143 bzw. 1154. Der 35,5 Meter hohe Turm mit seinem Pyramidendach ist . . . — Map (db m105462) HM
Germany, Baden-Württemberg (Ostalbkreis), Schwäbisch Gmünd — Katharina Czisch
geboren am 7. September 1909 als Katharina Probst in Leer/Ostfriesland gestorben am 21. Januar 1999 in Stuttgart Die Berufsträume ihrer Jugendzeit, den Armen unter den Menschen das Leben zu erleichtern, konnte die Juristin . . . — Map (db m106984) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — Former Synagogue
Hier stand die 1837 erbaute und am 9.11.1938 durch die damaligen Machthaber zerstörte Synagoge der israelitischen Kultusgemeinde Würzburg [English translation:] Here stood the . . . — Map (db m105758) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Kreis Schweinfurt), Gerolzhofen — Altes Rathaus / The Old City Hall
1461 schenkte Michael von Schwarzenberg der Stadt ein Haus am Markt, das 1475 zu einem Rathaus umgebaut wurde. 1585 erfolgte der südliche Anbau (Küchenbau). 1732 wurde das Gebäude barockisiert. Die Stadtverwaltung zog 1979 aus, heute . . . — Map (db m105881) HM
Guatemala, Chimaltenango (Municipality of Tecpán Guatemala), Tecpán Guatemala — Artisans and Exchanges at IximchéFood in the Daily Life of Iximché - Daily Life in the Palaces
Este marcador consiste en tres paneles Los Artesanos y Los Intercambios Tanto los objetos como las manifestaciones artísticas de Iximché, reflejan una especialización artesanal importante, así como la existencia de redes comerciales . . . — Map (db m106515) HM
Guatemala, Chimaltenango (Municipality of Tecpán Guatemala), Tecpán Guatemala — Plaza D at Iximché
This is a trilingual marker in Kaqchikel, Spanish and English Rulewal D Ri Rulewal D yalan nim, kisurin ki' taq k'oxtun xe' ruxikin. Majunb’ey ta xkanox rub'anikil, ruma ri majun etaman ta ri jalajöj rub'anikil. Po niqu'alajirisäx . . . — Map (db m106524) HM
Guatemala, Chimaltenango (Municipality of Tecpán Guatemala), Tecpán Guatemala — The Founding of Tecpán Guatemala
La Asamblea Legislativa de la Republica Mandó colocar esta placa en el Salón de Honor del Ayuntamiento de Tecpan Guatemala, en conmemoración del día 25 de Julio de 1924 en que esta Villa fue elevada a la categoría de Ciudad y del IV Centenario del . . . — Map (db m105324) HM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Guatemala), Guatemala City — 100th Anniversary of the Paulist Fathers in Guatemala
1862 Mayo 12 1962 Homenaje del pueblo de Guatemala a los Padres Paulinos y Hermanas de la Caridad en el 1er centenario de su llegada. El Comité Central English translation: 1862 - Mayo 12 - 1962 Tribute from the people of . . . — Map (db m105214) HM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Guatemala), Guatemala City — Federico Hernández de León
Aquí vivio y murió el connotado periodista Federico Hernandez de Leon Homenaje de los Senadores de la Camara Junior de Guatemala 1972 English translation: Here lived and died the noted journalist Federico Hernández de León Tribute . . . — Map (db m105213) HM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Guatemala), Guatemala City — José Luis de León Díaz (Luis de Lión)
“Yo no sabia que el mundo era redondo y mas bien creía que si me subia al cerro en frente podría tocar el cielo y mancharme los dedos de azul” (Luis de Lion, fragmento del poema Para mi cielo) En este lugar fue desaparecido . . . — Map (db m105275) HM WM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Guatemala), Guatemala City — Memorial to Héctor Interiano, Carlos Cuevas and Gustavo Castańón
Gobierno de la República de Guatemala Comisión Presidencial Coordinadora de la Política del Ejecutivo en materia de Derechos Humanos – COPREDEH - Los parques, las aulas universitarias, las calles guatemaltecas son testigos de las . . . — Map (db m105195) HM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Guatemala), Guatemala City — Memorial to the Victims of Guatemala's Armed ConflictMemorial a las Víctimas del Conflicto Armado de Guatemala
Es nuestro deseo erigir este símbolo para dignificar los centenares de mujeres, nińos, y hombres que sufrieron los estragos y el horror de la violencia política durante treinta y seis ańos desde 1960 a 1996. Los nombres aquí grabados representan . . . — Map (db m105317) WM

2635 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 2435
Paid Advertisement