Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

 
Admiral Federico Rómero Ceballos Marker image, Touch for more information
By J. Makali Bruton, April 3, 2017
Admiral Federico Rómero Ceballos Marker
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — Admiral Federico Rómero Ceballos
1909-1991 En esta casa nació el ilustre Almirante de la Armada de México, Federico Rómero Ceballos Prominente Navegante Guanajuato, Gto. 7 de Diciembre de 1991 English translation: 1909-1991 In this house was born the illustrious . . . — Map (db m104511) HM
United Kingdom, England, London — The Monument
This monument designed by Sir Christopher Wren was built to commemorate the Great Fire of London 1666 which burned for three days consuming more than 13,000 houses and devastating 436 acres of the City. The Monument is 202 ft in height, being equal . . . — Map (db m104064) HM
California (Shasta County), Igo — Military Order of the Purple Heart MemorialNorthern California Veterans Memorial
Combat Veterans Wounded-My stone is red for the blood they shed. The medal I bear is my country’s way to show they care. If I could be seen by all mankind maybe peace will come in my lifetime. — Map (db m104604) WM
California (Shasta County), Igo — Submariners Memorial
Forever in Memory of Those Submariners on Eternal Patrol-Sailors Rest Your Oar-Dedicated by U.S. Submarine Veterans — Map (db m104494) WM
California (Shasta County), Igo — U.S. Army Special Forces Memorial
To the Quiet Professionals for Their Courage, Their Honor, Their Ability and for Their Unwavering Dedication to Freedom. De Oppresso Liber — Map (db m104603) WM
Colorado (Mesa County), Fruitas — Butch CassidyIn the Grand Valley
Reportedly, in October 1899 Butch Cassidy and several members of the Wild Bunch, also known as the Hole-in-the-wall Gang, travelled through Grand Valley. From 1889 to 1904 this band of deperadoes thrilled local citizens and terrified many . . . — Map (db m104504) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — SC-230 — The Coursey-Daisey Nanticoke Indian Burial Ground
​ Located with in this neighborhood, a short distance south of here, is the burial ground of the Coursey and Daisey families, members of the Nanticoke Indian tribe. The graveside is unmarked except for a family tombstone noting the site. It . . . — Map (db m104206) HM
Georgia (Camden County), St Marys — Captain Lemuel Johnson Memorial and Park
This park is a memorial to Captain Lemuel Johnson- Confederate Veteran and benefactor of this city 1918 — Map (db m103545) WM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Ardick — 095-33 — Capture of 23 Old Men in 1864
Near here, in Ebenezer Church, 23 old men were captured by Federal troops on the night of August 3rd, 1864. These civilians, too old for military service, were the sole protection of McIntosh County, which was constantly being plundered by forces . . . — Map (db m104509) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Darien — 095-14 — Fort Barrington»— 12 mi. →
Fort Barrington, about twelve miles West of here on the Altamaha River, was built in 1751. Lieut. Robert Baillie, in charge of construction, commanded the post for several years. Named Fort Howe during the Revolution, the fort played a vital part . . . — Map (db m104506) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Darien — 095-17 — Old River Road
The River Road has changed but little in location since its beginning as a Military Route in 1739. Scottish Highlanders first marched over it on their way to invade Spanish Florida, and troops have used it in three wars ­- the War with Spain, the . . . — Map (db m104508) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — 1697 — City and County Named / Jefferson County Courthouse
City and County Named Louisville, at the Falls of the Ohio, was founded in 1778 by George Rogers Clark. Site first served as a military outpost; the city which developed was named for Louis XVI. Kentucky Co., Virginia, was divided in 1780 into . . . — Map (db m104581) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — George Rogers Clark
George Rogers Clark 1752 — 1818 Soldier, Patriot Founder Of Louisville Founder Of Kentucky Conqueror Of Our First Great West From The Alleghany Mountains To The Mississippi River A Son Of Virginia A Gallant Gentleman And . . . — Map (db m104489) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — Louis XVI
Louis XVI 1754 – 1793 King of France 1774 – 1793 This city was named Louisville in 1780 because of his support of the American Colonies in the Revolutionary War. The statue, sculptured by Valois in 1827, was given to Louisville . . . — Map (db m104582) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — Thomas Jefferson Memorial
( inscribed around the base ) This monument to Thomas Jefferson was presented to the people of Kentucky July 4 1900 by Isaac W and Bernard Bernheim to perpetuate the teachings and examples of the Founders of the Republic ( . . . — Map (db m104579) HM
Louisiana (Catahoula Parish), Harrisonburg — McGuffee MoundsAncient Mounds Trail
McGuffee has as many as 6 mounds on the west bank of the Ouachita River. Several of the mounds are well preserved and visible from the road. A C-shaped earthen ridge encloses the mounds. Radiocarbon dates suggest Indians built these earthworks . . . — Map (db m104674) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Distinguished Cadets1940-1941
Dedicated by the Louisiana Department Reserve Officers Association of the United States to those Cadets who have distinguished themselves by their outstanding attention to duty their scholarly attainments and their preparation of of . . . — Map (db m104675) HM WM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Houma — Terrebonne Parish Courthouse Square Oaks
Marker 1 These majestic southern live oaks (Quercus virginiana) in this Terrebonne Courthouse Square were planted during the winter of 1886 by Bernard Filhucan Bazet. Mr. Bazet was born in Lasserre, France in 1832, entered Terrebonne Parish . . . — Map (db m104676) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — Francis Scott KeyRotary International
The Thirty Fourth District ·Rotary International· At Its First Conference March 1923 Pays This Tribute to Francis Scott Key · Author of· Our National Anthem ⟵·⟶ “And the Star Spangled Banner, Oh, . . . — Map (db m104597) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — Francis Scott KeyUnited Daughters of 1812
The National Society United Daughters of 1812 State Presidents and Charter Members April 5, 1979 Pay this tribute to Francis Scott Key Author of Our National Anthem ⟵·⟶ “Then Conquer We Must When . . . — Map (db m104602) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Bel Air — MA & PA Heritage Trail
The History of the MA & PA Trail The MA & PA Railroad stretched between Baltimore at North Avenue & Howard Streets, on to Towson, through Long Green Valley into Harford County. It ended at Market Street in York, Pennsylvania. Even by the . . . — Map (db m104553) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — Grand Army of the Republic
THIS MEMORIAL was erected in memory of and dedicated to the Grand Army of the Republic by the Department of Michigan Women's Relief Corps. Jun 11, 1924. "Ever in the realms of glory shall shine your starry fame. Angels have heard your story. God . . . — Map (db m104515) WM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — Adrian's Prominent Leaders
Thomas Cooley was the greatest lawyer and judge ever to come out of Lenawee County and is generally considered the finest legal mind Michigan produced during the nineteenth century. During the 1840s and 1850s, Cooley partnered with several local . . . — Map (db m104514) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — Frank Navin & The Detroit Tigers
Frank Navin was the most famous Adrian native involved in professional baseball in his day. Born in Adrian in 1871, Navin went to Detroit in 1889, where he worked as a bookkeeper. He eventually became the right-hand man to Sanuel F. Angus, the . . . — Map (db m104549) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — Professional Baseball in Adrian
Adrian got to experience professional baseball in 1894 when the Adrian Light Guard baseball team was formed to play in the Michigan Baseball League. Although the league lasted only one year, Adrian fielded great players such as star pitcher and . . . — Map (db m104596) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Adrian — Spirit of Cooperation
The Adrian Kiwanis Club and the City of Adrian have a rich history of working together to make Adrian a better community. With the assistance of the City in site selection, and through significant public support, the Kiwanis Riverview Terrace, a . . . — Map (db m104500) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ann Arbor Township — NA-01 — Native American Trails
Centuries ago, Indian trails crossed the landscape of Washtenaw County. These paths connected Indian villages to fertile hunting and fishing grounds throughout Michigan. When settlers arrived in the County during the 19th century, these same . . . — Map (db m104642) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Intersection of Main and South Union StreetsNatchez Trails
An 1890 view of Memorial Park shows the Confederate soldier monument draped for unveiling. Like many others across the south, it faces north towards the opposing army.The park's creation was part of the Lost Cause Movement that expressed . . . — Map (db m104480) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Natchez Bluffs and River ViewsNatchez Trails
The Harper family mansion had a spectacular view of the river from the bluff. The construction of the railroad and related development made its land valuable for commerce, and the house and its garden were destroyed to build a large warehouse (no . . . — Map (db m104673) HM
Mississippi (DeSoto County), Southaven — Club Ebony
Club Ebony, which opened for business around 1948, was built over a period of years by John Jones, who purchased the property in November of 1945 with his wife Josephine. In a 1948 memoir, Jones wrote: "It is said to be the South's largest and . . . — Map (db m104465) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Hanover — "Senior Fence"
The College first erected a fence specifically designated as a gathering place for Seniors in 1897 on the east side of the Green in front of Dartmouth Hall. Three years later the College moved the fence across the Green, where it remained for over a . . . — Map (db m104406) HM
New Hampshire (Merrimack County), New London — New London War Memorial
In grateful appreciation, the town of New London in full recognition of the supreme sacrifice* of a few and the arduous efforts of many, hereby acknowledge with deep humility and thanksgiving the participation of the community's men and women during . . . — Map (db m104574) WM
New Hampshire (Merrimack County), New London — New London War Memorial
In memory of our citizens who offered their lives to preserve the Union. Commissioned officers. General Joseph M. Clough Major Geaorge W. Everett Captain Andrew J. Sargent Captain Samuel M. Carr Captain Charlew Woodward Captain MAthew . . . — Map (db m104575) WM
New Hampshire (Merrimack County), Newbury — Center Meeting House, Newbury NH
New marker text Built in 1832, the Center Meeting House appears to be inspired by Asher Benjamin’s designs for Federal period religious buildings. Construction was financed by the First Toleration Society who wanted a place where all . . . — Map (db m104567) HM
New Hampshire (Merrimack County), Newbury — Newbury NH Veteran's Memorial
Remember Dedicated by the town of Newbury to all veterans who have served so that others may be free. July 14, 2012.

Additionally, there are 6 pillars representing the 6 different services. In front of the memorial there are several . . . — Map (db m104572) WM

New Hampshire (Sullivan County), Washington — Washington NH
N.H. Washington The first town incorporated under the name of George Washington Our first president December 13, 1776 Erected Nov. 1932 — Map (db m104566) HM
New Hampshire (Sullivan County), Washington — Washington NH Civil War Memorial
1861-1865 Erected in memory of those brave soldiers of Washington who gave their lives in the defense of their country, during the great rebellion.

Side 1 Hamilton Williams 19 • J. Landon Miller 21 • Gilman L. Beckwith 34 • Henry . . . — Map (db m104561) WM

New Hampshire (Sullivan County), Washington — Washington NH Town Common National Register of Historic Places
The Washington Common has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m104562) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Hillsborough — Thomas P. Huff Farmstead
Constructed circa 1870, the Thomas P. Huff House exemplifies the Victorian era Tuscan Villa style. The site also includes a circa 1800 three-bay Dutch Barn, 1870 corn crib and other agricultural buildings. The farmstead historically operated as a . . . — Map (db m104499) HM
New York (Broome County), Whitney Point — Gen. John Paterson1744 - 1808

Revolutionary Patriot New York State Assemblyman United States Congressman Colonial Pioneer — Map (db m104535) WM

New York (Broome County), Whitney Point — M60 A3 Battle Tank[War Memorial]

Years in Production: 1960 - 1987 Manufacturer: Detroit Arsenal Tank Plant, Chrysler Weight: 46 Tons Main Armament: 105mm (4.1in) M68 Gun Engine: V-12 Twin Turbo Diesel Top Speed: @30mph (road)

This display is in honor of all . . . — Map (db m104532) HM WM

New York (Kings County), Brooklyn — 12-Inch Naval Gun, Mark V, Model 8
Effective national defense policies often require that a new threat be met with a new response. Fort Hamilton entered service in 1831 to defend New York City against attack by wooden ships powered by sail. The fort’s seacoast batteries later . . . — Map (db m104517) HM
New York (Kings County), Brooklyn — 12-Pounder “Napoleons”, Model of 1857 (Reproductions)
Based upon a French design, the Model of 1857 “Napoleon” was a bronze gun capable of firing a 12 pound shot nearly one mile. Although few were produced prior to 1861, large numbers of the Napoleons were ultimately employed by both sides . . . — Map (db m104516) HM
New York (Kings County), Brooklyn — General Robert E. Lee
Then Captain, Corps of Engineers, U.S.A. resided on this site 1841-1846 Presented by New York Division United Daughters of the Confederacy — Map (db m104513) HM
New York (Kings County), Brooklyn — Giovanni da Verrazano
Florentine explorer 1490-1528 — Map (db m104519)
New York (New York County), Manhattan — Antonin Dvořák plaque and statue
Gift of the New York Philharmonic and the Dvořák American Heritage Association to the City of New York 1997. This bronze statue by Ivan Mestrovic (1883-1962) was commissioned by the Czechoslovak National Council of America and presented to . . . — Map (db m104413) HM
New York (New York County), New York — The Anne Frank Tree
The Anne Frank Tree dedicated on June 12, 2017 by the Anne Frank Center for Mutual Respect with gratitude to the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey

This tree is a pure descendant of the chestnut tree, preserved over decades, . . . — Map (db m104536) HM

New York (Tompkins County), Caroline — The Widow Earsley

Erected in 1923 by the former and present residents of the Town of Caroline as a memorial in honor of the Widow Earsley as the first pioneer settler. She came on horseback into this New York wilderness, purchased one hundred acres of land, and . . . — Map (db m104539) HM

New York (Tompkins County), Ithaca — DeWitt Park Historic District

This historic district contains many of the City's earliest surviving residential, religious and public buildings. The park - originally known as the "public square" - and its surroundings were depicted in the original Village plan prepared by . . . — Map (db m104578) HM

New York (Tompkins County), Ithaca — First White Settlers

in Ithaca were Revolutionary Soldiers Jonathan Woodworth - and - Robert McDowell in 1788

Cabin sites near this marker — Map (db m104637) HM

New York (Tompkins County), Ithaca — Ithaca College1892 • 1992

founded as the Ithaca Conservatory of Music September 19, 1892

Ithaca was our earliest campus, we were at once scholars and citizens of this town that embraced us. Each of us they called by name and allowed us glimmers of . . . — Map (db m104546) HM

New York (Tompkins County), Ithaca — Ithaca Conservatory of Music 31st Anniversary1892 • 1923 — An Unfolding Vision

This tablet is erected on the thirty first anniversary of the Ithaca Conservatory of Music in appreciation of the vision[,] courage and determination of the co-laborers

W. Grant Egbert President George C. Williams . . . — Map (db m104576) HM

New York (Tompkins County), Ithaca — Ithaca's First Fire Bell1858 - 1876

[Title is text]

[Foundry mark across top reads] Naylor Vickers & Co. 1858 E. Riepe's Patent Cast Steel Sheffield [England] No. 715 — Map (db m104670) HM

New York (Tompkins County), Ithaca — JupiterSagan Planet Walk

A failed star with a turbulent, rapidly-rotating atmosphere

Hurricanes much larger than Earth • The Great Red Spot is a hurricane-like storm system that has been continuously active since its discovery by Galileo Galilei over 400 . . . — Map (db m104665) HM

New York (Tompkins County), Ithaca — Liberty PoleTompkins County

Dedicated by Tompkins County Chapter Sons of the American Revolution April 19, 1951

Presented by Clarence F. MorseMap (db m104633) WM

New York (Tompkins County), Ithaca — The Oregon Mission

Sent out by First Presbyterian Church of Ithaca in 1834 in response to search of Nez Perce Indians for White Man's Book from Heaven was under leadership of Rev. Samuel Parker. With him went Samuel Allis of Ithaca and Rev. John Dunbar of Auburn . . . — Map (db m104639) HM

New York (Tompkins County), Ithaca — Tompkins County1784 • 1815

Created April 17, 1817 Named for Daniel D. Tompkins

Born 1774, Died 1825. Served New York State as Member of Constitutional Convention and Assemby 1801; Judge of Supreme Court 1804-7; Governor 1807-1817; Chancellor of University of . . . — Map (db m104634) HM

New York (Tompkins County), Ithaca — Tompkins County Civil War MemorialWhen Needed They Served — Grand Army of the Republic 1861 • 1865

In Memory of Civil War Veterans Tompkins County, New York Units from Tompkins County

Infantry Regiments 19th • 23rd • 32 Co. D • 64 Co. E 109th • 137th • 143 Co. D • 179th

Cavalry 15th • 21st • DeWitt Guard

Artillery 3rd . . . — Map (db m104587) WM

New York (Tompkins County), Ithaca — Tompkins County Cold-Iraq-Afghanistan Wars Honor Roll

Tompkins County Remembers

John C. Smith, Jr. • USS Liberty 1967

Patrick L. Griffin, Jr. • Iraq 2003

Christopher D. Bordoni • Afghanistan 2012 — Map (db m104591) WM

New York (Tompkins County), Ithaca — Tompkins County Korean War Honor Roll1950 • 1955

Hollis J. Adams • Robert B. Andrews Michael J. Barra • Charles J. Fedorka Richard L. Henderson • Merle A. Hess Clarence F. Hile • Harrison C. Jacobs Bruce W. Mack • George J. Maguire Leo W. Maguire • Charles R. Niemi Luigi J. Rapone . . . — Map (db m104589) WM

New York (Tompkins County), Ithaca — Tompkins County Vietnam Honor Roll1964 • 1975

Domingo I. Aguilar • Charles Adams Charles Boyer • Fred Carpenter Gary Elia • David N. Fox Terrence C. Graves • Paul J. Greenwood Jr. Charles Hamilton • Carl E. Janowsky Jr. Richard A. Miller • Donald Penney Karl F. Perry • Charles . . . — Map (db m104592) WM

New York (Tompkins County), Ithaca — Tompkins County World War I Roll of HonorMCMXIV • MCMXVIII

Hanford M. Armstrong • Arthur E. Bouton Rylan E. Brillhart • Robert L. Burchfield Lorenzo D. Burgess • William R. Bush John B. Carey • Delmar D. Carpenter Frank E. Carrington • John R. Chadwick Ira Van O. Clark • Michael F. Conway . . . — Map (db m104585) WM

New York (Tompkins County), Ithaca — Tompkins County World War II Honor Roll1941 • 1945

[See photos for Honor Roll names] — Map (db m104584) WM

New York (Tompkins County), Ithaca — Town of Ithaca

Formed March 15, 1821 from portions of Town of Ulysses. Nathan Herrick 1st Supervisor; Isaac Beers 1st Clerk. Original size 31 sq. miles. — Map (db m104630) HM

North Carolina (Alleghany County), Hare — Fox Hunters Paradise
The knoll low on the ridge to the right boasts this celestial name. It is well known locally that hunters often sat about a night fire there while they followed the chase in the lowlands. They knew which hound held the lead by the . . . — Map (db m104662) HM
North Carolina (Alleghany County), Laurel Springs — M-34 — Robert L. Doughton1863–1954
Congressman, 1911–1953. Chairman, House Ways and Means Committee 1833–1947. 1949–1953. Home 2/10 miles southeast. — Map (db m104664) HM
North Carolina (Alleghany County), Sparta — M-37 — Rufus A. Doughton
Legislator, 14 terms. Lt. Governor, 1893-1897. Headed Revenue & Highway Commissions. Was UNC Trustee for 56 years. Office was 30 feet west. — Map (db m104663) HM
North Carolina (Ashe County), Peak Creek — M-28 — Ore Knob Mine
Copper mine operated intermittently, 1850s to 1962. Site of Ore Knob, boom mining town, incorporated 1875. Shafts 1 mile north. — Map (db m104668) HM
North Carolina (Moore County), Carthage — Biography of Robert Hoyle Upchurch(August 23, 1923 – October 6, 1944)
Lieutenant Robert Hoyle Upchurch was born in the rural community of High Falls, North Carolina on August 23, 1923, where he grew up in a large, close family. The second youngest of eleven children, he was known by his family as “Hoyle”. . . . — Map (db m104351) HM
North Carolina (Moore County), Carthage — East Meets West
Sen. Harris Blake and Dr. Lian Xie have worked tirelessly since 2006 to maintain good will between the U.S. and Hunan Provence, China. Both countries fought together to defeat Japan in WWII. 60 years after the war, a relationship was renewed when a . . . — Map (db m104353) HM WM
North Carolina (Moore County), Carthage — James McConnell
-Translation- To the American Sergeant Pilot Aviator James McConnell Voluntary Enlisted Man in the French Aviation on December 27th, 1915 Killed in Action on March 19th, 1917 in Aerial Combat The country of France will forever be . . . — Map (db m104348) HM WM
North Carolina (Moore County), Carthage — James Rogers McConnell
In January 1915 James Roger McConnell left Carthage, N.C. For N.Y. And sailed to France. He volunteered in the American Ambulance Service as an ambulance driver. He was awarded the much coveted Croix de Guerre for Bravery Under Fire. He later joined . . . — Map (db m104350) HM WM
North Carolina (Moore County), Carthage — Lt. Robert "Hoyle" Upchurch
23rd Fighter Group, 74th Squadron US Army Air Corps MIA/KIA Oct. 6th, 1944 A Member of the Famous Flying Tigers Home at Last, April 8th, 2006 Dedicated April 7, 2012 — Map (db m104352) HM WM
North Carolina (Moore County), Carthage — Ret. SFC Zeb D. Harrington and The "Junkyard Dog"
Zeb Harrington was raised in Chatham County N.C. Near Moncure. He was a young boy during WWII and was always fascinated by anything military, especially airplanes. He grew up and married his wife, Martha, and raised four children. Gerald, Sherri, . . . — Map (db m104347) HM WM
North Carolina (Rowan County), Spencer — Norfolk & Western Caboose 555012
Builder: International Car Company, Kenton, Ohio Date Complete: April 1976 Cost: $45,000 Built as: Norfolk & Western Railway 555012 In 1976 the Norfolk & Western Railway (N&W) placed an order for one hundred new cabooses with the . . . — Map (db m104595) HM
North Carolina (Rowan County), Spencer — Southern Public Utilities Co. 1927 Streetcar #85
Streetcar #85 was manufactured in Charlotte in 1927 by the Southern Public Utilities Company The trolley ran 11 years in the city, powered by overhead electric wires. It was the last streetcar running and was the centerpiece of a ceremony that . . . — Map (db m104594) HM
North Carolina (Rowan County), Spencer — Spencer Shops Roundhouse and TurntableHistoric Mechanical Engineering Landmark — 1924
This 37-stall roundhouse and 100-foot turntable built by the southern railway are among the few survivors of a distinctive type of locomotive repair facility that was once common across North America. The radial track and turntable arrangement was . . . — Map (db m104588) HM
North Carolina (Rowan County), Spencer — The Muscle of Spencer ShopsA Milestone in Restoration
The Muscle of Spencer Shops While the Bob Julian Roundhouse, located just south of here, provided routine maintenance for Southern Railway's steam locomotives, the Back Shop was where the heavy lifting was done—literally. Locomotives . . . — Map (db m104590) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — Hobart Brothers CompanyAt Lock 12 of the Miami & Erie Canal — 1917- 2017
Founded on March 24, 1917 by C.C. Hobart, his wife Ella and sons, Charles, Edward and William, Hobart Brothers Company was built on C.C.’s interest and experience in manufacturing. He had worked for the Edison Electrical Illuminating Company in . . . — Map (db m104450) HM
Ohio (Montgomery County), Dayton — OHS #18- 5 — Lewis & Elizabeth Kemp Homestead
Lewis and Elizabeth (Lyons) Kemp were settlers of what became Mad River Township. With their eight children, the Kemps arrived here from Frederick County, Maryland around 1806. The stone part of the house was built shortly thereafter. Lewis donated . . . — Map (db m104541) HM
Ohio (Montgomery County), Dayton — OHS #16- 5 — Natalie Clifford Barney
Side A Natalie Clifford Barney was born in Dayton on October 31, 1876. Her family was wealthy and industrious, including her great grandfather who founded the Dayton Academy, Cooper Female Seminary, and Dayton Car Works. Natalie, who knew . . . — Map (db m104542) HM
Ohio (Montgomery County), Dayton — Patterson Homestead 1804
Colonel Robert Patterson was a Revolutionary War Indian fighter, the founder of Lexington, Kentucky, and co-founder of Cincinnati, Ohio. He and his family settled here south of Dayton in 1804 on the 320-acre Rubicon Farm, named for the nearby creek . . . — Map (db m104554) HM
Ohio (Montgomery County), Dayton — OHS #21-57 — Sister Dorothy Stang SNDdeN (1931- 2005)
Side A Born on June 7, 1931 in Dayton to Edna and Henry Stang, Dorothy Mae was the fourth of nine children. She attended Julienne High School and entered religious life with the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur in 1948. She professed final . . . — Map (db m104544) HM
Ohio (Montgomery County), Dayton — The Patterson Homestead
Col. Robert Patterson, Revolutionary War soldier and founder of Lexington, Ky., settled here in 1804 and built this farmhouse in 1816. At his death in 1827, Rubicon Farm, with its sawmill, grist mill, stone mill (for wool carding) and sugar camp, . . . — Map (db m104560) HM
Ohio (Montgomery County), Dayton — To the Memory of William McKinley
To The Memory of William McKinley born Jan. 29th, 1843 died Sept. 14th, 1901 soldier in the Army of the Union representative in Congress Governor of Ohio President of the United States statesman, patriot, martyr a Christian . . . — Map (db m104552) HM WM
Ohio (Montgomery County), Moraine — Johnny Appleseed SiteAn Existing Grove of Trees
Plaque 1 In the 1820’s during a hike from Urbana to Cincinnati, John “Johnny Appleseed” Chapman planted a grove of apple trees just west of Dorf Drive in German Village. On September 23, 2010, honoring the 236th birthday of John . . . — Map (db m104620) HM
Ohio (Montgomery County), Moraine — Zion Memorial ChurchOn Old Dixie Highway
The first church in Moraine was Zion Memorial Church of Christ established in 1820. The first church was built of logs with a stone foundation. The cemetery also was started at this time. Between 1820 and 1826 the first ministers were circuit riders . . . — Map (db m104616) HM
Pennsylvania (Cumberland County), Carlisle — Army Aviation in Vietnam
The helicopter evolved during World War II and while its military application was clear, the technology took time to advance to meet its expectations. By the end of WWII designs were being fielded and during the Korean War helicopters were . . . — Map (db m104444) HM
Pennsylvania (Cumberland County), Carlisle — Bill Beck and Russell Adams
When 1st Battalion, 7th Cavalry arrived at LZ X-Ray, the Soldiers fanned out to develop a defensive perimeter. One of those Soldiers was SP4 Bill Beck of Steelton, PA. He was a member of an M-60 machinegun crew of Weapons Squad, 3rd Platoon, Alpha . . . — Map (db m104446) HM
Pennsylvania (Cumberland County), Carlisle — COL. Joseph D. Newsome
Joe Newsome, a Pennsylvania native, graduated from the Pennsylvania Military College in 1961 and was commissioned as a second lieutenant in the US Army. During his 28-year career he served in a variety of units, including Field Artillery and . . . — Map (db m104443) HM
Pennsylvania (Cumberland County), Carlisle — DutyThe Ia Drang Valley, November 1965
“We went to war because our country asked us to go, because our new president… ordered us to go, but more importantly because we saw it as our duty to go.” Lt. Gen. Harold G. Moore, USA (Ret.) “We Were Soldiers Once… . . . — Map (db m104563) HM
Pennsylvania (Cumberland County), Carlisle — Final Act – LZ AlbanyNovember 17-18, 1965
Following the close of the fighting around LZ X-Ray, The NVA forces disengaged and disappeared into the surrounding foliage. Us commanders began to remove their troops from the field primarily by helicopter. Because of the extensive air traffic the . . . — Map (db m104447) HM
Pennsylvania (Cumberland County), Carlisle — Loyalty
The dispatch runners of the Argonne Forest, October 1918

“… and infantry runner passed by…” Private Meyer Cohen, 304th Field Artillery

“So I took my .45 Colt out of its holster and put it in my overcoat and I had it . . . — Map (db m104565) HM

Pennsylvania (Cumberland County), Carlisle — Personal CourageOmaha Beach, 6 June 1944
“I had only one thought and that was to get at the enemy.” Captain Joseph T. Dawson 1st Infantry Division — Map (db m104613) HM
Pennsylvania (Cumberland County), Carlisle — Respect
Joseph Plum Martin, age 15, enlisted for 6 months service in the 5th Connecticut Regiment on July 6, 1776 and served the Continental cause until freedom was secured. During his 7 years of service he participated in the campaigns of the mid-Atlantic . . . — Map (db m104611) HM
Pennsylvania (Cumberland County), Carlisle — Revolutionary WarFirewood
Wood was the primary heating fuel used by Soldiers during the Revolutionary War. Soldiers received a ration of one-half of a cord of wood per room per day. Officers had better quarters than enlisted men. A Colonel, for example, would have two rooms, . . . — Map (db m104612) HM
Pennsylvania (Cumberland County), Carlisle — Selfless Service
Buffalo Soldiers and the Charge for San Juan Hill 1 July 1898

“Rally on the flag boys!” Sgt. George Berry 10th US Cavalry Regiment San Juan Hill, Cuba, 1898 — Map (db m104564) HM

Pennsylvania (Cumberland County), Carlisle — SmallpoxScourge of the 18th Century
Smallpox is a highly contagious disease caused by the virus Varoila major. Smallpox was a very serious threat during the Colonial era because doctors understood very little about the biology of diseases.

When and where did smallpox originate? . . . — Map (db m104606) HM

Pennsylvania (Cumberland County), Carlisle — SmallpoxScourge of the 18th Century
Smallpox and the Revolutionary War George Washington understood the threat of smallpox. Washington himself had survived the disease when he was 19. He knew there were two ways to control smallpox: variolate the healthy or quarantine the sick. The . . . — Map (db m104607) HM
Pennsylvania (Cumberland County), Carlisle — SmallpoxScourge of the 18th Century
Smallpox at Quebec In December 1775, over a thousand Continental Army Soldiers, under the command of General Benedict Arnold and General Richard Montgomery, assembled outside Quebec. The men were tired and weak from a long, cold march. Like . . . — Map (db m104608) HM
Pennsylvania (Cumberland County), Carlisle — Technical HistoryWhat is a redoubt?
A redoubt is a small temporary fortification of entrenched earth and wood. These battlefield strong points were designed to provide cover for defending infantry and artillery as well as slow down an attacking force. Several construction elements . . . — Map (db m104610) HM
Pennsylvania (Cumberland County), Carlisle — The Battle of the Ia Drang Valley
The 1st Cavalry Division (Air Mobile) arrived in Vietnam in September 1965. Their mission was to defeat the enemy by pioneering a new concept of warfare that used helicopters to fly over enemy positions or rough terrain and insert troops directly . . . — Map (db m104445) HM
Pennsylvania (Cumberland County), Carlisle — The Capture of Redoubt #10Yorktown, Virginia — October 14, 1781
The dream of American Independence remained uncertain after five years of war. During the fall of 1781, a Franco-American force under the command of General George Washington besieged General Lord Cornwallis’ heavily entrenched British Army at . . . — Map (db m104609) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Blakeslee — Easton and Wilkes-Barre Turnpike
A privately-owned toll road was chartered in 1803 and completed by 1816. It followed the course of today’s route 115 in our township, with tollgates about every 17-miles. Grain from the Wyoming Valley, lumber from the Poconos, and building plaster . . . — Map (db m104520) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Blakeslee — Harrison Amusement Park
From 1930,families flocked here, to a creekside beach and attractions on both sides of the road: Sporting fields, miniature railroad, carousel, stone skating rink, clubhouse, swimming pools, dining hall and penny arcade. The place was hopping as . . . — Map (db m104525) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Blakeslee — The First Schoolhouse
Our community pioneered public education before the state mandated it in 1834. A log schoolhouse was built in 1831, with Miss Sarah Winters as the first teacher. Few married women were employed in that era. By 1860, the township’s four schools each . . . — Map (db m104529) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Blakeslee — The Great Swamp
The local landscape was formed over 11,000 years ago by the retreating Wisconsin glacier. As the ice melted, it left behind massive boulders and rocks, known as “drift deposits”. This geological event created vast areas of swampy land . . . — Map (db m104530) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Lake — Forest Products Industry
The area’s vast timber resources spawned a myriad of wood-related industries. 30 sawmills existed in 1830. With increasing demand, larger sawmills and specialty production opened, including a clothespin factory. Over 20 products were made, such as . . . — Map (db m104540) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Lake — Isaac Stauffer"King of the Poconos"
Stauffer (1834-1919) engaged in lumbering on an enormous scale, reinvesting his profits in land. He accumulated over 4,000 acres in this area. Business ventures included manufacturing, a saw mill, ice companies and Pocono Lake’s first phone company. . . . — Map (db m104545) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines — Ice Harvesting Industry
Ice was harvested on local lakes from 1896 thru the 1940s. Vast icehouses insulated with sawdust at Naomi Lake, Pocono Lake, Stillwater Lake, Anglewood lake and Brady’s Lake kept tons of ice frozen through summer. Blocks of ice were shipped by rail . . . — Map (db m104537) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines — Naomi Pines House
Franklin Comfort Miller opened a summer resort on this site in 1888. His beautiful Victorian hotel offered guests lush woodlands, pure streams and healthy spring water. Naomi Lake (1895) added swimming and boating. Room cost of $8 weekly included . . . — Map (db m104543) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines — Pocono Pines Assembly
An independent “Chautauqua” was organized in 1902 by followers of Rev. Rufus W. Miller. Occupying 300 acres, it was initially named “Naomi Pines Assembly and Summer Schools”. Hotels. Auditorium and a library provided . . . — Map (db m104490) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines — The First Fire Company / The Clymer Library
The First Fire Company Built in 1935, the Pocono Pines Fire Company included offices for police, township supervisors and support staff. Its Goodwill Community Club offered space for public “meetings, suppers and various . . . — Map (db m104528) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines — Tobyhanna Township
The first permanent settlers were attracted to this area by an abundance of natural resources: land, trees, water. The township was incorporated in 1830, with 230 residents. It was named after Tobyhanna Creek, “A stream lined with . . . — Map (db m104538) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines — Wilkes-Barre and Eastern Railroad
In 1893 a single track line was built from Wilkes-Barre to Stroudsburg. It was the shortest route to a connecting line, taking anthracite coal to tidewater ports in New Jersey for domestic and export markets. With stations at Naomi Pines, Pocono . . . — Map (db m104547) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — African Methodist Episcopal Church Beginnings
Early A.M.E. Missionaries to South Carolina, Rev. James H.A. Johnson and Rev. James A. Handy, arrived at Hilton Head on the Steamship Arago at 3:18 p.m. Friday, May 12, 1865. Rev. James Lynch, also an A.M.E. Missionary, shared entertainment . . . — Map (db m104498) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — 7-42 — Cherry Hill School
(Front) This one-room frame school, built ca. 1937, was the first separate school building constructed for African-American students on Hilton Head Island. It replaced an earlier Cherry Hill School, which had held its classes in personage of St. . . . — Map (db m104496) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — First African Baptist Church
Oldest Baptist church on Hilton Head Island Organized August 17, 1862 in the town of Mitchelville with 120 members Building was moved to present location later and rebuilt in 1966 Rededicated October 30, 1988 Rev. C.W. Aiken, Pastor . . . — Map (db m104497) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — 7-37 — First African Baptist Church
(front) This church, organized in 1862, was first located in the town of Mitchelville, a freedman’s village established on Hilton Head by the United States Army. Rev. Abraham Murchinson, its first pastor, was a former slave. The . . . — Map (db m104580) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — Hilton Head Island
This marker has been erected as a lasting tribute to the following men who envisioned Hilton Head Island as a place where man could commune with Nature and the Forest and all things that dwell therein. These men determined that no . . . — Map (db m104507)
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — 7-55 — Queen Chapel A.M.E. Church
(front) The congregation of Queen Chapel can trace its roots to May 1865 when A.M.E. missionaries Rev. R.H. Cain, Rev. James H.A. Johnson and James A. Handy arrived on Hilton Head Island. They visited the Freedman’s town of Mitchelville . . . — Map (db m104583) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Greenwood — Greenwood SC Memorial Marker
First: In memorial to Daniel W. Urquhart WWII Navy Veteran Original Crew member of USS Bon Homme Richard (CV31) Organizer and life member of Greenwood DAV Chapter 42 Organizer Newberry DAV chapter 60 Vice Commander District 3 CFW Chapter 8131 . . . — Map (db m104012) WM
Texas (Floyd County), Floydada — 1003 — Commercial Hotel
Alabama native William P. Daily (1865-1941) and his family arrived in Floyd County in 1911, settling briefly in the Muncy community (5 mi. N). After moving to Floydada to open a feed, coal, and wagon yard, Daily recognized the need for a hotel here. . . . — Map (db m104573) HM
Texas (Floyd County), Floydada — 1202 — Della Plain
A severe drought in the mid-1880s brought Baylor County rancher T. J. Braidfoot to this area in search of better conditions for his cattle. In 1887, with the support of J. R. McLain of Seymour, he founded the settlement of Della Plain at this site. . . . — Map (db m104571) HM
Texas (Floyd County), Floydada — 1244 — Dolphin Ward Floyd
When this county was created by the Texas legislature in 1876, it was named in honor of Dolphin Ward Floyd (1804-1836). A native of North Carolina, Floyd left his home in 1825 and arrived in Gonzales, Texas, about 1832. He married Esther Berry House . . . — Map (db m104622) HM WM
Texas (Floyd County), Floydada — 1689 — First Baptist Church of Floydada
On July 19, 1891, The Rev. I. B. Kimbrough and a small group of worshipers met in the dugout home of Joe Arnold to organize the Floyd City Baptist Church. The congregation conducted early worship services in the North Side School building and at the . . . — Map (db m104629) HM
Texas (Floyd County), Floydada — 1753 — First Methodist Church of Floydada
The roots of Methodism in Floyd County can be traced to the 1880s, prior to the founding of Floydada and the formal organization of the county. Circuit riding preachers ministered to pioneer settlers at Della Plain (5 mi. N), and occasional worship . . . — Map (db m104628) HM
Texas (Floyd County), Floydada — 1796 — First National Bank of Floydada
The James B. Posey Bank, established in Floydada in the 1890s, became the Floyd County Bank in 1900 when L. T. Lester joined Posey as a partner. In 1903, with the granting of a federal charter, the name changed once again to First National Bank. . . . — Map (db m104625) HM
Texas (Floyd County), Floydada — 11883 — Floydada Chapter No. 31, Order of the Eastern Star
The Floyd City Chapter, Order of the Eastern Star (O.E.S.), was organized in early 1898 when members of the Floyd City Lodge No. 712, A. F. & A. M. and their families petitioned the Grand Chapter of Texas O.E.S. for a charter. Mrs. Ella B. Starks . . . — Map (db m104627) HM
Texas (Floyd County), Floydada — 1929 — Floydada Lodge No. 712, A. F. & A. M.
Organized by eighteen charter members in April 1891, this Masonic Lodge was chartered by the Grand Lodge of Texas on December 11th that year. Formed just one year after the town of Floyd City (later renamed Floydada) became Floyd County seat, the . . . — Map (db m104626) HM
Texas (Floyd County), Floydada — Floydada, Texas1909 to 2009
In 1890 Floyd City was founded by J.K. Gwynn and M.C. Williams on land donated by James B. and Caroline V. Price of Missouri. The county seat was awarded to Floyd City during the election held May 28, 1890. However, a post office named Floyd . . . — Map (db m104632) HM
Texas (Floyd County), Floydada — 3867 — Organization of Floyd County
Floyd County was created by the Texas Legislature in 1876. In the 1880s, the Fort Worth and Denver City Railway Company began building westward from Wichita Falls, resulting in increased settlement of the area. Ranchers T. J. Braidfoot and J. R. . . . — Map (db m104624) HM
Texas (Floyd County), Floydada — 5953 — Zimmerman House
Oregon native Fred Zimmerman, Sr. (1885-1954) came to the Texas Panhandle in 1916. He acquired a number of farm properties in the area and began a thirty-eight-year career of farming and ranching in Floyd and Deaf Smith counties. In 1930 Zimmerman . . . — Map (db m104631) HM
Texas (Floyd County), Lockney — 1647 — First Baptist Church of Lockney
Led by The Rev. I. B. Kimbrough, nineteen charter members organized the First Missionary Baptist Church of Floyd County in December 1890. Early worship services were held in R. M. Irick's dugout home and the Irick schoolhouse southwest of Lockney. . . . — Map (db m104526) HM
Texas (Floyd County), Lockney — 1761 — First Methodist Church of Lockney
This church traces its history to 1890, when The Rev. R. M. Morris led about twenty-five Methodists in organizing a new congregation. The church members met for worship in the local schoolhouse and under arbors until a frame sanctuary was completed . . . — Map (db m104568) HM
Texas (Floyd County), Lockney — 2777 — John Ellison Burns
Trained as a blacksmith by his father in Alabama, John Ellison Burns (1853-1940) brought his hand-forged tools to Texas in 1874. He settled in the new town of Lockney in 1900 and opened a blacksmith shop. As his business expanded he hired his three . . . — Map (db m104570) HM
Texas (Floyd County), Lockney — 5361 — The J. A. Baker Store
Opened 1894; one of the Texas South Plains' oldest mercantile houses still owned by founding family. James Artemas Baker (1859-1917), founder of this store and town of Lockney, was born near Dallas and lived in Hamilton from 1879 to July 1890, when . . . — Map (db m104569) HM
Texas (Hale County), Plainview — 363 — Bellview Community and School
Much of this rural community's early social and religious history is closely associated with its schoolhouses. Area residents built their first schoolhouse in 1903, one year after organizing a rural school district. Named for trustee John Bell, the . . . — Map (db m104524) HM
Texas (Hale County), Plainview — 1228 — Discovery Site of the Plainview Point(200 yards SE)
The first of this distinctive type of early man dart point was found by 15-year-old Val Keene Whitacre in 1941, in a caliche quarry on Running Water Draw. In 1944, quarry workers uncovered a fossil bone deposit, which was noted by scientists . . . — Map (db m104523) HM
Texas (Hale County), Plainview — 2334 — Halfway
Settlers came to this area seeking abundant grass, fertile soil, and water. This site, acquired by R. L. Hooper (1872-1952) and his wife Ada Mae (Hughley) (1880-1955) in the 1890s, received its name because it stood "halfway" between Olton and . . . — Map (db m104522) HM
Texas (Lamb County), Olton — 4930 — Site of the First Lamb County Courthouse
Created in 1876, Lamb County was unorganized until it could muster 21 qualified voters, 1908. Citizens donated labor for first 9-room frame courthouse, which served until it burned in 1922. First county officials were: Judge H. R. Miller; . . . — Map (db m104521) HM
Texas (Lampasas County), Lampasas — 3273 — McAnelly Settlement
Threshold for settlement of Lampasas, San Saba Counties. Commemorates homestead site of Robert D. McAnelly (1806-1888) who came here in early 1830's; was surveyor of large areas of surrounding land. McAnelly's Bend was named for him in 1858. His . . . — Map (db m104479) HM
Texas (Motley County), Matador — 1079 — Cottonwood Mott Line Camp
The Cottonwood Mott, named for the stand, or motte, of trees which surrounded a natural spring here, was the site of a line camp as early as 1878. Cowboys used the camp as a base from which to work, herding cattle and mending fences on the ranch. A . . . — Map (db m104659) HM
Texas (Motley County), Matador — 2448 — Henry H. Campbell(1840-1911)
A native of North Carolina, Henry Harrison Campbell arrived in Texas with his family in 1854. Following his service in the Confederate army, he worked as a cattle drover. In 1879, with four other investors, he founded the Matador Ranch at Ballard . . . — Map (db m104658) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Essex — Buffalo Soldiers at Fort Ethan Allen1909-1913
In July 1909, the 10th U.S. Cavalry arrived at Fort Ethan Allen for a four-year assignment. Nicknamed the “Buffalo Soldiers” during the American Indian Wars, the 10th Cavalry was one of the first peacetime all-black regiments . . . — Map (db m104492) HM
Vermont (Essex County), Ferdinand — Stewart Holbrook1893-1964
Stewart Holbrook was a logger, a nationally recognized author, and self-taught historian whose topics included Ethan Allen, railroads, and the timber industry. Holbrook, believed to have coined the term “tree farm,” was renowned for . . . — Map (db m104491) HM
Vermont (Rutland County), Mount Holly — Mount Holly Railroad History
During construction of what became the Rutland Railroad, two important events occurred in Mount Holly. In 1848, a construction crew discovered the tusk and tooth of a woolly mammoth in the nearby wetland. These are on display in the Community . . . — Map (db m104493) HM
Virginia, North Danville — North Danville
North Danville was established in 1877 as a distinct town across the Dan River from Danville proper. Its first mayor, John T. Keen, was appointed on July 13, 1880. For a brief period in the 1890s, the town went by the name Neapoils before being . . . — Map (db m104478) HM
Virginia (Carroll County), Hillsville — Carroll County — The Crooked Road — Virginia’s Heritage Music Trail
Caroll County. Carroll County has been richly productive of traditional musicians for generations. Legendary musical families have lived in Carroll since the late colonial period, including the Stonemans, Meyers, Meltons, and Edmonds families. . . . — Map (db m104638) HM
Virginia (Carroll County), Hillsville — U-27 — John Carroll
During the 1842 session of the Virginia General Assembly, despite opposition, John Carroll successfully sponsored a bill partitioning Grayson County and forming a new county, thus fulfilling his campaign pledge. Local tradition holds that the . . . — Map (db m104621) HM
Virginia (Carroll County), Woodlawn — The Stonemans
Ernest V. ‘Pop’ Stoneman (1893–1968) composer, musician and pioneer country music artist was reared near here. His 1924 hit song, “The Titanic” was among the earliest in country music. He and his wife, fiddler and singer Hattie . . . — Map (db m104640) HM
Virginia (Carroll County), Woodlawn — WoodlawnThe Crooked Road — Virginia’s Heritage Music Trail
Woodlawn. Woodlawn and adjacent areas of Carroll County have made a rich contribution to America’s traditional music. Ernest V. (Pop) Stoneman lived here. His recording career with his family began in 1924 and spanned decades of technology, . . . — Map (db m104648) HM
Virginia, Chesapeake — Site of the Nansemond Indian Public School #9
Historic Landmark Site of the Nansemond Indian Public School #9 1890’s-1928 Norfolk County School District #1 Dedicated July 28, 1985 — Map (db m104363) HM
Virginia (Danville), Withers Park — U-52 — Rockabilly Pioneer Janis Martin(1940–2007)
Born in Sutherlin, Rockabilly pioneer Janis Martin combined country influences with rhythm-and-blues singing, crossing musical boundaries and helping launch Rock and Roll. Singing and playing guitar, she won numerous talent contests before she . . . — Map (db m104501) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Chantilly — McAtee's Tavern
This building’s exterior is a reproduction of a tavern built on this site in 1807 by Harrison McAtee. This location, on a section of the Little River Turnpike that opened in December 1806, was advantageous for farmers conveying goods from western . . . — Map (db m104247) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Springfield — Sydenstricker Schoolhouse
In 1897 Barney Deavers deeded land to build Pohick School #8 on this site. The school burned in July 1928 and a new schoolhouse was constructed and opended four months later. Locally known as the Sydenstricker School, it was the last public one-room . . . — Map (db m104249) HM
Virginia (Grayson County), Galax — Z-250 — Grayson County Virginia / North CarolinaArea 425 Square Miles /                        
Grayson County Virginia. Area 425 square miles. Formed in 1792 from Wythe. Named for William Grayson, one of the firsrt two United States Senators from Virginia. Headwaters of the New River are in this county. North Carolina. North . . . — Map (db m104660) HM
Virginia (Henry County), Chatmoss — A-115 — Chatmoss
Chatmoss was one of about 50 Hairston family plantations in Virginia, North Carolina, and Mississippi. This vast network encompassed tens of thousands of acres and was worked by thousands of enslaved African Americans. Alcey and Samuel Harden . . . — Map (db m104503) HM
Virginia (Henry County), Laurel Park — U-40 — Patrick Henry’s Leatherwood Home
Once located to the south was Leatherwood, the plantation of Patrick Henry, governor of Virginia and great orator of the American Revolution. Henry is especially famous for his “Liberty or Death” speech made in 1775 in Saint John’s . . . — Map (db m104505) HM
Virginia (Henry County), Martinsville — A-135 — Belleview
Three miles southwest is Belleview, home of Major John Redd, a pioneer in this section. Redd served in the Indian Wars and in the Revolution, being present at the siege of Yorktown in 1781. — Map (db m104510) HM
Virginia (Loudoun County), Aldie — Elders of the Mount Zion Old School Baptist Church
Beginning in the 1830s, disagreement over doctrine caused a split in the Baptist faith. Some Baptists wished to retain the teachings of the “old school,” favoring a more strict interpretation of the Bible. Disputes arose over the . . . — Map (db m104405) HM
Virginia (Loudoun County), Aldie — First Mass. Cavalry
First Mass. Cavalry 3rd Brigade 2nd Cavalry Division June 17, 1863 Erected By The First Mass Cavalry Association 1889 Killed and Died of Wounds Sergt. C.C. Schwarz Co. A, Pvt. A. Ammann Co. A, Pvt. M.F. Daniels Co. A, . . . — Map (db m104322) WM
Virginia (Loudoun County), Aldie — Mt. Zion Historic Park
Welcome to Mt. Zion Historic Park, a property of the Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority. Built in 1851, this Old School Baptist Church was a place of worship, and also a critical site during the Civil War because of its location at the . . . — Map (db m104559) HM
Virginia (Loudoun County), Aldie — Mt. Zion Old School Baptist ChurchHistoric Site in Journalism
In the graveyard adjoining this church, on June 23, 1863, Harpers Illustrated Weekly's Alfred R. Waud, one of the Civil War's most renowned artists, dug the grave for the burial of his friend Lynde Walter Buckingham, the chief cavalry correspondent . . . — Map (db m104319) HM
Virginia (Loudoun County), Aldie — The Fog of WarThe Mosby / Forbes Chase of July 4 to July 6, 1864 — American Civil War 1861 - 1865
❶ Evening, July 4, 1864: Union Col. Charles Lowell sends Major William Forbes from Fairfax with 157 horse soldiers of the 2nd Massachusetts and 13th New York Cavalry (detachments) on patrol between Aldie and Leesburg to report any . . . — Map (db m104378) HM
Virginia (Loudoun County), Aldie — The Mosby-Forbes Engagement July 6, 1864 — American Civil War 1861 - 1865
The Battle of Mt. Zion Church began just east of here in the late afternoon hours of July 6, 1864, as Confederate Lieutenant Colonel John Singleton Mosby's artillery struck Union cavalry under Major William Hathaway Forbes. Amid a rousing . . . — Map (db m104380) HM
Virginia, Martinsville — A-107 — Fayette Street
Since the late 19th century, Fayette Street has been a gateway to the business, social, and Cultural life of African Americans here. Institutions such as Mt. Zion A.M.E. Church (founded in 1870), St. Mary’s Hospital (1926-1952), . . . — Map (db m104550) HM
Virginia (Patrick County), Meadows of Dan — Z-75 — Floyd County / Patrick CountyArea 376 Square Miles / Area 485 Square Miles
Floyd County. Area 376 square miles. Formed in 1831 from Montgomery, and added to from Franklin. Named for John Floyd, governor of Virginia, 1830–1834. Buffalo Knob is in this county. Patrick County. Area 485 square miles. Formed . . . — Map (db m104615) HM
Virginia (Patrick County), Meadows of Dan — Meadows of Dan — The Crooked Road — Virginia’s Heritage Music Trail
Meadows of Dan. Patrick County is named for a fiddler, Patrick Henry, and is where the Piedmont Plateau meets the Blue Ridge Mountains. Settled in Revolutionary times, it has always been a musical place. Stuart, the county seat, is named for a . . . — Map (db m104623) HM
Virginia (Patrick County), Spencer — U-32 — Frontier Fort
About three miles north stood Fort Mayo, commanded by Captain Samuel Harris in 1756 and visited in that year by Washington. This fort was the southernmost of the line of stockade forts built from the Potomac River to North Carolina as a frontier . . . — Map (db m104593) HM
Virginia (Smyth County), Marion — K-24 — Royal Oak Presbyterian Church
According to tradition, the Upper Holston congregation of the Presbyterian Church was organized in 1776 on John Campbell's land at Royal Oak and built a log structure there. This was one of the first denominations to organize in present-day . . . — Map (db m104671) HM
Virginia, Suffolk — Remembrance Garden Monuments
Not for fame or fortune. Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered all. Sacrificed all. Dared all. And died. The Reverend Doctor Randolph McKim — Map (db m104007) WM
West Virginia (Harrison County), Clarksburg — Combat Wounded
Dear friend, beware as you stand by. As you are now, so once was I. As I am now, so you will be. So get prepared to follow me. “To follow you I am not content. Until I know which way you went.”

We are such things as dreams are made . . . — Map (db m104605) WM

West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Joseph Snider
Born in Monongalia County in 1827, he was a delegate to the First and Second Wheeling Conventions and a member of the Restored Government of Virginia. Appointed colonel of the 7th WV Infantry in 1862, he was wounded at Fredericksburg. In late 1863, . . . — Map (db m104396) HM

174 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement