Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

2996 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 2796
 
Adalbert Stifter and the Solar Eclipse Marker - Wide View image, Touch for more information
By Andrew Ruppenstein, June 15, 2017
Adalbert Stifter and the Solar Eclipse Marker - Wide View
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Adalbert Stifter and the Solar Eclipse
Von hier aus beobachtete Adalbert Stifter am 8. Juli 1842 die einzige im Wien der Neuzeit eingetretene totale Sonnenfinsternis Errichtet 1994 auf Initiative des Jugendclubs "Dingi-Vindemiatrix" . . . — Map (db m107154) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Charles de L'Ecluse (Clusius)
Hier wohnte von 1573 bis 1588 Charles de L'Ecluse, genannt Clusius aus Arras, der berühmteste Botaniker seiner Zeit. Errichtet 1865 von der k.k. zool. bot. Gesellschaft in Wien
Map (db m105667) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Egon Cäsar Conte Corti
Der Historiker und Schriftsteller Egon Cäsar Conte Corti wohnte im diesem Haus von 1933 bis 1953. Gewidmet von Schutzverband der österreichischen Schriftsteller im Verbund der geistig schaffenden . . . — Map (db m105470) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Ferenc Rákóczi
[Marker text in Hungarian:] Ennek az épületnek á helyén allt a XVII. század végén az Aspremont-palota. Ilt szállt meg gyakori bécsi tartózkudásai idején az 1690-es években II. Rákóczi Ferenc, az . . . — Map (db m105870) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Kurt Gödel
Der grosse Mathematiker und Logiker Kurt Gödel 1906 - 1978 hatte hier seinen letzen Wohnsitz vom 9.11.1939 bid zum 10.1.1940 bevor er Wien für immer verliess [English . . . — Map (db m105294) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Ludwig Hevesi1843-1910
Der aus Ungarn stammende Kunst- und Theaterkritiker sowie Feuilletonist des Fremdenblattes und des Pester Lloyd wohnte zwischen 1875 und 1910 in diesem Haus. Er war einer der einflussreichsten Verfechter und Chronist . . . — Map (db m108512) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Mark Twain
In diesem Gebäude wohnte von Oktober 1898 bis Mai 1899 der grosse amerikanische Schriftsteller Samuel Longhorne Clemens (1835-1910) bekannt als Mark Twain [English translation:] In . . . — Map (db m105488) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Moritz von Schwind
In diesem Hause wurde Moriz von Schwind am 21. Jänner 1804 geboren dem Andenken des berühmten Malers die Gemeinde Wien [English translation:] In this house Moritz von Schwind was born, on . . . — Map (db m108196) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — O5
O5 war das Geheimsymbol des Oesterr. Widerstands gegen das nationalsozialistische Schreckensregime 1938-1945 Diese Mahntafel wurde zum andenken an die ermordeten Widerstandskaempfer der oest. Widerstandsbewegung Unter Praes. . . . — Map (db m105417) WM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Peter Altenberg
In diesem Hotel wohnte Peter Altenberg in den Jahren von 1913 bis 1919 ————————— Franz Kafka und Max Brod stiegen hier mehrere male ab Österreichische . . . — Map (db m108429) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Pope Innocent XII (Antonio Pignatelli)
An dieser Stelle befand sich von 1630 bis 1913 die apostolische Nuntiatur. Hier wirkte von 1668 bis 1671 Antonio Pignatelli, der spätere Papst Innozenz XII. (1691-1700). Zur Erinnerung an seinen Todestag vor 300 . . . — Map (db m105701) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Roman Ruins
Im Jahre 1901 wurde beim Bau des Hauses an dieser Stelle ein Stück der Umfassungsmauer des römischen Lagers ausgegraben [English translation:] In 1901 during the construction of the house at this . . . — Map (db m105329) HM
Bermuda, Dockyards (Sandys Parish), Royal Navy Dockyard — North Rock Beacon1960
1960 The North Rock is an isolated outcrop marking the outer edge of the reefs of Bermuda. Since the wreck of the BONAVENTURE in 1593 it has been the graveyard of many ships. In 1912 a beacon was erected on North Rock as a warning to navigators and . . . — Map (db m107322) HM
Bermuda, Dockyards (Sandys Parish), Royal Navy Dockyard — The Broad Arrow
The Broad Arrow, or "crow's foot", is the traditional symbol of British military property and is found throughout Bermuda on milestones and boundary stones, several fine examples of which are on display at the Maritime Museum. The Broad Arrow is . . . — Map (db m107319) HM
Bermuda, Dockyards (Sandys Parish), Royal Navy Dockyard — The Great Western StorehouseCompleted in 1857
Built in conjunction with the Great Eastern Storehouse, this warehouse contained the offices of the Chief Engineer of the Dockyard. The weighbridge for the Yard can still be seen at the northern end of the building. The roof catchment, like those of . . . — Map (db m107317) HM
Bermuda, Dockyards (Sandys Parish), Royal Navy Dockyard — Victualling YardCompleted 1853
A Victualling Yard is an essential part of any naval facility. It is the area concerned with the storage, preparation and packaging of food and drink for the Fleet. The Victualling Yard in Bermuda is surrounded by a wall with only two gated . . . — Map (db m107315) HM
Bermuda, St George’s, St. George’s — First Government House
The back garden of the First Government House was on this site. In 1700, Samuel Day, governor, erected this building. For more than a century, it was in possession of the Tucker Family. During the American Civil War it was occupied by the agent of . . . — Map (db m106350) HM
Bermuda, St George’s, St. George’s — Midshipman Richard Sutherland Dale
In this building then known as Stennett’s Hotel died on February 22, 1815 in his twenty-first year, Midshipman Richard Sutherland Dale, of the American frigate, President, severely wounded when that vessel, commanded by Commodore S. Decatur, . . . — Map (db m106348) HM
Bermuda, St George’s, St. George’s — Settlement of Bermuda
1609   -   1909 In commemoration of the settlement of these islands on the 28th of July 1609 and in honor of Admiral Sir George Somers Kt. at whose instance largely the settlement was effected. This memorial has been erected out of a grant made by . . . — Map (db m106353) HM
Bermuda, St George’s, St. George’s — Thomas Moore
1779 – 1858 Irish Poet and Lyrist Byron’s Friend That little bay, where winding in from ocean’s rude and angry din. The billows missed the shore, and then flow calmly to the deep again. — Map (db m106355) HM
Bermuda, St George’s (St George’s), St. George’s — John Till(1781 – 1829)
To the Glory of God in respectful memory of John Till (1781 – 1829) Senior Warden of this church 1810 to 1825 and Mayor of the Town of St. George 1819 to 1823. He is remembered especially by the townspeople for installing the clock in the . . . — Map (db m106359) HM
Manitoba, Saint Boniface — The Five Saint Boniface Cathedrals
1818-1825 First ChapelWhen the first two Catholic missionaries arrived at the Red River settlement, much work awaited them. Father Provencher constructed a modest log structure to serve as rectory, church and boys' school. 1825-1839 Second . . . — Map (db m106491) HM
Manitoba, Winnipeg — Canadian Northern Railway Freight Lift Bridge, East YardLe pont levant pour marchandises du Chemin de Fer Canadien du Nord, triage de l'est
This bridge was designed not only for heavy freight cars to travel over the Assiniboine River but also for steamships to travel under it. The center span of the bridge lifts and is known as a bascule bridge (from the French word for "see-saw"). . . . — Map (db m106490) HM
Manitoba, Winnipeg — Forks of the Red and AssiniboineFourche de la Rouge et de L'Assiniboine
Strategically located at the junction of two major rivers which form part of a vast continental network, this spot has witnessed many of the key events of Western Canadian history. This was a traditional native stopping place and for this reason La . . . — Map (db m106447) HM
Manitoba, Winnipeg — The Creation of ManitobaLa Création du Manitoba
Angered that they had not been consulted about the transfer of the Hudson's Bay Company territories to Canada, the inhabitants of the Red River Settlement, led by Louis Riel, in 1869 proclaimed a Provisional Government which took control of the . . . — Map (db m106489) HM
Manitoba, Winnipeg — The Path of Time
"The Path of Time" celebrates the procession of history at The Forks that continues to the present. The tools used to shape the Prairies - stone axes, scythes, locomotives, steam tractors, computers - are reflected, each in turn, on the . . . — Map (db m106418) HM
New Brunswick (Albert County), Hillsborough — Combat of the/du Petitcodiac

Near this town on 3rd September 1755, a detachment of Major Frye's troops, sent from Fort Cumberland to destroy Acadian settlements on the river and compel the people to surrender for deportation, was defeated by a French force under Charles . . . — Map (db m106630) HM

New Brunswick (Albert County), Hopewell Cape — the ebb and flow of Fundy / flux et reflux des eaux de Fundy

Imagine 100 billion tons of water moving in and out of a bay twice every 25 hours. Powered by the gravitational pull of the moon and the sun, Fundy's tides are among the highest in the world and vary daily with the changing positions of . . . — Map (db m106860) HM

New Brunswick (Albert County), Hopewell Cape — the Flowerpots / les pots de Fleurs

Although the flowerpot rocks come in a variety of different shapes and sizes, they have all been formed over millions of years by the dynamic movements of the earth and erosion from glaciers, tides, snow, ice and winds.

The story of the . . . — Map (db m106812) HM

New Brunswick (Albert County), Hopewell Cape — 18th Century Anchor

This 18th century anchor retrieved from the Petitcodiac River at Hopewell Cape in 1981 by Jack Weldon

Donated to the Albert County Historical Society by his wife Grace and sons James, Thomas and Dale

This plaque was . . . — Map (db m106638) HM

New Brunswick (Albert County), Hopewell Cape — Albert County Court HouseLa palaise de justice du comté d'Albert

Designed by local architect Watson Reid, this magnificent Court House was built in 1904 partially on the same foundation as the original that was lost to fire earlier. The County Council reluctantly agreed to pay the whopping $4,495 price . . . — Map (db m106750) HM

New Brunswick (Albert County), Hopewell Cape — Albert County Museum / Musée du comté d'Albert

This small rectangle of land was part of a 738 acre tract originally granted to Robert Dickson Esq. and Jesse Converse on 8 May 1789. The original land grant encompassed all of present day Hopewell Cape. Later, after being acquired by the . . . — Map (db m106770) HM

New Brunswick (Albert County), Hopewell Cape — County Gaol / La prison du comté

An original Shiretown building, the bottom floor of the Gaol was built with three cells and a gaol keeper's apartment. The second story was added around 1902 to provide better accommodations for the gaol keeper's family.

À l'origine . . . — Map (db m106769) HM

New Brunswick (Albert County), Hopewell Cape — County Records Office / Le bureau des archives du comté

An original Shiretown building where all real estate and some other legal transactions were recorded. The records also include County births, marriages and livestock identifiers.

À l'origine un édifice du chef-lieu du comté, les . . . — Map (db m106646) HM

New Brunswick (Albert County), Hopewell Cape — County Tax Office / La perception du comté
An original Shiretown building where County citizens made their remittances. The pressed tin interior is a Victorian era addition that contributes to the building's pleasant ambiance.

À l'origine un édifice du chef-lieu du comté, les . . . — Map (db m106705) HM

New Brunswick (Albert County), Hopewell Cape — Hopewell Cape Community HallLa salle communautaire de Hopewell Cape

As Hopewell Cape grew as the centre of County activity, the need for a Community Hall became apparent. This hall was built around 1870 to satisfy that need. Extensive refurbishment has returned it to a fully functioning centre of . . . — Map (db m106749) HM

New Brunswick (Albert County), Hopewell Cape — Right Honourable Richard Bedford BennettPrime Minister of Canada — August 7, 1930 - October 22, 1935

Viscount of Mickelham, Calgary and Hopewell

[Burgundy marker on monument] Rt. Hon. Richard Bedford Bennett 1870-1947

Born at Hopewell Hill, New Brunswick, Bennett moved to Calgary in 1897. A member of the legislature of the . . . — Map (db m106707) HM

New Brunswick (Albert County), Hopewell Cape — Silver Jubilee Lodge and LibraryLa loge et la bibliotèque "Silver Jubilee"

Built in the early 1900's, this building was converted into the Silver Jubilee Lodge and Library for the Hopewell Cape Boys Club. It later served as a branch of the local regional library system. It has been restored to its 1935 . . . — Map (db m106641) HM

New Brunswick (Albert County), Hopewell Cape — WWI 10cm K 14 German Field Gun1914 - 1919
. . . — Map (db m106632) HM
New Brunswick (Albert County), Riverside-Albert — Abner Reid McClelanJan. 4, 1830 - Jan. 30, 1917 — M.P.P. 1854-1867 • Senator 1867-1896 • Lieut. Governor 1896-1902

A. R. McClelan was born in Riverside. At age twenty-three he entered politics and was elected to represent Albert County in the New Brunswick House of Assembly. He was a keen supporter of Confederation, and after Confederation in 1867 he became . . . — Map (db m106867) HM

New Brunswick (Albert County), Riverside-Albert — Early Irish Families to Albert CountyAs Éirinn go dtí an áit seo

Alcorn • Bailey • Barber • Barrett Bartley • Beatty • Beck • Bell Berryman • Balkeney • Bogle • Boyle Breen • Buchanan • Cahill • Cairns Campbell • Carnwath • Carr • Carty Clark • Cochran • Collins • Connors Crossman • Curry • . . . — Map (db m106862) HM

New Brunswick (Albert County), Riverside-Albert — War MemorialLest We Forget — "Their Name Liveth Forever More"

[front] In grateful remembrance of all those who served in past conflicts In memory of those who gave all

Boer War 1899-1902 • W.W.I 1914-1918 W.W.II 1939-1945 • Korean 1950-1953

At the going down of the sun and in the . . . — Map (db m106865) WM

New Brunswick (Charlotte County), St. Stephen — A whale of a tale / Historie de cétacé

In the waters off New Brunswick you'll find magnificent creatures of the deep - among them, North Atlantic right whales, humpback whales and finback whales

In New Brunswick, we're proud to live along the beautiful shores of the Bay of . . . — Map (db m106917) HM

New Brunswick (Cumberland County), Amherst — Dominion Public Building1935 — Registered Heritage Property

[title is text] — Map (db m107024) HM

New Brunswick (Cumberland County), Fort Lawrence — Beaubassin

[Face] The Acadian village of Beaubassin on this site was founded by settlers from Port Royal around 1672. Upon the arrival of Major Charles Lawrence with British troops in April 1750, the French authorities had the village destroyed in . . . — Map (db m106953) HM

New Brunswick (Cumberland County), Fort Lawrence — Trans Canada Highway

Formal opening of the Nova Scotia portion of the Trans Canada Highway from the New Brunswick border to terminals at Caribou and North Sydney, a distance of 279 miles, took place November 22, 1968, at this point; having been constructed as a . . . — Map (db m106956) HM

New Brunswick (Kings County), Sussex — Dominion Building1883 — Sussex Preservation Area Heritage Property

[Title is text] — Map (db m106869) HM

New Brunswick (Kings County), Sussex — Site of One of the First Irving Service Stations

On this site in 1930, K. C. Irving built one of the first Irving service stations. We are proud to donate this land to assist in the development of Peace Park, built for the enjoyment of the citizens of Sussex and their visitors.

Thank you . . . — Map (db m106903) HM

New Brunswick (Kings County), Sussex — War Memorial

In memory of those who gave their lives for freedom and Canada

[Dedicated] 2nd August 1970 — Map (db m106906) WM

New Brunswick (Kings County), Sussex — War Memorial

1914 ~ 1918 [Honored Dead]

John Andrews • John Bloomfield • Allen Bremner Leonard Bunnell • George Bunnell • Harry Carr George Calhoun • Frederick W. Crawford • George Chapman Guy Chapman • Thomas DeCoursey • John Dawson . . . — Map (db m106908) WM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Middle Sackville — Methodist Chapel 1790

The first Methodist chapel in the Sackville area was dedicated in July 1790 by the Rev James Mann. It[']s first trustees were

John Fawcett • William Fawcett John Fawcett Jr • Andrew Wheldon Robert Atkinson

The stone . . . — Map (db m106339) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Middle Sackville — Yorkshire 2000
. . . — Map (db m106381) HM
New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Moncton — Armenian Genocide Centennial Memorial1915 - 2015 — April 24, 1915

In memory of the 1.5 million martyrs of the Armenian Genocide and all victims of genocide

A la mémoire de 1,5 millions de martyrs du génocide arménien et de toutes les victimes de génocide — Map (db m106601) HM WM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Moncton — First Settlers / Premiers Colons

This part of "Le Coude" (The Bend) was in earlier times called Terre-Rouge. Three families from the Grand-Prée region first settled here:

Jean Babineau & Isabelle Breau, circa 1733, followed by Joseph Breau & Isabelle Thibodeau and . . . — Map (db m106603) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Moncton — Joseph Salter Moncton 100 Monument

The Moncton 100 Monument honours Joseph Salter, shipbuilder, entrepreneur and first mayor of the Township of Moncton in 1855.

Local entrepreneurs, whose names are inscribed on this monument, undertook funding of the project as their gift to . . . — Map (db m106613) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — 1919 Booster Pump

A pump-house was constructed on this site in the fall of 1919 to house a large water pump driven by a 40HP electric motor. The pump was installed to boost the water pressure in the Town’s hydrants during times when water was required for fire . . . — Map (db m106382) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — 8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise's) Ferret Armored Car
. . . — Map (db m106554) WM
New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — Anglican Church Rectory1880

The rectory was constructed in the Queen Anne Revival style in 1880 on land given by J.F. Allison and Mary Allison Botsford. The design was prepared by R. C. Boxall and constructed by Mr. J. Teed of Dorchester. Great pains were taken with the . . . — Map (db m106390) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — Battle of NormandyD Day June 6th, 1944 — Juno Beach

A vial of sand taken from Juno Beach has been poured into the header of this memorial to honor the 14,000 Canadians who took part in the Battle of Normandy — Map (db m106592) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — Copp Block1897

The Copp Block was built for A.B. Copp, lawyer, politician, Secretary of State and Senator. The ground floor has served as a law office ever since construction and Senator Copp maintained an office here from 1897 until his death in December of . . . — Map (db m106472) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — Dr. Copp's House1880 [sic - 1895]

In the early 1900's, this was the home and office of Dr. E.M. Copp, a medical doctor. His career began as a general practice and he delivered many a baby. After a residency in New York [C]ity, he became an eye, ear, nose and throat specialist. — Map (db m106526) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — George F. G. Stanley

Erected by the Town of Sackville to commemorate the designer of the Canadian flag George F. G. Stanley C.C., C.D., K.StJ., D.Phil., LL.D. Former Lieutenant-Governor of New Brunswick, Professor, Historian, Second World War . . . — Map (db m106430) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — Harold GeddesIn Memoriam

Harold Geddes was a local landmark. Small in stature, he stood tall in this community.

Orphaned in the Halifax Explosion of 1917, he was adopted by Charles and Alice Geddes of Sackville.

On retirement from his job as a custodian at . . . — Map (db m106479) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — HMCS/NCSM Sackville

This garden is named in honour of HMCS Sackville, a corvette that had a distinguished career during the Second World War. She was launched on May 15, 1941 in Saint John, New Brunswick and was christened by Mrs. J.E.W. Oland in the . . . — Map (db m106595) HM WM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — Marshlands Inn1850

Built by the Hon. William Crane, an early Sackville merchant, landowner, politician and partner of Charles Frederick Allison. The home was a wedding present for his daughter Ruth and Edward Cogswell and was known as Cogswell House. In 1895, it . . . — Map (db m106525) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — Miller Block1913

Harris Miller had this two storey building constructed in 1913. It began as three store fronts with four apartments on the second floor.

Over time Harris Miller, Henry Berman, Arthur Sharpe and the Estabrooks brothers operated clothing and . . . — Map (db m106426) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church1905

Presbyterians worshipped in Middle Sackville from the 1840's and built a church there in 1871 which was used until the turn of the century when they began to meet in Sackville. The present structure was built as a two-storey hall and dedicated . . . — Map (db m106527) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — St. Paul's Anglican Church1856

The construction of St. Paul's began in 1856, based on a model brought by the Rt. Rev. John Medley, First Bishop of Fredericton. Bishop Medley's interest in Gothic Revival architecture, recreating a medieval stone building in New Brunswick . . . — Map (db m106421) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — The Ford Block1894

This building stands on land originally part of the Bowser Farm property purchased from Daniel Hawkins in 1777. In 1894 local merchant George E. Ford acquired a five acre lot, on which he constructed this block as a department store in three . . . — Map (db m106470) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — The Henderson Block1900

Built by Henry Fawcett and A.B. Copp in 1900, this block was the home of the Sackville Book Store, owned by W.R. Goodwin until 1906, and then also a drugstore operated by W.R. Rodd, a druggist and optician.

For a time, it was known as the . . . — Map (db m106473) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — The Royal Canadian Air Force — Lest we forget / Nous nous souviendrons

The Royal Canadian Air Force has stood on guard for Canada since 1924. Over three hundred and twenty five Sackville area residents and students of Mount Allison University have served in the R.C.A.F. both here and abroad from the First World . . . — Map (db m106550) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — The Wood Block / L'Edifice Wood1914 — New/Nouveau Brunswick Provincial Historic Site / Lieu historique provincial

Constructed of local stone, this Romanesque Revival building is closely associated with Josiah Wood, a prominent Westmoreland County businessman and politician. The upper-level theatre is a unique design feature.

Cet édifice en pierre . . . — Map (db m106521) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — Town Hall1924

Once the Amasa Killam property, granted in 1765, this site has contained a number of commercial stores including the Crane-Allison store. The intersection has long been called Crane's Corner. Other stores operating at this site were Smith & . . . — Map (db m106476) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — War Memorial

Their Name Liveth Forevermore

1914 - 1918 Roland Beal • Frank Milner • Arthur Bourque George Bickerton • Ralph Crossman • Alpheus Crossman Stanley Crawford • Arthur DeVarenne • Henry Dixon Virgile Gaudet • Winfred Hicks • Walter . . . — Map (db m106556) WM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), Balmoral Mills — Balmoral Grist Mill

[1.] Water turbines the power that ran the mill

This illustration shows one type of setup for a turbine driven gristmill.

Illustration from "the Red Mill Reborn". Used with permission of 'Lou Robertella, . . . — Map (db m108181) HM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), Balmoral Mills — Local Granite Stone

You can see where some of the rock has been removed to make a millstone

Located at Kennedy Hill, Central New Annan Donated by Mr. William Woodlock — Map (db m108169) HM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), Balmoral Mills — Sutherland Sawmill Turbine

This turbine came from a sawmill located a few hundred yards upstream of our mill

The saw mill was built ca 1886 by brothers James and Alexander Sutherland. Another brother Robert, built a blacksmith shop on the same property. The . . . — Map (db m108182) HM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), Balmoral Mills — Turbines: From Direct to Indirect Power Production

Turbines began to become commonplace in the mid-1800's and had virtually replaced vertical waterwheels by the mid 1860's.

Below are a number of illustrations showing typical mill setups and power transfer.

In 1881 the Schoellkopf Power . . . — Map (db m108183) HM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), Brule Corner — Duncan MacLanders and Johanne Faulkner

Within this iron fence lies Duncan MacLanders 1788 - 1870 and Johanne Faulkner 1788 - 1876

First of the line to leave the shores of Scotland and seek a freer and fuller life in the New World.

Erected by descendants . . . — Map (db m108165) HM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), Tatamagouche — Naval Encounter at Tatamagouche(15th June, 1745)

In this harbour Capt. David Donahew of New England with three armed vessels surprised Lieut. Paul Marin's allied force en route from Annapolis Royal to Louisbourg. He drove them ashore, disheartened the Canadian Indians and prevented the French . . . — Map (db m108133) HM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), Tatamagouche — War Memorial

In memory of those who gave their lives in the Great War 1914 - 1918

Alexander Henderson • George McIntosh Freeman McLellan • Harry McLellan George Powers • Arthur Rose • William Tattrie Roy Weatherby • George Weatherby Orrin . . . — Map (db m108154) WM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), The Falls — St. Andrew's Presbyterian ChurchThe Falls, Nova Scotia — 1872 - 2002

The land for the church was donated by Mr. John R. Hayman and was contracted to be built for the sum of one thousand, four hundred thirty two dollars. The closing service for St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church was held . . . — Map (db m108184) HM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), Truro — Centennial of Presbyterian Church Formation in Canada

Legend

This plaque commemorates

The centennial of the formation of the Presbyterian Church in Canada in 1875; The ministry of the Rev. Daniel Cock (1771-1805) of Greenock, Scotland, and the Rev. David Smith (1771-1795) of St. . . . — Map (db m108220) HM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), Truro — First Presbyterian/United Church

Town of Truro Registered Heritage Property

Nova Scotia Provincial Heritage Property — Map (db m108223) HM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), Truro — Old Provincial Normal College1877-78

Town of Truro Registered Heritage Property

Nova Scotia Provincial Heritage Property — Map (db m108192) HM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), Truro — The Lumber Jack, circa 1900

The Lumber Jack represents the exciting role Truro has played in development of forestry in Nova Scotia. Truro has always been, and still is today, a centre of forestry activity. The forest industry continues to be the backbone of the local and . . . — Map (db m108243) HM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), Truro — Truro Post Office / Le Bureau de Poste de Truro

This building, opened in 1884, was erected to house the Post Office, Customs and Internal Revenue. Designed under the supervision of federal Chief Architect Thomas Fuller, the Truro Post Office was part of a nation-wide programme to house . . . — Map (db m108244) HM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), Truro — War MemorialLest We Forget

Erected by the Citizens of Truro

In Honor of the Men who during The Great War 1914 - 18 nobly upheld the honor of the Empire in France and Flanders and gave their lives that right shall prevail

[World War II] 1939 . . . — Map (db m108214) WM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Amherst — Edward Barron Chandler1800 - 1880

Born in Amherst, Chandler was called to the New Brunswick bar in 1823. He represented Westmorland in the legislature (1827-36), was a Legislative Councillor (1836-78) and a member of the Executive Council almost continuously between 1844 and . . . — Map (db m107018) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Amherst — Former Site of Amherst Post Office1935 - 1976

[Title is text] — Map (db m107022) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Amherst — Jonathan McCully1809 - 1877

Born in Cumberland County, N. S., McCully practised law in Amherst and was appointed to the Legislative Council of Nova Scotia in 1848 serving as Solicitor General and Government leader in the Council (1860-62). As editor of the Halifax . . . — Map (db m108034) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Amherst — Robert Barry Dickey1811 - 1903

Born in Amherst, educated at Windsor Academy, and called to the bar in 1834, Dickey practiced law in Amherst and sat in the Legislative Council of Nova Scotia (1858-67). A Father of Confederation, he attended both the Charlottetown and Quebec . . . — Map (db m107017) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Amherst — Sir Charles Tupper1821 - 1915

Born at Amherst and educated in medicine, Tupper was elected in 1855 to the Nova Scotia Assembly, becoming Premier in 1864. In alliance with John A. Macdonald, he skilfully manoeuvered unwilling Nova Scotians into Confederation. Having held . . . — Map (db m108038) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Amherst — World Wars Memorial

Erected by Senator and Mrs. Curry in memory of their son Captain Leon Hall Curry and his Brothers in Arms from Cumberland County who gave their lives to their country in the Great German War 1914 - 1918

[Roll of Honored . . . — Map (db m108029) WM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Fort Lawrence — Beaubassin 1672-1750

This area was the site of the Acadian village of Beaubassin, first known Bourgeois settlement. Raided in 1696 and again in 1703 by a force from Boston under Captain Ben Church. Occupied by French troops in 1746 who travelled on snowshoes in . . . — Map (db m106951) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Fort Lawrence — Un hommage à/A Tribute to Jacob (Jacques) Bourgeois

Fondateur, vers 1672, de Beaubassin premier établissement dans la région de la rivière Missagouèche et initiateur de l'agriculture maraîchère en Acadie

Jacob Bourgeois arriva à Port-Royal en 1641 à titre de chirurgien pour la colonie . . . — Map (db m107012) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Pugwash — Evolution of Pugwash IndustryOur Harbour • Our Heritage

Pugwash sits on top the largest salt deposit in Atlantic Canada. The train tracks, bridges, and wharves that defined the tapestry of the village infrastructure changed significantly over the decades as local industry evolved, including the . . . — Map (db m108068) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Pugwash — Nova Scotia ClayworksOur Harbour • Our Heritage

While lobster boats have filled the local wharves for generations, the community's most unique feature may have been the 130 ft. (39.6m) smoke stack belonging to Nova Scotia Clayworks on the opposite side of the harbour. Started in 1889, the . . . — Map (db m108078) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Pugwash — Pugwash HarbourOur Harbour • Our Heritage

The deep harbour of Pugwash has a long and storied seafaring heritage, with many eras of ships carrying lumber and raw materials up and down the Eastern Seaboard.

[Historic Pugwash photos]

"Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only . . . — Map (db m108080) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Pugwash — Pugwash Railway StationOur Harbour • Our Heritage

The Pugwash Railway Station, completed in 1892, is one of only two stations designed by Sir Sandford Fleming that is still standing in Nova Scotia. The station is also famous for its part in the 1957 "Thinkers Conference" where Pugwash native . . . — Map (db m108069) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Pugwash — Pugwash StreetscapesOur Harbour • Our Heritage

Historically, the main streets were lined with hotels, merchants, and services one would expect of a long-standing port village. The village endured seven devastating fires between 1877 to 1929 that permanently changed the street-scape . . . — Map (db m108083) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Pugwash — Pugwash Train Station 1961Pugwash Heritage

The station was built in 1888. Rail service to Pugwash commenced in 1890 and ceased in 1993. Five miles of track linked Pugwash to the Shortline at Pugwash Junction. The Shortline ran from Pictou to Oxford Junction linking it with the rail . . . — Map (db m108070) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Pugwash — The Gathering of the ClansOur Harbour • Our Heritage

All of the community celebrations culminate on Water Street. Canada Day has been celebrated in Pugwash since 1951 with festivities called "The Gathering of the Clans" paying homage to some of its founding settlers. This is also the reason many . . . — Map (db m108076) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Pugwash — The Pugwash Conferences and Masonic LodgeOur Harbour • Our Heritage

The Pugwash Conferences on Science & World Affairs

The Pugwash Conferences take their names from the location of the first meeting, held in 1957, in the village of Pugwash, Nova Scotia, birthplace of their host, American philanthropist . . . — Map (db m108075) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Pugwash — World Wars Memorial1914 - 1918 • 1939 - 1945 — Lest We Forget

[Great War Honored Dead] Douglas Langille • Harold Esty Benjamin Percy Erle Benjamin • William McLean Borden Cecil Raymond Richards • Frederick Elias King Frank Demings • Harry Hector McLellan Andrew Gray McPherson • George Selig . . . — Map (db m108059) WM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Wallace — Saint Matthew's Presbyterian ChurchProvincial Heritage Property

[Title is text] — Map (db m108100) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Wallace — St. John's United Church CemeteryWallace — 1810 - 1934

[List of burials] — Map (db m108101) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Wallace — War MemorialLest We Forget

World War I 1914 - 1918 William Baird • James Bathgate • Alexander Craib James Crooks • Kenneth Hape • Charles MacNutt Elmer MacNutt • Wellsley McCann • Daniel Reeves Chester Slack • Harold Slack • Gordon Tingley Renton Fisher • . . . — Map (db m108094) WM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Wallace Bridge — Simon Newcomb1835-1909

Born at Wallace Bridge, Newcomb moved to the United States in 1853. Graduating from Harvard he became Professor of Mathematics in the U.S. Navy and was assigned to the Naval Observatory. He was soon recognized as an authority on mathematical . . . — Map (db m108085) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Wallace Bridge — Willard Sterling Boyle, C.C.Inventor / Inventeur — Nobel Laureate (Physics, 2009) / Lauréat du prix Nobel (Physique, 2009)

Bill was from Wallace, where his grandfather worked in the quarry and kept the lighthouse. His father was the village doctor until their move to the backwoods of northern Quebec. While there, Bill was home schooled by his mother until age 14, . . . — Map (db m108089) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — A Diverse Fishery

Fishing has been the backbone of Yarmouth's culture and economy for over 200 years. In the early days, salted dried cod was shipped by schooners and barques headed to the West Indies in exchange for rum, molasses and sugar. Today Yarmouth's . . . — Map (db m107349) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — A Footstep into the Harbour

A Footstep into the Harbour The Southwestern shore of Nova Scotia, including Yarmouth County, is home to one of Canada's largest fisheries. For over two hundred years, fishing boats have sailed past this point, as well as from other ports . . . — Map (db m107638) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — Ballard [sic - Bollard]

This Ballard [sic - Bollard]

was located on a wharf in Yarmouth in the early 1900's. It's purpose was to tie ships to the wharf. It weighs 450 pounds.

Donated by Mr. Danny MacIsaac — Map (db m107255) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — Bell
. . . — Map (db m107256) HM
Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — Cape Forchu's Guiding Light

An enduring symbol of Yarmouth's historic and economic ties to the sea, a lighthouse has towered over the rocky headlands of Cape Forchu since 1839, guiding mariners to the safety of Yarmouth Harbour. The current lighthouse was automated in . . . — Map (db m107293) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — Cheboque

Cheboque The name "Cheboque" comes from the Mi'kmaw word for "big marshes", a very accurate name for this area. Beginning at Arcadia, the Cheboque salt marsh sprawls 343 hectares (837 acres) alongside the Cheboque River.

According to . . . — Map (db m107735) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — Explosive Geology

The amazing geological formations you see along the Leif Ericson Trail, and at Cape Forchu, are the result of ancient volcanoes that erupted approximately 444-429 million years ago during the Silurian and early Devonian periods in Earth's . . . — Map (db m107540) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — Harbour of Deception

Harbour of Deception For almost two centuries, Yarmouth's False Harbour has lived up to its name. Located at the end of Cape Forchu, False Harbour's rocky shores have fooled the most experienced and capable of mariners, especially during . . . — Map (db m107719) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — In Dire Need of a Lighthouse

The Town of Yarmouth, and its surrounding area, was settled in 1761 by Planters from Massachusetts. These settlers fished along the coast and harvested lumber from the forests to build homes, businesses and sailing vessels. By the . . . — Map (db m107298) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — Lost to the Sea / Perdus en Mer

The year 1879 was a disastrous one for Yarmouth County, Nova Scotia, with no fewer than 31 vessels lost along with 106 persons. The ships lost were among the best of the Yarmouth fleet, some carrying valuable cargoes. The loss of life left . . . — Map (db m107392) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — M.V. Bluenose Anchor

This Anchor was donated to Freinds [sic - Friends] of the Yarmouth Light Society, by Bay Ferries. The fluke was broken off, when it got caught in [the] rocks on bottom, while at anchor just off the lighthouse. This anchor came off the . . . — Map (db m107648) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — Phare Cap-Forchu / Cape Forchu Lightstation

Balise canadienne Lorsque Samuel de Champlain visita la région en 1604, il la nomma Cap-Fourchu. Un an plus tard, Champlain s'installa à Port-Royal ou, La Cadie, un nom dérivé du nom « L'Arcadie » qu'un explorateur italien aviat donné à . . . — Map (db m107359) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — Pieces of the Past

Pieces of the Past Since 1840, a lighthouse has kept watch over Cape Forchu and the approaches of Yarmouth Harbour.

In 1962, the original lighthouse was replaced with the iconic "apple core" structure that towers over the Cape . . . — Map (db m107551) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — The Power of the Sea

Watching the waves crashing around Cape Forchu provides a small glimpse of the awesome and terrifying power of the sea. It continually shapes the lives of those who live and work by it. A source of beauty, bounty and economic prosperity, the . . . — Map (db m107284) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — The Tusket Islands

The Tusket Islands Located south of Yarmouth, the Tusket Islands extend mainly along the coast, from Pinkney's Point to Wedgeport. The Tusket Island chain was once a great asset to the fishing economy of Nova Scotia's Southwestern . . . — Map (db m107652) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — Welcome to the Leif Ericson Trail

A Yarmouth - Viking Connection? This scenic trail is named after the famous Norse explorer, and son of Eric the Red, Leif Ericson, who may have visited these shores sometime around 1000 AD.

Many scholars regard Leif Ericson as the . . . — Map (db m107487) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Lower West Pubnico — What and When is Le Village Acadien?Le Village historique acadien, c'est quoi?...c'est quand?

Le Village presents the lifestyle, culture and traditions of the Acadians of Nova Scotia at the turn of the 20th century, approximately 250 years after they first settled in the Pubnico area. This is the longest established Acadian region . . . — Map (db m108266) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Lower West Pubnico — A Bond with the Sea / A Sustaining FaithUn lien avec la mer / Une foi nourrissante

Before You Step Back in Time... Though Le Village historique acadien is a created outdoor museum, it speaks to truths about the overall Acadian experience in Nova Scotia, and to the particular life and times of the Pubnicos in the . . . — Map (db m108272) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Lower West Pubnico — Les pionniers acadiens / Acadian PioneersLe Village historique acadien de la Nouvelle-Écosse

Les pionniers acadiens

Pubnico est le plus ancien village acadien encore habité par les descendants des familles fondatrices. Vous trouverez, dans l'annuaire téléphonique, près de 400 personnes du nom d'Entremont. Ils sont les . . . — Map (db m107971) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Lower West Pubnico — Recolter la mer / Harvesting the SeaQuai Dennis Point / Dennis Point Wharf

Récolter la mer Vous êtes debout sur l'un des quais de pêche les plus achalandés au Canada.

Autrefois, le hareng était pêché dans des parcs en fascines, ou « nijagans » inventés par les Mi'kmaq. Le poisson entrait dans le . . . — Map (db m108006) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Lower West Pubnico — Sieur Phillippe Mius-d'Entremont1609 - 1699

Foundateur de la Baronnie de Pobomcoup (Pubnico) 1653

Founder of the Barony of Pobomcoup (Pubnico) 1653

Don du reveil de Pombcoup Sculpteur - Albert Deveau - Sculptor Aout - 1998 - August Remplace - Replaced Sculpteur - . . . — Map (db m107967) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Lower West Pubnico — What and Where is Acadie? / L'Acadie, c'est quoi?...c'est ou?

There is not now and never has been a single definition of Acadie, or Acadia. It all depends on the time period and one's point of view.

Back in the 1600s and early 1700s, Acadie was a loosely defined region that more or less . . . — Map (db m108271) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Lower West Pubnico — Who are the Acadians? / Qui sont les Acadiens?

Acadians themselves can best answer this question, and our staff looks forward to sharing stories and insights into Acadian history and culture. We are also pleased to share some information on this panel for your reading pleasure.

As . . . — Map (db m108270) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Middle West Pubnico — Dennis PointLiving Wharves / Tchais Vivants

Following the fish While Dennis Point's most valuable fishery is lobster, this wharf is also home to Canada's largest ground fishing fleet. This diverse fishery takes our fishermen (and women) to many special fishing areas.

Going the . . . — Map (db m108001) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Ste. Anne du Ruisseau — Église Ste-Anne ChurchUne foi vivante / Living Faith

Une chapelle fut construite à la Pointe-à-Rocco en 1784. Elle fut utilisée par des Acadiens et des Mi'kmaq de la région jusqu'à ce qu'une église plus grande soit construite sur le site en 1808. À la suite d'un incendie dévastateur en 1900, . . . — Map (db m108513) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), West Pubnico — 200th Anniversary Commemoration of the "Grand Deportation"Commémoration du Deuxiéme Centenaire du "Grand Dérangement" — 1755 • 1955

[Title is text - Le titre est le texte]

[Dedicated] August 17, 1955. [Dévoué] le 27 août 1955. — Map (db m108371) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), West Pubnico — 300th Anniversary of the Founding of Pubnico1651 • 1951

A la mémoire de sieur Philippe d'Entremont pionier, colonizateur et fondateur de Pubnico arrivé le 29 août 1651 —————— Pro Deo et Patria . . . — Map (db m108366) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), West Pubnico — 350th Anniversary Tribute to Acadian Women

Hommage aux femmes courageuses et fortes qui ont formé et nourri notre communauté depuis 350 ans

Le 28 septembre 2003 —————— Tribute to the courageous and strong women who have trained and . . . — Map (db m108393) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), West Pubnico — Mémorial des guerres mondiales / World Wars Memorial

A la mémoire de ceux de Pubnico qui ont donné leur vie dans les deux guerres mondiales —————— In memory of those of Pubnico who gave their lives in the two World Wars

1914 . . . — Map (db m108394) WM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), West Pubnico — Musée acadien et Centre de recherch / Acadian Museum and Research CenterUn musée vivant / Living Museum

Cette propriété familiale qui date des années 1800 a une bonne ossature et elle dégage une énergie extraordinaire. Mais pour sentir le pouls du musée, il faut rencontrer les Acadiens et écouter leurs histoires.

Prenons, par exemple, Simon « . . . — Map (db m108360) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), West Pubnico — Perdu aux eaux / Lost to the Waters

L'eau de la mer, des lacs et des rivières peut être source de bonheur, de plaisir, de richesses, mais l'eau peut être aussi source d'épreuves, de malheur.

Ce monument veut rappeler la mémoire de ceux et celles qui furent engloutis . . . — Map (db m108397) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), West Pubnico — Potager Acadien / Acadian Garden

Les plantes dans le jardin sont représentatives de celles disponibles aux Acadiens en 1653. ——————————— Plants in the garden represent those accessible to the Acadians in . . . — Map (db m108362) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — Cape Forchu Lighthouse

This replica was created and donated to the citizens of Yarmouth, Nova Scotia from Doug Koohtow, Holland Landing, Ontario May 28, 2014 — Map (db m107869) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — Coronation Park

Sophia Killam Caie saw a need, and she was determined to meet it. The north end of town - Milton - needed a recreation ground for sports and games.

Mrs. Caie, along with her husband, Robert, owned a portion of land that was ideally . . . — Map (db m107323) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — Early SettlementA Diverse Background

With its sheltered harbour and abundant habitat for a natural food supply, the Yarmouth area was frequented by the native Mi'kmaq before the arrival of European visitors. The area was visited in 1604 by the French explorer Samuel D. . . . — Map (db m106161) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — East and West Camps, RCAF Station Yarmouth Nova Scotia

This plaque was erected to commemorate all Naval, Army, Air Force and civilian personnel who served at the Yarmouth Air Base in the War of 1939 - 1945 to maintain our democratic freedoms. — Map (db m107738) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — First Yarmouth Mayor and Council

The Town of Yarmouth _ Nova Scotia _ On its 75th anniversary as an incorporated town erects this memorial as a grateful tribute to the vision, devotion and unselfish public service of its First Mayor and Council we of . . . — Map (db m107878) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — Frost Park

This park named in honor of Charles Sydney Frost, M.C. Native son who, through diligence and ability, became President of the Bank of Nova Scotia June 14, 1956 — Map (db m107872) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — Frost ParkTown of Yarmouth

[Excerpt from Town of Yarmouth informational sign]

Get your bearings Named after Charles Sydney Frost, a Yarmouth resident who became president of the Bank of Nova Scoita, this green space at the heart of the town is the perfect place . . . — Map (db m107960) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — Hartlin TrailRobert E. Hartlin — 1936 - 2005

Executive Director Yarmouth Waterfront Development Corporation It is with great pleasure that the Yarmouth Waterfront Development Corporation dedicates this trail to the memory of Robert E. Hartlin. The "Hartlin Trail" extends . . . — Map (db m107897) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — Land TransportationConnecting by Road & Rail

Early transportation in Yarmouth was largely centred on the coast. Gradually, road development linked Yarmouth with the rest of Nova Scotia by land and regular passenger and mail services were established by stage coach. By 1891 railway . . . — Map (db m107313) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — Lost to the Sea

Dedicated to the memory of all those residents of Yarmouth County and crew members of ships owned in Yarmouth County who have been lost to the sea We honour those here named as well as those not yet known to us

[Remembered Dead . . . — Map (db m107927) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — Lost to the Sea / Perdus en Mer

The year 1879 was a disastrous one for Yarmouth County, Nova Scotia, with no fewer than 31 vessels lost along with 106 persons. The ships lost were among the best of the Yarmouth fleet, some carrying valuable cargoes. The loss of life left . . . — Map (db m107934) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — ManufacturingGoods & Services for the Marketplace

Early manufacturing in Yarmouth grew in support of the shipbuilding industry, the fishery, and the maintenance of vessels engaged in shipping. The flourishing textile industry had its origins in the ability to import inexpensive raw . . . — Map (db m107320) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — Milton ClockA Symbol of Community Pride & Confidence

Erected in 1911 at a cost of $1,200.00, the original Milton Clock was donated by Mrs. Robert Caie. The mechanical works of the clock were manufactured by J. Smith and Sons, Midland Clock Works, Derby, England. Located in the tower at the . . . — Map (db m106141) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — Political LifeA Colourful Past

During its early development Yarmouth was a part of Queens County and reported to the administrative seat in Liverpool. After 1784 Shelburne became the county town for Yarmouth. More local control was achieved with the formation of Yarmouth . . . — Map (db m106165) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — Rum RunningRum, Risk, and Riches!

The passage of the National Prohibition Act on January 16, 1920 signalled the prohibition of alcohol for general consumption in the United States and provided an opportunity for enterprising Yarmouth businessmen and seamen. Yarmouth-based . . . — Map (db m106221) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — Sarah CorningShe Lived to Serve Others

It is a long way from the farming community of Chegoggin, Yarmouth County, to a small village at the foot of Mount Ararat, but no journey was too far for Sarah Corning if there were children in need of care. Sarah Corning was born on 16 . . . — Map (db m107902) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — ShipbuildingBuilding a Connection to the World

The first vessel known to have been built in Yarmouth was launched by John Sollows at Fish Point in 1764. Over the years, many ships were built in nearby communities such as Argyle, Tusket, Plymouth, Salmon River, Meteghan, and Belliveau's . . . — Map (db m106216) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — Shipbuilding in Nova Scotia / Construction navale en Nouvelle-Écosse

From its early beginnings on Cape Breton Island the shipbuilding industry grew as settlement did in the late 18th century. During the Golden Age of Sail in the 19th century, thousands of wooden vessels of all sizes were built in bays and . . . — Map (db m106067) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — The FisheryA Community Mainstay

A cornerstone of Yarmouth's economy from its first settlement, fishing continues to the present day to be an important aspect of life in the community. Yarmouth fishermen have always pursued a diversity of species: lobsters, scallops, cod, . . . — Map (db m106323) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — War Memorial

To the men of Yarmouth County who fell An•Dom•MCMXIV-MCMXIX

[Roll of Honored Dead] ————————————— To the glory of God and dedicated to the memory . . . — Map (db m107832) WM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — Women Philanthropists

Those Amazing Women The Age of Sail brought a considerable amount of wealth to the port of Yarmouth. There have been many instances in which those who earned these riches undertook projects to benefit the citizens of the area. However, . . . — Map (db m107330) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth Bar — Seafaring Sons of Yarmouth County

On this, the site of the first launching in the county, 1764, this monument is erected in proud memory of all the seafaring sons of Yarmouth County who, "going down to the sea in ships," by their outstanding seamanship and . . . — Map (db m107252) HM

Ontario (Algoma District), Bruce Mines — The Bruce Mines
The original claim to the Bruce Mine location was filed in September, 1846 by James Cuthbertson. It was acquired the following year by the Montreal Mining Company, and production commenced in 1847-48 at what became the first commercially successful . . . — Map (db m105635) HM
Ontario (Algoma District), Desbarats — "Ripple Rock"
The ripple marks on the adjacent rock face were made some two billion years ago by waves in a shallow body of water. Buried by later deposition of silt and then subjected to great pressure, the rippled sand became sandstone. The formation was . . . — Map (db m105638) HM
Ontario (Algoma District), Sault Ste. Marie — Anna Jameson1794-1860
Born in Dublin, Ireland, and raised in London, this famous 19th century author, illustrator and social reformer joined her husband, Robert Jameson, Attorney General of Upper Canada, at Toronto in 1836. The following June, unescorted, Mrs. Jameson . . . — Map (db m105960) HM
Ontario (Algoma District), Sault Ste. Marie — Col. John Prince1796-1870
Here, on a portion of his former estate, is buried Col. Prince who emigrated from England in 1833 and settled at Sandwich, Upper Canada. As commanding officer of the Essex Militia, he stirred up a violent controversy by ordering the summary . . . — Map (db m105739) HM
Ontario (Algoma District), Sault Ste. Marie — Dr. Roberta Bondar
Dedicated at the official opening of Roberta Bondar Park In honour of our hero, Dr. Roberta Lynn Bondar, O.C., O.ONT., M.D., PH.D., F.R.C.P.(C), neurologist, biologist, pilot and researcher. Canada's first female astronaut was a crew member on the . . . — Map (db m106415) HM
Ontario (Algoma District), Sault Ste. Marie — Ermatinger HouseLa Maison Ermatinger
This house, built between 1814 and 1823 by Charles Ermatinger of the North West Company, is the oldest surviving house in northwestern Ontario. Constructed when Sault Ste. Marie was still a small fur trading post on the Upper Lakes, this fine house . . . — Map (db m105955) HM
Ontario (Algoma District), Sault Ste. Marie — Francis Hector Clergue(1856-1939)
A Maine-born promoter, Clergue transformed Sault Ste. Marie into a major industrial centre. He purchased an unfinished hydroelectric station and canal at the Sault in 1894; then, lacking markets for his electric power, he created his own . . . — Map (db m106374) HM
Ontario (Algoma District), Sault Ste. Marie — Nicolas Perrotca. 1644-1717
Explorer, interpreter, fur trader and diplomat, French-born Perrot played an important role in the establishment and protection of New France's western frontier during the last four decades of the 17th century. In 1671 he was with Saint-Lusson at . . . — Map (db m105957) HM
Ontario (Algoma District), Sault Ste. Marie — Passenger and Packet Freighters on the Upper Great Lakes
Until the mid-20th century, passenger and packet freighters were the most efficient means for transporting goods and people to and from isolated communities of the Upper Great Lakes. Essential to early regional development and instrumental in the . . . — Map (db m105959) HM
Ontario (Algoma District), Sault Ste. Marie — Precious Blood Cathedral
This church was constructed in 1875 and dedicated in 1876 as the Parish Church of The Sacred Heart by Bishop Jean-Francois Jamot. It replaced a wooden building constructed in 1846 which had served as a Jesuit missionary post for this region. Built . . . — Map (db m105953) HM
Ontario (Algoma District), Sault Ste. Marie — Sault Ste. Marie Ship CanalCanal de Sault Ste. Marie
Completed in 1895, this canal formed the last link in an all-Canadian navigation system stretching from the St. Lawrence River to Lake Superior. Designed and built by Canadians, the canal incorporated several engineering innovations. It was the . . . — Map (db m106185) HM
Ontario (Algoma District), Sault Ste. Marie — Shingwauk Hall
Shingwauk Hall was erected in 1935 to house a residential training school established in 1873 by the Reverend Edward F. Wilson. Under this Anglican missionary's tutelage the institution, named after the well-known Ojibway Chief Augustin Shingwauk . . . — Map (db m105738) HM
Ontario (Algoma District), Sault Ste. Marie — The "Chicora" Incident1870
In May, 1870, Col. Garnet Wolseley arrived here with an expeditionary force of British regulars and Canadian militia aboard the steamer "Chicora". They were travelling to Fort Garry on the Red River to put down an uprising led by Louis Riel. The . . . — Map (db m106362) HM
Ontario (Algoma District), Sault Ste. Marie — The First Sault Ste. Marie CanalLe Premier Canal de Sault Ste-Marie
The French explorers who first reached this favoured Ojibway hunting and fishing ground were soon followed by fur traders and missionaries who built a post and mission. By 1762 the region had come under British control and the trade eventually fell . . . — Map (db m106412) HM
Ontario (Algoma District), Sault Ste. Marie — The North West Company Post
Travellers on the canoe route to the West had to make a portage around the St. Mary's rapids. The North West Company established a fur-trading post south of the river by 1791. After the British abandoned their occupation of the American midwest, . . . — Map (db m106373) HM
Ontario (Chatham-Kent County), Morpeth — The Wilkins Expedition1763
On November 7, 1763 a fleet of small boats carrying nearly 700 officers and men of the 60th and 80th Regiments under Major John Wilkins was forced ashore by a violent storm abut three miles east of this point. The expedition had set out from Niagara . . . — Map (db m108505) HM
Ontario (Kenora District), Kenora — Rat Portage Post
On Old Fort Island a half mile north of here, the Hudson's Bay Company erected a stockaded fur trading post about 1836. This was the first known European structure within present Kenora. In 1861 the post was moved to the mainland, where it formed . . . — Map (db m106495) HM
Ontario (Kenora District), Kenora — Rev. Albert Lacombe, O.M.I.1827-1916
Born at St. Sulpice, Quebec, and ordained in 1849, Father Lacombe took up mission work at Fort Edmonton in 1852. The following year he founded Ste. Anne, first of several Oblate missions he established in what is now Alberta. He won the confidence . . . — Map (db m106498) HM
Ontario (Kenora District), Kenora — The Wolseley Expedition 1870
In August, 1870, a force of British regulars and Canadian militia comprising some 1,200 men commanded by Colonel Garnet Wolseley, arrived in this area en route to the Red River to establish Canadian authority within the present province of . . . — Map (db m106494) HM
Ontario (Kenora District), Township of Machin — Last Spike at Feist Lake
In the 1870s, Canada needed a reliable all-Canadian transportation route between Lake Superior and the western prairie territories it acquired in 1869. After promising a rail connection to British Columbia, the federal government started to build a . . . — Map (db m106540) HM
Ontario (Kenora District), Township of Machin — The Fowler Family and The Last Spike at Feist Lake
John Fowler (1812-1900) was a railway contractor from Yorkshire who emigrated to southern Ontario where he built the Grafton-Cobourg section of the Grand Trunk Railway, leased the Port Hope, Lindsay & Beaverton Railway, and acquired the charter for . . . — Map (db m106541) HM
Ontario (Nipissing District), Calvin — Louise de Kiriline Lawrence1894-1992
Louise Flach was born in Sweden and grew up on the scenic Baltic coast where she developed an interest in nature. Flach became a Red Cross nurse, serving during the First World War in Denmark, and then with her first husband Greb de Kiriline who . . . — Map (db m105640) HM
Ontario (Nipissing District), Mattawa — Canoe Route to the West
Here, when the canoe was the principal means of travel, explorers, voyageurs, missionaries and others bound for the West, left the Ottawa River and followed the Mattawa River to Lake Nipissing, the French River and the upper Great Lakes. For over . . . — Map (db m105630) HM
Ontario (Nipissing District), Mattawa — French-Canadian Settlement and the CPR in the Mattawa area
Francophone settlement rapidly increased in the Mattawa area with the arrival of the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) in 1881. During construction of the rail line, the local economy benefitted from the presence of thousands of French-Canadian . . . — Map (db m105625) HM
Ontario (Nipissing District), Mattawa — Mattawa House 1837
Trading in furs at this junction of historic canoe routes probably began during the French regime. At intervals during the 1820's and 1830's Chief Trader John Siveright, commanding the Hudson's Bay Company's post at Fort Coulonge, sent men to trade . . . — Map (db m105629) HM
Ontario (Nipissing District), Mattawa — The Mattawa Route
When west-bound voyageurs left the Ottawa here at Mattawa, "the forks," they faced 11 portages in the next 40 miles. The Mattawa, or Petite-Rivière, was a key link in the historic canoe route between Montréal and the upper Great Lakes and . . . — Map (db m105631) HM
Ontario (Nipissing District), North Bay — Jean Nicolet
Born in France about 1598, this explorer, fur trader and interpreter came to Canada in 1608. Under orders from Samuel de Champlain, he spent the following two years with the Algonquins of Allumette Island. He was then sent to the Nipissing Indians . . . — Map (db m107579) HM
Ontario (Nipissing District), North Bay — La Vase Portages
The historic La Vase (Mud) Portages began at the head of the nearby pond. These three portages, connecting Trout Lake and the lower La Vase River, were linked by small navigable streams and ponds. They formed part of the great canoe route via the . . . — Map (db m107582) HM
Ontario (Nipissing District), North Bay — Reverend Silas Huntington1829-1905
A zealous Methodist missionary descended from an early New England family, Huntington was born in Kemptville. With his ordination in 1854 he commenced a long Christian ministry, serving various congregations in eastern Ontario and Quebec until 1882 . . . — Map (db m107571) HM
Ontario (Nipissing District), North Bay — The Ontario Northland Railway
In 1900 the Ontario Government ordered a survey for a railway from North Bay to the head of Lake Timiskaming to encourage settlement and provide access to mineral deposits. Construction of the Temiskaming and Northern Ontario Railway began in 1902, . . . — Map (db m107572) HM
Ontario (Nipissing District), Sturgeon Falls — The Founding of Sturgeon Falls
The development of Sturgeon Falls began in 1881 with the arrival of Canadian Pacific Railway constructions teams and the opening of a post office. About a year earlier the community's first permanent settler, James Holditch, had acquired land here . . . — Map (db m107569) HM
Ontario (Nipissing District), Verner — The Reverend Charles Alfred Marie Paradis1848-1926
Born in Kamouraska County, Québec, Paradis studied at Sainte-Anne-de-la-Pocatière College and taught art in Ottawa. Following his ordination in 1881 he was posted to Lake Timiskaming as missionary of the Oblate Congregation. Paradis' travels as a . . . — Map (db m107568) HM
Ontario (Renfrew County), Cobden — Champlain's Astrolabe
Nearby was found in 1867 by Edward George Lee an Astrolabe bearing the date 1603. This instrument, used for determining latitude, is believed to have been lost by Champlain about 7th June, 1613, on his exploratory expedition up the Ottawa River. — Map (db m105537) HM
Ontario (Renfrew County), Cobden — Champlain's Journey of 1613
The Father of New France, Samuel de Champlain, made the first of two voyages into what is now Ontario in 1613. He travelled up the Ottawa River seeking the northern sea (Hudson Bay) which one of his five companions, Nicolas de Vignau, claimed to . . . — Map (db m105539) HM
Ontario (Renfrew County), Deux-Rivières — Rapids of the Upper Ottawa
For over two centuries the Ottawa River was part of the main canoe route to the West. Some of the river's most spectacular and dangerous rapids were located immediately downriver from here: the Rapide de la Veillée, the Trou and the Rapide des Deux . . . — Map (db m105622) HM
Ontario (Renfrew County), Laurentian Hills — Nuclear Power Demonstration Reactor
On June 4, 1962 the Nuclear Power Demonstration (NPD) Reactor 3 km east of Rolphton supplied the Ontario power grid with the first nuclear-generated electricity in Canada. A joint project of Atomic Energy of Canada Limited, Ontario Hydro and . . . — Map (db m105620) HM

2996 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 2796
Paid Advertisement